PDA

View Full Version : Disabled facilities at Ibrox

rangers_2001
01-12-2012, 18:56
Was on the phone to my brother there making arrangements for the game tomorrow. He was telling me that his mate who had a climbing accident about a year ago and is in a wheelchair was wanting to come along. My brother phoned the ticket office to enquire about disabled access and was told that the only way someone in a wheelchair can get access is if they have a season ticket and apply at the start of the season.

Surely this cannot be the case? What about disabled people who cannot commit to going every week or maybe don't live in Glasgow?

imager
01-12-2012, 19:05
Was on the phone to my brother there making arrangements for the game tomorrow. He was telling me that his mate who had a climbing accident about a year ago and is in a wheelchair was wanting to come along. My brother phoned the ticket office to enquire about disabled access and was told that the only way someone in a wheelchair can get access is if they have a season ticket and apply at the start of the season.

Surely this cannot be the case? What about disabled people who cannot commit to going every week or maybe don't live in Glasgow?

The disabled facilities at Ibrox are very inadequate, as are a lot of older Stadia, at the moment there are only a set number of places where the severely disabled can be accomodated, this is something which RFC will be forced to remedy asap.

leerfc51
01-12-2012, 19:05
Must admit its a bit of a disgrace the small amount of seats we have for people in wheelchairs and they get have out free as season tickets, not fair on the ones who would like to go everyweek and they can't.

There is a Match to Match Membership Scheme he should apply at the sart of the season which he will be allocated 1/2 games per season and also added on the season ticket waiting list.

As there isn't a great amount of space for disabled supporters in wheelchairs who like to attend our games I think it should be Match to Match Membership for all games and no season tickets gave out unless the demand isn't as high as I thought.

Not being disrespectful to the club at all because the effort, time and curtesy they show to the less fortunate supporters is second to none.

rangers_2001
01-12-2012, 19:15
The disabled facilities at Ibrox are very inadequate, as are a lot of older Stadia, at the moment there are only a set number of places where the severely disabled can be accomodated, this is something which RFC will be forced to remedy asap.

I just wasnt sure whether my brother was told the wrong thing at the ticket office. It's something I have never really noticed at Ibrox probably because I have never been there with someone in a wheelchair. Seems a bit harsh on those who want to attend the occasional game.

tcbuzz
01-12-2012, 20:11
If I recall correctly we only had wheelchair access to the west enclosure until a couple of years ago, when after the Tims complained some spaces were put in the Broomloan.

There is a shocking amount of disabled access for a club, and a stadium of its size.

rangers_2001
01-12-2012, 20:13
Maybe I'm wrong but surely there are some sort of laws regarding wheelchair access? As in they have to make a certain amount of spaces available.

ayeready72
01-12-2012, 20:23
Rip out the screens and get access in there.

Plenty of space for 1st class disabled space!

RFC_Falkirk
01-12-2012, 20:25

*Insert "Not this shit again" image*

forlanssister
01-12-2012, 20:42
Maybe I'm wrong but surely there are some sort of laws regarding wheelchair access? As in they have to make a certain amount of spaces available.

There are but the preference of RFC is to ignore them, it took the imminent launch of legal action from those across the city before RFC installed the 4 spaces in the Broomloan.

Come 2014 and the new UEFA regulations regarding wheelchair fans and the provision of facilities then as things presently stand we won't be playing European games at Ibrox.

forlanssister
01-12-2012, 21:03
Where did I say take it off the wheelchair supporters? I said in my opinion there shouldn't be season tickets as there isn't enough to go around the demand and unfair on the ones who would like to attend everygame do you not agree?

Why should I be denied a season ticket for Ibrox simply because I use a wheelchair? You completely miss the point, the way to manage the demand is to construct adequate facilities to meet the demand, it's not f*&king rocket science.

And frankly that isn't bollox because I have been taking my cousin to Ibrox the last couple of seasons in his wheelchair and the help from the club has been brilliant, who knows how long he will be able to attend with the disease he has got, but can't thank the club enough to be honest.

It is bollox, I know because I witness it first hand on a regular basis.

I do agree the facility's and number available are shocking though and heard they are looking to improve it.

Looking to improve it? That's a stock answer another of their favourite chestnuts is," plans are away being costed". I sat in a meeting room full of RFC employees and asked why disabled facilities weren't included in the corners at the time of construction the reply was, "There wasn't enough demand", which considering I have a letter written by the then RDSC secretary that at the time of the Govan corners being constructed the waiting list for a wheelchair space was over a decade long sums up the attitude of those in power at RFC towards their wheelchair using fans.

chic
01-12-2012, 22:17
Mr. Green,if these accusations are correct please get the finger out to help the disabled fans of the Bears.

bilkobear
01-12-2012, 22:22
When I was a boy there used to be a huge amount of disabled cars all around the track at Ibrox; in the enclosure I encountered many disable people enjoying the football even the blind.

Am I wrong in my memories?

Royal Burgh Fanatic
01-12-2012, 22:29
I've had a bit of discussion on this matter before with Forlans sister.

I can't understand why the club hasn't put a number of spaces in place in the GE corner for wheelchair users, they made alterations to the GW corner for away fans and it can't have cost that much.

The present West Enclosure position for the majority of the Bears who are disabled is not ideal either as it is open to the elements.

bilkobear
01-12-2012, 22:32
Why should I be denied a season ticket for Ibrox simply because I use a wheelchair? You completely miss the point, the way to manage the demand is to construct adequate facilities to meet the demand, it's not f*&king rocket science.

It is bollox, I know because I witness it first hand on a regular basis.

Looking to improve it? That's a stock answer another of their favourite chestnuts is," plans are away being costed". I sat in a meeting room full of RFC employees and asked why disabled facilities weren't included in the corners at the time of construction the reply was, "There wasn't enough demand", which considering I have a letter written by the then RDSC secretary that at the time of the Govan corners being constructed the waiting list for a wheelchair space was over a decade long sums up the attitude of those in power at RFC towards their wheelchair using fans.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but with the power of the web, would it not be a good idea for disabled supporters to use this medium to set up a Rangers Disabled Supporters Group?
A forum and support group and indeed a power block that could enable them, with support from us all to get the facilities they need at Ibrox?

I had an Uncle, now dead, who followed Rangers as part of his life until he became blind.
Attached to his radio without the ability to go to Ibrox he continued to follow the club with a fervour that would put many an FF addict to shame.
He taught me more about Rangers than actually attending matches ever did, because he knew from the heart everything about the club and more.
He was a cultural encyclopaedia.

Today, he would and should enjoy the experience and safety of attending the place that he loved more than any.
If we cannot give this to others disabled then we have come nowhere in the last forty years and should be deeply ashamed.

This is a topic that should engage us all.

trueblue4
01-12-2012, 22:56

I have been disabled since 1996 was a debenture seat holder and sold it back to the club for 25.00 so they could re-sell it, I have been trying since the 1997-98 season to get to at least one match in my wheelchair, there is a ten year waiting list plus we only have 25 spaces for wheelchairs, it breaks my heart to say this but the other lot cater far better for their disabled support than we do. Rant over.

forlanssister
01-12-2012, 22:58
I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but with the power of the web, would it not be a good idea for disabled supporters to use this medium to set up a Rangers Disabled Supporters Group?
A forum and support group and indeed a power block that could enable them, with support from us all to get the facilities they need at Ibrox?

There already is a RDSC you may not unreasonably assume that it a vehicle for representing all the wheelchair fans but alas no, to be a member of the RDSC you have to have a season ticket for a wheelchair space (there's circa 55) those on the waiting list cannot join so have no unified voice with which to lobby the club, yet perversely non RDSC members sit on the committee of the RDSC despite them being ineligible for membership, absolutely bizarre.

I had an Uncle, now dead, who followed Rangers as part of his life until he became blind.
Attached to his radio without the ability to go to Ibrox he continued to follow the club with a fervour that would put many an FF addict to shame.
He taught me more about Rangers than actually attending matches ever did, because he knew from the heart everything about the club and more.
He was a cultural encyclopaedia.

Today, he would and should enjoy the experience and safety of attending the place that he loved more than any.
If we cannot give this to others disabled then we have come nowhere in the last forty years and should be deeply ashamed.

This is a topic that should engage us all.

Agreed something needs to be done, I've been banging my head against a brick wall for years, it's been a lonely furrow but I'll keep ploughing.

There's an organisation funded by UEFA called EuroCAFE to promote awareness and make football accessible to all, the UK branch is run by a Hearts fan called Keith Ferguson, he's been trying for years to arrange a meeting with Rangers yet the club refuses to meet him the only club (as far as I'm aware) to take such a standpoint.

trueblue4
01-12-2012, 23:24
I was at a seminar in Argyle House 2 years ago there were about 40 of us there, we were all trying to work out how to approach the club regarding wheelchair users, as has been stated we have limited space and there is a game by game scheme, there is also at least a ten year waiting list,

I only became disabled in 1996, after the 8 in A Row win over Aberdeen I was descending the stairs and took a massive cerable hemorrhage, and haven't been able to go back since, due to a lack of space it's not for the want of trying, it's the same situation for a lot of Rangers supporters who are disabled, my health has deteriorated over the years but I'd still love just once to get to Ibrox for a game, the closest I've been is being in the Argyle Suite for a meal and looking over at the Bill Struth Stand.

whilst we were at this seminar a lady brought up the situation about her young son who was nine at the time, his dad and brothers could go but he couldn't, she had tried everything, even offering exorbitant amounts of money to get him in to a game, with no luck.

The girl that took the seminar asked if we would be willing to let just one of the group go to our next home game, we said it would be great even if one were to get to see the Rangers, she picked that wee boy, his mother couldn't say anything she was absolutely over the moon and breaking her heart with joy.

That's what makes the Rangers the family we are, 39 of us couldn't give a toss as long as one of us got to see the Rangers.

bilkobear
01-12-2012, 23:27
There already is a RDSC you may not unreasonably assume that it a vehicle for representing all the wheelchair fans but alas no, to be a member of the RDSC you have to have a season ticket for a wheelchair space (there's circa 55) those on the waiting list cannot join so have no unified voice with which to lobby the club, yet perversely non RDSC members sit on the committee of the RDSC despite them being ineligible for membership, absolutely bizarre.

Agreed something needs to be done, I've been banging my head against a brick wall for years, it's been a lonely furrow but I'll keep ploughing.

There's an organisation funded by UEFA called EuroCAFE to promote awareness and make football accessible to all, the UK branch is run by a Hearts fan called Keith Ferguson, he's been trying for years to arrange a meeting with Rangers yet the club refuses to meet him the only club (as far as I'm aware) to take such a standpoint.
This is in itself not good enough from Rangers.

Rangers, as we have seen recently, are by far the biggest club in Scotland with the biggest potential support both inside the ground and outside.
Rangers thus should be the leaders and not just led when it comes to matters of disabled supporters.

Personally I am shocked that we are not engaging with this aspect of our support more diligently.

Anyone reading this thread that has access to any of the figures inside Ibrox should be bringing this to their attention.

We should not make this a case of our disabled supporters seeking Rangers out, we should be actively as a club seeking them out and making Ibrox a safe haven for them to attend as much as we possibly are able to, and encouraging them to visit.

Rangers cannot be a global brand if it cannot first and foremost be a simple accessible brand for all of the community on its doorstep.

But Charles Green will surely recognise this, any failure to do so will shame the Rangers family.

bilkobear
01-12-2012, 23:43
I was at a seminar in Argyle House 2 years ago there were about 40 of us there, we were all trying to work out how to approach the club regarding wheelchair users, as has been stated we have limited space and there is a game by game scheme, there is also at least a ten year waiting list,

I only became disabled in 1996, after the 8 in A Row win over Aberdeen I was descending the stairs and took a massive cerable hemorrhage, and haven't been able to go back since, due to a lack of space it's not for the want of trying, it's the same situation for a lot of Rangers supporters who are disabled, my health has deteriorated over the years but I'd still love just once to get to Ibrox for a game, the closest I've been is being in the Argyle Suite for a meal and looking over at the Bill Struth Stand.

whilst we were at this seminar a lady brought up the situation about her young son who was nine at the time, his dad and brothers could go but he couldn't, she had tried everything, even offering exorbitant amounts of money to get him in to a game, with no luck.

The girl that took the seminar asked if we would be willing to let just one of the group go to our next home game, we said it would be great even if one were to get to see the Rangers, she picked that wee boy, his mother couldn't say anything she was absolutely over the moon and breaking her heart with joy.

That's what makes the Rangers the family we are, 39 of us couldn't give a toss as long as one of us got to see the Rangers.

I am a bit pissed and knackered but cannot ignore this.

The fact is that a very large percentage of us at one stage or the other will for many different reasons find ourselves in some way disabled.
This is not a separate tribe.
This is just another area of the Rangers Supporting experience.
One that any one of us may one day engage with.

The enabling of good accessible facilities for all supporters must be at the top of any agenda for decent supporters of our football club.
We have the ability to accommodate all the supporters at Ibrox who want to see the club and we are damned if we ignore a single section of that vital seam of supporting gold that is the lifeblood of the club.

Rangers must simply do everything they can to make our football club completely accessible to all of our valuable support.

forlanssister
01-12-2012, 23:59

The match to match scheme evolved out of a meeting I (and others) had with James Eagen (sp) the then head of ticketing at Ibrox, Mr Eagen also took the distribution of wheelchair tickets and the waiting list in house from the RDSC. I wish they'd had the m2m scheme during the 19 years I spent waiting for a wheelchair space.

Without meaning to denigrate your own personal plight there are many examples that fall into the same category.

Things are so bad that on occasion in order to accommodate some Erskine veterans the ticket office have had to ring up season ticket holders and ask them not to attend!

Sadly again that's an example I'm all too familiar with.

rangers_2001
02-12-2012, 03:24
I am a bit pissed and knackered but cannot ignore this.

The fact is that a very large percentage of us at one stage or the other will for many different reasons find ourselves in some way disabled.
This is not a separate tribe.
This is just another area of the Rangers Supporting experience.
One that any one of us may one day engage with.

The enabling of good accessible facilities for all supporters must be at the top of any agenda for decent supporters of our football club.
We have the ability to accommodate all the supporters at Ibrox who want to see the club and we are damned if we ignore a single section of that vital seam of supporting gold that is the lifeblood of the club.

Rangers must simply do everything they can to make our football club completely accessible to all of our valuable support.

Ok then. Lets do something about it. When I originally posted I never knew how much of a problem it was. Lets get on at the club. There are empty seats every week but still several disabled fans who can't get tickets. Surely something can be worked out?

icrfc
02-12-2012, 03:28

Right at the top of the stairs, not really handy for a disabled section is it?

Bearfaced
02-12-2012, 04:51
The disabled facilities at Ibrox are very inadequate, as are a lot of older Stadia, at the moment there are only a set number of places where the severely disabled can be accommodated, this is something which RFC will be forced to remedy asap.

I can remember Murray promising, state of the art Disabled facilities , if you want to know how long ago, that was, find out the last time , we held a shareholders meeting , sitting in the Broomloan stand.
I remember because , I asked if they could be moved away from, in front of the West Enclosure, to the East, to get them away from Opposition fans

Kennynic
02-12-2012, 07:28
I had no idea this was a problem until I read this thread. Absolute disgrace we cannot make few simple adjustments somehow to accommodate wheelchair users with acceptable facilities. Surely something can be worked out - just needs the willingness to do so.

The Railway Bear
02-12-2012, 07:49
I am actually quite shocked reading this thread, what an appalling way to treat members of our support. One question, has anything changed during Charles Green's tenure, has he personally been addressed with the issue? Reading this thread has saddened me, I'm quite ashamed at the way the club appears to have been handling this (or not) for many years.

tcbuzz
02-12-2012, 08:26
Consodering for many years we had an owner who was disabled, highlights how shocking the situation is.

Considering the support and encouragement we give our ex and current servicemen, the situation is shocking.

Surely DDA regulations must dictate we do something about this. Surely we can pressure the clubabout this.

johngreigbck
02-12-2012, 09:01
I am actually quite shocked reading this thread, what an appalling way to treat members of our support. One question, has anything changed during Charles Green's tenure, has he personally been addressed with the issue? Reading this thread has saddened me, I'm quite ashamed at the way the club appears to have been handling this (or not) for many years.

My sentiments exactly railway bear, I actually feel pretty bad as the thought for our disabled fans has never entered my head and I feel quite selfish reading this:( we as a club/support claim to be a family but maybe we need to do a little more for the disabled in our family.

rangers_2001
02-12-2012, 09:50
My sentiments exactly railway bear, I actually feel pretty bad as the thought for our disabled fans has never entered my head and I feel quite selfish reading this:( we as a club/support claim to be a family but maybe we need to do a little more for the disabled in our family.

I am exactly the same mate. Had selfishly never considered it until it affected someone I know.

old bluebell
02-12-2012, 11:03
while it is not always the case ,a lot of disabled supporters who would love to buy a season ticket are on reduced incomes and cant afford to go every game , would be nice to be able to have some space for these fans to be able to be able to have facilities made available maybe on a rota basis , their love of rangers is not reduced because their income is

trueblue4
02-12-2012, 11:31
I am truly heartened by the response to this situation, I never knew so many of our support care about this, we need to highlight this to Mr Green and give him an opportunity to do something, I know we cannot ask him to do everything in a day, and try and fix everything in such a short time at the club, but I know from the noises he makes he loves the Rangers support, and wants us all included.

I couldn't care less if I never saw the Rangers live again as long as there are changes to help the disabled support see the Rangers.

I can only thank those on this thread that are giving out good sounbites and advice, on how to change it.

Oliver Sudden
02-12-2012, 11:37
Consodering for many years we had an owner who was disabled, highlights how shocking the situation is.

Considering the support and encouragement we give our ex and current servicemen, the situation is shocking.

Surely DDA regulations must dictate we do something about this. Surely we can pressure the clubabout this.

Only applies to buildings built post introduction ( 1995 ) IIRC .

johngreigbck
02-12-2012, 12:52
Just had a look 31 posts on an empty piggery 95 viewing, and only 30 posts 3 viewing on this thread, makes you wonder where our priorities are.

ZurichBear
02-12-2012, 14:54
What a thoroughly disturbing thread... :(

I knew there was problems gaining disabled access to Ibrox but not to this extent.

To quantify things can anyone say exactly how many spaces there are and how many should Rangers be providing realistically?

For instance what percentage of the population are confined to a wheelchair? This should provide as a minimum the number of spaces we should be looking to provide...

edit - just had a wee Google there and 1.5% of the UK population are confined to a wheelchair. We would need 750 spaces at Ibrox then to satisfy demand using this figure as a rule of thumb. It's not difficult to see why this is a problem...

TeddyBearOne
02-12-2012, 16:56
I had the misfortune to have tried the disability section at Ibrox /Can't see game far to low, stuck at the end of the park at Broomloan end . It's freezing as the wind blows through the gap between the stands/ get soak when raining this is no way to treat disabled supporters. I changed back to the Goven stand asap with my old friend. Things must change at Ibrox , my advice don't take your brother in this type of weather.

vallance_artist
02-12-2012, 16:57
My disabled friend is on the Match2Match scheme, he'd love a season ticket but realises he'll probably never get one under the present set-up.

He's been allocated 2 matches this season for him and his carer, next week against Stirling Albion and another match in January.

If he's very lucky he'll get a phone call from the Ticket Office and sometimes the Rangers Charity Foundation to say they have a spare
wheelchair space for an upcoming match.

He'd love to attend all the home games like he used to before his illness, but there's just no room to accommodate every disabled person
who wants to attend.

The staff in the Ticket Office and Charity Foundation are very good and do their best to help, but they have an impossible job.

Unfortunately we once had a disabled owner who only cared about himself and no one else, disabled or otherwise.

If Rangers can somehow create more disabled spaces that would be fantastic - it may not mean that everyone will be able to attend
every game, but at least it may mean that wheelchair supporters may be able to attend more than 2 games per season.

The only bonus at present is that wheelchair users and their carers don't have to pay for their tickets.

Just done a google search and found this info which was posted on Rangers Media:

65 spaces in the West Enclosure
4 spaces in the Broomloan
7 spaces in the Govan West Corner (away fans)
All spaces include a seat for a carer
15 year long waiting list for a season ticket

forlanssister
02-12-2012, 20:48
What a thoroughly disturbing thread... :(

I knew there was problems gaining disabled access to Ibrox but not to this extent.

To quantify things can anyone say exactly how many spaces there are and how many should Rangers be providing realistically?

For instance what percentage of the population are confined to a wheelchair? This should provide as a minimum the number of spaces we should be looking to provide...

edit - just had a wee Google there and 1.5% of the UK population are confined to a wheelchair. We would need 750 spaces at Ibrox then to satisfy demand using this figure as a rule of thumb. It's not difficult to see why this is a problem...

The figures Vallance Artist gives are accurate.

To comply with the upcoming UEFA regulations my understanding that it'll be 0.5% of ground capacity meaning circa 200 more, however sticking them pitchside will not suffice as there has to be a clear unobstructed view, shelter and a choice of sections (not just once section lumping everyone together).

jimmyhm
02-12-2012, 21:04
When I was a boy there used to be a huge amount of disabled cars all around the track at Ibrox; in the enclosure I encountered many disable people enjoying the football even the blind.

Am I wrong in my memories?

You are not wrong. When the running track went so did many disabled places.

lancerjock
02-12-2012, 23:41
I first went to Ibrox at four years of age with my dad. followed them home and away for 12 years. Then when i was old enough i joined the Army.
I was shot and paralyzed in 1993 and been in a wheelchair since then.
When i first left hospital my first thought was well at least I've got more time to watch Rangers Every week.
At the time my late father was season ticket holder in the Copland rear and he got in touch with the club reference season ticket for me.
Back then he was told there was 5-10 year waiting list.
Tried many times over the years and still no chance of season ticket.
This breaks my heart as i like many other disabled fans want to go every week and cheer on the Gers.
Ive been to two Rangers game since then. Both as a guest of the club.
I really hope there is change in the very near future.

andybt64
03-12-2012, 00:01
I can remember our trip to Old Trafford for the champions league game and we were all housed in the upper tier when you looked down the disabled section was below in the lower tier and there were plenty of disabled spaces and each one also had a tv monitor next to it. if we had the same on a smaller scale im sure 100 less on the attendance wouldn't mean anyone missing a game.