Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedro Caixinha's Rangers Squad

Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack 1873 View Post
    Disappointed there has been no real backing for the manager since going out of Europe and the retail deal being renegotiated .

We badly needed a wide player and another forward and our gamble of hard ball with Hertz may have saved us a few hundred grand but will see Us struggle on the wide areas.

If Candieas or Morelos gets injured we are in real trouble.

The spine of the team is much better but it has very little flair and to continue to play Miller and Kranjcar will cost Pedro his job .
    If you're an investor, would you be happy to back him freely after those results? He's been given much more than previous managers could've dreamed of. And that's just in terms of net spend. Wages wise, he made a point of keeping Kranjcar and Miller, and then there's Alves, who'll be one of the top earners in the league

I was desperate for Walker as well, but I can totally see it from the board's perspective. One winger isn't going to be the difference between Pedro being a success or flop at ibrox

Squad wise this was never getting fixed in one window.

Given the personnel that Pedro inherited I think we've done extremely well. We've upgraded in several positions (not all) and the spine of the team is actually a proper spine and not a disjointed mess.

Phase 2 is where it gets interesting. It may not be Pedro doing it but as Jdilla said to me yesterday he's left him some good building blocks.

I'd fully expect both full backs to be upgraded in the next 12 months.

It's all down to Pedro now. The board have allowed him to assemble a good squad of players which will be supplemented in January no doubt, so the onus falls entirely on him now. If we don't get 2nd it will be down to the manager, not our quality of squad.

Quote Originally Posted by jdilla View Post
    If you're an investor, would you be happy to back him freely after those results? He's been given much more than previous managers could've dreamed of. And that's just in terms of net spend. Wages wise, he made a point of keeping Kranjcar and Miller, and then there's Alves, who'll be one of the top earners in the league

I was desperate for Walker as well, but I can totally see it from the board's perspective. One winger isn't going to be the difference between Pedro being a success or flop at ibrox
    I agree to an extent but that one player could be the difference in winning 4-6 tight games which is a lot of points.

The remit of the DOF was supposed to be recruiting so the board don't back his judgment either then ?

I will be more than happy to give Hertz and Dolly nothing and sign the 2 best Scottish players outside the tims but we are still fairly short with a smaller squad than last season.

3-4 injuries and we are back to playing kids who aren't deemed good enough to be in the squad to begin with.

It's also about setting up the team to play to the strength of the squad- if you don't have good wingers, don't use tactics that rely on those positions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdilla View Post

TBH, who else was taking Niko's 14k a week given he can't last 70 minutes never mind 90 and is off the back of a cruciate injury ?

Not even Redknapp is that daft.

To me it was a mistake letting waghorn go if we weren't replacing him. I know the feeling towards him by some on here but he was capable of playing up top and out wide. And he is capable of scoring goals. To let him go and not replace him in my opinion was a mistake. That being that I think the board have backed Pedro with money, got him players he wanted and he now has to deliver.

really wanted us to get walker but glad we held firm and wouldn't pay over the odds. No idea if dalcio or nemane are any good but they may need to deliver for us now.

Certainly stronger than last season but lacking in a few areas. Hopefully we can address that in Jan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graemelins View Post
    It's also about setting up the team to play to the strength of the squad- if you don't have good wingers, don't use tactics that rely on those positions.
    A very sensible post.

Our squad has improved on last year. We have a much more solid defence, and some proper central midfielders. Morelos is also an upgrade on any striker we had last year.

I fear we still might struggle though at times to break teams down. Another 1 or 2 quality attacking players could have made a big difference. We don't really have the scope to deal with many injuries.

We just need to hope that as the season develops and the team plays more games together that the team starts to gel. Dorrans will hopefully get a bit sharper and start dominating from midfield, and it's absolutely vital that we get Pena up to speed. For the money we have spent on him, realistically he needs to be one of the best players in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack 1873 View Post
    The remit of the DOF was supposed to be recruiting so the board don't back his judgment either then ?
    Who do you think signed/recommended Nemane and Declan John?

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    To me it was a mistake letting waghorn go if we weren't replacing him. I know the feeling towards him by some on here but he was capable of playing up top and out wide. And he is capable of scoring goals. To let him go and not replace him in my opinion was a mistake. That being that I think the board have backed Pedro with money, got him players he wanted and he now has to deliver.

really wanted us to get walker but glad we held firm and wouldn't pay over the odds. No idea if dalcio or nemane are any good but they may need to deliver for us now.

Certainly stronger than last season but lacking in a few areas. Hopefully we can address that in Jan
    I wasn't Waghorn's biggest fan by any means, but i'd actually agree with this. Him or Dodoo would at least have been another option off the bench.

If our preferred front 6 is say Pena, Dorrans, Jack, Candeias, Morelos and Miller, then our attacking options in reserve are:

Kranjcar
    Windass
    Herrera
    Nemane
    Dalcio
    Hardie

There's a lot of unknowns there. A couple of injuries and it could be very tight. It's a risk, but i suppose turning over a whole squad in one transfer window was always going to be difficult.

12. Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Bowery Boys View Post
    McLean and Walker on bosmans. I'm disappointed we didn't get Walker tied up. Miller or Windass on the left is depressing.
    We've literally just signed two players that can play on the left!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Sanchez View Post
    We've literally just signed two players that can play on the left!
    That seems to be getting completely ignored, although I have no idea why. Both John and Nemane can play left wing, the latter probably more comfy but it's only the SPFL.

As has been said, in bigger games we may play Jack and Rossiter holding and allow Wallace and Tav to provide width so again not a huge problem there.

The fact that not overpaying for Jamie Walker has wasted some peoples' transfer window after everything we've done is absolutely pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowery Boys View Post
    McLean and Walker on bosmans. I'm disappointed we didn't get Walker tied up. Miller or Windass on the left is depressing.
    I'd add Scott Bain to that as well mate,with a view to cashing in on one of the current 'keepers next summer already on our books to help raise funds for a quality outfield player.
    We've improved dramatically in the space of one window and we'll only get better imo.

The only part of the team that I am certain we are definitely stronger than last season is at the back. The two centre halves are a definite upgrade on what we had. I actually think our back 5 in Wes, Tav, Wallace, Cardoso and Alves is pretty good. Great for SPFL level currently.

Middle to front, I am still not 100% sure we've improved that much on last season but time will tell.

There can be no complaints regarding backing of the manager when we have spent the guts of 9m quid rebuilding the squad. We spent more in one window than we have spent in the last 5-6 years put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumchapel-Bear View Post
    The only part of the team that I am certain we are definitely stronger than last season is at the back. The two centre halves are a definite upgrade on what we had. I actually think our back 5 in Wes, Tav, Wallace, Cardoso and Alves is pretty good. Great for SPFL level currently.

Middle to front, I am still not 100% sure we've improved that much on last season but time will tell.

There can be no complaints regarding backing of the manager when we have spent the guts of 9m quid rebuilding the squad. We spent more in one window than we have spent in the last 5-6 years put together.
    Morelos has already scored half the number of goals Garner gave us the entire season.

I'll wager Herrera will score more than Waghorn's 7 league goals last year as well

17. Question Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

Finally the window has closed. It was starting to drag on a bit for me personally.

Pedro has came in, as a relatively unknown manager to most of us. He was given a few months to appraise not only the playing staff at his disposal, but also the league they play and will compete in.

The task at hand was to rebuild the Rangers playing squad. A squad that sadly had been found lacking in just about every department. So he has to rebuild this failing Rangers squad and deliver a playing staff that are able to compete with 'the rest' and deliver a comfortable second.

We are not a patient support that is quite a task in one window!

He has been backed by the board. Exact figures are unknown but he has been backed in a net spend of anywhere between 5 to 10 million pounds. You could probably split those figures straight down the middle and be pretty close to the money spent.

I think he has done quite well. It isn't job done, we still have some areas that could be looked at, even in the starting 11, but over all i feel we are stronger.

We basically lost a year last year. The team assembled for our first assault on the league in five years was no where near good enough. We should have been coming into this second year of SPFL competition ready to put up some kind of credible challenge to them. Realistically that will be next year now, we have had to start from the start again.

I think Pedro has grasped what is needed for the SPFL better than his predecessors. Future upgrades to the playing staff will see this squad tinkered with rather than ripped up or banished.

Now that the window has closed and we can see the new squad in it's entirety how do you think he has done, what do you think of his efforts? The easy answer is we will find out at seasons end. But what is your perception /feeling, call it what you like, of the new squad right now and of Pedro's efforts?

He gets a pass mark from me.

18. Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Its absolutely insane that there's literally still folk that think we are genuine title contenders. We won't be anywhere near them after 38 games. Our fans really need a reality check. Aberdeen are our first problem to contend with, hopefully we can deal with them this season and look to progress next season. Yes we could beat them in a one off game, stay relatively competitive for some time but over 38 games they will pull away with consummate ease. They have a player in their squad that Man City could easily get upwards of 15m for. Just let that sink in..

Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

I think his recruitment has been good.

He identified the areas that needed strengthening most - Centre defence and midfield - and brought players in for these areas.

He also managed to bring in a player who appears to score goals.

And, also, we have managed to get rid of pretty much all the players we wanted to as well.

"Stay in the hunt until Christmas and address as required." - That is insanely optimistic. Have people not watched anything at all in front of their eyes? If we are still in touching distance after the OF game I'll be delighted and surprised in equal measure.

21. Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by ca100 View Post
    I wasn't Waghorn's biggest fan by any means, but i'd actually agree with this. Him or Dodoo would at least have been another option off the bench.

If our preferred front 6 is say Pena, Dorrans, Jack, Candeias, Morelos and Miller, then our attacking options in reserve are:

Kranjcar
    Windass
    Herrera
    Nemane
    Dalcio
    Hardie

There's a lot of unknowns there. A couple of injuries and it could be very tight. It's a risk, but i suppose turning over a whole squad in one transfer window was always going to be difficult.
    There is one thing that wasn't unknown and that was Waghorn's ability. Or lack of.

He just couldn't score for Rangers. I cant see one good reason for keeping the guy, as nice a guy as he was.

22. Default Re: Pedro's first Rangers squad. How did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I think his recruitment has been good.

He identified the areas that needed strengthening most - Centre defence and midfield - and brought players in for these areas.

He also managed to bring in a player who appears to score goals.

And, also, we have managed to get rid of pretty much all the players we wanted to as well.
    That is a really big part of it, very important.

We had far too many players that for whatever reason were no where near the standard required. We have got rid of most of them.

He's done ok, we're stronger in defence, midfield and attack. The key is Pena, he was the big signing and the one that could, if fit,make the difference between fighting for second and fighting for first.

He did alright...got defence and midfield right. Not sure about out wide, or at full back.

Certainy more appropriate for SPL than Warburton's squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duncan Ferguson View Post
    Morelos has already scored half the number of goals Garner gave us the entire season.

I'll wager Herrera will score more than Waghorn's 7 league goals last year as well
    I agree.

Waghorn was a really likeable big chap, but I just can't shake off the comment I read on here that we would be better off with a road cone out there than Waghorn.

He was utterly one footed and he didn't have enough pace or energy to properly run the channels. He also didn't offer much in the air.

From the little I've seen so far in the early season, I'm already far more comfortable with the prospect of Morelos being the guy that we expect to finish off the moves.