PDA

View Full Version : Rangers 3 Celtc 0 1985

aldo30
26-03-2013, 12:46
Looking through youtube and found this clip. First time i have seen this. Some meaty challenges in there and magic atmosphere......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJ3m_R8UAo

craigie
26-03-2013, 12:51
Game not shown due to TV strike if I recall. Smuggling a camcorder in there couldn't have been easy!

My first ever game against Them.

25/10

8-1
26-03-2013, 13:08
Singing in the Govan...it'll never catch on!

Great vid though OP, thanks. My 1st Septic game was the 4-4 game from pretty much the same position this is taken from. Great days.

26-03-2013, 13:12
I think it was the poster Beardsen Bear that filmed this iirc?

ICA_86
26-03-2013, 13:13
A year before my birth, but I'll never see those days come back due to the overly-offended nature of Scottish football fans.

GypsumFantastic
26-03-2013, 13:17
"was happy in the end to lose 3-0 as it should have been about 7-0" according to a bheast in my Uni class who was at that game (and that was in 1994 he told me that).

Shankill_Loyalist
26-03-2013, 13:30
****ing brilliant

agcooper
26-03-2013, 13:31
Absolutely tremendous footage that is.

What an atmosphere.

kingstein
26-03-2013, 14:01
They had not long signed McGhee from hamburg ? and we're in far better form than us but we destroyed them that day
Derek ferguson and durrant were immense that day and 3-0 flattered them

Chubster
26-03-2013, 14:24
Different times...solid tackles and players getting back to their feet and getting on with the game.

Newlands_loyal
26-03-2013, 14:25
That sums us up during that period, we were capable on occasion of performances such as this, but we lost 4 up at Tannadice the following week if mememory serves me. A club that needed direction, enter David Holmes and the great moustachioed one.

ao
26-03-2013, 14:27
I remember it as 3 going on 7 or 8. We never killed them off till the last 10 minutes, but really hammered them. It should have been much more, and they ended up winning the league that year by 3 goals I think.

Great footage :)

1968 deek
26-03-2013, 14:33
From 13 mins in the atmosphere is magic,I was at that game sure it was bonfire night.brilliant video clip

so cal bear
26-03-2013, 14:39
was in the very front row corner seat of govan front at broomloan end that day, the stench from the unwashed hoards in the broomloan was surpassed by the joy of getting it right up them as we cruised to a 3-0 win.

imagine my surprise when the paisley tims handed the cants a 5-0 win on the final day of that season so they could win the title at the floundering jambos expense.

agcooper
26-03-2013, 15:03
That sums us up during that period, we were capable on occasion of performances such as this, but we lost 4 up at Tannadice the following week if mememory serves me. A club that needed direction, enter David Holmes and the great moustachioed one.

a house built on sand.

Souness Roberts Butcher and Woods soon sorted it.

AnglianBear
26-03-2013, 15:03
Some of Durrants passing. Just wow.

Also great to see Cooper tearing the tims a new one as always!

South_Ayrshire_Loyal
26-03-2013, 15:14
I was in the East Enclosure, brilliant day, still one of my favourite games ever.

dkl18
26-03-2013, 15:52
my 16th birthday,

omegaman
26-03-2013, 16:17
They had not long signed McGhee from hamburg ? and were in far better form than us but we destroyed them that day
Derek ferguson and durrant were immense that day and 3-0 flattered them

Not actually true - they were in the midst of a horrific / hilarious run that also saw them lose at home to Hearts and Dundee United (the latter a 3-0 trouncing) as well as a 4-1 demolition at Pittodrie.

marstonbear
26-03-2013, 16:24
Was in the blue section of the Govan Upper. Bunch of guys near me reappeared after half-time with blackened-up faces. Cue everyone wondering what it was all about. Soon revealed when each Bear held up a card that spelt out "I'd rather be a darkie than a Tim." Plod looked on and smiled

gersmad
26-03-2013, 16:35
Fires you up watching that :):union:

1968 deek
26-03-2013, 16:47
Was in the blue section of the Govan Upper. Bunch of guys near me reappeared after half-time with blackened-up faces. Cue everyone wondering what it was all about. Soon revealed when each Bear held up a card that spelt out "I'd rather be a darkie than a Tim." Plod looked on and smiled

smell shite,if that happened it would be well known.A stupid post that will be pounced on by the filth on here.

so cal bear
26-03-2013, 16:59
Not actually true - they were in the midst of a horrific / hilarious run that also saw them lose at home to Hearts and Dundee United (the latter a 3-0 trouncing) as well as a 4-1 demolition at Pittodrie.

i remember that, how the fook a team that got beat by three clear goals in three consecutive games won the title I'll never know.

marstonbear
26-03-2013, 17:08
smell shite,if that happened it would be well known.A stupid post that will be pounced on by the filth on here.

I can assure you it happened. I saw it with my own eyes.

1968 deek
26-03-2013, 17:16
I can assure you it happened. I saw it with my own eyes.

So there was 20 odd minstrels in the rear of the Govan ,I think that would have made the papers.Was at a game when the had just been pumped with Rapid Vienna and remember cards held up with Rapid Exit ,I think i would remember your one if it happened.

Off out incase a debate about this starts ,not hiding from you:)

marstonbear
26-03-2013, 17:28
So there was 20 odd minstrels in the rear of the Govan ,I think that would have made the papers.Was at a game when the had just been pumped with Rapid Vienna and remember cards held up with Rapid Exit ,I think i would remember your one if it happened.

Off out incase a debate about this starts ,not hiding from you:)

I've no reason to make shite up, it happened.

Given the press box was obviously the other side of the park, they'd only know about it if someone told them. Furthermore, the story would be of little interest without pictures and I doubt many punters had a Kodac Instamatic with them, although someone had a video camera so you never know.

I'll happily scan in my ticket stub to prove I was there if that helps (won't be til Xmas though as it's at my mums)

sweepitup
26-03-2013, 17:29

I know it was a well known wee ditty at the time!:eek: remember a guy I worked with used to sing it all the time in our factory, no one batted an eye lid:confused::D

so cal bear
26-03-2013, 17:32
I know it was a well known wee ditty at the time!:eek: remember a guy I worked with used to sing it all the time in our factory, no one batted an eye lid:confused::D

it was sung by pretty much every bear in the place when the west indian glass collector was doing his rounds in the pub before the spurs friendly in 1986.

very different days

aldo30
26-03-2013, 18:06

It was 1985 not 2013.

These kind of things happened all the time when i started going to games in 1989 so would have no qualms believing the guy. The song was sung for many years when Walters was there and when way after he left and there was no out cry about it.

Changed days sadly.

CambyBlueNoseBear
26-03-2013, 18:11
Game not shown due to TV strike if I recall. Smuggling a camcorder in there couldn't have been easy!

My first ever game against Them.

25/10

My first OFG too. Brilliant!!

crookie_bear
26-03-2013, 18:25
Remember leaving the game, bears were hugging each other in the streets, it was a fantastic win. 4-4 game was the same season if I remember correctly.

mirtin73
26-03-2013, 18:30
Fantastic stuff. Sure does bring back memories. For the younger generation of our fans, this is the reason the filth phoned everybody they could think of to tell them we were singing naughty songs that hurt their feelings. They used to take a doing against us off the park every game...no matter the score. Tremendous performance from that Gers team. Suberb camera work too.

marstonbear
26-03-2013, 18:32
Remember leaving the game, bears were hugging each other in the streets, it was a fantastic win. 4-4 game was the same season if I remember correctly.

Indeed it was.

We also drew 1-1 at Parkheid in the 4th game of the season after 3 straight wins. We were a goal up at HT which was the cue for non-stop singing during the break including a somewhat optimistic chorus of "We're going to win the league". This was the infamous Desmond White banner match

tuc
26-03-2013, 18:33
Superb match cooper was great

Captain Courageous
26-03-2013, 18:36
They took our anthem. I defy anyone to name me another club with another anthem that comes close to anything heard on that video.

Its my opinion that the noise and atmosphere generated by our song at full tilt scared the sh1te right out of a lot of teams.

They took our anthem. And we surrendered not in the face of an angry foe, but at the knees of someone with a pen and a phone.

Still hurts me to this day. Took my son to his first ever game at the start of this season and had been telling him about the terrific noise, and it was. But not like the old times when the stadium joined as one.

And the irony is that we are now at a time when the song carries a bit of meaning, for Scotland truly is up to its knees.

sam_cooke
26-03-2013, 18:53

It certainly did happen ;)

It was from different era....

ForzaRangers
26-03-2013, 18:55
Great footage.

I was just looking through my old programmes last week and noticed I had this one.

Don't know if I was at the game though. Too young at the time to remember.

derek145
26-03-2013, 18:58
One thing very noticeable was the lack of diving and rolling around the ground after every tackle. A man's game for real men.

so cal bear
26-03-2013, 19:01

was at 4-4 game too, EE that day and got soaked, got ma coupon on the telly after the cammy fraser/dave mckinnon goal tho:).

Game also covered on the STV special "into the fire" on when souness arrived.

agcooper
26-03-2013, 19:09
They took our anthem. I defy anyone to name me another club with another anthem that comes close to anything heard on that video.

Its my opinion that the noise and atmosphere generated by our song at full tilt scared the sh1te right out of a lot of teams.

They took our anthem. And we surrendered not in the face of an angry foe, but at the knees of someone with a pen and a phone.

Still hurts me to this day. Took my son to his first ever game at the start of this season and had been telling him about the terrific noise, and it was. But not like the old times when the stadium joined as one.

And the irony is that we are now at a time when the song carries a bit of meaning, for Scotland truly is up to its knees.

Well said.

No surrender - a joke considering what's gone on.

Surrey True Blue
26-03-2013, 19:17
Very selfish of the bear filming that to jump about like a loony at the first goal!! :p:D

coinneach
26-03-2013, 19:44

coinneach
26-03-2013, 19:45

Very well said, those were the days.

Les Briggs Loyal
26-03-2013, 20:18
I was there that day,in the Govan Front,Section Red.....right up beside the Yahoo support.......The Yahoos took a leathering that day....:D

Juan Ghuy
26-03-2013, 20:49
That was tremendous. The atmosphere, the tackles, the east enclosure looked mental :D found myself tutting at miss placed passes watching that and shouting hit it at the first goal :D great viewing.

so cal bear
26-03-2013, 20:53
I was there that day,in the Govan Front,Section Red.....right up beside the Yahoo support.......The Yahoos took a leathering that day....:D

same area as me. what supporters bus did you travel on back then mate?

Les Briggs Loyal
26-03-2013, 20:57
same area as me. what supporters bus did you travel on back then mate?

The Bishopbriggs bus,that left from The Eagle Lodge/The Crow..........:)

Presbyterian
26-03-2013, 21:11
Looking through youtube and found this clip. First time i have seen this. Some meaty challenges in there and magic atmosphere......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lJ3m_R8UAo

Fantastic m8, thanks for sharing. :cool:

Laughed out loud at 6.06 minutes in 'hawl!, ya dirty bastard!! :D

Superb ;)

TN8
26-03-2013, 22:23
Amazing footage, thanks for posting!

Proper tingles up the spine at that atmosphere!

britain
27-03-2013, 07:01
Thats taken from near to where my younger son sits.

britain
27-03-2013, 07:03
Some tackes flying in that would get you sent off today.

These were simply just part of the game back then.

invernesscaleywho
27-03-2013, 08:36
WOW, I really relived that, what a support, what an atmosphere. W A T P.

opersson
27-03-2013, 09:11
Great stuff. I was in the Govan that day. Other than that, I can barely remember a thing about the match.

DerbyBlue
27-03-2013, 10:49
What a great clip, thanks for posting:)

Dumbartonblue
27-03-2013, 13:35

Remember that well!!:D Wonder if the UB should try that and see if plod smile now:mad:

BroxburnBear
27-03-2013, 16:07

As the famous quote goes we looked a decent team on paper unfortunately football is played on grass. I think we lost something like 18 games that season in all competitions which puts low points under Le Guen and McLeish into perspective if you're old enough to remember.