PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle United 6th in EPL

rfc1952
21-12-2013, 23:14
Based on their performance at Ibrox in the pre- season friendly are you surprised at their league placing ?

Speaking to some of the Toon Army after that game I know they will be :D

EK Billy Boy
21-12-2013, 23:16
Based on their performance at Ibrox in the pre- season friendly are you surprised at their league placing ?

Speaking to some of the Toon Army after that game I know they will be :D

Pre season friendlies mean very little

superrangers
21-12-2013, 23:18
They aren't great at all and without Remi's goals would be nowhere near 6th.

Would put money on that they don't end the season in 6th.

doyle55
21-12-2013, 23:21
They have been great these last few weeks.

Top_Cat
21-12-2013, 23:24
They won't finish 6th.

adelblue
21-12-2013, 23:25
Well organised top half team. I can't see them going higher.

Dunantblue
21-12-2013, 23:25
The man has done an amazing job under trying circs.

Very god coach and manager.

Virgil Hilts
21-12-2013, 23:27
Im more surprised at their turnround since last season with very little added to their squad

tauntonbear
21-12-2013, 23:27
They'll be whipping their tops off & getting their tits oot all over the country if this goes on.

Discodale
21-12-2013, 23:44
The Newcastle fans still don't think a lot of Pardew - reckon he's poor tactically and can't motivate the players.

Interesting to see who they lose in the transfer window, and how they react to that.

Heading down for the Arsenal game, interesting to see how they approach a match against a team that might be top of the league again. Can't imagine they'll be allowed to control possession like they have in some recent games, Arsenal's midfield won't let them do that.

talktalk
21-12-2013, 23:47
When you think the keek they started the season with they have done wellto get there.

wacaktb
21-12-2013, 23:48
They've been superb in the last month

magpieranger
22-12-2013, 08:06
They aren't great at all and without Remi's goals would be nowhere near 6th.

Would put money on that they don't end the season in 6th.

You could say that about most clubs. Liverpool wouldn't be top if it weren't for Suarez etc.

Good player that Remy is he's been poor the last 5 or 6 games and hasn't scored in almost 9 hours of football yet we're in the best form we've been in all season.

Of course it's unlikely we'll finish 6th. Spurs and Man Utd will no doubt overtake us but an 8th place finish is definitely achievable.

It's just a shame Ashley won't dip into his pocket to strengthen our thin squad. Victorys over Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd without even conceding a goal and a draw with Liverpool despite us playing the entire 2nd half with 10 men show that our team can compete with the top clubs but a couple of injuries and suspensions will cripple us. When we finished 5th 2 seasons ago we got very lucky with injuries and we'd need something similar this time round.

Daddy_Bear07
22-12-2013, 08:15
Been impressed with them anytime I've seen them this season. The opening game aside.

Thought they were great at OT and Pardew got his tactics spot on.

Stoke, Arsenal and West Brom to play over the holidays, take 6 or 7 points from them and they must be included with a shout for a CL spot.

Everyone goes on about Cabaye, Remy or Ben Arfa but Sissoko for me looks a good player with a great engine.

How great would it be if Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton grab CL spots this year, however unlikely that may be.

Gourlay
22-12-2013, 08:27
Im more surprised at their turnround since last season with very little added to their squad

Consistency in team selection and no europa league has definitely helped us this season.

Need to look after and keep cabaye fit.

magpieranger
22-12-2013, 08:53
Been impressed with them anytime I've seen them this season. The opening game aside.

Thought they were great at OT and Pardew got his tactics spot on.

Stoke, Arsenal and West Brom to play over the holidays, take 6 or 7 points from them and they must be included with a shout for a CL spot.

Everyone goes on about Cabaye, Remy or Ben Arfa but Sissoko for me looks a good player with a great engine.

How great would it be if Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton grab CL spots this year, however unlikely that may be.

Sissoko is a cracking player. Very strong and quick with a good shot as well. Tiote is also playing out of his skin and Anita has come in and looks a very tidy player. Cabaye is still our most important player though. His range of passing is incredible, he scores goals and most of our play goes through him. He was a massive miss against Southampton last week and if I'm being honest he's too good to be at Newcastle. He should be playing in the Champions League.

Special mention for Debuchy who is without doubt the best right back in the league on current form. He's a top player.

Sebo23
22-12-2013, 09:09
They bought a lot of Frenchies last January in one go, and it looked like they had maybe overloaded to the detriment of the team, but apart from Sissoko who started really well, guys like Debuchy and Gouffran needed time to settle and were looking a bit out of depth.

This season though they've kept Cabaye fit, and managed him well actually after the Arsenal bid, Debuchy, Gouffran and Anita seemed to have settled well, Remy has proved a good outlet and a shrewd signing, and guys like Tiote are finding form again.

Still a bit flakey at the back sometimes but they are playing more as a team now.

MagpieRanger, how highly do you rate Cabaye. Would he have added something to the Arsenal team, or is he pretty similar to what they have?

Palacebear
22-12-2013, 09:46
I was at the palace game yesterday and cabaye, was a class above anyone else. They were very comfortable winners yesterday.

JellaFella
22-12-2013, 10:14
Why wouldn’t they finish 6th? They have an excellent side.

magpieranger
22-12-2013, 10:17
They bought a lot of Frenchies last January in one go, and it looked like they had maybe overloaded to the detriment of the team, but apart from Sissoko who started really well, guys like Debuchy and Gouffran needed time to settle and were looking a bit out of depth.

This season though they've kept Cabaye fit, and managed him well actually after the Arsenal bid, Debuchy, Gouffran and Anita seemed to have settled well, Remy has proved a good outlet and a shrewd signing, and guys like Tiote are finding form again.

Still a bit flakey at the back sometimes but they are playing more as a team now.

MagpieRanger, how highly do you rate Cabaye. Would he have added something to the Arsenal team, or is he pretty similar to what they have?

I think he's better than what they have, certainly better than Wiltshire. Like I said everything we do goes through him and although we have some quality players he's head and shoulders better than anyone else in our team. I genuinely believe he'd grace any team in the Premier League.

Sadly he won't be a NUFC player next season. At the moment I'm just enjoying watching him play in a black and white shirt. I just hope we've still got him after January.

Cannavaro
22-12-2013, 10:17
The fans were protesting about six weeks ago, their current form is superb and they have half a dozen excellent players