Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedro Caixinha's Rangers Squad

Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

It is too early to say. Our biggest outlay has been on the 2 Mexican players who haven't featured much as yet.

If Pena doesn't deliver then I'd say it was a horrendous decision to splash that much cash on him when we could have brought in 2/3 players for that money (a left winger and striker would have been ideal)

I got sucked in big time by the magic hat and didn't really see his failings until he left. I think I must have been daydreaming through most of last season.

Given my apparent inability to see reality my opinion is far from valid. But, I think Pedro has seen just how poor the players we had were. Not just their technical ability but their desire and fight when things got tough. Saw that most of them were miles away from been Rangers standard (either technical ability or no heart) and had to get shot of nearly the full team. He would appear to have upgraded us in every department although we wait to see what the likes of Penna, Herrera and Dalcio bring.

I like Pedro, he seems to understand what is required and IMO has bought well. The Progres result done him no favours and he has less wriggle room than he should have considering the task he has. I will back him all the way as he is the Rangers manager but unlike his predecessor I will have my eyes open and it will take a while before I can believe in him 100%. Always optimistic though and stuck on £50 at the start of the season.

4. Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by S English View Post
    He's done ok, we're stronger in defence, midfield and attack. The key is Pena, he was the big signing and the one that could, if fit,make the difference between fighting for second and fighting for first.
    Pena is huge for Pedro and for us. Fingers crossed with this one.

We have only saw a glimpse of the player but i think you could see what he could bring. Massive 'could' in that sentence though, lets hope so!

5. Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

Time will tell re the impact his latino signings will make. Going out of europe to a bunch of rank amatures still hurts but realistically we would have gone out next round. Building a team is the real priority not europe. We cannot as yet compete with the beasts so overtaking Aberdeen must be priority.

The spine of the team is looking good. Alves, Cardoso, Jack, Dorrans and Morelos all look excellent and an obvious upgrade. Add Candieas to that and he's given us 6 1st team starters out of the 11 brought in, with Herrera and Pena knocking at the door. I'd say that's a pretty good window. Hopefully 3 or 4 more in January and 55 will be in the bag

Im repeating what waa said for the last couple of seasons , so not just pedro , that we have giant lack of pace and power in our team . Overall hes done ok but i can still see us being short of aberdeen in 2nd . There is of course another window this season ...

Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Drumchapel-Bear View Post
    The only part of the team that I am certain we are definitely stronger than last season is at the back. The two centre halves are a definite upgrade on what we had. I actually think our back 5 in Wes, Tav, Wallace, Cardoso and Alves is pretty good. Great for SPFL level currently.

Middle to front, I am still not 100% sure we've improved that much on last season but time will tell.

There can be no complaints regarding backing of the manager when we have spent the guts of 9m quid rebuilding the squad. We spent more in one window than we have spent in the last 5-6 years put together.

Irrespective of anything else, surely you think DM is way stronger this season mate?

Avles, Jack, Morelos 10/10 so far for all 3. The spine of the team.

Candieas looks a decent player for 700k (compare that to what Hearts want for Walker..)

Question marks over Hererra and Pena but time for them to come good.

Cordoso looks decent if not overwhelming but he cost 1.2 million.

It looks good, generally.

The Progres game ****ed all sense about the situation (and I'll admit I wanted him sacked at FT of the 2nd leg before he stepped on the plane home) and certainly raised questions again. It put him in a position where every dropped point will be scrutinised much further than it might have been.

Not all the players will hit the heights. It maybe looks like Dalcio, for example, doesn't quite have it yet to make a contribution for us.

Everyone of the players appears to be an upgrade on what we had.

I think his biggest mistake was not signing Hill for 6 months if we knew that Alves was going to be at the Confederations Cup. I think Hill would have made the difference in the Euro tie and at that point everything is massively different.

Looks at it like this.

Alves - Hill
    Cardoso - Kiernan
    Jack - Halliday
    Dorrans - Holt
    Candieas - McKay
    Morelos - Garner
    Herrara - Waghorn
    Dalcio - Forrester
    Pena - Crooks

and we've got Nemane and John too for the likes of Dodoo and Senderos.

I'd say every single one of them is a better option than what we had. Candeias for McKay being about the closest in terms of quality comparisons.

To sign 11 players and improve things was a massive task given our relative budgetary constraints. You don't sign that many players and they all work out.

What we have to do is get a bit of a run going to take the pressure off. It's a shame the Hibs game was fecked for us so massively. It seems like a consistent step forward and then hit a block situaton.

Hopefully we get a set of results after the Celtic game at Ibrox which takes us to Christmas in a decent position.

*edit* and just one more thing looking at all those who have left...what a steaming pile of turd they pretty much all were. No wonder we struggled so badly last year. That's going to have a lingering effect on us as we try and start afresh with a new squad until the opposition gets to the point they aren't always confident of taking something from a game against us. We need the fear factor back.

For one window I think he's done remarkably well with what he's got in and also what he's got out.

Great support from the board.

Good OP.

The amount of work we've done in getting rid of so many wasters and more of less buying a complete new team has been staggering.
    Yes, may may have a bit of a weakness of the left, but, as others have said, we were never going to fix everything in one window.
    We just need to hope we've got enough to stay in contention until January when we can look to address any deficiencies, and I think we do.

The board and Caixinha deserve a lot of credit for what they've achieved.
    The fact we did so much of our business early on is why they won't get as much credit as they should.
    However, the fact we managed to do everything so early on should actually see them get more credit.
    I do think if the signings had been staggered, people would be a bit more appreciative, though.
    We were spoiled with so much of our business being concluded at the start of the window.

For now, we just need to hope that someone makes the position on the left their own, so it's up to either Josh Windass, Aaron Nemane or Declan John to step up.
    I've got a sneaky feeling that John might just be the man to do this.
    I've always quite liked the balance a team gets by having one out and out winger on one side and more of a midfielder, like a Jorg Albertz or Claudio Reyna for example, on the other.
    We would have this with John and Daniel Candeias in these positions.

The key for everything clicking is Carlos Peña.
    If he becomes the goalscoring threat we all hope he will, we'll do well.

I can see our strongest XI looking something like this:

Morelos
    Peña
    John Dorrans Jack Candeias
    Wallace Alves Cardoso Tavernier
    Foderingham

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObjective View Post
    Its absolutely insane that there's literally still folk that think we are genuine title contenders. We won't be anywhere near them after 38 games. Our fans really need a reality check. Aberdeen are our first problem to contend with, hopefully we can deal with them this season and look to progress next season. Yes we could beat them in a one off game, stay relatively competitive for some time but over 38 games they will pull away with consummate ease. They have a player in their squad that Man City could easily get upwards of £15m for. Just let that sink in..
    Totally agree I'm glad there are at least some sane posts on here, our squad on paper looks better however we are always just 1 defeat away from bedlam, Jury's out on Pedro, every week is a dogfight and will continue to be. Stay in the hunt for 2nd is about as good as it is going to get.

Pass marks from me also but as you say we don't have a patient support, there will be those who will want instant success or sack Pedro and bring back walter Hopefully next season we can add kenny Mclean and Jamie walker for free to replace Niko and kenny Miller also add a couple of quality players whilst hopefully promoting some youths
    To make a challenge for the league, only time will tell if he will be a success but I would give him it

Quote Originally Posted by edu93mins View Post
    "Stay in the hunt until Christmas and address as required." - That is insanely optimistic. Have people not watched anything at all in front of their eyes? If we are still in touching distance after the OF game I'll be delighted and surprised in equal measure.
    It really is the bipolar nature of FF. After Hearts most had the manager gone by Halloween if he was lucky. A poor-ish win against a terrible Ross County side and all of a sudden there's enough in the tank to challenge until Xmas

16. Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by mentalbox View Post
    Im repeating what waa said for the last couple of seasons , so not just pedro , that we have giant lack of pace and power in our team . Overall hes done ok but i can still see us being short of aberdeen in 2nd . There is of course another window this season ...
    Aberdeen's early form has been against no one and they have still shown frailties at the back. Although in fairness they have also shown a great desire to win, especially in that 4-3 game. That showed not just a good mentality but the ability to apply it.

I wonder how they will fair against the better teams in the league and how it will affect them and their bottle once they have had a couple of defeats.

I think we can beat them for second.

Default Re: Pedro Caixinha's Rangers Squad

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    Who do you think signed/recommended Nemane and Declan John?
    2 loan players one of who hasn't played a first team game or deemed good enough to make the squad for the Ross County game despite not having a recognised LM is hardly backing the manager or the Team .

Quote Originally Posted by sherbrook_loyal View Post
    Good OP.

The amount of work we've done in getting rid of so many wasters and more of less buying a complete new team has been staggering.
    Yes, may may have a bit of a weakness of the left, but, as others have said, we were never going to fix everything in one window.
    We just need to hope we've got enough to stay in contention until January when we can look to address any deficiencies, and I think we do.

The board and Caixinha deserve a lot of credit for what they've achieved.
    The fact we did so much of our business early on is why they won't get as much credit as they should.
    However, the fact we managed to do everything so early on should actually see them get more credit.
    I do think if the signings had been staggered, people would be a bit more appreciative, though.
    We were spoiled with so much of our business being concluded at the start of the window.

For now, we just need to hope that someone makes the position on the left their own, so it's up to either Josh Windass, Aaron Nemane or Declan John to step up.
    I've got a sneaky feeling that John might just be the man to do this.
    I've always quite liked the balance a team gets by having one out and out winger on one side and more of a midfielder, like a Jorg Albertz or Claudio Reyna for example, on the other.
    We would have this with John and Daniel Candeias in these positions.

The key for everything clicking is Carlos Peña.
    If he becomes the goalscoring threat we all hope he will, we'll do well.

I can see our strongest XI looking something like this:

Morelos
    Peña
    John Dorrans Jack Candeias
    Wallace Alves Cardoso Tavernier
    Foderingham

If John discovers the potential he showed a couple of years ago and Pena builds on Sunday's cameo, then that's a tidy 11.

With the likes of Herrera, Rossiter, Windass, Miller and Kranjcar etc as back up, then that is a monumental improvement on last season.

Quote Originally Posted by jdilla View Post
    I hope to god Windass stays fit and in form. Going into another Old Firm game with Kranjcar or Miller at left midfield is the stuff of nightmares. That being said, I suppose John can play there

Same goes for Morelos

I'm disappointed Walker didn't happen - I won't lie. I thought he was the final piece of the jigsaw. But Caixianha can't complain that he hasn't got his man; the board have backed him heavily and we've hardly had an inspiring start to the season. Time for him to find a proper tactic that works and get his big signings fit
    TBH mate Windass on the left for the Celtic game is the stuff of nightmares one tackle and he will get posted missing.
    Miller and Nico there is just not a option taigs will think they've won a watch if that happens.

Our playing squad has improved drastically, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by MearnsUnionist View Post
    Irrespective of anything else, surely you think DM is way stronger this season mate?
    Jack is certainly better than Halliday and Holt but I'm not sure he's better than Toral, that's the honest truth. When Toral got a run of games and was fully fit, he was excellent for us and he went to Pittodrie and bossed a midfield that had Jack in it.

I think we are fine in the middle though. Dorrans, Jack and Rossiter is fine. My worries are the wide areas and up front. If Morelos gets injured or starts to go through a sticky spell then it's a struggle to see where the goals are coming from.

It's crucial now that Windass stays fit and finds a bit of consistency as well for the left hand side. He could chip in with goals for us as well if he is able to stay fit and get a run of games.

If John discovers the potential he showed a couple of years ago and Pena builds on Sunday's cameo, then that's a tidy 11.

With the likes of Herrera, Rossiter, Windass, Miller and Kranjcar etc as back up, then that is a monumental improvement on last season.
    The fact it's so difficult to pick a best XI just now shows how far we've come.
    Arguably, the likes of Jordan Rossiter and Eduardo Herrera could be in there.

Why are we shoehorning in a LB to LM it rarely works, Tired it with Smith and Whittaker with very little success, A LM should have been signed.

Squad much healthier.
    Needs to find confidence now and the balls to win games consistently.

we are 5 off Dolly and 3 behind ra Bheast.
    Ideally we go into that OF game 3 or less behind. Beat them and anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourageous View Post
    Until Christmas and address as required.

This summer we've seen a turn around of 24 players. Name another club in our situation?

Dodoo, Garner, Senderos, Waghorn, Kiernan, O'Halloran, Hill, Forrester, Halliday, McKay, Crooks, Hyndman and Toral - gone.

John, Alves, Cardoso, Candeias, Morelos, Pena, Herrera, Dorrans, Dalcio, Nemane and Jack - in.

A whole new centre of defence. A new partnership in the middle of the park, a new strike force.

Pedro Caixinha needed to over see a complete overhaul and in one window he has managed that whilst making us stronger. No club in world football can build a squad in one window - a matter of months, it's impossible. We've now got the foundations of a good squad and what we must make sure is that we improve it each window with a couple of quality signings. This stripping it back to the bones and rebuilding time and time again is of no use.

Yes, there are still weaknesses, areas of concern but it is what it is. It's going to take time, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a successful football team.

Since Progres we have made two signings; loan signings in Nemane and John. I've not included Dorrans as that deal had been out in the public for weeks.

It's now time for Pedro Caixinha to show he's good enough to stay in the job and strengthen further in January.
    You either read my mind or my earlier post lol spot on!