PDA

View Full Version : Do we still need new signing(s) and if so for what position(s)

bayernbear
21-08-2011, 18:05
Very impressed with the team today and especially the youngsters coming in. When the new guys get their visas and players come back from injury we should have good competition for places. Is the squad as it stands strong enough to retain the title or do we still need more new faces?

kennyg_kirkieloyal
21-08-2011, 18:06
Striker and winger although today was refreshing and a good performance lets not get carried away

Jacunion
21-08-2011, 18:06
Who were we playing in all honesty though?

I still think we need a central midfield playmaker a proper striker and a right back if possible.

dublinbear
21-08-2011, 18:07
1 new striker to add competition and i would be happy with what we have until January then we can re-assess.

If we can offload McCulloch and Beattie we could free up wages for 2 more signings if needed.

Helstead
21-08-2011, 18:07
It was a great result but I still think like most people on here have said we need a striker to partner Jelavic and LW after that maybe a possible CM for back up.

garyw09
21-08-2011, 18:08
I would like an attacking midfielder or a striker.

BluenoseLoyal&True
21-08-2011, 18:09
Still need a left midfielder and a striker. One win and good performance changes nothing.

FernandoTorres
21-08-2011, 18:10
Striker and a left winger.

Our youth players are outstanding so we should be using them as much as possible.

Daddy_Bear07
21-08-2011, 18:11
If we only signed a striker i wouldn't complain too much.

dublinbear
21-08-2011, 18:11
It was a great result but I still think like most people on here have said we need a striker to partner Jelavic and LW after that maybe a possible CM for back up.

CM is our strongest position. I think Naismith has today proved himself a better option than McCulloch and maybe Edu. We need to replace what we lose from Naismith further up the pitch though when he plays CM.

Davis, Edu and Ness worked well in a 4-3-3 at Inverness but i think our best formation is 4-4-2 with Naismith, Davis, Edu and Wylde with Jelavic and Lafferty up front.

portrushbear
21-08-2011, 18:13
striker definitely, and a left winger

not really worried about CM, the players we have are more than capable just up to the manager to leave out mcculloch and edu

bedoya has been playing defensive midfield for obrero the last few games,so could be deployed there for us

jackdaniels78
21-08-2011, 18:15
We still need a striker because if Jela or Laff get injured we don't have much cover. Would like to see this 2 as our first choice front pair

Eros Clawhit.
21-08-2011, 18:16
2 or 3 bodies,1 of which needs to be a starter.

Meggs
21-08-2011, 18:16
Striker is an absolute must

Helstead
21-08-2011, 18:19
CM is our strongest position. I think Naismith has today proved himself a better option than McCulloch and maybe Edu. We need to replace what we lose from Naismith further up the pitch though when he plays CM.

Davis, Edu and Ness worked well in a 4-3-3 at Inverness but i think our best formation is 4-4-2 with Naismith, Davis, Edu and Wylde with Jelavic and Lafferty up front.

I agree with you,thats why I said a possible back up for the CM role.
Incase Naismith got injuried/suspended ,because I really dont trust or
like have McCulloch and Edu in the team you never know what you are going
to get from them.

Reverend_Alabaster
21-08-2011, 18:20
Striker and a left winger.

Our youth players are outstanding so we should be using them as much as possible.

They did fine today, but I don't know if I agree that our youth players are "outstanding". In my opinion Perry isn't quite up to it, nor are Wylde, McMillan or Fleck. Hutton and Ness might have a chance, given a fair wind.

Nacho Novo
Striker and a winger and I'd be happy with the squad.

Jordan-rtid
A striker and winger.

Bear_In_Orkney
21-08-2011, 18:23
I think there might be one more player and it will be a striker.

Mystic Meg Loyal

tam1912
21-08-2011, 18:25
Striker and a winger although I would give lafferty a chance up there with jela

portrushbear
21-08-2011, 18:25
They did fine today, but I don't know if I agree that our youth players are "outstanding". In my opinion Perry isn't quite up to it, nor are Wylde, McMillan or Fleck. Hutton and Ness might have a chance, given a fair wind.

what makes you say they arent up to it?

clearly on todays showing they are up to it, maybe not ready for a prolonged run in the team but more than capable of providing cover when needed, lets not forget we had 13 players unavailable today bare bones and played the form team in scotland off the pitch at times

the futures bright, give youth a chance to prosper

Harry's Da
21-08-2011, 18:27
An injury to Davis worries me, this style of player in our team needs to be covered.

whitbyontbear
21-08-2011, 18:28
We have McKay and Bedoya still to come. Both midfielders. I think we only need a poacher striker to complement Jela and stick the ball in the net.

tam1912
21-08-2011, 18:28
An injury to Davis worries me, this style of player in our team needs to be covered.

If either him or jelavic get a bad one we would struggle

thebluesea
21-08-2011, 18:29
Striker and a winger.

That's it. I would hope to see Beattie move on and if the money's right and re-invested, then Edu could go for me. Hutton can fill his shoes

Sam_English
21-08-2011, 18:29
I would say that our main priority is getting another striker in.

stevogf7
21-08-2011, 18:32
A left mid/winger and a striker for me.

People wanting more central mid-fielders and right backs are tripping we have enough players to cover these positions but left mid/winger and strikers are what we are short on.

Rustledust
21-08-2011, 18:32
1) A powerful and pacey striker to take the weight from Jelavic. Someone who can play alongside him but can also play alone should Jelavic get injured. Lafferty should be third choice striker and given the opportunity to join in the first team as often as possible (when fit). We need to replace Miller. A loan deal for an upcoming quality striker could be an option.

2) A creative, fast winger who can play with both feet and also chip in with a few goals. We need to replace Weiss.

3) A centre half. This won't be agreed by most but IMO we still need another. Bartley and Goian are not reliable enough, they're basically one team member between the two of them. Weir should never be relied upon and Papac & Broadfoot are competition for full back areas. Last season we had Weir, Bougherra & Bartley; it was obvious we still needed another centre half. We've replaced Weir with Goian and added Bocanegra to fill the previous void. We need to replace Bougherra. It'd be nice to have a Cuellar or Juhasz who we could mould the spine of our team around for the next 3 or 4 years.

berkshiretrueblue
21-08-2011, 18:35
We still need another striker, someone that is fast and can poach goals and personally I would like us to sign another winger.

I am not sure that we need a holding midfield player for teh Scottish game and I suspect that we have enough cover now at full back and centre back.

If we were to sell Edu I would consider a box to box midfield player, I would try and get some money for Broadfoot and I would only use McCulloch and Weir in a dire emergency but would utilise both to help coaching teh young lads.

Jani-Kaupilla
21-08-2011, 18:36
Would take 1 more quality striker, but if I'm being greedy, a quick, tricky winger wouldn't go amiss!

Harry's Da
21-08-2011, 18:37
We still need another striker, someone that is fast and can poach goals and personally I would like us to sign another winger.

I am not sure that we need a holding midfield player for teh Scottish game and I suspect that we have enough cover now at full back and centre back.

If we were to sell Edu I would consider a box to box midfield player, I would try and get some money for Broadfoot and I would only use McCulloch and Weir in a dire emergency but would utilise both to help coaching teh young lads.

Very sensible comment regarding both.

SuperSouness
21-08-2011, 18:45
A Striker is the most obvious one as we really only have two have worth talking about.

A Left Winger is also just as important given that we've needed one since the days of McLeish. I like the idea of an established player in that position competing with Wylde rather than shoe horning half the squad into that position.

Folk are also losing sight of the fact that we still haven't signed a Centre Half of the calibre of Cuellar to play alongside Goian. I'm pleased to have Bartley, Perry and to a lesser extent Bocanegra as options but we need a real quality signing in there to lead us forward.

Basically the same 3 glaring issues we had at the end of last season.

SuperSouness
21-08-2011, 18:47
1) A powerful and pacey striker to take the weight from Jelavic. Someone who can play alongside him but can also play alone should Jelavic get injured. Lafferty should be third choice striker and given the opportunity to join in the first team as often as possible (when fit). We need to replace Miller. A loan deal for an upcoming quality striker could be an option.

2) A creative, fast winger who can play with both feet and also chip in with a few goals. We need to replace Weiss.

3) A centre half. This won't be agreed by most but IMO we still need another. Bartley and Goian are not reliable enough, they're basically one team member between the two of them. Weir should never be relied upon and Papac & Broadfoot are competition for full back areas. Last season we had Weir, Bougherra & Bartley; it was obvious we still needed another centre half. We've replaced Weir with Goian and added Bocanegra to fill the previous void. We need to replace Bougherra. It'd be nice to have a Cuellar or Juhasz who we could mould the spine of our team around for the next 3 or 4 years.

Completely agree. We have not replaced Bougherra. We were looking like we were in the market for a big signing at Centre Half all summer and we're still waiting for it.

stevogf7
21-08-2011, 18:50
Completely agree. We have not replaced Bougherra. We were looking like we were in the market for a big signing at Centre Half all summer and we're still waiting for it.

Goian looks to be a good replacement for boogie. He looks good in the air and can play a bit with the ball at his feet.

SuperSouness
21-08-2011, 18:51
Goian looks to be a good replacement for boogie. He looks good in the air and can play a bit with the ball at his feet.

Goian was Weir's replacement.

Superally51
21-08-2011, 18:51
A new striker and a winger and we will be very strong (for the spl).

david1291
21-08-2011, 18:52
spend all the existing budget on a striker that can push lafferty for a place

jaket1873
21-08-2011, 18:55

What a load of shite. Perry and McMillan in the games they've played for us have been good. They all have a big future with us even fleck if he gets played in a central role!

47blue
In an ideal world a striker, a winger & a right back

stevogf7
Goian was Weir's replacement.

So who is Bocanegra in to replace?

Janbear
21-08-2011, 18:56
A quality striker & I think we're sorted.

WATP!!

Burgh-Ger
21-08-2011, 18:58
for me, think it needs to be a pacey striker!!
Lafferty and Jela look as if they could become a good pairing but I would like another pacey out and out striker!!

alibongo11
21-08-2011, 18:59
Quality striker to play alongside jelavic and a winger

SuperSouness
21-08-2011, 19:01
So who is Bocanegra in to replace?

McCoist said after signing Bartley that he was still in the market for 2 Centre Halves.

We had big bids in for Cuellar and Juhasz and ended up with a 32 year old who isn't really a Centre Half for a few hundred grand. For me that's not the level of player we've been going for in that position this summer. I'm sure Bocanegra will be a decent option to have but we need a quality addition we can rely on for the next 3 or 4 years to play alongside Goian in my opinion.

The Rubber Mallet
21-08-2011, 19:08
A striker and a "No. 10"

stevogf7
21-08-2011, 19:13
McCoist said after signing Bartley that he was still in the market for 2 Centre Halves.

We had big bids in for Cuellar and Juhasz and ended up with a 32 year old who isn't really a Centre Half for a few hundred grand. For me that's not the level of player we've been going for in that position this summer. I'm sure Bocanegra will be a decent option to have but we need a quality addition we can rely on for the next 3 or 4 years to play alongside Goian in my opinion.

I agree with us getting a younger CH in that we can start to build a team around but by the looks of it we will have to do with Bocanegra for this year and hopefully get a quality younger CH in next summer.

The 2-3 million would be better spent on a striker and winger imo.

Rustledust
21-08-2011, 19:37
I agree with us getting a younger CH in that we can start to build a team around but by the looks of it we will have to do with Bocanegra for this year and hopefully get a quality younger CH in next summer.

The 2-3 million would be better spent on a striker and winger imo.

We need 4 centre halves supplimented by youth. Every club has at least 4 first team centre halves. We have Goian, Bartley and Bocanegra. To an extent we have Weir, but when you consider his fitness and couple it with the fitness of Bartley and Goian - then it's obvious we need another centre half IMO.

I think we can bring in a quality striker on loan right now, and look to spend money in that area once Jelavic leaves and provides us with funds.

I guess it all depends on where McCoist sees as needing prioritised and where he wants to be re-building in future. You've got to remember that next Summer, Bartley will leave, Weir will retire and it's likely Papac and Broadfoot will also move on. Will Ally want to be looking for 3 or 4 new defenders next Summer or will he want his main figure at the back already on board? i.e. brought in this year.

Cuellar for 2m, Weiss & Sturridge on loan would make us unbeatable. It also wouldn't cost the earth.

mwell_ger
21-08-2011, 19:38
striker, centre midfield and left winger i'd say.

Although we played well today and if hutton and ness are both fit then they would be fine in centre mid.

FiveStarGer
21-08-2011, 19:39
natural left winger and a striker

i have been saying for weeks also a right back but Jordan McMillan has filled me with confidence so just the winger and striker

if Cuellar comes back that wouldnt hurt either but Goian,Bartley,Boncanegra,Weir and Perry are solid options

Teddyjohn
21-08-2011, 19:40
I would go for Jamie Murphy and Vladimir Weiss. Would probably cost round 4m for them but well worth it imo.

rosstheger
21-08-2011, 19:41
A really classy, creative player and a striker to partner Jelavic.

If we are able to get a right-back in as well, then I'd be happy with that too.

Reverend_Alabaster
21-08-2011, 20:06
What a load of shite. Perry and McMillan in the games they've played for us have been good. They all have a big future with us even fleck if he gets played in a central role!

I hope you're right, I just happen to disagree. They've done OK against mediocre opposition, but I have my doubts about them against better players.

They're not kids anymore, and if they were that good I like to think we'd have seen the evidence of it long ago. But then again that might be down to the management ethos at Murray Park. So, again, I hope you're right.

Stewie1873
21-08-2011, 20:11
One new striker bought outright.

Hopefully 2 epl players on loan and we'll have a decent squad.

Harry's Da
21-08-2011, 20:11
A really classy, creative player and a striker to partner Jelavic.

If we are able to get a right-back in as well, then I'd be happy with that too.

The problem we would face would be fitting players into the team.

Do we really need a new striker to partner Jelavic?
No, we have Lafferty who showed last season and again today, he is more than capable of playing that role.

Do we need a really classy creative player?
No, we have Davis, who when given the right partner and played centrally in midfield is more than capable of being the most creative player in Scotland.

We need 'decent' cover for these positions.

hongkongdonkey
21-08-2011, 20:17
I think a good left winger and another striker. If Le Fondre is the class of player we're going for then I'm not too bothered.

stefanovitch
21-08-2011, 20:28
Livermore on loan from Spurs.
Utaka signed from Odense.
Genuine left winger from anywhere.

Offload Broadfoot and McCulloch and Beattie.

stevogf7
21-08-2011, 20:36
We need 4 centre halves supplimented by youth. Every club has at least 4 first team centre halves. We have Goian, Bartley and Bocanegra. To an extent we have Weir, but when you consider his fitness and couple it with the fitness of Bartley and Goian - then it's obvious we need another centre half IMO.

I think we can bring in a quality striker on loan right now, and look to spend money in that area once Jelavic leaves and provides us with funds.

I guess it all depends on where McCoist sees as needing prioritised and where he wants to be re-building in future. You've got to remember that next Summer, Bartley will leave, Weir will retire and it's likely Papac and Broadfoot will also move on. Will Ally want to be looking for 3 or 4 new defenders next Summer or will he want his main figure at the back already on board? i.e. brought in this year.

Cuellar for 2m, Weiss & Sturridge on loan would make us unbeatable. It also wouldn't cost the earth.

IMO 3 senior centre halfs is enough for us with the other players and youngsters that can play there.

If Weir retires and Bartley goes it still leaves us with 2 senior CH and the youngsters so for me it would mean bringing in 1 good quality player and 1 for cover ala Bartley for that position and hopefully Super will be looking at getting one on a pre-contract in Jan.

The forward line is badly needing strengthening and cover we have only 2 real players to play there Laff and Jelavic. Beattie and Healy are not in Supers plans by the looks of it. So for me getting 2 forward thinking players in this summer is far more important imo.

In saying all that i can see Cueller coming in at the end of the window or possibly in Jan.

Blackwithredtops
21-08-2011, 20:46
A striker.

We need a decent quality forward to provide a challenge to Lafferty and Jelavic.

Apart from that a winger would be nice.

Assuming Bedoya and McKay add something to our midfield then I think we are otherwise sorted.

_BlueNose_
21-08-2011, 20:47
A striker .

Harry's Da
21-08-2011, 20:53
http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=793840

xorbi
21-08-2011, 21:23
Most certainly - having come this far lets finish the job. A quality (well reasonable given our finances) and a winger (young Weiss) would put us in the driving seat to win the SPL. Europe? Well that's another story.

Menzies
21-08-2011, 21:35
A quality striker and a winger, before today i would have added a RB but after young McMillan's performance i would have him in long before clubfoot or whittaker, he looks a crackin prospect the young lad.

shandogg
21-08-2011, 22:50
with celtic slipping up today and lennon stating he doesnt need to spend more (probably doesnt have any) can we now go into the season ahead with what we have got? If there is any money left would Ally better not keep it to use in January which would gives us a massive boost going into the second half of the season.

Also for the stick Advocaat got for spending big are we now at long last seeing the fruits of his academy plan. with the likes of Perry, Fleck, Wylde, Ness, Hutton etc all looking like decent addintions to a squad that has 3x winning champions we could be look as if we have a great squad for years to come. It could now come down to we only need 1-2 real quality players every season which we could spend most of our budget on.

Ballymena_Loyal
21-08-2011, 22:51
Would still like another good striker in.

david1291
21-08-2011, 22:52
^ what he said

shandogg
21-08-2011, 22:53
whats this bof hemmings like? for the money we will spend (probably few 100k) will we bring in anybody better than what he is??

WeAreThePeople82
21-08-2011, 22:53
Another good 3/4 million pound striker and a midfielder

rockgirl
21-08-2011, 22:54
Deffo need another striker.

rossc
21-08-2011, 22:54
One more striker.

BluenoseLoyal&True
21-08-2011, 22:55
Need a couple, today's result doesn't change that.

westl
Would still like another good striker in.

The missing piece for me ,good strike partner for Jela we ll run riot

shandogg
Another good 3/4 million pound striker and a midfielder

with the result of the unwashed today i cant see them spending 3-4 mil on a striker. Think they might just wait it out till january.

Jaws2
21-08-2011, 22:56
We're covered in defence and midfield with Boca, Bedoya and Mackay to come in but, like the other guys said, another forward (penalty-box striker to dovetail with Jela ideally) should see us in good shape.

stuart1972
21-08-2011, 22:56
Hopefully we will get a quality striker in

Will be interesting to see the Premiership squads of 25 as there will no doubt be a couple of decent loan signings going about

papasmurf
21-08-2011, 22:57
The missing piece for me ,good strike partner for Jela we ll run riot

we already have him and he plays very well with jela!

shandogg
21-08-2011, 22:57
should we cut our losses with beattie and use his what towards a decent loan signing?

we already have him and he plays very well with jela!

thast my thoughts although injuries thats why i would be tempted to stick with healy and hemmings till the next transfer window.

Warpainting
21-08-2011, 23:00
I don't think we need another striker.
With Jela, Laff, Naismith, Healy and the boy Hemmings, no need.
Someone who can get forward from midfield surely needed more.

duffsdad
21-08-2011, 23:00
Maybe that wee guy Messi will be available :angel:

shandogg
21-08-2011, 23:01
plus if needed i reckon naisy could do a shift up front and we still have cover in the middle with ness bedoya and mackay

billywizz
21-08-2011, 23:03
We're still a central midfielder, and a striker short of having a very good squad

shandogg
21-08-2011, 23:04
We're still a central midfielder, and a striker short of having a very good squad

think we have plenty cover in the middle now tbh.

ddunc
21-08-2011, 23:05
still need a striker and winger..

Cooperfan
21-08-2011, 23:08
I need to known how good McKay and Bedoya are first. If they can fill the LW or/and creative CM roles then fine. I'm assuming they can for now.

Other than that we definitely need another CF so Naismith can drop back into the midfield support role.

gourockblue50
21-08-2011, 23:36
1 new striker to add competition and i would be happy with what we have until January then we can re-assess.

If we can offload McCulloch and Beattie we could free up wages for 2 more signings if needed.

Sounds like a good call but I would add that if we only buy one player we should do the same as we did with Jelavic and buy real quality.

billywizz
21-08-2011, 23:39
think we have plenty cover in the middle now tbh.

Not sufficient cover I dont think, Edu and McCulloch can't be trusted, Ness is unfortunately going to suffer from fitness issues for most of his career I think, Hutton is an option, and obviously Davis, Bedoya and McKay would seem to be more preferred in wider roles, so I would say we still need a quality central midfielder to play alongside Davo

Goughie1873
22-08-2011, 00:21
Striker and a winger for me also, Jelavic, Lafferty with support from the wings would run riot as proven last season