PDA

View Full Version : "There is an agenda against Rangers" - Gordon Smith

McRod
18-06-2011, 07:47
Well Smudger, now you can do something about it. You have all the tools you need including a chairman and fans who feel the same.

Gordon Smith, the chief executive of the SFA, has entered the debate about sectarianism in Scottish football and claimed that there is “an agenda against Rangers” in a widespread interview which is shortly to be published.

Smith, who has made a number of controversial statements since taking over the reins at the SFA in June, has also claimed that, in terms of Old Firm supporters’ chanting, Rangers are given a harder time than Celtic in the current debate about sectarianism in the game.

The SFA chief, who played for Rangers for three season in the late 1970s, makes his comments in a chapter he has contributed to a new book about Rangers, entitled It’s Rangers For Me?, which is shortly to go on sale.

In the book, Smith discusses his Ayrshire upbringing, and how much he deplores bigotry of any sort, but goes on to explain why he feels there is a current intellectual climate in which Rangers suffer more than Celtic. “Rangers are going through a hard time at the moment and to a certain degree there is an agenda against them,” Smith says. “Celtic have always thought that people were against them, but now Rangers are starting to feel the same.”

Smith doesn’t clearly specify whose “agenda” it is against Rangers, though he seems to hint heavily in Uefa’s direction, and cites the European governing body’s recent case against his old club when Rangers were censured and fined for bigoted chanting.

“It is not a media bias, it is just that reports about chants and what have you [at Ibrox] reached Uefa and they took action,” he says. “But people are trying to portray Rangers as the only club that has bigots. I just think they should be more evenhanded about it.”

Holding up Celtic as a contrast to Rangers, Smith goes on to expand on his belief that the Celtic Park club are given an easier ride than Rangers in the whole debate about football clubs, history and tradition.

“Celtic make a point of extolling their background and tradition,” Smith says. “They are quite happy to say that they have a tradition of Irish Catholicism, and that they are a club founded by Brother Walfrid and immigrants to this country. And I am very comfortable with that.

“But why is there a problem when Rangers come out and say similar things? Why is it a problem when Rangers come out and say they were set up by people from a Church of Scotland upbringing and that they have a Unionist background?”

In terms of sectarianism in football, Smith goes on to argue that there is an “oversensitivity” on some people’s part towards singing from the stands, though he does condemn The Billy Boys, the song which some Rangers supporters’ groups fought in vain to save during the Uefa investigation of Ibrox.

“The issue of sectarianism is topical again but we have to be careful we don’t become oversensitive to it all,” he says. “You simply can’t make laws or rules just because people say they are offended. Rangers fans sing God Save The Queen and Celtic fans boo it: does that mean the national anthem is offensive?

“Everyone should be offended about ‘being up to our knees in Fenian blood’ or about hearing IRA songs. If those sorts of songs are sung then action should be taken, but just to say that everything is offensive seems to me a dangerous road to go down.”

In the forthcoming book, Smith claims that he was more exposed to bigoted abuse once he became a media pundit with BBC Scotland, rather than when he was a Rangers player.

“I found that people disliked me just because of my Rangers background,” he says. “People e-mailed the BBC about me and I was called ‘an Orange bastard’ a few times, but that doesn’t bother me. Saying something like that doesn’t demean me, it demeans them.

“I always try to be objective and the most frustrating thing is that people can’t see that.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article2626108.ece

gertilidie
18-06-2011, 07:58
To coin a phrase, "this is just the beginning" I believe he will be good for our club

BlueKidG
18-06-2011, 07:59
excellent interview, remember it well at the time.

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 07:59
According to Whyte's job description that will not be part of Gordon Smith's remit.

McRod
18-06-2011, 08:00
According to Whyte's job description that will not be part of Gordon Smith's remit.

I'd bet heavily that it is.

TheHost
18-06-2011, 08:00
i wonder how smudgers best pal "bullneck (mad largs shagger {yes we know}) Traynor" will be feeling after the disgusting way he went after him, when at the SFA.

Fk em all smudger

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 08:08
I'd bet heavily that it is.

He will obviously have an input behind the scenes and advise the likes of
Russell but his remit is to work on the football side of things, overseeing the
development at Murray park of the youths and working with Russell on the
transfer negotiations.

I don't expect him to be wheeled out in front of cameras doing a PR job. The
job title is Director of football.

McRod
18-06-2011, 08:12
transfer negotiations.

He's the perfect canditate to do our PR.

PR isn`t a full time job so i don't think we'll employ someone soley for that purpose.

I think GS will be our main spokesman.

Bear_In_Orkney
18-06-2011, 08:13
transfer negotiations.

That would be obvious.

Smith wont have anything to do with putting the boot into the enemies of Rangers.

Whyte can do that quite adequately.

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 08:14
He's the perfect canditate to do our PR.

PR isn`t a full time job so i don't think we'll employ someone soley for that purpose.

I think GS will be our main spokesman.

He may well be the perfect candidate and we all may well wish that he filled
that role but it's not the way that Whyte has outlined his purpose.

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 08:16
That would be obvious.

Smith wont have anything to do with putting the boot into the enemies of Rangers.

Obviously not Bear_In_Orkney.

Despite what Whyte has stated people are creating their own vision of what
Gordon Smith will be doing.

..Obi-Wan..
18-06-2011, 09:38
To coin a phrase, "this is just the beginning" I believe he will be good for our club

Agreed. This really is the beginning of the new Rangers.

JellaFella
18-06-2011, 09:43
Whyte should be the front man for any comments made to the media. Smith should have input into any comments that are going to be made. Smith has been around media circles long enough to know how they work and who is doing the work.

weebear
18-06-2011, 09:54
That would be obvious.

Disagree BIO, Whyte has already said "he will not always be in at Ibrox due to other work commitments"

Always better to tag team the PR AND MHEDIA, only wield the big stick (Whyte) when needed imo.

Purplestar
18-06-2011, 09:56
At last !! Someone in the public eye has finally come out and hit the nail on the head regarding our club and supporters :clap: All we need now is for the leader of the Scottish Parliament to be honest :eek: and sort out the sectarian schooling system that divides the country. I won't hold my breath tho.

mwellger
18-06-2011, 09:57
Like this line "Celtic have always thought people were against them" :D

DylanGer
18-06-2011, 10:01
Disagree BIO, Whyte has already said "he will not always be in at Ibrox due to other work commitments"

Always better to tag team the PR AND MHEDIA, only wield the big stick (Whyte) when needed imo.

What bit about Director Of Football do we not get?

He is not going to be talking about non-football issues.....

Pumbas_Nakasak
18-06-2011, 10:03

sometimes its better to just walk away

eb-blueger
18-06-2011, 10:05
Hope this is the start of sranding up for ourselves! Stop taking everything on the chinn!!;)
Well Smudger, now you can do something about it. You have all the tools you need including a chairman and fans who feel the same.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article2626108.ece

DylanGer
18-06-2011, 10:05
sometimes its better to just walk away

Tell me about it...anyway we have 12M to spend on transfers....:D

Pandamonium
18-06-2011, 10:08
I need that Randy Marsh Pic!!!

At last someone at Rangers is finally standing up for us. Feel very emotional.

Go Smudger :scarf: :scarf:

Know Your Enemy
18-06-2011, 10:08

How do you know that?

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 10:11
At last !! Someone in the public eye has finally come out and hit the nail on the head regarding our club and supporters :clap: All we need now is for the leader of the Scottish Parliament to be honest :eek: and sort out the sectarian schooling system that divides the country. I won't hold my breath tho.

You are aware that Gordon Smith wrote this years ago and never made this
statement yesterday I assume?

GioLoyal
18-06-2011, 10:35
Gordon Smith is going to be a tremendous asset to us.

DylanGer
18-06-2011, 10:41
How do you know that?

Because I've seen the remit of his job today....I don't know it, I think it would be very very unusual for a DOF to be talking about non-football issues in the media...

rummy
18-06-2011, 11:37
You are aware that Gordon Smith wrote this years ago and never made this
statement yesterday I assume?

You`ve just burst Purplestars bubble :roll:

Gordon Smiths` article is as relevant today as it was then though.

Yorkhill blue
18-06-2011, 11:41
You`ve just burst Purplestars bubble :roll:

Gordon Smiths` article is as relevant today as it was then though.

I totally agree but nonetheless the contribution to the book was years ago and
under a different set of personal circumstances for Gordon Smith.

Some seem to believe he made this statement yesterday and will continue to
make statements such as this, it doesn't follow, especially as his remit is not
one of a public speaker (PR) but that of a director of football matters.

CPA Bluenose
18-06-2011, 11:47
It'll be a massive leap forward if ANYONE at Rangers steps forward and defends us in the media.

bearfaecumbernauld
18-06-2011, 12:01
Given we already have a CEO legal matters dictate that bringing in Smith with a DOF title makes a lot sense as Bain could sue the club.

I'm sure GS will take an active interest in mhedia matters and press releases but until Bain has officially left the building employment laws must be adhered too.

I hope Bain and McIntyre get sacked IF the investigation proves they've been doing something they shouldn't. Time will tell on that front.