PDA

View Full Version : The Culture of Standing as an Away Support

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 04:42
Let me start by stating that I am in no way commending scum fans for their conduct at any games, but 3-4 years ago their support didn't even stand at Ibrox, let alone any other away games.

It has been clear watching highlights of their games over the last 2 years that they have developed a culture of staying on their feet at each and every away game they play. This was obvious tonight at Hamilton for example.

Why, in that case, do we insist on sitting down at almost every away ground we visit? It seems unless we are away in Europe, or at Parkhead or Pittodrie, that when the first whistle blows, everyone sits down. I find this extremely frustrating when all I want to do at venues like Easter Road, Tynecastle and Tannadice, is be on my feet and backing the team. I feel that standing does a lot for the atmosphere at these grounds.

I appreciate the point that some will make about older fans finding it hard to stand for 90 minutes, but surely 90 minutes is 90 minutes wherever you are? So why is it perfectly achievable to be up on your feet for 90 minutes at certain grounds if it's not achievable at others?

It seems that recently, more bears have been remaining on their feet at ICT away, and at Motherwell on Boxing Day. This is encouraging, but what do other FFers think about our support at away games? I feel that at the big away fixtures our support is second to none, but this is clearly connected to the fact that every bear stands for 90 minutes at these big games. Can we extend this to wherever we travel?

WBD
13-01-2011, 05:06
Maybe at certain grounds there is more drink involved, making some less concerned about offending anyone behind them? I know there have been games I have been at and praying for those in front of me to stand up so I could have excuse of having to stand up

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 05:12
Maybe at certain grounds there is more drink involved, making some less concerned about offending anyone behind them? I know there have been games I have been at and praying for those in front of me to stand up so I could have excuse of having to stand up

This is certainly an issue. I think the filth don't really care what impact their behaviour has on those around them, so if they want to stand, they will. We have standards unlike them, so we'll consider other people's wishes first.

I know personally I wouldn't like to offend those around me, so I don't usually take the first move in standing. I suppose if the whole stand is full of people like me then no-one will take the initiative. I agree with you, if I am near the front then I am hoping those in front will stand so I can have an excuse. If I'm near the back then I check what the rows behind me are doing - if they are up on their feet then I know I won't be blocking anyone by doing likewise. I just hate watching them having a full stand on their feet when we can't seem to do the same.

My point, I guess, is that at Parkhead or at European trips, it isn't even a consideration, it goes without saying that no-one will sit down. So why is it the norm in domestic games that everyone WILL sit down UNLESS there is a big movement otherwise?

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 22:08
Looks like this fell down the board last night - wee bump for anyone else's views on this.

ICM
13-01-2011, 22:16
With regards to the taigs, the gb have undoubtedly had a big impact on their away support in recent years which is clearly evident...especially at last night's shitiest away fixture. As you say, they stood for the 90.

Unless its one of the better away days, a 'one-off' occassion or the Piggery/Europe then we sit in almost silence. The only way to change this is to take responsibility for yourself and stand and get behind the team.

Excuses are only that.

adam-1690-rfc
13-01-2011, 22:19
Tbf the last few away games i've been at ive been standing. Inverness and Motherwell, we stood for 90 minutes and the atmospheres were pretty decent :cool:.

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 22:19
With regards to the taigs, the gb have undoubtedly had a big impact on their away support in recent years which is clearly evident...especially at last night's shitiest away fixture. As you say, they stood for the 90.

Unless its one of the better away days, a 'one-off' occassion or the Piggery/Europe then we sit in almost silence. The only way to change this is to take responsibility for yourself and stand and get behind the team.

Excuses are only that.

Very difficult though when you are being shouted down from behind, and it's just maybe 3 mates trying to take that initiative.

At the derby game at Ibrox just there, I was in the main stand and me and my pal stood up when Rangers got a corner. Needless to say the entire section started shouting and bawling at us to sit on our arses.:mad:

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 22:22
Tbf the last few away games i've been at ive been standing. Inverness and Motherwell, we stood for 90 minutes and the atmospheres were pretty decent :cool:.

I mentioned that in the OP. Hopefully that's the start of a shift in thinking towards more standing.

I will be at Easter Road in a fortnight's time so we'll see how that plays out. My last visit to Easter Road I was in the upper tier and the whole tier sat in silence for almost the whole game.

ICM
13-01-2011, 22:37
You should know better than to pick a seat in the main stand then!

:)

For every three or four grumpy arses, thre will be one guy who wants to stand and sing but wont on his own. Its up to all of us who want to back the team at every game to take the initiative and hopefully more will want to do the same.

With regards to home games, stop being bored shitless on your arse and get in contact with one of the two fan groups, it'll be worth it.

theresaweespotineurope
13-01-2011, 22:43
I agree mate it's heartbreaking tbh but I'm encouraged by the amount of people now taking issue with this. I for one go to all away games with the intention of standing but unfortunately all it takes is one tap on the shoulder for my plans to go out the window.

People have a right to sit at the football I just wish the people who wanted to stand had the same freedom of choice.

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 22:48
You should know better than to pick a seat in the main stand then!

:)

For every three or four grumpy arses, thre will be one guy who wants to stand and sing but wont on his own. Its up to all of us who want to back the team at every game to take the initiative and hopefully more will want to do the same.

With regards to home games, stop being bored shitless on your arse and get in contact with one of the two fan groups, it'll be worth it.

This is probably the first thing I'd do if I got a Season Ticket again, but at the moment I'm stuck in London and unable to make enough games to make it worthwhile. I stood in with TBO at a game towards the end of the 08 season, where Rangers did that "Make a Difference" campaign when you could transfer your ST seat into BF4 for 1 or 2 games to join in. Really enjoyed it and would have no hesitation in getting involved when I get my next ST.

london_bluenose
13-01-2011, 23:00
I agree mate it's heartbreaking tbh but I'm encouraged by the amount of people now taking issue with this. I for one go to all away games with the intention of standing but unfortunately all it takes is one tap on the shoulder for my plans to go out the window.

People have a right to sit at the football I just wish the people who wanted to stand had the same freedom of choice.

You are right, I think more and more folk now remain standing until told otherwise at the away games, whereas this time last year it seemed automatic that as soon as the ref started the game, everyone would slump down as one.

It was encouraging to have the whole Broomloan Front on its feet throughout the Champions League games this season as well.

numberoneallover
13-01-2011, 23:04
safe standing must be put in place - infact it should be thought of before all this 10 team/14 team SPL question.

you would get more fans back if the football day will be a good and decent day/night out...along with prices being lowered

Aunty Christ
13-01-2011, 23:05
If we had safe standing areas then we could cater for everyone's taste. Too simple I suppose unless Henry Mcleish thinks of it first.

High Society
14-01-2011, 00:26
sit AND sing what's the problem? I'm one of the "older fans" who finds it tough standing for 90 mins and sitting also means we can ALL see the game including my wee pal and the kids who are there.
I'm paying for a seat not a terracing. Sit on yer asses and sing or clap or jump up periodically ya selfish shower of young fit blue-nose bassas!
And while we're at it don't EVER justify anything by coppying that shower of moaning bassas from Breezeblock Boulevard.
AND while I'm on a roll it would be even better if you all stopped singing effin songs that get us bad publicity, learn the right words and don't degrade our club. We've got Every other Sat, Derry's Walls with no swearing, the marvellous Penny Arcade and countless others. Start behaving properly and leave the pish to the other mob.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 00:35
sit AND sing what's the problem? I'm one of the "older fans" who finds it tough standing for 90 mins and sitting also means we can ALL see the game including my wee pal and the kids who are there.
I'm paying for a seat not a terracing. Sit on yer asses and sing or clap or jump up periodically ya selfish shower of young fit blue-nose bassas!
And while we're at it don't EVER justify anything by coppying that shower of moaning bassas from Breezeblock Boulevard.
AND while I'm on a roll it would be even better if you all stopped singing effin songs that get us bad publicity, learn the right words and don't degrade our club. We've got Every other Sat, Derry's Walls with no swearing, the marvellous Penny Arcade and countless others. Start behaving properly and leave the pish to the other mob.

Err, OK. Slightly presumptuous posting to say the least. I fail to spot anywhere in the thread where I encourage us all to behave like morons.

I made it quite clear in the OP that I don't want to commend the scum, but there are plenty of us who find it frustrating when their hordes are on their feet all the time and we're not.

If you are "one of the "older fans" who finds it tough standing for 90 mins", do you attend games at parkhead or pittodrie, and if so surely you manage to stand through these matches? You must surely admit that the atmospheres at these venues are 1,000 x better than any venues where the travelling support sit down. There is a big connection there.

NDiayes Shinpads
14-01-2011, 00:37
The GB have a far bigger influence than any Rangers groups do. The tarrier support have really taken to them, it'd be nice to see the same happen at Rangers.

craig_ryan
14-01-2011, 00:41
More tickets to rsc's would help imo

Johnny Cash
14-01-2011, 00:45
The GB have a far bigger influence than any Rangers groups do. The tarrier support have really taken to them, it'd be nice to see the same happen at Rangers.

But the GB are absolute scum, i would hate to see a group the same as them at Ibrox. I got a close look at the GB at the game on the 2nd, they are all about 15-18, wee fannys who dont have a clue about what they are on about. left wing students i think a few around me said thats what they looked like. I for one would hate to see the same at Ibrox, wee pr!cks who are up themselfs, they sing about all this violence and things well out of their league when really they couldnt throw a punch between them. Leave the Ultas to Italy etc.. its not a British thing to do, its laughable when these tunes with no words tried to get started.

theresaweespotineurope
14-01-2011, 00:52
But the GB are absolute scum, i would hate to see a group the same as them at Ibrox. I got a close look at the GB at the game on the 2nd, they are all about 15-18, wee fannys who dont have a clue about what they are on about. left wing students i think a few around me said thats what they looked like. I for one would hate to see the same at Ibrox, wee pr!cks who are up themselfs, they sing about all this violence and things well out of their league when really they couldnt throw a punch between them. Leave the Ultas to Italy etc.. its not a British thing to do, its laughable when these tunes with no words tried to get started.

I agree with a lot of what you say, although this thread is about us standing singing and shouldn't be compared to the GB they didn't start it, infact you will be hard pushed to find a sitting down away support south of the border. Leave them to sing their shite stolen foreign tunes while we stand, sing and do the bouncy.

Surely we can stand at the football without pretending to be ultras.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 00:56
I agree with a lot of what you say, although this thread is about us standing singing and shouldn't be compared to the GB they didn't start it, infact you will be hard pushed to find a sitting down away support south of the border. Leave them to sing their shite stolen foreign tunes while we stand, sing and do the bouncy.

Surely we can stand at the football without pretending to be ultras.

I think all of the big away followings in the Premiership stand wherever they go. Teams like Fulham, Wigan etc don't do this. But I agree with you here, the GB are the group that has resulted in all the filth fans standing at away games.

We should be able to achieve the same result without resorting to being a shower of laughable scumbags.

Idioteque
14-01-2011, 00:57

Tbh, i'd agree with that.

I appreciate the efforts of supporters groups in bringing atmoshpere to dull games (and IMO its improved greatly) but the culture in Scottish/British football is way too different from Italy etc and its not something that can be changed.

P2PRFC
14-01-2011, 00:59
Hate it when having to sit at away games. Standing always makes a better atmosphere.

Also hate having to sit during scum games at ibrox

NDiayes Shinpads
14-01-2011, 00:59

Regardless of politics, or ability to throw a punch, the tarriers support is far better in terms of atmosphere now because their support as a whole has taken the GB's influence on board by joining the group/joining in with singing etc.

jardine
14-01-2011, 01:09
its a lot better standing at games. i just wish we could have these safe standing areas that have been mentioned as this is the onky way for it to be done properly as our support have a lot of grumps in it who moan the minute anyone stands up unless its to go for a pie.

theresaweespotineurope
14-01-2011, 01:13
Regardless of politics, or ability to throw a punch, the tarriers support is far better in terms of atmosphere now because their support as a whole has taken the GB's influence on board by joining the group/joining in with singing etc.

TBH I'd sadly agree with this aswell, now is the time for us to fight back, stand up and be counted the team needs us as much as we need them.

Although we are more loyal than the tramps in times of touble we are not as loud at the moment. This needs to change. That is unless people are prepared to go on with us having the second best support in terms of atmosphere in Scotland. And before anyone jumps on me for daring to mention this then I'd suggest they stop turning a blind eye, the sooner we ALL realise we need to make a bit more of an effort the better IMO.

Johnny Cash
14-01-2011, 01:19
Im all for standing at away games, going mental singing etc.. but not in the same fashion as what the tarriers do. I dont want to be anything like them, i dont like being compared to them, i will glady sing, the billy boys, followfollow, any rangers song and any loyalist song at the football. But im not into singing 'Depeche Mode' or some ultras chant that they have heard on Youtube or Eurosport from some foreign ultra outfit. Not my scene. Does no one realise how daft they looked at that game against Berwick Rangers?

AllyAdair
14-01-2011, 01:31
Johnny as daft as they looked, we are once again talking about them! Sick of people trying to make our support more like them! remember at parkhead? We outsang them with absolute ease! we have the best away support in Britain IMO!

Johnny Cash
14-01-2011, 01:34
Ally i know we do. Im sick hearing about the GB and what they are upto, and how we should be more like them. Id rather shag my own gran than act like those c,unts.

theresaweespotineurope
14-01-2011, 01:36
Johnny as daft as they looked, we are once again talking about them! Sick of people trying to make our support more like them! remember at parkhead? We outsang them with absolute ease! we have the best away support in Britain IMO!

If our support was judged on games against the tarriers away and shitodrie then yes I'd agree with you but it's not, the team need us for the games against hamilton and the likes just as much.

We no doubt have one of the largest away supports in the UK but to say we have the loudest wouldn't be true IMO.

Like I said the sooner we realise we need to change the atmosphere at our games the better.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 01:37
Ally i know we do. Im sick hearing about the GB and what they are upto, and how we should be more like them. Id rather shag my own gran than act like those c,unts.

As I said I totally agree. It wasn't me who mentioned the GB, and I couldn't really care less about them. We shouldn't need to act like them in order to improve the atmosphere at less "glamorous" away games.

Royal Burgh Fanatic
14-01-2011, 01:41
As I said I totally agree. It wasn't me who mentioned the GB, and I couldn't really care less about them. We shouldn't need to act like them in order to improve the atmosphere at less "glamorous" away games.

You never mentioned them but you mentioned the sea change in the Tardelli support, this is down to the influence the GB are having, there is no getting away from that.

Hopefully we'll see a reaction from the Bears.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 01:45
You never mentioned them but you mentioned the sea change in the Tardelli support, this is down to the influence the GB are having, there is no getting away from that.

Hopefully we'll see a reaction from the Bears.

I accept that. It didn't immediately occur to me that the GB had driven this shift. I wonder how they've done it though?

From what I see at away venues, TBO/UB etc try their hardest to get everyone up and singing, so what is it that the GB have done that successfully got everyone else in the stand to partake? Did they put themselves in the front couple of rows for away games and refuse to sit down, forcing everyone else behind them to stay standing? Did they have people running up and down the aisles shouting at everyone to get up?

Johnny Cash
14-01-2011, 01:48
Thinking about it though, ive been to most away games this season and i think i have stood at every game bar 1 or 2.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 01:57
Thinking about it though, ive been to most away games this season and i think i have stood at every game bar 1 or 2.

That's a positive. I was at Tynecastle in October and we were 1-0 down for about an hour at a tough venue, everyone around me was sat on their arse, even when we got an equaliser with 10 minutes to go.

It made me think - that is the sort of game where the team need our backing and for the small amount of effort it takes to stay on your feet, surely it makes for a more enjoyable experience to do that.

DJ Blue
14-01-2011, 01:59

Each Season ticket Holder should have an equal chance of getting away tickets wether they are in a Supporters Club or not.

DJ Blue
14-01-2011, 02:01
That's a positive. I was at Tynecastle in October and we were 1-0 down for about an hour at a tough venue, everyone around me was sat on their arse, even when we got an equaliser with 10 minutes to go.

It made me think - that is the sort of game where the team need our backing and for the small amount of effort it takes to stay on your feet, surely it makes for a more enjoyable experience to do that.

Tynecastle isn't a good example, It must be one of the steepest stands in the SPL.

theresaweespotineurope
14-01-2011, 02:01

You have been lucky then mate because I have been sitting at st mirren, hamilton, tynecastle, and motherwell so far this year.

P2PRFC
14-01-2011, 02:06
Tynecastle isn't a good example, It must be one of the steepest stands in the SPL.

Considering we stood up in valencia i dont really think thats a excuse

Johnny Cash
14-01-2011, 02:07
You have been lucky then mate because I have been sitting at st mirren, hamilton, tynecastle, and motherwell so far this year.

i was standing at motherwell and tynecastle. i was in the rear for m/well and in far away block from our turnstyles at tynie. stood full game singing etc..

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 02:09
i was standing at motherwell and tynecastle. i was in the rear for m/well and in far away block from our turnstyles at tynie. stood full game singing etc..

I was also in the furthest block away from our turnstiles at Tynecastle, right up against their Wheatfield Stand, about half way up. We were all seated.

Royal Burgh Fanatic
14-01-2011, 02:14
I accept that. It didn't immediately occur to me that the GB had driven this shift. I wonder how they've done it though?

From what I see at away venues, TBO/UB etc try their hardest to get everyone up and singing, so what is it that the GB have done that successfully got everyone else in the stand to partake? Did they put themselves in the front couple of rows for away games and refuse to sit down, forcing everyone else behind them to stay standing? Did they have people running up and down the aisles shouting at everyone to get up?

My take on it is that they had an easier run at it over the last few seasons as they failed to sell out many away games and were able to group up in decent numbers and lead the atmosphere thus earning a respect among the travelling Tims that UB's/TBO don't have with our away support. After a few months of 'making a difference' at away games vocally more and more Tims got onboard with their 'mentality'.

I also think that our away support has too many older guys and wummin (there I've said it) compared to theirs who just aren't up for it, no doubt there will be the usual ostritch response of 'our away support is second to none' or 'have you ever been to Aberdeen/the Piggery etc' meanwhile that mob can get their support going for St. Mirren, Accies or St. Johnstone etc on a midweek to a level we struggle to reach at Tynecastle or Easter Rd at the weekend and for as long as our support are in denial we're onto plums as far as changing things goes.

westwoodrsc_gm
14-01-2011, 02:24

Im sorry mate but did your father or grandfather sit down at the football?? back in the day it didnt matter how old they were, they went, they stood, and they sang their hearts out.

When in form we have the best away support in the UK by far. The songs that are made spur of the moment are second to none (i.e hartson wheres your wife, .....shes gettin shagged in the valleys:D).

Every game I see the mhanks away I always look to see if they are standing and I cant remember the last time I looked and they were sat down. Anyone who thinks that standing doesnt improve atmosphere is talking p1sh, not saying you were mate , but when people stand - they sing.

And as for behaving ourselfs and copying the tims, who said we were copying them? Almost every away support in britain stands and as the op said we only seem to do it in the big big games. whyyyyy??? If everyone stands the stewards dont say a word - stand, sing, back the team.....and as for behaving ourselfs......what the **** is wrong with going to the game, singing and having a jump about to the majid bougherra song :cool:;)

The quicker we get sfae standing at ibrox the better, but our away support has to get the finger out starting at hearts next saturday.

P.S of the away gmaes this season ...
hibs - stood up (back row of front section)
hamilton - sat down
sheep - stood up
hearts - half standing/half stood up.
tims - stood up
st midden - sat down
killie - sat down
ict - stood up
motherwell - stood up, which is a step in rite direction cos its one of shittest away games

so roughly 50% standing up - how i crave for that to be 100

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 02:30
My take on it is that they had an easier run at it over the last few seasons as they failed to sell out many away games and were able to group up in decent numbers and lead the atmosphere thus earning a respect among the travelling Tims that UB's/TBO don't have with our away support. After a few months of 'making a difference' at away games vocally more and more Tims got onboard with their 'mentality'.

I also think that our away support has too many older guys and wummin (there I've said it) compared to theirs who just aren't up for it, no doubt there will be the usual ostritch response of 'our away support is second to none' or 'have you ever been to Aberdeen/the Piggery etc' meanwhile that mob can get their support going for St. Mirren, Accies or St. Johnstone etc on a midweek to a level we struggle to reach at Tynecastle or Easter Rd at the weekend and for as long as our support are in denial we're onto plums as far as changing things goes.

I can't disagree with a single word of that.

We need to replicate the sort of experience you get at the Piggery when we go through to Edinburgh - the team need our backing at these difficult grounds.

jimmyhm
14-01-2011, 02:30
its a lot better standing at games. i just wish we could have these safe standing areas that have been mentioned as this is the onky way for it to be done properly as our support have a lot of grumps in it who moan the minute anyone stands up unless its to go for a pie.

For those that want to stand - and there are quite a few - I advocate standing areas as they have a lot of plusses. (sp?) However, I cannot stand for 30 mins so places where one can see whilst sitting are essential for me.

purdy1985
14-01-2011, 04:40
the recent motherwell game was a funny one , with the middle sitting down , but the two side sections of the lower south stand standing for 90min

Elite81
14-01-2011, 05:09
I hate it when you're standing, and you turn around just to make sure everyone behind you is standing, and you notice the fella behind you is sitting and actually straining his neck to see around you.

You know he's just too polite to ask you to sit down and probably because he doesn't want any aggro. You then have to decide do I carry on standing, or do the decent thing and sit down.

And of course, you do the decent thing, because my mother brought me up like that. Secretly cursing your luck that he got tickets directly behind you.

WBD
14-01-2011, 05:24
And of course, you do the decent thing, because my mother brought me up like that. Secretly cursing your luck that he got tickets directly behind you.As Aswad said 'don't turn around'

Bonhill Bill
14-01-2011, 07:16

If ye did that you would be one of they c,unts :D

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 07:31
I hate it when you're standing, and you turn around just to make sure everyone behind you is standing, and you notice the fella behind you is sitting and actually straining his neck to see around you.

You know he's just too polite to ask you to sit down and probably because he doesn't want any aggro. You then have to decide do I carry on standing, or do the decent thing and sit down.

And of course, you do the decent thing, because my mother brought me up like that. Secretly cursing your luck that he got tickets directly behind you.

Pretty much.

Or the guy who tugged me by the back of my jacket 30 seconds into the League Cup Final against the scum 2 years ago, it must have been his way of telling me to sit down.

And before you ask, this wasn't an oldie who might have found it hard to stand for the game, he was pushing 30 at the most.

rab_gascoigne_8
14-01-2011, 08:38
Text campaign urging all people who go to the games to stand and back the team would be effective in my opinion but im not to good with inspirational words, anybody fancy giving it a go?

chucknorris
14-01-2011, 10:34
I can't disagree with a single word of that.

We need to replicate the sort of experience you get at the Piggery when we go through to Edinburgh - the team need our backing at these difficult grounds.

Easter Road and Tynecastle were arguably the best atmospheres last season

The 27th December game at Hibs (party through half time too) and the March (I think) at Tynecastle

Number_Eight
14-01-2011, 10:51
Those who want to sit on the seat they have paid for don't appreciate people standing and blocking their view.

Apart from anything else, it's disrespectful to fellow supporters.

Win the argument about bringing terraces back and then stand. Until then, it's best for all concerned if people use the seats for sitting on.

Coop711
14-01-2011, 10:56
we should stand at every away game.

craig_ryan
14-01-2011, 10:58
Easter Road and Tynecastle were arguably the best atmospheres last season

The 27th December game at Hibs (party through half time too) and the March (I think) at Tynecastle

The Hearts one in particular was a cracking atmosphere. Outwith Celtic games that is the one game that sticks in my mind where we sang for the full 90 minutes.

Coop711
14-01-2011, 11:05
Those who want to sit on the seat they have paid for don't appreciate people standing and blocking their view.

Win the argument about bringing terraces back and then stand. Until then, it's best for all concerned if people use the seats for sitting on.

deary me......... you sound like a bundle of fun at away games

RoscoRanger
14-01-2011, 11:11
I totally agree. I go to every away game and when I walk and everybody is sitting it does ma head in.

Standing consists of Celtic, Sheep, Sections at Hearts/Hibs/Motherwell but the rest we are seated.

Standing all the way for me!

Coop711
14-01-2011, 11:24
I totally agree. I go to every away game and when I walk and everybody is sitting it does ma head in.

Standing consists of Celtic, Sheep, Sections at Hearts/Hibs/Motherwell but the rest we are seated.

Standing all the way for me!

absolutely mate.

It's a man's game - we're all men and capable of standing to watch a game.

Stand EVERY time !!!

hemelbear
14-01-2011, 11:29
a few times the folk behind us have asked us to sit down and i have told my mates to remain standing usually end up standing onmy own

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 11:38
deary me......... you sound like a bundle of fun at away games

Thing is though he is technically correct - who are we to block an elderly fan's view of the game?

That's the difficult part though, for every supporter who has a valid reason not to be able to stand, there will be 5 or 6 who just can't be arsed with the effort, and that's what annoys me.

Coop711
14-01-2011, 11:44
Thing is though he is technically correct - who are we to block an elderly fan's view of the game?

That's the difficult part though, for every supporter who has a valid reason not to be able to stand, there will be 5 or 6 who just can't be arsed with the effort, and that's what annoys me.

how many elderly fans do we have at away games who are genuinely unable to stand to watch the game ????!. I'd say about a handful. I think we aggagerate this a bit. Let them down the front if need be. I've no problem with that.

Agreed - the ones who can't be arsed are the real problem though.

Care Bear_1873
14-01-2011, 11:47

People like you are what ruin the atmosphere at ibrox and some away games, man up and support your team ffs instead of sitting on your arse moaning like women.

WATP

napierblue
14-01-2011, 11:53
Would we be able to follow what we do when we are away in europe and not pay attention to the seat on ur ticket? That way people that want to stand start from the back and work there way down, and folk that want to sit start at the front so that no1 blocks there view.

Coop711
14-01-2011, 11:54
People like you are what ruin the atmosphere at ibrox and some away games, man up and support your team ffs instead of sitting on your arse moaning like women.

WATP

have to agree with this

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 12:09
Would we be able to follow what we do when we are away in europe and not pay attention to the seat on ur ticket? That way people that want to stand start from the back and work there way down, and folk that want to sit start at the front so that no1 blocks there view.

If RFC were willing to assist, we could allocate tickets like that based on people's preferences.

Unfortunately:
1. Standing at matches is strictly speaking against the H&S Certificate so RFC could never encourage it.
2. The other teams now allocate direct to Rangers a lot of the time so this couldn't be taken into consideration.

It would seem the sensible solution though.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 15:44
how many elderly fans do we have at away games who are genuinely unable to stand to watch the game ????!. I'd say about a handful. I think we aggagerate this a bit. Let them down the front if need be. I've no problem with that.

Agreed - the ones who can't be arsed are the real problem though.

It is only a small number, but they still have to be considered. Why is it OK to stand at Parkhead but impossible at other places? This is what confuses me.

theresaweespotineurope
14-01-2011, 15:50
It is only a small number, but they still have to be considered. Why is it OK to stand at Parkhead but impossible at other places? This is what confuses me.

Simple answer, the old guys who get all tired and need to sit down against all other SPL teams apart from sellick and abergreen suddenly get all giddy and excited when we visit the toilet and shittodrie so they manage to stand at these venues.

Put them in front of Hamilton V Rangers and they can't be bothered backing their team.

Or have they got some other explanation because that's the only logical reason I can think of.

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 15:52
Simple answer, the old guys who get all tired and need to sit down against all other SPL teams apart from sellick and abergreen suddenly get all giddy and excited when we visit the toilet and shittodrie so they manage to stand at these venues.

Put them in front of Hamilton V Rangers and they can't be bothered backing their team.

Or have they got some other explanation because that's the only logical reason I can think of.

It's either that or they don't attend Parkhead and Pittodrie, and to be fair there are a few of the older crowd that I know won't go to these games because it's too rowdy.

Ulster_Ger
14-01-2011, 15:59
Is there any way we could try and organise 22nd jan at Tynecastle game as a "standing game"? pass word to mates who are going etc etc?

london_bluenose
14-01-2011, 16:02
Is there any way we could try and organise 22nd jan at Tynecastle game as a "standing game"? pass word to mates who are going etc etc?

26th Jan at Easter Road as well I think - not only will I be in attendance then, but 7:45 KO means more folk will have had a swally and surely will have their vocal chords loosened.

london_bluenose
18-01-2011, 20:06
There seem to have been an increase in threads about this over the last couple of weeks.

With the upcoming double header in Edinburgh, what do people think?

theresaweespotineurope
18-01-2011, 20:15
There seem to have been an increase in threads about this over the last couple of weeks.

With the upcoming double header in Edinburgh, what do people think?

I've been trying to get something going on this thread mate, http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=725330 but there seems to be little interest, looks like the majority are prepared to accept a shite away support outwith 4 games a season. Tried to set up a bit of a text campaign to make everyone aware we intend to stand but it looks like its failed miserably.

london_bluenose
18-01-2011, 20:51
I've been trying to get something going on this thread mate, http://forum.*****************/showthread.php?t=725330 but there seems to be little interest, looks like the majority are prepared to accept a shite away support outwith 4 games a season. Tried to set up a bit of a text campaign to make everyone aware we intend to stand but it looks like its failed miserably.

In our defence we are never shite at Tynecastle. It's usually one of the best atmospheres of the season when we are there, that's what makes it so frustrating to have to sit down, the last thing I am considering doing at Tynecastle is sitting on my arse, but I've been there twice in the last year and had little choice.

london_bluenose
22-07-2011, 16:05
I thought I'd bump this thread as the New Season Approaches.

I was in Blackpool on Tuesday night and a great night was had by all - nobody even considered sitting down. However it is 100% certain that in 8 days at McDiarmid Park, everyone will sit down a matter of seconds after the first whistle. It is bizarre that we seem willing to stand at give it laldy at a totally meaningless game, but in what is a far more important match where the team needs our support, we will most likely revert to type.

I think we have seen a small shift in the support over the last 6 months - almost everyone stands at Tannadice now, for example, and the Cup Final in March was one of the best atmospheres for years. Does anyone think that with the arrival of Mr Whyte, and the large expansion of TBO/UB, we will see much of a change this coming season?

Jelle1880
22-07-2011, 16:08
To be fair, it's not just them but most away supports in the UK.

Rossph1
22-07-2011, 16:11
It seems to me that if everyone is excited enough about a game, the away end will stand.

There's a certain arrogance about some people with regards to standing though. Just because some people wish to sit, apparently they're not real fans in some people's eyes, which isn't a fair view at all.

paulb1912
22-07-2011, 16:22

How do you work that out

london_bluenose
22-07-2011, 16:26
How do you work that out

Mates standing and singing together. It does help.

The Cup Final in March was a far lower CCCS uptake and much larger RSC allocations - our club got 8 instead of the 1 we got for the 2009 Final. I think that made a massive difference to the crowd at the game.

P2PRFC
22-07-2011, 16:28
Once again at Blackpool everyone standing and what a difference it makes

london_bluenose
22-07-2011, 16:29
Once again at Blackpool everyone standing and what a difference it makes

What a day it was. :D
That Barcelona 72 song for about 30 minutes straight throughout the 2nd half was magic.

hunter1rfc
i wish we could stand at away games much better sadly unless its celtic aberdeen hearts we will be sittin on our arse

rosstheger
I haven't been to an away game where everyone stood.

The Cup Final was terrific.

williewoodburn
22-07-2011, 16:38
It is a lot better standing. I couldnt agree more....and it in the old days it was perfectly safe to do so, most of the time.

However, having been involved in a few crushes in my time I can understand completely why the regulations changed. Seating allows plenty space to stand but that does not give a proper perspective of the safety issues. Those who have never stood at a capacity game in the past will not realise how safe and slow the exodus of exiting fans is nowadays, by comparision with the headlong break for the exits in days gone by. The forward mass surge in a cloud of dust following a goal, grimly hanging onto your carry-out or rapidly extricating your knob from your McEwans can is an experience known only to the 45 plus.

Safe standing areas could and should be designed into modern grounds but the emphasis has to be on appropriate safe design. This would return spectator choice.

The better view and atmosphere presented by standing cannot be questioned and lets face it some seating arrangements are uncomfortable. But these are not the issues. Seating is there for your safety, not necessarily comfort. Many fans need to/must sit through no fault of their own and their game experience can be ruined by inconsiderates blocking their view. Children cannot see over an adult. Adults resort to kids on shoulders, feckin things up even for the standers behind. Once choice has been introduced back into football, but only then, should you consider standing. Fans who need to sit will go to the seats whilst others will opt to stand. Thats the way it should be.
So remember, all-seating was introduced for safety reasons, your safety, my safety. Stand in front of me, block my view, and I'll ask you politely to sit. Refuse and I'll call a steward. That is my right and not yours to question.

You will be an old bastard one day, not as far away as you think. Then you will understand.

briggs_bear
22-07-2011, 16:42
Hopefully this season there will be more standing at away games, has to be for the atmosphere to improve.

BannsideBear
22-07-2011, 16:44
I haven't been to an away game where everyone stood.

The Cup Final was terrific.

Sadly that wasn't the case where we sat. A few guys around us were getting called all sorts because they had the audacity to stand at a Cup Final against the Tarriers. We were seated in the North Stand too.

tomrose9
22-07-2011, 16:53
Standing is a must for away games if we want to win the league this year. The whole country is against us, but if we can show the team what decent support is they will respond!

We stand at England away. Really adds to the atmosphere. Even the old ones too!

hunter1rfc
22-07-2011, 16:53
Sadly that wasn't the case where we sat. A few guys around us were getting called all sorts because they had the audacity to stand at a Cup Final against the Tarriers. We were seated in the North Stand too.

i was in the west couldn't believe the north stand was sitting mate

london_bluenose
22-07-2011, 17:02
It is a lot better standing. I couldnt agree more....and it in the old days it was perfectly safe to do so, most of the time.

However, having been involved in a few crushes in my time I can understand completely why the regulations changed. Seating allows plenty space to stand but that does not give a proper perspective of the safety issues. Those who have never stood at a capacity game in the past will not realise how safe and slow the exodus of exiting fans is nowadays, by comparision with the headlong break for the exits in days gone by. The forward mass surge in a cloud of dust following a goal, grimly hanging onto your carry-out or rapidly extricating your knob from your McEwans can is an experience known only to the 45 plus.

Safe standing areas could and should be designed into modern grounds but the emphasis has to be on appropriate safe design. This would return spectator choice.

The better view and atmosphere presented by standing cannot be questioned and lets face it some seating arrangements are uncomfortable. But these are not the issues. Seating is there for your safety, not necessarily comfort. Many fans need to/must sit through no fault of their own and their game experience can be ruined by inconsiderates blocking their view. Children cannot see over an adult. Adults resort to kids on shoulders, feckin things up even for the standers behind. Once choice has been introduced back into football, but only then, should you consider standing. Fans who need to sit will go to the seats whilst others will opt to stand. Thats the way it should be.
So remember, all-seating was introduced for safety reasons, your safety, my safety. Stand in front of me, block my view, and I'll ask you politely to sit. Refuse and I'll call a steward. That is my right and not yours to question.

You will be an old bastard one day, not as far away as you think. Then you will understand.

Let's say everyone behind you is standing, but everyone in front of me is sitting. Would you accept my offer to swap seats to allow us both to be happy? If so, then that's all I can ask, that we both are reasonable.

I said in the first few posts of the thread that I won't ever stand in people's way if the whole surrounding area is seated.

Also, whilst I agree that I am too young to have experienced the terraces, you must surely agree that each person standing in front of their own seats is not anything like the surges and crushes of overcrowded terraces 30 years ago?

I agree with you on kids and the elderly, and as I say I will always want to be accommodating with offers to swap etc.

rangersfc_51
22-07-2011, 17:08
It's a strange one how we don't always stand at away games.

I know it would be difficult but if the TBO and UB could get allocated to the front it would help but we definately need to be standing at all away games.

RangersSunderland
22-07-2011, 17:18

Put far too many people into stands these days and the same problems will occur. Standing has NOTHING to do with any crushes, injuries, deaths, disasters that have ever happened. FACT. All seating was introduced as a cop-out. It was much easier to install seats and introduce a theatre like atmosphere than to make terraces safe.

It is my opinion that there is a difference between being a fan and a supporter. A fan travels all over to watch the team, a supporter travels all over the country to support the team. By supporting the team I mean making noise and getting behind them. Totally up to you which you choose to be but don't moan when someone in front/behind/next to you would rather be a supporter than a fan.

london_bluenose
22-07-2011, 18:33
Put far too many people into stands these days and the same problems will occur. Standing has NOTHING to do with any crushes, injuries, deaths, disasters that have ever happened. FACT. All seating was introduced as a cop-out. It was much easier to install seats and introduce a theatre like atmosphere than to make terraces safe.

It is my opinion that there is a difference between being a fan and a supporter. A fan travels all over to watch the team, a supporter travels all over the country to support the team. By supporting the team I mean making noise and getting behind them. Totally up to you which you choose to be but don't moan when someone in front/behind/next to you would rather be a supporter than a fan.

A fan is short for Fanatic, so maybe you have those the wrong way around.

The problem is I do respect the rights of all supporters to see the game, but with the authorities 100% against Standing, we have absolutely no hope of reintroducing the terracing.

Make no mistake, the football authorities oppose standing not on safety grounds, but because allocated seating makes us a lot easier to keep an eye on. Germany has proven that standing can be managed safely and enjoyably. :(

london_bluenose
02-08-2011, 10:42
I noted on TV that about half of the North Stand (I think) at Perth attempted to stand from the start of the game on Saturday, but by about the 20-minute mark it was only the furthest away section that stood. Was it stewards and police that pressured people to sit, or other fans in the sections?

This is still more than would have stood at McDiarmid last year, for example.

london_bluenose
15-01-2012, 20:19
Thought I would bump this - on TV it looked as though the majority of the Bears at St Johnstone were standing. Add that to the St Mirren game at Christmas - is the mentality changing amongst the majority of our travelling support?

niftyfifty
15-01-2012, 20:34
Hibs, St.Mirren, Celtic and St.Johnstone have all been recent games where our support has stood.

Maybe the cold weather is having an effect .

Certainly preferable for me and I could be classed as an old codger by some.

SpongebobSquarePass
15-01-2012, 20:39
At Rugby Park everyone just stood in our support.

It was too cold not to.

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 00:18
Hibs, St.Mirren, Celtic and St.Johnstone have all been recent games where our support has stood.

Maybe the cold weather is having an effect .

Certainly preferable for me and I could be classed as an old codger by some.

This time last year we would certainly have been sitting down at St Mirren, St Johnstone and probably Hibs as well. Hopefully this shows a change in our away fans.

GreatWhite
16-01-2012, 00:19
lets get back to it

rangersfc_51
16-01-2012, 00:21
What a pleasant surprise the past few away games have been.

Everyone standing and nobody moaning to sit on their arse. Hopefully we can keep it up, seems everyone is catching on!

GreatWhite
16-01-2012, 00:22

Everyone standing and nobody moaning to sit on their arse. Hopefully we can keep it up, seems everyone is catching on!

the game will always belong to the fans, the bubble has burst up here financially but that will give the fans more say and more power

same will eventually happen again in england once the billionaires get bored of the latest plaything

Royal Burgh Fanatic
16-01-2012, 00:23
Thought I would bump this - on TV it looked as though the majority of the Bears at St Johnstone were standing. Add that to the St Mirren game at Christmas - is the mentality changing amongst the majority of our travelling support?

Sections stood mate, maybe 30% of the Bears there.

CooperCoisty
16-01-2012, 00:23

Totally agree. keep it going bears.

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 00:31

Fair enough, looking at the highlights it looked like more.

gazzamac06
16-01-2012, 01:08
I noted on TV that about half of the North Stand (I think) at Perth attempted to stand from the start of the game on Saturday, but by about the 20-minute mark it was only the furthest away section that stood. Was it stewards and police that pressured people to sit, or other fans in the sections?

This is still more than would have stood at McDiarmid last year, for example.

I was in the North Stand in the red seats section, furthest or 2nd furthest section from the main stand. Me and everyone around me stood the full game. Didn't even notice anyone in the stand not standing tbh. Looking down to the bears behind the other goal it looked like they were standing too.

P.s. A shout out for the guy in orange jacket n tammy in the row in front of me, was winding up a fat st johnstone fan the whole game and had him biting constantly :)

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 01:18
I was in the North Stand in the red seats section, furthest or 2nd furthest section from the main stand. Me and everyone around me stood the full game. Didn't even notice anyone in the stand not standing tbh. Looking down to the bears behind the other goal it looked like they were standing too.

P.s. A shout out for the guy in orange jacket n tammy in the row in front of me, was winding up a fat st johnstone fan the whole game and had him biting constantly :)

That post you quoted was from the game in Perth in July.:D

As I said from the TV it looked like most were standing at yesterday's game.

P2PRFC
16-01-2012, 01:24
Hope support stands the game at Dunfermline also, away support should always be standing, hate sitting at games especially away.

gazzamac06
16-01-2012, 01:32
That post you quoted was from the game in Perth in July.:D

As I said from the TV it looked like most were standing at yesterday's game.

Haha woops! :)

Really must start checking the dates on posts, done this before on another thread!

Lucked out this time it still made sense haha

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 01:53
Haha woops! :)

Really must start checking the dates on posts, done this before on another thread!

Lucked out this time it still made sense haha

Yeah, the reason I bumped it was because of the definite shift towards standing between last time at Perth and this time.

hunter1rfc
16-01-2012, 16:42
was in the south on saturday row a and most were standing i think what a difference it makes

I.M.A.Bear
16-01-2012, 16:43
Was on the back row, central of the north stand on Saturday and stood throughout but it seemed that everybody in front of us sat down. Everybody to the left and right stood for most of the game though, but that central section was pretty poor.

Gallant13.VVV
16-01-2012, 17:26
Was on the back row, central of the north stand on Saturday and stood throughout but it seemed that everybody in front of us sat down. Everybody to the left and right stood for most of the game though, but that central section was pretty poor.

we were a few rows down in the central section and when everyone sat down we just moved up the back next to the sky camera to stand

Muck9
16-01-2012, 17:32

I was to the left of the central section in the North Stand and although most were standing I didnt think the overall atmosphere was that great

Stato
16-01-2012, 17:34
I was to the left of the central section in the North Stand and although most were standing I didnt think the overall atmosphere was that great
Agreed mate.

But get the full away support standing first then we can moan about the atmosphere. :D

superfurryanimal
16-01-2012, 17:44
I was in South stand and stood the whole game. Considering what the atmosphere is normally like at that ground, I think it did make a difference by standing.

scottmac
16-01-2012, 18:00
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/09/23/ArsenalFans460.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/londonbranchrsc/photos/Rangers-Supporters/Rangers%20fans%20in%20Stuggart%2009.jpg

OK, the pictures are probably a bit biased, but standing clearly looks better and will improve an atmosphere!

lenzietrueblues
16-01-2012, 18:03
Yeah, the reason I bumped it was because of the definite shift towards standing between last time at Perth and this time.

can i ask what youd suggest when the junior goes and cant see because everyone wants to stand and if had to pay full price at an away ground for him to sit

Irvine96
16-01-2012, 18:04
I blame thatcher and the taylor report for all this all seating stadia when it didnt really affect scottish football.We got F*ck all say in the matter

scottmac
16-01-2012, 18:07
I blame thatcher and the taylor report for all this all seating stadia when it didnt really affect scottish football.We got F*ck all say in the matter

I thought it only applied to English games? or am i wrong..:confused:

Irvine96
16-01-2012, 18:09
I think there were guidelines for spl stadia as well

lenzietrueblues
16-01-2012, 18:16
Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975
The Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 was passed following the disaster at Ibrox Stadium in 1971 and Lord Wheatley's subsequent report. It was introduced to address primarily the issue of safety of spectators at sports/football stadia where large numbers of people attend.

Following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 and Lord Justice Taylor's report, the then Scottish Office agreed to the implementation of the key Taylor recommendations in Scotland on a voluntary basis by the football authorities. All clubs which compete in the Scottish Premier League are required to play in all-seated covered stadia.

Ted.
16-01-2012, 18:19
I've never sat down at an away game except last season at Inverness when we got put in the wee section at the side away from everyone else

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 18:19
can i ask what youd suggest when the junior goes and cant see because everyone wants to stand and if had to pay full price at an away ground for him to sit

As discussed earlier in the thread I'd always hope everyone would be accommodating for young and old guys who maybe can't stand or can't see. I'd always offer to swap if I was in the front row of the rear section and I'd hope others would do the same.

lenzietrueblues
16-01-2012, 18:20
As discussed earlier in the thread I'd always hope everyone would be accommodating for young and old guys who maybe can't stand or can't see. I'd always offer to swap if I was in the front row of the rear section and I'd hope others would do the same.

sensible answer cheers :)

PrettyBlue
16-01-2012, 18:25

Well he could stand on the seat then he would probably be able to see, and everyone is a winner ;)

loyal_bear
16-01-2012, 18:30
I counted it today and the only games I have sat at have been Motherwell and Dundee United. There was a section standing at Tannadice though. I wasent at Dunfermline to cant comment. It has even got better as the season has went on for example I was sitting at Mcdairmid park at the start of the season. Motherwell and Dundee United were also at the start of the season but at the weekend there I was standing at Mcdairmid Park.

loyal_bear
16-01-2012, 18:31

Was strange, Where i was everyone was standing and to the far right of the stand people were standing it was only really the middle that sat down. Dont understand why.

imWATP
16-01-2012, 18:32
I was in the South Stand on Saturday and sat down for a bit of the game despite wanting to stand, as the people behind me were sitting and I couldnt be arsed with the moaning.

After the first goal though I stayed on my feet and the people behind me done the same. No moaning involved:D

There is definitely a lot more standing at the away games now and long may it continue. It helps the atmosphere without a doubt.

rossy
16-01-2012, 19:06
I was in the South Stand on Saturday and sat down for a bit of the game despite wanting to stand, as the people behind me were sitting and I couldnt be arsed with the moaning.

After the first goal though I stayed on my feet and the people behind me done the same. No moaning involved:D

There is definitely a lot more standing at the away games now and long may it continue. It helps the atmosphere without a doubt.

i was in the same situation as you mate, was also in the south stand 4 rows from the back and the two people behind me sat so i had to do likewise, but after the goal i moved and stood on the stairs near the back as the back row was standing.

hate sitting down at away games :p

get standing bears(elderly/anyone unable to sit can surely move down the front), we have seen an improvement this season and we need to remain on our feet as the team need our support :)

london_bluenose
16-01-2012, 20:21

The bit in bold is what I suspected about the reasons for a lot of us sitting down. No-one wants to offend those behind them by standing, even though the majority behind them also wants to stand. No-one makes that first move, so everyone stays seated.

In this case you stayed standing and everyone behind you was happy to follow suit.