PDA

View Full Version : McCoist - The Player

Napoleon
10-09-2012, 10:16
Just watching some videos back on youtube of McCoist.

What a fantastic striker with phenomenal talent. :cool:

Were there any bids for him or interest from other big teams when he was at his peak?

Torque87
10-09-2012, 10:17
My childhood memories of Rangers will always revolve around Super Ally.

Earl of Leven
10-09-2012, 10:18
I think he missed more than he scored, there was a perception he lacked a bit at the very top level, and of course there was a perception that he wouldn't leave as we were in Europe when English clubs weren't......he probably felt he could win EC (albeit that was not likely with hindsight).

He was settled and doing well....doubt he wanted to leave.

Also that was a real boom time for football and a list of top strikers from 80s and early 90s would be a who's who of talent....

I love him but I am not sure he was ever world class or on the shopping list of a Milan, Madrid or the like.

km_2083
10-09-2012, 10:21
I once remember on back of record the sheep where planing a £1m bid for him but can't remember which year it was or who was our manager

HobJo
10-09-2012, 10:22
i had a debate on here about McCoist's standing relative to other strikers of the time. I think, still, he was up there in the top 15 in Europe in the late 80s early 90s.

The Scottish league standard was far closer to other leagues in Europe in those days, so his overall scoring record is far more relevant in terms of judging him than it would be for, say, Boyd.

Can't remember there ever being many rumours of bids for him after Souness left but I suspect thats because everyone knew he wouldn't leave Rangers if they still wanted to keep him

Earl of Leven
10-09-2012, 10:26
Had English clubs been in Europe we mighty have faced some bids but that seems to have been a deciding factor.

He was 'decent'...20 goals for Scotland in 60 caps and 21 from 56 games in Europe. That's not bad.

sfaulds
10-09-2012, 10:29
When McCoist was in his Pomp rangers were probably in the top 15 teams in Europe so there was no reason for him to leave !

papasmurf
10-09-2012, 10:29
He was a striker who performed fantastically in scotland. Could he have played at the very highest level? Probably not. If he did, he would have been successful. (in terms of goals/games)

That said however, he is my over riding memory frmo my younger years and I am priviledged to have him at our club, both now and the past!

ian-rfc
10-09-2012, 10:32
Was Liverpool not sniffing about him?

stoddy
10-09-2012, 10:35
With him on the park I always felt we would score no matter if the other team were pumping us as Celtc found to their cost a few times.

Battlefield Bear
10-09-2012, 10:37
I think McCoist is just one of life's 'lucky' folk. I don't mean he wasn't talented, or didn't have skill, but he could be having an absolute stinker, score one off his arse, score a penalty and have one deflected off his shin and walk away with the match ball and the sound of the crowd ringing in his ears.

I also think his partnership with Mark Hateley helped tremendously. Yes, he scored goals before and after Hateley left, but for the years they were together they were unstopable.

Would McCoist have been able to play for Europe's best sides? Maybe not on his own, but as a partnership, McCoist and Hateley were up there with the very best.

magicoop
10-09-2012, 10:41
Brian Laudrup was asked what about Ally 355 goals and Brian quipped yes but he missed 600(or something like that). That said he was never afraid to miss and always put himself up there.

hagi bear
10-09-2012, 10:42
Nobodies telling me that Ally McCoist wouldn't have ran riot in England at a time when John Fashanu, David White (Man City), Lee Chapman, Dean Saunders, Alan Smith (Arsenal) etc were seen as amongst the best strikers

garyw09
10-09-2012, 10:42
Despite what people say I don't think he was an out and out poacher. For example his performance against Leeds away was fantastic. When people compared Boyd to him it annoyed me because Ally used to actually put a lot of effort into games and ran the channels etc.

Greenock_Ger1983
10-09-2012, 10:43
My favourite player of all time. Was a joy to watch!

Earl of Leven
10-09-2012, 10:43
Nobodies telling me that Ally McCoist wouldn't have ran riot in England at a time when John Fashanu, Lee Chapman, Dean Saunders etc were seen as amongst the best strikers

That was England's weakest spell though....the bigger clubs were Milan, Madrid, Bayern, Marseille etc.

Joining Sheffield Wed or Villa would have possible but ultimately pointless and I doubt he'd have considered it.

(He was a lot better than Boyd....I always HATED that comparison)

sirdrinksalot
10-09-2012, 10:44
I think he missed more than he scored, there was a perception he lacked a bit at the very top level, and of course there was a perception that he wouldn't leave as we were in Europe when English clubs weren't......he probably felt he could win EC (albeit that was not likely with hindsight).

He was settled and doing well....doubt he wanted to leave.

Also that was a real boom time for football and a list of top strikers from 80s and early 90s would be a who's who of talent....

I love him but I am not sure he was ever world class or on the shopping list of a Milan, Madrid or the like.

He certainly wasn't world class, he was however a superb striker, the greatest we have ever had. He had the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time, a goalscoring instinct that was impossible to teach. You always felt he would score whenever he played, and more often than not he did.:D

Simply The Best.

sirdrinksalot
10-09-2012, 10:48
Despite what people say I don't think he was an out and out poacher. For example his performance against Leeds away was fantastic. When people compared Boyd to him it annoyed me because Ally used to actually put a lot of effort into games and ran the channels etc.

The Boyd comparison was nonsensical, you mention the Leeds games and he was magnificent in those, he was also magnificent at Ibrox against Dinamo Kiev, who had a team full of Russian internationalists, he ran them ragged that night and in typical McCoist fashion scored the decisive goal with the wrong side of his nut.:D

magicoop
10-09-2012, 10:48
The overhead kick in the LCF against Hibs after he came on as a sub was typical Ally.

imager
10-09-2012, 10:51
Per Souness Ally played a lot of games as a midfielder, his finishing was excellent and he missed loads because he got into great goal scoring areas, in the 84 LCD Final where he scored a Hat trick they're midfield was Burns McStay, McLeod and Provan, ours was Cooper McCoist, Russell and McPherson! :eek:

Sir Duncan Ferguson
10-09-2012, 10:55
Everton were linked with him around 90/91 time.

Souness insists to this day he had no intention of selling McCoist. Ever.

53easy
10-09-2012, 10:56
Ally also scored loads of different goals.

Daft wee lobs, 25 yarders, tap-ins and the odd header

Battlefield Bear
10-09-2012, 11:04

More than the odd header mate. He scored loads with his head. I was watching the Super Ally 2 videos on You Tube the other day and I was struck by the amount of goals he scored with his head.

BlueNotWhyte
10-09-2012, 11:10
I think he missed more than he scored.

No shit Sherlock !!

Every striker in the world misses more than he scores. Otherwise we would have double figure results in almost every game.

Mcoist's most memorable "miss" was failing to recognise "Mystery Guest" Walter Smith during his last appearance on Question Of Sport. :roll:

madride
10-09-2012, 11:15
I seem to remember a rumour about him going back to Sunderland when they were promoted to the Premiership, a couple of years before he went to Killie

Earl of Leven
10-09-2012, 11:16
No shit Sherlock !!

Every striker in the world misses more than he scores. Otherwise we would have double figure results in almost every game.:roll:

Messi? :)

My point is that I love him but he wasn't world class and did make mistakes...still have so many memories tied up with him though. He was our hero for years.

Napoleon
10-09-2012, 11:21

My point is that I love him but he wasn't world class and did make mistakes...still have so many memories tied up with him though. He was our hero for years.

http://news.indonewyork.com/images/articles/2011_12/2312/u1_inzaghi.jpg

garyw09
10-09-2012, 11:21

Remember him scoring a couple of cracking free kicks as well, not to mention overhead kicks!

And to be fair the "odd header" is doing him a disservice, he scored every type of header you can think of. Powerful ones, wee flicks and his speciality was the diving header :D

Dunantblue
10-09-2012, 11:25
Had English clubs been in Europe we mighty have faced some bids but that seems to have been a deciding factor.

He was 'decent'...20 goals for Scotland in 60 caps and 21 from 56 games in Europe. That's not bad.

I think he was much better than decent mate, to be entirely fair.

Very few enter the pantheon alongside the likes of Van Basten. But McCoist was a very very good centre forward and natural goalscorer.

Earl of Leven
10-09-2012, 11:27
I think he was much better than decent mate, to be entirely fair.

Very few enter the pantheon alongside the likes of Van Basten. But McCoist was a very very good centre forward and natural goalscorer.

He was 'upper decent' for me but not world class......certainly good enough for English Div 1 clubs as they were then but he didn't want to move and why should he have? They weren't in Europe and it was not glamorous then.

I always feel it is important that hindsight doesn't blind us...we've had all sorts on here over the years old chum: Brian being better than Michael Laudrup being an example! ;-)

He was happy with us....and thank goodness for that!

loyalger1
10-09-2012, 11:27
The overhead kick in the LCF against Hibs after he came on as a sub was typical Ally.

Got a signed framed picture of that! Super Ally:):)

BlueNotWhyte
10-09-2012, 11:28

"The man who never made a mistake never made anything".-Anon

Have edited my previous post to add McCoists most famous howler.

But as the first player ever in Europe to win two consecutive Golden Boot awards we can surely forgive and forget Ally's more human flaws. We will never know if he was World Class or not as he never played in a World Class team.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
10-09-2012, 11:30
The hamstring injury in 1988 set McCoist back a bit IMO(Wasn't he out for at least three months ?). Always seemed to be chasing fitness after that for a couple of years. His goal record wasn't as prolific until Smith gave him his chance in early 91/92 where he simply burst the net on a regular basis from there on in for two years.

Don't forget his purple patch between 1995-98 as well. Not many strikers in their mid 30's with injury problems would plunder nearly 60 goals in three years.

Denver_Ba
10-09-2012, 11:36
McCoist was a good footballer. He scored shite loads of different types of goals and helped set some up.

The comparison with Boyd and McCoist was just laughable and idiotic. Could Boyd have played any part of his career in midfield?

A better player than he will receive credit for but what a goalscorer.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 11:43
McCoist was a good footballer. He scored shite loads of different types of goals and helped set some up.

The comparison with Boyd and McCoist was just laughable and idiotic. Could Boyd have played any part of his career in midfield?

A better player than he will receive credit for but what a goalscorer.

Not so.Both scored goals for fun and both have legend status with me mate.Kris Boyd was the next Ally McCoist and it stinks to high heaven that he wasn't held on to.

Dumbartonblue
10-09-2012, 11:43
Ally's boyhood dream came true- he played for the team he supported as a kid a la Cooper,Durrant and Ferguson.He would never have left Rangers even if there had been interest.

53easy
10-09-2012, 11:45
Not so.Both scored goals for fun and both have legend status with me mate.Kris Boyd was the next Ally McCoist and it stinks to high heaven that he wasn't held on to.

Boyd chose to leave Rangers for first division Boro.

Smartcard
10-09-2012, 11:46
McCoist to me was an "instinctive" striker (and player in general). He scored goals in a far greater variety of ways than he gets credited for (more than six yard box players like Lineker for instance, although he was quite brilliant at what he did).

McCoist's chip from outside the box v Motherwell to break one of our records (highest league goalscorer maybe?) was a good example of him at his best. Conversely, I always thought he was far more likely to miss when given too many options in a chance - I remember he missed an absolute sitter away to Cologne that was a perfect example of this.

Apart from that he was one of the best takers of half-chances I've ever seen, with a phenomenal knack for being in the right place at the right time (a skill incidentally written off as "luck" far too often).

Anybody who saw him play should be honoured, because the chances are you'll never again see a better example of a goalscorer in a Rangers jersey.

garyw09
10-09-2012, 11:48

Boyd was lazy, Mccoist was not. There is no way both can be compared unless you take the actual games out of the question and just look at goals scored. Even then McCoist also scored in just about every game he played against them while Boyd struggled.

In other words Boyd is not even on the same scale as Ally was. He maybe could have been had he put some effort in but we will never know.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 11:58
Boyd chose to leave Rangers for first division Boro.

In much the same way as you or I would choose half a loaf over no bread.A manager in waiting who reckoned little to him and Murray's mini me not,in reality,offering a new contract-what was the boy to do.Can't argue that he could have handled his leaving a lot better,even considering the way he was treated.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
10-09-2012, 11:59
In much the same way as you or I would choose half a loaf over no bread.A manager in waiting who reckoned little to him and Murray's mini me not,in reality,offering a new contract-what was the boy to do.Can't argue that he could have handled his leaving a lot better,even considering the way he was treated.

What way was he treated ?

53easy
10-09-2012, 12:01

Boyd conduct was far from perfect.

He got dropped an hour before a Hamilton cup(6-1) tie at Ibrox because his attitude was a disgrace.

Boyd left Rangers for more money..

C_A_L
10-09-2012, 12:02
For what he was, he was one of the best around at the time

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 12:04
McCoist was a very underrated football player, his touch, run choice and control was superb.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:11
Boyd was lazy, Mccoist was not. There is no way both can be compared unless you take the actual games out of the question and just look at goals scored. Even then McCoist also scored in just about every game he played against them while Boyd struggled.

In other words Boyd is not even on the same scale as Ally was. He maybe could have been had he put some effort in but we will never know.

I can't argue that McCoist did more off the ball.But Boyd was working on changing this and his overall game.He'd still be scoring for fun if he was here now.

And it's hardly Kris's fault that he wasn't a good fit for Uncle Walter's 5-4-1 anti football (though,admitedly,often pro Rangers) formation.The fact that he scored as many as he did (which was more than Hoopy Henrik did for them) despite not being any sure thing for a starting place only goes to strengthen the case for him.

hagi bear
10-09-2012, 12:15
.But Boyd was working on changing this and his overall game

Was he bollocks!

He had a brief spell in the autumn of 2008 (after being overlooked by Scotland) where he put in a lot more effort, started chasing lost causes etc

This literally lasted for one month before he reverted to type

53easy
10-09-2012, 12:17
I can't argue that McCoist did more off the ball.But Boyd was working on changing this and his overall game.He'd still be scoring for fun if he was here now.

And it's hardly Kris's fault that he wasn't a good fit for Uncle Walter's 5-4-1 anti football (though,admitedly,often pro Rangers) formation.The fact that he scored as many as he did (which was more than Hoopy Henrik did for them) despite not being any sure thing for a starting place only goes to strengthen the case for him.

Rangers were playing two up front in Lafferty and Miller when Boyd left the club.

Boyd hasn't changed his game at all since leaving Rangers..
He struggled to hold down a place at Boro/Forrest/Turkish club...

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:18
What way was he treated ?

I think we've been here before SDF,but reports of a new contract were more than a wee bit exaggerated.And,whatever anyone might think of the wisdom of McCoist's attitude towards Boyd,the same sort of treatment dished out to Ally himself by Souness looked likely to await KB with AMc in the hot seat.

Dunantblue
10-09-2012, 12:19

Boyd was a terrific instinctive finisher, but he wasn't in the same class as Coisty.

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 12:19

That he wasnít a fit for 1 up front says more about Boyd than it ever will Smith.

JCD who couldnít manage a full game could do it.

hagi bear
10-09-2012, 12:22
To be fair, Boyd claimed a few weeks after he joined Middlesbrough that all the talk of lucrative new contracts was fabricated by the club/the press

Dadoprso's ponytail9
10-09-2012, 12:24
not world class by any means,but mccoist was a decent striker

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:25
Boyd conduct was far from perfect.

He got dropped an hour before a Hamilton cup(6-1) tie at Ibrox because his attitude was a disgrace.

Boyd left Rangers for more money..

I've never argued that it was mate.And I've always said that he could and should have handled his leaving a lot better.But we've only got the word of Martin Bain that a new contract was on offer,which,unsurprisingly enough (especially after the hellish events of recent months) ,I don't take very seriously.

scoobytwo
10-09-2012, 12:27
Ally McCoist and Kris Boyd were completely different players. OK later on in his career McCoist spent most of his time in the box. Before then with his partnership with Hateley and others (Fleck sticks in my mind) he would run the channels, hold the ball up and run onto through balls to beat the offside trap. Kris Boyd could do none of these things.

jiec
10-09-2012, 12:29
One of Ally's greatest night in a Rangers shirt was the semi at Hampden against them, Robertson sent off in the first ten mins, Ally played up top himself, ran his heart out for Rangers and scored the only goal in what was one of my best ever games watching Rangers, Ally was a top drawer striker of that there is no doubt.

The Busby Bear
10-09-2012, 12:32
not world class by any means,but mccoist was a decent striker

Bit of an understatement, he was a decent player but was a terrific striker.

Dunantblue
10-09-2012, 12:36
Cannot believe the amount of posters on here describing McCoist as a merely "decent" player!!

He wasn't a world class player - whatever that might mean - but jesus wept, he was better than decent!

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:37
Was he bollocks!

He had a brief spell in the autumn of 2008 (after being overlooked by Scotland) where he put in a lot more effort, started chasing lost causes etc

This literally lasted for one month before he reverted to type

Mate,he told Burley to ram it after he put on whatshisface as a sub ahead of him.As poor and costly a decision as Ally the muppet putting on Joe Harper ahead of Big Derek,vs. Iran in '78.Boyd would almost certainly never have messed up like that and at least had the decency to be gutted about it if he had.

WokinghamBear
10-09-2012, 12:44
I think McCoist is just one of life's 'lucky' folk. I don't mean he wasn't talented, or didn't have skill, but he could be having an absolute stinker, score one off his arse, score a penalty and have one deflected off his shin and walk away with the match ball and the sound of the crowd ringing in his ears.

I also think his partnership with Mark Hateley helped tremendously. Yes, he scored goals before and after Hateley left, but for the years they were together they were unstopable.

Would McCoist have been able to play for Europe's best sides? Maybe not on his own, but as a partnership, McCoist and Hateley were up there with the very best.

I think what you say is a good summary of McCoist the footballer,although I think the, "lucky" tag was unfair on him.
Ally McCoist worked. He worked hard to get that bit of free space and claim his tap-in goals, he worked to come back from being roundly booed, from periods where he wasn't scoring and from a few bouts of injury with hamstrings and the broken leg.

It was a treat to watch him playing in the early 1990s when after a short period of being substitute or in the stand, he upped his game and really pulled a defence around to create space for himself and others.
Graeme Souness gets pelters for supposedly dropping McCoist but it gave him the kick up the backside to make him a far stronger all-round player and claim two Golden Boots.

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 12:44
To bring Boyds name into a McCoist thread is doing Ally a massive disservice IMO.

They arenít comparable as players, night and day between them in all honesty.

They scored goals for Rangers, thatís where it ends.

To mention Boyd will only be seen as to bring Ally down than to bring Boyd up.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:45
That he wasnít a fit for 1 up front says more about Boyd than it ever will Smith.

JCD who couldnít manage a full game could do it.

Sorry,I wasn't very clear there.I should have said that the other front men we had at that time,especially Kenny Miller,were all a better fit for that system than Boyd.

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 12:47
Sorry,I wasn't very clear there.I should have said that the other front men we had at that time,especially Kenny Miller,were all a better fit for that system than Boyd.

Miller rarely played when we went 1 upfront, if anything it was JCD and Cousin that Boyd was in completion with.

One who couldnít complete 90 minutes, and the other who had a questionable attitude at best, although admittedly utterly p*sed all over any forward we have had for the last 5 years when playing up top on his own and in the mood.

200000 Heroes
10-09-2012, 12:53
It was an honour to watch every moment of his Rangers career.

Of course he missed a hatful of chances in his career. All strikers miss chances. The thing about Coisty was he always got straight back on the horse and put himself out there again. The knack he had of finding space in packed penalty boxes was incredible. It was as if the ball was drawn to him like a magnet.

In addition, the VITAL goals he scored for us put people like Flo to shame. Plus, as has already been mentioned, his running and work for the team was excellent. He was far more than a poacher.

In short, an absolute legend of a man. Born a Ranger, played for the club he had loved the whole of his life, became the all time top goal scorer for the club, became the manager and a thoroughly decent guy as well.

I know I will NEVER see his likes again in my lifetime. A privilege and an honour to have watched him ply his trade in the Royal Blue. :)

omegaman
10-09-2012, 12:54
I said on another thread a week or so back that after watching old videos of McCoist in his pomp he was a much better footballer than I ever remember giving him credit for at the time.

I was of the belief that he was essentially a Lineker type striker, absolutely lethal in the penalty area, but somewhat lacking in most other aspects of the game.

Totally wrong.

His movement and touch were first rate and his positioning superb.

I think as better players came to play around him there was a sense that McCoist was a lesser talent among them, but on second viewing I'm not so sure.

It's true that he wasn't world class, but what we'd give for someone of his ability now.

truebluerfc
10-09-2012, 12:56
He did carry the "lucky" tag around with him though...........I well remember a couple of times, even Our fans were singing "There's only one jammy bastard!" after he had scored to put us 4 or 5 up.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 12:56
Rangers were playing two up front in Lafferty and Miller when Boyd left the club.

Boyd hasn't changed his game at all since leaving Rangers..
He struggled to hold down a place at Boro/Forrest/Turkish club...

He did alright at Forest,but it generally hasn't worked out for him,post RFC.The same is true of a lot of former players who moved on for whatever reasons.It doesn't mean they wouldn't have gone from strength to strength had they remained at Ibrox.

Denver_Ba
10-09-2012, 12:58
He did carry the "lucky" tag around with him though...........I well remember a couple of times, even Our fans were singing "There's only one jammy bastard!" after he had scored to put us 4 or 5 up.

The luck thing is something some players have.

Overall McCoist was a very good footballer, lethal striker and carried the luck.

braeside58
10-09-2012, 13:01
Put it this way, I wish we has someone like Ally playing for us now.

I thought he was a superb player for us.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 13:07
Miller rarely played when we went 1 upfront, if anything it was JCD and Cousin that Boyd was in completion with.

One who couldnít complete 90 minutes, and the other who had a questionable attitude at best, although admittedly utterly p*sed all over any forward we have had for the last 5 years when playing up top on his own and in the mood.

But more often than Boyd did in a formation used a bit more frequently than it really needed to be.Plus he did start on the bench a fair bit in the earlier part of the second Smith era,whatever the chosen formation.

Kaunas would never have happend if Walter had gone with a more attacking approach that included Boyd from the start,in the Ibrox leg.

200000 Heroes
10-09-2012, 13:10
"The man who never made a mistake never made anything".-Anon

Have edited my previous post to add McCoists most famous howler.

But as the first player ever in Europe to win two consecutive Golden Boot awards we can surely forgive and forget Ally's more human flaws. We will never know if he was World Class or not as he never played in a World Class team.

His Golden Boot awards are often overlooked, even on here, by applying the Groucho Marx "how can I join a club that would have me as a member" philosophy.

Even our own fans used to say, "ah but, he did it in Scotland", the inference being that his achievement was in some way belittled by the fact that all things Scottish must surely be pish.

However, what this attitude overlooks is that Rangers came within a hairs breadth of a European CL final, and probably should have been in that final had it not been for some seriously dodgy bribery by Marseilles (eventually stripped of the trophy). I have to say that I take issue with those who claim that that Rangers side wasn't "world class", whatever that means. I disagree. I think that Rangers team was world class and we were right royally cheated out of the recognition we deserved by being denied our CL Final place.

An absolute legend of a player and so much more than just being a "decent" player. That is ridiculously unfair on one of best strikers Scotland has produced since Law and another who can't be mentioned as he traitored his boyhood heroes by joining them.

Super Ally, Super Ally, Ole, Ole, Ole ... :):):)

scoobytwo
10-09-2012, 13:10
McCoist was more than decent. He may not have been world class but he was a very good player.

The press say the tims will sell Hooper for 6m upwards. McCoist was miles better than him.
Honestly if he was about now and in his mid 20's folk would be clamouring over him.

I think too many peoples memories of McCoist are from his last seasons at Rangers when he came on a sub and scored a goal with his erse. He was so much more than that.

53easy
10-09-2012, 13:13
But more often than Boyd did in a formation used a bit more frequently than it really needed to be.Plus he did start on the bench a fair bit in the earlier part of the second Smith era,whatever the chosen formation.

Kaunas would never have happend if Walter had gone with a more attacking approach that included Boyd from the start,in the Ibrox leg.

We played Miller and JCD against Kaunas :confused:

Napoleon
10-09-2012, 13:13
To mention Boyd in this thread is laughable.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
10-09-2012, 13:15

And ended up with three strikers on the pitch in the last 20 minutes as well at Ibrox.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 13:22

But we should have played 4-3-3 from the start and had Boyd on from the start.I know it's easy to be wise with the benefit of hindsight but this comes under the heading of foresight.Walter also has legend status with me but he really boobed here.

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 13:27

We used 5-4-1 about a handful of times, the majority of the time Miller was back it was him and Boyd up front.

53easy
10-09-2012, 13:27
But we should have played 4-3-3 from the start and had Boyd on from the start.I know it's easy to be wise with the benefit of hindsight but this comes under the heading of foresight.Walter also has legend status with me but he really boobed here.

We should have played 4-3-3 in Europe :confused:

We went out to Kaunas for the following reasons

Miller and JCD missing chances at Ibrox
Walter playing Daily in midfield away game
McGregor letting a 40 yard free kick go over his head.
Velicka missing a sitter
Daily poor control which led to them scoring from the corner.

Rangers should never play 4-3-3 in any game in Europe.

Alexi_Mikhailichenko
10-09-2012, 13:33
Completely agree with those pointing out that KB and McCoist had different abilities, with McCoist being the superior player out of the two.

McCoist worked hard off the ball to get into good positions, he always wanted to score or progress the play in a positive manner, he could unleash a thunderbolt with his right foot, he was an excellent header of the ball in that he could aim his headers well, and he linked up well with other attack-minded players. Brilliant striker.

I remember at the time when him and Hateley were terrorising defences Alex Ferguson came out and stated that Hateley was the best striker in the UK at the time. As much as I loved Hateley I think I'd rather have McCoist in my team than him if I was forced to choose one or the other.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 13:34
To mention Boyd in this thread is laughable.

I really don't see why,especially as the guy would have been the next Ally McCoist if only we'd had the sense to hold on to him.Some bears do seem to find this notion laughable but it always leaves me a lot closer to tears that this was allowed to happen.

Three times we've had the next Ally on our books in the shape of Negri,Mikey Mols and Kris,three times it hasn't worked out and only once can rotten luck be blamed.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
10-09-2012, 13:54

4-3-3 means Boyd through the middle on his own which is a complete no no.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 13:57
We used 5-4-1 about a handful of times, the majority of the time Miller was back it was him and Boyd up front.

A pretty big handful,I'd say.And yes,Boyd did start a lot in his later days under Smith but don't forget that the squad size was getting smaller by that point.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 14:01

I was going to say to 53easy that the more cautious approach did us no favours vs.Kaunas at Ibrox.Looks like two birds with one stone,SDF.Walter's tactics were generally good on this stage,second time round,but he showed them far too much respect for most of that night and it really came back to bite us:(

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 14:02
A pretty big handful,I'd say.And yes,Boyd did start a lot in his later days under Smith but don't forget that the squad size was getting smaller by that point.

Not at all, a couple of CL games, Celtic away and St Mirren was about all I can remember…

Nice Banner....by the way.;)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45419000/jpg/_45419092_boyd_banner_416.jpg

Empire
10-09-2012, 14:04
Having McCoist in our team as a young lad growing up during NIAR was Roy Of The Rovers stuff.

It just felt that he'd ALWAYS score. The 1993 LCF is the perfect example of that.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 14:13
Not at all, a couple of CL games, Celtic away and St Mirren was about all I can rememberÖ

Nice Banner....by the way.;)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45419000/jpg/_45419092_boyd_banner_416.jpg

It didn't always make sense to use it in Europe,and certainly not here except maybe vs. the dark side at their place.

Okay,no one man is bigger than the club and Boyd moving on didn't derail 3 in a row.But I'd suggest this happened in spite of his exit rather than because of it.

JellaFella
10-09-2012, 14:17
It didn't always make sense to use it in Europe,and certainly not here except maybe vs. the dark side at their place.

Okay,no one man is bigger than the club and Boyd moving on didn't derail 3 in a row.But I'd suggest this happened in spite of his exit rather than because of it.

We were progressing as a team, Boyd wasnít progressing as a player.

The formation used by Smith made more sense in the games he did use it than it would have to play 4-3-3.

You are making it out like we played 5-4-1 regularly in the SPL, we didnít.

Empire
10-09-2012, 14:19
I thought this thread was about McCoist?.......

ScottGer76
10-09-2012, 14:34
Great striker, his record for Scotland was great. At the time Rangers and the SPL were a great standard.

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 14:38
We were progressing as a team, Boyd wasnít progressing as a player.

The formation used by Smith made more sense in the games he did use it than it would have to play 4-3-3.

You are making it out like we played 5-4-1 regularly in the SPL, we didnít.

I accept that Walter didn't use 5-4-1 massively,I simply question the necessity of a few of the instances where he did.And Boyd was no dead cert in the starting line up,during the early days of Smith rides again,irrespective of the formation being used.

In the end,a player scoring goals for fun,as he was,should be held on to for as long as he continues to do so,unless silly money is being offered for him (which it wasn't) or his price for signing a new contract truly is way too high(which,again,it wasn't).

Empire
10-09-2012, 14:44
In the end,a player scoring goals for fun,as he was,should be held on to for as long as he continues to do so,unless silly money is being offered for him (which it wasn't) or his price for signing a new contract truly is way too high(which,again,it wasn't).

Boyd could have easily stayed with us but his greed got the better of him.

Here's a sobering thought. Had we given Boyd what he wanted, we wouldn't have signed Jelavic.....

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 14:51
I thought this thread was about McCoist?.......

Mate,as I said,Ally McCoist has legend status with me.

I just couldn't stand by while a guy who outscored Hoopy Henrik,stuck up for one of our greatest ever captains and would still be here now banging them in for us,had he had a real choice in the matter,was rubbished yet again on FF :(

East Coast Blue Nose
10-09-2012, 15:03
Boyd could have easily stayed with us but his greed got the better of him.

Here's a sobering thought. Had we given Boyd what he wanted, we wouldn't have signed Jelavic.....

A contract that actually existed and was almost as good as anything on offer south of the border allied to a manager who wouldn't do to him (KB) what Souness had done to him (AMc) doesn't exactly scream greedy b*st*rd to me.

Here's a few more sobering thoughts,have we yet seen a single penny for the Jela fella's sale.And,fair dos to the guy,he was totally upfront about RFC being a stepping stone to the EPL-plus it was great to have him for the time that he was here-but Kris Boyd was a Rangers man who didn't really want to go down that road.

kelpie
10-09-2012, 15:35
Kris Boyd was a cracking finisher who took/takes way too much stick on here.

But to compare him with McCoist is madness.

bigbluebroxi
10-09-2012, 16:03
I really don't see why,especially as the guy would have been the next Ally McCoist if only we'd had the sense to hold on to him.Some bears do seem to find this notion laughable but it always leaves me a lot closer to tears that this was allowed to happen.

Three times we've had the next Ally on our books in the shape of Negri,Mikey Mols and Kris,three times it hasn't worked out and only once can rotten luck be blamed.

How old are you?

Boyd was a lazy feckless waster, who just happened to be a good finisher.

McCoist on the otherhand was a wonderful striker. Hardworking, intelligent and a good team player who was an outstanding finisher.

Boyd never was and never would have been "the next McCoist". To claim as such is an utter embarrasment and a total insult to Super Ally.

If your old enough to have watched McCoist regularly for us then your obvioisuly one of those guys who understands nothing about the game other than what a goal is.

If you didnt see him on a regular basis then I suggest you stop digging the hole and go a watch some old footage of McCoist in his pomp.

bigbluebroxi
10-09-2012, 16:05
I was going to say to 53easy that the more cautious approach did us no favours vs.Kaunas at Ibrox.Looks like two birds with one stone,SDF.Walter's tactics were generally good on this stage,second time round,but he showed them far too much respect for most of that night and it really came back to bite us:(

Miller and JCD both missed sitters that night. More than one open goal was missed if i remember correctly!

The problem we had in that tie was refusing to play any central midfielders!

imager
10-09-2012, 16:08

To get the best from Boyd it had to be 4-4-2, he simply couldn't play the lone Striker role, his first touch was abysmal.

Hampshire Bear
10-09-2012, 16:11
Our greatest ever striker!

That is all!

Dunantblue
10-09-2012, 16:13
Mate,as I said,Ally McCoist has legend status with me.

I just couldn't stand by while a guy who outscored Hoopy Henrik,stuck up for one of our greatest ever captains and would still be here now banging them in for us,had he had a real choice in the matter,was rubbished yet again on FF :(

Greatest ever captains? Barry Ferguson? Are you at it?

And before answering, consider exactly what you are saying here in the context of some of the genuinely great men who have worn that armband for us.

Hampshire Bear
10-09-2012, 16:16
Greatest ever captains? Barry Ferguson? Are you at it?

And before answering, consider exactly what you are saying here in the context of some of the genuinely great men who have worn that armband for us.

FFS, is it bash Barry time now?

He was a great player and a great captain for us!

Maybe we should all just keep to the topic?