Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Genuinely World Class Scottish Footballers

Default Re: 10 Genuinely World Class Scottish Footballers

Alan Morton and Jimmy McGrory were 2 names that always cropped up when my grandfather spoke of as world class Scots who could have played anywhere at anytime. But the name he always underlined us the greatest ever Scot and unquestionably world class was Davie Mieklejohn
    Not long after John Greig was named greatest ever Ranger my grand father and I met him. Papa walked up to him hand outstretched saying congratulations on the award John.....well done, but you were no Davie Mieklejohn.

The magnificent bástard, Souness.

Quote Originally Posted by boldvale View Post
    I don't think any player who spent all of their best years in Scotland can be termed world class. (From 70's onwards, so would not apply to Baxter)
    Cant agree with that at all.

Scottish teams werent getting to European finals every year like the 60s but the national team was qualifying for every WC and that wasnt just down to players playing down south.

Lots of great players but none world class for me, yes puskas said Baxter was but he probably have a different answer in every country he visited to appease the fans, and has been said ask 20 top players from every generation in countries such as Germany France Argentina, Italy, Portugal, Holland etc etc and honestly I don't think Many if any would get mentioned as world class.As a nation we have done nothing at international level ever of note, that's the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oduwa View Post
    Cant agree with that at all.

Scottish teams werent getting to European finals every year like the 60s but the national team was qualifying for every WC and that wasnt just down to players playing down south.
    I'm not saying they were not good players, but genuine world class? I could probably hear a case for Jardine or McGrain but Barry Ferguson or even John Greig, no chance. The fact that we were not even getting offers from down South for Jardine or McGrain speaks volumes.

In my opinion and going only on players I've seen.
    Baxter
    Law
    Dalglish
    Souness

There are many great players, but these 4 plus Henderson at a push are the only ones I'd rate as world class.

It was generally accepted that, at the 1974 World Cup, Jardine and McGrain were the greatest full backs at the tournament.

And I remember Bob McPhail (who had seen an awful lot of players in his time) describe Davie Meiklejohn as the greatest player he had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    Alex James
    Alan Morton
    Hugh Gallagher
    Billy Steel
    Denis Law
    Jim Baxter
    Willie Henderson
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Dave Mackay
    Sandy Jardine
    Danny McGrain
    John Greig
    Joe Jordan
    Graham Souness
    Kenny Dalglish
    Joe Jordan was nowhere near world class,neither was John Greig.
    Willie Woodburn would have a shout as would Gordon Smith. Andy Goram was most certainly world class. Davie Cooper at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cheese View Post
    Joe Jordan was nowhere near world class,neither was John Greig.
    Willie Woodburn would have a shout as would Gordon Smith. Andy Goram was most certainly world class. Davie Cooper at his best.
    Is there more than one Gordon Smith?

Graeme Souness

All of the ones mentioned were before my time.

Goram was a great keeper but could you see him playing for one of the greatest sides in the world? The answer for me is no so I wouldn't say he was world class.

Find some room for Ian Black. Could do a job for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by eric4395 View Post
    Lots of great players but none world class for me, yes puskas said Baxter was but he probably have a different answer in every country he visited to appease the fans, and has been said ask 20 top players from every generation in countries such as Germany France Argentina, Italy, Portugal, Holland etc etc and honestly I don't think Many if any would get mentioned as world class.As a nation we have done nothing at international level ever of note, that's the reality of it.
    If you follow the logic of that argument through to it's conclusion, George Best wasn't world class either, and neither was Ryan Giggs

Dalglish and Souness in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Oduwa View Post
    Is there more than one Gordon Smith?
    Yes and ours was not the one in question.😊

John Collins could hold his own in any company.

Quote Originally Posted by jaws73 View Post
    Selected for 'Rest of the World' fixtures on occasion.
    At a very young age I believe too.

Way way before my time, but surely he must've been Scotland's greatest winger at his peak?

Quote Originally Posted by eric4395 View Post
    Scotland had a major role in the development of football from the kick-and-rush mayhem of the early years to the passing game we are familiar with today.

Scots (and Englishmen) were responsible for establishing the game as the greatest team sport in the world.

Scotland had the superior record in international fixtures between the two dominant home nations until the 80s - this was primarily due to our earlier successes.

Therefore, we have to consider players like Neilly Gibson, Alan Morton and Davie Meiklejohn as worthy candidates for the label 'world class'.

Interestingly, Alex James has been cited as a footballing great, as indeed he was. Yet, Bill Struth's side of the 30s usually got the better of Herbert Chapman's Arsenal team - one that formed the backbone of the England side at the time.

In more modern times, Baxter (for a while), Law and Johnstone from the 60s were truly great players, as were Dalglish and Souness a decade or so later. Others mentioned were far too inconsistent to be considered as 'world class'.

Until the 70s we did punch well above our weight in terms of the players we produced. This might not have always been reflected in international results but it certainly was in terms of contributing to the major English clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBaz78 View Post
    Nurse. .

I agree with many of the names already mentioned and I'd suggest Richard Gough in there too.

I'm sure he was the only Scot in a world 11 that contained Maradona. I think it may have been against England in the mid eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBaz78 View Post
    John Collins was not in anyone's delirious fantasy a genuinely world class footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by deedle View Post
    Scotland had a major role in the development of football from the kick-and-rush mayhem of the early years to the passing game we are familiar with today.

Scots (and Englishmen) were responsible for establishing the game as the greatest team sport in the world.

Scotland had the superior record in international fixtures between the two dominant home nations until the 80s - this was primarily due to our earlier successes.

Therefore, we have to consider players like Neilly Gibson, Alan Morton and Davie Meiklejohn as worthy candidates for the label 'world class'.

Interestingly, Alex James has been cited as a footballing great, as indeed he was. Yet, Bill Struth's side of the 30s usually got the better of Herbert Chapman's Arsenal team - one that formed the backbone of the England side at the time.

In more modern times, Baxter (for a while), Law and Johnstone from the 60s were truly great players, as were Dalglish and Souness a decade or so later. Others mentioned were far too inconsistent to be considered as 'world class'.

Until the 70s we did punch well above our weight in terms of the players we produced. This might not have always been reflected in international results but it certainly was in terms of contributing to the major English clubs.
    Brilliant insightful post.

Non Rangers -
    Billy Bremner
    Kenny Dalglish
    Danny McGrain
    Jimmy Johnston
    Alan Hansen
    Dave MacKay
    John White
    Alan Gilzean

From those who have played in my lifetime -

Law
    Baxter
    Dalglish
    Cooper
    Souness.
    Henderson.

My old man always raved about Gordon Smith, indeed he compared him to Laudrup. He holds a record which will surely never be beaten, ie a league winners medal with three different teams and none of them us or the mhanks.