Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

  1. #26
    Join Date
    22-08-2010
    Location
    At War For Rangers
    Posts
    9,789

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jock View Post
    Walter Smith was an exceptional "man manager" who knew who to kick in the balls and who to wrap his arms around.
    It was interesting to hear that he took on the advice of someone like Billy Connolly who obviously wasn't a football expert (being a Partick Thistle supporter after all).... .....but he quite obviously has a great talent for dealing with personalities that are a bit "out there!"
    For me that just shows the depth of man management skills that Walter Smith had......and don't forget small things like he and Ethil had Gazza to their home for Christmas Dinner.
    That sort of commitment says it all for me!
    Without a doubt, the man could read a character, like his good friend Alex Ferguson in that respect. It's a great skill in life that few have.

    His man management skills were exceptional, and importantly 9 times out of 10 achieved success for the club. A lesser man wouldn't have been able to get out of Gascoigne or other players what Smith did for Rangers. He was a giant in that respect.

    Whenever we have one of those rare offfield incidents or training ground bust ups like all clubs have, it's difficult not think I wonder how it would pan out if Walter was dealing with it. Just comes with be a fan of a certain era I suppose.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by bornabluenose View Post
    The kind of man who garners respect.
    It's the one thing I loved more than anything about having Walter as our manager, you knew he had the respect of everyone and you knew his players would run through brick walls for him. Even the press were too scared of him to give him the shite they give our other managers.

    As much as people loved a moan about his preferred style (myself included at times) I genuinely miss him. Which isn't a surprise really considering he was a trophy hoarding winner.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    7,640
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodymann View Post
    Without a doubt, the man could read a character, like his good friend Alex Ferguson in that respect. It's a great skill in life that few have.

    His man management skills were exceptional, and importantly 9 times out of 10 achieved success for the club. A lesser man wouldn't have been able to get out of Gascoigne or other players what Smith did for Rangers. He was a giant in that respect.

    Whenever we have one of those rare offfield incidents or training ground bust ups like all clubs have, it's difficult not think I wonder how it would pan out if Walter was dealing with it. Just comes with be a fan of a certain era I suppose.
    I can't help but think the Barton saga would have been very different had Walter been in charge. Would it even have got out of Aucenhowie?

  4. #29

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by loud strop View Post
    Good find otl, which particular liar amongst that lot produced this Jackanory?

    I won't give them the hit to find out.
    Hugh MacDonald.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    18-01-2007
    Location
    kirkintilloch
    Posts
    853

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    He did **** all for us that season
    And neither did laudrup . He was keeping himself for Chelsea ... which didn't exactly go to plan

  6. #31
    Join Date
    13-06-2008
    Location
    Kirkintilloch
    Posts
    2,890

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mearns Ranger View Post
    So many reasons behind us not getting 10. Selling Gazza, or not, is just one of them.

    As Rez 1873 says, winning one game between January and March played a part, but even then, after beating Celtic to go above them, we then lost to Aberdeen. Killer blow. We lost our last home game to Killie in injury time. Another killer blow. In November, Stubbs injury time equalizer in the 1-1 rearranged Diana game Killer blow. If any one of these games had resulted in a victory, we'd have taken the title. It is unfair to single out Gascoigne for praise or pelters that season. There were many who never performed, and ultimately it was left to an ageing McCoist and Albertz to almost get us there. If others had stepped up even towards the death, we might just have got there.
    Agreed, good analysis of what happened.

    W.A.T.P.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    09-08-2006
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    15,293

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by super_ally_the2nd View Post
    I can't help but think the Barton saga would have been very different had Walter been in charge. Would it even have got out of Aucenhowie?
    I've often thought that myself.
    Barton was quite obviously a player that had to be "man managed" as he was a bit of a maverick and Walter wouldn't have stood for any of his shite but I'm quite sure he'd have gotten the best out of him.
    To my mind, sending Barton packing was just taking the easy option.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by kilsyth Loyalist View Post
    And neither did laudrup . He was keeping himself for Chelsea ... which didn't exactly go to plan
    Complete and utter shite. Paid for injury treatment out his own pocket

  9. Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mearns Ranger View Post
    So many reasons behind us not getting 10. Selling Gazza, or not, is just one of them.

    As Rez 1873 says, winning one game between January and March played a part, but even then, after beating Celtic to go above them, we then lost to Aberdeen. Killer blow. We lost our last home game to Killie in injury time. Another killer blow. In November, Stubbs injury time equalizer in the 1-1 rearranged Diana game Killer blow. If any one of these games had resulted in a victory, we'd have taken the title. It is unfair to single out Gascoigne for praise or pelters that season. There were many who never performed, and ultimately it was left to an ageing McCoist and Albertz to almost get us there. If others had stepped up even towards the death, we might just have got there.
    Good post there was an accumulation of things that cost us.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    22-10-2006
    Location
    The bar convener
    Posts
    11,392

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    Complete and utter shite. Paid for injury treatment out his own pocket
    Crap.
    Laudrup was a shadow of himself in our quest for ten.
    As someone else said last minute goal from Stubbs cost us dearly, win that night and it was finished.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by amabluestar View Post
    Crap.
    Laudrup was a shadow of himself in our quest for ten.
    As someone else said last minute goal from Stubbs cost us dearly, win that night and it was finished.
    Yeah persistent injuries will do that to you. I don't like the stick Laudrup gets for that season, if anything it's pathetic we expected him to carry us for a third season, having carried us during 7 and 9 in a row.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    12-10-2006
    Location
    Where The Angels Play
    Posts
    12,602
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    Complete and utter shite. Paid for injury treatment out his own pocket
    As great as Laudrup was for us I also think he was a shadow of himself that season and i put it down to the Chelsea move

  13. #38
    Join Date
    22-10-2006
    Location
    The bar convener
    Posts
    11,392

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    Yeah persistent injuries will do that to you. I don't like the stick Laudrup gets for that season, if anything it's pathetic we expected him to carry us for a third season, having carried us during 7 and 9 in a row.
    The Gazz man carried us to eight. Brian took us to nine.
    Laudrup downed tools in his last season.
    Murray the c..t could have banked 5 Million for him but didn't because we would have went nuts selling our best player.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that 5 Million could have been re invested in quality and we would have sailed ten.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    11-10-2006
    Location
    West Enclosure
    Posts
    2,815

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by ontheline View Post
    It really is strange how journos twist everything these days.
    18:18 Walter says he read an article, that Billy Connoly said.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51i67RTnB4Q&t=997s

    Now the journo has a meeting between the 2 and Connolly giving Walter advice.
    What a load of codswallop
    To be fair Walter told the story on Graham Hunters Podcast that he met Billy and that's what he said to him.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by amabluestar View Post
    The Gazz man carried us to eight. Brian took us to nine.
    Laudrup downed tools in his last season.
    Murray the c..t could have banked 5 Million for him but didn't because we would have went nuts selling our best player.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that 5 Million could have been re invested in quality and we would have sailed ten.
    Brian took us to 7 also. Clearly going on the level of criticism he got plenty felt he should have carried us again. It wasnt to be.

    I don't think he downed tools but obviously people are more than welcome to think that. I think maybe he had lost a bit of his spark but I don't think it was a question of he couldn't be arsed or though he'd keep himself for Chelsea.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moodymann View Post
    Without a doubt, the man could read a character, like his good friend Alex Ferguson in that respect. It's a great skill in life that few have.

    His man management skills were exceptional, and importantly 9 times out of 10 achieved success for the club. A lesser man wouldn't have been able to get out of Gascoigne or other players what Smith did for Rangers. He was a giant in that respect.

    Whenever we have one of those rare offfield incidents or training ground bust ups like all clubs have, it's difficult not think I wonder how it would pan out if Walter was dealing with it. Just comes with be a fan of a certain era I suppose.
    Ferguson did the same routine with Cantona. A few United players questioned why Cantona got away with things, they would have been punished for. The answer Ferguson gave was 'because he's Eric Cantona'. Fair point.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    22-10-2006
    Location
    The bar convener
    Posts
    11,392

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    Brian took us to 7 also. Clearly going on the level of criticism he got plenty felt he should have carried us again. It wasnt to be.

    I don't think he downed tools but obviously people are more than welcome to think that. I think maybe he had lost a bit of his spark but I don't think it was a question of he couldn't be arsed or though he'd keep himself for Chelsea.
    He wasn't very good when he played for Chelsea, perhaps we got the best out of Brian and he was tailing off.
    Will never forget what he did for us and have been in his company a few times, a star and a winner, just didn't perform to what we expected in his last season.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by amabluestar View Post
    He wasn't very good when he played for Chelsea, perhaps we got the best out of Brian and he was tailing off.
    Will never forget what he did for us and have been in his company a few times, a star and a winner, just didn't perform to what we expected in his last season.
    He didn't last much longer before he had to retire so I'd say we definitely got his best years. And how great they were

    Maybe I'm too much of a fanboy because I absolutely idolised him as a kid.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    22-10-2006
    Location
    The bar convener
    Posts
    11,392

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post
    He didn't last much longer before he had to retire so I'd say we definitely got his best years. And how great they were

    Maybe I'm too much of a fanboy because I absolutely idolised him as a kid.
    Good for you, I'm fookin 60 and love the man.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    02-11-2007
    Posts
    2,208

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    I seem to remember Laudrup caught chickenpox in his last year, was out for a fair period of time and his heart wasn't in it on his return.

  21. #46

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by servicepoint View Post
    I seem to remember Laudrup caught chickenpox in his last year, was out for a fair period of time and his heart wasn't in it on his return.
    Got chickenpox and missed one of the Gothenburg games which I'm sure most of us would rather not be reminded of really.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    23-08-2012
    Posts
    2,903

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Quote Originally Posted by kilsyth Loyalist View Post
    And neither did laudrup . He was keeping himself for Chelsea ... which didn't exactly go to plan
    He didn't perform to his own high standards that year. I often wonder what if we had taken the money from Chelsea and spent it on a replacement for Laudrup.

  23. #48

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    jesus wept, taigs in the scotsman writing pish!!

  24. #49
    Join Date
    28-09-2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Smith had a knack of getting more out of a player than could be reasonably hoped for

  25. #50
    Join Date
    19-09-2017
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Billy Connolly Helped Walter Smith Manage Gazza.

    Gaza was world class at Tottenham and he ruined his future with a reckless tackle, then he went on to be the best player in Italy and was an invincible for us as flawed as he was.

    All of our players wax, wane and wander off but they are still Rangers through and through to me, I stand by the man, when he is gone he will be recognised for his guile, fragility and loyalty for my team.

    I have no idea globally where the next Gascoigne is coming from, kids do not get a look in now unless there 6" 3 and athletes

    I bless Walter for getting him through our gates!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

-->