PDA

View Full Version : The forgotten disaster

andy57
06-01-2011, 22:47
in 1961 stairway 13, 2 people dead and 44 injured:(

I had no idea that this had happened:o

ArnoldRimmer
06-01-2011, 22:49
One of the men killed were honoured in the recent memorial service for the disaster in 1971. I don't know why the other person's name wasn't read out.

dodgydel
06-01-2011, 23:18
i had heard brief stories about this but don't know a whole lot about it,knew something had happened,but i guess it's been overshaddowed(maybe not the right choice of wording) by the 71 disaster,but still a tradgedy

campsie
06-01-2011, 23:20
Anything but forgotten.
Was mentioned all the way thru the disaster tributes.
Trees were planted in memory of both guys and bricks were asked for in their name, tho that part hasnt been done.

dalegoalie
06-01-2011, 23:22
One of the men killed were honoured in the recent memorial service for the disaster in 1971. I don't know why the other person's name wasn't read out.

It would be unfair to say the accident of 16 September, 1961 has been forgotten. The names of George Nelson and Tommy Thomson appear on the memorial. Tommy was from Gourock and was aged thirty. I don't know if he was married. If he had lived, he would now be in his eightieth year. It is very possible, if he had married, his widow would now be dead. His siblings, too, could be deceased. Tommy may not have had any children. Quite simply, there may now be no descendants to mourn him. He lies, I believe, at Greenock.

George Nelson was a few years younger, only twenty-two. I know he does have family. Last year, while at Craigton Cemetery to do a bit of Founders' Trail research, I found, by accident, George's grave. It is on the main path through Craigton, not far from the graves of Peter and William McNeil and Mr Struth. We visit George's grave on the Trail. I mentioned this on FF last year and was delighted to be contacted by George's nephew. His father and another brother of George were still very much with us. On a subsequent visit to Craigton, we were delighted to find George's grave had been cleaned. It is a beautiful stone.

I am sure Jim Hannah worked hard to track down a relative of Tommy Thomson. If he had done, I am sure he, or she, would have joined George's relative at the commemoration on Monday.

gourockeastenclosure
06-01-2011, 23:44
It would be unfair to say the accident of 16 September, 1961 has been forgotten. The names of George Nelson and Tommy Thomson appear on the memorial. Tommy was from Gourock and was aged thirty. I don't know if he was married. If he had lived, he would now be in his eightieth year. It is very possible, if he had married, his widow would now be dead. His siblings, too, could be deceased. Tommy may not have had any children. Quite simply, there may now be no descendants to mourn him. He lies, I believe, at Greenock.

George Nelson was a few years younger, only twenty-two. I know he does have family. Last year, while at Craigton Cemetery to do a bit of Founders' Trail research, I found, by accident, George's grave. It is on the main path through Craigton, not far from the graves of Peter and William McNeil and Mr Struth. We visit George's grave on the Trail. I mentioned this on FF last year and was delighted to be contacted by George's nephew. His father and another brother of George were still very much with us. On a subsequent visit to Craigton, we were delighted to find George's grave had been cleaned. It is a beautiful stone.

I am sure Jim Hannah worked hard to track down a relative of Tommy Thomson. If he had done, I am sure he, or she, would have joined George's relative at the commemoration on Monday.

How would one go about finding out the plot where Tommy Thomson lies? Would the council keep a record of the lairs?
If it's a case of asking at the correct department I would certainly go and pay my respects.

dalegoalie
07-01-2011, 00:04
How would one go about finding out the plot where Tommy Thomson lies? Would the council keep a record of the lairs?
If it's a case of asking at the correct department I would certainly go and pay my respects.

Try this number:

All enquiries should be made to:
Burial Grounds Officer, Greenock Crematorium, 1 South Street, Greenock PA16 8UG
tel: 01475 715658 fax: 01475 730345

Tommy is buried at Greenock Cemetery. He lived with his wife and two children at Fletcher Avenue, Gourock. Both funerals took place on Wednesday, 20 September.

britain
07-01-2011, 06:08
The central barrier(made of wood I belive) gave way on the stairway exit that fateful day in Sept 1961 .

Afterwards( in th summer of 1962) Rangers concreted the terracings and put in I think 5 metal 'spines' that ran from the top to the bottom of the exit stairways.

2 more absent friends.

Houlet
07-01-2011, 09:03
I was on the stairway as a 13 yo with my father. We did not intend going down that stairway but from about 10 yards away right to the bottom my feet were off the ground. The wooden barrier broke under the pressure when we were about 3/4 way down and if it hadn't maybe there would have been more injuries? It was only once we were back home we realised the seriousness of the problem.

"There but for the grace of God go I."

Russell_Nash
07-01-2011, 10:23

both were honoured
both names were read out
only one had a relative present to lay a mini bouquet for them
the 2nd bouquet was placed by a former player

Bonhill Bill
07-01-2011, 12:00
both were honoured
both names were read out

Were both names in the memorial order of service? I'm sure there are only 67 names printed at the back. Mibbe I just cant count

leckie
07-01-2011, 12:15

If you drop into the office at the crematorium and give them the details they will give you the info and supply a map showing the section where the lair is.

pennyburn
07-01-2011, 12:24
If you drop into the office at the crematorium and give them the details they will give you the info and supply a map showing the section where the lair is.

Thats exactly what I did to find a long dead relative in Hawkhead cemetary in Paisley. Just go to the office and ask, they'll have a record of it.

22 and 30 years old, awful carry on.

R.I.P.

Deek1873
07-01-2011, 12:25
Were both names in the memorial order of service? I'm sure there are only 67 names printed at the back. Mibbe I just cant count

Yes i made it 67 names aswell, surely it should either have been 66 or 68 names?

A1bertz
07-01-2011, 12:30
I seem to recall my grandfather refer to 3 incidents ?
61 and 71, was there another one?

Deek1873
07-01-2011, 12:32
I seem to recall my grandfather refer to 3 incidents ?
61 and 71, was there another one?

yes 1902 i think it was

Deek1873
07-01-2011, 12:35
yes 1902 i think it was

I believe part of some wooden sections collapsed killing 26 and injuring hundreds?

Madrid Bill
07-01-2011, 12:53
Nearly 80,000 people squeezed into Ibrox 106 years ago this weekend to watch the 31st Scotland v England international, the first between wholly professional teams.

Nearly 80,000 people squeezed into Ibrox 106 years ago this weekend to watch the 31st Scotland v England international, the first between wholly professional teams.

The ground was state-of-the-art, built at the then substantial cost of 20,000. Both Rangers and Celtic wanted to host the match which went to Ibrox by just a single vote.

By the time the sides trooped off after a 1-1 draw, 26 people lay dead and 547 were injured. Grotesquely, the applause of the crowd was punctuated by groans from the injured and dying. Some casualties hung, seriously injured and upside down, from the laticework of torn girders and woodwork, before they could be lowered to the ground.

The authorities thought more havoc and injury might have been wrought if the match had been abandoned. The majority apparently left ignorant of any incident, although the match was interrupted for almost 20 minutes.

Eighteen were reported dead 24 hours later, but it was three weeks before the final victim died.

Wooden joists snapped clean through in what is now the Broomloan stand. They'd been laid on a steel frame-work, supporting wooden decking, but a hole some 20 yards square opened up. Hundreds of spectators plunged up to 40 feet to the ground. Rescuers found: "a scene of indescribable horror and confusion . . . a mass of mangled and bleeding humanity, the victims piled one above the other . . . enough to unman the strongest." The resources of the city's hospitals were over-stretched. Doctors in the crowd leant immediate help, but at Govan police station, cells were called into service as a casualty clearing station.

The scale of disfiguring injuries can best be judged from a Herald report of how the father of one unfortunate went to the Western Infirmary on Saturday night in the hope of finding his 25-year-old son, William Robertson. He was not among the injured, so the father was shown to the mortuary where he identified a body as being that of William. He was arranging the funeral when his son arrived home at Bainsford, Falkirk.

The accident, on Saturday April 5 1902, was reported in these columns on the Monday. The previous day there had been hardly any debris at the scene, according to Glasgow Herald reporters. Virtually all the timber and sheets of corrugated iron had been used as makeshift stretchers.

More than two weeks after the incident, we put the injured at 547.

The match was declared void and was replayed in Birmingham. All proceeds went to the disaster fund.

The contractor was later prosecuted, but was acquitted. However the accident ended the practice of supporting wooden terracing on steel frames. Earth embankments or concrete terracings were introduced. There were no further significant safety developments in Scotland until the second Ibrox Disaster, in 1971, when 66 died.

a Scotland game.

britain
07-01-2011, 12:54
I believe part of some wooden sections collapsed killing 26 and injuring hundreds?

It did indeed, sadly.:(

A Horse With No Name
Must say always shat myself going down those stairs.

Once I started taking the wee brother to a few games I'd stand (out of the way) at the top and to the side and listen to him complaining! Nothing about being wise before the event I was just scared shitless going down those stairs!

Couldn't get a ticket that day in 1971 and didn't find out what happened til the next day, still remember the fog in Glasgow seemed to hang around for ages that January.

For all those that died on that stairway R.I.P.

cooperthelegend
both were honoured
both names were read out

I thought that, after the list of 66, there was only one other name read out, and at first I didn't know why. I subsequently found out it was one of the 1961 victims, but am sure the other one didn't receive a mention.

Am happy to be wrong.

krack182
07-01-2011, 13:04
yes 1902 i think it was

1902. 25 killed. The wooden floor just opened up beneath them.
1961. 2 killed
1971. 66 killed

:(

krack182
07-01-2011, 13:05

25 I think it was that died.

dalegoalie
07-01-2011, 13:25

Part of the wooden terracing at the West (Broomloan) Tribune collapsed and a large number of spectators fell through the hole to the ground below. As the report already posted states, the injuries suffered were horrendous. I did research on both major Ibrox disasters for the "Spirit of Ibrox" book. The 1902incident made for gruesome reading. The final death toll could have been higher as spectators were crushed in attempts to get away from the top of the terrace. Fortunately, those at the front managed to burst through the fence on to the field. This relieved the pressure on those behind.

A few months previously, in August, 1901, a similar incident occured at the racecourse in Paisley. On that occasion, there was no loss of life.

borderscot
07-01-2011, 14:17
This thread is a prime example of why we need a museum at Ibrox, when will the Rangers hirearchy react to the demands and develop one.

I suppose the bank wouldn't approve of the expense... but why shouldn't they after all it would provide a substantial new revenue stream.

ozo
07-01-2011, 14:22
There was the 1902 disaster too at the Scotland v England game.

Bombers Boot
07-01-2011, 15:13
Rip.................

Bill the Butcher
07-01-2011, 15:29
The scale of disfiguring injuries can best be judged from a Herald report of how the father of one unfortunate went to the Western Infirmary on Saturday night in the hope of finding his 25-year-old son, William Robertson. He was not among the injured, so the father was shown to the mortuary where he identified a body as being that of William. He was arranging the funeral when his son arrived home at Bainsford, Falkirk.

From the 1902 disaster.

Jeezo! :eek:

RMcTaggart77
07-01-2011, 16:04
From the 1902 disaster.

Jeezo! :eek:

That`s a horrendous story !

Greenock Prod
07-01-2011, 16:14
Tommy Thomson is my best pals Granda :(

Greenock Prod
07-01-2011, 16:17

He was married and his widow is still alive today

Flawed_Genius
07-01-2011, 18:02
This thread is a prime example of why we need a museum at Ibrox, when will the Rangers hirearchy react to the demands and develop one.

I suppose the bank wouldn't approve of the expense... but why shouldn't they after all it would provide a substantial new revenue stream.

I agree - a place to remember our triumphs as well as our tragedies. It would be a fitting way to remember all of those who lost their lives having gone to watch a football match.

numberoneallover
07-01-2011, 18:31
was that againts Motherwell?

dalegoalie
07-01-2011, 18:43
was that againts Motherwell?

No. As in 1971, our opponents were Celtic and we scored a last minute equaliser. Jim Baxter got our second goal in a 2-2 draw. To continue the parallel with 1971, the equalising goal had no influence whatsoever on later events on the stairway adjacent to passageway thirteen.

numberoneallover
07-01-2011, 19:17
No. As in 1971, our opponents were Celtic and we scored a last minute equaliser. Jim Baxter got our second goal in a 2-2 draw. To continue the parallel with 1971, the equalising goal had no influence whatsoever on later events on the stairway adjacent to passageway thirteen.

we should have a link with the info on this as the OP said it is the forgotten disaster . and same with 1902 international.

i was reading it was againts Motherwell in scottish cup but i now believe that to be wrong, cheers mate

TRP - WATP
07-01-2011, 19:54
wasn't there other incidents at stairway 13 in the 60s with no loss of life? im sure the stiarway 13 book mentioned something in it

dalegoalie
07-01-2011, 20:05
wasn't there other incidents at stairway 13 in the 60s with no loss of life? im sure the stiarway 13 book mentioned something in it

Yes, in 1967 and 1969. As you stated, there were no fatalities on either occasion.

gertilidie
07-01-2011, 20:17
Yes, in 1967 and 1969. As you stated, there were no fatalities on either occasion.

friggin hell, how many chances or warnings were they given before iy was too late

tthomson
17-01-2011, 22:41
My father was Tommy Thomson. He was killed on stairway 13 on September 1961. Tommy was 27years old when he was killed, his widow was 27. He left behind two children, names: Thomas and Elizabeth. I was 5 years old at the time of my father's death, my sister Elizabeth was 3 years old.

ArnoldRimmer
17-01-2011, 22:47
My father was Tommy Thomson. He was killed on stairway 13 on September 1961. Tommy was 27years old when he was killed, his widow was 27. He left behind two children, names: Thomas and Elizabeth. I was 5 years old at the time of my father's death, my sister Elizabeth was 3 years old.

Thanks for posting mate and sorry for your loss :(

sam_cooke
17-01-2011, 22:49

Tragic then as it is now, ...... :(

camioni
17-01-2011, 22:50
My mother was friendly with George Nelson's mother and I know she stayed in Penilee in the mid sixties, I think George might have been from Penilee although I couldn't be 100% sure.

Cadzow Bear
17-01-2011, 23:11
Recounting these tragic events makes me appreciate why my old man kept an iron grip on my collar when leaving any ground. As a youth it was difficult to understand the dangers but looking back it's easy to see why I was under orders to do exactly as told.

dalegoalie
17-01-2011, 23:16
My mother was friendly with George Nelson's mother and I know she stayed in Penilee in the mid sixties, I think George might have been from Penilee although I couldn't be 100% sure.

George was from Clavens Road, Penilee.

dalegoalie
17-01-2011, 23:22

I cannot begin to comprehend how you, your sister and your mother have dealt with the events of that dreadful day.

tthomson
18-01-2011, 00:35
Tommy Thomson's younger brother, Billy, was with him on the day he was killed. Fortunately Billy was separated from Tommy when they were making their way out of the ground. Billy never realized there was a problem until Tommy never showed up for the Gourock supporters bus.
Billy Thomson was a member of the Gourock Rangers Supporters Club, and a season ticket hold for many years after his brother Tommy's death.
Billy died of a sudden heart attack in 1993. He was only 53 at the time of his death.
Tommy Thomson's widow, my mother is alive today. Tommy is buried in the Greenock cemetery on South Street.

Greenock Prod
18-01-2011, 00:44
Tommy Thomson's younger brother, Billy, was with him on the day he was killed. Fortunately Billy was separated from Tommy when they were making their way out of the ground. Billy never realized there was a problem until Tommy never showed up for the Gourock supporters bus.
Billy Thomson was a member of the Gourock Rangers Supporters Club, and a season ticket hold for many years after his brother Tommy's death.
Billy died of a sudden heart attack in 1993. He was only 53 at the time of his death.
Tommy Thomson's widow, my mother is alive today. Tommy is buried in the Greenock cemetery on South Street.

im good friends with elizabeth and lauren :p

giantchelsea
18-01-2011, 01:08

I know George Nelson's brother Roy. The family were honoured to take part in the recent remembrance service. I believe George's was the last named recited.

broxi
18-01-2011, 02:37
My mates and I were almost at the bottom of the stairs when a great roar went up. We turned round to see the fans at the top waving their scarves in the air so we knew we had equalised. There was another noise just after, we turned around to see this wave of fans rushing toward us. It hit just before we got to the gate. I know my feet never touched the ground till we were well clear. It wasn't till later we heard that two fans were killed, one from my home town
Greenock. We all went to the funeral to pay our respect to his family. To this day whenever I read about a similar tragedy my heart goes out to the families of those killed.
R.I.P
Sorry I thought he came from Greenock.

britain
18-01-2011, 06:22

Complete and Total Respect for you coming on here and posting that mate:(

le bluebear
18-01-2011, 08:04
The final resting places of four victims from the 1902 disaster were located at Craigton Cemetery only yesterday afternoon.

More to follow on this.

GirvanLighthouse
18-01-2011, 08:18

Much respect to you and yours ! If you click the following link you will see a dedication and a tree has been planted in Tommys memory along with all to die at Ibrox since 1902 !

http://tinyurl.com/IbroxGrove

Tbone68
18-01-2011, 09:18
Anyone got any details/news reports about the 1961 disaster ?

My old man was there but doesnt remember too much about it.

kris1873
18-01-2011, 09:30

I tried googling it but everything that came up was just a short paragraph on an article about the 1971 disaster

3g
18-01-2011, 11:29
I attended both the 1961 game and also in 1971. For the 61 game, my dad took me to the Stand, Copland Rd end, which was, amazingly in those days, shared with tims. All I remember of that game was seeing a youthful Slim Jim curl into the far corner past Haffey with about 2 mins to go. Obviously, I was no where near staircase 13, but... when Jimmie scored there was a shower of glasses raining down on those of us at the front of the stand. The scum threw them. One narrowly missed my right ear.
The 71 game was touch and go for using 13. Fortunately, we waited and went out via Edmiston exit. But the number of times I was 'carried' down those embankments as a wee lad, both at Ibrox and Hampden, is something I would never want to see repeated.

gourockeastenclosure
18-01-2011, 14:12
In reference to the 1902 diaster, there is a comprehensive piece on it in the book "Engineering Archie" the biography of Archie Lietch.

I have scanned the pages and hope it is okay to reproduce them here. Hopefully the quality is good enough to read.

The most stark for me is the pictures from the terrace and from below it:

http://i56.tinypic.com/io1341.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/eju58j.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2lm2rza.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/dd1cfn.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/bdsbqp.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/14kffk2.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2u5uu1e.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ynpefd.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ailkqx.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/ftn7rd.jpg

britain
18-01-2011, 22:20

From Temple of Dreams.page 85.

'But as they poured down the exit stairway tragedy struck. In the middle of the crowd, two young men stumbled and fell. As the supporters behind them tried to hold themselves back to avoid trampling on them, the central barrier cracked under the pressure. Dozens more fans fell to the ground and the fence running down the right hand side of the stairway also collapsed under the pressure.'

'In the end two men died in the accident and more than 40 fans were injured 22 needing hospital treatment. It could have been even worse had many of the supporters not managed to escape through the broken fence.'

giantchelsea
18-01-2011, 22:30
gourockeastenclosure, thanks very much for taking the time to scan the pages of Engineering Archie.

As you say the photographs of the terracing give a sense of the tragedy and the photograph of the actual game shows how overcrowded the terracing was.

Disco DeeJay
18-01-2011, 23:05
This picture was taken from the Copland Rd end on 22nd September 1900. Less than 2 years before the 1st disaster and will give an idea of what the stadium looked like.

I have the original of this photo on my wall and it's titled 'Greater Ibrox', rather than Ibrox Park The Rangers Arena, as in the press article.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2552l2x.jpg

gourockeastenclosure
19-01-2011, 01:04
gourockeastenclosure, thanks very much for taking the time to scan the pages of Engineering Archie.

As you say the photographs of the terracing give a sense of the tragedy and the photograph of the actual game shows how overcrowded the terracing was.

No problem mate!
I have had the book for a year or so and had always planned on scanning these pages. This thread just reminded me.

britain
19-01-2011, 05:34
Cheers for posting the 'Engineering Archie' pages mate, as said before. And also The 'Greater Ibrox picture'

britain
19-01-2011, 13:00
'Following the accident,the SFA issued instructions to all its member clubs that they should carry out general safety improvents at their grounds. Rangers employed a firm of civil engineers to carry out the alternations at Ibrox and spent 150,000 on ground improvements over the next few years including the concreting over of the terracing. The wooden central barrier on the central barrier on the stairway was removed and replaced with six steel railings that divided the staircase into seven channels in an attempt to slow down the flow of supporters leaving the ground. The stairs were also concreted and the wooden fencing that ran down eaxch side was replaced with heavy duty barriers.' p58 Temple of Dreams

GaryMcLean1
07-09-2011, 20:36
a wee bump due to the anniversary coming up.

ao
07-09-2011, 21:02
My late dad was injured at the 1961 game and it influenced his habits at Old Firm games in the coming years.

At the 1971 game he went into the game via Exit 13 with his mates, who wanted to leave by the same way as it was closer to where they parked. But he knew what it was like leaving on Exit 13 and told them he would go in that way, but no way would he leave that way.

They left from the Edmiston Drive exit and never knew anything about the disaster till they got back to Greenock and his mate's wife told him he better get up the road to my mum and us kids as it was all over telly that there were many dead following a crush. At that time it was something like 25 they were talking about, but the total was likely to rise.

Terrible to think the lessons of 1961 were never learned. There were crushes on that same stairway on 16/9/67 and 2/1/69 in other OF games that luckily didn't lead to fatalities but did result in injuries. Different times I suppose and health and safety wasn't as big then as now. Tragic.

britain
08-09-2011, 06:21
Lest we forget.

Spyro
08-09-2011, 07:05
I had no idea about this second disaster. I can only assume that it does not get quite as much light shined on it as the other two, due to the amount of fatalities being much less.

RIP to any person lost in the tragedys at Ibrox over the years.

am proud 2 b blue
08-09-2011, 12:35
There's a 2 page story in the new Rangers monthly.

Craig Whyte
08-09-2011, 12:38
http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110908/always-remembered_2254024_2444558

The Rangers shall wear black armbands during the next home game, versus Celtic, in memory of both gentlemen.

A short wreath laying ceremony headed by John Grieg shall also take place before the match.

dalegoalie
08-09-2011, 14:18
This is the gravestone of William McNair, a victim of the 1902 accident. He lies at Craigton.

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/4755/williammcnairgrave.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/williammcnairgrave.jpg/)

GaryMcLean1
15-09-2012, 10:59
The anniversary is tomorrow, Myself and Mr Thomsons grand daughter will be going up to Ibrox to pay our respects at the statue.

Rip Mr Thomson & Mr Nelson

britain
15-09-2012, 11:50
Lest we forget.

bullseye4
16-09-2012, 08:40
RIp Uncle George, gone but not forgotten

bluecyclist
16-09-2012, 08:56

Both names were read out. Here was also a short Memorial Service for the two men on the 50th anniversary of the accident last year. It was just before the Celtc game.

GaryMcLean1
16-09-2012, 11:07
Gone but never forgotten.

westl
16-09-2012, 12:53
Incredible to think tnhat the ground was changed twice on the back of 2 disasters ,totally unique to one football club i believe

jn271
16-09-2012, 13:08
The anniversary is tomorrow, Myself and Mr Thomsons grand daughter will be going up to Ibrox to pay our respects at the statue.

Rip Mr Thomson & Mr Nelson

Members of the Nelson family will also be paying their respects at the Statue and at Craigton Cemetry.

Both men Gone but not Forgotten.

george_bailey
16-09-2012, 13:14
http://i49.tinypic.com/nbb0i.jpg

200000 Heroes
16-09-2012, 13:24
We must never foret our own, who lost their live doing that which we all love, supporting the Rangers at Ibrox.

Sad to think that so many have lost their lives in supporting the club. Those of us who sometimes moan a little about all seated safe stadia, should never forget the sacrifices made by our forebears that we and our children might be safe watching the team.

Rest in peace.

Kai Johansen
16-09-2012, 13:43
1902. 25 killed. The wooden floor just opened up beneath them.
1961. 2 killed
1971. 66 killed

:(

Also in 1967 and 1969 no fatalities but a few injured.

charlotte1008
16-09-2012, 18:09
There's a 2 page story in the new Rangers monthly.

where can i buy the new Rangers monthly?

kenikinif
16-09-2012, 20:30
rip to all football fans lost going to watch their team

Lizzy's 11
16-09-2012, 20:33
where can i buy the new Rangers monthly?

http://www.seventy2magazine.co.uk/ or at WH Smith

krack182
16-09-2012, 20:35
There are some really moving chapters in Ibrox: Temple of Dreams (book)

It really is a must read for those who wish to know more about our history. Some of our darkest days that should never be forgotten.

sept1st
16-09-2012, 20:39
22 and 30 years old for gods sake, dying at a football match is absolutly horrific, we must never forget

NATERFC1
16-09-2012, 21:38
RIP :(

http://i45.tinypic.com/11hud15.jpg

stratfordbear
17-09-2012, 00:42
Seen this thread earlier whilst at work.
Back home and have read every post. I did not know about the earlier disasters.
Mind numbing, Lost for words.

RIP every bear lost.

Not sure what else to say but my thoughts are with those who died and there families.

GirvanLighthouse
17-09-2012, 01:10
1936 old firm Glasgow Cup semi final game
A womans high heel got stuck on the steps leaving the east terracing
Over 30 went over the top of her
luckily only injuries were sustained with 11 taken to hospital

The Treble Kings
17-09-2012, 01:39
in 1961 stairway 13, 2 people dead and 44 injured:(

I had no idea that this had happened:o

What you talking about? It's not forgotten at all.

britain
17-09-2012, 06:20
1936 old firm Glasgow Cup semi final game
A womans high heel got stuck on the steps leaving the east terracing
Over 30 went over the top of her
luckily only injuries were sustained with 11 taken to hospital

Never knew about that one.

Lest we forget the 1961 Disaster.