PDA

View Full Version : Fixture Chaos looms for Rangers

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 16:03
As things stand, Rangers will definitely require an extension to the season should they emulate their cup success of season 07/08. We have 5 SPL fixtures outstanding, with only 5 guaranteed free midweeks.

*UPDATE*

Games outstanding:

SPL v Hearts (h) - played 2/2/11
SPL v Dundee Utd (a)
SPL v St Mirren (h)
SPL v St Johnstone (a)
SPL v Inverness Caledonian Thistle (h) - played 18/1/11
SPL v Aberdeen (a)

Potential Games outstanding:

16/4/11 v Kilmarnock (h)

Fixtures:

27/2/11 SPL St Johnstone H
2/3/11 SC Celtic A
6/3/11 SPL St Mirren A
10/3/11 EL PSV Eindhoven
12/3/11 SC Scottish Cup Quarter Final
17/3/11 EL PSV Eindhoven
20/3/11 LC Celtic N
26/3/10 INT International Weekend (Euro 2012)
30/3/10 INT International Midweek (Euro 2012)
2/4/11 SPL Dundee Utd H
7/4/11 EL Europa League Quarter Final
9/4/11 SPL Hamilton A
14/4/11 EL Europa League Quarter Final
16/4/11 SPL Kilmarnock H/Scottish Cup Semi Final
20/4/11 Free Midweek
23/4/11 SPL Post Split 1
28/4/11 EL Europa League Semi Final
30/4/11 SPL Post Split 2
5/5/11 EL Europa League Semi Final
7/5/11 SPL Post Split 3
11/5/11 SPL Post Split 4
15/5/11 SPL Post Split 5
18/5/11 EL Europa League Final
21/5/11 SC Scottish Cup Final
25/5/11 INT Scotland v Wales
29/5/11 INT Scotland v Republic of Ireland

As you can see, we have no free midweeks potentially until April.

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that the 12th March is a Scottish Cup weekend, however all of St Mirren, St Johnstone, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are in the quarter finals - so if we lose at Parkhead we'll have a free weekend with no-one to play!

Fixture chaos is looming, and looming quickly.

deedle
28-12-2010, 16:14
Shades of 2008.

I think Rangers must campaign for an extension of the SPL and Walter Smith's comments were perhaps unadvisable in the circumstances.

We found it hard to cope with so many matches threee years ago and we had a much stronger squad then.

Arveladzes Shuffle
28-12-2010, 16:16
It is now become a concern.

ChicagoBear
28-12-2010, 16:17
Shades of 2008.

I think Rangers must campaign for an extension of the SPL and Walter Smith's comments were perhaps unadvisable in the circumstances.

We found it hard to cope with so many matches threee years ago and we had a much stronger squad then.

Smith is maybe going to have to have more faith in the youngsters in our team.... He certainly didnt in 2008.

90 mins
28-12-2010, 16:20
was talking about this in the pub and a tim said that the league will try and make us play two games on the one day, he said walter and durrant would take a team and mccoist and mcdowell would take the others. which i quickly told him to forget about happening as smith wouldnt have it.

ChicagoBear
28-12-2010, 16:21
was talking about this in the pub and a tim said that the league will try and make us play two games on the one day, he said walter and durrant would take a team and mccoist and mcdowell would take the others. which i quickly told him to forget about happening as smith wouldnt have it.

What? is the guy a mongo?:blink:

53easy
28-12-2010, 16:21
We need to win our Scottish cup games at the first time of asking.

buster
28-12-2010, 16:23
Walter has to start a little rotation I reckon.
You canīt ask the same players time and time again.

Heīll have to learn to trust a youngster in a game and rest players here and there.

Hopefully heīll have learned several lessons from last time although given that itīll be us effected I thought his words on the subject a couple of weeks ago a little hasty.

For a start, Beattie, Webster, Lafferty, Edu and a youngster should start in the cup match against Killie.

ChicagoBear
28-12-2010, 16:24

Heīll have to learn to trust a youngster in a game and rest players here and there.

Hopefully heīll have learned several lessons from last time although given that itīll be us effected I thought his words on the subject a couple of weeks ago a little hasty.

There's absolutely no reason why the kids shouldnt be playing in the League Cup and even the Scottish Cup. We have to make sure the league is No1 and the Europa is No2. The two cups are way way down the list of priorities!

4J's
28-12-2010, 16:26
It is certainly a concern. If there is no extension to the season then Walter Smith may have a dilemma on his hands. What does he sacrifice?

AL_Bundy
I fear a repeat of the 2007/08 season when we had a good run in europe but we ended up losing out on the league title because of our fixture back log a extension to the season is a must .

strummer

:eek:

Are you sure you're old enough to go to the pub?

Jesus Eff'in Christ

ChicagoBear
28-12-2010, 16:27
It is certainly a concern. If there is no extension to the season then Walter Smith may have a dilemma on his hands. What does he sacrifice?

There is no dilemma. The League is the No1 priority. The other 3 are added extras.

sandbear
28-12-2010, 16:29
Play a shadow side in the cup against killie and rotate squad as much as poss , what we dont want or need are replays in the cups.

sherbrook_loyal
28-12-2010, 16:30
Reserves in both domestic cups please.

big eck
28-12-2010, 16:31
I find it strange we have a free midweek next week (5th Jan) and no game has been rescheduled. I would have thought Hearts game would have been played :confused:

Dexter25
28-12-2010, 16:32

This is a must.

WeeBudsBud
28-12-2010, 16:34
Some said at the time (of Watties statement) that maybe we shouldn`t cut our nose off etc. etc. and got pelters for it.

Perhaps now it`s the sensible route.

As it was back in 2008, there will only be one loser if we don`t extend the league if necessary.

buster
28-12-2010, 16:36
There is no dilemma. The League is the No1 priority. The other 3 are added extras.

The reality is different.

WS will play his strongest side in Europe, factoid !

Next weeks Cup tie could see a few of the players coming back from injury get a game but if we progress and get nearer to the final then again itīll be the strongest team available.

A League Cup semi-final wonīt see a weakened line-up and a possible final against celtic would mean all hands on deck.

So itīs rotation but not wholesale, a player here a player there all the way through whatever competition.
Learn to trust the rest of the squad because they will all be needed.

windsorbear
28-12-2010, 16:40
I find it strange we have a free midweek next week (5th Jan) and no game has been rescheduled. I would have thought Hearts game would have been played :confused:

It's probably too late now to arrange a game for the 5th, as usually they need 7 days notice for the police etc, so they've basically got to tomorrow.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 16:42
Progression in Europa Free Midweeks

Sporting Lisbon 12
Last 16 10
Quarter Finals 8
Semi Finals 6
Final 5

We've potentially got a serious problem on our hands even if we progress only to the quarters.

We've got 5, potentially 7 SPL games outstanding depending on domestic cup progress - and that's assuming that the weather between now and May holds up and we suffer no future postponements, and we win all our Scottish Cup ties at the first time of asking.

Why we're wasting a free midweek on the 5th, and wasting a midweek on the 12th by having a cup tie scheduled for the 10th is utterly beyond me, particularly when as things stand Rangers only have 5 guaranteed free midweeks between now and the end of the season.

Another thread has said that the SPL plan to use March as the time to make up fixtures - this is a ludicrous idea when Rangers might only potentially have time to play one SPL match in March.

As in 2008, the SPL are making things up on the hoof and are setting themselves up for massive problems. Their policy at the moment, once again, is hope Rangers get knocked out of Europe early, thus averting the need for any forward planning.

Popbear
28-12-2010, 16:43

Ha Ha, so what rangers team would we all go to watch?

Jelle1880
28-12-2010, 16:50
It sucks but there's a simple solution: Reserves and youngsters for cup games.
If we get pumped out of Europe, so be it, everything past the Champions League is a bonus anyway: We're only in it for the money.

A club the stature of Rangers should not be forced to act like this, but these are the people we are up against: No trick is too dirty to make it hard for us.

Sporting integrity indeed.

I for one can't wait to see what happens if we are leading the league by a small number of points, with a few games coming up in rapid succession and the scum ravaged by injuries and shit players.
Something tells me an extension to the season could very well be discussed by the SPL then.

navanger
28-12-2010, 16:54
keep the strongest squad for the league , give the young lads a run in the cup(s) , and have a good mixture of youth & first teamers for europe.
league is #1.:):):)

s_mac
28-12-2010, 16:57
Some said at the time (of Watties statement) that maybe we shouldn`t cut our nose off etc. etc. and got pelters for it.

Perhaps now it`s the sensible route.

As it was back in 2008, there will only be one loser if we don`t extend the league if necessary.

thought that myself at the time.

know he was (rightfully) angry, but given the size of the squad, he might have been a tad hasty. :ninja:

big eck
28-12-2010, 17:01
It's probably too late now to arrange a game for the 5th, as usually they need 7 days notice for the police etc, so they've basically got to tomorrow.

Should have been arranged weeks back mate.

The powers that be are a total joke:mad:

Laudrup70
28-12-2010, 17:02

Unless its the tims

WeeBudsBud
28-12-2010, 17:15
thought that myself at the time.

know he was (rightfully) angry, but given the size of the squad, he might have been a tad hasty. :ninja:

I think we all seen it as a GIRFUY Timmy, especially as TLB quoted they`d play 4 games in a week if they had to, but sometimes you just have to look at the broader picture.

Professor_Chaos
28-12-2010, 17:24
We don't definitely need an extension at this point, because that is based on us progressing to the Europa League final, right? Some of our outstanding fixtures should already be scheduled for midweeks corresponding to European games and subsequently changed again if we progress.

Typically of Scottish football, these outstanding games don't have dates in place to be played yet. It should be done immediately after any postponement.

HaiiTcH
28-12-2010, 17:26

Best thing av read on here for a while :)

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 17:27
It is worrying if we have a run in Europe - which I think we may well at least get through the Lisbon tie.

First available dates should be taken up with re-scheduled matches. I wont expact the SFA to think that way though.

rocker
28-12-2010, 17:43
To be honest, I think we should be putting out under strength sides in the Europa.
The mere thought of the ginger Bhigot stealing the title due to our backlog doesn't bear thinking about.
And there is no way the season will be extended.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 17:57
We don't definitely need an extension at this point, because that is based on us progressing to the Europa League final, right? Some of our outstanding fixtures should already be scheduled for midweeks corresponding to European games and subsequently changed again if we progress.

Typically of Scottish football, these outstanding games don't have dates in place to be played yet. It should be done immediately after any postponement.

Even progression to the quarters leaves us with just 8 free midweeks - the majority of them being in April and May.

One of those free weeks is the 5th of January. If we don't play Hearts or St Mirren that night, that takes us down to just 11 free midweeks assuming we fail to get past Sporting Lisbon - 9 if we do. We have 5 games outstanding, with the possibility of games against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock needing postponed should we make progress in the cups. That would be 7 games to fit in 11 free midweeks - and that's assuming no cup replays and no more postponements between now and the end of the season.

buster
28-12-2010, 18:01
Even progression to the quarters leaves us with just 8 free midweeks - the majority of them being in April and May.

One of those free weeks is the 5th of January. If we don't play Hearts or St Mirren that night, that takes us down to just 11 free midweeks assuming we fail to get past Sporting Lisbon - 9 if we do. We have 5 games outstanding, with the possibility of games against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock needing postponed should we make progress in the cups. That would be 7 games to fit in 11 free midweeks - and that's assuming no cup replays and no more postponements between now and the end of the season.

Good research Bro !

You should fire off an e-mail to Rangers with OP, it wouldnīt surprise me if they hadnīt looked into as deeply as yourself.

shuntergers8
28-12-2010, 19:27
the uefa cup should now be used for fringe players

its the least important cup now , we have the money from the champions league so we MUST win the league

Top_Cat
28-12-2010, 19:32

its the least important cup now , we have the money from the champions league so we MUST win the league

Smith won't do this, no chance

Daddy_Bear07
28-12-2010, 19:33

Europe is the least important of the cups????

We have won ONE European tournament in our entire history how can you possibly say its not important:confused:

Professor_Chaos
28-12-2010, 19:33

Well exactly. Let's worry about not having the space to fit games in, when those spaces are actually filled. We obviously expect Rangers to get to the finals of both domestic cup competitions, and will all be optimistic that we can progress to the latter stages of the Europa League. But there's always the chance of us being knocked out, especially in Europe. As things stand, there's plenty of room available to us for re-scheduled games.

I do agree that there should be games played next midweek, utter lunacy that there are none scheduled to this point.

Professor_Chaos
28-12-2010, 19:35

You'll have to expain to me how the Europa League, a competition we've never won in our history, is less important than the League or Scottish cups, which we've won a combined 59 times.

talktalk
28-12-2010, 19:35
play strongest team at all times ,when we have points in the bag and through to both finals then give players time off and let the spl sort out the mess as it wont only be us that will have a fixture problem.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 19:38
Well exactly. Let's worry about not having the space to fit games in, when those spaces are actually filled. We obviously expect Rangers to get to the finals of both domestic cup competitions, and will all be optimistic that we can progress to the latter stages of the Europa League. But there's always the chance of us being knocked out, especially in Europe. As things stand, there's plenty of room available to us for re-scheduled games.

I do agree that there should be games played next midweek, utter lunacy that there are none scheduled to this point.

The reason I'm bringing this up now is because last time a situation like this threatened to occur, the SPL did absolutely **** all until such a time that Rangers couldn't fulfil their fixtures within the original timeframe of the season.

The SPL needs to plan their contingency plan NOW, not in March or April. The worst case scenario is that Rangers emulate their cup success of 2007/08, which wouldn't leave us enough free midweeks to complete the season. There's an additional complication, because of the Four Nations tournament that's been scheduled for the end of May (and the earlier round in February, which wastes another midweek) extending the season becomes complicated. The SPL and Rangers need to sit down and work out a contingency plan should the worst case scenario occur.

Even if Rangers make no progress in Europe, a run to the LC Final and SC semi leaves a tight schedule that won't allow for too many more games to fall victim to the weather.

two2tango
28-12-2010, 19:45
The reality is different.

WS will play his strongest side in Europe, factoid !

Next weeks Cup tie could see a few of the players coming back from injury get a game but if we progress and get nearer to the final then again itīll be the strongest team available.

A League Cup semi-final wonīt see a weakened line-up and a possible final against celtic would mean all hands on deck.

So itīs rotation but not wholesale, a player here a player there all the way through whatever competition.
Learn to trust the rest of the squad because they will all be needed.

for the killie game why not start some of the promising youngsters, if we get put out so be it.

wylde, hutton, cole, fleck with hopefully beattie, and edu fit again in the side

im sure the youngsters would rise to the challenge, i was going to say play webster, however i dont think he will ever play a game for us again

struthpark
play strongest team at all times ,when we have points in the bag and through to both finals then give players time off and let the spl sort out the mess as it wont only be us that will have a fixture problem.

Think this was the plan last time and it didn't work.

To my mind, Walter tried to rotate the squad last year time but they weren't up for it - we ended up with cup replays. Much as we like the look of some of the guys out there, I remember what happened when we tried to play Fleck and Little at Tannadice last year. dose of reality guys, these aren't easy games for the first team, let alone the reserves.

My first thought is to play reserves in the cups, I'd always do that in the League cup, trouble is we're in the semi now - are we going to throw that away ?

am proud 2 b blue
I'm still hoping we'll play hertz on the 5th. Do them and the tims in the space of 4 days. sorted

two2tango
28-12-2010, 19:48
The reason I'm bringing this up now is because last time a situation like this threatened to occur, the SPL did absolutely **** all until such a time that Rangers couldn't fulfil their fixtures within the original timeframe of the season.

The SPL needs to plan their contingency plan NOW, not in March or April. The worst case scenario is that Rangers emulate their cup success of 2007/08, which wouldn't leave us enough free midweeks to complete the season. There's an additional complication, because of the Four Nations tournament that's been scheduled for the end of May (and the earlier round in February, which wastes another midweek) extending the season becomes complicated. The SPL and Rangers need to sit down and work out a contingency plan should the worst case scenario occur.

Even if Rangers make no progress in Europe, a run to the LC Final and SC semi leaves a tight schedule that won't allow for too many more games to fall victim to the weather.

great post mate. i stated a couple of weeks ago bain should be lobbying now, not in feb, not in march, not in april, right fecking now!!

good leaders are proactive not reactive

jimmyhm
28-12-2010, 19:50
Smith won't do this, no chance

The more especially because he's going so this is probably his last Euro adventure. There can be no doubt that he was overly hasty in speaking against an extension.

rangeral
28-12-2010, 20:00

8th/9th Feb is an official international date set down by FIFA

The May dates are not but the problem is still there of extending the League season as players will be off for Euro2012 qualifers at the beginning of June no game for Scotland mind you.

Below is why the SPL or even the SCF in 2008 could not be extended.

Because of Euro 2008

UEFA ensured that the domestic season in the major countries could not play beyond 24th May 2008, appox 2 weeks before the start of the Euro 2008.

The SPL and SFA would have seek permission from UEFA to extend beyond 24th May 2008, they knew about the ruling from UEFA but neither made it public in why they could not extend

PedroMendez
28-12-2010, 20:01

:):):) pmsl, to funny!!!!!!

talktalk
28-12-2010, 20:04
Think this was the plan last time and it didn't work.

To my mind, Walter tried to rotate the squad last year time but they weren't up for it - we ended up with cup replays. Much as we like the look of some of the guys out there, I remember what happened when we tried to play Fleck and Little at Tannadice last year. dose of reality guys, these aren't easy games for the first team, let alone the reserves.

My first thought is to play reserves in the cups, I'd always do that in the League cup, trouble is we're in the semi now - are we going to throw that away ?

i would still play my strongest team. wattie has been through it before and will have learned about when to train and when not to. if he is allowed to bring in 2 or 3 players im sure team spirit and his experience will get us to our goal. the younsters have had more games than they did the last time which will help also.as you say there are no easy games.

alza_ger1873
28-12-2010, 20:20
If we can perform consistently enough in the games we still have scheduled to leave us out of sight of tlb and co, we could give some of the fans a chance to play for their team in the postponed games.:p

bluelacoste
28-12-2010, 20:51
Should make their mind up about the cups just now. Either don't piss about in them and finish the teams off in the first game or put out the younger team and take the flack about not respecting the SFA cup.
League No 1 in the list, European run No2 in the list then Cups.

GingerFurball
07-02-2011, 01:16
UPDATE

With only 1 guaranteed free midweek and 4 SPL games outstanding, finding space to fit in our fixtures is still looking like being a potential nightmare. Thankfully the weather in January picked up from the last couple of weeks in December, otherwise we'd definitely be up shit creek.

Games outstanding:

SPL v Dundee Utd (a)
SPL v St Mirren (h)
SPL v St Johnstone (a)
SPL v Aberdeen (a)

Potential games outstanding:

16/4/11 v Kilmarnock (h)

Fixtures:

9/2/11 INT Scotland v Northern Ireland
12/2/11 SPL Motherwell H
17/2/11 EL Sporting Lisbon H
20/2/11 SPL Celtic A
24/2/11 EL Sporting Lisbon A
27/2/11 SPL St Johnstone H
2/3/11 SC Celtic A
6/3/11 SPL St Mirren A
10/3/11 EL Europa League Last 16
12/3/11 SC Scottish Cup Quarter Final
17/3/11 EL Europa League Last 16
20/3/11 LC Celtic N
26/3/10 INT International Weekend (Euro 2012)
30/3/10 INT International Midweek (Euro 2012)
2/4/11 SPL Dundee Utd H
7/4/11 EL Europa League Quarter Final
9/4/11 SPL Hamilton A
14/4/11 EL Europa League Quarter Final
16/4/11 SPL Kilmarnock H/Scottish Cup Semi Final
20/4/11 Free Midweek
23/4/11 SPL Post Split 1
28/4/11 EL Europa League Semi Final
30/4/11 SPL Post Split 2
5/5/11 EL Europa League Semi Final
7/5/11 SPL Post Split 3
11/5/11 SPL Post Split 4
15/5/11 SPL Post Split 5
18/5/11 EL Europa League Final
21/5/11 SC Scottish Cup Final
25/5/11 INT Scotland v Wales
29/5/11 INT Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Gardy Loyal
07-02-2011, 01:18
I can see a repeat of 08 unfortunately :(

The filth may be touring Japan again aswell.

berkshiretrueblue
07-02-2011, 01:23

Of course he is he was a Tim:roll: Anyone who speaks to such beasts, especially in a Pub deserve everything they get!>:)

menghai
07-02-2011, 01:29
We'll almost certainly have some free midweeks from the Europa Cup. Don't think we'll get more than to the quarters. That's 3 free dates from the semis and final.

boydscores
07-02-2011, 01:33
Bring it on...We are the Rangers...Stop the wimping....If your up for it???...Young fellas?...Yeah sure they need to step up to the plate!!...We are The Rangers!!!

GingerFurball
07-02-2011, 01:35
We'll almost certainly have some free midweeks from the Europa Cup. Don't think we'll get more than to the quarters. That's 3 free dates from the semis and final.

Which won't be enough.

Rusty1873
07-02-2011, 01:39
Do people seriously think we'll go past the last 16 of the Europa? The league is the priority, we should not be risking even one point by playing a full strength side against ICT in the 6th round of the Scottish.

menghai
07-02-2011, 01:40
Which won't be enough.

Don't worry, every chance we'll go out v. Sporting and open up two more.

belovedtopger
07-02-2011, 01:49
This has the potential to be a problem for us. We will just need to rotate our squad a lot and prioritise matches

johnny fontane
07-02-2011, 04:11
Given the way we are playing at the minute, we won't need to worry about reaching Dublin, we'll be out against Lisbon.

Jelle1880
07-02-2011, 06:11
Sporting won't even have to field their best team, I don't think we'll have to worry about the Europa League.

Adelphi
07-02-2011, 06:38

Rubbish. Full strength team for the LC Final. Its a trophy worth winning. I might consider resting players for the SC later rounds if we win the replay with a full strength team.

sherbrook_loyal
07-02-2011, 12:12
Rubbish. Full strength team for the LC Final. Its a trophy worth winning. I might consider resting players for the SC later rounds if we win the replay with a full strength team.

Given that my post you've quoted is nearly two months old, it's a little out date.
Obviously, I'd play a full-strength team in the final with Celtic — I was talking about the earlier rounds :roll:

We'll never go all the way in the Europa, though, so I can't see the fixture chaos being too problematic.

macaloon9
07-02-2011, 12:16

Smith wouldnt have it? Thats the reason this wouldnt happen is it?

PartickGer
07-02-2011, 12:17
I can't see the team progressing past Sporting at the moment so shouldn't be such a big problem.

vanderhogg
07-02-2011, 12:18
To be fair, I think we can discount the Europa League.

On current home, we'll be beaten both home and away by Sporting Lisbon.

Wiggy1690
07-02-2011, 12:19

Nonsense post

:D

Ter
07-02-2011, 12:27
When we got to the final a few years ago loads were saying we wouldn't get there and the fixtures would sort themselves out. BELIEVE!

GingerFurball
24-02-2011, 21:32
OP updated after tonight's result.

53easy
24-02-2011, 21:34
If that worst happens next midweek we still couldn't play a match on a spare Saturday as all of our games in hand are against sides still in the cup.

bluestevo
24-02-2011, 21:36

they all are ;)

rangeral
24-02-2011, 21:37
If that worst happens next midweek we still couldn't play a match on a spare Saturday as all of our games in hand are against sides still in the cup.

yes we can the Kilmarnock game on 16th April can be brought forward to the 13th March.

St Mirren v Aberdeen was due that day as well but as both of them meet in the cup on 12th March then the SPL game as been given a new date of 6th April and means we can play the the loser on 16th/17th April.

Hopefully it won't come to that;)

cwycria
24-02-2011, 21:37
Of the 5 outstanding league games, do we not need to complete all these before the split in April?

If I'm reading this right it would be impossible to complete without playing 3 in a week...:confused:

Disco DeeJay
24-02-2011, 21:40
Of the 5 outstanding league games, do we not need to complete all these before the split in April?

If I'm reading this right it would be impossible to complete without playing 3 in a week...:confused:

If we go out of both the Scottish Cup and Europa League in the next rounds, then the dates for Scottish Cup 1/4 and semi final and Europa 1/4 final legs could be used (4 dates for 4 outstanding games), so no need for more than 1 game each midweek.

However, if we win at the PaedoDome next week and get past PSV, there are major problems.

BlueFlagFlyingHigh
24-02-2011, 21:42
to be fair, i think we can discount the europa league.

On current home, we'll be beaten both home and away by sporting lisbon.

:) :) :)

deedle
24-02-2011, 21:43
Does anyone else sense another tour of Japan looming? ;)

RFC_Sooty
Bring on the fixture chaos!

You've got to be in it to win it.

cwycria
If we go out of both the Scottish Cup and Europa League in the next rounds, then the dates for Scottish Cup 1/4 and semi final and Europa 1/4 final legs could be used (4 dates for 4 outstanding games), so no need for more than 1 game each midweek.

However, if we win at the PaedoDome next week and get past PSV, there are major problems.

I was getting ahead of myself there, thought we were already through to the SC QF :angel:

charlie bubbles
24-02-2011, 21:44
Bring it on. This is what happens to successful teams. WATP ;)

cwycria
24-02-2011, 21:45
Bring on the fixture chaos!

You've got to be in it to win it.

Still got worries about repeating 2008 :( We need to start getting more of the youngsters involved in some of the lesser games (if you could class any as 'lesser' from now on in) :)

imWATP
24-02-2011, 21:46

Beat me to it:D

Sir Duncan Ferguson
24-02-2011, 21:47
Does anyone else sense another tour of Japan looming? ;)

Not this time.

The Celtic Cup shite will be the nail in the coffin for any extension.

Ian Blair has already said there will be no extension due to the international games.

EKger
24-02-2011, 21:48

Missed this first time round. Best post ever on FF :)

rangeral
24-02-2011, 21:50
Not this time.

The Celtic Cup shite will be the nail in the coffin for any extension.

Ian Blair has already said there will be no extension due to the international games.

yet they are not on official International dates

westl
24-02-2011, 21:53
If its obvious some of those teams we are meant to be playing are going to finish in bottom 6 ,should be able to spread out fixtures surely !

Niallard1873
24-02-2011, 21:56
There's absolutely no reason why the kids shouldnt be playing in the League Cup and even the Scottish Cup. We have to make sure the league is No1 and the Europa is No2. The two cups are way way down the list of priorities!

Problem tho with this is that if we didnt win the league it could leave THEM open up to the treble... I shudder to think..

GingerFurball
24-02-2011, 21:56
If its obvious some of those teams we are meant to be playing are going to finish in bottom 6 ,should be able to spread out fixtures surely !

Spread them out when exactly?

We have ONE free midweek between now and the split - 3 if PSV beat us.

Given how tight the table is between Kilmarnock in 4th and Aberdeen in 9th, we're going to have to get our games against St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and the sheep done and dusted by the split - as it's quite possible that all 3 of those results will go a long way to deciding who finishes top 6 and who doesn't.

ianm_1873
24-02-2011, 21:57
The SPL should have guidelines for an extension so noone (taigs) can moan if it happens. I agree with earlier posters about playing reserves in them cups if we get further, but the problem is that it is likely that we will get 4 league games in a week which we cant rest anyone for.

SPL should have agreed an extension in December.

ULSTER WE STAND
24-02-2011, 22:02
Sporting won't even have to field their best team, I don't think we'll have to worry about the Europa League.

Gotta love the optimists :ninja:

tambourineman
24-02-2011, 22:03

You are one of the following;
a tim,
a daftie
quite amusing
someone who really should change the pub he drinks in
someone who is not bad at day out at the fishing

rangeral
24-02-2011, 22:04
Martin Bain has to come out and asked the SPL want they are doing to do about the fixtures when he comes back from Lisbon than rather when the SPL takes out our hands

maidencity
24-02-2011, 22:06
Spread them out when exactly?

We have ONE free midweek between now and the split - 3 if PSV beat us.

Given how tight the table is between Kilmarnock in 4th and Aberdeen in 9th, we're going to have to get our games against St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and the sheep done and dusted by the split - as it's quite possible that all 3 of those results will go a long way to deciding who finishes top 6 and who doesn't.

Going to be a nightmare how do you see it panning out mate

lowerhuttloyal
24-02-2011, 23:03

He is a tarrier it goes without saying that he will be a mong as well.:D

Ian53
24-02-2011, 23:12

:):) Thats magic. Too funny :D

inthejuju
24-02-2011, 23:24
Situation not helped by the bizarre SPL split.

Also there is a chance that the weather may still cause further chaos given the predilection to postpone matches because the pavements are icy.

david1982
24-02-2011, 23:56
The SPL should have guidelines for an extension so noone (taigs) can moan if it happens. I agree with earlier posters about playing reserves in them cups if we get further, but the problem is that it is likely that we will get 4 league games in a week which we cant rest anyone for.

SPL should have agreed an extension in December.

it should have been dealt with after 08

jaytrotter
25-02-2011, 00:00
The way I see it we could be expected to play- if we beat PSV and not taking into account the SC - 9 SPL matches between 2nd and 22nd of April.

If we beat the Yahoos then the weekend of the QF will be ICT.

If we lose to the Yahoos then the weekend of the QF is a rest period.

If we beat ICT then the SPL game v Kimarnock 16/4 will have to be rearranged making 10 matches between 2nd and 22nd of April.

That's not chaos... thats meltdown.

Edit

If we dump the Yahoos out the SC they will play 3 games in the same period.

If they beat us and get to the SF then they are due to play St Johnstone away that day.

Edit

At least one outstanding game will be played between 16/4 and 22/4

W.A.T.P 72
25-02-2011, 00:07
A can see the sfa screwing us again.

SCG
25-02-2011, 00:08
priority is the league - anything else is a bonus

jimmyhm
25-02-2011, 00:10

For a start, Beattie, Webster, Lafferty, Edu and a youngster should start in the cup match against Killie.

Beattie's at Blackpool, mate.

gordybear
25-02-2011, 00:11
Dundee United could come to our rescue as they have more games to play than us and their games MUST be played by the split because they could go either way

jimmyhm
25-02-2011, 00:14

I agree 100% - even if we are up against the Tims.

Daddy_Bear07
25-02-2011, 00:15
Dundee United could come to our rescue as they have more games to play than us and their games MUST be played by the split because they could go either way

Rescue in what way?

Surely your not suggesting the SPL will extend the season to help out Dundee United?

That would be taking the proverbial!

tcbuzz
25-02-2011, 00:15
Bain and Smith should come out tomorrow and demand an extension, or we pull all our players out the Carling Cup thing.

Also demand a date for all of our outstanding games before the end of the week, or else we will postpone all media commitments for the Scottish Cup and League Cup, which im sure the sponsors will be delighted about,

Also emphasise that we will play no more than 2 games per 7 days. Call their bluff, and do it publicly. Also emphasise that we are flying the flag in Europe, raising the co-efficient and no other team is contributing.

The Predator
25-02-2011, 00:16
Can we please have a fixture pile up this time when we win the Co-Op Cup, Scottish Cup, SPL and Europa Cup please :D

Bknowe
25-02-2011, 00:21
The SPL should come out tomorrow and say that if Rangers beat PSV then there will be an extension to the league no matter what. Two of our games in hand are for Live TV (Dundee Utd & St J'stone) so they can't be played on a European Night if we lose in the next round. Also the game against the Sheep to be played on LC Final day would be on TV.

weebear
25-02-2011, 00:27
Maybe we'll get another extension to the League this year like 2007/2008 season?:roll:

jaytrotter
25-02-2011, 00:29
Bain and Smith should come out tomorrow and demand an extension, or we pull all our players out the Carling Cup thing.

Also demand a date for all of our outstanding games before the end of the week, or else we will postpone all media commitments for the Scottish Cup and League Cup, which im sure the sponsors will be delighted about,

Also emphasise that we will play no more than 2 games per 7 days. Call their bluff, and do it publicly. Also emphasise that we are flying the flag in Europe, raising the co-efficient and no other team is contributing.

A reasonable idea but unfortunately they will have to come up with some type of matrix that would have to include our outstanding SPL fixtures - 4 poss 5 - and factor in progression in both the SC and EL and whether any potential 4 or 5 outstanding SPL opponents have SC replays.

thomyorke_legend1
25-02-2011, 00:32
Going out of the Cup on Wednesday could be a blessing in disguise. I would happily sacrifice it for a better chance of winning the SPL and having a run in the Europa Cup. Though I do love The Scottish Cup final to finish to season...

switchback
25-02-2011, 00:39
I would love to see us play our youth players in both cups but I can't see it happening. For a start we will probs get fined for deliberately playing a weakened squad.

thomyorke_legend1
25-02-2011, 00:55
I would love to see us play our youth players in both cups but I can't see it happening. For a start we will probs get fined for deliberately playing a weakened squad.

Just need to utilise the squad better. On Sunday, rest Weir, rest Diouf, give Hutton a chance. Put Bartley in central defence, Weiss on wing and rest Edu for Hutton. Why not give Cole a chance at right back?

Healy and Jelavic upfront.

NickyBoyBlue
25-02-2011, 00:55
Prepared to be cheated again. :mad:

jed jed1
25-02-2011, 00:57
walter must utilise the squad better this time,starting this sunday & every single player must be ready to step in.

Bknowe
25-02-2011, 01:05
There MUST be an extension to the season, as there is no Euros/WC to be played.

Dundee Utd have 3 games to play, we have 3 games at the moment. If we beat Celtic on Wednesday, we then play Caley Thistle in SC which leaves us with a game against Kilmarnock to play. If we draw the cup game against Caley Thistle, we then have to fit in a replay. Even if Celtic beat us we can't play an outstanding game on cup weekend because D Utd, Sheep, St J'stone are all in next round of the Scottish Cup.

We could end up having 5 games to fit in with 3 being Live TV games which can't be played on a euro night, so we end up with the following

Dundee Utd A TV game
Aberdeen A TV game (LC Final v Tims)
St Johnstone A TV game

Possibles

Kilmarnock H (SC game v Caley)
Caley Thistle SC Replay (prob TV Game)

There is 1 free week between now and the end of the season.

We play 3 teams who all could finish in top 6 but that can't be decided until they play us.

BluenoseLoyal&True
25-02-2011, 01:09
Don't see how there can be an extension, the SPL wont allow it.

Bknowe
25-02-2011, 01:13
Don't see how there can be an extension, the SPL wont allow it.

How can they play the outstanding games on Time? There isn't enough dates.