PDA

View Full Version : Follow Follow the song !

Pavarotti
10-09-2012, 01:41
Does anyone know who originally wrote or sang this,?

I have just seen on Utube that a guy by the name of Buddy Logan sing this but it is called the " Rangers song ". It is dated 1961 he is also the brother of Jimmy Logan, So was he the original ?

CambridgeBear
10-09-2012, 01:45
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/f/o/followon.htm

Spiced Blue
10-09-2012, 01:51
Dont know who came up with the Rangers Follow Follow version
but believe it's based on the hymn "I Will Follow Jesus" although i stand

to be corrected. Have heard it played at a couple of
funerals and both were good bluenoses.

CambridgeBear
10-09-2012, 01:53
Dont know who came up with the Rangers Follow Follow version
but believe it's based on the hymn "I Will Follow Jesus" although
i stand to be corrected. Have heard it played at a couple of
funerals and both were good bluenoses.

Correct see post 2

Pavarotti
10-09-2012, 02:51

That is almost certain to be the original version, but who takes the plaudits for being the first to change it to the " Rangers song ". ? And when ?

britain
10-09-2012, 05:59
I got it banned in 1975 from Sunday School because I was always singing I will follow Rangers instead of I will follow Jesus.:eek::angel::D

jimren
10-09-2012, 06:46
first Rangers song I knew in the 1940s:D:D:D Dont know who wrote it but certain it was'nt Buddy.

WBD
10-09-2012, 08:06
There are actually 2 hymns used. Follow Jesus and No not one.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/n/o/nonotone.htm

Flashman
10-09-2012, 08:11
While we're at it, since we've cut out the ridiculous part of the song, rather than mumbling or missing a line, can we not sing the original words: Aberdeen and back again? Or is someone going to correct me on this? Dunfermline and Dumbarton?

Orangeandblue
10-09-2012, 08:29
While we're at it, since we've cut out the ridiculous part of the song, rather than mumbling or missing a line, can we not sing the original words: Aberdeen and back again? Or is someone going to correct me on this? Dunfermline and Dumbarton?

It might just be me but I don't like the "Aberdeen and back again" line.
I prefer the original..

Follow follow we will follow Rangers
Everywhere anywhere we will follow on
If they go to Dublin we will follow on

gordon_blue
10-09-2012, 08:32
Here we go again ...

I thought the original was:

"Dundee, Hamilton, Celtic Park or Hampden
If they go to Dublin, we will follow on!"

I'm sure that was on a vinyl LP in the 60s.

WBD
10-09-2012, 08:36
Here we go again ...

I'm sure that was on a vinyl LP in the 60s.Nope. No other teams mentioned. Just Follow Follow repeated again.

WBD
10-09-2012, 08:40
The bears singing it in 1970. No Dundee Hamilton Aberdeen or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUuWSRr0Lzo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

papasmurf
10-09-2012, 09:12
Dundee, Hamilton, even up to Elgin! :)

Brother Moses
10-09-2012, 09:15
Dundee, Hamilton, even up to Elgin! :)

Dundee, Hamilton, Peterheed or Annan ;)

ally-c
10-09-2012, 09:18
Am sure everyone as there own we twist to it

WBD
10-09-2012, 09:42
Am sure everyone as there own we twist to itAnd there lies the problem.

SJwatp
10-09-2012, 09:47
I prefer the original..

I can remember singing this in the late 50 and that was the words then

exilebear
10-09-2012, 09:53
I can remember singing this in the late 50 and that was the words then

In the 70s it was still the same. Dundee etc came into fashion in the early 80s from what I recall

old bluebell
10-09-2012, 10:15
i can remember singing this in the late 50 and that was the words then

agreed :))

gordon_blue
10-09-2012, 10:31
Here's a real archive tester.

When we won the league in 1975, there was a party day at Ibrox on the last day of the season. We all got a songsheet, printed on very thin blue paper with white print and it had the words to all the songs for the afternoon.

Does any Bear still have one of these?

If so, what words for Follow Follow were on it?

TheSnowman
10-09-2012, 10:39
I used to own a bar in Benidorm and a guy from Harthill came in and told me that his dad wrote the song in 1947. I had no way of checking this at the time, even though he told me his name. Forgotten it now, sorry.

toadegree
10-09-2012, 11:14
I prefer the original..

The proper words.

borderscot
10-09-2012, 11:37
The Rangers Song by Buddy Logan released in 1961 on PYE 7N.15401 credited as composed by Hogan McComish

The words were changed to dundee hamilton etc on the 1965 Recording "The blue flag & Follow Follow" credited to Sanden/Stewart with the Caledonian Accordian Band, vocalist possibly John Dunbar

WBD
10-09-2012, 12:20
The Rangers Song by Buddy Logan released in 1961 on PYE 7N.15401 credited as composed by Hogan McComish

The words were changed to dundee hamilton etc on the 1965 Recording "The blue flag & Follow Follow" credited to Sanden/Stewart with the Caledonian Accordian Band, vocalist possibly John DunbarWas 'The Rangers song' Follow Follow?

Govan36
10-09-2012, 12:25

The words were changed to dundee hamilton etc on the 1965 Recording "The blue flag & Follow Follow" credited to Sanden/Stewart with the Caledonian Accordian Band, vocalist possibly John Dunbar

Ahhh the memories, Buddy Logan, the recording in which the immortal lyrics include;

Up the stairs,
Doon the stairs,
We will follow on

The "B" side called Play the Game doesn't get much airplay time these days, pity because it contains such gems as;

get the ball into the goal we will shout hooray,
the Rangers are the greatest team that we have seen today

Hooray to that ;)

jimbear
10-09-2012, 12:27
That is almost certain to be the original version, but who takes the plaudits for being the first to change it to the " Rangers song ". ? And when ?

My mother-in-law has an LP of one of the old Scottish music hall comedians which has a recording from the 1920's of a sketch he did about a drunk Glaswegian on a Saturday night. Every so often the guy launches into a chorus of 'Follow Follow'. That indicates to me that the song was a well established Rangers' supporters song long before the date of the recording.

WBD
10-09-2012, 12:30
Was 'The Rangers song' Follow Follow?

Never hear this before. I notice he doesn't mentio Celtic knowing all about thier troubles :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSy1MRu-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SJwatp
10-09-2012, 12:31
Around the 80 the filth took exception to if we go to Dublin and a lot of the words got changed for recordings etc

jimbear
10-09-2012, 12:31

When we won the league in 1975, there was a party day at Ibrox on the last day of the season. We all got a songsheet, printed on very thin blue paper with white print and it had the words to all the songs for the afternoon.

I was at that game and don't remeber a songsheet. I remember Richard Park compering it and John Greig going round the track in a chariot or something like one.

deedle
10-09-2012, 12:33

Those weren't the original words.

deedle
10-09-2012, 12:37
'Follow, Follow' has been about since the 1920s at the latest and possibly a good while before.

Along with 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles', it is one of the oldest songs in football history.

This is why we cannot allow it to be corrupted.

'The Billy Boys' was also sung in the 1920s - someone I know found a newspaper reference to Rangers fans singing their own words to 'Marching Through Georgia' at the 1928 Cup Final.

isawthat
10-09-2012, 12:42

As I remember, the Buddy Logan version on that record broke into The Sash for a few seconds, resulting in the BBC banning it from their request programmes.

WBD
10-09-2012, 12:53
As I remember, the Buddy Logan version on that record broke into The Sash for a few seconds, resulting in the BBC banning it from their request programmes.It does. Check my link above

McShave 07
10-09-2012, 13:31
My mother-in-law has an LP of one of the old Scottish music hall comedians which has a recording from the 1920's of a sketch he did about a drunk Glaswegian on a Saturday night. Every so often the guy launches into a chorus of 'Follow Follow'. That indicates to me that the song was a well established Rangers' supporters song long before the date of the recording.

You should get a recording of that and get it online. I'm pretty curious to hear this.

Popbear
10-09-2012, 13:33

Never knew this before , so thanks.
Every day is a school day.:D

Jasper72
10-09-2012, 13:34
Here we go again ...

I'm sure that was on a vinyl LP in the 60s.

Thats the one I know

10-09-2012, 14:57
That Buddy Logan one is on an official Rangers CD from late 90's / early 00's. Think they should belt that out at Ibrox :) Used to love that CD as a kid and found it a again a couple years ago and listened threw it to my amazement of the sash on it. If only we could get away with that on the tannoy!

Ubik
10-09-2012, 14:59
The proper words.

it sounds a lot better with the proper words

gordon_blue
10-09-2012, 15:26
I was at that game and don't remeber a songsheet. I remember Richard Park compering it and John Greig going round the track in a chariot or something like one.

We got the sheet either with the programme or just inside the turnstiles.

Richard Park? I seem to remember some "comedian" called Mel/Mal/Matt something or other.

britain
11-09-2012, 06:32

Pretty sure these sheets were given to first 10,000 inside ground. I never got near one and I've never even seen one to this day.

Govan36
11-09-2012, 06:51
As I remember, the Buddy Logan version on that record broke into The Sash for a few seconds, resulting in the BBC banning it from their request programmes.

That bit only broke into the melody between verses there are no lyrics from the sash on the recording. ;)

am proud 2 b blue
11-09-2012, 09:41

We sang this at the memorial service last year.