Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedro Caixinha's Rangers Squad

1. Default Pedro Caixinha's Rangers Squad

Until Christmas and address as required.

This summer we've seen a turn around of 24 players. Name another club in our situation?

Dodoo, Garner, Senderos, Waghorn, Kiernan, O'Halloran, Hill, Forrester, Halliday, McKay, Crooks, Hyndman and Toral - gone.

John, Alves, Cardoso, Candeias, Morelos, Pena, Herrera, Dorrans, Dalcio, Nemane and Jack - in.

A whole new centre of defence. A new partnership in the middle of the park, a new strike force.

Pedro Caixinha needed to over see a complete overhaul and in one window he has managed that whilst making us stronger. No club in world football can build a squad in one window - a matter of months, it's impossible. We've now got the foundations of a good squad and what we must make sure is that we improve it each window with a couple of quality signings. This stripping it back to the bones and rebuilding time and time again is of no use.

Yes, there are still weaknesses, areas of concern but it is what it is. It's going to take time, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a successful football team.

Since Progres we have made two signings; loan signings in Nemane and John. I've not included Dorrans as that deal had been out in the public for weeks.

It's now time for Pedro Caixinha to show he's good enough to stay in the job and strengthen further in January.

Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

I hope to god Windass stays fit and in form. Going into another Old Firm game with Kranjcar or Miller at left midfield is the stuff of nightmares. That being said, I suppose John can play there

Same goes for Morelos

I'm disappointed Walker didn't happen - I won't lie. I thought he was the final piece of the jigsaw. But Caixianha can't complain that he hasn't got his man; the board have backed him heavily and we've hardly had an inspiring start to the season. Time for him to find a proper tactic that works and get his big signings fit
    Last edited by jdilla; 01-09-2017 at 06:39.

Blog Entries

Pedro now has to prove himself,hopefully we're challenging at Christmas.

4. Default Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Good post and I agree.

We need to stay in contention. With only one OF game before Christmas, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope to be within 3-6 points of them. What we need to do is beat Aberdeen at Ibrox, and ideally win the OF game, but certainly not lose it.

I think with our squad, the games against the dross should take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourageous View Post
    Until Christmas and address as required.

This summer we've seen a turn around of 24 players. Name another club in our situation?

Dodoo, Garner, Senderos, Waghorn, Kiernan, O'Halloran, Hill, Forrester, Halliday, McKay, Crooks, Hyndman and Toral - gone.

John, Alves, Cardoso, Candeias, Morelos, Pena, Herrera, Dorrans, Dalcio, Nemane and Jack - in.

A whole new centre of defence. A new partnership in the middle of the park, a new strike force.

Pedro Caixinha needed to over see a complete overhaul and in one window he has managed that whilst making us stronger. No club in world football can build a squad in one window - a matter of months, it's impossible. We've now got the foundations of a good squad and what we must make sure is that we improve it each window with a couple of quality signings. This stripping it back to the bones and rebuilding time and time again is of no use.

Yes, there are still weaknesses, areas of concern but it is what it is. It's going to take time, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a successful football team.

Since Progres we have made two signings; loan signings in Nemane and John. I've not included Dorrans as that deal had been out in the public for weeks.

It's now time for Pedro Caixinha to show he's good enough to stay in the job and strengthen further in January.

Good post and pretty much agree with all you say

It's a way better window than any of us could've imagined.

We are stronger all over the park with decent cover.

I am not a Pedro fan but let's see what he can do with the team and give the players a chance .

Would agree with you there.we,ve backed pedro so lets see what he can do.

Firstly I wanted Walker and I am dissapointed we didn't get that deal over the line. When asked pre window closing what we felt we need my reply was Walker, Naismith and a versatile full back. Well we got one of the three.

BUT I do like a team when they play 4-4-2 (as Pedro has seemed to want to) to have one wide man who is out and out hug the touch line and the other side to be a more central player. There is no doubt we can adjust accordingly and get the team playing well without a strong left mid. It will mean more onus on Candieas to deliver but so far he has looked capable so for me its not a disaster.

It also gives this boy from City a chance. He's young and we can't pin our hopes on him but he is here to play some games so let's see what he has. Same goes for Dalcio who we all seem to have written off, he might settle down and eventually look like a decent enough player.

Plus really January is only a few months away. AND we got to show SPL clubs we won't just blink first repeatedly in these negotiations - I got the feeling throughout that hearts felt it was rangers and of course they will pay eventually.

We held all the cards in terms of Walker. He'll be a Rangers player in January for a few hundred quid. Agree with the OP, we just need to stay in touch until then.

Quite confident we will, especially with the tramps playing six games in Europe

McLean and Walker on bosmans. I'm disappointed we didn't get Walker tied up. Miller or Windass on the left is depressing.

Great post OP, totally agree. We are definitely much better than last season.

Blog Entries

Puts it into perspective, good post OP. As much as I'm not a Pedro fan, he's swept away some of the dead wood and, on paper, appears to have strengthened a lot of positions.

Blog Entries

We have a solid spine to the team now which is great but we are short of quality in the wide areas and up front.

Overall i am reasonably happy but tbh i dont think we have done enough to build a squad capable to challange the tims. In fact, we are going to have to be super consistent even to keep up with Aberdeen.

If Morelos picks up a bad injury we are screwed.

Would like to see Jack and Rossiter together and Dorrans a bit further forward .Think we would be a bit tighter in midfield especially if Niko continues to start in Windass's absence

Quote Originally Posted by Bowery Boys View Post
    McLean and Walker on bosmans. I'm disappointed we didn't get Walker tied up. Miller or Windass on the left is depressing.
    The lad we signed from Man City on loan plays there, as can John from Cardiff, so we are covered in that position, yes it would have been good to get Walker, but long term it may work out well for us.

By showing clubs that we won't be pressured into paying over the odds for players it might make other clubs reconsider playing hard ball with us. Hearts will now get less than half of what they wanted in January or nothing at all at the end of the season. The same goes for Dolly with Kenny McLean.

I think Declan John might surprise,a lot of talk from Cardiff fans was that he was not a good defender but decent going forward?

From where the squad was at the end of last season until just now is a superb turnaround in one transfer window , now Pedro has a few months to work with these players and find what needs improved next window where rather than quantity hopefully we just add quality

Disappointed there has been no real backing for the manager since going out of Europe and the retail deal being renegotiated .

We badly needed a wide player and another forward and our gamble of hard ball with Hertz may have saved us a few hundred grand but will see Us struggle on the wide areas.

If Candieas or Morelos gets injured we are in real trouble.

The spine of the team is much better but it has very little flair and to continue to play Miller and Kranjcar will cost Pedro his job .

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack 1873 View Post
    Disappointed there has been no real backing for the manager since going out of Europe and the retail deal being renegotiated .

We badly needed a wide player and another forward and our gamble of hard ball with Hertz may have saved us a few hundred grand but will see Us struggle on the wide areas.

If Candieas or Morelos gets injured we are in real trouble.

The spine of the team is much better but it has very little flair and to continue to play Miller and Kranjcar will cost Pedro his job .
    Tbf mate they've backed him plenty this window and I think you'll find Kenny and Niko being used more from the bench as the season goes on.

I take your point about Morelos getting injured, but is that not the same with all teams?

If Griffiths gets injured who have the scum got as back up?

Some French kid who's never played a first team game or a crocked Dembele who's unlikely by all accounts to play again this year?

At least we've got a couple of decent options with Herrera and Kenny.
    Last edited by MearnsUnionist; 01-09-2017 at 07:51.

Blog Entries

Question Re: We know our squad - stay in the hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by superally54 View Post
    We have a solid spine to the team now which is great but we are short of quality in the wide areas and up front.

Overall i am reasonably happy but tbh i dont think we have done enough to build a squad capable to challange the tims. In fact, we are going to have to be super consistent even to keep up with Aberdeen.

If Morelos picks up a bad injury we are screwed.
    That is how I see it also.

Quote Originally Posted by MearnsUnionist View Post
    Tbf mate they've backed him plenty this window
    I think they have but a few hundred grand more would have made all the difference or if the weren't prepared to pay the extra cash for Walker a decent quality loan should have been brought in .

I honestly think we will have a massive struggle to take second from Aberdeen unless Pena turns out to be the 8.5 million player he once was and Windass improves consistently.

We've strengthened the spine of the team which is what a lot of people were hoping for.

It could be a bit of a risk seeing more go out than has came in considering we already had a light squad. An injury to Alves, Jack or Morelos would seem like it would have a big impact.

A lot depends on how Herrera and Pena adjust, if they live up to their fees and push us on then that should see us more comfortably in 2nd. The loan signings could go either way and if any significantly contribute then that's a bonus.

Personally I feel like we might end up in dogfight for 2nd place and - perhaps unrealistically - I was hoping to be well beyond that this season.

There are question marks over Pedro, particularly after Progres.

His challenge is to keep this squad, which still cost a fair bit, in the hunt until Xmas.

If he does, he'll be given money. He will have turned his fortunes around and will he backed accordingly. If he doesnt, he'll be replaced and a new man afforded the cash.

Can't help but think we're cooling any further investment until he proves himself capable with what has already been invested.

If we'd signed exactly the same number of players but worked out in the way that we signed Alves, Dorrans and Cardoso on the last day of the transfer window, people would have been wanking themselves into oblivion.

We done our business early and refused to get our pants pulled down by Hearts, and rightly so. Got a few players who can play at left wing so I'm genuinely not worried.