PDA

View Full Version : Still Pre-Season

Aggieblue
27-08-2012, 13:43
I was at Berwick yesterday along with many thousands of Bears and yes I agree the football was poor, however consider this;
We should of played up to 10 games with Pre-season tour, tournaments and testimonials, we didn't even know if we'd be playing never mind what division or even what playing staff we'd have left or be able to bring in, now i'm not making excuses for yesterday's performance but players don't deliberately play poorly and having missed all the match contact conditioning for which there is no substitute this new group of players need TIME, it will come and the league will be won by Christmas so get of Ally and the players backs FFs, also wee bump for Derek who helped me out yesterday.:cool:

sfaulds
27-08-2012, 13:45
we are a professional team with international players playing against part time joiners and labourers. No pre season is a not an excuse for not passing the ball around.

govantrueblue
27-08-2012, 13:47
Irrespective of how many games we have played we still should be beating Berwick.

mac1983
27-08-2012, 13:48
We should have SPL class players and are playing postmen.

We should be bossing these games.

buzz07
27-08-2012, 13:48
we are a professional team with international players playing against part time joiners and labourers. No pre season is a not an excuse for not passing the ball around.

Correct.
We should be walking over the top of Div 3 teams, and that is not being disrepectful to Berwick and the like.

Aggieblue
27-08-2012, 13:49
It will come, that's what I'm saying it will come as players don't deliberately play badly.

norried
27-08-2012, 13:53
i agree with everything said above but do i have to remind every one lesser teams (no disrespect) have always raised their games against us, so coupled with the lack of match fitness and the raising the game i can understand (unhappily) whats happening.

time is what will prove the team and manager to be good or not good.

we should be winning all our games by mid september.

subwayandloyal
27-08-2012, 13:54
Fed up with this not match fit and kick up the ass we needed bull that's getting regurgitated on here.
Berwick looked fitter hungrier for the ball and worse of all out passed us.

Kyle89
27-08-2012, 13:56
We've won easily at home yet struggled badly away from home. It's no coincidence. It's either tactics, attitude, wrong players in the wrong positions or maybe a combination of them all. I don't buy this no pre-season crap. We should be beating these teams regardless.

JellaFella
27-08-2012, 13:57
This idea that we should simply turn up and pass teams of the park is a fantasy at best, you only have to look at the early season form of a well coached side like Arsenal last season to see what happens early doors when you just throw players together.

Super-Swally
Give the team another month or so.

Then they will be up to speed.

No-preseason, notion that we should turn up and win should really be binned as berwick,peterhead have shown and the team needs time to gel, considering we'll be adding another 4-5 bodies by the end of the week!!!

baileysforme
I think the biggest problem is getting through to these players that they do not have a devine right just to turn up and win these games. The teams who we will be playing this season will see this as their cup final.
We have to be in the right frame of mind to compete with these teams. If not we will struggle.

Hendrixbear
27-08-2012, 13:59
It could have been our first game of preseason and that still would have been unacceptable shite. That said, it will take time for the players to gel and partnerships to be formed but Ally shouldn't accept performances from players who simply don't try. Frankly I'd have been more upset if we had played like that against Falkirk the other night as I'd like to see us do well in all cup competitions. A draw away from home in the league isn't going to stop us becoming champions and while we will probably drop more points away from home this season, we will certainly not play as badly as that again.

Davy the badger
27-08-2012, 14:03
Even if that was the first game we had played all season it would not excuse Alexander punting the ball down their throat. Not once did he play it to his defenders. He is either blanking ally or ally finds it acceptable to do this. I am behind ally 100% but I never want to see us playing like that at all. Berwick outclassed us yesterday, they passed the ball well FROM THE BACK at times where as our players just hoofed it up the park.

It's not acceptable against any opposition let alone a team full of part timers.
You can give us another ten games match practice but the fact is if we continue to have Alexander punting the ball all the time then we are going to drop points on a lot more occasions.

Davie800
27-08-2012, 14:08

Correct.

We should be passing these teams off the park.

The quality of players we have should never have to revert to the long ball game in this division, doing so only plays into their hands.

thebluenosebear
27-08-2012, 14:08
With respect OP pre-season has nothing to do with players hoofing the ball aimlessly the length of the field which was the key problem.

Aggieblue
27-08-2012, 14:20
With respect OP pre-season has nothing to do with players hoofing the ball aimlessly the length of the field which was the key problem.

point taken but new players need time to adjust to a system unless they are told to hoof it and judging by Ally's response I'd say not?>:)

devilman
27-08-2012, 14:21
With the group of players at Rangers just now pre-season is not an excuse. Sorry, just not good enough.

scottyboy1984
27-08-2012, 14:56
If we played Berwick in the first game of preseason with our current squad I would expect us to win by 4 or 5. The thing for me is these teams are bursting a gut to get at us and take points off us while some of our players look to have no heart for the fight. Every player and team in this division has nothing to loose and that is the way they are going into games.

Until our players show heart and go toe to toe with these guys we will struggle away from home, having more ability is only useful if you can win the fight IMO and we are not winning our fights!

thebluenosebear
27-08-2012, 15:00
point taken but new players need time to adjust to a system unless they are told to hoof it and judging by Ally's response I'd say not?>:)

Then why were they doing it? Especially if he'd told them at half time, stop that?

I'm pretty sure we didn't sign Kevin Kyle for his silky soccer skills.

GingerFurball
27-08-2012, 15:03
We're a team of full time professionals who are now 7 games into the season.

I refuse to believe that part time teams have a fitness edge over us because they got in a few friendlies 6 weeks ago.

ibroxkev
27-08-2012, 15:06
Sorry don't agree with the "We've not had a Pre-Season" comment. We're a team full of professionals who have been training and playing for a number of weeks. I can accept that the team has to gel with new/youth players coming into the side but we should still have more than enough to see of teams such as Berwick.

I don't blame Ally, it's down to the players to realise that every away game is going to be like a cup final.

KingCarlos
27-08-2012, 15:07
Ten games? Surely not that many. Didn't think the first team played any more than 5 or 6.

This season we had the Southampton tourney, 3 German games, Le Havre...that is only 5 matches.

jbrfc1
27-08-2012, 15:16
Please stop with this no pre season nonsense, we have full time professionals up against guys with two jobs who see each other a couple of times a week.

JamesyMFH
27-08-2012, 15:41

This is the cold hard truth of the matter. Yesterday was unacceptable. Regardless of preparation, formation, team selection or players being played out of position it is simply not acceptable to be drawing games with a part time club.

calvinist
27-08-2012, 15:41
I was at Berwick yesterday along with many thousands of Bears and yes I agree the football was poor, however consider this;
We should of played up to 10 games with Pre-season tour, tournaments and testimonials, we didn't even know if we'd be playing never mind what division or even what playing staff we'd have left or be able to bring in, now i'm not making excuses for yesterday's performance but players don't deliberately play poorly and having missed all the match contact conditioning for which there is no substitute this new group of players need TIME, it will come and the league will be won by Christmas so get of Ally and the players backs FFs, also wee bump for Derek who helped me out yesterday.:cool:

Berwick played just 2 preseason games .

Berwick lost 9 players and signed 16 new players ( all freebies ) for this season

Maybe you can explain then why they looked better than us ?

chilebear
27-08-2012, 15:51
So we need a pre-season to learn how to pass the ball on the deck.

How many gams will it need to stop the punt?

broxburnranger
27-08-2012, 15:53
Not a good enough reason as we should not be dropping points to clubs whose resources are limited when compared to ours. I think the management's limitations are being shown even more than last season due to having lost large numbers of players.
Cribari - looks very slow, early days
Sandaza - a player who has not shown any of the attributes which attracted us, still looks a stone over weight
Kyle - doubts remain over his fitness, possessor of the largest pair of shorts at Ibrox , looks as though he needs to lose 2 stones
Favre - unknown quantity
Argyroiu -played out of position as per usual in Mccoist/Smith teams, looked bewildered yesterday as the play largely passed him by
Black- can't take a corner or a free kick but for some reason he continues to be allowed to take them

Mccoist's tactics are outdated that is agreed , he needs a creative midfield influence and an onfield leader

trueblue4
27-08-2012, 16:16
This is the issue for me, all this no-preseason and the lack of bounce games is crap, our players turn up at 9.30 am and go home at 12.30 pm, how in heavens name do they expect to get fit and know each other is beyond me.

We have the best facilities in Scotland, and we are the most unfit team I have ever seen, even last season as an spl side we were blowing out our backside's after 65 minutes.this is all down to a lack of fitness regime and very poor coaching, no passing no one willing to run into space to get the ball, hence the big punt up the park, the basics and we cannot do them, because we don't spend enough time together on the training field.

leerfc51
27-08-2012, 16:19
I'm sorry but this is crap.

We should be beating Berwick Rangers.

Our Manager and Players have to take a look at themselves and get this sorted ASAP!

Stupid Long Balls all day are no good.

rockymountainbear
27-08-2012, 16:19

Pre-season football doesn't cure pumping the high ball up to the front to give away posession every time we have the ball.

Single Malt
27-08-2012, 16:36
Agreed that dropping points to a 3rd Div side is not on and the basics for passing the ball should be a pre-requisite but some people need a serious reality check.

We are a 3rd division club with, fortunately, a premier division set up. Although we nearly went to the wall with bad business acumen and exceptionally bad leadership at board level we remain a 3rd Division club.

Granted we are attracting some players who should breeze this league but as every cup game, we have previously been involved in away to lower league opposition, has shown is they are always up for it.

Even in the days of signing Boli, Laudrup et al, it still took time to gel as a team and adjust to each others way of playing. We need cohesion as a support and belief that things can and will improve.

Time, ladies and gentlemen is what's required, oh and a bit of patience. Opposition teams will come at us like never before and we have a far weakened team compared to previous seasons.

Just wish some of my fellow bears would remember that we nearly never had a team to follow and now we do, still aren't content. Tolerance may be lost on some but thankfully not all.

TheHeebyJeebies
27-08-2012, 17:41

Ask Alex Ferguson the result on his 1st game in charge of man u..little teams can make life hard for more talented teams...

Aggieblue
27-08-2012, 20:31
Agreed that dropping points to a 3rd Div side is not on and the basics for passing the ball should be a pre-requisite but some people need a serious reality check.

We are a 3rd division club with, fortunately, a premier division set up. Although we nearly went to the wall with bad business acumen and exceptionally bad leadership at board level we remain a 3rd Division club.

Granted we are attracting some players who should breeze this league but as every cup game, we have previously been involved in away to lower league opposition, has shown is they are always up for it.

Even in the days of signing Boli, Laudrup et al, it still took time to gel as a team and adjust to each others way of playing. We need cohesion as a support and belief that things can and will improve.

Time, ladies and gentlemen is what's required, oh and a bit of patience. Opposition teams will come at us like never before and we have a far weakened team compared to previous seasons.

Just wish some of my fellow bears would remember that we nearly never had a team to follow and now we do, still aren't content. Tolerance may be lost on some but thankfully not all.

Thankfully a voice of reason amongst the mayhem.