PDA

View Full Version : Tottenham - The real deal?

NATERFC1
01-10-2012, 02:20
How good do you think they could be this season?

Stunning win at Old Trafford playing some great high intensity football under a talented young coach.

AVB was written off due his poor time at Chelsea and really is disliked by the media.

Look at this story published by the Sun on Saturday;

Spurs in turmoil
'Tired' stars slam AVB
Exclusive
By PAUL JIGGINS

UNHAPPY Tottenham stars held showdown talks with Andre Villas-Boas over his training and tactics.
Boss AVB also had a bust-up with technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, who is allegedly angry at being frozen out.
Players complained that AVB’s gruelling double training sessions — sometimes staged just 24 hours before a match — left them too tired to perform in Premier League matches this season.
And Spurs stars have also hit out at their manager’s negative style of football, telling him they would prefer to play a more attacking system. AVB has scrapped the double training sessions after listening to his squad.
Spurs, away at Manchester United tonight, are eighth in the table and unbeaten since losing at Newcastle in their opening game.
But AVB is said to have been left reeling by the mutiny, which reportedly follows bust-ups with some of the club’s old guard behind the scenes.

Absolute nonsense.

They have a great young side, Vertonghen, Bale, Sandro, Dembele, Defoe, Walker etc....

I fancy them for a top 3 finish this season.

It would be justice for AVB who has been treated poorly by the media.

I liked his response to this journalist;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaPtbLXj-ZA&feature=player_embedded

Excellent.

AVB Loyal

Virgil Hilts
01-10-2012, 02:23
Might give Arsenal, Everton & Newcastle a run for the 4th CL spot, but I fancy the title will be fought out by Chelsea and the two Manchester sides

NATERFC1
01-10-2012, 02:25
Might give Arsenal, Everton & Newcastle a run for a UEFA spot, but I fancy the title will be fought out by Chelsea and the two Manchester sides

Manchester Utd are a poor side by Utd's standards.

Kagawa, Rooney, RVP and Scholes apart they are average imo.

Ferdinand is done, Bale destroyed him for the second goal on Saturday.

Bear.
01-10-2012, 02:25
The journo in the video getting ripped apart is the same one who wrote the article, the very next day.

How sad.

NATERFC1
01-10-2012, 02:28
The journo in the video getting ripped apart is the same one who wrote the article, the very next day.

How sad.

Really?

Clearly has it in for him.

Not sure how this witch hunt developed.

DadoPrso42
01-10-2012, 02:36
AVB had no idea what he was getting into when it came to the English media. He essentially walked straight into the Lions Den last season and disrupted them by upsetting their precious 'Lamps and JT'.

The media arse kissers were having none of it and they've been at his throat ever since.

It's disgusting to see lies like this printed but what do you expect from the Sun. Good to see him fighting back and I'm sure he'll do well with Spurs this season.

Helstead
01-10-2012, 02:38

It's not just Ferdinand but the whole defense that's done,then again Nani also didn't help out either no backtracking to help out till it was too late.

I would like for AVB to successed but its still early early days and like you said Utd don't seem like the team they are known to be.

Alfieconnssideburns
01-10-2012, 02:45
We follow Spurs thanks to dad and I can't help but think AVB must be a very strong man. He was slaughtered by the media during his time at Chelsea. He had enough belief in himself to go back to England and face his detractors. He also took over from a very popular manager. His treatment by the press has been disgusting even by Britians low standards. Yes it was the same journo at the press conference that wrote the Sun piece ..Paul Jiggins. In the end the medias coverage is merely galvanising the fans behind him.

AVB 1-media 0

Best Regards

Anna

OrigTommy
01-10-2012, 04:03
Really?

Clearly has it in for him.

Not sure how this witch hunt developed.

He's not a chum of the media like his predecessor.

Old 'Arry always gave them a story. Leaked stories left, right and centre, always had his car window down waiting to tell journos anything they want to know.

Thus 'Arry was loved by the media. What a great guy.

AVB doesn't give them the time of day and so the media gets personal.

frankieboy
01-10-2012, 09:07
Love to see them do it,if injury free they have a good chance.

tavey
01-10-2012, 09:09
ferdinand got done by bale at the weekend for pace but which centre back wouldnt. hes not the player he was but still has plenty to offer.

UnionRangers
01-10-2012, 09:15
they will finish 5th at absolute best.

Bearfaced
01-10-2012, 09:27
Well done AVB

'Arry', still the darling at Sky , even out of a job, he's always on there, Sky and the london press , will rubbish Spurs at every turn , for getting rid of rent-a-quote Redknapp

JellaFella
01-10-2012, 09:33
It was always going to be sugar or sh*t for them.

AVB has done well giving Defoe game time early on IMO, perhaps through need rather than choice, but it makes sense to welcome someone like him into the side early doors, to embrace him and pander to him.

Defoe strikes me as the typical modern day footballer, basically a wank, but possibly a guy that has decent pull and influence in the dressing room, if things didnít go his way he could have been the kind of guy to start an internal dislike of AVB, I admit this is all just my own assumption.

By pandering him to him, he has given himself a chance of winning over the dressing room, Freund also seems like quite an impressionable guy and a smart appointment.

Although, ultimately Defoe isnít good enough to play the role needed in that side IMO, and will be phased out for Adebayor, how AVB deals with that sort of decision is key, same case how he handles moving Lloris into the team.

But by seemingly working to win the dressing room over first, it should then make it easier for him to implement his own plan over time.

The first half on Saturday was a tactical master class, in the most basic of terms, they done the simple things well, easier said than done to do, but they pinpointed every weakness in that Man U side and exploited it, they got at their fragile CM, exploited Rios pace and showed how poor players like Evra and Rafael are, it was impressive, maybe time will tell, but possibly Saturday will say more about Man U than it does Spurs.

In Vertonghen and Dembele they have added players who could quite easily play for any top 4 side.

Hampshire Bear
01-10-2012, 09:34
Spurs have always been my favourite English team.

I don't think AVB is capable of taking them to the league title though.

northsealoyal
01-10-2012, 09:34
AVB has that same will to win attitude as Jose he brings the best out of his players i would say the lack goals could be spurs biggest problem

davemac60
01-10-2012, 09:38
Gareth Bales pace is unbelieveable and to think just before the arrival of Harry Redknapp he was about to go on loan to Notts Forrest what a turnaround and probablt one of the top 5-10 players in the world on current form

Spurs for a CL place at best though

madrid51
01-10-2012, 09:40
I must have saw a different game, Spurs got in front and held on with a great slices of luck, missed chances and hitting the woodwork by United, teams like WBA and Stoke will put Spurs players in row Z before they let them run past them like ferdinand did.

sregnar
01-10-2012, 09:41
Absolute no chance they'll finish in the top 3

scooby
01-10-2012, 09:44
I think you cannot judge on a small period of games. Manchester United were due a defeat, their defence is pretty poor for a title chasing team. I had put money on a spurs win at 5/1, I thought there was a good chance Spurs would get a goal or two.

Spurs were very poor in the second half, and could have easily lost the game from a two goal advantage. That was mostly down to Man utd, but Spurs simply did not believe in themselves enough to maintain possession and create more chances.

They have the players to beat anyone on their day, but I think they may struggle with consistancy.

Cannavaro
01-10-2012, 09:45
Vertonghen, and Dembele were superb additions, still think they are a bit light up top to be title contenders but looking good for top 4

YOGI_GER
01-10-2012, 09:50
Talksport will be eating some humble pie, they have been slaughtering him for months saying he was clueless.

lafamiliaestodo
01-10-2012, 09:53
If they can fit adebayor into the team and hes in the mood they have a chance of top four, might find it tricky to keep defoe, adebayor, dempsey and the icelantic dood happy though

Eric_Cartman
01-10-2012, 09:59
It was plain to see the senior players at Chelsea were not interested in doing it AVB's way.

Compare their attitude to Liverpool's senior players trying to adapt to Rodgers style of play, granted they've found it difficult so far but if they continue to stick by it Liverpool can become a really good side again.

Spurs have potential to be proper contenders if they can sustain that level of effort and performance.

bilkobear
01-10-2012, 10:08
Talksport will be eating some humble pie, they have been slaughtering him for months saying he was clueless.

Andy Jacobs is the worst.
Football meets the middle class.

I hope AVB has the last laugh.

keldo82
01-10-2012, 10:08
The real deal :D

Spurs and Liverpool fans share some similar qualities. 'We have a great chance this season' 'watch us go now' 'it's just a small blip' 'we have turned the corner' and then the famous 'wait til next year'

53easy
01-10-2012, 10:09
Top 3 :D:D

They'll finish 5th at very best....

Blue Lew
01-10-2012, 10:10
There's no chance of Spurs finishing top three. I only watched the highlights on Saturday but from what I saw Spurs were lucky not to have been cuffed in the second half. The woodwork was struck twice and there were at least two or three other chances United would normally have buried.

I have a soft spot for Man Utd but I do worry about them this season. They have looked quite vulnerable at times this season but in times gone by they usually get better as the season progresses. We shall see...

Earl of Leven
01-10-2012, 10:10
Title will be Chelsea or Man City.

The rest might be quite open: Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, Man U all chasing a CL spot.

53easy
01-10-2012, 10:13
I thought Man United at least deserved a point...

53easy
01-10-2012, 10:17
Should the Man United keeper be doing better for Bale goal?

He sold the goal in the second half.

200000 Heroes
01-10-2012, 10:18
They are a cracking side, alright. Make no mistake about that, and in Bale they have an absolutely world class player.

However, as ever in modern football, the size and quality of the squad will eventually tell in a long season packed with fixtures. This will prevent them winning the EPL. However, on their day, and clear of injuries, they are capable of beating anyone and are a genuinely top side.

53easy
01-10-2012, 10:19
Apart from Saturday when was the last time Spurs beat a top 4 side away from home?

Clarkster-MBE
01-10-2012, 10:32
They burst my coupon so hope they are shite lol.

The_Gub
01-10-2012, 10:44
No chance will that that Spurs team win the The EPL.

You will be telling me next that Gareth Bale is world class.

Baxter79
01-10-2012, 11:05
Man Utd would have been as well playing with ten men in the first half, Ryan Giggs was an empty shirt.

His days of starting matches for Utd should be numbered.

adidasler
01-10-2012, 11:09
There's no chance of Spurs finishing top three. I only watched the highlights on Saturday but from what I saw Spurs were lucky not to have been cuffed in the second half. The woodwork was struck twice and there were at least two or three other chances United would normally have buried.

I have a soft spot for Man Utd but I do worry about them this season. They have looked quite vulnerable at times this season but in times gone by they usually get better as the season progresses. We shall see...

Was going to post similar, Spurs were simply hanging on for large spells.

Real deal? I think not.

JellaFella
01-10-2012, 11:11
Spurs did go missing in the second half, yet still could have had at least another goal on the breakaway had Defoe shown a bit more intelligence.

The_Gub
01-10-2012, 11:16
Spurs did go missing in the second half, yet still could have had at least another goal on the breakaway had Defoe shown a bit more intelligence.

But he didn't show the intelligence, therefore Spurs didn't score.

They are the Newcastle of North London.

Bowery Boys
01-10-2012, 11:17
Top 3? No chance.

Man Utd were poor and absolutely murdered them second half.

rayrangers
01-10-2012, 11:19
Don't have enough up front for me-bit like liverpool

Blue Lew
01-10-2012, 11:43
But he didn't show the intelligence, therefore Spurs didn't score.

They are the Newcastle of North London.
:clap::clap::clap:

Sebo23
01-10-2012, 13:47
Was going to post similar, Spurs were simply hanging on for large spells.

Real deal? I think not.

This was the way i seen it. On another day Man Utd would have scored 5 that 2nd half. They have great attributes to being a very effective counter attacking team, but the same players struggle to keep posession when the pressure is on.

Like others have said, i can see it being the Manchester teams & Chelsea vying for the top 3, & Arsenal & Spurs batteling for 4th. However, i think the gap might get a bit closer between the top 5 this year.

Cannavaro
01-10-2012, 14:00
They are at their best on the counter attack, where the likes of Bale, Lennon and Dembele are devastating, against defences that are sitting deep and well organised they will still struggle to break them down imo

The_Glorious_12th
01-10-2012, 14:10
He replaced Harry.

That in itself will we he never gets a fair rub of the green from the media.

mayfairblue2
01-10-2012, 15:32
I hope AVB does well he was shafted at Chelsea.

Sebo1873
01-10-2012, 16:05
They have struggled big time against basically all teams apart from a woeful man utd side, i've been saying man utd are s*te for the past few years and they keep probing me wrong though. Spurs wont make the top 4 IMO - quote that if need be.

academical
01-10-2012, 16:25
I love Spurs, and one of these seasons they will finally move up a level and challenge for the Premiership title itself.

But I don't think it'll be this season, and I hate all these false dawns.

CraigL91
01-10-2012, 16:55

That video is great. I really hate the way some members of the media turn up at these press conferences which they have been invited to in good faith and start that kind of smart arse sh*t. Brilliant response from AVB! I think he is probably the best young manager in Europe. His doubters will go on about his time at Chelsea but for any one other than a Chelsea man who is willing to be controlled by Abramovich and certain players that job is a poisoned chalice imo. I'm not a Spurs fan but I would love to see AVB do well there and beyond.

NATERFC1
01-10-2012, 18:16
Apart from Saturday when was the last time Spurs beat a top 4 side away from home?

Under AVB how many have they played?

Taking them to their first win at Old Trafford since 1989 is a massive marker for the season.

When was the last time United lost at home domestically?

City last season?

I really can't remember.

womble 3
01-10-2012, 18:18
Tottenham are a top four team

The only way is up

Arveladzes Shuffle
01-10-2012, 18:25
Since the start of the season the most impressed ive been with a team is Everton there playing some great football, wont last all the same and very possibly goney lose players in january.

DeneRFC
01-10-2012, 18:30

Arsenal, season before last, 2-0 down came back to win 3-2.

business_bear
01-10-2012, 18:33
Tottenham are a cracking side to watch. I would like to see them do well under AVB but can't see them winning the title. They'll be pushing for 4th spot.

YOGI_GER
01-10-2012, 18:35
Durham and Gough on Talksport being a pair of absolute pricks over this.

Saying that AVB was over the top in celebrating and that the 2-3 win was no big deal? :confused:

Ever since he went there, they have continually slaughtered AVB

hagi bear
01-10-2012, 18:38
How long before Manu puts in a transfer request because he can't dislodge Defoe?

BinnieBoy
01-10-2012, 18:56
AVB is a class act, Spurs are playing some lovely stuff and they've got some cracking players, but they won't challenge at the top after February.

The title will go to City or Chelsea I think, United aren't good enough, City will get back on track and Chelsea look outstanding.

Spurs/Arsenal/United will be pushing for 3rd.

If AVB gets the players on side to his style of play, and they certainly seem to be on his side so far, and financial backing then he and Spurs could win the league in the next few seasons.

brad1978
01-10-2012, 18:59
Spurs wont make top 4

brad1978
01-10-2012, 18:59
Chelsea to win it

brad1978
01-10-2012, 19:00
Hope QPR go down

yuri_nall
01-10-2012, 19:22
How good do you think they could be this season?

Stunning win at Old Trafford playing some great high intensity football under a talented young coach.

AVB was written off due his poor time at Chelsea and really is disliked by the media.

Look at this story published by the Sun on Saturday;

Spurs in turmoil
'Tired' stars slam AVB
Exclusive
By PAUL JIGGINS

UNHAPPY Tottenham stars held showdown talks with Andre Villas-Boas over his training and tactics.
Boss AVB also had a bust-up with technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, who is allegedly angry at being frozen out.
Players complained that AVBís gruelling double training sessions ó sometimes staged just 24 hours before a match ó left them too tired to perform in Premier League matches this season.
And Spurs stars have also hit out at their managerís negative style of football, telling him they would prefer to play a more attacking system. AVB has scrapped the double training sessions after listening to his squad.
Spurs, away at Manchester United tonight, are eighth in the table and unbeaten since losing at Newcastle in their opening game.
But AVB is said to have been left reeling by the mutiny, which reportedly follows bust-ups with some of the clubís old guard behind the scenes.

Absolute nonsense.

They have a great young side, Vertonghen, Bale, Sandro, Dembele, Defoe, Walker etc....

I fancy them for a top 3 finish this season.

It would be justice for AVB who has been treated poorly by the media.

I liked his response to this journalist;

Excellent.

AVB Loyal

No wonder managers and players don't want to talk to the press asking questions like that.

Sam_English
01-10-2012, 19:26
Only time will tell if they have the consistency to do well in the League.

Top 6 finish at best.

Abacus73
01-10-2012, 19:29
One swallow don't make a summer ....

Man Utd defending was abysmal in the goals ... huge hole in front of back 4......

Chelsea or Man City for the title.

Top_Cat
01-10-2012, 19:34
5th at best, hope I'm wrong though, big Spurs fan

BegglesRFC
01-10-2012, 19:41

Have to agree with this. Some very average players in that team, & if it was anyone but fergie in charge they'd be ****ed.

Vidic seems done as well with constant injuries

JimmyBuffetloyal
01-10-2012, 19:44
No deal. Thought they were a bit fortunate to win at Manure. I predict they will finish no higher than 7th and wouldn't be surprised if the manager was given the chop.

Bowery Boys
01-10-2012, 19:51
Have to agree with this. Some very average players in that team, & if it was anyone but fergie in charge they'd be ****ed.

We hear this about Man Utd every single season yet they are always up there.

Baxter79
01-10-2012, 19:52

Can't understand why Fergie has not strengthened the central midfield.

37 year old Scholes still is class, Carrick was terrible on Sat and replaceable, Fletcher not 100%, Cleverley not proven at top level yet, Anderson still not kicking on.

Surprised he never went all out for a Javi Martinez, De-Rossi, or Schweinsteiger type midfielder in the summer.