PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Levy, A man who knows how to run a football club

RinosPaws
02-09-2013, 12:29
Gets what he wants and deserves for players.

gets rid of managers and brings in the right ones to replace them.

keeps a good grip on finances.

has his club marketed very well.

is well respected and doesnt shoot his mouth.

How different things could have been for us if he was promoted to chairman and not kicked to the kerb by Murray.

Ross_
02-09-2013, 12:36
He has been impecable this transfer window tbh , to get the full 100m Euro for Bale was impressive and offloading others like Huddlestone & Livermore to hull for 7m

not to mention the players they have brought in (Wll.I.Am apart)

Southside_Shug
02-09-2013, 12:37
Pity they are shit

macdonsj
02-09-2013, 12:39
this window he has been masterful

previous ones he made an arse of it and thats why they finished out of the CL places

18kjmmd73
Said they renegotiated the 25% sell on clause to Southampton when they hit the skids. It changed to them losing the sell on clause and gaining some no-mark goalkeeper :D

Wonder if he fancys an excursion up North ?

..........and yet they still can't beat the worst Arsenal team for 20+ years

a1800uk
02-09-2013, 12:45

How different things could have been for us if he was promoted to chairman and not kicked to the kerb by Murray.

Agreed - he could/should have been of huge benefit to the club... that said, Levy was Joe Lewis's man and when Lewis sold his shareholding back to Murray (for a substantial loss) - Levy left.

omegaman
02-09-2013, 12:47
Yup.

How we could do with him back on our board now!

barneythebear
02-09-2013, 12:49
he very quickly stopped going to board meetings when he saw the way minty was running things.

big poppa
Said they renegotiated the 25% sell on clause to Southampton when they hit the skids. It changed to them losing the sell on clause and gaining some no-mark goalkeeper :D

I heard about that one a wee while ago.

Thats a sore one indeed! :eek:

GioLoyal
Aye he's brilliant.

100million spent and still behind Arsenal.

beanyrfc
02-09-2013, 12:51

Whit a kick in the baws that is for Southampton :D

prso1
02-09-2013, 12:51
I heard about that one a wee while ago.

Thats a sore one indeed! :eek:

Not really. It helped save them and they are now in the prem making a mint.

cw3038
02-09-2013, 12:52
A very shrewd guy,held out and got top dollar for Bale.

beanyrfc
02-09-2013, 12:54
Not really. It helped save them and they are now in the prem making a mint.

Did Spurs pay them a fee for the sell on clause or just give them a keeper in return for it?

prso1
02-09-2013, 12:55
Did Spurs pay them a fee for the sell on clause or just give them a keeper in return for it?

Paid them a fee plus the keeper.

Gio Van Bronckhorst
02-09-2013, 12:57
His handling of transfers isn't great for the manager.

Modric sold at the last minute likewise Berbatov, meant the managers couldn't get who they wanted in.

This time he spent it knowing Real Madrid would be giving him 80 odd million.

Can you imagine if Bale fell down stairs before signing last night, the damage that would have done to Spurs isn't worth thinking about.

beanyrfc
02-09-2013, 13:06
Paid them a fee plus the keeper.

If Bale leaves Tottenham then Southampton gave up 21.25m for quick buck and flop keeper

Needing a quick buck, Lowe agreed to waive the sell on clause, and the extra money to be paid in installments - and instead take a smaller fee and young goalkeeper Tommy Forecast instead

Forecast never played a game for Southampton, if you are wondering, and was released this summer after a loan spell at Gillingham.

:eek::eek:

Probably used the small fee to pay a leccy bill or something, still a sore yin

weemano
02-09-2013, 13:07
In the 13 years Levy has been at Spurs they have spent 500m on players and sold 377m

Aresenal in the same period have spent 274m and sold 294m, finished above Spurs in every one of those seaons, and built a new stadium..

I know which I'd prefer

Pichichi
02-09-2013, 13:12

Modric sold at the last minute likewise Berbatov, meant the managers couldn't get who they wanted in.

Can you imagine if Bale fell down stairs before signing last night, the damage that would have done to Spurs isn't worth thinking about.

Exactly. You really want your business done before pre-season starts, not a month into the season. Levy gets good deals for his players, but if the team on the park is chasing its tail all season because of the disarray at the end of August ever year, then it comes at a cost.

Paddington Bear
02-09-2013, 13:13
Pity they are shit

Is that a technical term ?

Paddington Bear
02-09-2013, 13:15
..........and yet they still can't beat the worst Arsenal team for 20+ years

Its one game ... the hate on here for Spurs is obvious

Jezza
02-09-2013, 13:18
This is the man who knocked back 40m from Chelsea for Modric then sold him for 20 odd million. Brilliant!!!

Charlie__Adam
02-09-2013, 13:23
Its one game ... the hate on here for Spurs is obvious

More historical fact than hate, for the record I dislike both teams. :D

Popbear
02-09-2013, 13:26
In the 13 years Levy has been at Spurs they have spent 500m on players and sold 377m

Aresenal in the same period have spent 274m and sold 294m, finished above Spurs in every one of those seaons, and built a new stadium..

I know which I'd prefer

Now that is a post.

Levy love in ended right there.
Mon the arsenal:)

sirdrinksalot
02-09-2013, 13:26
The bottom line is he binned a manager who took them into the Champions League and performed well, and he replaced him with one who failed last season to take them in and has already suffered a huge psychological blow by losing to a very poor Arsenal side this season.

Toby77
02-09-2013, 13:27
Aye he's brilliant.

100million spent and still behind Arsenal.

Surely their net spend is pretty neglible when the Bale money is accounted for?

Sir Duncan Ferguson
02-09-2013, 13:30

They had signed Pavlyuchenko to replace Berbatov days beforehand.

Leo_Ger
02-09-2013, 13:48
I don't deny that Tottenham are pretty well run but let's apply the hyper critical view that gets applied to Arsenal regularly.

What have they won under Levy's stewardship? A solitary Carling Cup half a decade ago and made the CL once. They also continually get put out in the Europa by teams with less resources.

The Bridge
02-09-2013, 13:51
2nd September and Spurs are written off........:D

As for his time with us, as I recall, Levy had questioned the finances at Rangers and when Lewis challenged Murray then Levy was removed from the inner sanctum. Lewis then sold his shares to cut his losses. Murray shafted him. Had Levy's concerns been looked at closer who knows where we might be right now...

Levy is a smart guy and he has clearly learned year on year how to trade and this year he has played a blinder in the transfer market.

Yesterday, an established but not great Arsenal team beat (narrowly and not deservingly) an almost new Spurs team. Replay that game in 5 or 6 weeks and the outcome may well be significantly different unless Arsenal do something dramatic. An Arsenal diehard at my office has more or less admitted that it was a great win because he "expects to get thumped" at WHL later in the season.

bit-a-blue
02-09-2013, 13:58
Remember when he was on the Rangers board , without checking up sure he was vice chairman .

Pichichi
02-09-2013, 14:21
Yesterday, an established but not great Arsenal team beat (narrowly and not deservingly) an almost new Spurs team. Replay that game in 5 or 6 weeks and the outcome may well be significantly different unless Arsenal do something dramatic. An Arsenal diehard at my office has more or less admitted that it was a great win because he "expects to get thumped" at WHL later in the season.

Spurs have invested well but, from what I've seen, Arsenal were pretty comfortable yesterday and looked more likely to add a second than concede an equaliser.

omegaman
02-09-2013, 14:53
Remember when he was on the Rangers board , without checking up sure he was vice chairman .

He was just a director as far as I recall, added to the board as part of the ENIC deal that 'gifted' Murray 40m.

And as a member of the board was instrumental in effectively sacking Smith following the double whammy Euro disasters at the start of the '97/98 season.

Scottb1872
02-09-2013, 15:09

I know which I'd prefer

Boom! That is one hell of a stat!

suramericaranger
02-09-2013, 15:12

I know which I'd prefer

You have to remember Spurs had Redknapp as manager...

The_Gub
02-09-2013, 15:13
Yup, tell that to the Spurs fan sludgin n trudgin out The Emirates yesterday.

I don't know why I'm on this thread. But here goes.

Arsenal? - Don't have a love or hate either way. The Bill Struth/Herbert Chapman link has me in a positive mode.

Spurs. - Not the same traditional bond. But as a child of the 60s, I still think of Jimmy Greaves. He is up there with Baxter and Best and sod WC medals. Greavsie was/is my type of footballer. Someone you clasp to your mind and bosom.

I neither dislike, or favour either clubs. I probably admire both.

However, I have to say in the Wenger era there is no NL derby to speak of. He has, in less than two decades made a mockery of any sort of rivalry.

AlanRFC
02-09-2013, 16:24
I would love Spurs to do well because of AVB.

BermondseyBear
02-09-2013, 16:26

he is no Charles green ffs:)

Gio Van Bronckhorst
02-09-2013, 16:26
Arsenal in Levy time have won 2 titles, 3 fa cups, built a new stadium, spent less on players, qualified for the Champions League every year and never once finished behind Tottenham.

Yet Arsenal aren't being run properly and Spurs are a shining example.

Aye, no bother :roll:

GingerFurball
02-09-2013, 16:31

Lloris was the difference between 1-0 and Spurs getting a real hiding.

And yes, the result will be significantly different in 5-6 weeks when Arsenal's injured players make their way back.

omegaman
02-09-2013, 16:36
Arsenal in Levy time have won 2 titles, 3 fa cups, built a new stadium, spent less on players, qualified for the Champions League every year and never once finished behind Tottenham.

The OP was about Levy running a tight ship at White Hart Lane, not whether he was doing it better than Arsenal.

Spurs were perennial also-rans until recently. Now they're being talked about as genuine title contenders.

He must be doing something right.

RinosPaws
02-09-2013, 18:22

Do you struggle with reading per chance?

Gio Van Bronckhorst
02-09-2013, 18:27
Do you struggle with reading per chance?

I'm referring to the general attitude that Levy is a great Chairman whilst the general attitude to Gazidis & the previous board at Arsenal is negative despite the fact that Levy achievements at WHL are minuscule compared to what they have done.

He has overseen an era of massive investment and all he has to show for it is 1 season of champions league football.

It's only a success story if you compare it to Peter Risdale Leeds.

I'll return to struggling with my reading.

GioLoyal
02-09-2013, 18:37

I know which I'd prefer

There's yer dinner.

GioLoyal
02-09-2013, 18:39
2nd september and spurs are written off........:d

as for his time with us, as i recall, levy had questioned the finances at rangers and when lewis challenged murray then levy was removed from the inner sanctum. Lewis then sold his shares to cut his losses. Murray shafted him. Had levy's concerns been looked at closer who knows where we might be right now...

Levy is a smart guy and he has clearly learned year on year how to trade and this year he has played a blinder in the transfer market.

Yesterday, an established but not great arsenal team beat (narrowly and not deservingly) an almost new spurs team. Replay that game in 5 or 6 weeks and the outcome may well be significantly different unless arsenal do something dramatic. An arsenal diehard at my office has more or less admitted that it was a great win because he "expects to get thumped" at whl later in the season.

:d:d:d

bigkahunarab
02-09-2013, 18:41
Better or worse than Arsenal isn't the point, this is a stunning business window for Spurs whereas Wenger is paying over the odds for Kermit Ozil.

GioLoyal
02-09-2013, 18:43
better or worse than arsenal isn't the point, this is a stunning business window for spurs whereas wenger is paying over the odds for kermit ozil.

:d

53easy
02-09-2013, 18:47
Better or worse than Arsenal isn't the point, this is a stunning business window for Spurs whereas Wenger is paying over the odds for Kermit Ozil.

Arsenal have signed a genuine world class player.

Shit couple of days for Spurs fans.

jamieging
02-09-2013, 19:28

I know which I'd prefer

End of thread :)

RinosPaws
02-09-2013, 19:33
I'm referring to the general attitude that Levy is a great Chairman whilst the general attitude to Gazidis & the previous board at Arsenal is negative despite the fact that Levy achievements at WHL are minuscule compared to what they have done.

He has overseen an era of massive investment and all he has to show for it is 1 season of champions league football.

It's only a success story if you compare it to Peter Risdale Leeds.

I'll return to struggling with my reading.

Good Lad ;)

Iv never compared to him to any Arsenal's counterparts.

You also have to realise the base that he started with against arsenal if we are going down that road.....When he started as Chairman arsenal had a squad of world class players and a manager who was in the middle of building a legacy.

He came into a shambolic Tottenham set up and was basically 6/7 years behind them

My comments were in regards to him being on the board at Rangers and jettisoned from Murray......Just how different would it have been if Levy and co stayed and Murray was the one jettisoned.

mpayton15277
02-09-2013, 19:38
Wasn't he rumoured to be part of one of the consortiums linked to us?

Elvis
02-09-2013, 19:39

He does that and gets plaudits down south in the media for being shrewd mover, the deal also benefitting Saints at the time. We re-nogotiate the Wallace fee with Hearts and we're opportunistic thieves, crooks and have no sporting integrity. A funny old world eh?

Gerdownthere
02-09-2013, 20:12
He does that and gets plaudits down south in the media for being shrewd mover, the deal also benefitting Saints at the time. We re-nogotiate the Wallace fee with Hearts and we're opportunistic thieves, crooks and have no sporting integrity. A funny old world eh?

we are also sneerng at Lowe of southampton who, if memory serves, was the only honourable cant in england who offered any kind of compo for one of our rats

imager
02-09-2013, 20:29
The highest prices in the EPL, lost the Olympic Stadium to West Ham, can't beat the worst Arsenal team for decades, aye doing a great job.

TommyV
02-09-2013, 20:38

Chased by Murray because he was making noises regarding Murrays ouright theft at the club via has various sticky fingered companies.

womble 3
02-09-2013, 20:45
The highest prices in the EPL, lost the Olympic Stadium to West Ham, can't beat the worst Arsenal team for decades, aye doing a great job.

For decades get a grip:o

Gio Van Bronckhorst
02-09-2013, 21:25
For decades get a grip:o

Champions in the 70's.
Champions in the 80's.
Champions in the 90s.
Champions in the 2000s.

They are a kick in the arse of a decade without a trophy, he might have a point :ninja:

Gio Van Bronckhorst
02-09-2013, 21:29
Good Lad ;)

Iv never compared to him to any Arsenal's counterparts.

You also have to realise the base that he started with against arsenal if we are going down that road.....When he started as Chairman arsenal had a squad of world class players and a manager who was in the middle of building a legacy.

He came into a shambolic Tottenham set up and was basically 6/7 years behind them

My comments were in regards to him being on the board at Rangers and jettisoned from Murray......Just how different would it have been if Levy and co stayed and Murray was the one jettisoned.

No one could argue Spurs have improved but for the cash they have spent is it a great achievement?

They were spending a fortune in the early 2000s and nearly got relegated in 2004.

Their biggest rivals whilst having to downsize & pay off the stadium have so far stayed in front of them albeit maybe a bit luckily at times.

Did Levy not force Smiths sacking in 97/98?

GingerFurball
02-09-2013, 21:29

Yeah I wish Arsenal had spunked 30m on Lamela instead.

tauntonbear
02-09-2013, 21:40
Taken from the book "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower Pp 270-271

'Levy blamed Murray for ignoring their agreement to limit borrowings and plunge the club into debts of 100m. "You're running Rangers as a huge loss-making entity" said Levy aghast at how a beloved Chairman could ruin a club by ignoring any financial controls, an accusation that Murray vigorously disputed"

superrangers
02-09-2013, 21:57

I know which I'd prefer

Good post. I don't get how Spurs have been able to run some of the squads they have over the last 5 or 6 years either, with virtually no champions league money.

for me something doesn't add up.

Sebo23
02-09-2013, 23:56
One wee question, can anyone remind me how this tie in deal with Real Madrid that Levy negotiated as part of the Modric transfer has been working so far for Spurs?

All I've observed is Spurs selling their 2 best players to Real Madrid and Madrid selling a great player to Spurs rivals Arsenal.

Seems a shrewd bit of negotiating Levy did there! :D

The_Glorious_12th
03-09-2013, 01:25

I know which I'd prefer

Nothing else need be said.