PDA

View Full Version : David Templeton: If I help put Gers back on top Ill be an Ibrox legend

ian-rfc
26-12-2012, 06:33
DAVID TEMPLETON knows most people thought he was CRAZY to drop down to the Third Division.

Clubs down south had the winger on their radar.

Yet Templeton opted to join Rangers and hes in no doubt he made the right choice.

The 23-year-old is firing on all cylinders after a spell crocked on the sidelines and he is loving every minute of life as a Ger.

He said: A lot of people might have thought I would go to England, but everyone knows the size of Rangers.

You cant say no. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity so I had to take it. I have no regrets at all.

You see the fan base and just how big the club is. The facilities at Murray Park are fantastic too all these things made me want to sign. Its all about trying to get Rangers back to the top and if I can help do that then you are known as a legend right away.

I want to be part of that. Its a great experience for me.

I knew everything that was going on behind the scenes at Hearts. That was difficult so it helped my decision. It has been unbelievable so far. The crowds have been amazing. Hopefully, we will get up this year and then start moving through the leagues.

No one told me not to come here. When I heard what was happening, I spoke to Lee Wallace and Ian Black and they had only good things to say about the club.

Templeton signed on transfer deadline day and was hoping that Jambos team-mate Ryan McGowan would join him.

The Aussie full back knocked Gers back as he didnt want to play in the bottom league.

Templeton recalled: We were both coming up from Liverpool when we found out what was happening. I spoke to Ryan and then saw him that night at Murray Park. It wasnt right for him but it was for me. Im not sure why Ryan felt that way. I think it was maybe because he was in his international squad and felt going to the Third Division might affect that.

I think that was the main reason and that he felt a bit rushed by it. Templeton has been particularly blown away by the Gers support when some, including gaffer Ally McCoist, felt the novelty value would wear off.

He said: I knew a lot of people who are Rangers fans and knew what the club was about but it is still surprising to see the numbers that turn up.

We are getting 50,000 every week and that is unbelievable in the Third Division.

The fans have been incredible since I have been here and hopefully it will stay like that for the rest of the season.

To get 42,000 for the Annan match in midweek, when people are working the next day, was scary. I was delighted to score in that game.

While Templeton is now finding his feet with seven goals already this season, he took time to sympathise with his old Hearts team-mates who have been worrying about getting their wages at the cash-stricken Gorgie club. Templeton said: Its obviously good not having to worry. I feel for the Hearts boys because I know what its like. Coming up to Christmas, its difficult. We endured it last year and it was very hard.

I do feel for them but I am at Rangers now.

I am enjoying my football and everything is good behind the scenes.

Templeton set up three of Gers goals in the 6-2 win at Elgin to add to the two he scored in the 3-0 home win over Annan last midweek. The perfectionist says there is more to come as he battles his way back from ankle ligament damage. He said: I still dont feel 100 per cent or as sharp as I should be. Hopefully that will come with the more games I play and Ill soon be back to my best.

Its obviously good to help the team by setting up three goals but I feel my decision making could be better.

Templeton took a few hefty challenges in the game against Annan but shrugged it off.

He said: Its part and parcel of football. You have to expect it when you are winger. I have had it throughout my career.

Rangers aim to make it nine wins in a row in all competitions at home to Clyde today.

Templeton added: The last Clyde game was our first away win and we have kicked on.

It will be a tough game but we fancy our chances against anyone at Ibrox.

The Sun

Wily 7
26-12-2012, 06:44
David 'the perfectionist' Templeton. :D

Humbug
26-12-2012, 07:08
Half way there just by signing, I'm sure he will go on to fulfill the status he craves in the interview. This can only be a good thing for the club, hungry, talented, players who know what it means to be a Ranger.

CambridgeBear
26-12-2012, 07:10
He gets it.

Marc_dGris
26-12-2012, 07:21
He's away to a good start. I'm hoping there will be room for both MacKay and Templeton to start each week. It's great to see players with ability and confidence to match. Lee Wallace is the perfect support for whoever plays left wing.

tommy blue
26-12-2012, 09:33
Not sure about legend but crack on anyway son

mineral1992
26-12-2012, 09:40
Not sure about legend but crack on anyway son

Give him time and he might just do it. He's undoubtedly got the potential.

Cody
26-12-2012, 09:43
Oh! Oh!

Just keep schtum wee man, play yer best and then we'll decide if yer a legend or not.

dsloan
26-12-2012, 09:45
He seems to be a level headed young man.He is certainly going the right way about it.

mineral1992
26-12-2012, 09:46
The fact he wanted to come to us and wants to become a legend is enough for me. Gaun yersel wee man.

Bowery Boys
26-12-2012, 09:50
Oh! Oh!

Just keep schtum wee man, play yer best and then we'll decide if yer a legend or not.

There's always one :roll:

The Hammer 1872
26-12-2012, 09:52
Half way there just by signing, I'm sure he will go on to fulfill the status he craves in the interview. This can only be a good thing for the club, hungry, talented, players who know what it means to be a Ranger.

Could not agree more.

Its also good that MacLeod is a first team regular, McKay gets good minutes, Hegarty ( now due to injuries ) Perry, Hutton ( since Black is out ) Aird gets some minutes when fit, young greek defender, Crawford and Naismith have also scored goals for us and imo we should be giving them more minutes ahead of the wasteful pay we give Sandaza ( not saying he is crap, but we have young hungry forwards who would give their heart to the cause) Hemmings also when fully fit imo could be a good player for us IF given chances.

Alexander, Wallace, Jig are legends for me, comitment, loyalty and love for the club will always be rememberred.

sirdrinksalot
26-12-2012, 09:59
Good on him, he understands how huge the club is and he realises he can/will be part of something very special, it's an incredible story and when we finally reach the summit of Scottish football again, it will be remembered forever and be a prominent chapter in our clubs history.

picalo28
26-12-2012, 10:22
They are all legends in their own way. Some wll not be as revered as others but all of them are legends for staying with the club and joining the club.

I prefer to call them Loyal Legends. :)

InsanicDrunk
26-12-2012, 10:31
He gets it.

Too right he does.

Like how he sets up 3 goals and is not happy with his decision making.

NorseGod
26-12-2012, 10:56
Templeton will hopefully be one of many young guys, who just won't want their love affair with Rangers to ever end. No matter which club makes a move for them, the depth of their feeling for us will be too much to leave. Rangers, a life-long love affair which will see our current generation grow n become The Light n Speedy Blues again. Love n Loyalty always ahead of lolly.

200000 Heroes
26-12-2012, 11:00
Too right he does.

Like how he sets up 3 goals and is not happy with his decision making.

That says a very great deal about the young lad. Not happy with ONLY setting up the three goals.

The boy gets it. :D

Sam_English
26-12-2012, 11:11
He'll become a legend if he remains at the club and helps us to win major honours again.

hillheadbear
26-12-2012, 11:15
Remember, Templeton did not have to come to us; did not have to be playing in the 3rd division. I am sure he had could have had other offers in the SPL or in England. He came because he wanted to. And maybe, just maybe, he wants to be remembered like the man he was named after. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Nauld2
26-12-2012, 11:17
Really happy to hear guys like Templeton, Hutton and co acknowledging that they have a vision of getting Rangers back to the top.
Hope we can hold onto these guys long enough to get there.
The Young guys in particular have stepped up and played!

billy19611112
26-12-2012, 11:21
Long way to go temps but you have all the tools, and the platform to achieve it . If this team of youngsters can stick together we could end up with more than one legend

Aggieblue
26-12-2012, 11:24
Growing together through the leagues, we could ave an awesome team with a few carefully selected transfers in when we reach whatever top division exists at that time.

stayfor90mins
26-12-2012, 11:35
Templeton is a match winner and has the potential to be one of the best, Iam so glad he is with us...

ally-c
26-12-2012, 11:41
Well said dct. Welcome to our family

Young_Teddy_Bear
26-12-2012, 11:43
Davey cooper Templeton :)

Glasgow59
26-12-2012, 11:44
legend ? no yet david but your nearly there

FernandoTorres
26-12-2012, 11:45
Never rated him before he signed but I've been very pleasantly surprised since he's come into the team.

Ronnie1958
26-12-2012, 12:20
legend ? no yet david but your nearly there

Agreed, but I like the ambition:)

Torque87
26-12-2012, 12:22
Superb attitude wee chap and you're doing the job on the pitch aswell!

BigSteve
26-12-2012, 12:24
For those saying he isn't a legend. Of course he ufcking isn't. But he's not saying that. He's saying the guys who take us back to the top would go down as legends and to be honest he's probably right:

It’s all about trying to get Rangers back to the top and if I can help do that then you are known as a legend right away.

hagi bear
26-12-2012, 12:25
Davie
Davie Cooper
Davie Cooper Templeton

cocosbloke
26-12-2012, 12:26
For a guy who grew up supporting the darkside these are great words,his dad must be so proud,
Hope the so called rangers man naismith reads that too,and realises what a fool he was.

dooman42
26-12-2012, 12:27
Welcome to the family son

BigBoabB
26-12-2012, 12:39
Great words..... for the record he is'nt saying he is legend. He wants to become one. Imo he will fulfill that ambition. Good luck temps...

Blues_and_Twos
26-12-2012, 13:16
Something our ex-players who left us high and dry obviously cared nothing about.

paisleyprod
26-12-2012, 13:28
much of what he says is bang on. He knows the score.

div_mc_rfc
26-12-2012, 13:48
He is a class act. Knows the score. And I have no doubt that he will be a legend.

Fisher23
26-12-2012, 14:02
Really happy to hear that.

Well in David!

steve_rfc06
26-12-2012, 14:41
27 or 28 years of age and he will be playing in the Champions League with us and I fully believe that

rfc1952
26-12-2012, 14:48
By signing he has the chance to become a Legend - that's all at this stage!

CraigL91
26-12-2012, 15:19
The facilities WHERE David!? :mad:

derodger
26-12-2012, 15:44
By signing he has the chance to become a Legend - that's all at this stage!

Thats all he said though. When Rangers get back to the top tier of Scottish football the players who came in and did the job will be Legends.

If he keeps doing what he just did there against Clyde for the second goal he will be a legend.

dozyrfc
26-12-2012, 15:55
The facilities WHERE David!? :mad:

Until the club announce a name change, you will always get people calling it after that bastard, although articles etc. on the site has been calling it Auchenhowie it hasn't officially been renamed.