PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool, really poor side

two2tango
27-12-2012, 12:35
Probably only one class player in suarez now who can change a game and would get a game for chelseas and the manchester clubs

Gerrard looks done

centre backs very inconsistent

reina going down hill rapid

more years in the doldrums for them

cant see how rodgers can change it without massive funds which he wont get

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 12:36
The boy Shelvey getting a regular start in a Liverpool team is testament to how far they have fallen in terms of quality.

Chronic mismanagement of funds in the last 5 years.

BroomloanWATP
27-12-2012, 12:37
They are genuinely awful, without Suarez they would be in real trouble. hopefully they punt him soon and get relegated, that would be hilarious :D.

two2tango
27-12-2012, 12:39
The boy Shelvey getting a regular start in a Liverpool team is testament to how far they have fallen in terms of quality.

he reminds me of namouchi, totally out of his depth

some of his attempted passes and first topuches were league one standard

mineral1992
27-12-2012, 12:40
Probably only one class player in suarez now who can change a game and would get a game for chelseas and the manchester clubs

Gerrard looks done

centre backs very inconsistent

reina going down hill rapid

more years in the doldrums for them

cant see how rodgers can change it without massive funds which he wont get

Should have stayed where he was

GioLoyal
27-12-2012, 12:41
Hodgson followed by Dalglish followed by Rodgers has led to disaster.

They had to replace Benitez (a manager who, despite his faults, has won La Liga, the UEFA Cup and the Champions League) with a manager of that ilk if they wanted to remain a top 4 team.

5 years ago they had Xabi Alonso now they have Jonjo Shelvey.

Cannavaro
27-12-2012, 12:43
Buying Sturridge will allow him to drop Shelvey, Borrini is to come back as well, but I agree they look very average apart from Suarez, unless they spend big they will be midtable for the next couple of seasons at least

47blue
27-12-2012, 12:43
Another £12m about to be wasted on Sturridge,Rodgers ain't the man to turn this club around

Sasa
27-12-2012, 12:44
I'll buck the trend by saying I think Suarez is over-hyped in the extreme.

Xavi Hernandez
27-12-2012, 12:44
They are woeful.

Remember a midfield of Mascherano, Alonso and a rampant Gerrard.

Now they have Shelvey, Henderson and that the Welsh boy. Is that Spearing still there?

And the money they've spent on Downing, Henderson, Carroll and the Italian forward is criminal.

sfaulds
27-12-2012, 12:45
They can be good when it suits them but other than a few games a season they are bang average

Bowery Boys
And how will they address their problems?

By throwing more money at average and hideously over-priced EPL footballers like Downing, Henderson, Carroll and Adam.

GioLoyal
The worst of it is Nuri Sahin is a quality player, yet they play shite like Shelvey before him.

Xavi Hernandez
27-12-2012, 12:46
I'll buck the trend by saying I think Suarez is over-hyped in the extreme.

I think he is a quality player, if he was more composed in front of goal he would be frightening.

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 12:46
They are woeful.

Remember a midfield of Mascherano, Alonso and a rampant Gerrard.

Now they have Shelvey, Henderson and that the Welsh boy. Is that Spearing still there?

And the money they've spent on Downing, Henderson, Carroll and the Italian forward is criminal.

Jesus I forgot about that Italian! What has happened to him? In fact. *** was his name?

Bowery Boys
27-12-2012, 12:47
The worst of it is Nuri Sahin is a quality player, yet they play shite like Shelvey before him.

:blink:

I forgot they signed him. Absolute madness on his part. Is he fit?

davidab157
A perfect example of a manager trying to fit his players around the system rather than the opposite way.

Suarez is not a lone striker. And if you want a dynamic front 3, then Downing and Sterling aren't right because they won't score enough goals.

If they get Sturridge and another (maybe Walcott?), I can see it working. 3 players who can all play in every front 3 position and score goals.

dsloan
Appointing Rodgers shows how far they have fallen.He was a good manager at a lesser club,which is what Liverpool are becoming.

Bowery Boys
27-12-2012, 12:48
Jesus I forgot about that Italian! What has happened to him? In fact. *** was his name?

Fabio Borini.

macdonsj
27-12-2012, 12:49

Borini
who pre-injury was crap

it's the clear insanity at Liverpool thats a laugh

lack of strikers last year
so they buy another "might be good" midfielder and loan out a striker

and as for the "experiment" of playing Enrique at LW with Downing at LB
***?

gd0148
27-12-2012, 12:49
A perfect example of a manager trying to fit his players around the system rather than the opposite way.

That's hit the nail on the head. Rodgers has his way and doesn't appear to have a plan b.

Xavi Hernandez
27-12-2012, 12:50
Fabio Borini.

That's it. £12m from Roma? Madness.

GioLoyal
27-12-2012, 12:51
:blink:

I forgot they signed him. Absolute madness on his part. Is he fit?

Yes he's on the bench most weeks.

I don't blame Sahin, he wanted to go to Arsenal.

Liverpool were prepared to pay a fee to take him on loan and Mourinho preferred to do a deal with Rodgers (who worked under Mourinho at Chelsea) than Wenger (who he doesn't like).

It was stupid and counter productive by Mourinho because Sahin would have played more games in a better team and at Champions League level if he had went to Arsenal - which in turn would have benefited Real Madrid when he returns there next season.

Having said that Mourinho probably doesn't care because he's not going to be there himself next season.

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 12:53

Liverpool were prepared to pay a fee to take him on loan and Mourinho preferred to do a deal with Rodgers (who worked under Mourinho at Chelsea) than Wenger (who he doesn't like).

It was stupid and counter productive by Mourinho because Sahin would have played more games in a better team and at Champions League level if he had went to Arsenal - which in turn would have benefited Real Madrid when he returns there next season.

Having said that Mourinho probably doesn't care because he's not going to be there himself next season.

If he is that good I don't see (a) why he couldn't force his way into an about to be labouring Real Madrid side, (b) force his way into a Liverpool side that is paper thin and has average players in midfield.

I dont see how it is a stick on that he would have got a game for Arsenal if he cant for Liverpool.

Would he depose anyone in the current Arsenal midfield on form?

GioLoyal
27-12-2012, 12:54
I think Rodgers is an imposter of manager btw.

He inherited a good setup at Swansea and seems to have built this 'Total Football' reputation on the back of that.

He certainly didn't have a reputation for Total Football when he was getting sacked by Reading or doing hee haw at Watford.

Anyone who saw his Swansea side last season would know it wasn't exactly great football anyway. There's passing the ball, then there's passing it with a purpose. Having your centre backs pass the ball to each other 10 times in a row when you're 2-0 down isn't my idea of great football.

Benlawersloyal
27-12-2012, 12:54
Rodgers is a good manager but he has a poor squad to choose from. When Suarez is not getting the goals they struggle. Gerrard is a shadow of the player he once was.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 12:56
what happened to the other italian they had Alberto Aquilani ?

Sebo23

Sahin has already came out and commented on the fact that he has been playing out of position as well. He's used to playing as a deep lying playmaker but has been asked to play further up the pitch almost in support of Suarez.

Totally strange deal all in. He's not the type of player Rodgers should be signing if he was insistent on signing Joe Allen to play there. Maybe he thought he was signing Ozil instead? :ninja:

JellaFella
I actually don’t think they are that far away from being very decent.

They need a player who can link midfield and attack and a decent inside forward like a Walcott.

They have a decent selection of midfielders but don’t seem able to get the combination right.

Bowery Boys
27-12-2012, 12:58

He is now playing for Fiorentina.

53easy
It's been a good 18 months since Sahin looked like a proper footballer...

GioLoyal
If he is that good I don't see (a) why he couldn't force his way into an about to be labouring Real Madrid side, (b) force his way into a Liverpool side that is paper thin and has average players in midfield.

I dont see how it is a stick on that he would have got a game for Arsenal if he cant for Liverpool.

Would he depose anyone in the current Arsenal midfield on form?

All the games Ramsay's played this season. Coquelin has also had about half a dozen games in central midfield. He would get a game before those 2 easy, back to his best he's a better player than Arteta and, arguably, Wilshere.

Sahin was in the Dortmund side when he was 16. He was their Player of the Season in 2011 when they won the Bundesliga ahead of Kagawa, Hummels, Gotze, Lucas, etc. He is a proper footballer and a real talent; trust me.

And he should have been in the Real side ahead of some of the guys Mourinho played in defensive midfield such as Lass and Granero. He's a better player than Khedira too imo.

southpaws
27-12-2012, 12:59
They are a soft touch and don't look to be playing for the manager, I think the being Liverpool programme rendered Rodgers a lame duck!

Gerard is reaching the point of diminishing returns and Rodgers publicly acclaimed faith in the likes of Shelvey has made him difficult to drop.

Rodgers football ethos is sound, but not with a collection of duds and players who are not committed to him, last night saw some decent pass and move let down by some apalling touches, such as Shelvey's when clean through!

Liverpool are the victim of an almost Abramovic lack of loyalty to managers, without the billions to cover up their mistakes and driven by a support living entirely on past glories and the odd false dawn!

I think in time and with the right level of backing and commitment from the owners Hodgson would have prevailed in rendering Liverpool a top 4 side and perennial Champions league qualifiers, anything beyond that would have been a bonus.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 12:59
He is now playing for Fiorentina.

is he still on loan or did they sell him

keldo82
27-12-2012, 13:00

Punted to Fiorentina probably for a huge loss compared to what they paid. It's the Liverpool way.

53easy
All the games Ramsay's played this season. Coquelin has also had about half a dozen games in central midfield. He would get a game before those 2 easy, back to his best he's a better player than Arteta and, arguably, Wilshere.

Sahin was in the Dortmund side when he was 16. He was their Player of the Season in 2011 when they won the Bundesliga ahead of Kagawa, Hummels, Gotze, Lucas, etc.

And he should have been in the Real side ahead of some of the guys Mourinho played in defensive midfield such as Lass and Granero. He's a better player than Khedira too imo.

Two totally different types of player

He was competing with Alonso for a start not Khedira imo.

GioLoyal
Sahin has already came out and commented on the fact that he has been playing out of position as well. He's used to playing as a deep lying playmaker but has been asked to play further up the pitch almost in support of Suarez.

Totally strange deal all in. He's not the type of player Rodgers should be signing if he was insistent on signing Joe Allen to play there. Maybe he thought he was signing Ozil instead? :ninja:

He's a left footed Xabi Alonso. He's a deep lying playmaker who sprays it about.

You're spot on, when Rodgers got him he tried to play him as a No. 10 as if he's an Ozil type player.

Bowery Boys
27-12-2012, 13:01
is he still on loan or did they sell him

They sold him. He's playing well in a resurgent side it has to be said. The Liverpool move was all wrong for him.

JellaFella
27-12-2012, 13:02
He's a left footed Xabi Alonso. He's a deep lying playmaker who sprays it about.

Not when he is at his best he isnt, nothing like kind of player for Dortmund.

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 13:03

Sahin was in the Dortmund side when he was 16. He was their Player of the Season in 2011 when they won the Bundesliga ahead of Kagawa, Hummels, Gotze, Lucas, etc.

I know all about Sahin mate. But successive top flight managers cant be totally wrong.

Ramsay and Coquelin are not first players and I don't see enough evidence that he would be a better EPL midfielder than Arteta - who has been outstanding in a deep lying role at two top clubs for years on end. Neither do I see him deposing Wilshere or the wee Spanish boy in that attacking midfield/attacker role - both of whom look the least of Arsenal's worries.

Something must be wrong with the guy post move, either in terms of his ability to maintain longer term fitness after injury or just in terms of attitude. Sometimes a move just doesn't work and a player just doesn't settle anywhere other than in one country.

Agree on one thing though. I have no idea why Rodgers signed him.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 13:04
They sold him. He's playing well in a resurgent side it has to be said. The Liverpool move was all wrong for him.

Cheers for the info he just seemed to disapear

agcooper
current day liverpool remind me of aberdeen up here.

once were great and now they are total pish and have been for decades now.

they sacked the one manager that produced an absolute miracle that really ought of have secured him the job for the next 10 years.

brendan ****ing rodgers - hysterical appointment.

HMS.Temple.Garden
according to my brother in law Liverpool will have £40 million to spend in January

Sasa
Biggest mistake in a footballing career possibly ever:

Gerrard choosing to stay at Liverpool after winning the CL.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 13:05
according to my brother in law Liverpool will have £40 million to spend in January

They would be crazy to spend that amount of money in january IMO

53easy
27-12-2012, 13:05
Daniel Sturridge will score goals for Liverpool.

He looked a good player when Bolton gave him a run up front for 5 months.

HMS.Temple.Garden
27-12-2012, 13:07
They would be crazy to spend that amount of money in january IMO

they need players as the one's they have clearly aren't fit for the task, they need another striker minimum.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 13:08
they need players as the one's they have clearly aren't fit for the task, they need another striker minimum.

if they get sturridge then that will see them finish mid table the rest of the transfer fund should be kept to the close season in my opinion

GioLoyal
27-12-2012, 13:12
Not when he is at his best he isnt, nothing like kind of player for Dortmund.

They played a 4-2-3-1 (they still do).

Bender/Kehl and Sahin deep. Kagawa in the hole. Kuba/Gotze/Grosskreutz wide.

Bender/Kehl broke up the play, Sahin got it forward to the 3 attacking midfield as quickly and accurately as possible. Dortmund then flooded forward at speed.

I strongly disagree. He's exactly like Alonso. He maybe has a better engine and is more dynamic but in playing styles I think he's very similar, albeit a left sided version.

In terms of ability - he's better than what Liverpool have in that position.

If his head's not right that's a different issue but I don't think you can argue he hasn't been mismanaged first by Real then by Liverpool. Two clubs not exactly known for being brilliantly run. That has maybe hurt his confidence and messed his head around a bit.

What he needs is a solid, non spazzy club where he will get time and a bit of patience to get his form back. Arsenal on loan for a year would have been perfect for him. A move back to Dortmund, even a move to Bayern Munich who've been linked with him.

JellaFella
27-12-2012, 13:16
They played a 4-2-3-1 (they still do).

Bender/Kehl and Sahin deep. Kagawa in the hole. Kuba/Gotze/Grosskreutz wide.

Bender/Kehl broke up the play, Sahin got it forward to the 3 attacking midfield as quickly and accurately as possible. Dortmund then flooded forward at speed.

I strongly disagree. He's exactly like Alonso. He maybe has a better engine and is more dynamic but in playing styles I think he's very similar, albeit a left sided version.

In terms of ability - he's better than what Liverpool have in that position.

If his head's not right that's a different issue but I don't think you can argue he hasn't been mismanaged first by Real then by Liverpool. Two clubs not exactly known for being brilliantly run. That has maybe hurt his confidence and messed his head around a bit.

What he needs is a solid, non spazzy club where he will get time and a bit of patience to get his form back. Arsenal on loan for a year would have been perfect for him. A move back to Dortmund, even a move to Bayern Munich who've been linked with him.

He can pass, and plays on a football pitch so in that way he is like Alonso, thatís about the only comparison.

Sahin was a key part in the way Dortmund broke and pressed the ball, he moved up the pitch with them when they countered Alonso rarely does.

Sahin was more prone to carry the ball himself when he was with Dortmund.

Sebo23
27-12-2012, 13:17
I know all about Sahin mate. But successive top flight managers cant be totally wrong.

Ramsay and Coquelin are not first players and I don't see enough evidence that he would be a better EPL midfielder than Arteta - who has been outstanding in a deep lying role at two top clubs for years on end. Neither do I see him deposing Wilshere or the wee Spanish boy in that attacking midfield/attacker role - both of whom look the least of Arsenal's worries.

Something must be wrong with the guy post move, either in terms of his ability to maintain longer term fitness after injury or just in terms of attitude. Sometimes a move just doesn't work and a player just doesn't settle anywhere other than in one country.

Agree on one thing though. I have no idea why Rodgers signed him.

Must disagree with your observation on Arteta, he was played much further up the field with Everton, and also on a number of occasions as a wide midfielder, partly because Everton had no decent options there and partly because Moyes didn't trust his physicality in the middle of the park.

It's only when he switched to Arsenal that he played in a lot more defensive a position in the EPL. I agree with you in a way though, I think that's the reason why Wenger didn't push for the transfer, he claims if he really wanted Sahin he could have got him.

What Wenger really needs is a Diaby clone, but one that isn't constantly injured.

That's another topic altogether though.

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 13:19
Must disagree with your observation on Arteta, he was played much further up the field with Everton, and also on a number of occasions as a wide midfielder, partly because Everton had no decent options there and partly because Moyes didn't trust his physicality in the middle of the park.

It's only when he switched to Arsenal that he played in a lot more defensive a position in the EPL. I agree with you in a way though, I think that's the reason why Wenger didn't push for the transfer, he claims if he really wanted Sahin he could have got him.

What Wenger really needs is a Diaby clone, but one that isn't constantly injured.

That's another topic altogether though.

Agreed mate. Was outstanding in a left sided creative role for a long time at Everton as well.

Just an outstanding EPL midfielder who can play in a number of roles.

Sebo23
27-12-2012, 13:25
Agreed mate. Was outstanding in a left sided creative role for a long time at Everton as well.

Just an outstanding EPL midfielder who can play in a number of roles.

Indeed. Whether he's the answer long term at Arsenal is another issue, but he's certainly one of their most important players just now, easily backed up by the way their results nosedived last season when he was injured for a spell.

Back to Liverpool, a lot of pundits where making them a good bet for a top 4 place after good results against West Ham and a home win or 2. I thought I must have been not seeing something they were, turns out most are just stupid! :D

The_Gub
27-12-2012, 13:31

Five years? Well, that's one of my favourite Bowie songs fecked then.

They have went from 1990 without winning the league. They will not win it in the foreseeable future.

Mediocrity has been a cloud over their shoulder for years.

However, they have a wonderful spell, induced by a Rangers fan to look back on. As does this present day Man Utd mob.

CaptainCourageous
27-12-2012, 13:32
Don't see how Daniel Sturridge is going to improve that side either. Average Premiership player.

Dunantblue
27-12-2012, 13:33
Indeed. Whether he's the answer long term at Arsenal is another issue, but he's certainly one of their most important players just now, easily backed up by the way their results nosedived last season when he was injured for a spell.

Back to Liverpool, a lot of pundits where making them a good bet for a top 4 place after good results against West Ham and a home win or 2. I thought I must have been not seeing something they were, turns out most are just stupid! :D

There is a massive well of good will towards Liverpool. A lot of guys in the media genuinely want them at the top competing. It leads to a bit of a collective blindness at times.

They aren't a big side down there anymore in reality.

cantab
27-12-2012, 13:36
Why Liverpool didn't get Benitez back instead of the succession of duds they hired in Hodgson, Dalglish and Rodgers I don't know. He was desperate for that job and would have made a better fist of it than those three.

Scarecrow
27-12-2012, 13:44
I'm enjoying it, their manager is Brent mkII, doesn't know what hes doing

DYNAMO_ROSCO
27-12-2012, 13:47
They're not that bad. Play them the right way they'll get better results. They'll not win the league but would be decent with this starting 11.c

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique

Lucus
Sahin
Gerrard

Sturridge
Suarez
Sterling

cantab
27-12-2012, 13:49
They're not that bad. Play them the right way they'll get better results. They'll not win the league but would be decent with this starting 11.c

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique

Lucus
Sahin
Gerrard

Sturridge
Suarez
Sterling

There aren't exactly goals galore likely to come from that team though.

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 13:55

Reina been really poor the last couple of seasons
Johnson Average at his best[/B
]Skrtel [B] Average at his best
Agger gets caught out ball watching
Enrique Poor defender

Lucus over rated injury prone
Sahin quality player
Gerrard Passed his best

Sturridge over rated
Suarez quality player
Sterling Not seen enough of him

need a few decent players in

Borderprod
27-12-2012, 14:15
Rodgers is a knuckle shuffler, he is one of them

J-Rod
27-12-2012, 14:23
Its been very funny over the last year and a half given a lot of my mates support them. In theory they should have a half decent side Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique is a pretty good defence, between Sahin, Allen, Gerrard and Lucas they should be able to find a good midfield and Suarez, although hyped up beyond belief at the moment, is amongst the top 3 or 4 strikers in the league. Sterling has gone off the boil a bit but thats pretty understandable as hes only just turned 18. They have some horrendous back up players it has to be said:D

Sturridge is a good player when played upfront but when he signs for Liverpool he will presumably be out on the right still!

CaptainCourageous
27-12-2012, 14:24

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique

Lucus
Sahin
Gerrard

Sturridge
Suarez
Sterling

Keeper has been off form for a couple of seasons now.

Defence is shocking. Mistake after mistake, leaking goals.

Midfield is powderpuff, Gerrard has been woeful.

Injury to Suarez and they will struggle even more. Not too sure what Sturridge is going to bring - more mediocrity?

perthtrueger
27-12-2012, 14:25
Rodgers is guff and so r the pool !!!

Sam_English
27-12-2012, 14:25
Liverpool have been a club in demise for 10 years and show no sign of improvement

ruglenbear
27-12-2012, 14:37
Keeper has been off form for a couple of seasons now.

Defence is shocking. Mistake after mistake, leaking goals.

Midfield is powderpuff, Gerrard has been woeful.

Injury to Suarez and they will struggle even more. Not too sure what Sturridge is going to bring - more mediocrity?

Sturridge will be an improvement on what they've got, but that says more about what they've got than how good he is. I reckon he'll score goals for them though

Suarez is obviously their best player, but he's also vastly overrated.

His finishing is pretty mediocre (although it has improved this season)

TN8
27-12-2012, 14:46
Allen, Sterling, Sahin and Suarez are the 4 players they should be trying to build around.

Pretty much every other player in that squad shouldn't be there. Baffling that they dont even play Sahin.

jimbear
27-12-2012, 16:17
They made a very big mistake in appointing Brendan Rogers. He was the wrong man for a huge club like Liverpool. They must look with great envy across Stanley Park at the manager Everton have. They need somebody to inject a bit of iron and attitude into their club. Moyes has done that at Everton with much less resource. I see that Liverpool are after Sturridge. He is not Liverpool class in my opinion.

gazza162
27-12-2012, 17:29
to think they let kuyt go ,think he and suarez had the makings of a right good strike force ,that shelvey looks like hes on day release

Top_Cat
27-12-2012, 17:32
Liverpool have been a club in demise for 10 years and show no sign of improvement

That's been generous in the extreme mate!

CaptainCourageous
27-12-2012, 17:44
Sturridge will be an improvement on what they've got, but that says more about what they've got than how good he is. I reckon he'll score goals for them though

Suarez is obviously their best player, but he's also vastly overrated.

His finishing is pretty mediocre (although it has improved this season)

Will be interesting to see where Sturridge will play?

£12m and his wages - could have got a better player for that.

final_straws
27-12-2012, 18:53
It brings me joy watching their decline.

I cannot stand their fans nor can i stand Rodgers. I presume no-one has told him that he came across as an arrogant t_sser on that BBC programme and that he is keeping up that impression with his recent interviews. One minute he is ranting about not signing greedy players and the next minute he is signing Sturridge.

I agree with what has been said previously, that he is over rated as a manager after all he did inherit the foundations of a good swansea team and was not exactly great in his previous managing exploits.

I also hope they continue to make stupid signings like Sturridge. They are putting a lot of money into the over inflated english market and you would have thought they would have learnt their lesson with the signings of Henderson and Downing. Clearly not and long may it continue

Helstead
27-12-2012, 18:59
Although they have had money to spent I see them along the lines of an Aston Villa type job both of them are in ruts and desperately need something new to break that jinxed job feel.