PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Scotland Non Starter.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 19:59
We cannot in all seriousness leave Scotland,much as many of us would like to.

Why then did Charles Green make his statement today?

pennyblack
09-01-2013, 20:01
incorrect. UEFA have said its not IMPOSSIBLE for teams to move to other countries leagues. Precidents previous?

Derry City.

DylanGer
09-01-2013, 20:01
He admits as much himself but his excuse was it would be wrong of him and his team not to exhaust the possibility.

It was not a sensible approach in my opinion.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 20:14
He admits as much himself but his excuse was it would be wrong of him and his team not to exhaust the possibility.

Strikes me that he wanted to have his say despite having nothing to say.

Somebody somewhere at the club should have cautioned him against making the statement.

ally-c
09-01-2013, 20:15
Anything can happen, I wouldn't rule anything out

jamnn25
09-01-2013, 20:17
I think it was more of a warning than anything, he won't be happy that we've been cut out the restructuring talks & he's making it know that if they don't want us & we can find a way we'll leave them to rot.

berkshiretrueblue
09-01-2013, 20:18
In an ideal world Rangers and its support would leave Scotland together with all the Rangers orientated Businessmen and let the country rot until the majority population comes to its senses and put the filth back in their box.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 20:19
incorrect. UEFA have said its not IMPOSSIBLE for teams to move to other countries leagues. Precidents previous?

Derry City.

Exceptional circumstances were cited in that case plus both Associations agreed to the move and the League of Ireland were happy to accomodate them.
Can anyone seriously see the SFA agreeing to our exit and they'd have to before any move could work. Always assuming,of course,that someone somewhere wants us.

Tom Vallance
09-01-2013, 20:19
Can't see it ever happening and it just makes us look a little foolish IMO :(

I would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

douzpwa
09-01-2013, 20:22

I think if you read the statement right you will see that dylanger answered your question!

Arveladzes Shuffle
09-01-2013, 20:23
Anything can happen, I wouldn't rule anything out

In the forseeable there is nowhere to go, it is as simple as that. If anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them.

Agent of the Duke of Kent
09-01-2013, 20:24
He would have been better saying "nowt" until he considered a more sensible reply. all this has done is show these f**kers how much they get under our skin. Cant help feel this may scupper CG's plans for an early sale or attrackting more investment. there is no chance of Rangers moving from Scotland any more than there is any chance of the tims moving. There is no appetite for an Atlantic league and england is a non starter. So i cannot understnad him saying anything

billmcmurdo
09-01-2013, 20:24
Used to agree with the thread title but think otherwise now

pennyblack
09-01-2013, 20:25
Exceptional circumstances were cited in that case plus both Associations agreed to the move and the League of Ireland were happy to accomodate them.
Can anyone seriously see the SFA agreeing to our exit and they'd have to before any move could work. Always assuming,of course,that someone somewhere wants us.

as I say its unlikely but not impossible.

hyramotyre
09-01-2013, 20:27

He said himself we can't leave but he knows fine well what the fans want to hear.

Virgil Hilts
09-01-2013, 20:28
I would have liked to hear CG say something more concrete about opposing these changes myself

comfie
09-01-2013, 20:31
Strikes me that he wanted to have his say despite having nothing to say.

Somebody somewhere at the club should have cautioned him against making the statement.

The problem for Green is he feels he has bought the biggest club in Scotland and as such should get treated with a bit of common curtisy from the SFL who should disclosed the plans first hand before it being publicised.

If I was the owner of the biggest best supported club in Scotland I would also have my say, at least he has drawn a line in the sand, which is more than our old board ever done.
Look where dignified silence has got us.

fishpakora
09-01-2013, 20:36

My sense is he felt he had to say something. The proposed restructuring will have an effect on his business plans and the clubs finances and the club's silence was starting to draw comment from the support.

I think most were hopeful of a rejection of the proposals, but a rejection backed by a strong negotiating stance, not just bluster about leaving for a destination unknown. Personally I had hoped he would live up to his implied threat to withhold TV rights from any new governing body/league structure but this has not been mentioned. The critical question is why?

scooby blue
09-01-2013, 20:39
he can release a statement that only requires 2 words (no not F O ....)

"IBROX ONLY"

the vote is already secured - sporting integrity (what a feking laugh) all we have to do is look after the Gers - the rest of them - c ya ........

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 20:40

Think most of us are with you on that Bill,but the mechanics are not in place to allow it to happen.
Empty rhetoric from CG methinks and has done us no favours in addition to taking the gloss off Traynors excellent statement.
Was Charlie a tiny bit miffed at our positive reaction to JT's piece?

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 20:44
My sense is he felt he had to say something. The proposed restructuring will have an effect on his business plans and the clubs finances and the club's silence was starting to draw comment from the support.

I think most were hopeful of a rejection of the proposals, but a rejection backed by a strong negotiating stance, not just bluster about leaving for a destination unknown. Personally I had hoped he would live up to his implied threat to withhold TV rights from any new governing body/league structure but this has not been mentioned. The critical question is why?

Can we withold TV rights as an associate member?
Does the proposed merger change our membership status?

If we have any clout re TV that is undoubtedly the way to go.

spirit_of_93
09-01-2013, 20:46
It's inevitable we will leave for another set up, most likely an Atlantic league or variation of. However England might change it's stance in light of changes across Europe.

UEFA have already given the green light to a balkan league, set to start in 2015. It also looks like their will be a merged Belgium and Holland league, and a Nordic one.

fishpakora
09-01-2013, 20:53
Can we withold TV rights as an associate member?
Does the proposed merger change our membership status?

If we have any clout re TV that is undoubtedly the way to go.

The actual situation is far from clear.

We do know that Charles Green claims to have written to Longmuir, stating that we would not be held to ransom again (a reference to having to give up TV rights to get a licence to play) when the current deal expired. He has also held TV rights up as a cornerstone of his revenue growth aspirations. What I don't know is what the current deal is or how long it might last, but I think it reasonable to assume that a new TV deal will need to be negotiated following reconstruction. Consequently we should have some clout. Perhaps it is being held in reserve pending negotiations?

Lizzy's 11
09-01-2013, 20:56
Our chance was to apply to a regional league in England this year, instead we went for a year in the SFL3. The end of this season could have been the end of year one of our ten year climb to the Premiership.

Wishful Thinking Loyal

gu_bear
09-01-2013, 20:59

By virtue of him making the statement that we are seeking a way out, whether it is practical or not, it throws a spanner in the works for the new league's negotiations for any tv or sponsorship deals.

Who is going to sign up to a long term contract knowing the biggest team is aggressively trying to get out the league?

MasterC
09-01-2013, 21:02
People always assume England.

What if he meant Northern Ireland.

The league there may well be keen to get a team of Rangers' size. There would certainly be support from the fanbase over there.

Plenty of support already there for the away games, and reasonable travel for those who want to go over. People already come in the opposite direction.

It's out of Scotland as Mr Green wanted, with support from within the league to put pressure on from both sides.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 21:03
[QUOTE=comfie;18902031]The problem for Green is he feels he has bought the biggest club in Scotland and as such should get treated with a bit of common curtisy from the SFL who should disclosed the plans first hand before it being publicised.

If I was the owner of the biggest best supported club in Scotland I would also have my say, at least he has drawn a line in the sand, which is more than our old board ever done.
Look where dignified silence has got

Who's advocating dignified silence? Not me that's for sure.
However talking nonsense just for the sake of it is every bit as bad.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 21:06

The league there may well be keen to get a team of Rangers' size. There would certainly be support from the fanbase over there.

Plenty of support already there for the away games, and reasonable travel for those who want to go over. People already come in the opposite direction.

It's out of Scotland as Mr Green wanted, with support from within the league to put pressure on from both sides.

If there was a prize for the daftest idea posted on this forum this would be a certainty.

macattack2
09-01-2013, 21:06
Surely he wouldn't have made that statement without some sort of groundwork done before hand (hopefully). If nothing comes of this he and Rangers are going to look extremely foolish.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 21:11
Surely he wouldn't have made that statement without some sort of groundwork done before hand (hopefully). If nothing comes of this he and Rangers are going to look extremely foolish.

My point exactly.

Le Petomane
He said himself we can't leave but he knows fine well what the fans want to hear.

Charles pandering to popular opinion....how very dare you?

fishpakora

An interesting negotiating stance MC but surely nothing more than that? It'd throw Green's business aspirations, whatever they might be, into turmoil. Am I missing your point?

g5amo
09-01-2013, 21:22
With the greatest respect to the OP I am heartily sick of the naysayers on this issue.

Leaving Scotland is possible and with specific regard to England its a matter of humble pie (ala league environment) on offer / we're prepared to grind through as a starting point.

I WANT change. Swallowing hard every time I visualise 14/2/12 & that c*nt Whyte will not be too difficult if the promised land lies ahead. There will always be a Rangers & nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

Do it Charles.

DylanGer
09-01-2013, 21:23
If there was a prize for the daftest idea posted on this forum this would be a certainty.

I tend to agree...:D

MasterC
09-01-2013, 21:23
An interesting negotiating stance MC but surely nothing more than that? It'd throw Green's business aspirations, whatever they might be, into turmoil. Am I missing your point?

Daft apparently, see earlier.

My point is just yours I think. As long as leaving Scottish football is a non starter then talking about it is meaningless posturing. However if it can be demonstrated that it is actually possible then the game of poker is back on.

Currently the position is that leaving Scottish football means having no football to play. Not much of a threat for a football team. It invites the other side to say "carry on"

TBH I will accept that it is clutching at straws, but bad cards are better than no cards at all. Or are they, maybe I just like poker too much.

lone_ranger
09-01-2013, 21:24
Why is it batter Charles Green day?

MasterC
09-01-2013, 21:26
I tend to agree...:D

Fair enough.

As I said I am willing to accept that it's a terrible hand to play.

Given that Mr Green is talking about leaving Scottish football what's the alternative.

I honestly don't see any.

DylanGer
09-01-2013, 21:28
With the greatest respect to the OP I am heartily sick of the naysayers on this issue.

Leaving Scotland is possible and with specific regard to England its a matter of humble pie (ala league environment) on offer / we're prepared to grind through as a starting point.

I WANT change. Swallowing hard every time I visualise 14/2/12 & that c*nt Whyte will not be too difficult if the promised land lies ahead. There will always be a Rangers & nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

Do it Charles.

I think the pain and horror of what we've been through seems to have created a delusional state amongst some of our support as in what might happen....the unrealistic we are massive, we are going to be fine, we can manage fine does not equate to the reality of where we are stuck.

Face facts the real appeal would be having the Old Firm...if there was any appeal at all.

This will not happen in any form that does not include them or in a wider sense that does not isolate us in a lower European format.

European football or English football does not need us let alone want us and the same is true for Celtic...neither OF club is going to create a future that excludes the other in terms of potential moves.

DylanGer
09-01-2013, 21:29
Fair enough.

As I said I am willing to accept that it's a terrible hand to play.

Given that Mr Green is talking about leaving Scottish football what's the alternative.

I honestly don't see any.

He admits we don't have one...but he is going to work on it.:roll:

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 21:29
Daft apparently, see earlier.

My point is just yours I think. As long as leaving Scottish football is a non starter then talking about it is meaningless posturing. However if it can be demonstrated that it is actually possible then the game of poker is back on.

Currently the position is that leaving Scottish football means having no football to play. Not much of a threat for a football team. It invites the other side to say "carry on"

TBH I will accept that it is clutching at straws, but bad cards are better than no cards at all. Or are they, maybe I just like poker too much.

With respect bud,can't help but feel there are a few on here who'd like to play you at poker.

cocyboy
09-01-2013, 21:33
there is talk of sfa not sanctioning move. Perhaps another oppertunity for fan consultation.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 21:42
there is talk of sfa not sanctioning move. Perhaps another oppertunity for fan consultation.

Why would the SFA sanction our move out of Scotland?

Lamh Dearg
09-01-2013, 21:45

Derry City.

Same point I was going to mention plus Russian and Ukranian leagues being allowed to combine.
Berwick, Swansea and Cardiff.

naemair
09-01-2013, 21:47
Surely Green is only stating the obvious - Rangers need to explore all the possibilities here. We are agreed that the set up being railroaded through is rubbish. He would not be doing his job if he did not consider alternatives to this half baked scheme. Do we really think the Tims are not considering the possibility of getting out of Scotland too?

niftyfifty
09-01-2013, 21:48

I'd rather he said nothing based on today's comments.

Totally understand his anger at being excluded from talks but would rather have heard Rangers preferred options on reconstruction.

Save the talk until something concrete is in the pipeline.

corsican malcolm
09-01-2013, 21:48
At the end of last season we faced all sorts of goalpost moving and blackmailing tactics employed by the SFA (being forced to sign up to making a pittance of money from a TV deal which we supply most of the viewers for etc.), as they knew we had to accept them to obtain our registration.

Now if this reconstruction is forced through by the summer, we have been playing all season to obtain promotion only to have it effectively denied to us 'for the good of Scottish football'.

Might these extreme circumstances mean that the SFA have handed us a legitimate excuse to apply to the lower reaches of the English League ?

OK it's wishful thinking, but who knows ?

Sam_English
09-01-2013, 21:51
Stupid comment by CG if he has no plan in place should we leave Scottish football.

MasterC
09-01-2013, 21:55
With respect bud,can't help but feel there are a few on here who'd like to play you at poker.

I never said I was any good at it, just that I liked it. :o

Seriously though, accepted, it was a ridiculous suggestion as a hand to bluff with.

buster
09-01-2013, 22:06
Green in playing to the gallery shocker !
Only this time his lack of substance is more evident.

If you open your eyes he has been fairly consistent in this, surfing a wave so to speak.

If we got a move or there looked to be tangible realistic hope for a move outwith Scotland in the forseeable then the share price would go most probably go up.

My money is on us still playing in Scotland when CG leaves the building/sells his shares.

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 22:18
I never said I was any good at it, just that I liked it. :o

Seriously though, accepted, it was a ridiculous suggestion as a hand to bluff with.

No worries mate I'm no Cincinnati Kid myself!!

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 22:21
Green in playing to the gallery shocker !
Only this time his lack of substance is more evident.

If you open your eyes he has been fairly consistent in this, surfing a wave so to speak.

If we got a move or there looked to be tangible realistic hope for a move outwith Scotland in the forseeable it then the share price would go most probably go up.

But my money is on us still playing in Scotland when CG leaves the building/sells his shares.

I can see friction between Mr Green and Mr Traynor in the not too distant future.

Top_Cat
09-01-2013, 22:23
Were going nowhere, that's a fact

rockgirl
09-01-2013, 22:25
Our chance was to apply to a regional league in England this year, instead we went for a year in the SFL3. The end of this season could have been the end of year one of our ten year climb to the Premiership.

Wishful Thinking Loyal

That's what I said, this year would've been the perfect opportunity for Charles Green to enquire about getting into the English set up before he agreed to the terms of the SFA and tied us to this dead horse of a league.

billy19611112
09-01-2013, 22:39
People assume that Green made this statement about leaving without thinking what he was saying . This developed yesterday Green has had 24 hours to think of his statements content . Green is not stupid , I would be willing to bet he had a meeting with a certain James Traynor this morning going over his reply . Traynor would not have let him come out with this unless for a reason . He implied he only knew what was happening through reading the papers , does anyone seriously believe that , he told us a lie . He probably knew every word that got said in these meetings before it was said . Green may be one thing , but he's not stupid . Think lots still to play for

catchthebears58
09-01-2013, 22:46

A penny for your thoughts :D

buster
09-01-2013, 22:47
A penny for your thoughts :D

A paywall wouldnīt work for Billīs blog. :D

Job No.86/20
09-01-2013, 23:14

maybe not, but it says a lot more for the man than the previous one in his position,

it's better he said something,

murray can phuckin rot!!!!:mad::mad:

The Big Cheese
09-01-2013, 23:23
maybe not, but it says a lot more for the man than the previous one in his position,

it's better he said something,

murray can phuckin rot!!!!:mad::mad:

Is it really though.
As my old Gran used to say " if you've got nothing sensible to say,say nothing".
In this instance Mr Green should've taken heed of that advice.
The club's position regarding the reconstruction was set out most eloquently on Tuesday by Jim Traynor. There was no need for Charlie to say anything else.
Seems to me his inflated ego got the better of him and all he's actually done is to divert attention away from Traynor's excellent article.

comfie
09-01-2013, 23:38
The one thing that sticks about Greens statement is, why he chose to use those words. He must have known that it doesn't matter what context they are said, its the fact they were spoken at all.
He could have chosen to say the other parts of the interview and left the "we must start looking at alternatives" part out.

He could have focused on the injustice of the changing the league set up so quickly, and also add that in doing this they are breaking there own articles of association, where the teams need to give 2 years notice of leaving the existing league.

I just think there is something in this moving leagues statement. I'm more than likely to be wrong but, could he have told the institutional investors his intentions and this is why he's managed to encourage Ģ22m in investment. When alls said and done this is long term institutional investors, people who make money from making money that has invested in us.
Is this why he needed the investment, in cash before Christmas?

spotlight
10-01-2013, 02:20
Can't see it ever happening and it just makes us look a little foolish IMO :(

I would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

This. Don't know why he said it.

miraculous
10-01-2013, 02:22

exactly. this seems to be influencing a lot of what he's saying just now

Aunty Christ
10-01-2013, 02:31

Wishful Thinking Loyal

For once I agree with you.

Aunty Christ
10-01-2013, 02:45
Murray then Whyte and now Green. They have different approaches and different styles but one thing they all have in common. Their egos are bigger than their brains.

turrabear
10-01-2013, 03:24
green has done us no favours with his statement . might have been a better idea if he had held fire.

texas ranger
10-01-2013, 04:12
Think most of us are with you on that Bill,but the mechanics are not in place to allow it to happen.
Empty rhetoric from CG methinks and has done us no favours in addition to taking the gloss off Traynors excellent statement.
Was Charlie a tiny bit miffed at our positive reaction to JT's piece?

The mechanics will never get in place for it to happen unless there is a concerted push for it. It will happen one day for sure, it's just a matter of time in my opinion.