Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Quote Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
    That has to be a contender for blue-tinted post of the year, bud.

The Beggars are shite, the refs are out to get us, everyone raises their game against us, we're 30 points better off than last season, and so on and so on . . .

Facts are we actually have less points this term after the first quartet of league games than we did last year.

A draw at the weekend and this place will be in meltdown once again, so any predictions at this stage are both pointless and dangerous.
    Didn't say the beggars were shite, but they are not a great team, nor are they remotely invincible and to that end they don't have me or imagine Pedro shitting g our breeks. The refereeing thus far has been extremely poor and 4 or 5 major decisions have gone against us.

I think at worst we will be within 9 points of the dhims by May, but believe if we can keep on improving and galvanising the winning mentality we are in with a chance. Football is all about opinions and predictions, I bet nobody would have predicted a 0-0 draw between France and Luxembourg last night.

These are my opinions and I stand by them, if we concede the league by a catastrophic margin my opinions will have been proven to be merely wishful thinking. But I concede nothing to this dhim side who have pretty much had it all their own way for 6 seasons, let's see what proper a competitive league season renders upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaws View Post
    Didn't say the beggars were shite, but they are not a great team, nor are they remotely invincible and to that end they don't have me or imagine Pedro shitting g our breeks. The refereeing thus far has been extremely poor and 4 or 5 major decisions have gone against us.

I think at worst we will be within 9 points of the dhims by May, but believe if we can keep on improving and galvanising the winning mentality we are in with a chance. Football is all about opinions and predictions, I bet nobody would have predicted a 0-0 draw between France and Luxembourg last night.

These are my opinions and I stand by them, if we concede the league by a catastrophic margin my opinions will have been proven to be merely wishful thinking. But I concede nothing to this dhim side who have pretty much had it all their own way for 6 seasons, let's see what proper a competitive league season renders upon them.
    This season we have been humiliated in Europe, narrowly beat Motherwell, lost to a newly promoted, bang average Hibs side, albeit with the help of a referee, but we were extremely poor with 10 men too, Hibs were skelped the following week by Hamilton, we then drew with a manager less Hearts side, turning in another dire performance in process. We followed that up with a victory against Ross County.

Given the mhanks haven't lost domestically in god knows how long and have actually improved their squad this season, how do you deduce that we will improve by 30 points and get to within 9 of them?

I have no doubts whatsoever that we will lose a few times and draw some more games over the course of the season, can you honestly see the mhanks dropping a bucketload of points?

I find myself thinking back to the mid '90s when the Yahoos finally woke up to the fact that unless they opened the biscuit tin, nine and ten-in-row were virtual certainties.

They spent big on players like Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio, Cadette and Thom, all quality signings who most of us would have been happy to see in blue shirts and who got them much closer to us than they had been for several years.

And yet we still had enough about us, and indeed still had greater resources, to ensure NIAR duly followed regardless.

The point being that unless we manage to start adding players of a similar calibre to theirs (you could argue we've at least begun that process this summer) then they look ominously well positioned to resist any incremental changes we might make for some time to come.

Remember, they don't appear to have a narcissistic charlatan making a complete mess of running their club.

So let's hope the end of Mike Ashley's onerous influence will permit greater funding and credit facilities into the club and allow us to get much closer to the Dims than we are presently, otherwise I fear we may have a few long years ahead of us yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdrinksalot View Post
    This season we have been humiliated in Europe, narrowly beat Motherwell, lost to a newly promoted, bang average Hibs side, albeit with the help of a referee, but we were extremely poor with 10 men too, Hibs were skelped the following week by Hamilton, we then drew with a manager less Hearts side, turning in another dire performance in process. We followed that up with a victory against Ross County.
    James Beaton gets about!

5. Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

I dont think we are going to have one year where we go out and spend 20 million in an attempt to have an obvious push for the title.

We are more likely, IMHO, to see incremental increases in quality window to window.

Guaranteed first 11 starters becoming squad players as they are replaced with better quality. An improvement of the entire first team squad over a period of years.

Listened to one interview with the new DoF and he mentioned several times the need for the football club to be grown and managed in a sustainable manner. I dont think you can plan for that and blow say 20 million one year.

At the moment - as per Sep 2017 - we're nowhere near it as Pedro's results have show since last Spring.

We will know more by Dec 31st when we've played everyone twice, home and away...we will need to spend big again, and I'd much prefer tried and trusted for the 6m net next summer and not 'punts'. We need guys who can hit ground running and know British game...we won't stop their run with ANY sort of Warburton tikki takki.

There is also pressure - we could be well placed by Aug 2019 but imagine pressure on us to stop them? We will need to really have a teak tough team of real men at that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdrinksalot View Post

Given the mhanks haven't lost domestically in god knows how long and have actually improved their squad this season, how do you deduce that we will improve by 30 points and get to within 9 of them?

I have no doubts whatsoever that we will lose a few times and draw some more games over the course of the season, can you honestly see the mhanks dropping a bucketload of points?
    The European exit was dire and was way before the manager had time to bed his own players in properly. The signs thereafter have been very positive unless of course you are a glass is half empty kind of guy. Pre season the team started gelling, the Motherwell game for the first 30 mins was encouraging but despite huge superiority we failed to kill them off. They turned into a battle and should have been reduced to 10 men but we prevailed, that's a positive for me.

We then thumped what was being touted by all and sundry as a good Dunfermline side until we played them off the park. The Hibs game we played them off the park first 20, had a defensive aberration in the midst of one of the most appalling refereeing performances seen at ibrox. In retrospect the manager may think that he could have reacted better to going down to 10, 20-20 hindsight and all that.

We were far from dire against Hearts dominating from start to finish and having a perfectly good first half goal disallowed for the sum total of nothing. I have never seen a Hearts side sit in so deep for 90 mins at ibrox which made it very difficult to get in behind. Ross county was a mixed bag of the good and the not so good but in the end it was a very good away win against a side that most find hard to beat in their own patch.

I think Pedro has made significant progress since progres and will continue to so do putting pressure on the mhanks which has been a rareity in their world for some time now. Therefore yes I think they will drop points as they already have, it should be 4 instead of 2 and they have a referee to thank for that fact.

Tims are a very decent side-too many on here just dismiss this

We have started the season poorly, but hopefully as the new players settle we will improve- time will tell how much of an improvement

My personal feeling is they will win the league very comfortably, and by a lot more than 9 in front of us. Our goal this season has to be to finish in second. I think this will be difficult as the sheep look to have improved and started well.

Time will tell on all fronts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Leven View Post
    At the moment - as per Sep 2017 - we're nowhere near it as Pedro's results have show since last Spring.

We will know more by Dec 31st when we've played everyone twice, home and away...we will need to spend big again, and I'd much prefer tried and trusted for the 6m net next summer and not 'punts'. We need guys who can hit ground running and know British game...we won't stop their run with ANY sort of Warburton tikki takki.

There is also pressure - we could be well placed by Aug 2019 but imagine pressure on us to stop them? We will need to really have a teak tough team of real men at that stage.
    As fans, we seem to enjoy creating the criteria to has a statistic on to suit an argument.
    Last year it was Warburton hadn't won enough "big games" or that "he hadn't beat anybody in the top six".
    This year, with Caixinha, its "big games" again, and it's "his record since, or including, last season".
    All that matters is this season, with his players, use his tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzabear View Post
    As fans, we seem to enjoy creating the criteria to has a statistic on to suit an argument.
    Last year it was Warburton hadn't won enough "big games" or that "he hadn't beat anybody in the top six".
    This year, with Caixinha, its "big games" again, and it's "his record since, or including, last season".
    All that matters is this season, with his players, use his tactics.
    Yes, and we're mid table.

We have NO idea whether we can win 2018//2019 title and not many indicators either.

Quote Originally Posted by AvieLoyal View Post
    Tims are a very decent side-too many on here just dismiss this

We have started the season poorly, but hopefully as the new players settle we will improve- time will tell how much of an improvement

My personal feeling is they will win the league very comfortably, and by a lot more than 9 in front of us. Our goal this season has to be to finish in second. I think this will be difficult as the sheep look to have improved and started well.

Time will tell on all fronts
    'Very decent', in terms of what? An uncompetive SPFL last season? They are a decent side but no more. Isn't it strange that nobody comes in for the likes of Griffiths who outscores the much vaunted Dembele with alacrity. Most know that our league has been uncompetitive for the past 6 years and that they are genuine also rans in European terms.

We are Scotlands blue chip club, we have been on an enforced sabbatical, but I believe we are on the up. The agitating against Pedro, not just in the media, but on sites like this tells me that the dhims are not expecting it their own way. They are truly obsessed and have been trying overly hard to tell us that Pedro is a busted flush and that Celtc are invincible...Sorry I just don't buy that BS.

As I said they are a decent team in the context of the SPFL, but experienced well managed teams do not ship 7 in Europe. Walter stopped Barca from scoring and even over there we never looked like getting tonked. Yes progres was a really disappointing result, but we had a lot of mitigating circumstances, a squad in transition, players from the old regime militated against the manager and the fact that our first competitive game was in late June.

And let's face it we don't have the squad for the Europa league group stage and if by some fluke we'd have made it the overhead of playing Thursday and Sunday would have been catastrophic for our domestic chances. The champions league should be our ambition because let's face it that's where the money and glamour is.
    Last edited by southpaws; 04-09-2017 at 15:46.

39 points was a reflection of just how far out of his depth Warburton and his championship level squad were in the SPFL. Rarely will Celtc have an easier ride, given our paucity and how ineffectual Aberdeen have been under McInnes.

I doubt guys like Brown, Griffiths, McGregor, Forrest, Gordon et al would have remotely cut a decade or so back when we were highly competitive. Last season teams like Alloa and Red imps showed that if you don't fear them they are a pretty unremarkable bunch.

Invincibles don't get humped 7-0, nor do they depend on a catalogue of horrendous refereeing decisions like they enjoyed against St Johnstone. They were feted to win the treble last season, everything fell their way, Aberdeen and Rangers miles off the pace, referees in their pockets, a media hyping them up and buckets of good fortune when they required it.

They had quite a few games where they won by the odd goal and looked far from invincible, for me we have improved by at least 30 points and they have not really strengthened. The games against them will be key as will the overhead of the CL and the likely humpings they will have inflicted upon them.

I would imagine that it is not lost on Pedro that every club including Celtc see us as their cup final and consequently raise their game appropriately. Further perhaps it is fortunate that the incidences of absolutely dire refereeing have happened early in the season in terms of our game management...Kill teams off early when we have the momentum!

I have consistently maintained that Pedro is the real deal, a very good coach with ambition and a winners mentality. To that end I believe that if we can build some momentum and galvanise a winning mentality we will compete for the title this season. The January window and the likes of Dodoos progress might just be critical if we are in touch at the turn of the year(which I expect us to be).

Remember it's Gordon, Brown, Forrest, McGregor, Roberts, Rogic etc hardly world beaters, let's see how they go when they are under real pressure. St Johnstone, Thistle and Astana in the second leg have shown them to be nothing special thus far.
    I heard this post was the reason they decided to shut down the board. The "jump the shark" post if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by edu93mins View Post
    I heard this post was the reason they decided to shut down the board. The "jump the shark" post if you will.
    Ok Forrest, Brown, Griffiths, Gordon, McGregor et al are the Scottish galacticos and we should just hand them the league now. They didn't get beat by an amateur side or 7-0 by Barca, it was a figment of our imagination.

'Jumping the shark' suggests fantasy and a demise in quality, I would say that much of what I have written is factual and that our quality has improved somewhat. Perhaps you're supporting the wrong team, you seem to like talking dimothy up! 😂
    Last edited by southpaws; 04-09-2017 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by artificialintoleranz View Post
    I dont think we are going to have one year where we go out and spend 20 million in an attempt to have an obvious push for the title.

We are more likely, IMHO, to see incremental increases in quality window to window.

Guaranteed first 11 starters becoming squad players as they are replaced with better quality. An improvement of the entire first team squad over a period of years.

Listened to one interview with the new DoF and he mentioned several times the need for the football club to be grown and managed in a sustainable manner. I dont think you can plan for that and blow say 20 million one year.
    That is fair enough. However, if we were able to stockpile a bit of cash, I would see that being spent in one hit, while maintaining the self sustaining angle. Kind of like winning a few hundred on a scratch card; you still live within your means, you just get a decent night out and a kebab at the end of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Leven View Post

I think people are misunderstanding the OP a little. I am not suggesting anything other than that we have spent less than we could have this summer with a view to no more improvement than having a spine. Next season, when a couple of revenue streams are up and running, and we have the possibility of a share issue to bump up the balance, we might spend a significant amount more in order to mount a challenge (note, that is not predicting we win next season either, merely push them a lot closer than we did last or probably will this season). I have kind of written off this season, as I think most have, because we are already nearly as many points behind as they dropped all season, after 4 games.

Ok Forrest, Brown, Griffiths, Gordon, McGregor et al are the Scottish galacticos and we should just hand them the league now. They didn't get beat by an amateur side or 7-0 by Barca, it was a figment of our imagination.

'Jumping the shark' suggests fantasy and a demise in quality, I would say that much of what I have written is factual and that our quality has improved somewhat. Perhaps you're supporting the wrong team, you seem to like talking dimothy up! ��
    Much of what you have written is not factual but garbage.

Apparently it would be a "fluke" if we made it to the Europa League group stage but you are talking about us finishing ahead of a team who actually do make it to the Champions League group stages.

We will do well against celtc because last year they last to a team from Gibraltar. But the fact we lost to a mid table team from Luxembourg this season doesn't count or something.

Pure fantasy, mate.

Oh, and the bit where we have already made up 30 points on them from last season despite dropping points in our first 2 home games is excellent.

Of course if all else fails you can claim anyone not buying into your rubbish is a tarrier I guess.

No or we'd start gearing with a manager

Quote Originally Posted by edu93mins View Post
    Much of what you have written is not factual but garbage.

Apparently it would be a "fluke" if we made it to the Europa League group stage but you are talking about us finishing ahead of a team who actually do make it to the Champions League group stages.

We will do well against celtc because last year they last to a team from Gibraltar. But the fact we lost to a mid table team from Luxembourg this season doesn't count or something.

Pure fantasy, mate.

Oh, and the bit where we have already made up 30 points on them from last season despite dropping points in our first 2 home games is excellent.

Of course if all else fails you can claim anyone not buying into your rubbish is a tarrier I guess.
    I couldn't care less that you're 'not buying into my rubbish' as you put it and I wasn't accusing you of being a Tim I was just suggesting that given you've got such a hard on for them perhaps you should follow them.

I'll stick to my opinion that they are not that great and I do believe we'll be at least 30 points better off this season. I'd rather that than be handing the dhims the title in early September!