PDA

View Full Version : SPL pushes for reconstruction next year – but with no place for Rangers

ian-rfc
02-12-2012, 00:50
By ANDREW SMITH
Published on Sunday 2 December 2012 00:00

Scottish Premier League clubs will try to rush through reconstruction in time for next season but there will be no mechanism to allow Rangers to be fast-tracked into the 
proposed new set-up.

The 12 SPL sides will meet at Hampden tomorrow having already agreed “in principle” to a new set-up of two 12-team divisions, which would see each club play each other twice before splitting into three eight-team play-off sections.

The middle eight section would comprise the bottom four from SPL1 and the top four from SPL2.

No proposals have been set for any play-off or relegation slots from the third eight into what is left of the Scottish Football League, nor what would operate below the two 12s, with the SPL not wishing to be seen to prescribe to the SFL who vehemently oppose the SPL plans. It has been suggested that the SFL could invite in two clubs to give them 20 teams, with those then split into two regional leagues of ten to ensure that no team in the senior set-up is ever more than two promotions away from top-flight football.

“We are open-minded and want to enter into any dialogue with the SFL on that basis,” said an SPL source.

SPL clubs, for the first time, will tomorrow be presented with precisely what the financial distribution model would mean for the 24 teams in the new structure. The prospects that some will take fright at the detailed figures means the possibility that the proposal will command the backing of 11 of the 12 SPL clubs, as the voting structure demands, must be considered slender.

“The past has shown that you cannot predict how clubs will vote when it comes to the show of hands,” said the SPL source. “We just have to see.”

Should the unlikely happen, however, the SPL will then seek discussions with the SFL over how to make the two 12s a reality.

It would require a difficult birthing process, with the top 12 placed SFL clubs – effectively the First Division and the top two in the Second Division – then required to decide if they want to accept an invitation to join an expanded SPL a matter of six months after the majority were left enraged at being expected to sort out the Rangers “problem” by admitting Charles Green’s newco into the First Division.

Financial imperatives, illustrated by the fact that stepping up to the SPL could be worth £300,000 to them, are likely to override any lingering resentments from last summer.

The SPL source said: “There is a strong feeling within the SPL that the invitations must be given on merit, rather than any picking of selected clubs, so there is no suggestion of parachuting Rangers in to the new structure.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...gers-1-2671259

rfcsteve
02-12-2012, 00:53
Good we don't need them die asap!

CPA Bluenose
SFL, say no. You know it makes sense.

Why accept crumbs from the corrupt cabal when you can let it die off and have the whole cake !!

A1bertz
Only one problem.....the SFL have another opinion. Shove it up yer arse!

Napoleon Dynamite
Probably because Charles Green has said Rangers won't be in the SPL.

blue114
02-12-2012, 00:54
Good , don't want to be anywhere near them ..

theknight
Good.

I'm sure the SFL teams will be falling over themselves to get involved with this successful business model.

bertram
Don't want a part of anything that is the brainchild of Neil Donkeyasser and Liewell.

Black_Hack_Bear
02-12-2012, 00:55
We will do it the right way....work our way up the divisions.... They miss us more than we miss them>:)>:)

williewoodburn
02-12-2012, 00:57
They can feck right off IMO

The Rangers Hub
02-12-2012, 00:59
Andrew Smith 'always knew there was something seriously wrong happening at Rangers during David Murray's tenure'...

He's towards the top of the list when it comes to Rangers haters.

GF4
02-12-2012, 01:02
Why do they keep banging on about this fast-track to the SPL non-sense? Not one person connected with Rangers has ever said we'd agree to this. If they try it, it'll be for their own benefit and they'll be told to fk-off.

macdonsj
02-12-2012, 01:02
why are they reconstructing when they all insist the SPL is booming?

WokinghamBear
02-12-2012, 01:03
Fine - let them do their dance... without Rangers and the numbers of bums on seats and TV subscribers that the club brings, the SPL will struggle in any format they think up.

I hope Rangers can work within the SFL framework for change in the structure of the game in Scotland.

gu_bear
02-12-2012, 01:06
Good. Hopefully the SFL tell them to F-Off an refuse any relegation or promotion rendering their league useless.

billywizz
02-12-2012, 01:09
Well that's an easy answer for the SFL, erm no, they hold the only show in town

The SPL is hilarious though, I can't wait for the "go full retard" edition

Oh and Andrew Smith is a scumsucking cocksmash

Kilwinnin Bluenose
02-12-2012, 01:11
Why do they keep banging on about this fast-track to the SPL non-sense? Not one person connected with Rangers has ever said we'd agree to this. If they try it, it'll be for their own benefit and they'll be told to fk-off.

Exactly. They are trying to convince themselves, not us. They can stick their league up their arse.

disgusted_ger
02-12-2012, 01:14
I really can't read any more SPL proposals, they are only concerned in looking after each other and have no interest in the greater good of Scottish football

sonowilliam2
02-12-2012, 01:17
Good we don't need them die asap!

As above.

I'm in no rush to be back.

blueman14
02-12-2012, 01:21
What a bizarre league set up:confused: Guess this is why Thompson took his baw and went hame.

Not that we are asking for it but I wonder who they will invite into the SPL 2:roll:

bear all
02-12-2012, 01:21
They just don't get it yet do they.:roll:

CPA Bluenose
02-12-2012, 01:22
Scottish football will be so much better off when the SPL dies and its clubs have to join SFL Division 4.

The Predator
02-12-2012, 01:22
I stopped reading at Andrew smith.

Scum

copland71
02-12-2012, 01:23
What a load off bull....so 2 divisions become 3 if I read that correct....
Why don't they just have a spl1/2 with 12 teams in each....it's not rocket science...

Anyway I don't want to be part of it so they can ram it..

Rangerista
02-12-2012, 01:26
When will these c@nts realise that we're not agitating, pressuring, pleading or even hinting, that we want anything to do with their discredited league?

So stop using our club as a "conversation piece" to your pathetic machinations.

GavCo
02-12-2012, 01:30
The clubs shouldn't be allowed to vote for this, the fans should be telling them it's a shit idea thats not welcome.

It does nothing to benefit the Scottish game as a whole.

chilebear
02-12-2012, 01:31
I stopped at "we are opened minded"
Wouldnt this get us in the top flight one season earlier anyway?

Jan Fabel
02-12-2012, 01:37
Andrew Smith - The Fhilth's man at The Hootsnon.A paper no one reads.

hillheadbear
02-12-2012, 01:38
I think it is hilarious.

They imagine that by letting another 12 diddies in they are going to save the league.

It is time to wake up and smell the coffee. The media interest is in Rangers ... not St. Mirren (booooooo) v Falkirk.

I hope they actually do this and I will piss myself laughing when they fall flat on their face.

Jan Fabel
02-12-2012, 01:49
When will these c@nts realise that we're not agitating, pressuring, pleading or even hinting, that we want anything to do with their discredited league?

It's so as when we tell them to **** off after being asked in secret, of course, they can say that they knocked us back for a fast-tracking we haven't asked for in the first place. aThey wantcus back weakened and seeking forgiveness.

Well, Smith, Lawwell's ring-piece can **** off with the rest of the shower of shite who perpetuate this myth.

turrabear
02-12-2012, 01:49
rather work my way back up and hopfully by that time the spl will have died a natural death.

Banger Bear
02-12-2012, 01:58
When have we ever wanted a golden ticket back to the SPHell.

We go through this reconstruction talk every few years trying to reinvent a brand that doesn't exist. We have three different bodies that couldn't agree on gravity.

In Scotland its the case of too many Chiefs and no-one wants to give up their little bit of power. For the sake of the overall game we need a bit of common sense to help us all.

chevronislandger
02-12-2012, 02:04
Eff off SPL your a joke! :(

hellsbells
02-12-2012, 02:07
We have not asked to be fast tracked to anything! why do they keep stating shit about us being fast tracked? The SPL keeps harping on about voting, well ask the Rangers fans to vote and we can tell them where the hell to go!!

weebear
02-12-2012, 02:08
SPL1 and SPL2 is offering the smaller clubs the same old tired formula, Gravy for the top elite clubs. Crumbs for every other team out with the elite.

Whereas the SFL will negotiate imo, a far better more fairer distribution for all clubs. For us it's a price worth paying to see the back of the corrupt SPHELL.

mirtin73
02-12-2012, 02:09
hehehe...good luck with that one you bunch of bawbags. The reason we're not invited is because you know we'll tell you to shove it up your torbett. See ya...Don't wanna be ya.

Toby77
02-12-2012, 02:14
We all decry this as stupidity but no one has raised the point of what happens to the 18 teams left behind in the SFL and what the SPL expect the clubs not in their cabal to do if their proposals go ahead.

How can a league expect this to go ahead and not publish their plans for nearly half of Scotlands senior clubs to do moving forward. It's a disgrace.

mpayton15277
02-12-2012, 02:28
Probably because Charles Green has said Rangers won't be in the SPL.

Exactly,they're trying to sound like we would want to go there but they're resisting us,they're phucking scumbags.

SFL clubs must stick together and stay strong.
SFL will win if they stick together but if they start splitting the corrupt cabal will use them for their own gain.:mad:

PS where's the money coming from to distribute between all these clubs,SKY money will dry up very shortly.

Toby77
02-12-2012, 02:31
Exactly,they're trying to sound like we would want to go there but they're resisting us,they're phucking scumbags.

SFL clubs must stick together and stay strong.
SFL will win if they stick together but if they start splitting the corrupt cabal will use them for their own gain.:mad:

If there were two seperate tv deals, the SFL's would be worth more no?

mirtin73
02-12-2012, 02:35

Yes...you are right sir. There is indeed....ONLY ONE SHOW IN TOWN :)

mpayton15277
02-12-2012, 02:37

Going by viewing figures they would be more interested in SFL with Rangers than any SPL.
Sponsors will be more interested in SFL as well,so they'll have SPL 1 and 2 and SFL 1 and 2.
SFL will be worth more money than SPL.

mpayton15277
02-12-2012, 02:41
I think they're trying reverse psychology to get CG to budge.
The attendances are falling rapidly and different league structure alone won't help.

Does anybody know when the last time Savco got less than 8k for a competitive match?

AdamsLeftBoots
02-12-2012, 02:44
one show in town............

Barwon
02-12-2012, 02:46
Dear BBC, if the SPL is booming, why do they need reconstruction?

Bknowe
02-12-2012, 02:48
Hmmm, wonder what Sky will make of that.

SPL = Half empty Stadia, terrible viewing figures, nobody cares really.
SFL/Rangers = Where Sky are getting viewers due to interest in Rangers rise through the leagues.

No brainer eh

Finbar OFfended
02-12-2012, 02:53
We know Smith is the mouthpiece for Liewell when he wants ideas floated for testing, but there are a few issues with this proposal.

1) For it to work, they need another 20 teams

2) The SFL already have a proposal that seems more workable than the SPHELL idea. So going back to point one, why would the SFL join a league that seems doomed to fail?

3) NO RANGERS, NO TV DEAL, NO MONEY, NO LEAGUE SET UP.....It goes without saying that Rangers are THE only show in town. I'd be interested to know how Liewell, Doncaster, Petrie etc plan to sell this league set up to tv companies and expect to make money from it?

But beyond that, this article is nothing more than liewell using his trained monkey (Smith) to get Green to budge on accepting passage back to the top tier. Liewell thinks that by floating this idea, Green will look at it and come a running, cap in hand. But Liewell keeps forgetting, they need us, now more than ever, than we need sellick or the SPHELL..

TELL THEM TO **** OFF AND STICK WITH THE SFL CHARLES

Toby77
02-12-2012, 02:58
Yes...you are right sir. There is indeed....ONLY ONE SHOW IN TOWN :)

It's being proven in rather amusing fashion, Scottish football is dead without us.

It brings the rather interesting play into being that in future years we will have the smallest away domestic support in the league but the largest away support in Europe ever seen :D

bluenosecaby
02-12-2012, 03:22
In the words of Iron knicker clad Maggie, Stick your league where the sun don't shine, We are not for Returning to a similar set up no thank.
You don't win a war in one Skirmish or battle you continue to build your own strength while reducing the Enemies strength and abilities ....We will win Good always wins over Evil............EVERY DAY WE GET STRONGER TO THE SPL YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED AND OVER......

mpayton15277
02-12-2012, 03:24
I do think when we get back to the top league(whatever it may be) will be a bumper season for SPL clubs as far as home attendance figures go.
There will be a lot of interest in that season and if somebody decent was in charge could be used to keep people coming back and building on it,after all they only come to see the Rangers.
It's a pity there's nobody in charge who would have the sense or knowledge how to make it work for them.
They'll probably be so bitter they'll do everything they can to make sure it won't be a bumper year and gets worse(if possible) just so they can say "see,it made no difference having Rangers back".

mirtin73
02-12-2012, 03:38
It's being proven in rather amusing fashion, Scottish football is dead without us.

It brings the rather interesting play into being that in future years we will have the smallest away domestic support in the league but the largest away support in Europe ever seen :D

Indeed my friend....:D A very amusing and appropriate paradox :D

francais1776
02-12-2012, 03:42
Please oh please leave us out the SPL. For Rangers sake please!

invernesscaleywho
02-12-2012, 04:30
You can't blame them really, with the split in the middle of the season it will create sellout Saturday and Sunday every weekend.

Cooperfan
02-12-2012, 04:35
Where would this plan leave those below second place in the second division?

Basicallally they are trying to destroy any power the SFL have, and in the process make our league season mean little (as any teams left would need to create a new division of their own meaning no matter where a team finished in the third division they would still be in the third league down). If the SFL are stupid enough to fall for this then they get what they deserve.

Bearfaced
02-12-2012, 04:42
Financial imperatives, illustrated by the fact that stepping up to the SPL could be worth £300,000 to them, are likely to override any lingering resentments from last summer.

They couldn't even pay the SPL clubs the money due to them, so how would they finance a lower league , giving them all £300,000 at least each.
From even smaller media & sponsorship deals, than they've got at the moment.

'nuther Baku Bear
02-12-2012, 05:38
They need to work Rangers into any article. It's because WE are the only thing that matters and they 'ucking know it.

:)

Wishy
02-12-2012, 06:14
I'm at a loss trying to understand how they can present a proposal to clubs with regards to the dispersal of money.

As far as I'm aware, Clydesdale Bank's sponsorship finishes at the end of the season and the new TV deal is still to be negotiated.

How exactly can clubs vote on this without knowing these figures?
I don't even think they'll get enough SPL clubs voting for it.

tazzabear
02-12-2012, 06:29
Financial problems?
What financial problems?
Also, where is this extra £300k going to come from?
As for the league set up, what is different?

lone_ranger
02-12-2012, 06:37
Financial problems?
What financial problems?
Also, where is this extra £300k going to come from?
As for the league set up, what is different?Probably come from the current SPL investigation.We all know this will be about fund raising for the SPL.

DELPHROAD
02-12-2012, 07:07
Andrew Smith, you can stick your report right up your bum, who cares, not us, try again.

robot_reggie
02-12-2012, 07:09
A thick, but serious question.

Who affords the SPL status that allows entry to Europe? I am presuming the SFA and I am further assuming that all the clubs would have to vote on this to cede said powers to SFA.

If the above is true is there a mechanism to deprive the spl of their top status?

Simplistic, I know.

chas
02-12-2012, 07:28
Who will be the twelve clubs that break the SFL ranks?
None is the answer, the next few months will be interesting.

WATP

Draag
02-12-2012, 07:36
Could be worth up to £300k per annum.

How many people could be multi-millionaires if they played the lottery? All of them, but very few will.

All this extra money or not?

hurleyreyes
02-12-2012, 07:37
So the basic difference is that 12 clubs will be invited to be in a League called SPL 2 and the current split increases from 6 to 8.

What exactly will be in it for the SFL clubs who join? A cut of the "massive" TV deal that will be bound to come their way? :roll:
Surely that will mean less money for the current SPL teams.

And how are they working promotion to SPL 1 if the top 4 in the SPL 2 join a split with the bottom 4 in SPL?
What a joke idea.

JFT1841
02-12-2012, 07:45
"two promotions away from the top flight"

PMSL.

SPL2 remains division one, whatever it's called.

Deck chairs and Titanic.

bigkahunarab
02-12-2012, 08:01
Not happening..........

strathavenbear
02-12-2012, 08:02
Forget all that's happened between us and the SPL and that proposal for a league set up would make Scottish football an even bigger laughing stock.

Hopefully the SFL tell them to shove it, if not the remainder should tell them that there will be no promotion or relegation allowed between the two league bodies

greggyboy
02-12-2012, 08:15
The minority of 12 clubs seem desperate to double their numbers quickly.

The SFL clubs will hopefully tell them where to stick it. The biggest team in the country, will be coming your way soon, and the rewards that come with it.

The SPL ball is burst, without us it's a non event, regardless of how they desperately try a re jig it.

Blue Tack
02-12-2012, 08:16
Thank fu ck ,i want to be nowhere near that toxic set-up,im enjoying the adventure,and if we get there on merit,that will suit me just fine .

xelaxela
02-12-2012, 08:19
For what it is worth Mr. SPL Chairmen. There is no place in my life for any of you lot. I have said on here many times that if Rangers embrace any of the shower of shite that make up the SPL then I am finished with football. We should never forgive or forget what they did to us and are still trying to do with all this title stripping nonsense.

smidbob
02-12-2012, 08:22
Feel the need to stand up for Andrew Smiths, not this one, mind you, just me. Is this the same guy that wrote for the Semtex view? He's forever popping up to sully one of the most common names in Scotland

TPABear
02-12-2012, 08:30
That's fine we don't need them

W3 R THE P3OPLE
02-12-2012, 08:32
We dont want or need a place on there monoply board, these are the same people that put us where we are, at the moment we are doing fine patience is a virtue therefore we can see this show out. They keep on harping on about SPHell doing ok so if its not broken why fix it.

tommo20
02-12-2012, 08:41
Don't want rangers in spl all ****ing 2 faced bastards come through the leage that what 90 percent gers fans want so **** them all

vacuum1690
02-12-2012, 08:51
This is wishful thinking from a bitter rancid Bheast.Reconstruction without us would be absolutely pointless and everyone knows that

Alcatraz Loyal
02-12-2012, 09:00
The SPHell and their mhedia lickspittles are going to a lot of effort to convince themselves they don't need us. Here's a tip, scumbags. We have no wish to be part of your set up, in whatever ridiculous form it takes.

GodStruth
02-12-2012, 09:03
Since the SPL was formed, Celtic have worked to gain influence and eventually dominance in the control of that league/company, both overtly and covertly. This has given them a huge influence on the game and they are desperate for it to continue as an entity for that reason alone

The SPL must die, at all costs,not only for Rangers' benefit, but also for Scottish football as a whole

Roffey
02-12-2012, 09:03
Divide and conquer. Split the SFL ranks to give the SPL an even larger fanbase. That the combined populations of the SPL clubs hometowns are already the largest in Scotland and that they are struggling for sponsorship says to me that this is the last throw. I hope CG has already offered a better financial alternative to the SFL.

Porto Bear
02-12-2012, 09:06
This is wishful thinking from a bitter rancid Bheast.Reconstruction without us would be absolutely pointless and everyone knows that

I agree with this and i am sure the tv companies and sponsors would say the same.

I don't understand the obsession with league splits in this country it's bad enough with the SPL splitting but two leagues becoming three is a crock of sh*t imho.

No wonder our game is in such a state with the clueless idiots we have at the helm.

billymack
02-12-2012, 09:08
just another thought what will happen to the voting structure if they do get the 12 that they are looking for will they accept a 22 to 2 vote, or any other voting structure that hardly gives them a voice, oh and f**k the spl

-bigdaz-
02-12-2012, 09:15
I'm sure the div 2 will be keen to miss a date with the bears next season, where will this extra money come from btw?

canisbaybluenose
02-12-2012, 09:15
I assume then that if this proposal is going forward that Sky are quite happy with 15 rangers games in whatever division and the SPL are confident there TV deal is safe?

I think this is a good thing for us anyway, in that we need a couple of seasons yet before locking horns in the SPL again. We have the bones of a god squad, we just need to give things a bit of time to allow youngsters to develop out of the SPL or whatever replaces it.

I agree with those wanting the demise of the SPL, it would be good for Scottish Football, but it won't happen. Too much effort has been put in to gain control by some and as they won't let that go. Also if they did the unhealthy relationships would be carried on to the new setup. The biggest teams remain powerful, always have and always will in every league.

We need to build bridges and influence, something we have lost over the last 10 years. We need to work hard at it a lot harder than we are at present.

Earl of Leven
02-12-2012, 09:17
This is about ONE thing and one thing only: breaking up SFL and causing divisions. They know that if SFL clubs stand together they're f***ed.

What I can't grasp is how a bankrupt organisation (financially and morally) can bribe anyone?

bloo
02-12-2012, 09:47
problem is that in these hard economic times some or all of the 12 SFL invites might just bite at the extra £300000.

Bazoo
02-12-2012, 09:50
SFL hold firm and the whole prize will be yours.

The only reason you are being offered a bribe of £300k is because they are desperate.

TV deals for the SFL will follow and your own proposals for change has more support.

dh1963
02-12-2012, 09:56
They can dream up whatever set up they like - they know, we know, and the world knows that if there's no Rangers in it then hardly anyone will watch it.

Sasa
02-12-2012, 09:58
So SFL division 2 clubs, mon up to the SPL 2 and we'll give you £300k.

Or stay where you are and get rangers twice a season coming to town and pumping money into your economy.

Doncaster is an absolute parody of himself now. A Mr Bean of the management world.

How can we stop poor attendances at McDiarmid and Rugby Park? Oh I know, chuck Partick Thistle and Dunfermline into the mix.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Earl of Leven
02-12-2012, 09:58
First thing we do is attend next SFL meeting and urge them to 'sit tight' and remind them:

1. You get £2m a year from SPL
2. You now get £2m a year TV deal thanks to us, as well as record crowds

Also..."possibly up to £300,000" is misleading. That is if a club gets into SPL and stays up. How many will?

devilman
02-12-2012, 10:03
They can reconstruct all they want - it won't fix the mess they've created.

steveogt4
02-12-2012, 10:11
am i reading it wrong or is it completey dumb the top four of spl1 play the bottom four of spl2 in playoffs to win the leaque ?

bluevinny
02-12-2012, 10:11
SPL is finished and they know it get it right up the lot ov them

davieb1973
02-12-2012, 10:20
They couldn't even pay the SPL clubs the money due to them, so how would they finance a lower league , giving them all £300,000 at least each.
From even smaller media & sponsorship deals, than they've got at the moment.

beat me to it m8 I concur with yourself where is all this money coming from 12 x 300,000= 3.6 mill and as you said can't make payments at present to thier associate members in sphell at present.

blu14evr
02-12-2012, 10:26
Everything about this nonsense announcement has already been said.....Id just like to say again tho that Andrew Smith is a snivelling little taig bawbag tho....just in case people where under any illusions that he had been paid directly by Liewell to pump out this propaganda shoite

Deco1
02-12-2012, 10:32
SPL = Self Preservation League. Let them rot, they need us more than we need them.

dougieprfc
02-12-2012, 10:36
They can agree what they want, without SFL support it and they will die on their areses.
FTSPL

Dalriadager
02-12-2012, 10:37
****in good, they can **** right off!!

Couldn'y organise a bunfight in a bakery shower of cants

bowmar977
02-12-2012, 10:38
hehehe...good luck with that one you bunch of bawbags. The reason we're not invited is because you know we'll tell you to shove it up your torbett. See ya...Don't wanna be ya.

^^^^This :)

Madrid Bill
02-12-2012, 10:39
The minority of 12 clubs seem desperate to double their numbers quickly.

The SFL clubs will hopefully tell them where to stick it. The biggest team in the country, will be coming your way soon, and the rewards that come with it.

The SPL ball is burst, without us it's a non event, regardless of how they desperately try a re jig it.

They are a minority, and when push comes to shove we will shut them down, if they don't fold first and if the SFL teams stay strong.

bowmar977
02-12-2012, 10:41
problem is that in these hard economic times some or all of the 12 SFL invites might just bite at the extra £300000.

But its not guaranteed - they can't pay SFL what they owe now !

Captain Courageous
02-12-2012, 10:44
SPL as a product is tarnished through the events of the last year, tainted by their actions in seeking to kill off a Scottish institution when it would have been easier to extend the hand of friendship, and now dying the slow death in front of dwindling audiences both at the matches and on tv.

Heavens above, even their league leaders who are playing to go through to the CL last 16 struggled to draw a crowd of 7,489 to a Scottish Cup 4th round tie. The Scottish Cup is the foremost cup competition we have and the second biggest club in Scotland can only manage to draw 7,489?

TV audiences are down with matches from the 4th tier of Scottish football drawing in more than double the viewers that tune into SPL games on more than one occasion. Even matches shown from League 1 are drawing bigger audiences. In terms of attendances, numerous threads on here have highlighted that one club in the 4th tier has occasionally bested the entire SPL attendances on given weekends.

Then you look at the perilous state of club finances. Celtic without the Rangers effect are struggling to attract fans at the gate with even their so called 125 birthday match against Barcelona in the CL failing to sell out. They have been called to account over misleading attendance figures and season ticket sales. The eyes however tell you more than puppets writing for papers ever will. Claims of 44,000 at a recent league match were rebuffed by an insider at Celtic Park who claimed the figure was 24,352. Some puppets were making claims that yesterday's crowd had reached 25,000 when in fact it reached 7,489.

Without the CL money, and with no vendetta against Rangers to pursue to maintain a generations old chip on the shoulder they too would be in dire financial straits. It is only the CL money that is keeping them going however every attendance like yesterday's or like their recent league attendances will eat into any CL profits, so that pit is unlikely to be bottomless.

Aside from Celtic you only need to look at the others in the league to see the impending financial fiscal cliff. Hearts are all but gone and are only able to get by on a week to week basis with help from others, most recently through a 4th tier team being able to pay them £300,000 as an instalment for one of their better players. How though will they go on to meet the financial requirements beyond Christmas?

Dundee Hibernian, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Caley Thistle and St Mirren have all expressed concerns over their finances, with the remaining clubs being more discreet in voicing their concerns.

Dundee and Motherwell have recently had at least one financial crisis and so are not best placed either to survive long term.

All of the above tells me that the SPL is effectively trading insolvently with at least half of their member clubs in real danger of going under.

What is the answer?

In my opinion there is no easy solution. It is clear that SPL is doomed and it is beyond doubt in my mind that reintroducing Rangers to the mix would still be insufficient to turn around such a financial quagmire. One club, albeit the most successful with a revived fan base cannot make the difference that the Scottish Premier League needs.

Nor can that one club singlehandedly save, or be expected to save Scottish football. The SFL teams in Division 3 are enjoying the financial and publicity boost that having Rangers in their division has brought, while the others in the 2 divisions above look forward eagerly to their turn to enrichen their finances.

That is not the best way forward for Scottish football, or for Rangers.

Not only is the SPL dead in the water, so too is Scottish football. It is time for Rangers to seriously explore the possibility of entering new leagues, or being part of discussions to set up these new leagues such as those currently being attempted in Eastern Europe. It is also time for Rangers to wave goodbye to the failed administrators of the SPL and SFA who will continue to expect too much of our club at too high a price. We have carried Scottish football on the back of a roller coaster for decades and its now time for the fairground to close. The days of the one trick pony being a success are long gone. I wish the SFL well because it has to be acknowledged that their business model as it stands at the moment does not have the same difficulties on the same level as the SPL, it is not the SFL that is in trouble. If they buy into the ludicrous plan being put forward then they too will be in trouble.

Ask any broadcaster if they would prefer to show Airdrie (no disrespect) versus Dundee Utd or Anderlecht versus Rangers, which game would they want to show or even bid on? Ask the attending fan if they would rather watch Rangers versus Clyde or Anderlecht versus Rangers and see which one they would choose.

Ask the major sponsors the same question. You will get the same answers.

In my opinion for Scottish football to have any chance their leagues must become more competitive and I would do this by removing Rangers and Celtic from that picture, but still have them provide reserve or youth teams to the league structure.

I would change the league structure and the amount of senior teams. I would have 2 leagues of sixteen named SFL1 and 2. Then would have 3 teams relegated, with the first 2 in SFL2 being automatic promotions and the teams from 3rd to 6th playing in play offs as they have done down south for nearly 20 years.

Promotion to the SFL is something I would also seriously consider with an attempt being made to at least look at including junior teams if it were possible to arrange akin to the conference set up.

Just my tuppence worth but I would be willing to bet it would do more for the Scottish game than the SPL plan.

RWBBear
They just don't get it do they :doh:.

We are not interested in playing in their corrupt little league!

They need to get over it ffs.

old bluebell
wonder what SKY and sponsors will think of that eh?

Madrid Bill
02-12-2012, 10:45
am i reading it wrong or is it completey dumb the top four of spl1 play the bottom four of spl2 in playoffs to win the leaque ?

You are reading it wrong.

The top 8 in the top division stay there and play for the league and the 4 or 5 euro places.
Giving most something to play for, for most of the year.

The remaining 4 play the top 4 in the Second tier...
With top 4 going up again and bottom 4 playing in SPL II the following year.

The bottom 8 of SPL II play to stay in the league with upto 4 teams going down! :blink:

blueismycolour
02-12-2012, 10:45
Good, we will continue to embarrass them as we make our way through the leagues.

CPA Bluenose
02-12-2012, 10:47
Why would a handful of SFL clubs take a wee bribe now when they can hold tight and see the entire SFL break the corrupt cabals stranglehold on all the money.

Sit tight and see a fairer distribution of cash forever.

Big picture Mr Longmuir, big picture.

im_a_good_bluenose
02-12-2012, 10:49
Why are the football powers that be in his shitehole of a country obsessed by a bloody split? Current one is bad enough but this proposal is absurd.
Bin the idea and have a proper league. Here's an idea 18 clubs home and away matches 34 games a season with a winter break job done.
Oh wait that's to simple.

scottylad72
02-12-2012, 10:49

Like button well and truly pressed.

Valley Bluenose
02-12-2012, 10:50
I'm not sure I'm in favour of this idea but a simple way for Green to get the SFL clubs on board would be to agree to a review of the home gate split for league matches in the SFL. Needn't be 50/50 but that would be the start point.

The chance of a cut of the home gates from Rangers matches as they work up through the divisions is probably more attractive than any ifs, buts or maybes from the SPL.

As I said, I'm not sure I buy into the idea, but many on here have argued that the introduction of a fairer split of the gates (as it used to be, in fairness) is the only way to get Scottish football back on it's feet.

53easy
02-12-2012, 10:52
I'm not sure I'm in favour of this idea but a simple way for Green to get the SFL clubs on board would be to agree to a review of the home gate split for league matches in the SFL. Needn't be 50/50 but that would be the start point.

The chance of a cut of the home gates from Rangers matches as they work up through the divisions is probably more attractive than any ifs, buts or maybes from the SPL.

As I said, I'm not sure I buy into the idea, but many on here have argued that the introduction of a fairer split of the gates (as it used to be, in fairness) is the only way to get Scottish football back on it's feet.

I'm totally against that idea....

Give then half of the away allocation sold at very most.

rangers352
02-12-2012, 11:04
Cast your mind back to the summer, Turnbull Hutton apart, the SFL clubs acted with the best interests of SCOTTISH FOOTBALL in mind and not their own agendas. How many of the current division one clubs would have LOVED the income that Rangers are generating right now for the Div 3 clubs?

The SFL has the power and the future in their hands right now and the SPL know it. Let's just hope that we don't have any scabs breaking the picket line and in due course we can have a league that is best for us all, not just Liewell and his cronies.

masterblue
02-12-2012, 11:04
As much as it pains me to say this.
Peter Liewell will be pounding on Greens door if he has any sense,infact wee speccy chucking it last week is the first sign.
Liewell knows his club is going down the tubes and he and Desmond know where the money is made.
Its anywhere we are playing.

Sam_English
02-12-2012, 11:05
Good - I'd rather we worked our way through the League's and leave the SPL to go belly up

hawkfalcons
02-12-2012, 11:14

exactly for the spl to say they dont need us they spend a hell of a lot of time talking about us:confused:

Top_Cat
02-12-2012, 11:15
Good, suits me fine

mineral1992
02-12-2012, 11:22
They really can't help themselves, the toxic spl product is complete dirt and yet here they are defiant and perpetually offended until the bitter end. And boy is it going to be bitter. **** them, it was a woeful competition even when we were in it.

baselbear
02-12-2012, 11:22
I would like to publicly state that Kiera Knightley and Scarlett Johansson are NOT invited to my Xmas dinner.
However much they plead.

9inaROW89/97
02-12-2012, 11:23
As if the spl wasnt bad enough they come up with this ridiculous format, glad we wont be a part of scottish footballs latest embarresment

ranger1873
02-12-2012, 11:29
Knock, knock
Who's there?
The SPL
**** off.

Earl of Leven
02-12-2012, 11:30
Anyone actually mentioned the fact yet that we don't want fast-tracked to the SPL?

Sergio
02-12-2012, 11:31
Time for the SFL to break away altogether.

Jelle1880
02-12-2012, 11:32
They need us, it's clear as day.
All they do is keep peddling this crap, in the hope that we make the first move so they can make it look like we're begging to let in.

Well, tough.

WeeBudsBud
02-12-2012, 11:35
First thing we do is attend next SFL meeting and urge them to 'sit tight' and remind them:

1. You get £2m a year from SPL
2. You now get £2m a year TV deal thanks to us, as well as record crowds

Also..."possibly up to £300,000" is misleading. That is if a club gets into SPL and stays up. How many will?

Exactly.

"Here`s forty quid for your seasons efforts"

"Emmm Mr Donkey, you said we`d get up to £300k?"

"What part of 'up to' don`t you understand, plebs"

Also, if the leagues split into 3 groups, how do they tell who gets promotion :confused: They`ve not really thought it through have they?

Earl of Leven
02-12-2012, 11:37
I don't think SFL clubs will fall for this....£300k a 10 clubs is more money than SPL can dream of let alone provide.

hurleyreyes
02-12-2012, 11:49
The remaining 4 play the top 4 in the Second tier...
With top 4 going up again and bottom 4 playing in SPL II the following year.

The bottom 8 of SPL II play to stay in the league with upto 4 teams going down! :blink:

So how do they work out the champions of SPL2? The top club at before the split? Who will stil have 14 games to play to earn the right to be in SPL 1? Or the top SPL 2 team in the split.
Also will those teams start the split on zero as the SPL 2 team will have a shed load more points than the bottom SPL 1 team.
Its facking crazy idea.

frankieboy
02-12-2012, 11:51
We will do it the right way....work our way up the divisions.... They miss us more than we miss them>:)>:)

In one mate.

baxterboy
02-12-2012, 11:52
when the SPL expelled Rangers, they relinquished their power advantage.

with Rangers, the SFL now have equal power with the SPL.

this SPL reconstruction proposal has been well received by the SFL, right enough.
it has helped reduce the SFL budget considerably - no need for toilet paper in SPL's hampden lavvies for the next wee while!

JobearGer
02-12-2012, 11:57
The SPHell objective is simply to entice 12 SFL Clubs to join, under any guise, which would give the corrupt phukkers a majority of 24 Clubs against 18 remaining in the SFL.

Hopefully David Longmuir sees through the corrupt and biased SPL plan and convinces the SFL Clubs to stay put, as they will be the ONLY Football Association in Scotland, in the very near future:):)

WeeBudsBud
02-12-2012, 11:58
So how do they work out the champions of SPL2? The top club at before the split? Who will stil have 14 games to play to earn the right to be in SPL 1? Or the top SPL 2 team in the split.
Also will those teams start the split on zero as the SPL 2 team will have a shed load more points than the bottom SPL 1 team.
Its facking crazy idea.

Spot on mate.

Any team having a disastrous start to the campaign will have no chance of making promotion were they to go on a good run of wins. The damage is already done.

WeeBudsBud
02-12-2012, 12:00
The SPHell objective is simply to entice 12 SFL Clubs to join, under any guise, which would give the corrupt phukkers a majority of 24 Clubs against 18 remaining in the SFL.

Hopefully David Longmuir sees through the corrupt and biased SPL plan and convinces the SFL Clubs to stay put, as they will be the ONLY Football Association in Scotland, in the very near future:):)
Without a doubt this is the aim.

GingerFurball
02-12-2012, 12:04

Provided that clubs are allowed to keep 100% of all season ticket monies raised then I wouldn't be opposed to this idea.

BroomhouseBear
02-12-2012, 12:05
When will these thick c*nts get the message, we don't want fast tracked into the SPL or Div 1. Any attempts to do this certainly won't be for our benefit but for that of the corrupt SPL.

blueman14
02-12-2012, 12:09
Is it not in the SFL rules that no club can succeed without giving a few years notice?

chas
02-12-2012, 12:11
The SFL could force the SFA's hand over reconstruction if a stalemate between SFL/SPL remains. I think they are enough SPL clubs who would jump ship to the SFL for the benefit of the overall game and self preservation. If this happens the SPL is finished.

Cannot wait for the implosion!!!

WATP

bluefish
02-12-2012, 12:30
the sfl should give there proposal and invite spl clubs to join the sfl.

If the spl has not paid what it should be paying the spl clubs on time i would assume this would be breach of contract and therefore no notice needs to be given.

This would have two benefits, gets more clubs under sfl control and make it easier to reconstruct Scottish football for the good of all and get better sponsorship, 2nd it gets rid of the donkeys in charge of the spl.

At the end of the day Scottish football needs to be under 1 banner and its just a case of who is in control of that banner, I for one think those running the sfl are far better than those in charge of the sinking ship that is the spl.

47blue
02-12-2012, 13:04
Great news,let them have it

ldk68
02-12-2012, 13:24
I want the SPHell 'fastracked' to oblivion ! >:)

scottishslybacon
02-12-2012, 13:41
never mind agree to it no-one would WANT it . I agree with the SPL policy to gain top flight football, teams must get there on merit.
As for top flight football in Scotland, if the SPL is still in place with the current management when we get back to the point of rejoining then I hope that charles Green sticks to his guns and tells them to F*** right off.

:scarf:

mad4rfcme
02-12-2012, 13:45
They can ram it.

Larkie_Deek
02-12-2012, 13:48
When is the sky tv contract up?

Then the SPL will be burst

mpayton15277
02-12-2012, 13:54
I stopped at "we are opened minded"
Wouldnt this get us in the top flight one season earlier anyway?

My problem is that if it goes through,not only has the SPL survived but they're controlling more of the game.
We wouldn't beable to play in D1(2nd tier) and refuse promotion to SPL as we would be at SPL mercy even in 2nd tier.
They would keep the witch hunt going,if HMRC appeal,knowing it would be easy to fine us when we are in one of their leagues.

heresto55
02-12-2012, 14:22
What is this corpse called the SPL ?

jmw1972
02-12-2012, 14:51
SFL need to reject and force a counter proposal. Watch the Tower of Babal crumble.

noucamp72
02-12-2012, 15:20
Why does our name keep cropping up in any SPL proposals designed to save their own necks ?

Go feck yourselves you shower of corrupt bastards.

GodStruth
02-12-2012, 15:22
Nice to see David Longmuir at the game today and having a wee chat with Wattie at the start ;)

jaws73
02-12-2012, 15:24
When is the sky tv contract up?

Then the SPL will be burst

Didn't Sky tell the SPL they would only entertain the top league without Rangers for one season?

They are ****ed next season IMO.

Buddiebearette
02-12-2012, 15:25
why do they all seem to think we are desperate to get back?

Fisher23
02-12-2012, 15:29
there will be no mechanism to allow Rangers to be fast-tracked into the 
proposed new set-up.

Good.

I wouldn't want that anyway.

**** the SPL!

Phalcon
02-12-2012, 15:36
Yep Fck off and die .......

fatmac2271
02-12-2012, 15:45
It tells us a lot when they want it pushed through for next season.

They are going down the sinkhole with no rope to climb back out. last chance for them.

I don't think we give the SFL clubs enough credit, there are a lot of wise men out there who have had to steer their clubs through thin times with very little over a long period. They will not jump ship for an unspecified amount just because the SPL says so

slimjimbaxter
02-12-2012, 15:50
As it only applies to SPL and SFL 1 why mention Rangers at all Andrew, could it be because we are the only show in town.

skorn
02-12-2012, 16:10
" ... no mechanism to allow Rangers to be fast-tracked into the
proposed new set-up..." ???

Oh no -- I'm effing heartbroken.

Nah, not really -- they can go and ram it up their ar*es.

I honestly wouldn't want us to go back there if they begged us tomorrow.

Let the bast*rds suffer and rot in their own filth.

rednblack
02-12-2012, 16:19
The arrogance of the SPHELthe contempt with is truly breathtaking, what right have they to dictate to the majority of Scottish Football Clubs how they should run their business. Based on their model any sensible Chairman and board should run a mile the contempt they treat the SFL with is staggering, these bully bhoy tactics need to be exposed and hopefully the SFL will do exactly that, the threats never worked before so let the SPHELL rot in their own Sh*t

Rt. Hon. Bearman
02-12-2012, 16:28
I'm devastated we can't get back in, it's a league with so much going for it after all:roll::D

paisleyprod
02-12-2012, 16:30
They can f u c k right off. They are bottling it

im_a_good_bluenose
02-12-2012, 16:33
I would like to publicly state that Kiera Knightley and Scarlett Johansson are NOT invited to my Xmas dinner.
However much they plead.

they wouldnt have come anyway as theyre coming to mine:p

isawthat
02-12-2012, 16:42

They want us back badly, but won't embarrass themselves by inviting us in, only to be told to push off, we want nothing to do with you.

When that day comes, I want it to be Sir Walter that tells them to stick it!!!!!!!!

montyplums
02-12-2012, 16:42
a 'Source' said this, a 'Source' said that..... F*cking sh*te - hate that kind of reporting.

M A R T I N
02-12-2012, 16:45
Most Likely due to the fact Charles green went public saying he will tell them to ram it :D.

Keeps01
02-12-2012, 17:02
"Rushed through for the start of next season". Why?
Were we not given a statement only last week, that everything was rosy in the SPhell garden?

New statement for them.
"Our flush is busted, we made a Mike Hunt of it. Who wants to bail us out?"

jimbear
02-12-2012, 17:26
Do we really care? As things stand, I actually believe that they need us a great deal more than we need them! When I hear some of that mob's supporters coming onto phone ins, as they were last night, and saying that they miss playing us, it tells you something. We certainly don't miss playing them.

jimbear
02-12-2012, 17:41
Do we really care? As things stand, I actually believe that they need us a great deal more than we need them! When I hear some of that mob's supporters coming onto phone ins, as they were last night, and saying that they miss playing us, it tells you something. We certainly don't miss playing them.

essingtonwes
02-12-2012, 17:50
And this is news? Lazy Twat, why cant he fabricate an exclusive.

white owl
02-12-2012, 18:06
how much would they make with us in the second division, might rival the 300k offered