Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

I think we've got the makings of a very good squad. Pre contracts for McLean and Walker in January then hopefully a similar outlay next summer on fewer, higher quality players. We'll get there bears.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdrinksalot View Post
    The other big worry for us is the mhanks blowing us out the water again at the merest hint of us getting closer to them, they binned Deila, brought in Rogers and spent big money on Sinclair, Dembele etc. This of course after we beat them in the Semi Final.
    That's a fair enough point but it's very unlikely they could attract players of an even higher calibre than the ones they recruited after the SCSF.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumchapel-Bear View Post
    If we are serious about winning the title we need better quality than two guys who don't even have a Scotland Cap between them. McLean is a decent player, not seen an awful lot of Walker but you'd think these two guys were the final pieces in the jigsaw going by the talk on here. It's debatable whether they are even better than the players we have already.

Every window from now on should be about adding quality rather than quantity to enhance the team imo.
    Hopefully, we'll be in a position to do that.

It's not unreasonable to expect that one of Rossiter, Cardoso or Morelos will make us decent money if/when sold. Foderingham is a possibility there as well.

A more settled squad starting the season would allow for better performances in the early European games and give us better chances there too.

We have foundations in place on and off the park now. Caixinha, or whatever future manager comes in, has much better support and less need for drastic changes. In many ways, we're just getting started this season.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Hopefully, we'll be in a position to do that.

It's not unreasonable to expect that one of Rossiter, Cardoso or Morelos will make us decent money if/when sold. Foderingham is a possibility there as well.

A more settled squad starting the season would allow for better performances in the early European games and give us better chances there too.

We have foundations in place on and off the park now. Caixinha, or whatever future manager comes in, has much better support and less need for drastic changes. In many ways, we're just getting started this season.
    Agreed we have some decent foundations in place now but the budget increased substantially this window so it wouldn't have been acceptable for some decent foundations not to be put in place.

I have some worries over the shape of the team and lack of flair/goal threat but we certainly look a bit more solid and more suited to the battles in the SPFL.

If things work out with Pedro and his plans for the team then we should be looking to build upon a solid season. We should require less new signings, money spent wisely on quality and making the most of players in the situation of McLean and Walker where we get Scottish talent for a bargain.

We should be at a stage where the games against them actually become important in terms of points. Having said that they still hold the stronger hand and it will take something special to take the title challenge all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumchapel-Bear View Post
    If we are serious about winning the title we need better quality than two guys who don't even have a Scotland Cap between them. McLean is a decent player, not seen an awful lot of Walker but you'd think these two guys were the final pieces in the jigsaw going by the talk on here. It's debatable whether they are even better than the players we have already.

Every window from now on should be about adding quality rather than quantity to enhance the team imo.
    Agree with this , there is a big love in on FF for McLean and I just don't get it. He is a decent player but not what we need to get us challenging the filth.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie13000 View Post
    Agree with this , there is a big love in on FF for McLean and I just don't get it. He is a decent player but not what we need to get us challenging the filth.
    Exactly. If we sign McLean then we will have the midfield that finished 30 points behind them.
    Better quality required if we want to win the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersCentreHalf View Post
    Think next year, regardless of who the manager is (I hope it's Pedro but many don't seem to think it will be), we will hopefully be in a position where we won't need to overturn a full squad. Next summer we should ideally be looking to spend a few million on 2/3 quality additions instead of a complete squad overhaul.
    If it's not Pedro next season we are back to square one

again

we could do with a right good run of results to really get the support fired up for the long haul

We won't win the league this season, and to actually aim for that isn't going to help.

Teams don't tend to turn around a 39 point difference in one season.

However, if we aim to get within 12 points of them this season, we're on the right track.

Where is the evidence of a title push next season ? On what basis are we assuming we'll finish on a better points total, results or position than last year ?
    Last weeks result ?

Quote Originally Posted by kaysdad View Post
    Where is the evidence of a title push next season ? On what basis are we assuming we'll finish on a better points total, results or position than last year ?
    Last weeks result ?
    There is no evidence but there is also nothing to disprove it either.
    Opinion though, my opinion that is, is that we have a better squad than last season so, should drop less points therefore will be closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
    We won't win the league this season, and to actually aim for that isn't going to help.

However, if we aim to get within 12 points of them this season, we're on the right track.
    Remember though, and I don't think we'll win the league this season either, we don't have to turn around a thirty nine point deficit, or any other deficit for that matter, other than the three points we are currently behind this season.

We need to lay a glove or two on them this year to get the mental aspect sorted as well.

A league cup win or SC would really help build the belief that we can compete with them, properly.

Ideally;

2 wins at Ibrox
    Take a point at Parkhead
    Beat them in a final

If we're not going to win the league, then would really like the above to unfold as a minimum.

Pedro needs to get his tactics spot on in an OF game. He got embarrassed in the last outing, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roffey View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, something that is sadly lacking in Scottish football.

Teams go in against Timmy thinking they are beat already, it's pathetic.
    I,d take st johnstone out of that

Quote Originally Posted by Pooter View Post

39 points was a reflection of just how far out of his depth Warburton and his championship level squad were in the SPFL. Rarely will Celtc have an easier ride, given our paucity and how ineffectual Aberdeen have been under McInnes.

I doubt guys like Brown, Griffiths, McGregor, Forrest, Gordon et al would have remotely cut a decade or so back when we were highly competitive. Last season teams like Alloa and Red imps showed that if you don't fear them they are a pretty unremarkable bunch.

Invincibles don't get humped 7-0, nor do they depend on a catalogue of horrendous refereeing decisions like they enjoyed against St Johnstone. They were feted to win the treble last season, everything fell their way, Aberdeen and Rangers miles off the pace, referees in their pockets, a media hyping them up and buckets of good fortune when they required it.

They had quite a few games where they won by the odd goal and looked far from invincible, for me we have improved by at least 30 points and they have not really strengthened. The games against them will be key as will the overhead of the CL and the likely humpings they will have inflicted upon them.

I would imagine that it is not lost on Pedro that every club including Celtc see us as their cup final and consequently raise their game appropriately. Further perhaps it is fortunate that the incidences of absolutely dire refereeing have happened early in the season in terms of our game management...Kill teams off early when we have the momentum!

I have consistently maintained that Pedro is the real deal, a very good coach with ambition and a winners mentality. To that end I believe that if we can build some momentum and galvanise a winning mentality we will compete for the title this season. The January window and the likes of Dodoos progress might just be critical if we are in touch at the turn of the year(which I expect us to be).

Remember it's Gordon, Brown, Forrest, McGregor, Roberts, Rogic etc hardly world beaters, let's see how they go when they are under real pressure. St Johnstone, Thistle and Astana in the second leg have shown them to be nothing special thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    We need to lay a glove or two on them this year to get the mental aspect sorted as well.

A league cup win or SC would really help build the belief that we can compete with them, properly.

Ideally;

2 wins at Ibrox
    Take a point at Parkhead
    Beat them in a final

If we're not going to win the league, then would really like the above to unfold as a minimum.

Pedro needs to get his tactics spot on in an OF game. He got embarrassed in the last outing, sadly.
    When was the last time that above unfolded? The last time we defeated them twice at Ibrox, got a point at Parkhead and defeated them in a final? Given it is a minimum for you.

Ideally;

2 wins at Ibrox
    Take a point at Parkhead
    Beat them in a final

As much as it sounds great, the minimum you suggest requires us to beat them 3 times and only get beat once.

If we did all that then I would be bitterly disappointed if we didn't win the league.

If we can beat them 3 times and only lose once then we will be a better team than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Northampton Lodger View Post
    I don't believe in conspiracies , for me football is ups and downs . Celtic got every break possible last year and for us we got nothing. With a better squad this year and a fair share of the breaks we will run them close.

Watched a bit of the Scotland game last night and it's hard not to think that Armstrong would have been wearing a blue jersey had we not been on a journey for the past few seasons.
    This and every keeper that comes to ibrox for the opposition turn into superman even in the lower divisions

Quote Originally Posted by southpaws View Post
    39 points was a reflection of just how far out of his depth Warburton and his championship level squad were in the SPFL. Rarely will Celtc have an easier ride, given our paucity and how ineffectual Aberdeen have been under McInnes.

I doubt guys like Brown, Griffiths, McGregor, Forrest, Gordon et al would have remotely cut a decade or so back when we were highly competitive. Last season teams like Alloa and Red imps showed that if you don't fear them they are a pretty unremarkable bunch.

Invincibles don't get humped 7-0, nor do they depend on a catalogue of horrendous refereeing decisions like they enjoyed against St Johnstone. They were feted to win the treble last season, everything fell their way, Aberdeen and Rangers miles off the pace, referees in their pockets, a media hyping them up and buckets of good fortune when they required it.

They had quite a few games where they won by the odd goal and looked far from invincible, for me we have improved by at least 30 points and they have not really strengthened. The games against them will be key as will the overhead of the CL and the likely humpings they will have inflicted upon them.

I would imagine that it is not lost on Pedro that every club including Celtc see us as their cup final and consequently raise their game appropriately. Further perhaps it is fortunate that the incidences of absolutely dire refereeing have happened early in the season in terms of our game management...Kill teams off early when we have the momentum!

I have consistently maintained that Pedro is the real deal, a very good coach with ambition and a winners mentality. To that end I believe that if we can build some momentum and galvanise a winning mentality we will compete for the title this season. The January window and the likes of Dodoos progress might just be critical if we are in touch at the turn of the year(which I expect us to be).

Remember it's Gordon, Brown, Forrest, McGregor, Roberts, Rogic etc hardly world beaters, let's see how they go when they are under real pressure. St Johnstone, Thistle and Astana in the second leg have shown them to be nothing special thus far.
    That has to be a contender for blue-tinted post of the year, bud.

The Beggars are shite, the refs are out to get us, everyone raises their game against us, we're 30 points better off than last season, and so on and so on . . .

Facts are we actually have less points this term after the first quartet of league games than we did last year.

A draw at the weekend and this place will be in meltdown once again, so any predictions at this stage are both pointless and dangerous.

That's quite a statement considering our first 4 results.

On the positive side, I'm hoping so. Some further strengthening in January followed by some quality in the summer and we could have a good go at it next season possibly. It's not going to happen this year.

Ideally;

2 wins at Ibrox
    Take a point at Parkhead
    Beat them in a final

I can't see this happening. At this stage i'd love to just beat them in a final.

Probably was overly optimistic; unbeaten at Ibrox would be more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    That's quite a statement considering our first 4 results.
    Hibs game was heavily influenced by an horrific refereeing performance following a Friday night when the dhims should have dropped two points to thistle. Rightly or wrongly I think the Hibs debacle had a knock on effect to the Hearts game, coupled with never having seen a Hearts team park the bus to such an extent at ibrox.

Therefore I am not duly worried by the first four games as I think the manager got the message about refereeing and killing games whilst we're on top. I look forward to a much better season and the potential for pushing the dhims right down to the wire and perhaps beyond.

Hibs game was heavily influenced by an horrific refereeing performance following a Friday night when the dhims should have dropped two points to thistle. Rightly or wrongly I think the Hibs debacle had a knock on effect to the Hearts game, coupled with never having seen a Hearts team park the bus to such an extent at ibrox.

Therefore I am not duly worried by the first four games as I think the manager got the message about refereeing and killing games whilst we're on top. I look forward to a much better season and the potential for pushing the dhims right down to the wire and perhaps beyond.
    5 point swing thanks to Dallas & Beaton in less than 24 hours.

The club need to address this.