Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Default Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Reading the net spend thread, and using back of fag packet maths, we have spent somewhere in the region of 2.8 - 5 million on transfers. The wage bill will be slightly higher, although probably not a huge amount, taking spending up a little although that will be balanced/outweighed by additional income through merchandise and advertising deals that are now much more favourable.

the reason it has occurred that we are setting ourselves up for next season is a few little pointers seem to indicate it.

We spent early and predominantly on spine players, meaning we now, all being well, have a keeper, centre defence, central midfield and a striker (Herrera in this case) which a team can be built around quickly but with minimal disruption. The early spend has been largely off-set by incoming fees and we have spent nothing at all (If memory serves) since we managed to re-negotiate the merchandise deal meaning that additional cash (allowing for the loss making to still be covered by soft loans) can be stock piled to a degree. King stated that season ticket cash was all available to spend on players (did he mean fees or fees and wages?) but we have spent a good deal less, thanks to fees received.

It could be guessed at that we will continue to be run at a loss in the short term, with soft loans taking up the slack, revenue generated over and above that from last season will be saved until next summer and at the AGM res 11 will be passed. Even if a share issue does not raise a huge amount of actual capital, it would clear the 'debt' and allow direct investment as required from directors who are on board, into a club that is debt free, running at a slight loss, but has significant (for us) cash reserves. If that all happened, we would have a core of a side with a season together and a good sum of cash to spend on a limited number of players. If we were firm in second this season, with celtic in the 10-15 points ahead territory, 8-10 million on 2 or 3 key players could see a legitimate challenge from us. We would be able to ignore the risk of a brand new side facing Europa qualifiers and would be able to say with certainty that we would have more than 2 games in Europe, adding )however small an amount) more cash to the pot.

All pure speculation but as said, the numbers in the net spend thread are on the face of it slightly lower than was expected after the initial flurry of activity at a time when we could perhaps have expected more.

If that is all even nearly true, we really need to hope that Pedro can get some kind of run going, find his feet as manager and hit upon a formula to win in Scotland because if he manages that, next season could be a turning point.

Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Northampton_loyalist View Post
    Reading the net spend thread, and using back of fag packet maths, we have spent somewhere in the region of 2.8 - 5 million on transfers. The wage bill will be slightly higher, although probably not a huge amount, taking spending up a little although that will be balanced/outweighed by additional income through merchandise and advertising deals that are now much more favourable.

the reason it has occurred that we are setting ourselves up for next season is a few little pointers seem to indicate it.

We spent early and predominantly on spine players, meaning we now, all being well, have a keeper, centre defence, central midfield and a striker (Herrera in this case) which a team can be built around quickly but with minimal disruption. The early spend has been largely off-set by incoming fees and we have spent nothing at all (If memory serves) since we managed to re-negotiate the merchandise deal meaning that additional cash (allowing for the loss making to still be covered by soft loans) can be stock piled to a degree. King stated that season ticket cash was all available to spend on players (did he mean fees or fees and wages?) but we have spent a good deal less, thanks to fees received.

It could be guessed at that we will continue to be run at a loss in the short term, with soft loans taking up the slack, revenue generated over and above that from last season will be saved until next summer and at the AGM res 11 will be passed. Even if a share issue does not raise a huge amount of actual capital, it would clear the 'debt' and allow direct investment as required from directors who are on board, into a club that is debt free, running at a slight loss, but has significant (for us) cash reserves. If that all happened, we would have a core of a side with a season together and a good sum of cash to spend on a limited number of players. If we were firm in second this season, with celtic in the 10-15 points ahead territory, 8-10 million on 2 or 3 key players could see a legitimate challenge from us. We would be able to ignore the risk of a brand new side facing Europa qualifiers and would be able to say with certainty that we would have more than 2 games in Europe, adding )however small an amount) more cash to the pot.

All pure speculation but as said, the numbers in the net spend thread are on the face of it slightly lower than was expected after the initial flurry of activity at a time when we could perhaps have expected more.

If that is all even nearly true, we really need to hope that Pedro can get some kind of run going, find his feet as manager and hit upon a formula to win in Scotland because if he manages that, next season could be a turning point.
    I hope we are gearing up for a push this season!

McLean and Walker will almost certainly arrive on Bosmans.

2 x players at about 2.5M each.

They will have to freshen up their squad as Rodgers may leave, Brown will be a year older, Tierney/Dembele will possible go.

It's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Downblu View Post
    I hope we are gearing up for a push this season!
    We all do but next season seems more realistic!

Think next year, regardless of who the manager is (I hope it's Pedro but many don't seem to think it will be), we will hopefully be in a position where we won't need to overturn a full squad. Next summer we should ideally be looking to spend a few million on 2/3 quality additions instead of a complete squad overhaul.

I don't believe in conspiracies , for me football is ups and downs . Celtic got every break possible last year and for us we got nothing. With a better squad this year and a fair share of the breaks we will run them close.

Watched a bit of the Scotland game last night and it's hard not to think that Armstrong would have been wearing a blue jersey had we not been on a journey for the past few seasons.

7. Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

I don't think it's gearing up specifically for a push next season OP. It's more that Pedro has clearly been told he'll be given time and therefore it's more a sensible rebuilding strategy.

Build the spine and once that's right add quality where it's needed

This season expectations are to be there, or there abouts with a small gap.

We are still well short, we need quality all over the pitch and I'm talking 5-6 players to come in and start, a very tall order for next season.

Had to double check I was reading Follow Follow. This thread is the most sensible I've read in a long time.

The usual suspects will be on soon to hang their piss stained boxers all over it, but for now, I totally agree that's how it looks. Can't sustain knee jerk rebuilds and need to build slowly starting with the spine. The point about overall club funding makes a lot of sense too.

I think we'll have Alves, Cardoso, Jack, Dorrans, Rossiter, Herrera and Morelos fully bedded in by the new year. Personally think it'll be too late to bridge the gap this season but I reckon our finish will be better than theirs and we'll be ripe for a challenge next season. We'll need to add two top wingers & playmakers along with competition at full back from a reliable Broadfoot type player.

Them hitting the skids and giving us an opening would be nice though!

As has been did before. All we need to do is improve enough to beat the rest of the spl dross every week then it's down to 4 games against them where anything can happen.

I'd say we are. It was never going to happen over one window, but if we can work on the basis of getting a top quality player in January, and another 3 top quality next summer + Walker and McLean on bosmans, the squad would be in good shape.

Any sort of challenge this season is highly desired, but would ultimately be a bonus and ahead of schedule.

I'd expect us to be in a position to genuinely challenge for the title next season.

This season, FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagsbear View Post
    This season, FFS.
    That should be the aim.

Folk should have a look at Doc Stone's thread about where we where at 5 years ago.

It will take time, but we will be back challenging.

One thing you can say, is that the board have backed Pedro. The rest is up to him.

Speaking hypothetically, if Walter had taken over, instead of Pedro and spent 10m we would be talking about winning the league THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roffey View Post
    That should be the aim.
    Aim for the stars and land on the moon.

17. Default Re: Are we gearing up for a title push next season?

We are gearing up to be as good as our circumstances allow at this point in time and that is more than good enough for me.

Our main rivals this year are Aberdeen
    Next year I expect us to push on
    Just my opinion of course

That should be the aim.
    It's always the aim, but it's not realistic to expect it this season.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboyblue View Post
    Folk should have a look at Doc Stone's thread about where we where at 5 years ago.

It will take time, but we will be back challenging.

One thing you can say, is that the board have backed Pedro. The rest is up to him.

Speaking hypothetically, if Walter had taken over, instead of Pedro and spent 10m we would be talking about winning the league THIS year.
    This is not a criticism of the board at all, but their backing has been in large part recovered if the figures are correct. I don't think you could argue that 2.8 million, for example, is a huge level of backing. They have clearly gotten him the players he wanted, or most of them at least, but in terms of actual capital outlay, we have not really pushed the boat out.

As said, that is not a criticism of the board, merely an observation and I will add to it that I am beginning to think that they are planning for res 11 going through, saving up some pennies/cutting down on loans to allow the same to be directly invested as cash later. A season down the line, players bedded in and with a little spending power we have missed out on previously, added to a couple of potentially very good Bosmans (as others have noted) could potentially see us have a credible challenge.

Actually, we could use someone like MasterC to comment; if we are now in a position to not need soft loans (increased revenue might allow that) and we just plodded along at break even until the AGM, could the directors loan the club the cash they would have had to last season, maybe more, and immediately turn it into equity after res 11? Could that potentially ease some of the concerns about who holds what percentage and could it force other current shareholders to invest more to keep their holding percentage intact therefore maximising the actual cash raised at an issue?

I'll be surprised if we are in anything other than a fight for second with Aberdeen this season. Next season? I wouldn't be placing big money on us having the same manager so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Orange View Post
    Aim for the stars and land on the moon.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, something that is sadly lacking in Scottish football.

Teams go in against Timmy thinking they are beat already, it's pathetic.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, something that is sadly lacking in Scottish football.

Teams go in against Timmy thinking they are beat already, it's pathetic.
    Agreed. Should always be aiming for the next step beyond. Nobody got anywhere by accepting 2nd place.

It's my guess that Dave King will expect to push for the title next year - thus why we held back on the Walker and McLean transfers this window.

This season we face a battle for second.

Next season (or the season after) it's down to business.

We have to try and give the beggars a bloody nose,a fright,this season.Starting on the 23rd