PDA

View Full Version : Any personal memories of this game bears? (63 cup final replay)

mr mojo risin
20-12-2013, 18:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDz3l3wp30:flaguk:

dh1963
20-12-2013, 19:34
My old man was there and he remembers it as a great night but also a chance lost.

He said we absolutely embarrassed and outplayed them, and their end was empty with 20 minutes left it was so one-sided, with Baxter unplayable. That was great.

But also that he had stood at Hampden 6 years earlier and saw them beat us 7-1, and he felt if Baxter and co hadn't wanted to take the piss, we could and should have beaten them by at least as many.

SemperSec
20-12-2013, 19:38
I know 'cos I was there. I can not remember much about this match as it seemed we always beat them 3-0 in those days ( yawn.

SemperSec
20-12-2013, 19:44
Since those days I have always considered 3-0 to be the perfect score. The implication being that you quickly & efficiently tied the game up and then stopped trying. We know that football is partially about of luck and that any team can score 5-6-7 goals when the gods are smiling but 3-0 is THE score.

mr mojo risin
20-12-2013, 22:20
WATP

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=if+we+only+had+the+rangers+ov er+here&sm=1

tambourineman
20-12-2013, 22:33
I was there. My main memories are that Baxter had perhaps his finest hour; the team just toyed with them in the second half, passing the ball around as they chased it - wee kids against grown-ups; and us chanting easy easy easy.

And a very empty tims end long before the end. Long before the end.

I know it is now received wisdom to be disappointed at the fact we did not go for it and take a barrowload off them, but at the time (my recollection anyway) we all fecking loved it.

It was a massacre with Slim Jim was in his pomp. Wee Ian MacMillan, brought into the replay to replace George McLean, was also outstanding.

the outsideleft
20-12-2013, 22:57

Yes I was at that game also the saturday game when we should have won by a barrowload but haffey put the shutters up and had a great game but he could not repeat in the replay

GLS 1445
20-12-2013, 22:57
I was there, what a terrific night, Baxter tried to sneak the match ball under his shirt for Ian MacMillan who was just as good as Slim Jim, that was the difference from the first game.

kowloonloyal
20-12-2013, 23:10

Wasn't allowed to go, school next day.:(

sammysun
21-12-2013, 02:21
I was at this game also on the sat.I remember PACKY WILSON scored for them don't remember hwo scored the rangers goal.The Wednesday game myself and lots of gers fans
were locked out off the gers end and the cops told us we could go in to the tims end if we
wanted I know it sounds daft in this day and age but this is what we done to see the team.we had a cordon of glasgows finest all around us as the srewtaps fell from the sky,
Iremember the JIM BAXTER with the ball up his top as of now the SFA demanded their ball back, I think JIM payed for it in the end.

sandy stewart
21-12-2013, 02:24
was there at both games fantastic slim jim took the piss out of them

Willem Bear
21-12-2013, 15:28
I went to this game with my older brother, and he has told me since that we stood in Section J.

Me? I was only 7 years old, and my mum and dad thought I was down the park kicking a ball about with my pals.

That was my first ever game and was when I fell in love with The Rangers, and Davy Wilson became my first hero.

I also remember getting my mum to sew a makeshift No.11 on the back of my Rangers jersey, which she made from cutting up an old sheet. She told me later that she was glad I picked Davy Wilson, because Baxter's No.6 would have been "a bloody impossibility" !!

CamChris
21-12-2013, 16:08
Was at the game and remember it well. As others have said Baxter was outstanding. That night the "easy easy" was born, started in North Enclosure and swept round the Rangers end to Main Stand.

annanberr06
21-12-2013, 17:45
I was at this game also on the sat.I remember PACKY WILSON scored for them don't remember hwo scored the rangers goal.The Wednesday game myself and lots of gers fans
were locked out off the gers end and the cops told us we could go in to the tims end if we
wanted I know it sounds daft in this day and age but this is what we done to see the team.we had a cordon of glasgows finest all around us as the srewtaps fell from the sky,
Iremember the JIM BAXTER with the ball up his top as of now the SFA demanded their ball back, I think JIM payed for it in the end.

Ralphie Brand scored for us,and Bobby Murdoch for them,Paul Wilson didn't play for them till the mid 70s mate

Govan36
21-12-2013, 18:06

Was at the first game but my big brother wouldn't take me to the replay - can't blame him really there must have been about 134,000 at the first game and he spent most of the game worrying about his wee brother. ;)