PDA

View Full Version : Rangers, the saviours of Scottish football.

Neverwalkingawy
27-12-2012, 10:32
I'll be honest, when I learned they had voted to put us down to the bottom league, I had doubts about our ability to bounce back. Yesterday was yet another indication of just how spectacularly I got things wrong. The attendances at Ibrox have been staggering. When you consider that the Western World is experiencing the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression,the fact that incomes are being stretched to the limit, then it is a genuinely humbling experience to sit there and imbibe the feeling of love for an institution which oozes from every pore of our support.

Add to that, the quite staggering amount raised by the shares issue, then you begin to get a grasp of this unique phenomenon called Glasgow Rangers.

Whether it be Alloa, Clyde or Arbroath, Rangers supporters afford the visiting team and its supporters the same level of appreciation as it did top class European opposition. We show them respect and in the process, educate them about the true nature of our glorious club.

Recently I had the great privilege of visiting the small town of Montrose, a place which hitherto I had not visited. We were well received by the locals, not just for the much needed money we brought, but also because of the buzz of being there. The day when Rangers came to town, was when they could also see for themselves that Rangers supporters were ordinary decent, human beings, far removed from the crude stereotype as depicted in the Scottish rags.

I also had doubts about our time out the SPL as being a 'journey', as described by some fellow Rangers supporters. As usual, they were right and I was wrong. This as much a metaphorical as well as a physical journey. Just as Odysseus triumphed through his trials and tribulations, his heroic deeds were part of the inner, personal journey. By going to the 'wee' towns we learn much about ourselves.

Rangers' journey too is not just physical, it is much more than that. We can survive on our own and in so doing have found our soul and our voice. As we move forward, we grow and we learn more about ourselves. We were told that Ibrox would be empty every week, it did not happen. We were told that the shares issue would be a farce, some farce!!!!!
More importantly, we were told that the man leading Rangers would let us down. Instead, we now have a man who has drunk from the Rangers goblet and has been intoxicated by the heady brew. He is ready to fight our corner and in the process, save the heart of our club and ensure a bright future.

Wandering through the narrow streets of Montrose, I felt a bit like a missionary from ancient times, encouraging the locals to see another perspective, the Rangers vision. Spreading the word, supporting the team, we truly are the people that others can learn from. In saving ourselves, we have saved others, that is what some fail to grasp.

Toby77
27-12-2012, 11:25
Cracking post, maybe you have to nearly lose something to realise what you would have lost. Our journey even though foisted upon us due to the criminal actions of others will be our redemption and just another glorious chapter in this great club of ours.

imbran
27-12-2012, 11:42
Good post 'Neverwalkingawy'.
I hope you used your position as a missionary to good effect while in Montrose !

dallen57
27-12-2012, 11:43
Well said, the support for this club, Our Club, is beyond belief and we will get stronger as we progress, time is on our side and other teams should welcome our support!! The criminals are still out there!! watp

GersBearette
27-12-2012, 11:44
Great posts - great thread...

The sleeping giant was woken.. Having not been to a home match in nearly 10 years - I have only missed one this season.. My brotherinlaw gave up his season ticket when his kids came along some 20 years ago, bought one this season and so did my sister!!!!!!!!!!!

You thought you would kill us off but you just made us stronger and more determined. The lessons for all our enemies is - you will never destroy us, break us or divide us..

We stand together as one - the Glasgow Rangers Family and we will never walk away from our wonderful club..

tkmcg
27-12-2012, 11:48
Good post 'Neverwalkingawy'.
I hope you used your position as a missionary to good effect while in Montrose !

Ah the old missionary position, when needs must

northsealoyal
27-12-2012, 11:50
Great post

We have become a much stronger club and support over the last few months we now have people at the very top willing to fight the papish media

billmcmurdo
27-12-2012, 12:05
Great post

This is what Rangers are all about

Our destiny is to lead the game and be a benefactor, not tyrannical like the other mob

200000 Heroes
27-12-2012, 12:06
Great post OP. And, as Gers Bearette has already said, I was another one who had drifted away from attending games, not drifted from the club (you never drift away from your family), but drifted away from attending games. I justified it to myself by saying "going every week is a young man's game".

Well, staring oblivion in the face, at the hands of liars and cheats and plotters and schemers, has renewed my passion for the club like nothing else could have. I have attended more matches this year than I did in the previous five.

So, we live on and, like you, I now see this journey back from the conspirators attempts to kill us as an adventure, and another proud part of our club's history. Watching our fans pack Ibrox to the rafters, and watching the bear cubs grow and mature on the pitch, and watching our enemies slowly weaken, and watching fear begin to creep into their thoughts as they realise the full magnitude of their mistake and the likely consequences they have now brought upon themselves, well, it's just a treat to behold.

So, I shall see you all on Saturday (up the West Stand, with my boys and another new bear making his first visit to see the mighty Rangers :)) and the story of the day that the bears and bearettes packed the home of the corrupt SFA plastic paddy conspirators and let them know exactly what we think of them, will live long in the memory of every loyal fan. I am so glad I'm going to be part of that.

We Are The People, and don't ever forget it :D:D:D

sherbrook_loyal
27-12-2012, 12:13
Outstanding post.

earnger
27-12-2012, 12:20
Great post OP,bursting with pride reading that and feel very priviledged to be part of the wonderfull Rangers family.Onward and upward together.:)

Moodymann
27-12-2012, 12:25
Super post.

Let this be a warming to others, we will only get stronger and build up a stockpile of cash and when we get back to the top division, you will all know about.

KennyP2519
27-12-2012, 12:40
Great post. It sums up the feeling among 99.9% of our support.

Neverwalkingawy
27-12-2012, 13:21
I suspect your story could be repeated by many people in the Rangers family. Like members of your own family, the dearest and even most beloved you can never take for granted. If there was ever a message out there, it is this; never take Rangers for granted. Without us, they are nothing and without Rangers, we are lesser people. I don't want to turn this into some spiritual exercise. But what makes 50.000 people turn up on a freezing day, when they already know the outcome of the game in the middle of an economic crisis? If you can answer that question, then you begin to understand the institution that is Rangers F.C.

People outside the club in Scotland, wouldn't even attempt to ask such a question.

Great post OP. And, as Gers Bearette has already said, I was another one who had drifted away from attending games, not drifted from the club (you never drift away from your family), but drifted away from attending games. I justified it to myself by saying "going every week is a young man's game".

Well, staring oblivion in the face, at the hands of liars and cheats and plotters and schemers, has renewed my passion for the club like nothing else could have. I have attended more matches this year than I did in the previous five.

So, we live on and, like you, I now see this journey back from the conspirators attempts to kill us as an adventure, and another proud part of our club's history. Watching our fans pack Ibrox to the rafters, and watching the bear cubs grow and mature on the pitch, and watching our enemies slowly weaken, and watching fear begin to creep into their thoughts as they realise the full magnitude of their mistake and the likely consequences they have now brought upon themselves, well, it's just a treat to behold.

So, I shall see you all on Saturday (up the West Stand, with my boys and another new bear making his first visit to see the mighty Rangers :)) and the story of the day that the bears and bearettes packed the home of the corrupt SFA plastic paddy conspirators and let them know exactly what we think of them, will live long in the memory of every loyal fan. I am so glad I'm going to be part of that.

We Are The People, and don't ever forget it :D:D:D

Hootsmon
27-12-2012, 13:27
Terrific post. The past few months have shown that we are Scottish football. As implied by a previous poster, sometimes you have to take a step back to get a clearer picture.

DEXAVIA
27-12-2012, 13:27
Outsiders really don't understand how deep it runs with us. They are beginning to get a vague idea however.

johnstoneranger2
27-12-2012, 13:29
Goosebumps reading they posts.

This is what sets us apart from the rest. .

They tried to kill us they failed we will never forget. They have awoken this giant from its slumber and god help them. Hell has no fury like a bear scorned!!!

buster123
27-12-2012, 13:33
Fantastic post by the OP and everyone above me. WATP

Cranky
27-12-2012, 13:37
We are quite simply unrivalled when it comes to supporting our club

Captain Jock
27-12-2012, 13:41
What a heartening OP!
One of the real beauties about our climb from the very bottom of the football ladder is that we've awakened a slumbering giant.
There are very many supporters, like 20000 Heroes, that had drifted away from the club and our current situation has rekindled the fire in their bellies.
I know it's often said but the scale and determination of our support to ensure we're back where we belong is truly staggering!

mirtin73
27-12-2012, 16:02
Great post OP...We are more than a club. It has taken staring into the abyss to remind a lot of this...but reminded we are.

turrabear
27-12-2012, 16:07
exellent post there my friend.

kenikinif
27-12-2012, 16:20
no matter where or when rangers score the feeling is always the same ,we are backing our club in a similar way as we did at the start of the souness revoloution eventually we will be rewarded with similar success as we were then we are simply the best

bornabluenose
27-12-2012, 16:24
Top post Sir , cap doffed .

Terry_Y
27-12-2012, 17:43
Sometimes on FF you read an OP and a thread and say....you see THAT is what it is all about.

Thanks Neverwalkingawy, that was a good read.

Emearg
27-12-2012, 17:49
I had not been to an away game for a number of seasons. Most were on TV, sick of being herded like cattle, treated like scum, but to be honest I couldn't really be bothered.
Decided this season, as we would be going to places I haven't been before to go.
So far I've been to Berwick, Clyde, Stenhousemuir (for East Stirling game) and Montrose, and loved every second of it. Got tickets for Saturday, and cant wait. Wont make Annan, but look forward to travels to other grounds in second half of season.

CambridgeBear
27-12-2012, 17:51
Great post mate

ldk68
27-12-2012, 20:24
How could you EVER doubt ??? :eek:

MattyD
27-12-2012, 20:50
Tears in my eye's (again) reading these posts..... We Truly Are The People!!!!