Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers fan with eleven middle names

Default Rangers fan with eleven middle names

A dad has revealed how being named after the entire Rangers team once led to a brush with the law.

Tam Fox appeared on our front page when he was born half a century ago thanks to his unusual name.He celebrated his 50th birthday yesterday.

Tam was named Thomas Martin Johansen Provan Jardine McKinnon Greig Henderson Willoughby Miller Smith Wilson Bulman.

Tam, who’s surname was changed from Bulman to Fox as a child – told how he’s always loved his unique name even if it has led to awkward moments. The retired decorator said: “It’s been a great thing for me over the years and has caused a good few laughs.

“But there was an occasion when I was younger when the police pulled me over in the street.

Named after the Rangers line up on the day he was born, Tam is proud of his lengthy moniker

“They asked my name and, when I told them, they didn’t see the funny side. They didn’t believe me and took me down the station, phoned my mum and asked, ‘Does he have any middle names?’

“She just replied, ‘Yes – but I hope you don’t expect me to remember them’.”

Tam, of Irvine, Ayrshire, said: “I loved Rangers as a boy. I still do and go to games when I can.

“It causes a bit of confusion at first when people look at my passport but that’s the way it is.”

Tam was named after the Rangers team as it was on the day of his birth on March 18, 1967.

The side beat Ayr United 4-1 in front of 16,000 fans at Somerset Park with two goals from Alex Willoughby, one from Sandy Jardine and an own goal.

But the Rangers team that day contained a couple of players called Smith – Alex and Davie – and the registrar wouldn’t allow two Smiths in the name.

So the surname Miller, understood to be striker Jimmy, was substituted instead to bring it up to a full complement of 11 middle names.

The idea was down to his Rangers -daft dad, Thomas senior.
    Last edited by ItsInTheNet; 19-03-2017 at 19:12.

Default Re: Rangers fan with eleven middle names

Quote Originally Posted by ItsInTheNet View Post
    A dad has revealed how being named after the entire Rangers team once led to a brush with the law.

Tam Fox appeared on our front page when he was born half a century ago thanks to his unusual name.He celebrated his 50th birthday yesterday.
    I know him
    Tam was named Thomas Martin Johansen Provan Jardine McKinnon Greig Henderson Willoughby Miller Smith Wilson Bulman.

Tam, who’s surname was changed from Bulman to Fox as a child – told how he’s always loved his unique name even if it has led to awkward moments. The retired decorator said: “It’s been a great thing for me over the years and has caused a good few laughs.

“But there was an occasion when I was younger when the police pulled me over in the street.

Named after the Rangers line up on the day he was born, Tam is proud of his lengthy moniker

“They asked my name and, when I told them, they didn’t see the funny side. They didn’t believe me and took me down the station, phoned my mum and asked, ‘Does he have any middle names?’

Tam, of Irvine, Ayrshire, said: “I loved Rangers as a boy. I still do and go to games when I can.

“It causes a bit of confusion at first when people look at my passport but that’s the way it is.”

Tam was named after the Rangers team as it was on the day of his birth on March 18, 1967.

'My father was my grandfather' Tilda Swinton's ex-partner reveals he is the product of incestuous relationship
    The side beat Ayr United 4-1 in front of 16,000 fans at Somerset Park with two goals from Alex Willoughby, one from Sandy Jardine and an own goal.

But the Rangers team that day contained a couple of players called Smith – Alex and Davie – and the registrar wouldn’t allow two Smiths in the name.

So the surname Miller, understood to be striker Jimmy, was substituted instead to bring it up to a full complement of 11 middle names.

I know him

Could have been worse. Could have been eleven names of the team of 4 years ago

I know him also,

I don't know him!

Quote Originally Posted by stoddy View Post
    I don't know him!
    Stop being awkward

His dad sounds like a proper man

And to think, the wife said no to my proposal of naming our son Alistair, it's funny how somethings turn out for the best.

No offence to all the Alistair's out there.
    Last edited by blueismycolour; 19-03-2017 at 22:45.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ItsInTheNet View Post

Looks like he's got Jimmy Millar's name spelt wrong.

suramericaranger is offline anyone in marketing or advertising...kill yourself

He must have one of those passports with extra pages.

Quote Originally Posted by blueismycolour View Post
    And to think, the wife said no to my proposal of naming our son Alistair, it's funny how somethings turn out for the best.

No offence to all the Alistair's out there.
    My wife wouldn't let me give my son Alistair as a middle name. Nevermind, he'll just have to play for Rangers himself.

Blog Entries

Love reading stories like that. Well done that bear's dad!

I dont know him.

Excellent story, Itsinthenet! There must be folk throughout Britain named after their dad's team's league or cup winning sides. I read about a guy in Aberdeen who's named after their CWC winning squad in 1983. He appears regularly in the local paper in the Court Round-up !

I was at my mates christening and he never cracked a light before. The minister read out "we are here to celebrate the baptism of ....... Brian Laudrup...... The full place was in stitches. A genuine laugh out loud moment I'll remember forever.

I know someone who has an entire team from NIAR as his middle names - Gascoigne, Durrant, McCoist, Laudrup - the lot!

My youngest girl was at an interview for a degree apprenticeship the other week and they had to stand up in a group and intoduce themselves. The guy from the company was laughing away when she said "Hello, my name is Victoria Hannah Ibrox....He was the only one in the room who seen the significance and asked if she was joking - she replied " No, why would I ?"

Blog Entries

Satty Singh called his lads Mark Walters Singh and Oleg Kuznetsov Singh.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jamesy View Post
    Excellent story, Itsinthenet! There must be folk throughout Britain named after their dad's team's league or cup winning sides. I read about a guy in Aberdeen who's named after their CWC winning squad in 1983. He appears regularly in the local paper in the Court Round-up !
    "Dolly" by any chance?

Absolutely astonishing.

He's retired

Lucky git

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MEZ575 View Post
    I know him
    Sure it's the same guy?

This. Just this.

"Tam, of Irvine, Ayrshire, said: “I loved Rangers as a boy. I still do and go to games when I can."

It never leaves you Tam, all the best mate. Oh, I've never met him, don't know him but I have heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MEZ575 View Post
    I know him
    Gonnie get me his autograph.

There was a Lex McLean sketch on tv years ago, with him standing at the font wearing a Rangers scarf.

The minister asked the baby's full name, and he rattled off something like Ritchie Shearer Caldow Greig McKinnon Baxter Henderson McMillan Millar Brand Wilson etc.

The minister asked him, "Have you any regrets?"

Lex replied, "Ah wish tae God it had been a boy!"

My mums cousin named his boy after Alistair McCoist (first and middle names) He was born on the 30th or 31St December 1991 (I forget the exact date) and he announced on bus up to the New Year 1992 game, at the Shit pit, that his boy would be named after the player to score our first goal.

To think, it could have been Nigel, Oleg or Alexei

As an aside, my auld man was at that game with a broken leg. Full plaster cast the lot. He was in phucking agony by the time Bombers goal went in.