PDA

View Full Version : Are the SFL Clubs better than we have given them credit for?

TheKillerToad
29-08-2012, 00:18
There's been a lot of talk about how embarrassing it has been for us to have drawn with teams like Berwick Rangers and Peterhead and whilst I would agree that we should be beating part time teams like this, I think perhaps we have underestimated them.

The truth is I thought Berwick, at times, played some decent stuff on the deck against us and were worth the result. Peterhead also had spells where they played some good stuff and caused us problems.

I am well aware that some of these teams are part time and we really should be beating them comfortably but I must admit to be being surprised at how well some of them have played. I didnt know what to expect to be honest when we were put in the 3rd but these teams have more than surpassed my expectations ie its been a bit of a struggle at times.

What with 3 SFL teams putting the SPL on its arse (no laughing at the back) maybe the SFL has more quality than it has been given credit for?

GingerFurball
29-08-2012, 00:22
Other than the way they tired in the last 15 minutes I didn't really see much of a difference between East Stirling and the numerous diddy teams we've skelped over the years in the SPL.

LostSoulForever 2
29-08-2012, 00:23
No. It's a desperately poor league, but we've treated it with contempt and expected to just be able to turn up and win.

hagi bear
29-08-2012, 00:25
No

The strangest thing is the amount of people acting like disgraceful away performances is something new for us. Our style of play has been consistently abysmal away from Ibrox for basically the last decade. How many times during 3 in a row did we go away from home, sit back and not attempt to come onto the opposition, hoof long balls to Boyd and Lafferty, and steal a one goal victory? I would estimate close to 20.

blueintheface
29-08-2012, 01:24
Go back 2 months on this board and you'll see people suggesting we sign all these former 'heroes' who are now in their 40's.

The vast majority grossly underestimated the ability, fitness and (most importantly) the attitude of lower league players.

IndianRope
29-08-2012, 09:57
The sooner Rangers are recognised as a 3rd division team (give or take a couple of players - that is exactly what we are) then the sooner we'll stop overestimating the damage we should be conflicted to other SFL teams.

jbrfc1
29-08-2012, 10:45
No, our shocking attempts at playing football have led people to think this.

tonymcp
29-08-2012, 10:48
No we think we can turn up and give 50% and the game will be won.the results so far are our own doing

BlueNotWhyte
29-08-2012, 10:52
We have to show them more respect both as a support and a team.

Our early stumbling may be due to lack of pre-season preparation, but we should prepare for every SFL game with as much thoroughness as we do with the SPL perhaps even more so.

Le Gaffer
29-08-2012, 10:53
I think it's highlighting just how poor the SPL actually is and the gulf in class and quality is very small indeed between the top and bottom divisions with it being backed up with 3 SPL teams going out last night and the sheep molesters scraping through on tuesday

negri
29-08-2012, 10:54
is it really a surprise ?

just need to look at the last three years cup games to tell you , even with a full SPL winning squad we didnt steam roller lower league teams , we were taking to a replay once too often even then

CoeurdeLion
29-08-2012, 10:58
The SFL clubs are full of honest, hard-working players who play football for the love of the game.

The standard of play - rather than ability - currently seems to be improving in the SFL generally while the quality of the SPL is probably at its lowest for some time?

IMO :)

So YES = meaning that we need "to get the finger out" and treat every team with respect and focus and train harder. On the field we expect / demand that the outplay the opposition with football.

xorbi
29-08-2012, 11:02
What is shows is that the overall standard in Scotland is very very poor.

We are deluding ourselves if we claim otherwise.

buster
29-08-2012, 11:02
Anyone else sense that some SFL clubs have a renewed sense of purpose this season ?

QotS beating Hibs could happen anytime but Stenhousemuir going to Rugby Park and beating Killie was a big surprise.

SFL3 seems to have enjoyed an obvious lift.

Prior to playing us, East Stirling thrashed Airdie 3-0 in the Ramsdens Cup then came to Ibrox and went a goal up :eek:

Strange days !!!

Tagsbear
29-08-2012, 11:08
They have players fit enough to run their hearts out for 90 minutes and compete although more so at home.

I think we will win the league comfortably, however the 2 away games we have had should show the players they will need to fight to get results at tight grounds against players who see it as a Cup Final.

We also have a group of players kind of thrown together who have no experience, bar a couple, of playing for a club that demands a win in every game.

It will take a while to settle down, although many of our support have memories like Goldfish and think everything should be hunky dory only a matter of weeks after it looked like we may not play at all this season.

govantrueblue
29-08-2012, 11:09
No, they are what they are, they are in Div 3 because that is their rightful place in terms of there football over the course of the last few years, we have undoubtably took this division for granted and the sooner we pull our socks up the better.

bandicoot
29-08-2012, 11:09
It is strange days. I reckon the gap is nowhere near where any of us originally thought before this new journey began. However if Rangers players buck up their ideas and actually get in the opposition faces, we will be able to gain quick possession and build proper attacks. The solution is within our control.

Tagsbear
29-08-2012, 11:10
Anyone else sense that some SFL clubs have a renewed sense of purpose this season ?

QotS beating Hibs could happen anytime but Stenhousemuir going to Rugby Park and beating Killie was a big surprise.

SFL3 seems to have enjoyed an obvious lift.

Prior to playing us, East Stirling thrashed Airdie 3-0 in the Ramsdens Cup then came to Ibrox and went a goal up :eek:

Strange days !!!

I'm pally with an Elgin player, he can't believe he is travelling to Ibrox looking to open up a 5 point gap and stay top of the table, we are 100% through the looking glass!:D

buster
29-08-2012, 11:13
It is strange days. I reckon the gap is nowhere near where any of us originally thought before this new journey began. However if Rangers players buck up their ideas and actually get in the opposition faces, we will be able to gain quick possession and build proper attacks. The solution is within our control.

I have no doubt that when we can get past this transfer window and establish a reasonably settled team that well skoosh the league as originally envisaged.

Whitey_22
29-08-2012, 11:22
I don't see much difference between 5th place in the SPL to Berwick in all honesty, apart from fitness.

Chubster
29-08-2012, 11:24
I don't think the SFL teams are better than we give them credit for... I do think the SPL teams are worse than they give themselves credit for, which is exposed year in year out during July/August Euro qualification...and of course during domestic cup competition.

TheHeebyJeebies
29-08-2012, 11:36
There's been a lot of talk about how embarrassing it has been for us to have drawn with teams like Berwick Rangers and Peterhead and whilst I would agree that we should be beating part time teams like this, I think perhaps we have underestimated them.

The truth is I thought Berwick, at times, played some decent stuff on the deck against us and were worth the result. Peterhead also had spells where they played some good stuff and caused us problems.

I am well aware that some of these teams are part time and we really should be beating them comfortably but I must admit to be being surprised at how well some of them have played. I didnt know what to expect to be honest when we were put in the 3rd but these teams have more than surpassed my expectations ie its been a bit of a struggle at times.

What with 3 SFL teams putting the SPL on its arse (no laughing at the back) maybe the SFL has more quality than it has been given credit for?

No its a terrible league with terrible football,i'm not sure how far down the English leagues you have to go to be that bad...

superrangers
29-08-2012, 12:27
No. It's a desperately poor league, but we've treated it with contempt and expected to just be able to turn up and win.

This for me.

People are making excuses for McCoist and the team. We were a poor refereeing decision away from being pumped by Berwick, which is not acceptable on any level.

Fans need to see things for what they are. We are a squad of professionals, who are not being trained hard enough, well enough or set up well enough to compete with part-time inferior opposition, for whom we are their cup final.

WeeBudsBud
29-08-2012, 12:51
I don't think the SFL teams are better than we give them credit for... I do think the SPL teams are worse than they give themselves credit for, which is exposed year in year out during July/August Euro qualification...and of course during domestic cup competition.

I agree.

I watched Ross Co (on the net:roll:) play the bheasts and they really should have beat them.

I was at Starks Park on Saturday and watched RR draw 0-0 with Livingston and RR were lucky to get nil. How they went up there last night and royally pumped Ross Co beggars belief.:confused:

I go back to the 60s and Scottish fitbaw is as crap as it`s ever been. I couldn`t wait for the final whistle on Saturday. It was dross.

oneraywilkins
29-08-2012, 12:57

Correct. Scotland are heading for a co-efficient the size of Lennon's IQ and the SPL teams were again humiliated last night. However, there are absolutely no excuses on our part - the manager has employed deplorable tactics (except a bit of a passing game at home against the worst club in world league football before people try to correct me) and the attitude of those we have played has been far better than practically every one of our players. Sort that out and we will absolutely p.iss it IMO.

laudofan
29-08-2012, 13:00
I think these teams are much better than they were maybe 20-30 years ago.

Their organisation is better and the players look fit to me.

carltonblue
29-08-2012, 13:04
Over the years I've never ceased to be amazed at how various Rangers teams contrive to make poorer teams look good or at least better than they are.

It's really pisses me off to be honest

Jimlad150
29-08-2012, 13:08
nope, the standard isn't really much better

if we played the ball on the ground, the part-time defenders would find it much harder to defend rather than the hopeless hoof from defence to attack. Our tactics are the problem as probably everybody knows. We had the same sort of problems against Dundee Hibs, hoofing the ball to crap like Kenneth who knew how to defend that instead of playing the ball on the ground and getting past the big haddy

derbybear
29-08-2012, 13:31
What is shows is that the overall standard in Scotland is very very poor.

We are deluding ourselves if we claim otherwise.

THis was shown when an unkown team whacked the sheep 8-1 at home and a few weeks later we fo with 5 at the back!!

spartacus
29-08-2012, 13:41
No, our shocking attempts at playing football have led people to think this.

Bang on the money. These teams are 3 divisions below the SPL for a reason, they're pish! Hopefully sooner rather than later we'll start playing like we should be and will hammer these teams week in week out.

Dadoprso's ponytail9
29-08-2012, 14:02
no standard is pretty poor,if we played a bit of football instead of lumping it up the park we would win every game easily

devilman
29-08-2012, 14:08
Perhaps we have underestimated them a little. We've perhaps underestimated their desire to do well more than anything.

However, we should still be winning the games and winning them well. The reason we're not is purely because we have been so poor, tactics awful and just general attitude from the players and management not good enough.

The Predator
29-08-2012, 14:19
No, it is our approach that makes them look better than they are.

From what I have seen so far, the oppositions attitude and never say die mentality is good to see. It is this I feel our players are fooking it up. In the SPL they were used to if a team gets beat they down tools and we run out comfortable winners. We could be 4-0 up in SFL3 and these wee teams will still run about all over the place chasing things down. Our players need to get their heads round that and adapt to it quickly.

I also think that in some ways us entering the Scottish Football Leauges has actually reignited the lower divisions. Their is a good buzz around the SFL at the moment with us being part of it. I would like to think these clubs benefit from us packing out their stadiums and help improve them in the future. Whether that is their stadiums, team investment etc. Help bring in more fans.

I mean, what was it. 4500 odd up at Peterhead at start of the season. Guessing ticket price was around 15. Using that figure, that is 67,500 straight away. Add to that food prices up there. Half of that crowd at 5 per head is around 11250. I understand this is a bit of guess work, but you get my point. Its near enough 80000 straight away. Compare this money to their normal crowds of 300 odd people or something any other year.

I am probably not far off when I say we will bring around 200,000 in total for these smaller teams this season after playing them away twice.

SFL seems to be booming in some ways whilst the SPL has stagnated and looks to be spiralling downwards. Great I say.

averagebear
29-08-2012, 14:20
The interest and money in the SFL has never been greater. Just at a time when the interest and money in the SPL has never been lower. Clearly still a large gap but one that has reduced significantly and will only reduce further as the SPL continues to suffer and Rangers continue to spread the wealth by climbing the leagues.

Last nights cup "upsets" just serve to redistribute the wealth even further.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
29-08-2012, 14:23

This.

It's nothing more than an excuse people are grasping at.

We've treated this league as some sort of comedy roadshow and expected to have fun, laughs and merriment along the way.

We're paying some guys 10,000 a week. They're paying guys 20 petrol money.

We should be fu.cking these teams for fun.

GioVanB
29-08-2012, 14:25
Scottish football is garbage.

All of it.

That includes us.

jaws73
29-08-2012, 14:28
I must say that I have been quite impressed with the way teams have been set up, their style of play, their ambition (in an attacking sense). Whilst they seem to be coached to a reasonable standard I suppose player quality and fitness is bound to give (not that you would have noticed in our away fixtures right enough).

They certainly seem to be doing enough of the basics well enough so there isn't a massive chasm with the SPL clubs (who seem to be getting worse year upon year)

Moses Brox
29-08-2012, 14:31
I think it's highlighting just how poor the SPL actually is and the gulf in class and quality is very small indeed between the top and bottom divisions with it being backed up with 3 SPL teams going out last night and the sheep molesters scraping through on tuesday
Totally agree with this.

sirbluenose
29-08-2012, 14:34

I'm sure it's partially this, there's probably a lot of guys in these teams who are maybe first divison or even SPL quality who just never got the break or never took the chance.
The name that always comes back to me is Ken Eadie who played for Clydebank for years but refused to go full time because he had, in his opinion, a pretty decent job.
Could easily have played for a team from the top league but wasn't willing to chance his future.

On the other hand if you compare the home results to the away results we've had I'd say it's a bit of culture shocmk both ways
Our guys aren't used to public parks and the opposition are probably a bit overwhelmed at Ibrox

I reckon the results reflect a combination of both these factors

biodoc
29-08-2012, 14:40
No, the SPL is alot worse than we had thought. The standard of football is poor but, the attitude of our players have been worse and we have deserved what we got in those matches, though it is debatable if we even deserved as many points as we did get.