PDA

View Full Version : Should Rangers players play for team G.B.

wotty
22-10-2011, 11:06
Any body in same frame of mind as me.Would love to see our players in team G.B. Mainly to stick two fingers up to S.P.L. and S.F.A.and all the other Rangers haters in the media.

giantchelsea
22-10-2011, 11:07
Of course they should.

..Obi-Wan..
22-10-2011, 11:08
Donno, but cannae wait to see the strip.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 11:08
not for me
does this not clash with the start of our season?

frankieboy
22-10-2011, 11:09
No way,if the english want it,let them have it,an english manager for both male and female teams,we can see what will happen here.

LanarkshireBlue
22-10-2011, 11:09
If they wish to do so I'd support them.

Torque87
22-10-2011, 11:11
I'd enjoy seeing some of our younger players in the squad, would be a fantastic experience and could only benefit us.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:11
Of course they should.

So Rangers players should make themselves unavailable at a time of the season where we'llface vital European qualifiers in order to play in an under 23 tournament for a nation that in football terms, is completely made up?

Great idea. Any Rangers player who plats for Team GB should be sold.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 11:12
I take it everyone saying yes gave Craig Moore their full backing when he done it?

No?

Thought not

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:14
aye, its would be great to own an olympic gold.

And yip, i did think craig moore was right to go before the abuse starts.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:15

The club caltain should not have put an under 23 tournament ahead of his employer's European ambitions.

georgesky01
22-10-2011, 11:16
not for me

thebovril82
22-10-2011, 11:16

The idea of a rangers plater, plating in team GB or wanting to plat for team GB winds me up!!! They should only plat for Scotland. Why would they want to plat for a made-up nation??? It's political madness gone correct.

:D

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 11:18

well could i politely suggest that you as well as Moore shoud have got their priorities right

the olympics ffs:D

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:19
The club caltain should not have put an under 23 tournament ahead of his employer's European ambitions.

i understand that, if fifa and uefa sanction olympic teams then their tourneys should be arranged not to clash, i still say an olympic gold is something to be very proud of and if your not in it you cant win it. And yip, id be the first to moan if we lost players to it, im two faced i guess, but the lure o the gold takes it for me.

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:20
well could i politely suggest that you as well as Moore shoud have got their priorities right

the olympics ffs:D

most of the support hated moore anyway :D
another thing i have in common with him ;)

smiles
22-10-2011, 11:21
No, no, and never. Playing for the pseudo English team will be the thin end of the wedge towards the end of a Scotland team. A day I never want to see.

And what the hell is Team GB? Shouldn't it be Team UK since it includes Northern Ireland? A name and concept dreamt up by politicians who know nothing about football

g5amo
22-10-2011, 11:21
Any body in same frame of mind as me.Would love to see our players in team G.B. Mainly to stick two fingers up to S.P.L. and S.F.A.and all the other Rangers haters in the media.

Agreed Wotty - but this indeed clashes with the start of our season. We will have an uphill struggle to reach the CL and that must take priority. I don't think the English will miss us took much tbh.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:25

Brilliant. We should stick two fingers up to the SPL by sanctioning the weakening of our squad for our opening fixtures.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 11:28
Brilliant. We should stick two fingers up to the SPL by sanctioning the weakening of our squad for our opening fixtures.

yep that will teach them to mess with us;)

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:28

whats the dates mate, if im being honest i never really paid much attention, is it just euro qualifiers or does it take in the start of the season. If it does its crazy all round.

doc holliday
22-10-2011, 11:29
We are all British and very proud of that fact..Why would we NOT want to play for TEAMGB????????

This will stir the imagination and hopefully TEAMGB will do well.

KPL
22-10-2011, 11:31
I think it would be quite good for the U23s in the team. Ness,fleck, Hutton & wylde etc.

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 11:32
No.

Craig Moore was an arsehole for doing it.

I want Rangers players for Rangers only.

LiviBear2
No different from asking if any Scottish athletes should take part in Team GB.

alcolusa
We are all British and very proud of that fact..Why would we NOT want to play for TEAMGB????????

This will stir the imagination and hopefully TEAMGB will do well.

Because it clashes with Rangers games

bearger2004
22-10-2011, 11:33
Why would any player want to play in this mickey mouse competition? A team for mostly under 23's in which the best under 23's will not be playing against another countries team without their best under 23's.

campsie
No.

Craig Moore was an arsehole for doing it.

I want Rangers players for Rangers only.

not going to happen, im quite glad we have a few international players, a few have helped keep us up top.

alcolusa

it is completely different

ozbluenose
Not if it clashes with our fixtures.

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 11:34

Do athletes have club commitments that it clashes with?

Willie Woodburn
22-10-2011, 11:34
I'm in, 100%. And not just because it will upset timothy.

22tohampden
22-10-2011, 11:35
I was no but now im yes. My patriotism is on the wan as i watch scottish institutions (BBC, Government) treat Rangers and Rangers fans unequally compared to others. Bring on team GB- im going to the Olympic football anyway as i got tickets!

FernandoTorres
22-10-2011, 11:36
If they are picked then yes they should.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for any British person and they should be delighted if their selected.

**** the SFA and the Tranny Army.

blair_omnibus
not going to happen, im quite glad we have a few international players, a few have helped keep us up top.

Obviously it's not goin to happen but adding another needless distraction is avoidable.

Arveladzes Shuffle
We will be involved in CL qualifiers at the time.

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:37

we lose our american guys whenever they play in tourneys, i agree that they shouldnt clash, so im nearly changing my mind, i agree with a team GB but if it clashes then id rather we had no players involved. But still say an olympic gold is up with the best.

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 11:38
we lose our american guys whenever they play in tourneys, i agree that they shouldnt clash, so im nearly changing my mind, i agree with a team GB but if it clashes then id rather we had no players involved. But still say an olympic gold is up with the best.

It's nowhere near up with the the best.

It's a youth tournament for a start.

CardendenGer
22-10-2011, 11:38
If I were a young player given the chance to play at the Olympic I would jump at the chance. So I would support any Rangers players and urge the S.F.A,I.F.A and W.F.A to allow their players to play for team G.B

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:39
whats the dates mate, if im being honest i never really paid much attention, is it just euro qualifiers or does it take in the start of the season. If it does its crazy all round.

Start of August. Slap bang in the middle of Champions League qualifiers and the start of the SPL season.

But hey, let's "get it up Timmy" by allowing our players to play in a meaningless international tournament whilst simultaneously weakening our squad. The amount of idiocy on this thread is staggering.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:39

No we don't.

shooders
22-10-2011, 11:40
cant wait to see the strip ,,

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 11:40

No we don't. When did that start?

Sam_English
22-10-2011, 11:41
I don't see why they shouldn't play team GB

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 11:41

who won the last 2 olympic golds in football

without googling?

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:42
Start of August. Slap bang in the middle of Champions League qualifiers and the start of the SPL season.

But hey, let's "get it up Timmy" by allowing our players to play in a meaningless international tournament whilst simultaneously weakening our squad. The amount of idiocy on this thread is staggering.

ouch :o
i dont give a monkies about the tims in any shape or form.
A gold is a gold, ok im out, it clashes with our games so no first team player should go, fc ukn hell have i backed down here;)

Arveladzes Shuffle
22-10-2011, 11:43

Ofcourse it is, the dates for a footballer clash with his club side. That aint going to happen for athletes.

ger4life
22-10-2011, 11:44
once in a life time moment, they should play...........if they even get picked

campsie
22-10-2011, 11:45
who won the last 2 olympic golds in football

without googling?

fc uk knows :D
im not an athlete, im just saying, its a great thing to have, anyway i changed ma mind in above post, ive been away from follow follow most o the year, im not as sharp as i should be ;)

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 11:45
once in a life time moment, they should play...........if they even get picked

No they shouldn't. Rangers should end all this nonsense by saying that their players will not be accepting any call up for "Team GB."

bluebombe
22-10-2011, 11:58
If a GB olympic team force the issue for a GB international team and this is the home nations big fear i would be all for it because surely a british league would follow. Come on Rangers big push for team GB.

johngardiner100
22-10-2011, 12:03
If they want to then yeah why not. I don't have a problem with that I'll be watching the football and if there some of our guys playing in it then it would make it more interesting. The only issue is the sfa sticking to there stance and denying anyone who wants to take part which I think is selfish to say the least.

Arveladzes Shuffle
22-10-2011, 12:05
Try it another way, Who thinks our 3 Americans should go and play for the US of A at the olympics, and of Matt McKay going to play for Oz.

Not many i would hazard a guess.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 12:06
If they want to then yeah why not. I don't have a problem with that I'll be watching the football and if there some of our guys playing in it then it would make it more interesting. The only issue is the sfa sticking to there stance and denying anyone who wants to take part which I think is selfish to say the least.

"the only issue"

So you are not to bothered about the "issue" of Rangers players being unavailable for playing for ... you know ...Rangers?

as long as it gives you an interest though eh

22tohampden
22-10-2011, 12:07
We need a poll on this! How do you do that?

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 12:08
We need a poll on this! How do you do that?

a) folk who put Rangers first
b) those that dont

simples

JammiesBear
22-10-2011, 12:09
I'm all for scots playing in Team GB. Just not ones who are vital to our ambitions:D

Lewis Loyal
22-10-2011, 12:12

Scottish athletes won't be playing in the Spl a couple of weeks later though. Let the English get on with it, although Epl managers are now starting to moan about it as well. It's far too dangerous in terms of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales losing their International status.

dna1
22-10-2011, 12:30
you better believe they should

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 12:35
So Rangers players should make themselves unavailable at a time of the season where we'llface vital European qualifiers in order to play in an under 23 tournament for a nation that in football terms, is completely made up?

Please do us all favour and dont dress up your anti-english hatred by "concern" about RFC.

Phant1873
22-10-2011, 12:35
Olympic football :doh:

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 12:39
No they shouldn't. Rangers should end all this nonsense by saying that their players will not be accepting any call up for "Team GB."

Thankfully our manager see's this for what it is which is a fantastic opportunity for players to "represent their country" (his words) at the BIGGEST sporting event bar none.

This from a man who quite rightly gave his ALL in a Scotland jersey but recognises his britishness too.

God Bless The Papac
22-10-2011, 12:40
Aslong as it didn't clash with any Rangers games then definately. Sure it starts during the season though.

johngardiner100
22-10-2011, 12:47
"the only issue"

So you are not to bothered about the "issue" of Rangers players being unavailable for playing for ... you know ...Rangers?

as long as it gives you an interest though eh

The ones who will be selected have to be under 23 bar a couple of allowances who are likely to be beckham and giggs. So if we are going by the rule of them selecting players who are under 23 and playing currently in our first team you are looking at wlyde. After that it will be perry, Macmillan , Fleck and Ness if fit. At this point wlyde is a regular starter for us and he can be covered for just as we have done in the past like when boggie went to the African nations. It also gives them more experience at tournament level. If as you say all these players are in our starting line up at the start of nxt season and it is detrimental to us then of course I would want them to stay and push on to 5 in a row.

Jim Baxter is legend
22-10-2011, 12:55

I do not to see a GB tem
I do not want to see football in the Olynpics
I do not want to see Scottish players represent GB

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 12:56
The ones who will be selected have to be under 23 bar a couple of allowances who are likely to be beckham and giggs. So if we are going by the rule of them selecting players who are under 23 and playing currently in our first team you are looking at wlyde. After that it will be perry, Macmillan , Fleck and Ness if fit. At this point wlyde is a regular starter for us and he can be covered for just as we have done in the past like when boggie went to the African nations. It also gives them more experience at tournament level. If as you say all these players are in our starting line up at the start of nxt season and it is detrimental to us then of course I would want them to stay and push on to 5 in a row.

the fact that Beckham and Giggs are likely to be the overage players shows the whole thing up for what it is - a complete waste of time and nothing more than a PR exercise

If it was during pre/close -season i would maybe be happier but for Rangers players to miss vital league and European games for this - complete nonsense

and as i asked earlier in the thread i take it you gave Craig Moore your complete backing when he done it?

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 12:57
Please do us all favour and dont dress up your anti-english hatred by "concern" about RFC.

Anti-English?

All reasoning against the GB team is pro-Rangers in this thread.

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 12:58
Thankfully our manager see's this for what it is which is a fantastic opportunity for players to "represent their country" (his words) at the BIGGEST sporting event bar none.

This from a man who quite rightly gave his ALL in a Scotland jersey but recognises his britishness too.

Olympic football is an amatuer tournament.

weejohn 8
22-10-2011, 13:00
If the players want to play then yes no problem for me. If they don't want to play for whatever reason then that is fine also. It should be their personal choice.

Don't like the fact that an incompetent buffoon like Stuart Pearce will be the manager but i'll be backing the team hopefully with a few Scottish players in the line-up

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 13:01

Football's biggest sporting event is the World Cup.

And how exactly is anything I've said in this thread anti-English?

Londonblue
22-10-2011, 13:02
Yes ! :roll:

:)

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 13:04
If the players want to play then yes no problem for me. If they don't want to play for whatever reason then that is fine also. It should be their personal choice.

Don't like the fact that an incompetent buffoon like Stuart Pearce will be the manager but i'll be backing the team hopefully with a few Scottish players in the line-up

see where you work, are they quite happy for you to go off and work for another company,keep paying your wages and get someone else to cover the work you should be doing?

why do you think Rangers should be doing this?

paulah
22-10-2011, 13:12
I would say NO.

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 13:13
Anti-English?

All reasoning against the GB team is pro-Rangers in this thread.

Did you actually read my post? I state that the poster in question is simply hiding his anti-english bile behind some faux concern about RFC.

I have had numerous debates with the poster I was referring to and he has never hidden his hatred of all things GB.

crimson tide
22-10-2011, 13:15
A yes from me:)

crowthornebear
22-10-2011, 13:27
British and Proud that what we are as a club and support, therefore why would we not want a player to play for a GB team in the Olympics

WATP

Phant1873
22-10-2011, 13:29
I would say NO.

But they'll get to wear a lovely team GB kit and everything...

johngardiner100
22-10-2011, 13:31
the fact that Beckham and Giggs are likely to be the overage players shows the whole thing up for what it is - a complete waste of time and nothing more than a PR exercise

If it was during pre/close -season i would maybe be happier but for Rangers players to miss vital league and European games for this - complete nonsense

and as i asked earlier in the thread i take it you gave Craig Moore your complete backing when he done it?

What I'm saying is the players likely to be selected from our side have rarely played for us this year. We were looking to put fleck out on loan at the start of the season, Perry came in for cover and Jordan Macmillan is unfortunately hardly getting a look in at the moment which I find a crime. Ness is injured and at the moment the trend seems to continue until the boy develops more. I can see your point about them being away for league/European games but as it stands just now these boys are warming a bench most weekends and the only game time they are getting is bounce games at Murray park or friendly's like tuesday night. If the gb side gives them the oppertunity's to play develop and come back to us gaining experience in playing in tournament football which in the long run benefits us instead of them staying stagnant on the bench then yes I would like to see our club represented through these players. On the Moore question I can't remember the circumstances but if you remind me I'll try and give you an answer.

Cooperfan
22-10-2011, 13:35
No one will want to lose their players. From the players point of view it would be great. However Rangers will have crucial qualifiers so it's unlikely to happen.

Bartley probably won't be at the club then so we may have an interest should he make the squad.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 13:36
What I'm saying is the players likely to be selected from our side have rarely played for us this year. We were looking to put fleck out on loan at the start of the season, Perry came in for cover and Jordan Macmillan is unfortunately hardly getting a look in at the moment which I find a crime. Ness is injured and at the moment the trend seems to continue until the boy develops more. I can see your point about them being away for league/European games but as it stands just now these boys are warming a bench most weekends and the only game time they are getting is bounce games at Murray park or friendly's like tuesday night. If the gb side gives them the oppertunity's to play develop and come back to us gaining experience in playing in tournament football which in the long run benefits us instead of them staying stagnant on the bench then yes I would like to see our club represented through these players. On the Moore question I can't remember the circumstances but if you remind me I'll try and give you an answer.

there werent any circumstances

he chose to play in the Olympics rather than play for the club who pays his wages in a champions league qualifier

he should have been sacked

bearger2004
22-10-2011, 13:37

Nobody would deny that the Olympics are the biggest sporting event. But the football competition is so far away from being the best football competition that it is correct to say it's a
Mickey mouse event.

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 13:37
Did you actually read my post? I state that the poster in question is simply hiding his anti-english bile behind some faux concern about RFC.

I have had numerous debates with the poster I was referring to and he has never hidden his hatred of all things GB.

You should probably stick to the context of reasoning on this thread instead of whining about petty grudges.

I'd question what folk want best for Rangers if they want our players to play for GB ahead of us.

Arveladzes Shuffle
22-10-2011, 13:38

If there not getting a game for us as you say, why on earth would they get picked for the GB team as he has players from the whole of the UK to pick from.

johngardiner100
22-10-2011, 13:45
there werent any circumstances

he chose to play in the Olympics rather than play for the club who pays his wages in a champions league qualifier

he should have been sacked

In that circumstance where he was a regular then yes I agree with your point, but my point is that these boys are not regulars so let them play football and represent us on a world stage.

wotty
22-10-2011, 13:50
If a GB olympic team force the issue for a GB international team and this is the home nations big fear i would be all for it because surely a british league would follow. Come on Rangers big push for team GB.
Never thought of it that way ,even more reason for playing.

TheBluesBrothers
22-10-2011, 13:51
No, Craig Moore was hounded for doing the same thing.

johngardiner100
22-10-2011, 13:53
If there not getting a game for us as you say, why on earth would they get picked for the GB team as he has players from the whole of the UK to pick from.

If Scottish players are aloud to be selected then players from the under 21's will be looked at. From this they will be assesed and selected from here. All I'm doing is saying is I would like to see our club represented and am highlighting what players would be available under the rules. If they not playing regularly then they won't be selected and we won't have an issue. I would like to see rangers represented in a British side at the Olympics an these are the players that at this time can represent us.

oracularspectacular
22-10-2011, 13:54
would it not be quite hypocritical of us wanting players to play for the GB team giving the opinions when Moore played for the aussies?

Big BlueBear
22-10-2011, 13:58
No, Stuart Pearce is a ****, and I don't want any players involved in this FA test case to see if Pearce has the potential to be the future England manager.

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 13:59
You should probably stick to the context of reasoning on this thread instead of whining about petty grudges.

I'd question what folk want best for Rangers if they want our players to play for GB ahead of us.

Petty grudges? Youve lost me there. :confused:

His attitude to all things GB never mind football, have a direct correlation to his stance on this. They simply cant be separated.

If its OK by you I'll continue to challenge him and his Cybernat cohorts in ANY thread and ANY post i choose.

Secondly I never anywhere said I wanted them to play but Im adamant they should be given right to should they choose. Goodness knows the amount of vitriol they will get from Rangers haters out there, hence my own belief that I'll stand behind any player that chooses to take that opportunity. Just like our manager.

Sandy Clark
22-10-2011, 14:00
would it not be quite hypocritical of us wanting players to play for the GB team giving the opinions when Moore played for the aussies?

Yes, and for those using the argument that Moore missed a Champions League game, then if and it's a big if, any Rangers player selected would also miss the start of the Champions League campaign. So that blows their theory right of the window.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 14:02

His attitude to all things GB never mind football, have a direct correlation to his stance on this. They simply cant be separated.

If its OK by you I'll continue to challenge him and his Cybernat cohorts in ANY thread and ANY post i choose.

Secondly I never anywhere said I wanted them to play but Im adamant they should be given right to should they choose. Goodness knows the amount of vitriol they will get from Rangers haters out there, hence my own belief that I'll stand behind any player that chooses to take that opportunity. Just like our manager.

Did you apply the same rational when Craig Moore chose to represent Australia rather than play for Rangers in a Champions league qualifier

Did you give Moore your full support?

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 14:06
Did you apply the same rational when Craig Moore chose to represent Australia rather than play for Rangers in a Champions league qualifier

What do you reckon?

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 14:08
What do you reckon?

i am guessing no

but you never know seeing as how its the biggest sporting event in the world apparently

alexthekid.watp
22-10-2011, 14:26
I wouldn't mind to be honest would be good to see team they select

jimmyhm
22-10-2011, 14:27

Aye just run off and commit football suicide. Great idea...not.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 14:32
British and Proud that what we are as a club and support, therefore why would we not want a player to play for a GB team in the Olympics

WATP

Because it means we lose the player for vital.CL qjalifiers and league games.

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 14:33

Quite what my political beliefs have to do with not wanting to lose our players for vital early season games to play in an utterly irrelevant youth tournament is beyond me, but you carry on if it makes you feel better.

MrBishnakov
22-10-2011, 14:37
Seen the new kit. It's minted. Got a leaflet with FM2012 but cant find it. Its navy blue with british symbols in the fabric. Gareth Bale is modelling it. Really need to find it now.

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 14:41
Quite what my political beliefs have to do with not wanting to lose our players for vital early season games to play in an utterly irrelevant youth tournament is beyond me, but you carry on if it makes you feel better.

Dont you worry. I will.;)

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 14:43
Dont you worry. I will.;)

do we have an answer for post 92 yet?

MrBishnakov
22-10-2011, 14:46
Think this is it ;)

http://oi54.tinypic.com/xonx1e.jpg

Dougie Gray
22-10-2011, 14:52

I did actually and so did the people who run/ran our club.

Just as I/they do now on this debate.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 14:58

Thats funny i seem to remember Mcleish being pissed off , stripping him of the captaincy, dropping him and then Moore leaving on a free transfer a few months later:confused:

strange how we remember things differently eh?

blair_omnibus
22-10-2011, 15:00

The people who ran our club? Really?

GLASGOW, July 8 (Reuters) - Rangers have put captain Craig Moore on the transfer list after the Australian defender opted to play at next month's Olympics instead of leading the Glasgow club's Champions League qualifying campaign.

"Both myself and Craig had a discussion regarding his current situation at Ibrox and his desire to play for his country in the forthcoming Olympics," manager Alex McLeish said in a statement on Thursday.

"Each of us have our own objectives and I have decided to appoint a new captain for season 2004/05 which I will announce imminently with such important matches at the start of our season.

"The club will now make Craig available for transfer at the correct fee."

The 28-year-old will miss several Scottish premier league matches in August to feature as one of three over-age players for his country at the under-23 soccer tournament in Athens.

Rangers also need to negotiate the final round of qualifiers to reach the Champions League group stages.

Moore has spent 10 of his last 11 years as a professional at Rangers. He rejoined them in 1999 after seven months at Crystal Palace and is now likely to miss out on a testimonial.

Moore missed the last four months of last season with a knee injury and was entering the final year of his contract at Ibrox.

He was part of the squad that equalled Glasgow rivals Celtic's nine successive Scottish titles in 1997 and also helped them win their seventh treble of league, League Cup and Scottish Cup in 2003.

Try again.

hagi bear
22-10-2011, 15:03

By stripping him of the captaincy and putting him on the transfer list?

GingerFurball
22-10-2011, 15:04

Stripping Moore of the captaincy and placing him on the transfer list was an awfully funny way of Alex McLeish showing his support. Maybe it was just bad man management on McLeish's part.

alcolusa
22-10-2011, 15:15

"its all gone quiet over there
oh its all gone quiet over there
oh its all gone quiet , all gone quiet , all gone quiet over there":)

de_bear
22-10-2011, 15:33
I'd be willing to wager that quite a few of those wanting them to play are the same ones who moan about international football and say they couldn't give a shit about Scotland, and that the wish Rangers players didn't play for Scotland.

unbelievablewalter
22-10-2011, 15:34
i'll play in team GB quite happily

that dawning moment when i realise i'll be 24 when the olympics come around

DAMN

Lauders9
22-10-2011, 15:40
of course, i think the squad should include a number of players from all the home nations, to ensure full representation, say a minimum of three.

unbelievablewalter
22-10-2011, 15:44
We will be involved in CL qualifiers at the time.

I'd be quite upset if our team can't handle a couple of CL qualifiers against the likes of Malmo without Wylde, Ness, Hutton and 1 or two other youths that might get called up.

Let's be honest though, although they're not going to play anyone whose in the Euro 2012 english squad, the English still have the likes of

Smalling, Jones, Walker, Caulker, Henderson, Welbeck, McEachran, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Sinclair and others that probably won't make the England squad.
Not to mention of course Bale and Ramsey who'll easily displace any Scots should they choose to play.

de_bear
22-10-2011, 15:46
I'd be quite upset if our team can't handle a couple of CL qualifiers against the likes of Malmo without Wylde, Ness, Hutton and 1 or two other youths that might get called up.

Let's be honest though, although they're not going to play anyone whose in the Euro 2012 english squad, the English still have the likes of

Smalling, Jones, Walker, Caulker, Henderson, Welbeck, McEachran, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Sinclair and others that probably won't make the England squad.
Not to mention of course Bale and Ramsey who'll easily displace any Scots should they choose to play.

And what if any other players get called up by their nations, as overage players perhaps? Happy for them to go to?

Nauld2
22-10-2011, 15:49
I support our players playing in Team GB
As long as is doesn't affect our games.
Think it would be good in place age restriction though say U23,s

Arveladzes Shuffle
22-10-2011, 16:00
For all those advocating our players representation in the GB team in the olympics during our CL qualifiers.

Whit if McGregor is picked as an overage player. Joe Hart wont be picked as he will be representing England at the euro,s.

Diggerz
22-10-2011, 16:30
Depends on whether they are needed for club fixtures, if they are then it's no. If not, then they should have the choice.

millar brand
22-10-2011, 16:38
As long as it doesn't interfere with club matters there is absolutely no reason why our players shouldn't play for team GB. We are British after all.

Arveladzes Shuffle
22-10-2011, 16:44
As long as it doesn't interfere with club matters there is absolutely no reason why our players shouldn't play for team GB. We are British after all.

But it will.

bobby1873
22-10-2011, 17:08

Thats funny i seem to remember Mcleish being pissed off , stripping him of the captaincy, dropping him and then Moore leaving on a free transfer a few months later:confused:

strange how we remember things differently eh?

The people who ran our club? Really?

Try again.

By stripping him of the captaincy and putting him on the transfer list?

Stripping Moore of the captaincy and placing him on the transfer list was an awfully funny way of Alex McLeish showing his support. Maybe it was just bad man management on McLeish's part.

"its all gone quiet over there
oh its all gone quiet over there
oh its all gone quiet , all gone quiet , all gone quiet over there":)

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/g/granny_owned-12246.jpg

The "GB" bit seems to be blinding people here, as with Moore I'll be unhappy with any player who decides to play in this rather than for the Rangers! :first:

Helstead
22-10-2011, 17:38
I say no because for one this whole thing is going to be heavy sided towards the England so we are only going to get 2 slots in the team fullstop.
Then theres the situation when the team gets beat whos going to get the blame not ,it'll be the scots.
The whole thing sounds like a bad idea.

Rochsoles Loyal
22-10-2011, 17:47
defo yes, RULE BRITANNIA :union:

i just cant wait to see the strip, if half decent im defo getting it

KilwinningBluenose91
22-10-2011, 18:13
Not with an English manager cos lets face it, it is just gonna be England + maybe Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey!!!

somoslagente
22-10-2011, 18:14
if they are British nationals then of course they should!

bbear924
22-10-2011, 22:55
It might be bad timing but given that it would only affect one or two of our youth players then it is a massive yes from me.

Like has been pointed out earlier, some are hoping they can disguise their pathetic anti-English racist views by suggesting it would harm our club while the truth of the matter is they hate our strong association with the Union.

lightbluebear
22-10-2011, 22:59
If picked sure.

Cannavaro
22-10-2011, 23:04
I would say yes to the idea in general but the timing for us is terrible, would result in players missing champs league qualifiers.

The Natural
22-10-2011, 23:22
Should be the players personal choice if they are selected. Don't really mind one way or the other apart from that.

bearger2004
22-10-2011, 23:26
And another thing, what make some on here think that any Rangers players will even be considered? Oh I forgot we are THE British team.:D

mathers82
22-10-2011, 23:28
Why should any of our non english british players want to play for a guy who has in the past proclaimed to love england more than anything?
And that before the england scotland game at euro 96 couldnt even look the scottish players in the eye because he hated them so much

doesnt seem to be the best candidate for a british team

bleau
22-10-2011, 23:31
Donno, but cannae wait to see the strip.

just got cm12 a wee advert inside with gareth bale wearing it red white and blue adidas with a union jack shadow print :)

blueman14
22-10-2011, 23:34
If they choose to do so then yes.

bbear924
23-10-2011, 00:05
And another thing, what make some on here think that any Rangers players will even be considered? Oh I forgot we are THE British team.:D

I do not think you can ever forget that we are considered a British team, in fact I think you constantly fret over it.

Given that the manager has stated that he favours representation from all the home nations what other team up here has more suitable youth players than us.

Your post would not be out of place on Kerrydale or other Jacobite cesspits.

8-1
23-10-2011, 00:10
Absolutely. Last time I looked, Scotland was a constituent country of the UK.

RangersFC23
23-10-2011, 00:13
It might be bad timing but given that it would only affect one or two of our youth players then it is a massive yes from me.

Like has been pointed out earlier, some are hoping they can disguise their pathetic anti-English racist views by suggesting it would harm our club while the truth of the matter is they hate our strong association with the Union.

It could affect Bedoya, Edu, Bocanegra, McKay, Bartley, McGregor, Ness, Lafferty, Davis, Wallace, Naismith, or Wylde. There's no telling which over-aged players will be called up, especially by the UK team, since there will be a huge deal of opposition for players leaving their clubs at the same time as a political desire to have a blend from all 4 UK nations.

bbear924
23-10-2011, 00:19
Why should any of our non english british players want to play for a guy who has in the past proclaimed to love england more than anything?
And that before the england scotland game at euro 96 couldnt even look the scottish players in the eye because he hated them so much

doesnt seem to be the best candidate for a british team

A lot of maggoty opinions being expressed there. It is ovious to me that you are a person whose racist views are eating away at your insides.

doc holliday
23-10-2011, 00:23
TEAM GB...British league...YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE...think not just one move ahead BUT... two or three moves ahead..from a champion chess player.

bearger2004
23-10-2011, 00:24
TEAM GB...British league...YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE...think not just one move ahead BUT... two or three moves ahead..from a champion chess player.

You are in dreamland.

doc holliday
23-10-2011, 00:26
bearger ....you play draughts or is it ludo...badly... obviously

23-10-2011, 00:30
It was a few years ago now, but I don't remember too many posters on here supporting our captain Craig Moore when he elected to miss Champions League qualifiers to play for his country in the Athens Olympics, which he got sacked for as a result.

I was all for Team GB, but with the appointment of the England U-21 managers for both the mens and womens teams, it is clear that this will be team England, not Team Great Britain. The Scots can't complain, considering the SFA and Welsh FA opposed the team participating. In truth the tournament will be a sideshow, Team England will get eliminated in the group stages (probably on penalties) and even club fans in England will object to their club's players missing vital club matches to play in this mickey mouse tournament. I feel our players should be allowed to make their own decisions, and we should be allowed to postpone matches if 3 players are missing, though how this works for CL qualifiers I don't know. Hopefully we will automatically qualify for the group stages anyway. But anybody who supports Team GB, who also criticised Craig Moore for playing for Team Australia, is a hypocrite.

doc holliday
23-10-2011, 00:30
Rangers at most will have 1 or 2 young players involved..and that is being optimistic.But kitted out in their red,blue and white strip and doing well in the tournament...will I watch it..you betcha..will I buy the top ..yes indeedee

wotty
23-10-2011, 00:35
Really do not understand some of our supporters.We are British and live in Scotland,which i am very proud of, as long as this dose not interfere with our games remember this is under 23 Go for it . G.S.O.Q.

LiviBear2
23-10-2011, 00:44

Ofcourse it is, the dates for a footballer clash with his club side. That aint going to happen for athletes.

I reckon the question was about the ethics of a Scottish athlete competing in a British Olympic team. The issue of how it would affect Rangers is seperate to this.

Scottish athletes won't be playing in the Spl a couple of weeks later though. Let the English get on with it, although Epl managers are now starting to moan about it as well. It's far too dangerous in terms of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales losing their International status.

Your first point, like those above, is more on how it would directly impact Rangers, but your second point is the relevant one.

It happens to be one we disagree on though. I don't think any one at FIFA or UEFA will give a flying one if Scot represent Team GB.

bbear924
23-10-2011, 00:51
It could affect Bedoya, Edu, Bocanegra, McKay, Bartley, McGregor, Ness, Lafferty, Davis, Wallace, Naismith, or Wylde. There's no telling which over-aged players will be called up, especially by the UK team, since there will be a huge deal of opposition for players leaving their clubs at the same time as a political desire to have a blend from all 4 UK nations.

And you think all these players are eligible to represent Team G.B.

This is a youth competition and any young Rangers player should be allowed to make up his own mind to represent his country or not. No one is being forced to play, and people like you should not be dictating to them what they can and cannot do.

If this in any way led to the possibility of Rangers playing in a British league then I would grasp it with both hands. The income we would generate there would be higher than anything we get playing at our current European level.

Divemaster
23-10-2011, 00:53
If it wasn't for the fact that we'll probably have European qualifiers, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

RangersFC23
23-10-2011, 00:58
And you think all these players are eligible to represent Team G.B.

This is a youth competition and any young Rangers player should be allowed to make up his own mind to represent his country or not. No one is being forced to play, and people like you should not be dictating to them what they can and cannot do.

If this in any way led to the possibility of Rangers playing in a British league then I would grasp it with both hands. The income we would generate there would be higher than anything we get playing at our current European level.

Team GB are not the only team in the competion. The USA have qualified already and Australia are likely to be there. Having a UK team for one Olympic tournament, or even for every Olympic games, wont make a blind bit of difference to a hypothetical British league. The EPL doesnt need us and they dont want us. It's never going to happen.

Im paying these Rangers players wages, so i want them playing for Rangers. We are under no obligation to release them for this non-FIFA competition. We will have crucial matches while the Olympics are taking place. I dont want any of our players unavailable.

bbear924
23-10-2011, 01:40
Im paying these Rangers players wages, so i want them playing for Rangers. We are under no obligation to release them for this non-FIFA competition. We will have crucial matches while the Olympics are taking place. I dont want any of our players unavailable.

I have already stated that none of our young players would be forced to play but they should be allowed to make up their own mind. I am not aware of our club saying they should not play if selected, but will stand corrected if they have. You seem to have assumed the position of head "Adjudicator" to speak on behalf of the club and it's young players.

Do you express the same opposition when our best senior Rangers players are selected to play for the Scotland team when they could suffer serious injury and be unavailable for crucial matches, or is it just the word British that irks you so much.

As for your assumption that you are paying the players wages and therefore entitled to dictate club policy is laughable.

unbelievablewalter
23-10-2011, 02:17
And what if any other players get called up by their nations, as overage players perhaps? Happy for them to go to?

yes
it's no different from teams losing players for the African Cup of Nations
i supported Bougherra fully when we lost him for it, cheered Algeria on hoping they'd reach the final, even though the further he went, the longer we were without him.
and the fact that I'm British makes it even more of a reason to support our players if they get called up

jmw1972
23-10-2011, 02:25
If they are asked yes. I find it an embarrassment to hear Craig "I'm a (unt" Brown and the SFA spout on about how they shouldn't.

Small minded racism from an apparent nation who open it's arms to all.

DelightfulDennis
23-10-2011, 02:30
A few of them have publicly said they would play. Let's see if they go through with it though. I certainly hope they do but i imagine they'll be threatened (behind the scenes) that if they do their Scotland careers will be over.

sigmund_freud
23-10-2011, 02:57
it is completely different

the closest analogy i can think of is andy goram going to play for the scottish cricket team. we'd have been going bonkers if he had done that during our season.

much as i want any gb team to do well in the olympics, rangers come 1st every time

williamstown
23-10-2011, 04:27
I dont see the problem here,not just Rangers players either they would be young and probably not involved yet in the Scotland scene,it would be a great experience for them and stand them in good stead for the future Scotland set up,the SFA need to look at the big picture here instead of shiting it about anybody wanting to tell the English and the rest of us we are no longer countries,it will never happen.

alcolusa
23-10-2011, 13:31
a lot of ill informed nonsense on this thread

"as long as it doesnt interfere with Rangers game i would be happy with it"

lets get one thing straight here - it does interfere - end off

Rangers Football club will be playing competitive games while this farce of a tournament is on and any Rangers player selected for any country will be unavailable for selection for Rangers while the tournament is in progress

It is an under 23 tournament but older players are allowed meaning EVERY Rangers player is potentially available for selection if their respective country enters a team.

I take it all those posters happy with Rangers players playing for team GB are equally happy with possibly losing players who chose to play for their own respective country

I take it all these same posters were happy when Craig Moore chose representing Australia over playing for Rangers - no - then you are a hypocrite

Rangers should nip this in the bud a ban any player from playing in this joke of a tournament

Rangers First:)

Steven_Gers
23-10-2011, 15:03
Doesnt bother me in the slightest. Dont see it happening but.

mad4rfcme
23-10-2011, 16:02
If they want to, no probs.

david91
23-10-2011, 16:05
I'd love the chance to win an Olympic gold medal and so should any player chosen for their respective side.