PDA

View Full Version : Billy Semple

am proud 2 b blue
26-12-2012, 22:20
Bumped into him today.

Realise he only played a few games.

Any memories from anyone of the games he did play in.

bilkobear
26-12-2012, 22:29
Bumped into him today.

I remember him.
Speedy, bundle of energy who always looked like he was going to make a break through but never did.
But Rangers had Willie Johnston and Orange Persson on the left and if I recall correctly isn't that where Billy mostly played.

charlie bubbles
26-12-2012, 23:33
Henderson on the right so it was difficult for anyone to break through as wee Wullie at his peak was world class.

newbs1963
26-12-2012, 23:52
Just before my time when Billy was at Ibrox,but met him a few times when he ran a pub in Larkhall,great guy and a True Blue.

gordon_blue
27-12-2012, 01:12
Bumped into him today.

I can't even remember him playing a "few" games. Plenty for the Reserves but, correct me if I'm wrong, none for the first team.

youngsy
27-12-2012, 01:43
I can't even remember him playing a "few" games. Plenty for the Reserves but, correct me if I'm wrong, none for the first team.

Semple played a few games for the first team,about ten or so, i remember him scoring against Thistle on New Years Day,1970. Stein scored one but not sure of the other scorer. We won 3-0 or 3-1 i think.

Number_Eight
27-12-2012, 01:54
Semple played a few games for the first team,about ten or so, i remember him scoring against Thistle on New Years Day,1970. Stein scored one but not sure of the other scorer. We won 3-0 or 3-1 i think.

That's correct.

He did indeed turn out for the first team, and I too was there when he scored against Thistle.

tartanorangutan
27-12-2012, 02:18
New Years day 1970 Rangers 3 Thistle 1 - Johnston Semple and Stein the scorers

Plantation Pioneer
27-12-2012, 04:52
knew his daughter , they stayed right across from Ibrox. cant remember much of him as i was too young

numanloyal
27-12-2012, 08:42
as a young lad i only ever remember him always being in the front row of all Rangers squad pictures in the early seventies:confused:

earlcmoonbrand
27-12-2012, 09:17
Just before my time when Billy was at Ibrox,but met him a few times when he ran a pub in Larkhall,great guy and a True Blue.

Billy is indeed a True Blue and an absolute gentleman. He's a semi-regular in The Steps and a total joy to speak to. He's quite honest about his time with Rangers and the lack of first team action he had over his 4 or so seasons at Ibrox that amounted to around a dozen games, scoring 4 times in the first team if I recall correctly. He had world class players in the queue ahead of him but he still feels enormous pride that he played, and scored, for the team he loved. His post Ibrox career is fascinating and there's some grainy YouTube footage of Billy playing for Hong Kong Rangers against the New York Cosmos -Pele, Beckenbauer et al.

nemessis
27-12-2012, 09:54
Sorry not trying to be a smartarse and i know it was a typo but "Honk" Kong just doesn't seem to be smelt right.:D

earlcmoonbrand
27-12-2012, 10:15
Sorry not trying to be a smartarse and i know it was a typo but "Honk" Kong just doesn't seem to be smelt right.:D

I deserved that!

jimbear
27-12-2012, 10:24

I saw his first team debut against Partick Thistle in a New Year game at Ibrox. I think it was in 1970.

gordon_blue
31-12-2012, 16:27
I just remember him from all the team/squad pics in the early 70s. He was always in the light blue and white striped top as if he was always a reserve.

jango
31-12-2012, 16:35
Was a regular in the Keystane bar.
Always a very pleasent guy.

St Matthew 18: 1-6
31-12-2012, 18:13
Seen him play quite a lot when I was a kid.

I lived across the road from Ibrox and went to a lot of reserve games.

More often than not Billy was the stand out player in these days but Wee Bud was a tough nut to crack and then Wee Doddy arrived to play at inside left.