Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

Default The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

As the football silly season gets underway and rumours abound about various comings and goings on the transfer market, the Rangers support is almost afraid to log on to its favourite website for fear of discovering that another first team player is about to move on.

Boyd has gone, Novo has gone, Smith has gone, Beasley has gone and there`s talk that Kevin Thomson could join them. The club is now so impoverished that any half-decent offer will be looked at, and not just for the fee that comes in; the saving on wages is also an important factor.

The club has announced that Kirk Broadfoot is staying and that a new deal has been agreed with Jordan McMillan and this news will generate about as much excitement and anticipation in the Rangers support as the pope`s impending visit to Britain`s shores.

It`s early days of course and we can only guess at what the first team squad will consist of in the season ahead, but my feeling is that the ship is drifting aimlessly and will continue to do so until the club ownership situation is resolved - and even then there could still be problems to address.

Walter Smith`s stock has never been higher, and this is probably being exploited by club and bank. While he remains in charge, any dissent will have a lid on it, and if the league is lost, Walter will take the flak and move on and let Ally McCoist take over.

Had our former goalgetter taken over this year, it would likely have been his first and last year in the managerial hotseat. Failure would have seen him dismissed as a dud, but if he is brought in when we`re already down, the transition may actually be easier although still with no guarantee of success.

It`s quite possible that the unspoken secret at Murray Park is that there is no real expectation that Rangers will win the league this season, and that the league campaign will be more about marking time until the off-field situation is resolved than actually being genuinely competitive.

No-one dare admit such a possibility, especially in public, but Celtic won`t be expected to blow their financial advantage again this season. It desperately needs to win the league and will spend accordingly. We won`t even attempt to keep pace with Celtic`s level of investment, and the hope must be that Neil Lennon will be the next Tony Mowbray, and to be honest, I don`t think many believe that he will be.

Default Re: The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

It would have been quicker to write "I concede the title".

No surrender.

Whatever happens on the field this season the various off-field ongoings and the contract situations of the playing staff that remain suggest that next season is abosolutely NOT the time for a complete novice - in terms of both a coach and a business manager - to take over as team manager

No matter what fears anyone has about the finances and what our squad will look like, Neil Lennon's Celtic do not intimidate me nor should they intimidate anyone. They too are downsizing, they just spin it slightly better and have a more gullible support.

agreed.

and people wonder at taking a step down to midlesborough. at least the have ambitions to win their league.

who would blame kt if he followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by larrydavidloyal View Post
    No matter what fears anyone has about the finances and what our squad will look like, Neil Lennon's Celtic do not intimidate me nor should they intimidate anyone. They too are downsizing, they just spin it slightly better and have a more gullible support.
    they are downsizing to alot better players than kirk broadfoot and jordan mcmillan

while i am concerned.. i still believe we will fight for this title.. Walter doesnt do 'second best'.. if we lose it, it will be because of on field reasons, ie lack of squad investment and injuries.. not because of any managerial failings..

WATP

No Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by agc1111 View Post
    they are downsizing to alot better players than kirk broadfoot and jordan mcmillan
    Charlie Mulgrew? Debatable.

dont believe it for one minute.

If thats how smith felt - he would have walked.

10. Default Re: The Unspoken Secret at Murray Park?

I am feeling sick today after what has been happening. Concalves publicy stating he wants to sign and who do we get Jordan McMillan. SDOW legend but sorry to old for one more season.KT possibly going to a team who cant get a shirt sponsor. And I have already paid for my season ticket.

I like Concalves but we are well off at the moment in defence, our priorities lie elsewhere, added to this concalves will be working his ticket alerting other clubs to his availabilty through the media.

Quote Originally Posted by uber1873 View Post
    I am feeling sick today after what has been happening. Concalves publicy stating he wants to sign and who do we get Jordan McMillan. SDOW legend but sorry to old for one more season.KT possibly going to a team who cant get a shirt sponsor. And I have already paid for my season ticket.

The biggest worry must surely be that Smith has to admit in public that he's being priced out of transfer deals? That screams out one of 2 things:

That Smith was promised better resources than he has actually been given.
    or
    That Smith was happy to accept the resources offered with no real awareness of what that money would secure in todays market.

And neither option is particularly easy to consider.

Actually a decent post but the real issue is the cancer which is Murray. As with the disease the only real solution, (and even then there is no guarantee), is to remove the cancerous cells and if you do so quickly then you have a better chance of success.

The longer it is left the worse it gets.

Unfortunately we have so far failed to remove our cancer and it does appear to be destroying teh club that we support and that he only ever saw as a money making machine and a way of massaging his own ego!

Until he is gone from our club we will continue to deteriorate and the longer we leave it the less likely it will be that we will ever be the club we once were.

Quote Originally Posted by agc1111 View Post
    Charlie Mulgrew and the "human weapon"??

Not sure I'd class either as a lot better than Broadfoot - in fact, I'd choose Kirk over Mulgrew definitely (can't judge the Korean on the limited exposure so far).

If Ledley signs, as seems almost certain, they've made a decent signing there, but is he better than Davis? Not from what I've seen of him.

They still haven't sorted the centre half position, or got that midfielder that will provide the correct balance defensively. Their striking options aren't exactly great either.

They've got loads to sort out - downsizing in any way will cause them problems. I'm not overly confident due to the instability we have at the club, but I'm certainly not running scared of what they're doing so far either.

Quote Originally Posted by berkshiretrueblue View Post
    Actually a decent post but the real issue is the cancer which is Murray. As with the disease the only real solution, (and even then there is no guarantee), is to remove the cancerous cells and if you do so quickly then you have a better chance of success.

The longer it is left the worse it gets.

Unfortunately we have so far failed to remove our cancer and it does appear to be destroying teh club that we support and that he only ever saw as a money making machine and a way of massaging his own ego!

Until he is gone from our club we will continue to deteriorate and the longer we leave it the less likely it will be that we will ever be the club we once were.
    Sorry but Murray is an irrelevence right now. 10 years ago when we still had assets and revenue streams that he hadn't exploited for his own gain? Murray would be an issue. As a lame duck majority shareholder who has been left with shares he cant sell? Murray is of absolutely no relevence these days.

The problems are of Murray's creation but the mistakes were made years ago. We can focus on Murray, lay all the blame in the world at his plush Charlotte Square door and it'll do nothing to improve the fortunes of our club.

Theres a danger that Murray will continue to hurt us by distracting the support from the difficult choices that need to be made. We're in the position we are and we need to deal with it. Murray only makes it easier to avoid reality by focusing on the big bad bogey man. He's already shafted our club and theres very little room for further shafting.

Quote Originally Posted by iaatpies View Post
    Sorry but Murray is an irrelevence right now. 10 years ago when we still had assets and revenue streams that he hadn't exploited for his own gain? Murray would be an issue. As a lame duck majority shareholder who has been left with shares he cant sell? Murray is of absolutely no relevence these days.

The problems are of Murray's creation but the mistakes were made years ago. We can focus on Murray, lay all the blame in the world at his plush Charlotte Square door and it'll do nothing to improve the fortunes of our club.

Theres a danger that Murray will continue to hurt us by distracting the support from the difficult choices that need to be made. We're in the position we are and we need to deal with it. Murray only makes it easier to avoid reality by focusing on the big bad bogey man. He's already shafted our club and theres very little room for further shafting.
    I hear what you are saying but I fear that despite comments made by Johnston, contradicted by Smith's comments today, that the Bank will continue to bring pressure on us to reduce our debt and in the process sell assets that will be replaced by inferior players on lower wages consequently making us a less competitive team.

If we did not have the albatros of the MIH debt round our neck then I suspect that the Bank would be taking a significantly different view.

Admittedly this isn't helped by our obvious inability to scout players at all levels with frustration levels among the support growing with every passing day.

Quote Originally Posted by berkshiretrueblue View Post
    I hear what you are saying but I fear that despite comments made by Johnston, contradicted by Smith's comments today, that the Bank will continue to bring pressure on us to reduce our debt and in the process sell assets that will be replaced by inferior players on lower wages consequently making us a less competitive team.

If we did not have the albatros of the MIH debt round our neck then I suspect that the Bank would be taking a significantly different view.

Admittedly this isn't helped by our obvious inability to scout players at all levels with frustration levels among the support growing with every passing day.
    But we do have the additional problems of being part of a group thats in serious debt and that had to swap 150million debt for equity barely a year ago. The bank is behaving the way they are because of the circumstances we're in. We're in them and all the "what if"s in the world wont change that.

Murray is the focus of a lot of justifiable anger but getting angry with Murray now doesnt force him to sell to a non-existant buyer and it doesnt help our directors run Rangers on a sounder financial footing and with a degree of ambition.

Before the squad leaves for Australia I can see KT and Boogie having left

Worrying times

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Charlie Mulgrew and the "human weapon"??

Not sure I'd class either as a lot better than Broadfoot - in fact, I'd choose Kirk over Mulgrew definitely (can't judge the Korean on the limited exposure so far).

If Ledley signs, as seems almost certain, they've made a decent signing there, but is he better than Davis? Not from what I've seen of him.

They still haven't sorted the centre half position, or got that midfielder that will provide the correct balance defensively. Their striking options aren't exactly great either.

They've got loads to sort out - downsizing in any way will cause them problems. I'm not overly confident due to the instability we have at the club, but I'm certainly not running scared of what they're doing so far either.
    Exactly.

They've also lost Keane. They appear to be actively inviting offers for McGeady and Boruc.

N'Guemo played a lot of football for them last year and he's gone.

And as well as all this, Neil Lennon has 12 odd games of managerial experience, has already publicly slated his players after their only defeat. He's not had to play any teams that had equal motivation in any of his league games in charge and he has a history of mental illness.

Weak squad + Walter Smith > Better squad (which I as yet would argue they certainly do not have) + Neil Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by ayr__loyal View Post
    Before the squad leaves for Australia I can see KT and Boogie having left

Worrying times
    If that happens it gonna be a bench full of young boys next season

Spot on Number Eight.

I said at the time that Smith agreed a new one year deal that he was doing so to protect McCoist from the disaster that awaits us next season.

Its the 8th of July.

Absolutely no point in judging the squad till the transfer window closes.

Quote Originally Posted by iaatpies View Post
    But we do have the additional problems of being part of a group thats in serious debt and that had to swap 150million debt for equity barely a year ago. The bank is behaving the way they are because of the circumstances we're in. We're in them and all the "what if"s in the world wont change that.

Murray is the focus of a lot of justifiable anger but getting angry with Murray now doesnt force him to sell to a non-existant buyer and it doesnt help our directors run Rangers on a sounder financial footing and with a degree of ambition.
    While I agree that there is little point in getting more angry with Murray is pointless, (and in my case I cant get much more angry since there is not a further stage after sticking pins in the voodoo dolls), I do worry that the recent action by the Bank is just the start of what could potentially end in teh liquidation of the Murray Group which often follows if the initial strategy fails.

Unfortunately at the present time I am not sure that we have the young players who can come in and do a job should players like Bougherra, Thomson and, dare I say it, Davis, are eventually sold and in reality we dont have a management team who are reknowned for their skill in scouting inexpensive quality players outside the U.K.

At the end of the day the support will not accept an extended run of failure in the two horse race which is the SPL.

At present if we keep what we have we should still compete but if we lose our better players then we will quickly become uncompetitive.

Perhaps we will be fortunate and 2011 will see a change in our fortunes with a change of owner, a change f management and a totally new approach to the development of Rangers FC which, if we are honest, has not happened in teh past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leotardo View Post
    It would have been quicker to write "I concede the title".

No surrender.
    or for you to stick your head in the sand

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leotardo View Post
    Charlie Mulgrew? Debatable.
    maybe but hes the worst of the players they have been linked with or signed.

and theirs not much in it.