PDA

View Full Version : Jose Mourinho faces the Bernabeu.

NATERFC1
03-12-2012, 00:55
http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/02/article-1354459646797-164E5C71000005DC-777584_636x382.jpg

Jose Mourinho staged a remarkable pre-match PR stunt to silence the dissenters among Real Madrid fans and stun his critics in the Spanish press.

The Portuguese had been taking flak from both quarters in recent weeks for Real’s slow start to La Liga season, but promised journalists he would walk out onto the pitch prior to the Madrid derby with Atletico so that ‘fans could boo him if they wished’.
True to his word, like a defiant Gladiator entering the Coliseum, the Special One strode out onto the Bernabeu turf 40 minutes before kick-off and soaked up the crowd reaction for a good two minutes before returning to the dressing room.
The majority of the 1000-or-so fans cheered their manager and chanted his name in support, although a handful of whistles could still be heard.
Real went on to win the game 2-0 thanks to goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Mesut Ozil, although what the Madrid Galacticos will have thought of their manager hogging the limelight (yet again!) remains to be seen…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=89HPG5E5hEM#!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/919594-jose-mourinho-stages-solo-pr-stunt-to-silence-critics-prior-to-real-madrid-win

Love him or hate him, he is a fantastic character.

krack182
03-12-2012, 01:01
Ha ha he's a mentalist. Don't particularly like him but he's a character and more like him in football the better.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 01:02
Should have went out 10 mins before kick off ;)

Russell_Nash
03-12-2012, 01:18
Legend! .

1jorgalbertz11
03-12-2012, 01:20
He was willing to sacrifice his own dignity for the sake of the team.

The man is a genius, the greatest manager to ever live.

gazzano8loyal
03-12-2012, 01:42
A very astute man.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 01:47
the greatest manager to ever live.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01300/alex-ferguson_1300134c.jpg
"The **** did I just read ?'

hamiltonbear7
03-12-2012, 01:51
How could you boo that man?

He slays the taigs. Scottish/Irish or Spanish

bulletproofdunc
03-12-2012, 01:56

Have a word with yourself.

bulletproofdunc
03-12-2012, 01:57
As usual, it's all about him. Pathetic.

1jorgalbertz11
03-12-2012, 02:05

The result?

His team won a high pressure derby game comfortably.

It was all about the team. A more selfless coach you could not ask for.

SasaPapac_Loyal
03-12-2012, 02:06

Deflects criticism and attention from the players onto him.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 02:06

How many Clasico's is that for him ?

But yes, he knows like no other to deflect the attention of his team.
And we all know he loves the attention too :p

NATERFC1
03-12-2012, 02:52
It's all coming to the end according to Marca.

'Divorce in sight'

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9JfeUTCUAAgW03.jpg:large

Virgil Hilts
03-12-2012, 03:09
I admire Jose, but thats a bit of a stunt though. I mean 40 minutes before kick off is playing it safe. I bet there was only a small fraction of the support present and mostly diehards at that.

Humbug
03-12-2012, 04:51
Jose knows how to work the press to his advantage, the ultimate performer.

southpaws
03-12-2012, 06:53
The result?

His team won a high pressure derby game comfortably.

It was all about the team. A more selfless coach you could not ask for.

To be honest Athletico's record in such derbies is pretty dire therefore not that much pressure to be honest.

Jose the great manager and Jose self indulgently wallowing in the cult of personality are sometimes pretty hard to separate, I will concede this much...there is rarely a dull moment with the bandwagon which is Jose's career!

JohnBrownLoyal
03-12-2012, 07:14

Not the greatest of all time yet but better than jake face in your post.

jose12
03-12-2012, 07:32
Love Jose cool as .....

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 08:36

You're delusional :D

Sebo23
03-12-2012, 08:40
I think he's a shoe in for Man Utd when Fergie leaves.

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Jose Mourinho could be the man to replace him at Manchester United.

A fortnight ago the pair shared afternoon tea at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester, where Real Madrid were staying ahead of their Champions League match against Manchester City.

The Portuguese has made it clear his ambition is to manage in England again and, when asked if Mourinho could replace him at United when he retires, Ferguson, 70, said: ‘He can manage anywhere, absolutely.

'I would never think a guy who hasn’t played a game could be a top coach but then you’ve got to look at his personality. He’s got a marvellous, strong personality and that bridges that gap.

‘I remember his first press conference [at Chelsea] and I thought, “Christ, he’s a cocky b*****, him”. He was telling the players, “Look, I’m the special one, we don’t lose games”.

'Bloody hell, coming to England, he is only a young man and saying he is the special one! But it told all the players to have the belief they were going to win the league.’

In an interview for Monday night’s ITV4 documentary Mourinho, Ferguson reveals how he became friends with the Real boss following United’s defeat by Porto in the Champions League in 2004. He was struck by the difference in Mourinho’s personality when away from the cameras.

The Scot said: ‘When he comes into my office he can take a joke against himself, that is what I like about him. I give him a lot of stick and he laughs it off.

‘I don’t think it bothers Jose [having a controversial image]. He knows it is results that count.’

Mourinho has made it clear he has unfinished business in England. He is desperate to win the Champions League — the one trophy that eluded him at Chelsea — with an English club. His failure to win the competition cost him his job.

The 49-year-old said: ‘In my career everything was perfect. The only thing I didn’t, and I hope I can do it one day, is to win a Champions League with an English club. Nobody puts pressure on me because I put pressure on myself.’

In October, he said after Madrid ‘the next step will be England, but when? I don’t know’.

During 10 years of management, Mourinho has won 20 trophies. Ferguson has 48 in 26 years but he does not rule out his haul being overtaken by Mourinho.

'He is a greedy b*****,’ said Ferguson.

frankieboy
03-12-2012, 08:49
Does what it says on the tin.

KingCarlos
03-12-2012, 09:06

You must be about 14 :D

hagi9uk
03-12-2012, 09:06
Legend, Class.

Bowery Boys
03-12-2012, 09:10

Who is the best of all time in your opinion?

madrid51
03-12-2012, 09:13
Jose does have a certain panache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJwbroPeqc

Top_Cat
03-12-2012, 09:14
Love the guy! :)

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 09:24

Loved it when I saw that, that last kid was 'Who the fu.... ow...' :)

supergers07
03-12-2012, 09:28
He's finished at Real Madrid and he knows it

hamiltonbear7
03-12-2012, 09:30

I'm jealous

A low five from Jose is on my Bucket List

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 09:38
I'm jealous

A reach around from Jose is on my Bucket List

No surprise there :o

Gio Van Bronckhorst
03-12-2012, 09:45
Who is the best of all time in your opinion?

Mourinho has managed for 10 years and has as many European Cups as Ferguson.

What took Bob Paisley 9 years to do, Ferguson hasn't managed in 3 decades in the game and win 3 European Cups.

Brian Clough won 2 league titles and 2 European Cups with minnows.

Ferguson isn't the greatest British manager never mind the greatest ever.

Del Bosque, Rinus Michels, Bob Paisley and Brian Clough stand above him for staters.

When people took about his achievements with Aberdeen, Jim McLean came closer to winning the big one than Ferguson and Aberdeen did.

davemac60
03-12-2012, 09:49
legend....

Bowery Boys
03-12-2012, 09:50

What took Bob Paisley 9 years to do, Ferguson hasn't managed in 3 decades in the game and win 3 European Cups.

Del Bosque, Rinus Michels, Bob Paisley and Brian Clough stand above him for staters.

When people took about his achievements with Aberdeen, Jim McLean came closer to winning the big one than Ferguson and Aberdeen did.

It was easier to win European Cups when Clough and Paisley were managing (how many teams have retained the trophy in its current format?), and you can't simply dismiss what he achieved with a club like Aberdeen like that. Taking them to a European Final and defeating Real Madrid is an extraordinary achievement. He's almost single handedly turned Man Utd into the most successful club in England. He's the best alright.

Kk.1
03-12-2012, 09:52
There's only 1 Jose!

agcooper
03-12-2012, 09:58

well said.

Bearwood Bear
03-12-2012, 10:05

Eh?

I think you may need to seek some help.

madnutter0102
03-12-2012, 10:07

Thank you, I was just about to say similar.

53easy
03-12-2012, 10:16
Mourinho will be remembered as the greatest ever manager when he retires.

gazzastheman
03-12-2012, 10:28
would have been better if he'd done a delia when the place was packed not only a small fraction full

Geo 1972
03-12-2012, 10:39
Mourinho will be remembered as the greatest ever manager when he retires.

No he won't. Great managers do not attack opposing coaches from behind, and try to gauge their eye.;)

53easy
03-12-2012, 10:40
No he won't. Great managers do not attack opposing coaches from behind, and try to gauge their eye.;)

He should hand back the two European trophies at Porto for that incident :D:D

Andwoo74
03-12-2012, 10:42
Legend, wish he had gone out later but that still takes stones!

butcherboy
03-12-2012, 11:01

Are you fae Elgin? :eek:

47blue
03-12-2012, 11:04
Absolutely love the special one,I will never ever be able to thank him enough for his Porto side putting O'squeels hammer throwers to the sword

blair_omnibus
03-12-2012, 11:07
Class act.

Players must absolutely love playing for him.

WokinghamBear
03-12-2012, 11:08
He is the master of deflecting attention from his team and leaving them to get on with playing football.

At first look, he seems to be all about his own ego - I think it's actually quite a clever move that he seems able to perform time & time again.

blair_omnibus
03-12-2012, 11:10
He is the master of deflecting attention from his team and leaving them to get on with playing football.

At first look, he seems to be all about his own ego - I think it's actually quite a clever move that he seems able to perform time & time again.

Exactly.

Folk who think he does it all for himself aren't quite intelligent enough to grasp his achievements & how he's done it.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 11:16

It takes more than European trophies to be seen as the best manager ever.

Exactly.

Folk who think he does it all for himself aren't quite intelligent enough to grasp his achievements & how he's done it.

Or maybe it's a combination of both ?

53easy
03-12-2012, 11:18
It takes more than European trophies to be seen as the best manager ever.

What's the criteria?

200000 Heroes
03-12-2012, 11:23

Difficult to argue with facts, although I am absolutely certain some will. This is FF after all. ;)

Nice post Gio.

gazzastheman
03-12-2012, 11:24
Exactly.

but surely thats the beauty of the 'trick';)

Puskas
03-12-2012, 11:26
What Mourinho did with Porto was exceptional. Spending very little he won a treble including the UEFA Cup, and then followed it up with a double of League and Champions League.

It could be argued that what he did with Inter was even more incredible, as he won the CL with a net spend of almost zero, and ripping the utter **** out of Guardiola with the Ibrahimovic deal to build his team.

Bowery Boys
03-12-2012, 11:29
Winning the treble with Inter was incredible, he also laid the foundations for Benitez to win the World Club Championship.

LostSoulForever 2
03-12-2012, 11:35
He's already amongst the greatest managers of all time and he's not even 50 yet.

If he does it for another 20 years, and there's little reason to think he'll lose his touch, he'll be remembered as one of the elite.

GioLoyal
03-12-2012, 11:47
40 minutes before kick off with 1,000 supporters in an 80,000 seater stadium.

Of course he wasn't going to get dogs abuse in that setting.

Would have been interesting if he did it 5 minutes before the start of the game.

GioLoyal
03-12-2012, 11:49

It took Pep Guardiola 3 years to win as many European Cups as Ferguson's managed in nearly 30 years at Man Utd.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 12:11
What's the criteria?

I don't know, I'd love to see him go to a club and actually build up something, instead of getting millions thrown at him and leave after a few years.

When Ferguson went to ManU he completely turned them around, the season before he arrived they almost got relegated.

It took time, but he managed to not only revamp the squad, get results,... but the whole set-up of the club, down to the youth level.

I don't know many managers that are so involved with every aspect of their club.

Davemc043
03-12-2012, 12:16
I don't know, I'd love to see him go to a club and actually build up something, instead of getting millions thrown at him and leave after a few years.

When Ferguson went to ManU he completely turned them around, the season before he arrived they almost got relegated.

It took time, but he managed to not only revamp the squad, get results,... but the whole set-up of the club, down to the youth level.

I don't know many managers that are so involved with every aspect of their club.

He hardly had bucket loads of cash at Porto and Inter but still managed 3 European trophies and domestic domination.

Look at the state of Inter since he left them.

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 12:20
He hardly had bucket loads of cash at Porto and Inter but still managed 3 European trophies and domestic domination.

Look at the state of Inter since he left them.

Apart from Porto (who had a brilliant generation at that time) he never spent less than 30m.

Btw, ITV4 are doing a special on him tonight I think, tissues at the ready for some on here :D

Puskas
03-12-2012, 12:42
Apart from Porto (who had a brilliant generation at that time) he never spent less than 30m.

Btw, ITV4 are doing a special on him tonight I think, tissues at the ready for some on here :D

They had a generation at Porto did they?

Bollocks. You'll find that he built almost all of it himself, for buttons. After he left, they sold them all for about 80 million euros.

At Inter his net spend was also buttons as he assembled a team who could barely get to the Quarters of the CL and won it.

And anyway, I think if you said to any top club in the world, give this guy 30m and he'll win the CL, they'd snap your hand off for it.

Allan.
03-12-2012, 12:50
It was easier to win European Cups when Clough and Paisley were managing (how many teams have retained the trophy in its current format?)

Eh? Absolute rubbish. Its never been easy to win them.

Ferguson has spunked some amount of money and all. He regularly spends big, he spent £60m this season, and has spent near on that for the past few seasons. He's also spunked a lot of money on flops.

He has failed in Europe, for the teams he's had he should have won the title more often, especially between 2000 and 2010, should have made the final at least. He's done very well int he Premiership, and is the best league manager of all time in England, but not Europe.

Bowery Boys
03-12-2012, 12:51
Eh? Absolute rubbish. Its never been easy to win them.

Ferguson has spunked some amount of money and all. He regularly spends big, he spent £60m this season, and has spent near on that for the past few seasons. He's also spunked a lot of money on flops.

He has failed in Europe, for the teams he's had he should have won the title more often, especially between 2000 and 2010, should have made the final at least. He's done very well int he Premiership, and is the best league manager of all time in England, but not Europe.

Just aswell I didn't say that then, eh?

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 13:13
They had a generation at Porto did they?

Bollocks. You'll find that he built almost all of it himself, for buttons. After he left, they sold them all for about 80 million euros.

At Inter his net spend was also buttons as he assembled a team who could barely get to the Quarters of the CL and won it.

And anyway, I think if you said to any top club in the world, give this guy 30m and he'll win the CL, they'd snap your hand off for it.

Net spend doesn't always mean everything, their wage bill was huge.

And he was helped by the retarded Zlatan deal by Barcelona as well.

I'm not denying he's a brilliant manager, but this whole 'He did it without money' is bollocks.

blair_omnibus
03-12-2012, 13:38
Net spend doesn't always mean everything, their wage bill was huge.

And he was helped by the retarded Zlatan deal by Barcelona as well.

I'm not denying he's a brilliant manager, but this whole 'He did it without money' is bollocks.

What was their wage bill?

madrid51
03-12-2012, 13:57

The difference is Ferguson has managed at the top for 30 + years.

Gio Van Bronckhorst
03-12-2012, 13:58
It was easier to win European Cups when Clough and Paisley were managing (how many teams have retained the trophy in its current format?), and you can't simply dismiss what he achieved with a club like Aberdeen like that. Taking them to a European Final and defeating Real Madrid is an extraordinary achievement. He's almost single handedly turned Man Utd into the most successful club in England. He's the best alright.

No it wasn't. You had to be champions to get in for a start.

None of this finishing 4th, then finishing 5th and picking up the CL trophy at the same time.

The fact that poor teams like Chelsea and Liverpool have won the CL makes it easier to argue that it is easier to win the CL than ever before. That poor teams with a bit of luck can now win the European Cup.

Aberdeen winning the CWC was a fantastic achievement, but it's no where near taking a side from Div 2 to Champions of Europe in a few seasons.

Puskas
03-12-2012, 14:03
Net spend doesn't always mean everything, their wage bill was huge.And he was helped by the retarded Zlatan deal by Barcelona as well.

I'd be willing to bet his wage bill was nowhere near that of Guardiola's at Barcelona in any of the seasons he won the CL.

I also remember him after Porto beat Man United in Porto. Ferguson was fuming they'd been beaten as Mourinho changed tactics in the second half and outclassed them.

Mourinho was aksed about Ferguson's raging interview and said " I too would be fuming if my team had just been dominated by a team which cost a 10th(or maybe it ws a quarter?) of my budget"

Gio Van Bronckhorst
03-12-2012, 14:03
The difference is Ferguson has managed at the top for 30 + years.

Not disputing that but with the resources he has had at Man United, back when he was breaking the transfer record every summer the return in Europe has been poor.

Europe is where Ferguson wants to be judged and using that as the barometer no way can he be considered the best ever.

No Manchester United team he has ever created will ever be held in the same esteem as the AC Milan, Juve, Real Madrid & Barcelona sides of the CL era.

FWIW his treble team and side in 2008 were poorer than the Ajax team that was built with pittens.

We always have to listen to this Ferguson is the greatest no debate tosh, no one ever makes the case for why he isn't.

madrid51
03-12-2012, 14:08
Not disputing that but with the resources he has had at Man United, back when he was breaking the transfer record every summer the return in Europe has been poor.

Europe is where Ferguson wants to be judged and using that as the barometer no way can he be considered the best ever.

No Manchester United team he has ever created will ever be held in the same esteem as the AC Milan, Juve, Real Madrid & Barcelona sides of the CL era.

FWIW his treble team and side in 2008 were poorer than the Ajax team that was built with pittens.

We always have to listen to this Ferguson is the greatest no debate tosh, no one ever makes the case for why he isn't.

Where does that put Smith Advocaat and Souness in the grand scheme of things ?

Jelle1880
03-12-2012, 14:12
What was their wage bill?

Their total wage bill in 2009 was208m euro (167 euro in 2007 btw).

Gio Van Bronckhorst
03-12-2012, 14:22
Where does that put Smith Advocaat and Souness in the grand scheme of things ?

That they all failed in Europe.

Rangers best chance of winning the big one came in the early 90s and a better manager than Smith could have won it. Or atleast made a fight for it.

Advocaat never once led a team out of the group stage in the CL he would have to be considered a failure at the highest level aswell. He built teams that were good enough to win the Uefa cup at Rangers and didn't come close to it.

Disco2000
03-12-2012, 14:23
Absolute Legend !

madrid51
03-12-2012, 14:35
That they all failed in Europe.

Rangers best chance of winning the big one came in the early 90s and a better manager than Smith could have won it. Or atleast made a fight for it.

Advocaat never once led a team out of the group stage in the CL he would have to be considered a failure at the highest level aswell. He built teams that were good enough to win the Uefa cup at Rangers and didn't come close to it.

Quite, money is no guarantee of anything, Porto, celtic, steau, red star benfica feyenoord psv ajax all spring to mind.

Gio Van Bronckhorst
03-12-2012, 14:39
Quite, money is no guarantee of anything, Porto, celtic, steau, red star benfica feyenoord psv ajax all spring to mind.

It helps but, if you spend money but the guy you have in charge knows what he's doing at the highest level you should be successful.

It's what cost Mancini his job at Inter and what will cost him his job at City IMO.

Ferguson was like Walter at times in the early 1990s, completely tactically inept in Europe. Before their treble in 1999 United were regularly gubbed by teams that they had the beating of.

hawkfalcons
03-12-2012, 18:54
ferguson is the greatest in my opinion certainly the best of british

blue_nicky
03-12-2012, 18:56
links not working

NATERFC1
03-12-2012, 18:59
The premiere of 'Mourinho' will air on ITV4 at 10pm on Monday 3rd December.

Looking forward to it.

Abacus73
03-12-2012, 19:03
I do not know how any one who calls himself the "special one" can be considered to be the greatest ..... he is deluded and charismatic enough to delude many .....

Maybe another ten years 10 more titles and 2 more European Cups and get back to us ...

The Greatest was Ali .....:p Now there was charisma ....

leerfc51
03-12-2012, 19:07
Superb, Legend!

Agent of the Duke of Kent
03-12-2012, 19:10
Ha ha he's a mentalist. Don't particularly like him but he's a character and more like him in football the better.

Uefa Cup final Porto 3-2 celtic mans a legend mate :D