PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years and Counting

gogs38
21-12-2013, 19:59
This Boxing Day will be my 50th year supporting the Rangers.
My first game at Ibrox was on 28th December Vs Dundee.

Off to this famous Mecca called Ibrox Park complete with new strip (Christmas present) worn under the duffle coat. Accompanied by my uncle James.

First stop programme about 3d. (1.1/2p.) next came the rosette with Ian McMillan's name on it and a wee doll attached.

I was lifted over the turnstyle at the East Enclosure, and scrambled upstairs.

I couldn't believe my eyes at the shear vastness of Ibrox, the amount of people and a grass pitch.

When the teams took to the pitch the noise was deafening for a seven year old, coupled with the noise of the ricketys (they were still in vougue at that time).

This was a big match for the Bears and the fans against an excellent Dundee team. I also remember this was Eric Caldows' comeback match after breaking his leg at Wembley the previous season.

The Gers won this one 2-1 IIRC the scores were Provan and Forrest.

That season 63-64 Rangers won the Treble and I thought this happened every season as my old man told me back then that Rangers had never ever been beaten.

Little was I to know that I would be 18 years old before I would see another League Championship Flag being raised at Ibrox.

The only downside to this game was that Rangers wore the Blue and White stripes, as the home side always changed when their was a colour clash.

Can any older Bear fill me in with any details of this match.

Le Big Bear Bum
21-12-2013, 20:25
Sorry, not old enough to hep you with your query.

But, love reading old accounts like these.

Can i ask a question:

How would you compare the game (the matchday experience, the quality of the football, the value for money, the enjoyment factor, etc) between your younger years and now?

TamfaeKP
21-12-2013, 20:27

Off to this famous Mecca called Ibrox Park complete with new strip (Christmas present) worn under the duffle coat. Accompanied by my uncle James.

First stop programme about 3d. (1.1/2p.) next came the rosette with Ian McMillan's name on it and a wee doll attached.

I couldn't believe my eyes at the shear vastness of Ibrox, the amount of people and a grass pitch.

When the teams took to the pitch the noise was deafening for a seven year old, coupled with the noise of the ricketys (they were still in vougue at that time).

This was a big match for the Bears and the fans against an excellent Dundee team. I also remember this was Eric Caldows' comeback match after breaking his leg at Wembley the previous season.

That season 63-64 Rangers won the Treble and I thought this happened every season as my old man told me back then that Rangers had never ever been beaten.

Little was I to know that I would be 18 years old before I would see another League Championship Flag being raised at Ibrox.

The only downside to this game was that Rangers wore the Blue and White stripes, as the home side always changed when their was a colour clash.

This site is essential reading. Follow the links and all info is there:-

http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/index.php

talktalk
21-12-2013, 20:39
Their keeper that day would have been my old mans mate Bert Slater.

alberttz2011
21-12-2013, 21:00
Think Dundee were a fairly good side in those days and had several international players, Cox, Hamilton, Gilzean, Ure, maybe others. They had a good run in Europe at one point, getting to the SF of the old style European Cup. My first game was a wee bit earlier, in Oct of that year v Morton.

gogs38
21-12-2013, 21:21
Sorry, not old enough to hep you with your query.

But, love reading old accounts like these.

Can i ask a question:

How would you compare the game (the matchday experience, the quality of the football, the value for money, the enjoyment factor, etc) between your younger years and now?

Back in the day for me anyway, every Rangers player was a hero a Colossus, playing and representing everything that was right in this world.

The Gers were the British they were the Germans, we were the cavalry they were the indians.

We were the righteous.

Football was very rarely shown on telly in those days apart from highlights on Scotsport and Sportsreel (which preceeded Sportscene in the 60s).

Their was also a dearth of magazines covering Scottish Football, we got the odd mention in Football Monthly which covered just about every team in England.

The matchday experience as far as me and my mates were concerned started about the Thursday when the excitement would start to build in primary school, talking about our forthcoming opponents and who should play at outside left for Rangers Davy Wilson or Willie Johnston, couple of years later Willie Johnston or Orjan Person.

Come Saturday morning 3 o'clock couldn't come quick enough.

Jumping on 50 bus from Pollok singing our hearts out (average age about 10).

Running from Paisley Rd West to Edmiston Drive, asking any able bodied adult for a 'lift over ' 'scuse me mister gonny geez a lift', 'aye son as long as you carry ma kerry oot', Job done into the match.

We always made a pact that we would meet at the wall at the front of 'The Derry' (Govan Stand) behind the wee blue invalid cars.

We would sit there on the wall giving it laldy making up our own songs about our favourite players, Forrest,Willoughby, Dave Smith and Willie Henderson.

In those days just about every team had flying wingers attack attack attack
you could sing what you wanted without looking over your shoulder.

These players were absolute Icons the whole matchday experience lasted till Monday as we eagerly awaited the next trip to Ibrox in a fortnight.

lex mclean loyal
22-12-2013, 01:01
OP great story,my 1st Ibrox game 1st February 1969 also East Enclosure

D4RN-L
22-12-2013, 06:27
28/12/1963 was a 2-1 win over Dundee in front of 43,000.

It was followed by a 1-0 win over the Tramps with 65,000 recorded as the attendance.

laganvillage
22-12-2013, 09:05
Congratulations on your 50th year "Following on". Maybe you could give us your favourite game and your favourite XI?

Le Big Bear Bum
22-12-2013, 10:51
Back in the day for me anyway, every Rangers player was a hero a Colossus, playing and representing everything that was right in this world.

The Gers were the British they were the Germans, we were the cavalry they were the indians.

We were the righteous.

Football was very rarely shown on telly in those days apart from highlights on Scotsport and Sportsreel (which preceeded Sportscene in the 60s).

Their was also a dearth of magazines covering Scottish Football, we got the odd mention in Football Monthly which covered just about every team in England.

The matchday experience as far as me and my mates were concerned started about the Thursday when the excitement would start to build in primary school, talking about our forthcoming opponents and who should play at outside left for Rangers Davy Wilson or Willie Johnston, couple of years later Willie Johnston or Orjan Person.

Come Saturday morning 3 o'clock couldn't come quick enough.

Jumping on 50 bus from Pollok singing our hearts out (average age about 10).

Running from Paisley Rd West to Edmiston Drive, asking any able bodied adult for a 'lift over ' 'scuse me mister gonny geez a lift', 'aye son as long as you carry ma kerry oot', Job done into the match.

We always made a pact that we would meet at the wall at the front of 'The Derry' (Govan Stand) behind the wee blue invalid cars.

We would sit there on the wall giving it laldy making up our own songs about our favourite players, Forrest,Willoughby, Dave Smith and Willie Henderson.

In those days just about every team had flying wingers attack attack attack
you could sing what you wanted without looking over your shoulder.

These players were absolute Icons the whole matchday experience lasted till Monday as we eagerly awaited the next trip to Ibrox in a fortnight.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

saltcoatsblu
22-12-2013, 11:21

http://i42.tinypic.com/23ihrpy.jpg

gogs38
22-12-2013, 19:13
Congratulations on your 50th year "Following on". Maybe you could give us your favourite game and your favourite XI?

Many favourite games stand out.

First ever game Vs them, in March '64 2-0 victory, Sc. Cup Q.F.

Kai Johansen Cup Final, '66.

ECWC Semi-Final Vs Slavia Sofia, '67

Orjan Persons' winning goal Vs them '67.

Derek Johnstone L.C.F. winner 1970.

Barcelona '72.

Tam Forsyths winner SCF '73.

Colin Steins equalizer at Easter Rd '75 (to win Scot 1st Div Title)

2 Trebles in 70s.

Honestly laganvillage I could go on and on.

Have been a ST holder for 26 years and now a shareholder.

As for a favourite 11.

it would be:

Goram
Jardine
Gough
Brown
Greig

Laudrup
Gazza
Souness
Baxter

Johnstone
McCoist

Best ever era to follow, follow was the 70s, although not always succesful.

That mob still new their place.

laganvillage
22-12-2013, 23:09
Thanks Gogs and again congratulations.