PDA

View Full Version : Is it really 25 years ago today...

general_melchett
17-10-2012, 22:41
...that this game took place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG4MWUsvKFI :eek:

Memories anyone?

17-10-2012, 22:44
Goughs equaliser, in what i think was his first derby, brought a noise from the Bears that sounded like an aircraft taking off

cantab
17-10-2012, 22:52
Keeper kicks Butcher then pretends he was manhandled by Butcher to get him sent off. Not much has changed in 25 years.

ZurichBear
17-10-2012, 22:53
Yes it is - watched the youtube highlights earlier.

It was my second Rangers v Sellick game, and my first at Ibrox.

Had a great view of the main incidents from the Govan Front, Red Section.

One of the best games ever!

Amity75
17-10-2012, 22:55
Always remember my old man turning to me and saying "This will be a cricket score" when Woods went off. I'd never been to a game where the keeper got sent off before. Never experienced a noise like it when Gough equalised. Even watching it on TV, it almost bursts the microphones.

Bearsden Bear
17-10-2012, 23:46
No.

25 years ago today was Black Monday, when the UK Stockmarket went into free fall - "a sea of red" etc.

The Old Firm game was one month later - 17 November iirc.

I was at that game, and indeed it was the only Old Firm game I have ever viewed from the Director's Box. Incidently, it was mayhem in there too. ;)

Crown_Defender
17-10-2012, 23:48
My little brother was born that day. Gough's equaliser and the ensuing mayhem meant my faither missed the birth by about half an hour :D

general_melchett
17-10-2012, 23:53
No.

25 years ago today was Black Monday, when the UK Stockmarket went into free fall - "a sea of red" etc.

I was at that game, and indeed it was the only Old Firm game I have ever viewed from the Director's Box. Incidently, it was mayhem in there too. ;)

Black Monday was Oct 19th 1987. You can talk about that on Friday when it's 25 years since then.

dan68guns
17-10-2012, 23:54
Best bit is at equaliser ,cop walking behind goal shoots his arms up in celly ,before quickly recovering composure at celtic end

weestu
18-10-2012, 00:03
I wasnt born, my dad missed the game because it was his wedding.

beastie69
18-10-2012, 00:03
Thanks for posting.

Great memories.

200000 Heroes
18-10-2012, 00:24
This remains one of my all time favourite games. Of course, we had the 5-1 4-1 season later but this game was exceptional. No goalie from about 15 minutes in (no additional keeper subs in those days, if you didn't put a keeper on your bench and your keeper got injured, tuff), 2-0 down by half time, then down to 9 men with the wee cheating bastard getting Butcher sent off. Thought we were in for a real hiding. Super gets one back, then Goughie causes the BBC mic to break and the absolutely iconic Roberts conducts the choir, with me in it :D

Absolutely brilliant memory. So glad I was there. An absolute classic. Thanks so much for posting this.

Geo 1972
18-10-2012, 00:29
Loudest noise I have ever heard at a football match when Gough equalised.

babaji
18-10-2012, 00:32
No.

OP is correct,17/10/87...the rc phone in was fantastic going home, 1st guy on wishing to congratulate 9 man Rangers on a magnificent result, mcnee going apoplectic with rage trying to get him to condemm the team, the caller wasn`t having any of that:D

200000 Heroes
18-10-2012, 00:35
OP is correct,17/10/87...the rc phone in was fantastic going home, 1st guy on wishing to congratulate 9 man Rangers on a magnificent result, mcnee going apoplectic with rage trying to get him to condemm the team, the caller wasn`t having any of that:D

Missed that babaji ... I was getting rat arsed by then ... >:)

thommo2006
18-10-2012, 00:36
Gerry McNee commentating? was bitter back then.

Celtic keeper barely gets touched by Butcher on his body goes down holding his head, commentator says Butcher is in real trouble for that. Graham Roberts at the end gets hit by the striker goes down and the commentator says he is making a meal of it.

charlie chalk
18-10-2012, 00:38
Oooooof. Quarter of a century. Where has that gone.

Copland rear, going mental, one thing after another, each as jaw dropping as the last. Madhouse, disbelief, singing as hard as you could, willing every ounce of noise from your boots, Roberts conducting us, screaming, cheering, shouting. Absolute madness, but in oh such a great way. What a day. Hard to remember specifics apart from the orderings off and Roberts, but can still feel the atmosphere crackling through me. One of the great games in our history. Certainly in mine.

amabluestar
18-10-2012, 00:42
Remember the old yin digging me in the ribs saying this is not over when we went down to nine men and two down.
Didn't believe him at the time, but was going nuts with him when big Gough scored the equaliser.:D

Geo 1972
18-10-2012, 00:43
Geraldo McPish commentating? was bitter back then.
Celtic keeper barely gets touched by Butcher on his body goes down holding his head, commentator says Butcher is in real trouble for that. Graham Roberts at the end gets hit by the striker goes down and the commentator says he is making a meal of it.

It was Jock Brown mate.

babaji
18-10-2012, 00:46

Copland rear, going mental, one thing after another, each as jaw dropping as the last. Madhouse, disbelief, singing as hard as you could, willing every ounce of noise from your boots, Roberts conducting us, screaming, cheering, shouting. Absolute madness, but in oh such a great way. What a day. Hard to remember specifics apart from the orderings off and Roberts, but can still feel the atmosphere crackling through me. One of the great games in our history. Certainly in mine.

After the equaliser the players came towards the govan stand and some of the fans were throwing scarves on and John McGregor went to pick one up to wear and he must have remembered that the game wasn`t finished:D

200000 Heroes
18-10-2012, 00:46

That was Jock soon to be Penn State employee Brown ... A complete dick

200000 Heroes
18-10-2012, 00:49

I know Charlie. I had no kids and now I play 5's on a Thursday night with my 22 and 23 year old lads :eek:

What memories from that game though. Remember it like it was yesterday.

general_melchett
18-10-2012, 00:54
Stumbled across the video earlier, noticed the date, and had to post.

25 years on and the memories are clear as if it were yesterday. Proper games at 3pm on a Saturday!

Charlie'81
18-10-2012, 01:06
The good ol' days :)

barmy army
18-10-2012, 09:21
I was there (with my mum and dad) I have pictures when we equalise. I'm crying tears of joy.:)

livi_true_blue
18-10-2012, 09:29

To be fair, Graham Roberts did make a meal of it, he went down like he'd been shot, a few seconds after being touched bt the Celtic player.

Another enjoyable moment! :D

general_melchett
18-10-2012, 09:40
Pretty sure Avi Cohen played.

Also another glimpse of pre-injury Durrant skinning a sub for pace in injury time with a 5 yard head start.

jimbobrfc
18-10-2012, 09:43
felt like we had just beat them 5-0 .absolutely crazy .watched the highlights when i eventually got home on the monday :)

Pa Bear
18-10-2012, 09:45
I still have it on video, the volume crackles at the noise at the equaliser !:D

scopo
18-10-2012, 09:46
Our supporters bus broke down in the Gorbals that day on the way to the game..that was a tad nervy.
The noise when Gough scored will live with me forever.

jcdno1
18-10-2012, 09:59
An absolute disgrace that, that handbags ended up in court. What the PF thought could be gained by prosecuting god only knows.

Btw, is it true that sourness had to get the lawyer for mcavennie?

inshalla
18-10-2012, 10:04
The noise , the unity , the atmosphere at HULLO HULLO got the hairs standing on the back of my neck just there.

Sadly missing from our game.

sandbear
18-10-2012, 10:05
What a trip back in time , one of my favorite games and a fantastic trip with the London club .

Ali Baba
18-10-2012, 10:26
old man got lifted at half time handcuffed by two coppers when I went down with his jacket.he told me" don't tell yer mum just get yourself home afterwards."of course had to report in full his tomfoolery.ah great to see him getting an earbashing for a change.I'll remind him today.

Irvine Blue
18-10-2012, 10:46
Copeland Front that day,, 25 years , scary

davieloyal
18-10-2012, 10:47
the other mob were sick that day. and the noise when gough scored one of the loudest ever.

rangers352
18-10-2012, 10:47
An amazing day, was 11yrs old and had already savoured quite a few old firm games and my record was very good. I honestly thought my luck had run out that day though.

I remember jumping up and down in excitement that McAvennie had been sent off, my celebrations were short lived though when everyone else told me that we would soon lose our keeper as well. When the 2nd goal went in, I remember quite a few bears in the Govan Front getting out their seats and leaving, this created some problems as other supporters were going mad at them for wanting to leave. Quite sure that this would have been the same all around the stadium. The avalanche of goals never came after the second and even when Butcher got sent off, they still never came and at that point the majority of the support would have settled for a 2-0 loss.

For me Gough showed that day how we was about to come the Rangers Captain, his leadership, effort, determination and fitness got us back in the game through McCoists goal and then that incredible winner. Drawing that game with us was probably only their worst feeling as a supporter outside Helicopter Sunday.

copland71
18-10-2012, 10:49
Fecking hell I'm getting old....

OrigTommy
18-10-2012, 10:51
The Edmiston Club used to broadcast big matches live on the odd occasion and I remember being there with my dad to watch that game. (I'm not sure if I was still 'too young' for a Rangers v Celtic game) :D

I obviously wasn't too young to watch it in a huge bar. I always remember the atmosphere at the end, tables were turned, people were going mental in jubilation. Incredible atmosphere in the Edmiston :)

Although i missed that one, i was at the 5-1 game the following August!

buster
18-10-2012, 10:52
Never tire of watching Gough“s goal and the reaction of timbo behind the goal.

:)

wullieonthewing
18-10-2012, 10:57
Will never forget it (on my birthday too), that along with the day my daughter was born 31st March 1992 when we beat them at hampden 1-0 with 10 men:)

chezbomb
18-10-2012, 10:59
Loved that game and had the highlights on video for years. The noise when gough made it 2-2 was the loudest ever.

thevietnambear
18-10-2012, 11:04
One of many great days at Ibrox

imWATP
18-10-2012, 11:12
What was the general reaction from the media and the rest of Scotland to Graham Roberts conducting the orchestra?

aquatic
18-10-2012, 11:17
Never tire of watching Gough“s goal and the reaction of timbo behind the goal.

:)

I try to watch it at least once a week:)

JimmyBuffetloyal
18-10-2012, 11:36
Wasn't at the game that day .Got injured playing footie in the morning and was yet to discover that I'd broken my knee cap . Listening to the radio fell asleep at two nil down woke up at the equalizer .

Calvers72
18-10-2012, 12:04
I was sat listening to the coverage on radio clyde in the living room and we all thought the speakers on the stereo were bust when Gough equalised in the last minute of the match. It remains the loudest roar i've ever heard from any Gers match and i've attended countless matches over the years. The radio clyde broadcast of that goal was put up here before iirc...ear bursting noise!

Cammy47
18-10-2012, 12:25
This remains one of my all time favourite games. Of course, we had the 5-1 4-1 season later but this game was exceptional. No goalie from about 15 minutes in (no additional keeper subs in those days, if you didn't put a keeper on your bench and your keeper got injured, tuff), 2-0 down by half time, then down to 9 men with the wee cheating bastard getting Butcher sent off. Thought we were in for a real hiding. Super gets one back, then Goughie causes the BBC mic to break and the absolutely iconic Roberts conducts the choir, with me in it :D

Absolutely brilliant memory. So glad I was there. An absolute classic. Thanks so much for posting this.

Hear Hear:)

jaguar jay
18-10-2012, 13:17
Thanks for that. Cheered me up no end. Still does'nt feel like 25 years ago

general_melchett
18-10-2012, 13:22
An absolute disgrace that, that handbags ended up in court. What the PF thought could be gained by prosecuting god only knows.

Btw, is it true that sourness had to get the lawyer for mcavennie?

Woods and Butcher: guilty
Roberts: not proven
McAvennie: not guilty

I believe those were the outcomes :)

bullitwilson
18-10-2012, 13:25
missed as i was at Kelso races .when Gough scored we stopped car and were running about the road like mad men

bluebear
18-10-2012, 13:27
Fok i feel old now. That was my first ever game against them at Ibrox. I had a season ticket for the Govan Rear Orange section.

I remember thinking at the time that this was the greatest atmosphere and the greatest thing i have ever done in my life. It was electrifying.

Back then my child season ticket was a grand total of £40. I still have it kicking about somewhere.

Aggieblue
18-10-2012, 13:30
Had a tear in my eye there, happy times.

Multiplicity
18-10-2012, 13:40
Wasn't even born then but TBB straight after Butchers sending off and at 2-0 down in the clip gave me shivers.

Our battle cry :(

Southfork Loyal
18-10-2012, 13:59
Fantastic atmosphere in the old ground, especially when we went down to 9 men. There was a feeling in the air that we could get a result and we did.
Roberts conducting the BB was the icing on the cake. How I miss that song!!

travis bear
18-10-2012, 16:30
Shivers up my spine with that , what an atmosphere , mcavennie took a swipe at woods first , must have been. Somthing else to be there for the winner , god bless the Rangers

EK Billy Boy
19-10-2012, 16:12
Why did we shoot towards the Copland in first half? Did they win the toss and choose it?