PDA

View Full Version : plenty of mercenaries who would love to manage this football club.

Bullseye
23-02-2011, 15:12
Ally McCoist admits he was fully aware of the difficult financial situation he will be working in when he agreed to become the next manager of Rangers.

Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain yesterday confirmed that McCoist, as had been widely expected, will succeed Walter Smith at the end of the current campaign.

The Gers strike legend, who has been assistant to Smith at the Govan club for the last four years, is delighted to be following in the footsteps of his long-term mentor.

But he is under no illusions about the magnitude of the task facing him in the hotseat given the well-documented money difficulties at Gers.

However, the 48-year-old has spoken to Bain at length about the conditions he will be working under – and has even identified a couple of potential signing targets.

He said: “We have been in this situation for some time. We’re all aware of that and know that the club is up for sale.

“In an ideal world we would have a buyer who could reinvest and the club could move forward, but that’s the situation and it didn’t affect my decision.

“I have not asked for any guarantees; I don’t think any guarantees can be given, to be brutally honest.

“We all know the financial restraints; at one point all the players were up for sale. We’re really in no better position. But Martin and I have identified one or two players who may be coming in.”

McCoist has been appointed at a time when speculation about the future ownership of Rangers is mounting.

Lanarkshire-born businessman Craig Whyte reached an agreement in principle with majority shareholder Sir David Murray in early December – but a formal offer has not been forthcoming.

Although there have been suggestions that such a deal could still be pushed through in the coming weeks, Bain denied the timing had any significance in respect to the future ownership of the club.

He said: “Takeovers have been discussed for some time and, while there has been activity, I cannot run this football club as chief executive waiting for something to happen.

“It’s business as usual for us and it’s very important that we get the key people in place for next year.

“I have got a duty to our supporters to let them know who will be in charge next season.”

Bain believes appointing a popular character like McCoist as manager can help unite the club at such a difficult time in their history.

He said: “Our club has gone through a very, very tough period. What can bring the club through a very difficult period is people who know the club inside out.

“Alistair knows the key personalities and the issues we face. Being positive about the situation, we have been successful, winning back-to-back championships.

“The fans will rally around if the circumstances are right. There are plenty of mercenaries who would love to manage this football club. With Ally coming in, we have somebody who loves and cares deeply about this football club.”

THEY SAID ...
Everybody sees the happy-go-lucky Ally but he’s one of the fiercest competitors I’ve come across. He fully understands the responsibilities of the job and the pressure that comes with it.

Steven Pressley

He was always laughing and joking when he was a player but when the games started he was deadly serious. He was determined to win. All the hilarity and carry-on went out the window. I’m in no doubt he’s ready to step into management and he will be very successful. The Rangers fans love him and he will do well. It’s a good move by the club.

Jorg Albertz

Everyone knows it isn’t an ideal situation at the club right now but when that’s the case you need someone who knows what Rangers are all about. Ally’s the perfect guy.

Alan McLaren

Coisty’s knowledge of the game was brilliant as a player and he’s clever. I just hope the club don’t hang him out to dry by not giving him money to spend.

Charlie Miller

When he arrived at Ibrox as a player he wasn’t too well thought of by the fans. To turn that around took a lot of determination and he’ll have that as a boss as well.

Kevin Drinkell

Aunty Christ
23-02-2011, 15:17
Bain's attempt to tell us all that he is running the club is pathetic. Its an out of control juggernaut and Bain's clinging on to the exhaust pipe.

Pavarotti
23-02-2011, 15:33
I would loved to see who would have applied for the Managers job IF it wasn't already taken. :roll:

ulsterbearinbath
23-02-2011, 15:52
I would loved to see who would have applied for the Managers job IF it wasn't already taken. :roll:

This c**t would definitely have put himself forward in the press

http://gfx.aftonbladet.se/multimedia/archive/00137/SPORT-06s999overfal_137331w.jpg

WeeBudsBud
23-02-2011, 17:20

I`ve said this many times.

WHEN we advertise for a new manager, it will depend on who is looking at the time.

Regardless of our predicament, we are still a major attraction to any manager.

I think people would be surprised at the quality of applicants.

alloabear
23-02-2011, 17:32
when you seen mccoist pulling up gazza in the cup final for instance, you do see a guy looking to win. the guy is a winner.

whether he gets the tools to be a winner as manager is another thing entirely