PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about a random game and why it stuck in your mind

big_hec
15-06-2011, 18:08
Mine would be season 75/76.

League match at Somerset Park –September/October time - humped 3-0 but.........................it was the first time we got served in a pub, pre and post match.

All of 16 and covered in acne and bum fluff – but 3 of us namely – me, Charing and another mate Ronnie fresh out of school got into a pub in Ayr. 3 pints before and after the game eased the pain

Remember trying it on in vain with some lassies at Cumbernauld Town centre before sashing it up on the way home :( :o

MONTYBEAR
15-06-2011, 18:22
Glen Skivington testimonial 1993 - Vs Barrow. An amazin wee trip, got down there early bells and as usual the place was full of bears and jumping. It was a great time for us as a club and the feel good factor was as good as I remember! For such a small ground the atmosphere was imense and the bluebells are blue wrang out for 90 minutes.

Can't believe it was nearly 20 years ago!!!

Reminiscing Loyal
:cool:

suramericaranger
15-06-2011, 18:23
Rangers 3 - Herfolge 0.

I remember it as the Danish were one of the dirtiest bastarding teams I had ever seen come to Ibrox.

davebRFC
15-06-2011, 18:30
Cant remember the year but it was the game bert konterman
Scored n put out the mankys out!! It stuck in my mind because it was the only thing he done for us! Lol!

oldblueeyes
15-06-2011, 18:31
Against Clydebank .The tin man scored an absolute screamer.

shawlandsbear
15-06-2011, 18:32
rangers v zenit at ibrox in a pointless midweek friendly was pretty random,all i remember is getting freebie tickets,getting humped and ricksen blootering chris burke

davebRFC
Scored n put out the mankys. It stuck in my mind because it was the only thing he done for us! Lol!

53easy
Ayr 0-1 Rangers Scottish cup match(De Boer late header)

Drinking in the away end was fun that day

rivastigmine
15-06-2011, 18:46
BP Youth Cup final circa 1993

Airdrie 3-5 Rangers at (a packed as I recall) old Broomfield. One of the first Gers games I remember as a lad. We were 3-0 down before coming back. Crazy game.

dh1963
15-06-2011, 18:49
Rangers 7 Hibs 0

December 30th 1995.

Remember it so well because it was the first game I took my son to see.

Jose Mourinho
15-06-2011, 18:51
game v st mirren about 87
my 2nd at ibrox, i was about 11
one of mark walters' early games

old boy behind me was saying some pretty shocking stuff about mr walters skin colour prior to the game.

walters plays a blinder, scores a couple (cant remember the right score i'm afraid)
same old boy just bellows out

"GON BLACK BEAUTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

pretty much collapsed with laughter at that point

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 18:52
Glen Skivington testimonial 1993 - Vs Barrow. An amazin wee trip, got down there early bells and as usual the place was full of bears and jumping. It was a great time for us as a club and the feel good factor was as good as I remember! For such a small ground the atmosphere was imense and the bluebells are blue wrang out for 90 minutes.

Can't believe it was nearly 20 years ago!!!

Reminiscing Loyal
:cool:

Aye, i wiz at that game too, supporters bus arrived down there around 1ish, can't remember too much about game tho, lol.

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 19:02
Dunfermline 2 v Rangers 4, Ithink it wiz Jan 2002, League game.
We were 2-0 down at h/t, but came back & won 4-2, unbelievable, never looked like scoring 1 goal never mind 4, lol.
Shocking in 1st half, absolutely brilliant in 2nd half.

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 19:08
Scored n put out the mankys. It stuck in my mind because it was the only thing he done for us! Lol!

2002 League Cup Semi at Hampden, wot a goal.
Wot a remember about that is a had a double on at bookies, a wiz w8ing on Rangers winning ht-ft, but shota missed a pen wi 12 mins left, gutted.
But my night was made when bert scored a screamer in extra time, best goal that i've seen whilst following the Gers.

JamesyMFH
15-06-2011, 19:11
Boxing day in 2001/02 season, i think, against St Johnstone. The coldest i've ever been at a game. Ricksen scored a cracker that day.

The Terminator
15-06-2011, 19:13
Rangers vs Hibs at ibrox 95/96 season.

Laudrup (when he was actually fit that season) turning a Hibs defender inside out, did him so badly that the guy was actually running in the opposite direction from Laudrup by the time he crossed the ball. Sheer class

NS
15-06-2011, 19:15
Rangers 2-1 Motherwell

A scottish cup tie at Ibrox. I think Phil O'Donnell scored for Motherwell & we came back with Mikhailichenko scoring two

The Motherwell fans had the whole of the bottom of the Broomloan Rd & it was a cracking atmosphere

I think Davie Cooper played for Motherwell. I may be wrong

Rfc_Burkey_Rfc
15-06-2011, 19:26
Rangers v Maccabi Haifa(sp) because that shitey bastard handcuffed himself to the goal post! :blink:

EK Billy Boy
15-06-2011, 19:31
Away to Hibs 2003/2004 season I think? Last minute winner from Stephen Hughes and the Rangers end went tonto.

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 19:34
Scottish League Cup semi-final 93/94 Ibrox
Wot a game, sellic got the whole of the govan that nite as well as the broomloan as hampden was under refurbishment.
Huistra got sent off midway thru 2nd half & their support went wild thinking that they'd then go on & win.
That was until durranty roobed galloway at corner of copeland & enclosure & passed to hateley to score, brilliant nite.:)

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 19:36
Away to Hibs 2003/2004 season I think? Last minute winner from Stephen Hughes and the Rangers end went tonto.

a had got out my seat & ready to leave when hughsie scored, it wiz mental.

Terry Hurlocks Perm
15-06-2011, 19:42
A UEFA cup game about 4 years ago. We were getting beat 1 nil at home and with about a minute to play (can't remember who we were playing) Hemdani curls in a beauty from 25 yards.

Sticks in the mind as about a minute before the goal me and my mate left our front row seats in the East Enclosure to watch the dying minutes up the back and miss the rush.

After Hemdani scored he ran straight to wear we had been sitting to celebrate with the whole team and was in amongst the fans.

We just looked at each other and said "Oh f***".

berties_a_legend1
15-06-2011, 19:42
Beating motherwell 2-1 at ibrox in 1988-89. Drinkell scoring in injury time.

Stewie1873
15-06-2011, 19:44
Rangers v Maccabi Haifa(sp) because that shitey bastard handcuffed himself to the goal post! :blink:

Remember that.

Did he not have a pope t-shirt on aswell.

dh1963
15-06-2011, 19:45
A UEFA cup game about 4 years ago. We were getting beat 1 nil at home and with about a minute to play (can't remember who we were playing) Hemdani curls in a beauty from 25 yards.

Sticks in the mind as about a minute before the goal me and my mate left our front row seats in the East Enclosure to watch the dying minutes up the back and miss the rush.

After Hemdani scored he ran straight to wear we had been sitting to celebrate with the whole team and was in amongst the fans.

Osasuna.

With a certain Carlos Cuellar playing for them.

elgin loyal
15-06-2011, 19:45
April 97. Rangers 4, Dunfermline 0. Albertz, Petric, Laudrup & Hateley score for us.

elgin loyal
15-06-2011, 19:46

Osasuna. My last game at Ibrox :(

smegs 16
15-06-2011, 19:47
a 1-0 (i think) away win at partic thistle a few years back.

just because the banter was great. Including the 2 wee lads in the thistle end who were doing the international "specky" gesture with their hands up at their eyes to the Bear with the Glasses on. The bear then shouts back at them "Aye, Im a specky bastard, MA TEAMS WINNIN!!"

EK Billy Boy
15-06-2011, 19:48
MOtherwell at home 94/95?, drawing 1 each right at the end and Laudrup gets the ball in his own half, runs the length of the park before giving it to Duncan Ferguson who finishes it off

dcbear
15-06-2011, 19:58
1-0 home to Motherwell roundabout March 1987. Getting near to the end of the season, a nervy game decided when Super-Ally scored a trundler in a packed area with about 7 minutes to go, just when the tension was getting unbearable.

First game where I actually started believing we were going to win the league for the first time in years.

Ross94
15-06-2011, 20:16
Stuttgart 1 - 1 Rangers last season I'm sure. Remember thinking we were onto a winner with Rothen and going nuts when Bougherra scored a pretty good equaliser.
Also the camera zooming into one rather feminine guy in the rangers end with dodgy sunglasses. :D

rez_1873
15-06-2011, 20:17
Rangers 2v2 Hearts February 98.

I was 17, getting worried we might not win the league for the first time in my own match going lifetime.

Gascoigne is having a stinker in the 2nd half and tried turning the same player 3 times and lost the ball. He then did it again when we are looking to get a winner.

I lost the rag, screamed at Gascoigne, to then be met with a volley abuse from the bears in the Copland around me to the point I nearly came to blows with a guy. At that age I didn't care about what Gazza had done for us, I only wanted my team to win and as far as I was concerned he wasn't helping.

berry89
15-06-2011, 20:25
4-0 Against Hapoel Tel Aviv 22 February 2007

My first European game, First time on Copland Front and first time at a game where we didn't just win by 1 goal but had a few to enjoy

Oh also my first evening game

steincolin
15-06-2011, 20:27
Getting beat 4-2 off the scum in may 79 to lose the league,it was 2-2 with around 10min to go and a draw would have kept us on track to win the tittle,all these years later i still cant get that game out my head

supergers07
15-06-2011, 20:28
Rangers 4 Livingston 3

interbear4
15-06-2011, 20:39
Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 8 around September 79 I think. Memorable as I lived in Stewarton and spent the afternoon playing football with my pals and none of us could believe a team could score 8 in one game when we heard.

TamfaeKP
15-06-2011, 21:26
A Wednesday night Firhill April 1994.

Partick Thistle 1 Rangers 2

Gough header puts Gers one up on 37 minutes, Charnley makes it 1-1 with half an hour to go.

Into the dying seconds Stuart McCall slips a superb through ball to McCoist who rounds the keeper and slots in the winner.

Then jumps the adverts for good measure.

They dont call him super Ally for nothing.

Remember it like it was last Wednesday night.

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 21:29

Gough header puts Gers one up on 37 minutes, Charnley makes it 1-1 with half an hour to go.

Into the dying seconds Stuart McCall slips a superb through ball to McCoist who rounds the keeper and slots in the winner.

did u c charnleys face wen ally scored, he wiz aboot greeting, priceless.

TamfaeKP
15-06-2011, 21:42
did u c charnleys face wen ally scored, he wiz aboot greeting, priceless.

The whole Thistle team collapsed on the turf.

They had played really well and were deep in the relegation mire with the woeful Dundee.

KevinThomson
15-06-2011, 21:51
Whittakers debut at Ibrox against Falkirk - him and Hutton demolished them that day!

AdamsLeftBoots
15-06-2011, 21:52
One of the last games of the 00/01 season against Killie. Would have been 9 or 10 at the time. It finished 5-1, I'm sure, with scorers including Rod Wallace with his last ever Rangers goal.

It was also Ally McCoist's last ever game at Ibrox and for what seems like the whole of the second half the whole crowd was chanting his name for Bobby Williamson to bring him off the bench. Williamson refused to give in and didn't bring him on. I think he even sent Ally to warm up before telling him to sit back on the bench. :(

Always hated Willamson for that.

Game was played the same day as the FA Cup final where Liverpool scored too late goals to win against Arsenal and it was a lovely day. Think there was a 'heatwave' in Scotland around that time. :D

rabharper
15-06-2011, 21:53
Rangers 2 Dortmund 0
Rod Wallace scoring one of the best team goals I've ever seen

tacneb21
15-06-2011, 22:00
The whole Thistle team collapsed on the turf.

They had played really well and were deep in the relegation mire with the woeful Dundee.

Charnley wiz over by the rangers supporters opposite the stand, he wiz absolutely gutted, braw.

Keyser_Soze
15-06-2011, 22:02
Beating Dunfermline in the cis cup during the PLG season.

Boyd scored a screamer, i was on tv, i was chanting ''sebo'' as he was warming up and he turned round and looked at me as if to say i was a patronising bassa :D. Lee Martin came on and played well, and Sol Bamba was playing for the pars - id told my mate he would end up a fantastic player.

CarsonStarBear
15-06-2011, 22:10
April 2007 at Easter Road, 3-3 where Adam scored 2

2 mates and I got the train through to Edinburgh early doors and we sat in the big patch of grass across the road from Waverly with our club banner laid out and drinking our cairyoot before heading to Middletons on Easter Rd. Watched Man Utd vs Everton and had a lot more booze and a good sing song before heading to the game

Really enjoyable game and a great atmosphere in the Bears end even though the league was already lost. Was at the front of the rear section and spent a lot of the game abusing a Hibee in a Republic top in their shed stand. Was a surprisingly good day out!

thistle
15-06-2011, 22:13
Cup Final 198? Dundee Utd with ma old man god rest him , Jim Stewart saved a penalty at 1-1 and we done them 4-1 in the replay.

donnybear
15-06-2011, 22:19
Beating Dundee in quarter finals of league cup 1988, Wilkins ran the midfield that night,Durrant Iain Ferguson, and Derek Ferguson were his helpers. Brilliant display by Wilkins, and the young guns.:):)

Loyal_Si
15-06-2011, 22:19
Rangers 2-1 Stuttgart - Champions League 2007

When Hutton beat about 5 players, passed it to Adam and he scored a belter of a goal :D

PeachyCarnehan
15-06-2011, 22:25
Rangers v Livinston 1st game of 06-07:confused:

Missed two goals.

Queing for juice as it was a bloody warm day and baby bears first game as a season ticket holder.

andyblue
15-06-2011, 22:30

was this not the last game of the old firhill shed and it was absolutely pouring down all the bears trying to squeeze into the shed.

jango
15-06-2011, 23:30
Mine would be season 75/76.

League match at Somerset Park –September/October time - humped 3-0 but.........................it was the first time we got served in a pub, pre and post match.

All of 16 and covered in acne and bum fluff – but 3 of us namely – me, Charing and another mate Ronnie fresh out of school got into a pub in Ayr. 3 pints before and after the game eased the pain

Remember trying it on in vain with some lassies at Cumbernauld Town centre before sashing it up on the way home :( :o

Rangers vs Everton 2003 pre-season my son's first game 2 years of age.
Always remember big Boab doing rooney and him getting strechered off

robleau2
15-06-2011, 23:32
Queens Park 4 Rangers 6 1957. I was only 9 years old at the time and my memory may be playing tricks but I'm sure we were 4-0 down in this one. The Spiders were a fair team at that time. Anyone my age or older to confirm we were 4-0 down?

loyal_bear
16-06-2011, 00:05
Rangers 4 Forfar 0

Scottish cup game 2 seasons ago IIRC? Johnstone bus left for the original game at on a sunday morning and got as far as Linwood before the game got called off. On the re-arranged game remember bieng excited because it was my first time on an old style terracing and having a half day from work. Got to Forfar and couldent find a pub that wasent packed so just headed to the ground where a steward gave us a map of the stadium :blink: Also mind a some guy nearly breaking Beasleys leg.

Just a random away day that turned out to be a good laugh.

Jigs Big One
16-06-2011, 00:26
Rangers 2 St Mirren 1 last season

the pigeon from the LC final the season before paid a vist :D

conorjelavic
16-06-2011, 00:35
the friendly v Zenit halfway through a season, got free tickets through my dad's work, was the most pointless game ever!

nb89
16-06-2011, 00:46
The 4-3 Livi game in December 02 was a strange one. Excellent for 50 minutes, 4-0 and took Ferguson off and we crumbled. Lost three goals and Barry Wilson I think, almost got an equaliser in stoppage time. PLGs first game at Motherwell always sticks out aswell because we should have been 5-6 up at half time. Played 4-2-3-1 which was also a bit strange. You rarely see Scottish teams play that formation.

jxh73029
16-06-2011, 04:36
1978, PSV 2 Rangers 3, first game abroad and saw one of our greatest victories.

nzb
16-06-2011, 05:11
was this not the last game of the old firhill shed and it was absolutely pouring down all the bears trying to squeeze into the shed.

I think the last game in the shed was a 3-0 defeat to Thistle after we'd already won the league? I may be wrong but I can remember us losing 3-0 there and I got skelped right on the side of the napper with a pie. Midweek also in 94 I think?

omegaman
16-06-2011, 08:45
Partick Thistle v Cowdenbeath, Scottish Cup 1976 (I think!). Score: 1-1

Bizarrely, this was the first football match I ever attended.

Bearfaced
16-06-2011, 11:00
a New years game against Thistle at Old Firhill

Myself, my Dad and Uncle went with a Ne'erday bottle, we'll have a glass when the Bears score , oops 1 - 0 to the Jags at half time.
Then it was in quick succession 1 -1, drink, 1 - 2 drink, 1 - 3, drink , 1 - 4, drink , 1 - 5 drink

Nished as a Pewt ,
can't remember getting home:confused:

EK Billy Boy
16-06-2011, 11:49

Was there that night, absolutely torrential rain

chateaubleu
16-06-2011, 12:17
Was there that night, absolutely torrential rain

Speaking of torrential rain, I remember a game against Dundee Utd, think it finished 5-0 (and might've been the first home game of Walter's second spell in charge, though I may be wrong).

It rained so hard, the paint on the touchline at the main stand just ran off.

Also remember the pitch being an utter disgrace during the same period.

JamesyMFH
16-06-2011, 12:51
Rangers 4 Livingston 3

A couple of the Livi goals were given polite applause in the Main Stand. At least the were where I was sitting. They were stunning strikes.

Errol
16-06-2011, 13:19
1999 we secure the title at the girodome with Neil McCann runnin amok. :)

The same game that saw Hugh Dallas pelted with coins but i remember it more for the footballing reasons

britain
16-06-2011, 21:47
Rangers v Arbroath, League Cup. Aug 1989.

Remember it simply because an Arbroath sub Bradley Kerr got 'pelters' from the East Enclosure, all night:angel:

Funny as anything to those there.:D

Can't remember any of the goals. Think we won 4-0.

britain
16-06-2011, 21:53
Another

Morton 0-2 Rangers, Jan 20th 1979. baltic and Cappielow was a skating rink.

Tom Forsyth was patrolling his beat and a Morton player attacked down the right. Jaws raced over to win the ball, however his momentum kept him going ...right onto an unsuspecting member of the Greenock Constabulary who was patrolling in front of the 'Cowshed 'area, with his back to the field of play.

The next thing we knew, Jaws had knocked the policeman over the boundary wall and onto the terracing.

Big Forsyth got up and red faced and sheepishly ran back to his defensiveposition. The poloiceman got up 'all crumpled looking' and with as miuch dignity as he could muster in the circumstances (none) :D to an loud ovation from both sets of supporters.

annanberr06
16-06-2011, 22:01
1-0 home to Motherwell roundabout March 1987. Getting near to the end of the season, a nervy game decided when Super-Ally scored a trundler in a packed area with about 7 minutes to go, just when the tension was getting unbearable.

First game where I actually started believing we were going to win the league for the first time in years.I remember that DC,the shot was that much of a trundler,i don't think it even made the back of the net! As you say,the tension that day was unbearable

Dallas Cowboy
16-06-2011, 22:11
Pieter Huistra's last game at Falkirk, came off the bench in the last few minutes and scored the winner in the dying seconds to make it 3-2 to the bears (can't remember if we'd been 2-0 down?) - anyway the game sticks in my mind because my young brothers mate (BlueBaker on here) was listing the scores in the English matches, there was an Everton Liverpool score, a Man City Man U score and an Arsenal Tottenham score and he finished by saying it was 0 0 in the Leeds Derby game.

Much to my embarrassment now I spent the first twenty mins of the second half with a puzzled look on my face furiously trying to remember who the other team in Leeds where :)

The Submariner
16-06-2011, 22:25
2-0 defeat to Dundee Utd, I remember Bertie Bombscare doing a starjump as a Utd player shot and scored past Klos.

super coop
16-06-2011, 22:47
Game v Bruges at Ibrox when big Nissy scored the flukiest goal ever. Great night!

Rangers-1872
16-06-2011, 22:52
the ac milan friendly papac equalised
kaka was at the front post
a wee guy behind me shouted here kaka awryt
kaka just stuck his thumb up at him :)

bigjohn1988
16-06-2011, 22:57
Inverness calley at home a couple of seasons ago. was a midweek game and they scored a pen in the last minute...it sticks in the mind because i turned around and booted a seat and broke it in anger :D

annanberr06
16-06-2011, 23:04
Inverness calley at home a couple of seasons ago. was a midweek game and they scored a pen in the last minute...it sticks in the mind because i turned around and booted a seat and broke it in anger :DThat was f-ing baltic that night. I think it was a mix -up with McGregor and Weir,and Weir pulled the caley guy down and got a red card. Sure it was that scumbag Black that scored the pen

conorjelavic
16-06-2011, 23:17
When Inverness beat us 1-0 at home with a last minute penalty, that was the night of my birthday and needless to say I never enjoyed my birthday one bit.

kev9154
16-06-2011, 23:20
The 6-1 game against Dunfermline when we won the league. Took my old man to the game and he had the pleasure of sitting and getting blootered with Dave Smith before the game in a boozer in Partick - happy days

rupertdabear
17-06-2011, 00:53
home v dundee early 1989 won 2 or 3 1 .my first trip to ibrox and the hairs were standing on my neck.amazing feeling that stays in my mind.
couldn't believe how good derek ferguson was that day .nearly walked into the clyde trying to get to central station.well i just saw the big buildings and decided to walk that way as it must be in the city:D
must have been down near govan when cop told us to get on tube and had to go back through ibrox ,at least i got a seat got back to irvine 2 hours later to find our hosts pissed in the pub .
long time ago now but still very fresh in the memory

london_bluenose
17-06-2011, 02:52
The Ipswich Friendly in 2005.

I travelled up from London with a mate of mine on the London RSC Bus - my mate had no interest in Rangers or really football in general, he agreed to come along for the piss-up.

But when we got into the game he was absolutely blown away, spent the whole trip home lying in the aisle of the bus leading the singing, and then kept asking to go to another game.

It was then that I realised what Rangers is all about. :cool::cool:

markkerrsbackpass
17-06-2011, 03:51
16th january 2010. hamilton 0-1 rangers.

got dumped by my girlfriend the night before and to be honest it knocked me a fair bit...
was meant to meet my mates at a bar the next morning but when i got there i just kept on walking... ended up at another bar i had never been in before...

sunk pint after pint as we struggled like feck... novo scored the only goal with about 10 mins left and i went totally mental... completely over-estimating the amount of bears there (infact, i think i was the only one)!

staggered home just in time to catch the last 5 mins of the tims drawing with falkirk (I THINK) at home.

i just knew then that the title was ours! :)