PDA

View Full Version : Jock Wallace, died July 24th 1996

dh1963
24-07-2013, 20:08
I saw this on Sam's "on this day" thread.

Apologies if there has been another thread today on this anniversary, but I didn't see one.

Quite simply I want to pay tribute to Jock Wallace, a man who absolutely understood the traditions of Bill Struth and whose every action was about the club being more important than any individual.

Jock Wallace wasn't just a great manager, 2 trebles and the coach of our only European winning team tell us that. He wasn't just a great man, who served Queen and country.

He was a great Ranger.

I wish he was still with us.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9up7on.jpg

finlay bear
24-07-2013, 20:11
Giant of a man in every sense, still my all time favourite rangers manager, rip mr Wallace.

Dumbarton Ger
24-07-2013, 20:11
Brilliant post. The term legend gets banded about so often these days for mediocre players/managers. But Jock Wallace is a LEGEND :)

DylanGer
24-07-2013, 20:13
Wallace was old school but carried himself with dignity-fought our corner but didn't make excuses when it went wrong.

Stoic and full of integrity.

psychobillyboy
24-07-2013, 20:16
Gone but not forgotten. Loved the big man to bits. RIP Jock Wallace - Rangers Legend.

adamski
24-07-2013, 20:19
A mere 60 when that awful condition led to his untimely passing. Bizarrely enough, I remember awakening to the news on Clyde and they showed appropriate respect, we lost a lot of the best Rangers men in the early-mid 90s

samsung1872
24-07-2013, 20:19
http://i41.tinypic.com/90r7zo.jpg

Deserves a thread of its own. RIP Jock - a true Ranger.

oldblueeyes
24-07-2013, 20:27
Giant of a man , now that was a man worthy of the title of Rangers Legend.

bluewonder
24-07-2013, 20:31
Met him in the wee Rangers club about twenty years ago, absolute gentleman. My favorite story about Jock was his time at Leicester City and the players had heard about gullane sands for pre-season training in his time with us. The players thought he was not going to bother about taking them to the coast as it was a bit of journey, so instead he put them on a bus and it stopped in the middle of an industrial estate.
The big man had arranged with a local firm to build him a couple of large hills made out of imported sand and promptly got them off the bus and running up and down till they could run no more.>:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWcG8bXvN4

alex/a
24-07-2013, 20:49
Do you think it might have been big Jock roaring down on them at training this week.There was never a fitter team anywhere than his boys.

erskineayready
24-07-2013, 20:50
my very first day out at hampdump watching the mighty Glasgow rangers versus the filth and super ally scoring a hat trick ... and ..

" there`s only one jock Wallace " from the terraces what a day ...

thank you Big Jock you`ll never be forgotton ..

hope the link to the clip works ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER6p8mPuVU

the upsetter
24-07-2013, 20:52
Giant of a man , now that was a man worthy of the title of Rangers Legend.

Say no more.

StuMac1972
24-07-2013, 20:52
Colossal. Watching him as a kid scared me, imagine how the players felt :D

Sir Duncan Ferguson
24-07-2013, 20:55
And the next day Queersie shat on his memory by doing a hatchet job on him in the papers.

Was too young to appreciate Big Jock but I do remember the standing ovation he got before the Sheep game in December 1993

IndonesiaBlue
24-07-2013, 20:57
A true hero.

112 lost a great man that day too.

cw3038
24-07-2013, 21:02
Colossal. Watching him as a kid scared me, imagine how the players felt :D

Didn't take any shit the big man.

Captain Jock
24-07-2013, 21:07
A true Rangers man in every sense of the word.
I remember just after he was banned by Souness from turning up to give the players a pep talk, he was in front of me in the queue to pay his way into the Main Stand.
I said to him that I was disgusted that he should have to pay to get in to see The Rangers.
He told me that he didn't have to pay to get in but he knew when he wasn't wanted and he was quite happy to pay to get in to see The Gers and told me "don't worry about it son"!
The man was quite simply a Rangers Legend and that's not an accolade I bandy about willy nilly!

blue4life
24-07-2013, 21:08
http://i41.tinypic.com/90r7zo.jpg

Deserves a thread of its own. RIP Jock - a true Ranger.

That would make a belter of a banner

Captain Jock
24-07-2013, 21:11
And the next day Queersie shat on his memory by doing a hatchet job on him in the papers.

Was too young to appreciate Big Jock but I do remember the standing ovation he got before the Sheep game in December 1993

That has to go down as one of the most disgusting pieces of sporting journalism of all time.
I actually used to quite admire Queersies sports commentary up until that point!

54ncounting
24-07-2013, 21:12
A great man, I had the honour of playing for the Gers u17 in France in an international tournament. The big man was there with Mr Thornton, john haggart and stan Anderson. The big man had us running about with bayonets (imaginary ) before the semi final against Ipswich to get the battle fever boiling. Led onto the park by john haggart singing follow follow. Big Jock was a giant of a man and had total respect from all. Loved the big man, he was the manager of the first Rangers team that I saw and my first treble.

truebluerfc
He died on my 33rd birthday, I didn't find out until the 26th. Will always be one of the real Rangers legends.

R.I.P big man

dougieblue
I was in my twenties when big Jock won two trebles the team had a real togetherness and work ethic that was really special.

For me he was a real Rangers legend.

blue4life
[QUOTE=erskineayready;20109560]my very first day out at hampdump watching the mighty Glasgow rangers versus the filth and super ally scoring a hat trick ... and ..

" there`s only one jock Wallace " from the terraces what a day ...

thank you Big Jock you`ll never be forgotton ..

QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_PNNxmX6I

RIP to The Big Man

Forzabear
24-07-2013, 21:14
Met Jock Wallace a couple of times.Once at Dunblane Hydro before a cup tie, the other at 'The Rangers Story' at the Kings where he signed my program Jock Wallace 0007. A true gent and Rangers legend he lived and breathed football. Gone but never forgotten.

Captain Jock
24-07-2013, 21:16
A great man, I had the honour of playing for the Gers u17 in France in an international tournament. The big man was there with Mr Thornton, john haggart and stan Anderson. The big man had us running about with bayonets (imaginary ) before the semi final against Ipswich to get the battle fever boiling. Led onto the park by john haggart singing follow follow. Big Jock was a giant of a man and had total respect from all. Loved the big man, he was the manager of the first Rangers team that I saw and my first treble.

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat reading that.
That just epitomises the man!

54ncounting
24-07-2013, 21:21
I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat reading that.
That just epitomises the man!

A certain player who became a cult figure due to a certain goal against Brugge moved his big jocks bed when the big jock and his staff nipped out for a refreshment. Big jock returned several hours later to a crash that woke us up along with a few swear words aimed at the culprit. :)

ColinColinColinStein
24-07-2013, 21:25
A true hero of mine and a man worthy of the word 'legend'. Will never be forgotten.

EK Billy Boy
24-07-2013, 21:28

What did he say about him?

RIP Jock

MMCGILVRAY
24-07-2013, 21:33
RIP Big Man

sandbear
24-07-2013, 21:40
My favorite Rangers boss really sad when he left first time and was at Aberdeen for his first game back.

will-s
24-07-2013, 21:41
had the pleasure of meeting jock before the title decider against the sheep at ibrox told him he should be in the dressing room firing up the team he growled fix bayonets retaliate first into the bastards I knew the title was ours , when he spoke Ii was proud he was one of us 100% bear thanks for the trebles and memories wish you were here today LEGEND .

rabears
24-07-2013, 22:02
Met him a few times,always Mr Wallace as that seemed to be the right thing to say to him.

Can see him coming on at Ibrox with the fists closed and the big grin on his face.

Very much missed,a true one of a kind.

R.I.P

KingFish
24-07-2013, 22:05
RIP to the big man

David_0320
24-07-2013, 22:15
It is an immutable law of pub talk that if you introduce the topic of Brian Clough, you will hear at least one of the following cliches within 60 seconds: He was the best manager England never had, he was the best manager of all time, and he could not have thrived in the modern game. . What you are less likely to hear is an exploration of the uncomfortable paradox, that Clough was exceptional then but would be unsuitable now, and to what extent that reflects poorly on modern football.

Fans regularly lament the extinction of the hard man, yet just as striking is the disappearance of the hard manager. If Clough's instinctive idiosyncrasy was his major strength, then his regular demonstrations of the toughest love were also integral to his unparalleled success. He would regularly get his players to run through nettles, and once slugged Roy Keane to the floor as punishment for playing a backpass.

Clough's mentor was Harry Storer, a man who proudly boasted: "I have a team of bastards, and I am the biggest bastard of them all." This was an era when masculinity was an extreme sport, when household items like tea cups, plates and hairdryers found an alternative use or an alternative meaning. It was not just a British trait. The legendary Internazionale coach Helenio Herrera once ordered two players to walk six miles back to the team base because they were 20 seconds late for the coach.

Nobody encapsulated that school of management better than the late Jock Wallace, one of Rangers' greatest managers. Wallace was a chillingly hard man with a granite face, an even stronger will, and a voice that rarely softened from its default growl. His army background shaped so much of his management. Wallace was stationed in Northern Ireland and the Malay peninsula in the 1950s, engaged in jungle warfare and surviving by eating what he called "monkey steaks".

Wallace's militarism was such that his dressing room might have been a scene from the film Full Metal Jacket. Gary Lineker recalls a reserve game at Leicester when, at half time, Wallace threw him against a wall. Leicester were 2-0 up. Lineker had scored them both.

His most famous act at Leicester was to introduce a gloriously sadistic form of pre-season training. During his time at Rangers, while having a picnic with his wife, Wallace stumbled across the sand dunes of Gullane, jauntily entitled "Murder Hill". He made his players run up and down the hill until they could run no more – and then he made them do it again.

When he got to Leicester, Wallace scouted a similar incline. There is a wonderful clip of the Leicester players panting their way through a session with Wallace barking "Hands off that bloody sand!" every two seconds. Pre-season training should have been called Wallace and Vomit: players were frequently sick as their bodies surrendered.

Some will comfortably dismiss Wallace as an antiquated barbarian, yet it is difficult to reconcile that with the fact most of his players adored him. Ted McMinn, who Wallace took to Sevilla when he managed them in the 1980s, described him as "everything to me, a dad really". Wallace could inspire most players to run to the ends of the earth – or, worse still, up Murder Hill. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Jock Wallace," said Manolo Jiménez, who played under Wallace at Sevilla and later managed them. "He was a great, great manager who instilled in me my belief and fighting spirit."

He also instilled a winning mentality. At Rangers, Wallace ended Celtic's run of nine consecutive titles, and then won two trebles in three seasons. In a TV interview before the 1984 League Cup final against Celtic, Wallace announced: "I fancy us very strongly. We've got the battle fever on today." They won 3-2 and the phrase stuck, a mantra for Rangers fans.

Wallace's focus on fitness made him something of a visionary, even if his methodology was emphatically of its time. He was the Arsène Wenger of his day, only armed with sand rather than pasta.

John Greig, perhaps Rangers' greatest ever player, says Wallace's regime was the reason he was able to play until he was 35. Others felt the value of the training was as much psychological as physical. Wallace may have made some of his players vomit, but then there could be no battle fever without sickness.

He also knew that hardship begot hardness. Wallace was obsessed with character-building, having built a deceptively complex character of his own. In many respects, Wallace was a gentle beast. On the day Rangers won their first title for 11 years, he sent on a palpably unfit Greig for the last two minutes so that he could drink in the moment and collect the trophy. Wallace also forged a friendship with Johan Cruyff and nearly persuaded him to join Leicester in 1981.

"They don't come with giant character and personality like 'Big Man' Jock Wallace any more," wrote Sir Alex Ferguson – and that was in 1994, before the game really started to change. Wallace would have no chance with the whirligig of snidery that is modern football, particularly with player power rampant. But he is a perfect reminder of an age when football well and truly had the battle fever on.

GirvanLighthouse
24-07-2013, 22:54
Character indeed

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5093/3jzc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/3jzc.jpg/)

dublinbluenose
24-07-2013, 23:22
The day he came out at the sheep pen about half-two and the beach end that housed the bears erupted will live with me till the day I die.
When we beat the mank mob to win the league cup a few months later it was huge for us.
he turned two wet behind the ears strikers into men and set them on the path to become goal scoring machines,super ally and Gary lineker.

govan86
25-07-2013, 00:22
RIP Jock. A true Ranger in every sense of the word. Read Alan Ball's book and the respect he had for Jock really comes across to the reader.

govan86
25-07-2013, 00:27
Following on from my earlier post a wee story about when Jock and Alan Ball were at Colchester - The two came together when Colchester were bottom of the old fourth division by eleven points with with eleven matches remaining. Ball has some wonderful anecdotes to share with the reader. He talks about their match with Exeter and how he orders his captain to stand up in the middle of the dressing room and tells him to sing "No Surrender", the captain who is puzzled and embarrased quietly murmurs "No Surrender", Jock exploded, "louder" and then gets the rest of the team to join in a huddle and belt out that famous song. Ball tells how he had to leave the dressing room as he was in stitches and went into another room and saw what transpired next through a cubbyhole "Louder" big Jock rasped again to the team.He then gave his captain a full blow in the stomach ,elbowed somebody else, gave another a crack and then the buzzer went for the team to get out on the pitch. They were so wound up that they thrashed Exeter 4-0 and Ball cried laughing.

wacaktb
25-07-2013, 00:40
rip Mr Wallace

AlbyD
25-07-2013, 01:45
When will we see your likes again , RIP

lowerhuttloyal
25-07-2013, 01:48
Loved the big man.

britain
25-07-2013, 10:21
'My' first ever Rangers manager when I started going in 1974/75 .

A Rangers Giant.