PDA

View Full Version : Buying Rangers Shares

ss87
25-05-2011, 22:16
I was interested in purchasing a small number of shares in Rangers and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to go about this.

In all honesty I am a bit clueless about the whole share buying process. I had a look on the PLUS markets website and I didn't find a great deal of information there.

I also had a look on the Rangers Supporter's Trust website and I see that they have a scheme whereby you pay a minimum of 10 per month which entitles you to an RST membership, and as I understand it means that you become a small shareholder.

Is it best to do it through the trust or to go it alone and buy from a broker? If it is the latter, how would I go about doing that?

If I was to obtain a small number of shares would that then entitle me to attend the AGM and receive information etc about Rangers (i.e. the pack due out by 6th June from Craig Whyte)?

I apologise if this is something that has been asked endlessly, but it is something I am keen to do and I figured this was a reasonable place to get some advice ;)

turrabear
25-05-2011, 22:18
if you join the rst then you get a share as part of your membership . think they also do a share save sceme as well.

Farrell1
25-05-2011, 23:03
I am interested in purchasing shares myself ss87, so I am looking forward to seeing what feedback you get

ss87
25-05-2011, 23:05
Yeah it is something I am definitely really keen on. Do you know much about how best to go about it?

Ayrgaza
25-05-2011, 23:05
You could buy them at your bank. Seems to be around 35p per share just now.

I'm thinking of doing the same next month.

DJ Blue
25-05-2011, 23:07
Go to the Web site, theres info on there.

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=41

ss87
25-05-2011, 23:07
You could buy them at your bank. Seems to be around 35p per share just now.

I'm thinking of doing the same next month.

Hmm I wasn't aware my bank provided such a service. What are your views on the best way to go about it? What are your thoughts on obtaining shares via the RST?

Farrell1
25-05-2011, 23:11
Yeah it is something I am definitely really keen on. Do you know much about how best to go about it?

Not too sure, RST seems to be the most accesible route :cool:

DJ Blue
25-05-2011, 23:12
Hmm I wasn't aware my bank provided such a service. What are your views on the best way to go about it? What are your thoughts on obtaining shares via the RST?

Buying Shares is easy - phone up a Broker - plenty in Glasgow.

Give you details, Ask to Buy X Amount of shares, they'll give you the price inc. their commission and you'll get a share cert. and then a copy of the Annual results plus an Invite to the next AGM when it comes up.

westl
25-05-2011, 23:13
I purchased a share in the club through www.framedshare.co.uk ,which you then
register through www.registershare.com when you receive certificate

DJ Blue
25-05-2011, 23:16
Fill your Boots.

http://www.finder.co.uk/glasgow/Stockbrokers

Ayrgaza
25-05-2011, 23:17

Don't really know much about obtaining shares through the RST. I'll prob buy them through RBS or Halifax share dealing services.

menniet4
25-05-2011, 23:17

will bank not charge commission?

If the op is only after 1 share he maybe should look at RST, but if you are looking at getting about 100 shares maybe go to the official share trader, If you contact Ibrox they will give you the name of the company and phone number that they suggest you deal with.

ss87
25-05-2011, 23:22
Thanks DJ Blue.....you have been particularly helpful. I was actually just having a look on the Barclays Stockbrokers website.

Ayrgaza
25-05-2011, 23:31
Checked on the RBS site & it looks like it costs 15 per trade online or 1% if using the phone.

Ask in your local bank.

youngsy
25-05-2011, 23:31
I was interested in purchasing a small number of shares in Rangers and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to go about this.

In all honesty I am a bit clueless about the whole share buying process. I had a look on the PLUS markets website and I didn't find a great deal of information there.

I also had a look on the Rangers Supporter's Trust website and I see that they have a scheme whereby you pay a minimum of 10 per month which entitles you to an RST membership, and as I understand it means that you become a small shareholder.

Is it best to do it through the trust or to go it alone and buy from a broker? If it is the latter, how would I go about doing that?

If I was to obtain a small number of shares would that then entitle me to attend the AGM and receive information etc about Rangers (i.e. the pack due out by 6th June from Craig Whyte)?

I apologise if this is something that has been asked endlessly, but it is something I am keen to do and I figured this was a reasonable place to get some advice ;)

Just get in touch with any stockbroker anywhere in the country and they will do all the work for. After they obtain the amout of shares you are looking for they will charge you commission.

menniet4
25-05-2011, 23:43
Just get in touch with any stockbroker anywhere in the country and they will do all the work for. After they obtain the amout of shares you are looking for they will charge you commission.

If memory serves me right you also have to pay the Government 20 per trade

ttbluenose
26-05-2011, 12:55
Don't really know much about obtaining shares through the RST. I'll prob buy them through RBS or Halifax share dealing services.

Good idea.

Give money to the bank that helped nearly put us out of business (along with the Charlatan of course)

TheSnowman
26-05-2011, 13:10
First of all, join the RST. It does NOT cost you 10 a month. It costs you a 10 joining fee, and for that you get 1 share in Rangers.

After that, you will find it easier to buy as many shares as you like.

king ranger
26-05-2011, 13:20
The RST get there shares from Direct Shares 4 West Regent street.

blue216
26-05-2011, 13:28
There is not always a ready market in Rangers shares. Most purchases and sales of Rangers sales are conducted on a 'matched' basis. You can indicate the number of shares you want to buy but the broker can only get them if there is a seller who wants to dispose of that amount.

Most occasions, if you indicate you want to buy, for example, 100 shares, if the first seller available has 120 shares to sell, it is more than likely you will be offered the opportunity to buy all rather than a proportion. If the first seller only has 80, you have to make the decision to buy them all and then try to get another 20, or wait until another seller with the right number (or more) comes along.

Rangers shares are not traded with sufficient frequency that brokers will retain shares to meet potential purchases.

Bigfoot
26-05-2011, 13:29
If memory serves me right you also have to pay the Government 20 per trade

Stamp duty is 0.5% on all UK trades, you'll probablay have a broker fee too

Bigfoot
26-05-2011, 13:36
There is not always a ready market in Rangers shares. Most purchases and sales of Rangers sales are conducted on a 'matched' basis. You can indicate the number of shares you want to buy but the broker can only get them if there is a seller who wants to dispose of that amount.

Most occasions, if you indicate you want to buy, for example, 100 shares, if the first seller available has 120 shares to sell, it is more than likely you will be offered the opportunity to buy all rather than a proportion. If the first seller only has 80, you have to make the decision to buy them all and then try to get another 20, or wait until another seller with the right number (or more) comes along.

Rangers shares are not traded with sufficient frequency that brokers will retain shares to meet potential purchases.

You can usually state what kind of trade you want. eg. At best, Fill and Kill and limit trades make sure you know what you're doing before you book a trade.

Mistabig2006
26-05-2011, 13:37
First of all, join the RST. It does NOT cost you 10 a month. It costs you a 10 joining fee, and for that you get 1 share in Rangers.

After that, you will find it easier to buy as many shares as you like.

Problem is you'll need to wait for around a month for your 'welcome pack' to come through.

Gagga
26-05-2011, 14:42
The RST get there shares from Direct Shares 4 West Regent street.

Not any more they don't.

Sasa
26-05-2011, 14:49
Right so after reading this thread I got bored and decided to invest 100 of my dosh.

Did it through RBS and got charged 13.50.

I now own 169 shares in Tottenham Hotspur Football Club - did some searches but it couldn't find Rangers. It found Spurs and the tims because they are on the LSE but I think we are on a slightly more obscure market.

Ah well, see you at the AGM Harry. Unless you go to Chelsea.

Gagga
26-05-2011, 15:10
Right so after reading this thread I got bored and decided to invest 100 of my dosh.

Did it through RBS and got charged 13.50.

I now own 169 shares in Tottenham Hotspur Football Club - did some searches but it couldn't find Rangers. It found Spurs and the tims because they are on the LSE but I think we are on a slightly more obscure market.

Ah well, see you at the AGM Harry. Unless you go to Chelsea.

Rangers are on the PLUS Market.

RSCGMBHMMBW
26-05-2011, 15:14
COMPUTASHARE - 08708893109 - will sort you out on the phone if you don't want to go through the Trust.

menniet4
26-05-2011, 16:59

So what you are saying is their is no floating shares?

COMPUTASHARE - 08708893109 - will sort you out on the phone if you don't want to go through the Trust.
Do you know what kind of commission they charge?

marstonbear
26-05-2011, 17:36
So what you are saying is their is no floating shares?

Do you know what kind of commission they charge?

When I bought my only share about 15 years ago the commission was no more than a tenner. SDM then did a rights issue around 2005 & I took the opportunity to buy another share in my wife's name for 1 (no commission on that occasion)

TheSnowman
26-05-2011, 17:39
Problem is you'll need to wait for around a month for your 'welcome pack' to come through.

I wouldn't call that a problem.:confused::):)

Sasa
26-05-2011, 17:45
Rangers are on the PLUS Market.

Checked it - currently none available.

marstonbear
26-05-2011, 18:33
Checked it - currently none available.

Can't be right, some guy I'd never heard of before bought millions of them less than a month ago. Seller must have been desperate for cash as he let them go for 1 :D

ss87
26-05-2011, 19:11
I was just a bit reluctant to get them through the RST because having read their web page it is my understanding that when you pay money into the scheme the shares are issued in the trust name as opposed to my own. It does state that I can claim my "entitlement" at any time which would then put them in my name. This just seems a roundabout way to do it when essentially I am just looking to get a few shares so that I can get a certificate stating my status as a shareholder, as a bit of a keepsake.

If I was to join the RST, would a one-off fee actually get me any shares or would i need to pay into the GerSave scheme to accumulate shares?

If it is just a single share that I receive when I join the RST (as I believe someone mentioned earlier is the case), would I still be entitled to attend the AGM and receive information in the post etc?

I had a read on the RST site and taken a look at the FAQs, but I am still feeling a little unclear about certain things.

youngsy
26-05-2011, 19:15
I was just a bit reluctant to get them through the RST because having read their web page it is my understanding that when you pay money into the scheme the shares are issued in the trust name as opposed to my own. It does state that I can claim my "entitlement" at any time which would then put them in my name. This just seems a roundabout way to do it when essentially I am just looking to get a few shares so that I can get a certificate stating my status as a shareholder, as a bit of a keepsake.

If I was to join the RST, would a one-off fee actually get me any shares or would i need to pay into the GerSave scheme to accumulate shares?

If it is just a single share that I receive when I join the RST (as I believe someone mentioned earlier is the case), would I still be entitled to attend the AGM and receive information in the post etc?

I had a read on the RST site and taken a look at the FAQs, but I am still feeling a little unclear about certain things.
Do it on your own through a stockbroker. That way you don't have to worry about the holding of the shares.

Weebilly
26-05-2011, 19:45
If you buy through RST I'm sure the money will go to RFC as these are new shares. Any other method is for already issued shares and your money goes to the seller and therefore RFC don't benefit

Gunther Netzer
26-05-2011, 21:12
Proceed with caution and remember the price of the share value can go up and down.

scotts52
26-05-2011, 21:15
https://web33.secure-secure.co.uk/rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/secure/join.php

Farrell1
27-05-2011, 15:31
I too am interested in purchasing some shares in Rangers. I phoned the rangers ticket hotline today and spoke to an advisor about this, who informed me that an edinburgh based company called Stock Trade deals with their shares. I then phoned this company and spoke to another advisor. She said the Rangers shares as currently selling for 35 and this company would take 1% commission, with a minimun charge of 25 (basically a 25 fee untill you spend over 2500 on shares when the 1% charge kicks in).

This seems fairly straight forward, but I didn't think a share in Rangers would cost as much. Does anyone else have experience of buying shares privately, and have I been correctly informed with regards to the price per share?

Farrell1
27-05-2011, 15:35
I am looking to purchase some shares in Rangers. I have contacted Stock Trade who were recommended by an advisor at Rangers. I was quoted 35 per share with a 1% commission fee (25 minimum fee).

This seems fairly straight forward but I am surprised at the price per share as I thought it would be cheaper.

Have I been quoted correctly (or understood the advice)?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Mistabig2006
27-05-2011, 15:37
35 per share? Someone's trying to rip you off, Join the RST for 10 and get a share thrown in

Think the current price per share is 32p

Farrell1
27-05-2011, 15:38
The RST is something I have considered, but I want the share to be purchased in my own name. I was very surprised to hear a figure of 35!

thebluenosebear
27-05-2011, 15:42
The RST is something I have considered, but I want the share to be purchased in my own name. I was very surprised to hear a figure of 35!

The RST share is in your own name. If they spell it correctly that is :angel:

Mistabig2006
27-05-2011, 15:44
http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=769958

More info here

tyreprody
27-05-2011, 15:47
I am looking to purchase some shares in Rangers. I have contacted Stock Trade who were recommended by an advisor at Rangers. I was quoted 35 per share with a 1% commission fee (25 minimum fee).

This seems fairly straight forward but I am surprised at the price per share as I thought it would be cheaper.

Have I been quoted correctly (or understood the advice)?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Google framed share, thats where i got a share for my dad for fathers day for about 30 a couple of years ago.
That includes your brokers fees and you get a gift set and certificate.

Mistabig2006
27-05-2011, 15:48
A lot of trialists looking for shares, maybe reading too much into it

Farrell1
27-05-2011, 15:48
Google framed share, thats where i got a share for my dad for fathers day for about 30 a couple of years ago.
That includes your brokers fees and you get a gift set and certificate.

Do you get invited to AGM, and recieve information from the board (due 6th June I believe) if you only own 1 share?

stfu
27-05-2011, 15:49
I used this website.

http://www.share.com/a/index.html

Currently 32.5p per share

marstonbear
27-05-2011, 15:50
I too am interested in purchasing some shares in Rangers. I phoned the rangers ticket hotline today and spoke to an advisor about this, who informed me that an edinburgh based company called Stock Trade deals with their shares. I then phoned this company and spoke to another advisor. She said the Rangers shares as currently selling for 35 and this company would take 1% commission, with a minimun charge of 25 (basically a 25 fee untill you spend over 2500 on shares when the 1% charge kicks in).

This seems fairly straight forward, but I didn't think a share in Rangers would cost as much. Does anyone else have experience of buying shares privately, and have I been correctly informed with regards to the price per share?

Try ringing Ibrox again and asking for Craig Whyte - he's your man when it comes to buying shares in Rangers

marstonbear
27-05-2011, 15:52
Do you get invited to AGM, and recieve information from the board (due 6th June I believe) if you only own 1 share?

Yes, you get invited to the AGM.

However, you might be too late to get everything to go through in time so that you receive Whyte's info

M4CAD
27-05-2011, 16:02

I purchased my shares via this company with no problems what so ever!

ss87
28-05-2011, 16:01
I used this website.

http://www.share.com/a/index.html

Currently 32.5p per share

I just had a look on this website, which seems to be listing Rangers shares. I can't believe that the brokers recommended by Rangers themselves were quoting 35 per share when they are on this site for 32.5p.

I would be more inclined to get the shares through this company rather than the RST. I am in the same boat as the other poster looking for shares, in that I want them to be in my name, rather than in the name of the trust.