PDA

View Full Version : James Traynor's Last Column - This is a great imo

Pages : [1] 2 3

BigBoabB
03-12-2012, 04:24
I have typed this out and I for one will miss reading Traynor, like him or not he was a great journo who i think will be missed.

It was never a job. More of an absolute joy, if truth be told.

But all good things come to an end and when they do, it’s important to end with some good things.

When writing this, my final newspaper column, the memories come flooding in. When the time comes to change direction and move on, let the best of those memories rush from every corner of your mind and keep the worst of them locked away.

If people who have abused you because of their own bigoted and narrow-minded ways, or events that might have saddened you deeply, are allowed light and oxygen you let them tarnish and blacken what you’ve done and achieved.

For instance, this column – the final one after 37 years in newspapers – could bang on about supporters who have spat on my coats and jackets, thrown all sorts of insults and occasionally bricks and bottles. But that would demean everything.

I could name managers, players, club directors and administrators who, because the truth can hurt, have wished me all kinds of harm and misfortune. But neither they nor their words mattered. They damaged and shamed only themselves.

So from Andre Agassi (tennis is such a wonderful sport) to Zinedine Zidane (football really is a beautiful game despite the money grabbers and crooks), it has been amazing. It’s been a blast. Uplifting but also a deeply humbling and, at times, disturbing journey.

When Scotland were in Bucharest to play a European Championship qualifying tie against Romania, a couple of years after that madman Nicolae Ceausescu had been overthrown by revolution, players broke down. So too did supporters.

It was 1991 and the horrors of the Romanian orphan crisis were becoming clearer to the outside world.

It was heartbreaking. Even the most hardened cynical hacks cried at the sight of swarms of hungry, distraught children wandering the streets begging for morsels.

I know I said the bad memories should be locked away but those kids, who snatched all the money we could muster as though we were making them instant millionaires, can never be forgotten.

Strangely, another memory also concerns tears. But this time they came from a Brazilian great sitting right in the middle of Avenue Foch in Paris at the start of the 1998 World Cup finals.

Nilton Santos was there with Pele, Carlos Alberto and another great, Alfredo di Stefano, who was claimed by both Argentina and Spain.

I was there because I’d had a say in selecting the team of the 20th century – just for the Record that team was: Lev Yashin, Carlos, Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Santos; Johan Cruyff, Di Stefano, Michel Platini; Garrincha, Pele and Diego Maradona. Then I sat with Pele, Santos and Di Stefano listening to their tales.

It was fascinating, even when Santos, who had been a father figure to the deeply troubled Garrincha, wept as he spoke of the tormented genius and his final tragic years.

But there were loads of laughs with the greats of the people’s game to giants of other sports. Heroic characters such as Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jack Nicklaus, Seve Ballesteros, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver, Ilie Nastase, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe (did I mention tennis is a wonderful sport?), Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Mark McGwire (baseball is such an hypnotic and simply beautiful sport, maybe even the best) and the 49ers’ Jerry Rice.

There are just too many to list. But it’s been a privilege to have seen them in the flesh and even under the threat of extreme torture, such as being forced to listen to recordings of SFA/SPL meetings, I could never say my job has been anything like work. It’s been a pleasure.

Until recently.

Unfortunately, there has been the last twisted and bitter year during which Scottish football, unable to deal with the Rangers crisis in a civilised manner, has tried to tear itself apart. All in the name of sporting integrity, of course.

Actually, for the last couple of years some of the most bilious types have been allowed to emerge from the shadows and spew invective that sadly became regarded as fact, even though what they were saying and writing wasn’t even close to being definitive. Or honest. Overnight all sorts of anonymous bloggers became experts. These champions of decency had all the answers. They knew better than anyone else. They said over and over Rangers would be done for cheating the tax man.

They were wrong, the Rangers Tax Case blog in particular. Yet he/her/they stated: “This blog has been accurate on all of the major points of the case except the one that matters most to date – the FTT (First-tier Tax Tribunal) outcome”.

Excuse me? Accurate on all the major points except the bit that matters most. And that’s all right is it?

That’s a bit like a team manager saying after a defeat: “Hold on, I picked the right team and I believe my tactics were correct. So the result doesn’t really matter.”

Dolts. The result is everything. If any of the Rangers Tax Case bloggers are trained lawyers, would you want them to defend you in a court of law?

Even now so many – and I include some fellow journalists – still cannot bring themselves to accept Rangers did not cheat the tax man by using EBTs.

One journalist declared it to be “a government conspiracy” when he heard the ruling in Rangers’ favour.

Perhaps in time more will be written about this kind of hack and the rabid desire to help bring down Rangers, a fierce desire that, sadly, was widespread. Actually, I’m sure more will be written about them.

Just when did they become consumed by such eye-popping rage? Was it always there, a dormant fury against Rangers and their fans, who deserve enormous credit for having saved their club, just waiting for the catalyst?

Now they can’t help themselves. They can’t stop foaming at the mouth and we can be sure their determination to have titles stripped will go into overdrive.

They need some kind of victory or they might explode and that would be terribly messy. All that bile all over the walls and streets.

Unfortunately reason was never allowed to be a player in this grotesque game, which quickly became dominated mostly by
incoherent imbeciles fuelled by all that hatred.

And let’s not forget how some with telly platforms were prompted by
those bloggers and ill-informed commentators. Stupidly they allowed themselves to be duped by supporters with dangerous agendas hidden under the banner of integrity.

And the result? Some of the most shallow and infantile drivel ever written. These egotists are so into themselves they’ve no regard for the safety or wellbeing of those about whom they have written some awful and completely inaccurate pieces.

Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality.

I’m so sorry they’ve had to be thrown up into the same piece as some of the true greats and gentlemen of world sport.

However, that’s it. My work here is done and I’m glad – but just for the record, I’ve not been sacked or made redundant. I was asked to remain but my conscience won’t allow me to stay in our profession.

The journalism needed by the country, never mind sport, no longer exists in enough of the other media outlets.

But as I’ve said, the good memories of all those sporting greats will always outweigh the negatives, especially those that bubbled to the surface throughout this last year.

Thanks to sport’s real heroes I’ve had a ball and thank you for reading while I was with The Herald, the Daily Express and the Daily Record.

Good luck to you – and be careful about what and who you read in the future.

There are people out there calling themselves by different names.

But that’s not the bit that should worry you. They are calling themselves journalists.

Aunty Christ
03-12-2012, 04:32
That is a bullseye!

youngcitizen
03-12-2012, 04:34
And with that the final nail goes into the daily rebels coffin.

yougbuck136
03-12-2012, 04:34
WOW !!! Say it like it is. About time something like this was printed.

Whitey_22
03-12-2012, 04:35
Absolutely scathing of sports journalism in Scotland, well in Traynor.

BlueWelly
03-12-2012, 04:36
A good read and by the sounds of it more to come but when? And where? Looking forward to it already!

Aunty Christ
"Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality."

I wonder how Keevins and co would react to this quote? perhaps someone might like to ask him?

Moodymann
Head shot.

The best football hack calling out the agenda.

ThatsWhyWeirChamps
03-12-2012, 04:37
Must say, quite a good article.

I don't believe he's fully self-sacrificing - there's likely a book in the offing - but I do think he's being truthful in his disgust at the things he mentions.

Scotland has just lost it's only fair-minded journalist with a national platform.

BigBoabB
03-12-2012, 04:38
He doesnt miss .......

masterblue
03-12-2012, 04:38
Iam stunned by that.

He knows lots more than stated there.

Good luck J T.

jules58
03-12-2012, 04:40
Right on the nuts, not that it will embarrass any of them (they'll all think he's meaning someone else).
But now he gets replaced by who or what ??

ThatsWhyWeirChamps
03-12-2012, 04:41
Would certainly like to know the full story. There's certainly much more to this than meets the eye.

I don't believe this has happened over the course of a week or so - it's clearly been a series of events culminating in him just telling them to ram their job up their arse, at least that's how it looks.

BigBoabB
03-12-2012, 04:41

I don't believe he's fully self-sacrificing - there's likely a book in the offing - but I do think he's being truthful in his disgust at the things he mentions.

Scotland has just lost it's only fair-minded journalist with a national platform.

Totally agree, we might not always agree, but that is a good journalist for you imo.

I hated some of what i have read over the years, but also enjoyed especially this year. Stood out, above everyone with some ease.

Moodymann
03-12-2012, 04:43
Where did you get this from ? Nothing on the record site.

ThatsWhyWeirChamps
03-12-2012, 04:45

First sentence says he typed it out himself. Commitment.

London ontario
03-12-2012, 04:46
Very well put... Hope we have not heard the last from you

Braes Loyal
brilliant just brilliant

jigster
OUCH !!! and i mean "OUCH" he ain't going quietly but he would do his profession a better service if he were to name names........

ThatsWhyWeirChamps
03-12-2012, 04:48
OUCH !!! and i mean "OUCH" he ain't going quietly but he would do his profession a better service if he were to name names........

I don't think he would be allowed to.

But he's free to do as he wishes now.

And he even hints at it;

"Perhaps in time more will be written about this kind of hack and the rabid desire to help bring down Rangers, a fierce desire that, sadly, was widespread. Actually, I’m sure more will be written about them."

ammego
03-12-2012, 04:49
And there goes about the only journalist willing to give us a fair crack of the whip.

What the f*ck are we left with now?!

BigBoabB
03-12-2012, 04:49

Early edition. I typed it out, Its in the winner pullout ;)

JamesCurranBaxter
03-12-2012, 04:51
Ouch. Tell us how you really feel Traynor.

Sadly his peers, if you can call them that, will just dismiss or ignore the message. Such is their hate driven agenda. It would be great if the media as it is today died right after the SPL.

Moodymann
03-12-2012, 04:54
First sentence says he typed it out himself. Commitment.

Indeed, I was hoping to send this to a few people but couldn't see it on the DR website.

Credit to the OP for posting up.

BearinPerth
03-12-2012, 04:54
The dignity in that piece will be lost on many.

I thank him for writing it & admire his guts to tell it like it really is.

Weak_Hawk
03-12-2012, 04:55
My goodness. Well done Traynor.

Who will stand for the truth now?

(answer, it doesn't matter, for the truth will stand for itself, and will still be standing when all around it has crumbled)

Moodymann
03-12-2012, 04:56
Early edition. I typed it out, Its in the winner pullout ;)

Thanks for posting it up mate.

'nuther Baku Bear
03-12-2012, 04:57
I hope he's prepared for the counter claims from the bitter hacks he refers to, 'cos they will be out to justify their actions. And do it the only way they know how, by lies, denials and deflections.

That piece was a Walter Cronkite moment.

thebluesea
03-12-2012, 05:06
A superb article.

One that was much needed, we now need more of the same and those behind this agenda shamed in public.

Moodymann
03-12-2012, 05:08
Does anyone know who the journo is that referred to the tax verdict as a 'government conspiracy'

It would be very interesting to find out.

jules58
03-12-2012, 05:09
Now what ?? I don't see any tarrier minded journalists quitting. So Traynor get's replaced by another one.
Good article, but a bad day for us.

ThatsWhyWeirChamps
03-12-2012, 05:09
I hope he's prepared for the counter claims from the bitter hacks he refers to, 'cos they will be out to justify their actions. And do it the only way they know how, by lies, denials and deflections.

That piece was a Walter Cronkite moment.

Perhaps that's what he hopes?

Anyone who tries to undermine his article is basically outing themselves as one of those which are written about. Not that we aren't fully aware who they are anyway.

Whitey_22
03-12-2012, 05:10
Does anyone know who the journo is that referred to the tax verdict as a 'government conspiracy'

It would be very interesting to find out.

We may never know, but my money would be on Waddell (assuming it's a Daily Record journo).

Cooperfan
03-12-2012, 05:10
Time now for any fair minded journalist to stand up for his profession and for whats right

....but are there any others?

btl456
03-12-2012, 05:13
a great piece, thanks for posting it.

Ronnie1958
03-12-2012, 05:18
Very well put... Hope we have not heard the last from you

I don't think we have. He is now freelance.:roll:

Thornliebank_Bear
03-12-2012, 05:19
Very good article well said Jim, but the rest of the media will just ignore it, celtics press guys will carry on as usual and the rest of them will be too terrified to say a word.

I wouldnt be surprised if the daily rebel have already decided to bring in clatty in his place.

What about Rangers ? when do we see an end to this nice shite ? the main reason journos are so comfortable attacking the club and behaving like GB is because no one at ibrox ever challenges them.

elgin loyal
03-12-2012, 05:22
Thanks to the OP for posting.

Great piece from JT, will be interesting to see how the likes of Spiers, 3 Names, Thomson, Keevins, Guidi, Spence et al react to it.

Sounds like he's kept a few cards up his sleeve too.

While Scotland's 'journalists' circled like vultures Traynor never relented and reported the facts which is all we can ask.

The worrying thing is what happens next. Perhaps this will be the kick in the baws they needed, I'd imagine there might be a few reporters feeling a little uneasy over what else may come out. All in the name of integrity eh?

Good luck to you James Traynor in whatever you do next.

Sat Nam

Virgil Hilts
03-12-2012, 05:26
...and so goes the last semblance of balance in the Scottish media

Blue Nose Bear
03-12-2012, 05:28
He describes his fellow journalists in Scotland as; Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality.

A reference to 3 names? - There are people out there calling themselves by different names.

Boom...headshot from JT.

Well done Sir.

elgin loyal
03-12-2012, 05:29
He describes his fellow journalists in Scotland as; Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality.

And I for one agree

Humbug
03-12-2012, 05:35
That's got to hurt a few of the rhabid's with typewriters.

govanx
03-12-2012, 05:38
Absolutely brilliant piece Jim Traynor. To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs, and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is to want to sing. This then is a song. I am singing.
Henry Miller
Tropic of Cancer

TNT
03-12-2012, 05:42

Wouldn't grudge him a wee book on his take on things.

You wonder what he has been prevented from putting into print in the last year or so............

And while paying the whatever for a Daily Rhetard to get the objective view - you are also lining the pockets of the likes of Kheevins and Rhennie..........

MccoistAlly
03-12-2012, 05:51
Fair play Jim Traynor. RESPECT

'nuther Baku Bear
03-12-2012, 05:54
Perhaps that's what he hopes?

Anyone who tries to undermine his article is basically outing themselves as one of those which are written about. Not that we aren't fully aware who they are anyway.

I honestly hope you are right; not by strength, by guile ('n' a' that ;) ).

I also hope that this is him proving my suspiciousness of him over the years to be wrong and he is indeed a very principled man. Not that I'm suggesting for one minute that my views on him have any relevance to his decisions! :o

Rowley Birkin
03-12-2012, 05:54
And while paying the whatever for a Daily Rhetard to get the objective view - you are also lining the pockets of the likes of Kheevins and Rhennie..........

FFS are you having a go at the Op for buying the paper?

douzpwa
03-12-2012, 06:00
A tragic loss to what was good journalism sorry to see him go and now we are left with the darkness of the bias prejudiced sewer rats! :(

GF4
03-12-2012, 06:04
The man has just shown Scottish football the true meaning of the word integrity.

wacaktb
03-12-2012, 06:04
wow, that is a ****ing scathing article, holds no punches whatsoever.
all the best to him.

gertilidie
03-12-2012, 06:10
I don't think he would be allowed to.

But he's free to do as he wishes now.

And he even hints at it;

"Perhaps in time more will be written about this kind of hack and the rabid desire to help bring down Rangers, a fierce desire that, sadly, was widespread. Actually, I’m sure more will be written about them."

A proper best seller, warts and all style would unravel the hatred shown..It's the only way and I hope he's already written it

Mid East Bear
03-12-2012, 06:13
Let's hope that, after going out like this, he documents it all in a book with detail to out all these morons with typewriters.

It would be a No 1 - in Scotland at least, and might......just might see justice being served.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii557/kenlear/RFCCheated_zpsd616c138.jpg

bigkahunarab
03-12-2012, 06:25
I had hoped he'd remain until the shambles is done......I now see a clear field for the spineless to act.

Rowley Birkin
03-12-2012, 06:26
A proper best seller, warts and all style would unravel the hatred shown..It's the only way and I hope he's already written it

it would akin to a nuclear bomb going off for this compliant mhedia and may even wake up those down south

SpongebobSquarePass
03-12-2012, 06:26
When I first joined this BB Traynor was getting it in the neck from most on here.

But when the chips were down he was objective and fair.

Look forward to your book Jim.

Dalriadager
03-12-2012, 06:33
Absolutely brilliant from him, an excellent swan song!

Altogether_now
03-12-2012, 06:37
As said who does that leave. Always though Daryl king wasn't the worst but he's going to live in America

corkie
03-12-2012, 06:52

But that’s not the bit that should worry you. They are calling themselves journalists.

Head shot to Phil 3 names .

Spyro
03-12-2012, 06:58
It seems strange reading a piece from a neutral that wouldn't look out of place in a Rangers fanzine.

An impartial journalist is rare these days.

It's obvious what happens to those that are impartial and call it as they see it.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing with the rest of your days Mr. Traynor, I've not always liked what you have written but appreciate someone having the guts to tell it how it is, and I commend you for putting your career on the line for this, even if it is a case of going out with a bang.

TNT
03-12-2012, 07:01
FFS are you having a go at the Op for buying the paper?

No, I wasn't.

cooperno.7
03-12-2012, 07:07
That's a fantastic article.

Good luck, Jim. You may have made my blood boil in the past, but you're one of the only journalists(and I use that term loosely) that have acted with integrity and dignity over the last year or so. It's a pity that all we are left with is bitter and twisted hasbeens.

noodles
03-12-2012, 07:12
A fascinating piece.
I look forward to the further naming of the haters as Traynor alludes there is more to be written about them.
Cap doffed for his journalistic INTEGRITY.

DadoPrso42
03-12-2012, 07:14
I've never liked Traynor or his work, but this is a superb way to sign off his journalism career.

britain
03-12-2012, 07:20
Wow. Some last column and he sure doesn't miss with it.

Cheers Jim Traynor for that.

hongkongdonkey
03-12-2012, 07:24
Wow, just wow.

Lamh Dearg
03-12-2012, 07:26
"Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality."

I wonder how Keevins and co would react to this quote? perhaps someone might like to ask him?

Not only Keevins, surely he's referring to 95% of the so called sports journalists in this part of the country?

Moses Brox
03-12-2012, 07:28
Gutted he's going.

bear all
03-12-2012, 07:29
Dolts. The result is everything. If any of the Rangers Tax Case bloggers are trained lawyers, would you want them to defend you in a court of law ?

I wonder if Jim knows who this lawyer could be.:roll:

Brigton9
03-12-2012, 07:30
I live overseas and obviously don't buy any rhags in Scotland. Hopefully any Gers fans don't either. Get your news from BBC England or CNN and subscribe to RangersTV. Tip of the hat to Traynor for his bravery though.

weetam3106
03-12-2012, 07:31
Need the source please.

If true this is sad, also who now will offer our side and the right side with facts to counter the anti rangers agendas?

gee203
03-12-2012, 07:32
I look forward to reading his independant blog.

Well he can't leave it at that, can he?

portybear
03-12-2012, 07:34
One thing for sure...
He kept his best till last. There will be a few frothing at the mouth eating breakfast this morning, that's for sure.

Hammerinho
03-12-2012, 07:34
Let's hope he writes a book.

Rowley Birkin
03-12-2012, 07:36
No, I wasn't.

oh my apologies
have a good day sir!

willie w
03-12-2012, 07:40
Cosgrove,Thomson,Spence,Dellahunt,Gordon,Walker,Cu lly,and a few others will be squirming.

'nuther Baku Bear
03-12-2012, 07:41
I live overseas and obviously don't buy any rhags in Scotland. Hopefully any Gers fans don't either. Get your news from BBC England or CNN and subscribe to RangersTV. Tip of the hat to Traynor for his bravery though.

No no no!

Last night they showed a snippet about Scotland - in the context of us being one of the break away states that is becoming more and more common in Europe - and the cultural images shown was the Great Unwashed in all their glory in green and grey. :eek: Added to that they see fit to employ Pierce Morgan! It's going to be bad enough without the likes of Traynor so, please, don't hold that rag-of-the-airways as some sort of standard.

baku_bear
03-12-2012, 07:42
He shoots.......he scores!! :)
Well in JT

bloo
03-12-2012, 07:46
Well said mr traynor. hope we hear from you again .

Big D
03-12-2012, 07:46
Didn't agree with everything Traynor wrote over the years, far from it, but that's how it should be. I don't expect our journalists to fawn over our club and never criticise it. I do expect them however, to be balanced and give us a fair crack of the whip. On the whole Traynor did that.

I look forward to the book - much more than some some of his former colleagues will be!

Discodale
03-12-2012, 07:47
He's hit the nail on the head repeatedly in the last few weeks. Hopefully someone else will take up the baton.

shamrockhandandcrown
03-12-2012, 07:48
Sorry , I will never forget some of the things traynor wrote about us. Good article, but still a ****

geo1667
Well said mr traynor,i hope there is more to come.

saki2
Tremendous article - what decent journalists are left?

Bouncy
03-12-2012, 07:54
As a Club we stood on the precipice of oblivion and faced up to it's demons and now we are striding back to greatness with our club intact.

looking back at that precipice I can see a fair few @rsehole 'journalists' falling down it..spiers, cosgrove, keevins, Phil three daft names...The knob whose daughter must be crying at the apt name of his inaccurate book, on a club he hates but [Irony] is it's also his only source of written income....etc...etc

Good luck Mr Traynor, It's not only titles that are tainted in this country as I am sure you know.

deedle
03-12-2012, 07:54
No punches pulled by Traynor there.

He was involved in a murky and declining 'profession' which lost all sense of perspective.

It is interesting that he ponders where all this hatred came from.

We aren't left with too many journos worth listening to - Richard Wilson of the Herald is perhaps the only one.

As for the Record, the revelations about Rennie mean that we really should pressurise the few remaining Rangers fans who read it to desist.

Jim Traynor was never a Rangers fan. In fact, he admitted to going to Parkhead back in the 60s.

The Big Cheese
03-12-2012, 08:06
It'll be even more of a free for all on us now.

KingBrian
03-12-2012, 08:07
A good piece by the an who has been most balanced throughout our contrived troubles. Let's hope he finds another platform to begin to tell us more about what he knows about who.

The Big Cheese
03-12-2012, 08:10
Sorry , I will never forget some of the things traynor wrote about us. Good article, but still a ****

Do you wake up in a rage every morning?

Nobody's perfect but credit where credit is due surely?

hoggle
03-12-2012, 08:10
And still there will be Guys in the Media saying that he wasn't talking about them......

mtvernonloyal
03-12-2012, 08:11
Well done jim traynor

Billyglasgow63
03-12-2012, 08:11
From a platform of integrity and morality hopefully Jim traynor will now tear apart the scumbags who have tried to kill our club. in days gone by his links with SDM annoyed me maybe now he can work alongside the ex custodian of our great club and ensure many of these bile filled creatures end up in the dock.

Hugh G Rection
03-12-2012, 08:15
:mad:What the heck is going on back in Scotland?

All the press and BBC are now but mere mouth-pieces of a virulent Republican -Nationalist propaganda machine where the majority Scots and our culture & religion are openly derided and denigrated; where the joke of a mhedia hang on every bigoted word of a foreign Irish Cardinal as if it came down on high from Moses himself and the most bigoted piece of s,hit that ever floated across the water is lauded as some kind of hero *** confused::confused:

Surely The Record is now finished-it was always going down anyway but this is the coup de grace delivered so eloquently by Traynor-his finest hour. a quick demise beckons along with the jokers who pretend to be sports journalists but lack JT's integrity and have been wilfully complicit in trying to kill RFC-they deserve no sympathy:mad:

comfie
03-12-2012, 08:20
No punches pulled by Traynor there.

He was involved in a murky and declining 'profession' which lost all sense of perspective.

It is interesting that he ponders where all this hatred came from.

We aren't left with too many journos worth listening to - Richard Wilson of the Herald is perhaps the only one.

As for the Record, the revelations about Rennie mean that we really should pressurise the few remaining Rangers fans who read it to desist.

Jim Traynor was never a Rangers fan. In fact, he admitted to going to Parkhead back in the 60s.

Not sure of the benefits of boycotting the paper, we need to start stating our case.
It has been proven that these journalists pander to their readers, so,if we read more and complain more we might get more balanced views.

Traynor is an Airdrie fan

OrigTommy
03-12-2012, 08:20
He's hit the nail on the head repeatedly in the last few weeks. Hopefully someone else will take up the baton.

I see what you did there and reckon your post sounds very suspect if the double meaning was intentional.

sandy2478
03-12-2012, 08:22
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-traynor-why-this-is-my-last-ever-newspaper-1470050

OrigTommy
03-12-2012, 08:23
Good article by Traynor. Implies that a book is on the way.

Will he remain on the BBC with his colleagues Gordon, Cosgrove and Spence? Arguably this station is the one that has revelled in our last year the most.

I'd love him to take a few of the journos to task there before he calls it a day.

Govanrear4JH
Well said Jim Traynor, I think we owe you big time.

Draag
As the Americans would say, wow just wow.

comfie
03-12-2012, 08:24
The online edition

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-traynor-why-this-is-my-last-ever-newspaper-1470050

IT was never a job. More of an absolute joy, if truth be told.

But all good things come to an end and when they do, it’s important to end with some good things.

When writing this, my final newspaper column, the memories come flooding in. When the time comes to change direction and move on, let the best of those memories rush from every corner of your mind and keep the worst of them locked away.

If people who have abused you because of their own bigoted and narrow-minded ways, or events that might have saddened you deeply, are allowed light and oxygen you let them tarnish and blacken what you’ve done and achieved.

For instance, this column – the final one after 37 years in newspapers – could bang on about supporters who have spat on my coats and jackets, thrown all sorts of insults and occasionally bricks and bottles. But that would demean everything.

I could name managers, players, club directors and administrators who, because the truth can hurt, have wished me all kinds of harm and misfortune. But neither they nor their words mattered. They damaged and shamed only themselves.

So from Andre Agassi (tennis is such a wonderful sport) to Zinedine Zidane (football really is a beautiful game despite the money grabbers and crooks), it has been amazing. It’s been a blast. Uplifting but also a deeply humbling and, at times, disturbing journey.

When Scotland were in Bucharest to play a European Championship qualifying tie against Romania, a couple of years after that madman Nicolae Ceausescu had been overthrown by revolution, players broke down. So too did supporters.

It was 1991 and the horrors of the Romanian orphan crisis were becoming clearer to the outside world.

It was heartbreaking. Even the most hardened cynical hacks cried at the sight of swarms of hungry, distraught children wandering the streets begging for morsels.

I know I said the bad memories should be locked away but those kids, who snatched all the money we could muster as though we were making them instant millionaires, can never be forgotten.

Strangely, another memory also concerns tears. But this time they came from a Brazilian great sitting right in the middle of Avenue Foch in Paris at the start of the 1998 World Cup finals.

Nilton Santos was there with Pele, Carlos Alberto and another great, Alfredo di Stefano, who was claimed by both Argentina and Spain.

I was there because I’d had a say in selecting the team of the 20th century – just for the Record that team was: Lev Yashin, Carlos, Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Santos; Johan Cruyff, Di Stefano, Michel Platini; Garrincha, Pele and Diego Maradona. Then I sat with Pele, Santos and Di Stefano listening to their tales.

It was fascinating, even when Santos, who had been a father figure to the deeply troubled Garrincha, wept as he spoke of the tormented genius and his final tragic years.

But there were loads of laughs with the greats of the people’s game to giants of other sports. Heroic characters such as Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, Jack Nicklaus, Seve Ballesteros, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, Bjorn Borg, Rod Laver, Ilie Nastase, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe (did I mention tennis is a wonderful sport?), Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Mark McGwire (baseball is such an hypnotic and simply beautiful sport, maybe even the best) and the 49ers’ Jerry Rice.

There are just too many to list. But it’s been a privilege to have seen them in the flesh and even under the threat of extreme torture, such as being forced to listen to recordings of SFA/SPL meetings, I could never say my job has been anything like work. It’s been a pleasure.

Until recently.

Unfortunately, there has been the last twisted and bitter year during which Scottish football, unable to deal with the Rangers crisis in a civilised manner, has tried to tear itself apart. All in the name of sporting integrity, of course.

Actually, for the last couple of years some of the most bilious types have been allowed to emerge from the shadows and spew invective that sadly became regarded as fact, even though what they were saying and writing wasn’t even close to being definitive. Or honest. Overnight all sorts of anonymous bloggers became experts. These champions of decency had all the answers. They knew better than anyone else. They said over and over Rangers would be done for cheating the tax man.

They were wrong, the Rangers Tax Case blog in particular. Yet he/her/they stated: “This blog has been accurate on all of the major points of the case except the one that matters most to date – the FTT (First-tier Tax Tribunal) outcome”.

Excuse me? Accurate on all the major points except the bit that matters most. And that’s all right is it?

That’s a bit like a team manager saying after a defeat: “Hold on, I picked the right team and I believe my tactics were correct. So the result doesn’t really matter.”

Dolts. The result is everything. If any of the Rangers Tax Case bloggers are trained lawyers, would you want them to defend you in a court of law?

Even now so many – and I include some fellow journalists – still cannot bring themselves to accept Rangers did not cheat the tax man by using EBTs.

One journalist declared it to be “a government conspiracy” when he heard the ruling in Rangers’ favour.

Perhaps in time more will be written about this kind of hack and the rabid desire to help bring down Rangers, a fierce desire that, sadly, was widespread. Actually, I’m sure more will be written about them.

Just when did they become consumed by such eye-popping rage? Was it always there, a dormant fury against Rangers and their fans, who deserve enormous credit for having saved their club, just waiting for the catalyst?

Now they can’t help themselves. They can’t stop foaming at the mouth and we can be sure their determination to have titles stripped will go into overdrive.

They need some kind of victory or they might explode and that would be terribly messy. All that bile all over the walls and streets.

Unfortunately reason was never allowed to be a player in this grotesque game, which quickly became dominated mostly by incoherent imbeciles fuelled by all that hatred.

And let’s not forget how some with telly platforms were prompted by those bloggers and ill-informed commentators. Stupidly they allowed themselves to be duped by supporters with dangerous agendas hidden under the banner of integrity.

And the result? Some of the most shallow and infantile drivel ever written. These egotists are so into
themselves they’ve no regard for the safety or wellbeing of those about whom they have written some awful and completely inaccurate pieces.

Despicable, pathetic little creatures craving some kind of recognition but lacking in conscience and morality.

I’m so sorry they’ve had to be thrown up into the same piece as some of the true greats and gentlemen of world sport.

However, that’s it. My work here is done and I’m glad – but just for the record, I’ve not been sacked or made redundant. I was asked to remain but my conscience won’t allow me to stay in our profession.

The kind of journalism needed by the country, never mind sport, no longer exists in enough of the media outlets.

But as I’ve said, the good memories of all those sporting greats will always outweigh the negatives, especially those that bubbled to the surface throughout this last year.

Thanks to sport’s real heroes I’ve had a ball and thank you for reading while I was with The Herald, the Daily Express and the Daily Record.

DEXAVIA
03-12-2012, 08:25
I am looking forward to reading his book.

deedle
03-12-2012, 08:26
Not sure of the benefits of boycotting the paper, we need to start stating our case.
It has been proven that these journalists pander to their readers, so,if we read more and complain more we might get more balanced views.

Traynor is an Airdrie fan

...and how exactly do we start 'stating our case'?

The Record has made its bed - let it lie in it.

BC52
03-12-2012, 08:27
Great piece. He doesn't miss anyone here.

braeside58
03-12-2012, 08:28
Interesting read indeed.

I wish him well whatever he decides to do.

dsrfcno1
03-12-2012, 08:28
That has to go down as the best article i have read to date.

kevfromkent
03-12-2012, 08:29
it's really disappointed me, especially with the green light given to them with the FTT verdict, just how spineless his peers within the scottish press are - some like Alexander in the sunday times still clinging onto the hope that hmrc will appeal the decision, just shows how desperate they are to see their scathing lies vindicated. well done JT for having the guts and integrity to say it as it is.

Castletownloyal
03-12-2012, 08:30

Who will be buying Jims Book when it comes out then?

bustergonad
03-12-2012, 08:31
wish he had named names

Hope he starts a blog

Katiebluebelle
03-12-2012, 08:33
wonder what 'Candid Cameron' would have thought of that? Hopefully he'll be applauding from heaven above. Well done Mr Traynor and good luck to you.

buster
03-12-2012, 08:35
Good piece from Traynor which starkly spells out some untold truths in print for the first time.
He enjoys sticking the knife in because he was the journalist who received most stick from the Celtic minded during this saga.

With the rumours that he may take on a job with Rangers I´d caution against seeing him as a latter day saint whose word is gospel.

He was also SDM´s most important journalistic poodle in keeping us under a spell. He worked for Murray and against the supports interests.

But today and of late, credit where credit is due.

franker
Traynor did not disappoint with his final column.

We can only hope that he follows this up and names names.

" it’s been a privilege to have seen them in the flesh and even under the threat of extreme torture, such as being forced to listen to recordings of SFA/SPL meetings"

big poppa
all these years we have been stating the media is full of hate filled liars with an agenda to do us over.

thanks for the conformation jim.

and good luck.

lone_ranger
03-12-2012, 08:36
Hope Traynor now follows this up with some hard evidence by way of a book. My guess is those whom he referring to will strike first and it will be a character assination of Traynor

NATERFC1
03-12-2012, 08:41
Great piece by a great journalist imo.

The Gooner
If he brings a book out that names the names that we largely already know it could make him a millionaire.

'nuther Baku Bear
What that reminded me of was the old joke on the hypochondriac's tombstone "See, I told you I was ill."

See, I knew we were't being paranoid. :)

ontheline
03-12-2012, 08:42
The kind of journalism needed by the country, never mind sport, no longer exists in enough of the media outlets.

and so say all of us

Bazoo
03-12-2012, 08:42
name names please

superally54
03-12-2012, 08:44
Simply fantastic from Traynor.

Sadly though, for us, he is gone now and we are left to deal with the types of 'journos' that he talks about in his piece.

Wily 7
03-12-2012, 08:45
Tell us the whole truth Jim!.

Hugh G Rection
03-12-2012, 08:47
If he brings a book out that names the names that we largely already know it could make him a millionaire.

Especially as being Minty's favoured journo he will be given acess to confidential info.:ninja: OK this will be primarily to protect and reddem SDM but there is only upside for RFC and as others have said he knows more than most where the bodies are buried.

The Record is now finished so depending on what severance package JT has negotiated this could be an opportune time to leave The Titanic iAKA the Scottish press behind.

Rt. Hon. Bearman
03-12-2012, 08:50
The last honest journalist has just left.

Please turn out the lights.

P.S. Don't stay quiet for too long, Jim. Journalism needs you.

livi_true_blue
03-12-2012, 08:50
those bloggers and ill-informed commentators. Stupidly they allowed themselves to be duped by supporters with dangerous agendas hidden under the banner of integrity.

Has to be Spiers.

Rowley Birkin
03-12-2012, 08:51
A cracking piece,I never thought I would say this a couple of years ago,but Jim,I will miss you,you became the truth in a fog of lies and deceit,you never put your leanings to the front,you reported it as it was,and you will be better thought of for that by the people who matter most,the true fans,the fans who know injustice and lies when they see it,like yourself,so Jim enjoy your retirement,or whatever you do.

he's not bob woodward mate
yes he hasnt been in liewells pocket but he has hardly outed anyone yet he is just doing what at least in part what no other journo in this backwater is doing and not wanting rangers assigned to the history books but he is no friend of rangers

Rt. Hon. Bearman
03-12-2012, 08:53
wish he had named names

Hope he starts a blog

Do you think Liewell's bitch Rennie, the editor at the DR, would allow him to do that?

Let's remember that the RTC blogger, whom Traynor rips apart in this column, is the same RTC blogger who had Rennie wrapped around his little finger.

Have a look at the second and third tweets here.

https://twitter.com/AllanRennie1

Sickening

No doubt Rennie allowed this column to be published through gritted teeth.

calderbear
03-12-2012, 08:53
wonder what 'Candid Cameron' would have thought of that? Hopefully he'll be applauding from heaven above. Well done Mr Traynor and good luck to you.

'Candid Cameron' will have a copy of the story tucked away in his top drawer.;)
Older readers will get that joke.:p

s_mac
03-12-2012, 08:58
one of the few, prepared to give us the benefit of the doubt.

his honesty will be missed.

Daddy_Bear07
03-12-2012, 08:59
Simply fantastic from Traynor.

Sadly though, for us, he is gone now and we are left to deal with the types of 'journos' that he talks about in his piece.

We are about to enter the biggest and most important fight in our entire history!

Just wait and see the lies, bile and bigotry that are about to hit the club on the coming weeks and months!

Move on? These ****s are about to set about burying us for good and sadly we may have no one big enough to fight our corner !

Bearfaced
03-12-2012, 09:01
Do you think Liewell's bitch Rennie, the editor at the DR, would allow him to do that?

Let's remember that the RTC blogger, whom Traynor rips apart in this column, is the same RTC blogger who had Rennie wrapped around his little finger.

Sickening

according to Bill McMordo Rennies actions are the reason,Taynor called it a day

http://billmcmurdo.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/traynor-off-the-record/

BordersBear
03-12-2012, 09:04
This taken alongside Bill McMurdos most recent blog shows whatever we are up against. The big story shoud be why the Stokes PIRA story was pulled.

Traynor frustrated me as he always knew what buttons to push in regard to them and us. He knew his job and also worked to an agenda but it was his agenda. I suppose he did not want to no longer be led a merry jig by the "establishment" clubs propaganda machine.

The agenda was to once an for all finish Rangers and they very nearly did.

duds58
03-12-2012, 09:04
And there goes about the only journalist willing to give us a fair crack of the whip.

exactly that was my first response, and when you digest that thought dearie me what a ****ed up wee country I now stay in.

wokster
03-12-2012, 09:07
I live in Oz, so obviously I cannot buy the DR, but if there is any truth in the Bill McMurdo blog, then no Rangers fan should ever purchase this rag again.

bustergonad

Sickening

saw the tweets on another thread

unreal

mreblue

worth a call into a radio station?

munkoomccoist
03-12-2012, 09:16
I'd really love him to release a book. He sounds as though he could tell a tale or two.

bigy
03-12-2012, 09:24
Is he still doing the BBC radio phone in?

bellasboy
03-12-2012, 09:26
Thats how to face your final curtain, straight to the point Boom! Well done JT

averagebear
03-12-2012, 09:28
Wow just wow!

The_Gub
03-12-2012, 09:30
Rangers fans have been saying for years on decades, that journalism in this country is/has been fecked up by a certain community.

Now this ratbag, who was happy to earn a decent living back through all these years, is getting a backslap?

You can feck right off with that idea.

pennyblack
03-12-2012, 09:32
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1459099_o.gif

Rowley Birkin
03-12-2012, 09:34
i take it we shall all be listening in to clyde tonight :D

Aunty Christ
03-12-2012, 09:34
worth a call into a radio station?

Yes indeed and my 'friend' uncle George would have obliged had he not left the country. Perhaps someone else might like to try. If they do I'd advise calling to offer reasons why Celtic fans didn't manage along to the Arbroath game. Chritmas shopping sounds like one they might swallow.

Aunty Christ
03-12-2012, 09:38
We are about to enter the biggest and most important fight in our entire history!

Just wait and see the lies, bile and bigotry that are about to hit the club on the coming weeks and months!

Move on? These ****s are about to set about burying us for good and sadly we may have no one big enough to fight our corner !

Its a good job we have a fighting fund or is that being kept for a rainy day?:confused:

Spit the Dog
03-12-2012, 09:39
I totally agree with what he says.

However.......A headshot this isn't. Glancing wound is more like it.

Sad fact is that most non Rangers people will not join the dots. He doesn't go far enough. His target audience shouldn't be us, who already know what he is saying.

The target audience should be neutrals, people south of the border. That is how you stir up the shitstorm and get these vile creatures and their masters arses twitching.

You want to hurt the filth and all their rabid supporters. Then you need to start hurting them outside of Scotland. Their agenda is to get to the EPL. Make the English for example see exactly what they are like. They will be going nowhere then.

A headshot would have been naming names. Let's have it straight; who has said what? Who has been bigoted and spouted bile against us? Name these criminals!

Also why wait until you leave or the run up to you leaving before you start to rock the boat?

This reminds me of all those Generals in the British Army, who when in charge never mention any problems with equipment, lack of resources etc, but once out of the job, they start to 'raise their concerns'.

Great sentiments and well written - but too little too late for me

Duke
03-12-2012, 09:41
If anyone has a hard copy of this article could they scan it and post it please.

Cody
03-12-2012, 09:44
The second half of that piece was bitterly brilliant.

"Perhaps in time more will be written about this kind of hack and the rabid desire to help bring down Rangers, a fierce desire that, sadly, was widespread. Actually, I’m sure more will be written about them".

Got to be at least a blog and probably a book coming out.

jcdno1
03-12-2012, 09:44
And with that, Traynor whom at times has shown no love for Rangers, has admitted there is a deep rooted bigoted hatred of Rangers within the journalistic community.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 09:45
Please bring out a book Traynor.

I'd love to read some names mentioned.

Porto Loyal
03-12-2012, 09:46
Traynor had it in his original DR contract that no-one could edit his columns - looks like that stayed to the last.

KingWoody45

Bang on Mr Traynor

eleventh floor
Has he been allowed to write this in the record? That surprises me

DamsideBear
03-12-2012, 09:48
Checkmate .

McRod
03-12-2012, 09:49
Rangers fans have been saying for years on decades, that journalism in this country is/has been fecked up by a certain community.

Now this ratbag, who was happy to earn a decent living back through all these years, is getting a backslap?

He`s sacraficed that decent living though.

He could have sat happily on his large arse meandering along and going with the flow but he`s chose not to.

Surely Gub, even you can appreciate his small sacrafice.

He is without a doubt the last proper journalist in the mainstream media and now we will no longer read him.

Thats bad news in my opinion.

inthejuju
03-12-2012, 09:49
A fantastic piece by Traynor.

Dickie69
03-12-2012, 09:52
That reads like the James Traynor of old, written with insight and dignity, lets watch the rest of the so called journalists respond to this article.

Well written Jim, sad to see you go

The_Gub
03-12-2012, 09:52
He`s sacraficed that decent living though.

He could have sat happily on his large arse meandering along and going with the flow but he`s chose not to.

Surely Gub, even you can appreciate his small sacrafice.

He is without a doubt the last proper journalist in the mainstream media and now we will no longer read him.

Thats bad news in my opinion.

Are you seriously suggesting he's resigning because of the all prevailing anti Rangers press he has made a good living out of?

Are you serious?

rabkebab
03-12-2012, 09:55
Boom!! Headshot!!

A man with a great deal of dignity!

Top_Cat
03-12-2012, 09:55
Surprised he's been allowed to publish that, what's the catch?

Clydebank_Ger_1980
03-12-2012, 09:56
I'm savouring that piece of writing. It will be the first and last time the rhags will allow anything like it to be written.

Haven't seen eye to eye with Traynor over the years but he must be commended for his reporting during our woes. Not only was he balanced he has exposed the corrupt core of the media.

Next time we see Jim write I think a lot more will be revealed with some jounro's being revealed as the Rangers haters that they are.

A Leggo style blog from Traynor would pretty much be a must read.

McRod
03-12-2012, 09:58
Are you seriously suggesting he's resigning because of the all prevailing anti Rangers press he has made a good living out of?

Are you serious?

I`ve never read him lie before.

His recent form leads me to suggest he is more often than not, correct.

His final colum suggests this is the major reason if maybe not the only reason for calling it a day.

He uses adjectives to describe our enemies in a similar although maybe more controlled way as you do.

We need journalists like Traynor. He is a tremendous loss.

Who takes over the matle now Gub? You perhaps?

sheabo
03-12-2012, 10:02
I'll look forward to the book

Keyser_Soze
03-12-2012, 10:04
Great piece by Traynor, well said.

Enough reasons never to buy the rhags.

lizmac
03-12-2012, 10:06
I'd really love him to release a book. He sounds as though he could tell a tale or two.

That's what I thought he would do. Everything he is not saying now will be in .book

blackyboy
03-12-2012, 10:09

[/B]

I like this particular wee dig..

Thanks to OP for taking the time to type this out.

weebear
03-12-2012, 10:10
"There are people out there calling themselves by different names.

But that’s not the bit that should worry you. They are calling themselves journalists"

Phil Three-Names your card is marked............again.

Commanchie
03-12-2012, 10:10
Well done to him.Hope he keeps fighting our corner via the radio.

Finbar OFfended
03-12-2012, 10:11

Are you serious?

I would suggest, with the greatest of respect to you that the anti rangers stuff may have been a reason, if ever so microscopic but that the main reason may have been ego driven if the Rennie pulling the anthony stokes story Bill McMurdo wrote about was/is true.

It should neve be forgotten however what Traynor wrote about rangers fans deserving a beating from cops in Pamplona

'nuther Baku Bear
03-12-2012, 10:12
Well done to him.Hope he keeps fighting our corner via the radio.

He never fights our corner but I agree that he needs to keep attacking the hypocrites.

Hendrie
03-12-2012, 10:13
Good articles and a warning shot that theres more of this to come, Dr Reids dirty pr campaign will continue.

stayfor90mins
03-12-2012, 10:15

A parting shot by Traynor here, but why has he left it so late, why not expose this earlier...

gilliangers
03-12-2012, 10:16
WOW!

good piece BOOM! there's yer dinner lol

Strickland Banks
03-12-2012, 10:16
He told the Editor Rennie that the Stokes story should have been front page, but It was not even printed, that was final straw

GodStruth
03-12-2012, 10:18
How many years ago did our 'Lawwell's media monkeys' banner appear? 5? 6?

We knew it back then - it has grown arms and legs since. The only answer is a direct boycott of these newspapers (I would argue the Sun, the Record, the Scotsman and the Herald)

I'd love to see the Trust take the lead in organising this

buster
03-12-2012, 10:23

Are you serious?

I´m with you on this.

JT has written a good piece and of late has been batting for our cause, partly because it was also in his personal interests.

Traynor has received a going over from the Celtic side of the new media which in recent times has included pretty much all clubs bar Rangers.

He´s ramming humble pie down the throats of those who couldn´t shut-up about succulent lamb, the phrase that was stamped on Traynors ample posterior. :D

But don´t forget the succulent lamb phrase came about because of toadying up to SDM, which did us great harm.

Gardy Loyal
03-12-2012, 10:24
Fair play to him.

The only one out of them all with even a shred of integrity.

summit
03-12-2012, 10:25
Well done Jim Traynor. Superb article !

With Darryl King leaving as well, there is going to be a lack of balanced articles when it comes to Rangers.

JohnK1972
03-12-2012, 10:27

I, for one, hope he does write a book and names the names of all the bigoted tossers who have been writing a load of shyte designed to finish off the Rangers for their own twisted agendas.

And if he's leaving the mainstream press (or whatever is left of it in Scotland) I hope he starts his own blog and his first effort is to name names. Get it done Traynor. And you can start with that nest of snakes at BBC Scotland.

theweeman
There are people out there calling themselves by different names

Very intriguing indeed.

buster
Well done Jim Traynor. Superb article !

With Darryl King leaving as well, there is going to be a lack of balanced articles when it comes to Rangers.

Didn´t hear about DK leaving.

Can you expand please.

Blue 9
03-12-2012, 10:28
Finish the job then

McRod
03-12-2012, 10:29
It should neve be forgotten however what Traynor wrote about rangers fans deserving a beating from cops in Pamplona

A sentence that no Rangers fan should ever forget and an appauling comment from Traynor. Especially in the following days when images of pensioners with blood streaming from batton wounds to their heads surfaced.

Traynor could have joined the band wagon on this back of this backlash from Rangers supporters.

The easy, cosy and finanacially rewarding route for him would have been to join in with the BBC Sportsound Mantra and demonise Rangers at every opportunity. Spence, Gordon, Young etc jumped at the chance and prosepr from it. Spence was lapdog before his Rangers hating performances got him more and more air time.

It would also have been easy for Traynor to flavour his colums with anti-Rangers spices but again, he was the sole voice in the published press who simply told the truth. He chose prefessionalism, dignity andintegrity in reporting the truth.

I don`t know how much a journalist makes. I don`t think they can retire that much sooner than the average hard worker but in this day and age where recession bites at every corner, it takes a degree of courage to throw away a healthy salary on point of prinicipal. It also takes a degree of courage to go against the grain of 99% of your peers in the press.

i`m genuinely concerned who`s voice or columns will take his place. Who will give an unbiased and accurate account of us now?.

Our bloggers are doing a great job but as much as we are in the digital age, i can think of at least 5 members of my family who don't look at PC`s never mind read blogs. They still read newspapers. They are too long in the tooth to change now.

Who is going to reach them with the truth?.

greenock rangers man
03-12-2012, 10:30
I would suggest, with the greatest of respect to you that the anti rangers stuff may have been a reason, if ever so microscopic but that the main reason may have been ego driven if the Rennie pulling the anthony stokes story Bill McMurdo wrote about was/is true.

Don't kid yourself. There have been times when Rangers fans have disgraced themselves and the Club. You can hardly blame Traynor for stating what he saw.

summit
03-12-2012, 10:33
Didn´t hear about DK leaving.

Can you expand please.

Apparently he is moving to the USA.

AD bear
03-12-2012, 10:35
Watch the vultures now tear him apart in their columns

Bearwood Bear
03-12-2012, 10:35
I´m with you on this.

JT has written a good piece and of late has been batting for our cause, partly because it was also in his personal interests.

Traynor has received a going over from the Celtic side of the new media which in recent times has included pretty much all clubs bar Rangers.

He´s ramming humble pie down the throats of those who couldn´t shut-up about succulent lamb, the phrase that was stamped on Traynors ample posterior. :D

But don´t forget the succulent lamb phrase came about because of toadying up to SDM, which did us great harm.

Good post.

We've been so starved of even-handed or objective covereage that this looks like manna, when in fact it's just a confirmation of what many of us think - that Scottish sporting journalism is not only amongst the worst on the planet but dominated by one club and their apologists.

gboigloyalist
03-12-2012, 10:38
Wow, what an article.

Bearwood Bear
Don't kid yourself. There have been times when Rangers fans have disgraced themselves and the Club. You can hardly blame Traynor for stating what he saw.

Go and f**k yourself.

Tranynor said that innocent people, including women, children and pensioners, deserved a doing from fascist para-militaries in Spanish police uniforms.

jicre
He took his time with his expose!

bearfaecumbernauld
He's defo left the Rebel to release a book. Certainty.

If he unleashes the truth behind scum in the mhedia the book will be top of the charts.

I hope he unmasks the Rangers haters in public.

My only concern is that he has maintained his role at Penn State TV and Radio which will stop him outing the haters within the publicly funded organisation.

He should resign this post too and write the truth about the haters at Pacific Quay CSC.

buster
03-12-2012, 10:39
Apparently he is moving to the USA.

Cheer´s Summit !

Fed-up with Scotland and it´s ways ??
You couldn´t blame him if that were the case.

Johnnylogie
03-12-2012, 10:40
Welcome aboard JT ... The tide is turning and very soon we shall need a much bigger boat.

Finbar OFfended
03-12-2012, 10:41

Disgraced our club enough to be beaten to a bloody pulp by Spanish cops? Why don't you **** off back to the muddleboard Declan

buster
03-12-2012, 10:42
Good post.

We've been so starved of even-handed or objective covereage that this looks like manna, when in fact it's just a confirmation of what many of us think - that Scottish sporting journalism is not only amongst the worst on the planet but dominated by one club and their apologists.

Objective coverage and Scottish football journalism go together like Ross Tokely and the Real Madrid starting XI.

jdm1873
03-12-2012, 10:43
Well done Traynor. You have not missed anyone with that article.

PartickGer
Only downside is that you can't shame the shameless, it's in their DNA.

bluebaz
Jesus wept, that is some article.

I've not been a big fan of Traynor over the years. I've disagreed with a lot of what he has written or said, but in fairness I see the world through blue-tinted specs, we all do.

That being said, he was the only hack who came through the tax case fiasco with any credibility and that article is possible the most vitriolic attack I have seen on the Scottish Press in the Scottish Press.

Hats off to you Mr Traynor.

marlborough1650
03-12-2012, 10:44
I´m with you on this.

Traynor claimed on Radio Scotland that, in fact, he had payed, with his own card, for the "succulent lamb", a phrase actually coined by the fenians' fool, Speirs, who had himself enjoyed the scoff, Scot free, as one might expect.
Of course, the kerrydale kitchenmeisters replaced succulent lamb with Irish Stew, made with the rankest mutton, several years ago.

Earl of Leven
03-12-2012, 10:45
The saddest aspect is that it confirms what we all knew to be true.....that the football media in Scotland barely deserve the title 'journalist' and that to flourish within its shallow waters you have to be Celtic-minded or at a push anti-Rangers.

How did we let it come to this as a support?

I hope more than a few 'turn the cheek' disciples finally see the light, realise that Murray was wrong and take some action...

davemac60
03-12-2012, 10:46
Very good piece and seems to be from the heart and TRUTHFUL as well

baheiduk
03-12-2012, 10:49
superb piece by J.T, I thank you for your honesty and professionalism during the most torrid time for our club.

second yellow
03-12-2012, 10:50
Superb, if he's chucking it though, what are we left with?

Hope to god he writes a book exposing every one of these rhats.

simplythechamps
03-12-2012, 10:52
I really hope Traynor writes a book on the whole Rangers saga giving his insight into the "sporting integrity" debacle and how elements of the media managed to set such a hate-filled agenda.

Jan Fabel
03-12-2012, 10:52
Unfortunately he has chosen to leave the stage to the frothing at the.mouth hate filled bigots of which he speaks in his article.

agcooper
03-12-2012, 10:55
but just for the record, I’ve not been sacked or made redundant. I was asked to remain but my conscience won’t allow me to stay in our profession.

where's your conscience been for the last 10 years then?

2008 and the absolute nonsense that went on with the run in as we went for 4 trophies?

too little far too late.

bigy
03-12-2012, 10:56
I have a few thoughts on this piece by Traynor. Yes, it is a good piece, but without naming names it lets all the discredited journalists operating in Scotland off the hook.

Also, without going into the 'is he coming to Rangers' debate that was on another thread, I think it severely limits what he can do now. It's clear he has a book coming, and through that or some other medium he will be naming names and calling people out. When he does this it is really going to rattle a few cages, and that puts him in a hell of a position to act in a PR capacity for any organisation within Scottish sport.

A PR manager needs to have contacts, needs to get on with the media, needs to be able to influence them, and so on. When Traynor rattles these cages it will alienate a big junk of the Scottish media, and that will make any job he takes on near on impossible.

I therefore reckon he's either heading for pastures new (outside Scotland), or taking on an entirely different challenge.

No Money No Problems
03-12-2012, 10:56
He's taking any prisoners with that piece.

The worry is two fold; who do the Record replace him with (Britney?) and who do we rely on to take a balanced view on the SPL, SFA and SFL.

A great parting shot by Traynor but who is left to carry on the fight?

justice
03-12-2012, 10:59
Hes dead on.. As well as the journos I have been totally shocked by the hatred and vitriol that has come from fans of many other clubs. Ones such as Sporting Integrity Fc and the sheep you would expect it from.. but from Hearts and Dunfermline and Motherwell fans? Its really soured my opinion on football tbh.

Frodsham Bear
03-12-2012, 11:01
Well Done JT good article

McRod
03-12-2012, 11:02
who is left to carry on the fight?

Thats the scarey part.

What we have to remember though is that "carrying on the fight" is really just telling the truth.

We don`t have any journos left we can trust with the truth.

Traynor never fought our corner, he simply told an unbiased truth.

bigy
03-12-2012, 11:03
Hes dead on.. As well as the journos I have been totally shocked by the hatred and vitriol that has come from fans of many other clubs. Ones such as Sporting Integrity Fc and the sheep you would expect it from.. but from Hearts and Dunfermline and Motherwell fans? Its really soured my opinion on football tbh.

The only thing i'd say on that is, Kilmarnock's Trust asked for us to be booted out the SPL and voted overwhelmingly for us to go, the chairman then asked all season ticket holders to vote, and the vast majority wanted us to stay.

I genuinely think what's happened is the SPL clubs let the extreme element of their support dictate their ways, and the ordinary fan was left with no voice.

KarlPilkington
03-12-2012, 11:03

Odious Creep

wilton99
03-12-2012, 11:04
Pity his book won`t be out for Xmas, but it will be a must for all Gers fans whenever it appears on Waterstone`s shelves.

Watson
Wonder if its mentioned on Snyde tonight they will give it a wide berth

mexi

The sad thing is we could put a dozen journalists names to that, without being accused of paranoia

ally-c
Great piece, about time the truth be told

Scotty27
03-12-2012, 11:05
I fully understand why Traynor is disgusted with it all. He calls it like it is in this piece, these bloggers have no creditbility whatsover, the unremitting hatred for all things Rangers conumes their lives. Sad way to live.

Finbar OFfended
03-12-2012, 11:05
While I applaud Traynor for his final article today, you have to ask where his journalistic objectivity and integrity have been in years past. Lest we forget this gem from Traynor.

They surged in several times clubbing everyone within reach. Although the fans who were spewing their sectarian bile probably deserve a good hiding, innocents would also have been taken out.

McRod
03-12-2012, 11:07
Odious Creep

Jum is the "broadcaster" who sprung to mind reading that.

buster
03-12-2012, 11:07
---------------------------------------------

cp1872
03-12-2012, 11:08
Never forget this but you can't fault him for his latest actions. Everyone can make mistakes and errors of judgement, lets hope he views that comment as one.

eleventh floor
A silly piece from him in the past but I'm sure we've all said things and looked back and thought differently. I still don't like the guy but if people want to rip him for the bad stuff then you have to applaud him for the good stuff.

The Peoples Piper
Not good at all.

Aunty Christ
03-12-2012, 11:11
Rangers should comment on this to drive the point home.

tkmcg
Very good James could we encourage you to expand a wee bit

Finbar OFfended
A silly piece from him in the past but I'm sure we've all said things and looked back and thought differently. I still don't like the guy but if people want to rip him for the bad stuff then you have to applaud him for the good stuff.

Did you read my OP fully? I do applaud his current article but we shouldn't forget his years of anti rangers stuff of which my op only shows a small part

thecount
03-12-2012, 11:12
I have typed this out and I for one will miss reading Traynor, like him or not he was a great journo who i think will be missed.

It was never a job. More of an absolute joy, if truth be told.

Until recently.

Unfortunately reason was never allowed to be a player in this grotesque game, which quickly became dominated mostly by
incoherent imbeciles fuelled by all that hatred.

And the result? Some of the most shallow and infantile drivel ever written. These egotists are so into themselves they’ve no regard for the safety or wellbeing of those about whom they have written some awful and completely inaccurate pieces.

The journalism needed by the country, never mind sport, no longer exists in enough of the other media outlets.

One hundred and eighhhhty

dildoloyal
03-12-2012, 11:12
Its interesting on twitter who is taking the bait on this..... they are outing themselves - 3names and this utter cant

https://twitter.com/AngelaHaggerty

Phalcon
03-12-2012, 11:13
Let it go mate he has more than made up for past mistakes he will be missed and is a true fair and unblinkered journalist with no hidden agenda other than the truth !

Bowery Boys
03-12-2012, 11:13
Yeah, we know.

The Peoples Piper
03-12-2012, 11:15
Your efforts should be focused elsewhere.

Flashman
03-12-2012, 11:16
This just makes his recent writing in our defence all the more important, it comes from a man who has been no friend of ours in the past. Would you rather he had a history of Lawwell Lapdogesque sycophancy towards us?

RC_Hamilton
Some Rangers fans would prefer losing as long as they were morally pure and self-righteous.

clashcityrocker
Right now we need any allies who are able to make their voices heard in the mainstream. Letting the mhanks have a free shot at controlling the mhedia has been the biggest factor in our troubles over the past few years.

justice
03-12-2012, 11:17
The only thing i'd say on that is, Kilmarnock's Trust asked for us to be booted out the SPL and voted overwhelmingly for us to go, the chairman then asked all season ticket holders to vote, and the vast majority wanted us to stay.

I genuinely think what's happened is the SPL clubs let the extreme element of their support dictate their ways, and the ordinary fan was left with no voice.

Im very well known to all my mates as a bear and there were very few (Im talking the fingers on one hand) who expressed any sympathy or compassion for our situtation. The number of times people called us tax cheats & shit like that was unbelievable. I repeatedly had to point out that we had yet to be found guilty of any misuse of EBTS .. the whole of the country, let by the scurrilous reporting by the mhedia, had us hung drawn and quartered for a crime that we were never guilty of.. they could not wait to try and bring us down.

Ive stopped speaking to some of them as a result of their vitriol.

eleventh floor
Did you read my OP fully? I do applaud his current article but we shouldn't forget his years of anti rangers stuff of which my op only shows a small part

I did mate, not having a pop at you, I was meaning in general terms.

jimbear
He did not miss them. He is an honest journalist and he will be sorely missed.

The Big Cheese

Who's forgetting?
There are many posters on here who,in relation to Traynor,remind me of the drowning man who refuses the help of his rescuer with the line "f..k off! Where have you been all this time".

justice
03-12-2012, 11:19
Its interesting on twitter who is taking the bait on this..... they are outing themselves - 3names and this utter cant

NOt really outing herself considering she edited Phil 3 names' work of fiction..

Muddy Walters
While I applaud Traynor for his final article today, you have to ask where his journalistic objectivity and integrity have been in years past. Lest we forget this gem from Traynor.

He says the police were wrong and innocents were caught up in the police action.:blink:

agcooper

it wouldn't surprise if there was some ulterior motive behind his leaving the record and his sudden finding of conscience.

A sudden passion for The Truth?

I'm not buying it.

gersbear9
03-12-2012, 11:20
Please bring out a book Traynor.

I'd love to read some names mentioned.

Name them all Jim

bigy
03-12-2012, 11:23
Im very well known to all my mates as a bear and there were very few (Im talking the fingers on one hand) who expressed any sympathy or compassion for our situtation. The number of times people called us tax cheats & shit like that was unbelievable. I repeatedly had to point out that we had yet to be found guilty of any misuse of EBTS .. the whole of the country, let by the scurrilous reporting by the mhedia, had us hung drawn and quartered for a crime that we were never guilty of.. they could not wait to try and bring us down.

Ive stopped speaking to some of them as a result of their vitriol.

That's fair enough, and i agree with you about the mhanks, but in my opinion the other clubs let an extreme minority dictate their policy.

justice
03-12-2012, 11:25
That's fair enough, and i agree with you about the mhanks, but in my opinion the other clubs let an extreme minority dictate their policy.

Fair enough mate, I just didnt hear much support coming from anywhere tbh.. all I heard were people wanting to have a go at us.

Rex
03-12-2012, 11:26

Wow - surely he said more than that? I have always thought he said much worse. That sentence is actually condemning the Spanish police for wading in on everyone, but he gets his facts wrong.

I was in Benidorm on the way to watch the Villareal game and there was a rumour the police were finding it hard to cope with the number of Rangers fans, we were all celebrating in the Champion's Bar when they came from nowhere and got waded in. Some of them took a beating but with helmets shields and batons it was not a fair fight, and they started it.

The truth is they fear and loathe the Union flag being flown in their country, in fact they have previous with many other nationalities, but since we always seemed to beat them in battles etc. we are among the worst to them.

He did not get his facts right here, and many of the chants were in response to the way the fans had been treated. If he had witnessed that and went in with the fans he would have seen it for himself.

Daza1985
03-12-2012, 11:26
Tremendous article JT, pulls no punches!

Really makes you think about what he does know that he wont publish.

simplythechamps
03-12-2012, 11:27
http://www.allmediascotland.com/press/42944/traynor-signs-off-with-attack-on-fellow-journalists-and-online-commentators/

Some comment from an influential news industry website on Traynor's career and final article. Speaks volumes that there is no criticism of todays article.

justice
03-12-2012, 11:27

"she has reported on a wide range of subjects, ranging from cuts in education and elderly care to the Rangers financial crisis and the problem of bigotry in Scotland,"

"More recently, Angela appeared on Channel 4 News, discussing her experiences of online intimidation and harassment at the hands of a number of Rangers fans as a result of her work on the story of the club’s liquidation."

Not exactly a surprise..

:eek::D

Muddy Walters
03-12-2012, 11:28
Name them all Jim

I don't know how these things work legally: are tell-alls about people who are still alive not usually in the US where the libel laws are different. Here the burden of proof is on the people making accusations, and unless he's got enough people to back up anything he would say in that type of book (and willing to possibly damage their career prospects) he better have well-kept records.

Is that it? Or could he really just lay it all out there?

BlueNotWhyte
03-12-2012, 11:29
Of a longer term and more significant direct damage was his spin that promoted SDM.

Of even more significant damage was the FF'rs poisonous spin in those nightmare years against those who questioned David Murray.

Where are you now those who were screaming "dirty fenian barstewards" at us who dared to protest against The Great One at Ibrox stadium?

Where are you now Andy Cameron who told the RST to "stick their banners up their arses" when they questioned The Infallible Chairman ?

Where are you Derek Johnstone who gibbered; "I don't know anything about Supporters Trusts but I know I don't like them" in the wake of the RST scuppering Murrays plans to sell the stadium ?

And don't even get me started on McCoist and his pathetic bleats about a much misunderstood David Murray.

At least Traynor has the cajones to call out his own historic errors in that respect and has attempted to repair them.

53easy
03-12-2012, 11:30
Would Traynor know the identity of the RTC blogger?

Muddy Walters
03-12-2012, 11:32
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyKhnTY36yB4CoCia0KhNQrW4NL6gWR BCdbwuvJ5r16DoUDWvoiowrXoLybQ

:eek::D

:D

Clearly a rabid MOPE c/unt with a mind made up of barrel scrappings.