PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

LuckyBear
16-10-2011, 10:49
I remember when I was a laddie when Scotland beat England at Wembley and the goal posts were nicked, it was the proudest day of my life. Being at Cardiff the night Jock Stein died seeing Davie put that penalty past Southall is one of the most memorable nights of my life. I have little more than a passing interest in Scotland games now though, listening to the Tampon Army singing Doe a Dear does my box in like you cannot believe.

However, when it come to Rangers, its the opposite. I am becoming more entrenched in my support for the club and hatred for everyone else we play against. Losing that goal yesterday at the death made me feel physically sick at the time.

Anyone else feel the same? Apologies if already covered in a recent thread.

frankieboy
16-10-2011, 10:50
Still feeling sick mate,your'e not alone there

MALIGNED53
16-10-2011, 11:02
and I thought it was just me.

porty_true_blue
16-10-2011, 11:05
Really annoyed we didn't get the 3 points yesterday. It would have went a long way to deciding the title. We have 2 very tricky away ties coming up too.

bluenosebazza
16-10-2011, 11:08
Jesus man. We drew a game, nobody died. I was angry at the time, gave the door a wee kick and was fine a short while later.

sam_cooke
16-10-2011, 11:12
Sickened by the attitude of the players yesterday, Naismith in particular looked as if he'd used up all his energy midweek, playing and giving his all for a support which perhaps 80% of hate our club :(

Jelavic resembled Egil Ostenstatd out there :confused:

That game should have been approached like it was a cup final :mad:

sam_cooke
16-10-2011, 11:13
Jesus man. We drew a game, nobody died. I was angry at the time, gave the door a wee kick and was fine a short while later.

If we go onto blow the league that game will be the first most of us will think about ;)

80W
16-10-2011, 11:13
The state that mhob are in i feel it won't be long until we extend our lead over them. It was a sickner yesterday.

sam_cooke
16-10-2011, 11:14
The state that mhob are in i feel it won't be long until we extend our lead over them. It was a sickner yesterday.

The way we play at home will ensure we will drop more points as well, that yesterday was an accident waiting to happen !!

simply_the_best
16-10-2011, 11:18
Apart from the really dire teams we seem to really struggle at Ibrox and that is a worry, regularly not turning up for the first 45 will lead to problems eventually as well.

bluenosebazza
16-10-2011, 11:18
If we go onto blow the league that game will be the first most of us will think about ;)

No it won't. It'll either be the most recent dropped points or a defeat to someone like St Johnstone or Inverness. Draws like this have happened in recent seasons but we've been winning the games against the bigger teams that we would expect to be banana skins.

I'm not concerned about it, by the law of averages we were due to drop points. Win the next 2 games and the draw yesterday is virtually irrelevant.

Houlet
16-10-2011, 11:22
The England game - Television coverage all morning, replays of past games, interviews with ex plyers etc, building up to 3.00 pm kick off. Even if you didn't go to the game the atmosphere was brilliant.

Now I would not know most of the players if they were standing next to me at a bus stop. (Bears excluded)

Charlie'81
16-10-2011, 11:23
Not just you i'm the same.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to attend internationals due to some of the shite I hear people saying.

In a way it has emboldened my support of the Rangers and our defiance as a support against our prejudiced, bigoted foes.

YOGI_GER
16-10-2011, 11:41
Ruined a great day for me but I knew it would happen.

Still, couldn't hold back my feelings and went bezerk in the car, then got grief from the missus also. :mad:

Cuddles
16-10-2011, 11:44
I remember when I was a laddie when Scotland beat England at Wembley and the goal posts were nicked, it was the proudest day of my life. Being at Cardiff the night Jock Stein died seeing Davie put that penalty past Southall is one of the most memorable nights of my life. I have little more than a passing interest in Scotland games now though, listening to the Tampon Army singing Doe a Dear does my box in like you cannot believe.

However, when it come to Rangers, its the opposite. I am becoming more entrenched in my support for the club and hatred for everyone else we play against. Losing that goal yesterday at the death made me feel physically sick at the time.

Totally the same. I'm still furious now about yesterday, but when Spain scored on Tuesday, I laughed out loud.

And yet exactly as you said, 04th June 1977 was the best, most dramatic day of my young life.

I think I just grew tired of being let down by the corrupt incompetents running Scottish football.

Dalriadager
16-10-2011, 11:48
Raging at the fact McCoist put broadfoot on when we one nil up who thhen subsequently cost us the three points!

LuckyBear
16-10-2011, 11:58
What I meant by my original post is that when I was younger, I was much more into supporting Scotland, whereas now, I am pretty much ambivalent. When it comes to Rangers however, my feelings towards the are getting stronger the older I get. I was wondering if others had experienced the same.

Re feeling physically sick about losing the goal we did yesterday and also seeing those rhats get their third, its just the way I feel, I cant help it. The difference I felt at half time in their game and at full time in ours was unbelievable, not even the missus telling me she had enough comes close. Only Rangers can make me feel like that.

Anyway, glad to see other bears feeling the same!

WATP

lairdbond
16-10-2011, 12:02

It's not only you. Threading this on Sunday midday and still ****ing fizzing after yesterday's catastrophe. There are so many matters that infuriate me - complacency, arrogance, misplaced belief.

To be brutal - Rangers have one quality player (Davis) who performs at the same level every game, notwithstanding being dragged down by the mediocrity surrounding him. We have some good players - Naismith, Jelavic, Lafferty- but
I would debate with any fellow fan that there is a consistent level of performance from these three who are perceived as match winners. The mark of " Nine in a Row" team was astonishing consistency of McCall, Brown, Ferguson not to mention the truly great players Rangers had.

A cousin of mine remarked after the 4 - 2 victory over Celtic: " I could still see THIS Rangers team **** the league up. Perhaps yesterday confirmed that.

superally54
16-10-2011, 12:07
I'm a bit gutted aswell. It was a really good chance to open up a 12 point gap v them but it wasnt to be. It could be worse though, you could be a tim.

LuckyBear
16-10-2011, 12:15
I'm a bit gutted aswell. It was a really good chance to open up a 12 point gap v them but it wasnt to be. It could be worse though, you could be a tim.

Yes indeed. Cheers bud, you have just put things in perspective!!:D

Pa Bear
16-10-2011, 12:17
The big bonus is T.L.B. wont get the sack yet. We need him to stay.:)

Rex
16-10-2011, 12:18
I agree with the OP and others here. At one time Scotland meant so much to me - maybe slightly more than Rangers. In the 70's there was a sense of the country being intertwined with the club.

Now, even although am an exile and still want Scotland to win at everything, my love of the football team has gone. The reasons are a few

The downgrading and downsizing of Hampden, which was once a fantastic football theatre
The rise of nationalism and the almost Aberdonification of the Scotland support
The lack of investment in the Scottish game leading to a drop in quality of the players on offer

Yesterday I was gutted at losing the last minute goal, but such is the lack of a threat to this Rangers team that it did not unduly worry me.

I am still hurting at the manner of our European exit, because I believe we were a much better team than the 2 teams we lost to, and that still pees me off more than yesterday's debacle. All of these illustrate however, that we have a team who are capable on their day but all too often don't give their all, some players excepted.

Rex
16-10-2011, 12:26
It could be worse though, you could be a tim.

The sheer logic and optimism in this makes me realise that there is always still much to be thankful for. There is never a day goes by that I would not count my blessings regarding the fact that I am not one of those poor misfortunates. They do have a choice, but their culture and enslavement blinds them to this, and only a few escape.

bilkobear
16-10-2011, 12:26

I used to follow Scotland as did most Rangers supporters and I was at the games you mention and many more.
Nearly everyone you spoke to at the games was a Rangers man or was travelling with a group of Bears.
I will watch on television now, but I don't think I could ever stand amongst the Tartan Army.

Rangers have become more important for me than ever before, whilst I seem to like football in general less and less. :confused:
Confusing to say the least.

Draag
16-10-2011, 12:27
Remember having the debate in the eighties and it was 55% Rangers 45% Scotland ; now only passing interest in Scotland mostly to make sure our guys do not get injured and theirs do.

King William
16-10-2011, 12:31
As long as that comeback doesn't in some way galvanise the Vhermin, then I think we will go on and stretch our lead in the coming weeks, the more points we can get ahead of them before January the better as far as I'm concerned, as I believe they will strengthen the team...they need to or it will be Lhiewell feeling the heat and not TLB.

King William
16-10-2011, 12:35
With regards Scotland, I really couldn't give a flying feck how they perform, I have absolutely no interest in International football, as to me its just an annoyance that every so often comes along and interferes with Rangers fixtures.

As for the Tartan Trannies I despise every single one of the fhuds.

lesley1873
16-10-2011, 12:38
The England game - Television coverage all morning, replays of past games, interviews with ex plyers etc, building up to 3.00 pm kick off. Even if you didn't go to the game the atmosphere was brilliant.

Now I would not know most of the players if they were standing next to me at a bus stop. (Bears excluded)

I know that feeling very well

Rex
16-10-2011, 12:43
Rangers have become more important for me than ever before, whilst I seem to like football in general less and less. :confused:
Confusing to say the least.

I wondered about that. I used to love watching football all the time, now I am not a football fan, just a Rangers fan.

I can think of some reasons:

When you are younger you have the time and the passion to watch (and play) a lot of football and identify with the game in a sporting way. As you get older you get entrenched in your opinions and world view and only keep what is central from sport, and that for me is watching Rangers, with the rest irrelevant.

The game, the fans and the football experience has changed so much since I was younger. It's no longer a working man's game and the players are no longer identified with as much, there are so many foreigners because they have left the Scottish players behind (with the outmoded heavy-drinking hardman pish that is still to some extent seen as a positive stereotype in Scotland :confused:).

The matchday experience is so tightly controlled that it's hard to enjoy. Jumping about and singing in some parts of a football ground are frowned on and you risk arrest or ejection for unruly behaviour.

Sometimes I don't know if the death of football and the sheer importance of money in it has been a bad or a good thing, because it least it doesn't take up as much of my time and thoughts. Only the Rangers are central to my world view, not football, which is a bit rotten and corrupt, and no longer the beautiful game.

Rex
16-10-2011, 12:49
As long as that comeback doesn't in some way galvanise the Vhermin,

I think in the cold light of day they will still realise it was 2 dropped and they could have capitalised because of what subsequently happened at Ibrox.

Moreover, Killie had 3 good chances to score during and after their 3 goals and if any had gone in they would still have lost. They will be found out all season, and I can see Motherwell consolidating in second spot.

Given our financial predicament, to be three times champions, homing in on 4 with them in disarray in football terms, is just amazing.

It would take a Rangers collapse for them to regain any belief and not just fighting back for a barely-deserved point at Rugby Park.