PDA

View Full Version : a mate sent me this,can anyone shed some light on it?

Jorg Albertz11
26-07-2012, 16:54
Senior bankers caught up in film investment tax probe Three senior investment bankers have emerged as being among the 16 individuals arrested last week as part of an investigation into allegations of tax evasion involving film financing schemes. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Photo: Getty Images By Harry Wilson, and Jonathan Russell11:30PM GMT 16 Feb 2012 Vincent Walsh, 50, until recently a director of Royal Bank of Scotland's UK equities business, Jason Edinburgh, 45, a senior equities trader at RBS, and Michael Elsom, 45, a senior trader at broking firm Marex Spectron, were among the men arrested last Wednesday in a series of raids resulting from an HM Revenue & Customs investigation into claims of tax fraud. The three men remain on the staff of their employers, but are understood to be on leave. None of the men have been charged with any crime. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Law firm Kingsley Napley, which defended rogue trader Nick Leeson, has been hired by some of the individuals arrested last week. Companies House documents named Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh and Mr Elsom as members of a partnership called Edinburgh & Walsh, which was dissolved It was revealed at the weekend that four current RBS employees and one former staff member of the bank are among the 16 individuals arrested as part of the HMRC investigation. The investigation is understood to centre on claims that City bankers have been illegally using film finance schemes to evade UK taxes. Film investment schemes were in the past a common way to claim tax relief. UK taxpayers had been allowed to claim statutory tax relief by investing in a film production, or to invest directly in a film and then write down the value of the investment to nothing. In a statement at the weekend HMRC said: "As a result of an ongoing investigation into tax-related criminal offences HMRC has arrested a number of people, some of whom work for UK banks. This investigation relates to the actions of the people arrested in relation to their own financial affairs and is not connected to the business activities of the banks." A spokesman for RBS declined to comment for this article. The bank said at the weekend: "We are not commenting at this time and are co-operating with the authorities." Marex in a statement said: "The matter in question has nothing to do with the company. In line with company policy we will not be commenting on employees' personal circumstances." Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh, and Mr Elsom were not available for comment. The Celtic connection HMRC are looking at them. Some of them are on Code 9 enquiries. As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated

bluebear
26-07-2012, 16:58
http://tokyotoys.info/images/Huntlight/FT-01_torch_light_beam.jpg

Paragraphs are good. My eyes are bleeding.

papasmurf
26-07-2012, 16:59
nope....cant be bothered trying to make sense of that. Can we have some paragraphs please?

Jorg Albertz11
26-07-2012, 17:00
http://tokyotoys.info/images/Huntlight/FT-01_torch_light_beam.jpg

Paragraphs are good. My eyes are bleeding.

Yeah I know mate, unfortunately I'm using my phone and going through this inserting paragraphs would take me forever.

Le Big Bear Bum
26-07-2012, 17:02
who said the part below? your mate?

As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated

wullie13
26-07-2012, 17:04
someone posted on here last week about the scum players etc investing in film projects as a tax dodge,

bluebwana
nope....cant be bothered trying to make sense of that. Can we have some paragraphs please?

My take exactly! However, as is often the case with 'blurb' there is usually a 'conclusion' so I just read the last couple of sentences and it made interesting reading. As to 'shining a light', sorry, no can do.

Positively Blue
Senior bankers caught up in film investment tax probe Three senior investment bankers have emerged as being among the 16 individuals arrested last week as part of an investigation into allegations of tax evasion involving film financing schemes.

HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank.
Photo: Getty Images By Harry Wilson, and Jonathan Russell11:30PM GMT 16

Feb 2012 Vincent Walsh, 50, until recently a director of Royal Bank of Scotland's UK equities business, Jason Edinburgh, 45, a senior equities trader at RBS, and Michael Elsom, 45, a senior trader at broking firm Marex Spectron, were among the men arrested last Wednesday in a series of raids resulting from an HM Revenue & Customs investigation into claims of tax fraud.
The three men remain on the staff of their employers, but are understood to be on leave. None of the men have been charged with any crime. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Law firm Kingsley Napley, which defended rogue trader Nick Leeson, has been hired by some of the individuals arrested last week.
Companies House documents named Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh and Mr Elsom as members of a partnership called Edinburgh & Walsh, which was dissolved It was revealed at the weekend that four current RBS employees and one former staff member of the bank are among the 16 individuals arrested as part of the HMRC investigation.
The investigation is understood to centre on claims that City bankers have been illegally using film finance schemes to evade UK taxes. Film investment schemes were in the past a common way to claim tax relief. UK taxpayers had been allowed to claim statutory tax relief by investing in a film production, or to invest directly in a film and then write down the value of the investment to nothing.
In a statement at the weekend HMRC said: "As a result of an ongoing investigation into tax-related criminal offences HMRC has arrested a number of people, some of whom work for UK banks. This investigation relates to the actions of the people arrested in relation to their own financial affairs and is not connected to the business activities of the banks." A spokesman for RBS declined to comment for this article.
The bank said at the weekend: "We are not commenting at this time and are co-operating with the authorities." Marex in a statement said: "The matter in question has nothing to do with the company. In line with company policy we will not be commenting on employees' personal circumstances." Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh, and Mr Elsom were not available for comment.

The Celtic connection HMRC are looking at them. Some of them are on Code 9 enquiries. As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them.[

I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated[/B]
I hope this is better.

robert11s
Senior bankers caught up in film investment tax probe Three senior investment bankers have emerged as being among the 16 individuals arrested last week as part of an investigation into allegations of tax evasion involving film financing schemes.

HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Photo: Getty Images By Harry Wilson, and Jonathan Russell11:30PM GMT 16 Feb 2012 Vincent Walsh, 50, until recently a director of Royal Bank of Scotland's UK equities business, Jason Edinburgh, 45, a senior equities trader at RBS, and Michael Elsom, 45, a senior trader at broking firm Marex Spectron, were among the men arrested last Wednesday in a series of raids resulting from an HM Revenue & Customs investigation into claims of tax fraud.

The three men remain on the staff of their employers, but are understood to be on leave. None of the men have been charged with any crime. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank.

Law firm Kingsley Napley, which defended rogue trader Nick Leeson, has been hired by some of the individuals arrested last week. Companies House documents named Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh and Mr Elsom as members of a partnership called Edinburgh & Walsh, which was dissolved It was revealed at the weekend that four current RBS employees and one former staff member of the bank are among the 16 individuals arrested as part of the HMRC investigation.

The investigation is understood to centre on claims that City bankers have been illegally using film finance schemes to evade UK taxes. Film investment schemes were in the past a common way to claim tax relief. UK taxpayers had been allowed to claim statutory tax relief by investing in a film production, or to invest directly in a film and then write down the value of the investment to nothing.

In a statement at the weekend HMRC said: "As a result of an ongoing investigation into tax-related criminal offences HMRC has arrested a number of people, some of whom work for UK banks. This investigation relates to the actions of the people arrested in relation to their own financial affairs and is not connected to the business activities of the banks." A spokesman for RBS declined to comment for this article. The bank said at the weekend: "We are not commenting at this time and are co-operating with the authorities." Marex in a statement said: "The matter in question has nothing to do with the company. In line with company policy we will not be commenting on employees' personal circumstances." Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh, and Mr Elsom were not available for comment.

(and possibly the part the OP added)

The Celtic connection HMRC are looking at them. Some of them are on Code 9 enquiries. As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated

Tried to quickly set it out better for the OP

gers11
26-07-2012, 17:06
It appears that the bubble's about to burst big time?

Drumclog Bear
26-07-2012, 17:06
original article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financial-crime/9086930/Senior-bankers-caught-up-in-film-investment-tax-probe.html

Jorg Albertz11
26-07-2012, 17:07
My mate is no accountant but he does have some very creditable mates, I couldn't tell you who wrote that paragraph but il ask him when he finishes work tonight.
Can you shed any light on any of this?

andybear
26-07-2012, 17:08

HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank.

Photo: Getty Images By Harry Wilson, and Jonathan Russell11:30PM GMT 16 Feb 2012 Vincent Walsh, 50, until recently a director of Royal Bank of Scotland's UK equities business, Jason Edinburgh, 45, a senior equities trader at RBS, and Michael Elsom, 45, a senior trader at broking firm Marex Spectron, were among the men arrested last Wednesday in a series of raids resulting from an HM Revenue & Customs investigation into claims of tax fraud. The three men remain on the staff of their employers, but are understood to be on leave. None of the men have been charged with any crime.

HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Law firm Kingsley Napley, which defended rogue trader Nick Leeson, has been hired by some of the individuals arrested last week.

Companies House documents named Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh and Mr Elsom as members of a partnership called Edinburgh & Walsh, which was dissolved It was revealed at the weekend that four current RBS employees and one former staff member of the bank are among the 16 individuals arrested as part of the HMRC investigation. The investigation is understood to centre on claims that City bankers have been illegally using film finance schemes to evade UK taxes. Film investment schemes were in the past a common way to claim tax relief. UK taxpayers had been allowed to claim statutory tax relief by investing in a film production, or to invest directly in a film and then write down the value of the investment to nothing.

In a statement at the weekend HMRC said: "As a result of an ongoing investigation into tax-related criminal offences HMRC has arrested a number of people, some of whom work for UK banks. This investigation relates to the actions of the people arrested in relation to their own financial affairs and is not connected to the business activities of the banks." A spokesman for RBS declined to comment for this article.

The bank said at the weekend: "We are not commenting at this time and are co-operating with the authorities." Marex in a statement said: "The matter in question has nothing to do with the company. In line with company policy we will not be commenting on employees' personal circumstances." Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh, and Mr Elsom were not available for comment. The Celtic connection HMRC are looking at them. Some of them are on Code 9 enquiries. As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated

Im On my phone too so apologies for any mistakes.

flootbon
26-07-2012, 17:09
It's to do with Celtic's tax case.

I think Lawwell and Riley are involved in it, but as individuals, not as part of the club's scheme.

colinstein
26-07-2012, 17:10
there's no doubt Lennon, Riley and Lawell were "investors" in these schemes............it's been on here before

GimmeShelter
26-07-2012, 17:11
Right, who wants to kick off the Celtic Tax Case blog?

How I would love there to be something in this.

Jorg Albertz11
26-07-2012, 17:13
who said the part below? your mate?

As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated

My mate is no accountant but he does have some creditable mates, I couldn't tell you who wrote that paragraph , I believe what I posted has been forwarded on to a few people. Can you shed any light on this?

govanfrnt-f
26-07-2012, 17:18
Could this be why RTC suddenly became more engrossed in the double contract aspect rather than the use of EBTs? Liewell may of just redirected them in the knowledge going down that road might come back to bite them. Just a thought!

gazzabear
26-07-2012, 17:22
Is this not the same stuff we've known about for ages, they use personal investment (not through the club) for tax dodging. A judge rules the companies were made for tax dodging purposes therefore illegal.

griegmiester
26-07-2012, 17:24
Considering Celtic wouldn't have paid Bellamy directly as he was on loan, it's either crap or an bunch of individuals involved in a scheme which wasn't setup up by Scumtic, which means that it's nothing to do with them as club and the issue of the individuals named.

gerstilidie
26-07-2012, 17:24
People in glass houses,

white owl
26-07-2012, 17:32
except, can you be a director, if you have a criminal record

billyonthewall
26-07-2012, 17:34
Liewell must remove himself from the sfa board until the investigation is over.....one would think????

shawsrfc
26-07-2012, 17:37
My mate is no accountant but he does have some creditable mates, I couldn't tell you who wrote that paragraph , I believe what I posted has been forwarded on to a few people. Can you shed any light on this?

can we get anyone to investigate this ?

blueboy1010
26-07-2012, 18:04
Senior bankers caught up in film investment tax probe Three senior investment bankers have emerged as being among the 16 individuals arrested last week as part of an investigation into allegations of tax evasion involving film financing schemes. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Photo: Getty Images By Harry Wilson, and Jonathan Russell11:30PM GMT 16 Feb 2012 Vincent Walsh, 50, until recently a director of Royal Bank of Scotland's UK equities business, Jason Edinburgh, 45, a senior equities trader at RBS, and Michael Elsom, 45, a senior trader at broking firm Marex Spectron, were among the men arrested last Wednesday in a series of raids resulting from an HM Revenue & Customs investigation into claims of tax fraud. The three men remain on the staff of their employers, but are understood to be on leave. None of the men have been charged with any crime. HMRC officials last week searched RBS's London offices as part of the investigation, though the allegations of criminal behaviour are not linked in any way to the men's work for the taxpayer-backed bank. Law firm Kingsley Napley, which defended rogue trader Nick Leeson, has been hired by some of the individuals arrested last week. Companies House documents named Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh and Mr Elsom as members of a partnership called Edinburgh & Walsh, which was dissolved It was revealed at the weekend that four current RBS employees and one former staff member of the bank are among the 16 individuals arrested as part of the HMRC investigation. The investigation is understood to centre on claims that City bankers have been illegally using film finance schemes to evade UK taxes. Film investment schemes were in the past a common way to claim tax relief. UK taxpayers had been allowed to claim statutory tax relief by investing in a film production, or to invest directly in a film and then write down the value of the investment to nothing. In a statement at the weekend HMRC said: "As a result of an ongoing investigation into tax-related criminal offences HMRC has arrested a number of people, some of whom work for UK banks. This investigation relates to the actions of the people arrested in relation to their own financial affairs and is not connected to the business activities of the banks." A spokesman for RBS declined to comment for this article. The bank said at the weekend: "We are not commenting at this time and are co-operating with the authorities." Marex in a statement said: "The matter in question has nothing to do with the company. In line with company policy we will not be commenting on employees' personal circumstances." Mr Walsh, Mr Edinburgh, and Mr Elsom were not available for comment. The Celtic connection HMRC are looking at them. Some of them are on Code 9 enquiries. As an accountant, I get lots of people trying to get me to sell these schemes to out clients. We also get some clients who move to us after getting hit with large tax bills from being sold them by previous accountants. I always tell people to avoid them. I believe Peter Lawell and Eric Riley both on the board of Celtc and the S.F.A. were complicit in these arrangements. also their now manager, N. Lennon, ex manager M. O'Neil,and ex players, J. Hartson, Chris Sutton. M. Sylla, J. Mjalby, A.Thompsn,S.Varga, C.Bellamy. Are amongst those being investigated
Brilliant I knew there had to be something involving the scum in fraud,hopefully this is the beginning. Can you send this to the English press, say for example The Telegraph,Guardian The Times they would love a story on tax evasion? Well done mate keep your pal digging there must be more.

nemessis
26-07-2012, 19:00
Brilliant I knew there had to be something involving the scum in fraud,hopefully this is the beginning. Can you send this to the English press, say for example The Telegraph,Guardian The Times they would love a story on tax evasion? Well done mate keep your pal digging there must be more.

here's a link http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/contact_us/default.stm

macdonsj
26-07-2012, 19:38
Considering Celtic wouldn't have paid Bellamy directly as he was on loan, it's either crap or an bunch of individuals involved in a scheme which wasn't setup up by Scumtic, which means that it's nothing to do with them as club and the issue of the individuals named.

what rules out Bellamy being paid by Celtic?
surely its down to the individual deal between the clubs

and does the fact that so many Celtic employees & directors from team, management and boardroom (not exactly the type to mix together and discuss taax avoidance) - not point to an orchestrated club scheme to maximise return for people?

chubbybrown
26-07-2012, 19:51
i was told that o'neill had to pay 250k to hmrc for his tax avoidance