PDA

View Full Version : What cost us 10IAR?

Pages : [1] 2

napierbear
28-12-2010, 00:44
As stated.

How much did Walter's decision to announce he was leaving, affect the squad?

Was the Kilmarnock game the point which it was lost?

Too young to really remember.

ShawlandsBIB
28-12-2010, 00:45
Selling Gascoigne half way through the season.

Dropped points at Ibrox against Killie and the sheep effectively killed it.

Aunty Christ
28-12-2010, 00:46
Selling Gazza. Three different people told me it was a "good bit of business". All three were tims.

rez_1873
28-12-2010, 00:46

Gascoigne had been poor on the pitch and his attitude off it worse.

Princess Diana's death cost us 10iar.

wag
28-12-2010, 00:47

nope was a good move
we pretty much just run out of steam after beating the scuma nd then going out the next week and losing to the sheep was the final nail and we didnt have anything left in the tank

PG_Bear
28-12-2010, 00:47
As stated.

I thought at the time the tims got an extra wind after Sir Walter announced he was leaving. I also remember a few poor performances costing us as well.

sonowilliam2
28-12-2010, 00:48

Selling Gazza. Three different people told me it was a "good bit of business". All three were tims.

As above.............

ShawlandsBIB
Gascoigne had been poor on the pitch and his attitude off it worse.

Princess Diana's death cost us 10iar.

Baws, when we played the replay we were winning 1-0 (Negri) and they scored a last minute goal.

Bearsden Bear
We lost a whole load of goals near the end of the season from the left back position.

We should have got a quality left back in, even on loan.

10IAR was sitting there for us, tantalisingly close, but I guess it didn't mean as much to David Murray as it did to the rest of us.

crookie_bear
Marco Negri only playing half a season

Bearsden Bear
28-12-2010, 00:49
Baws, when we played the replay we were winning 1-0 (Negri) and they scored a last minute goal.

From a player who should have been red carded earlier!

As well as Morton Wieghorst, who merited a second yellow . . .

napierbear
Do you think the players fitness levels could have been better? As one poster states we "ran out of steam".

Just wondering about the "team that drank together", maybe if they hadn't drank so often we might have won 10IAR?

shorerdbear
Injuries! Weren't we top by 10 points with 1,2 or three game in hand going into January?

Lauders, Gazza the letting go of Gough and Hately? memory is hazy?

SurreyBear73
That malarkey in Paris didn't help, f**king M16.

Rt. Hon. Bearman
We didn't get enough points.

We lost six games that season.

Worked harder and turned one of those into a win and we'd have won the league.

If yer auntie had baws etc....yes I know, but it's not as if the scum won it by 20+points or anything.

Still leaves a sour taste in the mouth however.

We'll do it one day.

InsanicDrunk
I've always thought selling Gazza was the wrong move, he did have an attitude problem but he was one of they players that had that one spark that could win you the points.

fkmiller
28-12-2010, 00:50
IIRC we threw away a 11/12 pt lead.selling gascoigne mightr not have cost us the 10 cause he was'nt quite the player we knew but what affect losing him had on the team is anyones guess,wattie throwing the towel in probably had more to do with it due to the number of players knowing they would be offski too.the negri sketch put a dampener on things too if memory serves me right.could be wrong though.

Bomber_Jackson
28-12-2010, 00:50
Murrays decision to cash in on Gazza with ten games to go[not half a season].
The behind the scenes unrest also didn't help which was also down to Murrays mistakes.

Bearsden Bear
28-12-2010, 00:51
We gubbed the Tims 2-0 at Ibrox in April, were well on our way to # 10, then just didn't turn up at Pittodrie the following week, losing 1-0 to a Stephen Glass header.

We seemed hell-bent on throwing it away . . .

scottylad72
28-12-2010, 00:52
erm shit happens.........

ibroxkev
28-12-2010, 00:53
At the time I blamed Amoruso for the Pittodrie defeat/losing 10 in a row

wag
28-12-2010, 00:54
We gubbed the Tims 2-0 at Ibrox in April, were well on our way to # 10, then just didn't turn up at Pittodrie the following week, losing 1-0 to a Stephen Glass header.

Thats the game that we blew it

jag
28-12-2010, 00:54
David Robertson leaving, Aberdeen equalising after Brian Laudrup put us 3-2 in front with a wonder goal, and selling Gazza just before Killie beat us unforgiveably 1-0 with a couple of games to go. That's why.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 00:55
Failing to win 3 league games in a row until March/April time was the deciding factor in failing to get the 10.

The poster who "remembers" us throwing away an 11/12 point lead is talking shite. Thanks to our inconsistency throughout, we were playing catch up with Celtic and Hearts for a lot of 1998, I can remember the relief when Albertz crashed in a last minute equaliser against Hearts as we came back from 2-0 down (might have been the game where McCann got Gough sent off.) We finished the season quite strongly, then bottled it after going top with 4 games to go.

Selling Gascoigne had nothing to do with losing 10, he'd become a complete liability on the park and had contributed **** all to Rangers for 15 months by that point.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 00:57
Murrays decision to cash in on Gazza with ten games to go[not half a season].
The behind the scenes unrest also didn't help which was also down to Murrays mistakes.

Selling Gascoigne co-incided with our best form that season.

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 00:58
We let Gough, Robbo, and Hateley go after 9, without adequate replacement then brought Gough back half way through.

Signed Amo to replace Gough and he was injured most of the season.

Alot of new players brought in, some who didn't gel with what we had, some not fit.

Gazza's problems seemed to spiral, that prick Hoddle fecked with his head, sold before we would throw away vital points against Aberdeen and Killie where he could easily have been the difference.

Negri's problems second half of the season, and injuries, loads of feckin injuries constantly it was unreal!

Boabmeister
28-12-2010, 00:59
i'd say it was a bridge too far for that group.

in saying that, Rangers spent spectacularly that summer to freshen it up, porrini, amorosu, gattuso, negri, thern, stensas, even a young barry ferguson emerging. perhaps theres was too much choices to make???:confused:

smith resigning during the season could be a factor, also brian laudrup had tried to leave the previous summer, negri's lack of goals after christmas would be a factor as well, gazza was sold a few months before the season ended, not sure if advocaat had any say in this:confused:amoruso had obviously been earmarked to hold the defence together, but was injured right at the start, goughs return pretty much cancelled this out imo, tbh, i'd say mc coists goals after new year cancelled negri's lack of goals. the tragic death of princess diana was also a contributary factor, a monday night old firm game was cancelled when the tims were all over the place, also when this game was re-scheduled, john rowbothom sent gazza off for something he'd done a year or two previously with septic snatching a late point.

facts are, with 5 games to go, we beat septic to draw level, then lost two of our last 4 games, sheep away, and killie at home.

the week after, Rangers lost the cup final to a decent hearts team as well, we didn't get the rub that day, but we got it on other days so i wouldn't read too much into that.

GGTHEBEAR
Terry Butcher's leg break.

Southern Ger
Laudrup spending 3/4 of the season injured, after accepting bucket loads of cash and the captaincy. I know a fair few bears who are still a bit annoyed with him for that

Gazza being sold. MIght have been good business, but i would have rathered 10

Had nothing to do with Walter leaving

sonowilliam2
Do you think the players fitness levels could have been better? As one poster states we "ran out of steam".

Just wondering about the "team that drank together", maybe if they hadn't drank so often we might have won 10IAR?

Please tell me that you're at the madam here ??

As a famous tennis player once said...

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!!

Clark
28-12-2010, 01:01
I can remember very little about the 10IAR season, it wasn't untill reading this thread that it reminded me we even sold Gazza then - I've obviously just erased it from my mind as I was so gutted at the time!

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 01:02

Even after that game that rattlers dropped 4 more points.

They stumbled over the line with a defeat (to us), 2 draws and 2 wins in their last 5 games. We chucked it after clawing them back with losing 2 of our last 4, criminal.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 01:04

What difference would an unfit, alcoholic waster who hadn't kicked a ball for 15 months possibly have made to our push for 10?

Getting 3.5m for the clown was daylight robbery.

Bomber_Jackson
28-12-2010, 01:04
Laudrup spending 3/4 of the season injured, after accepting bucket loads of cash and the captaincy. I know a fair few bears who are still a bit annoyed with him for that

I've still to meet a Rangers man who would bad mouth Brian Laudrup.You must be meeting different Rangers men from the ones i meet.:roll:

sonowilliam2
28-12-2010, 01:07

This is another major factor,and at the time many of us thought that we were well on our way to winning the league title that year.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 01:07
I've still to meet a Rangers man who would bad mouth Brian Laudrup.You must be meeting different Rangers men from the ones i meet.:roll:

If God spent 3/4 of the season injured as this taig claims, how did he manage to play 28/36 league games?

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 01:09
What difference would an unfit, alcoholic waster who hadn't kicked a ball for 15 months possibly have made to our push for 10?

Getting 3.5m for the clown was daylight robbery.

All we had to do was beat Killie at home, true his form wasn't great by that stage but it's a fine line, selling him when we did achieved nothing.

daviecoopersleftpeg
28-12-2010, 01:11
We can all guess,but personally at the time i always thought the Gazza transfer at the time would cost us big time and so it proved.

People may argue there was no guarantee he would have delivered the goods,but i would rather he was there than not

Its all hypothetical,but my gut feeling is if we had kept Gazza 2 the end of the season he just mite have made the difference.

Bomber_Jackson
28-12-2010, 01:12
All we had to do was beat Killie at home, true his form wasn't great by that stage but it's a fine line, selling him when we did achieved nothing.
Murray would have got the same fee for him at the end of the season.As you said,selling him achieved feck all.

WokinghamBear
28-12-2010, 01:13
Fitting a raft of new players into the squad
McLaren's injury meaning he wasn't available
Walter Smith announcing his departure around October
The players being blind pissed in between games
Negri dropping out of the side after scoring a huge number of goals in the first half of the season
Selling Gascoigne in March - he was a complete carcrash by that stage but he was still capable of doing that 'something' to turn a game in Rangers favour.
Dropping stupid points all over the place - especially away from home - a couple of drawn matches being turned into wins would have seen 10 secured.

Truth is that if the season went on for another fortnight, Rangers might well have got their nose in front - it was a strange season all told.

suramericaranger
28-12-2010, 01:16
Poor performances.

napierbear
28-12-2010, 01:20
Fitting a raft of new players into the squad
McLaren's injury meaning he wasn't available
Walter Smith announcing his departure around October
The players being blind pissed in between games
Negri dropping out of the side after scoring a huge number of goals in the first half of the season
Selling Gascoigne in March - he was a complete carcrash by that stage but he was still capable of doing that 'something' to turn a game in Rangers favour.
Dropping stupid points all over the place - especially away from home - a couple of drawn matches being turned into wins would have seen 10 secured.

Truth is that if the season went on for another fortnight, Rangers might well have got their nose in front - it was a strange season all told.

This is what I wondered earlier, sonofwilliam.

Did it make a difference? Did some of the players have the wrong attitude during such an important season?

jcEK
28-12-2010, 01:22
This is another major factor,and at the time many of us thought that we were well on our way to winning the league title that year.

Did i miss something ? Butcher broke his leg in 1987 and left in 1990 ?

Surely he wasnt to blame for 10inarow

jcEK
28-12-2010, 01:24
ok get it 1st not last

:mad:

Rt. Hon. Bearman
28-12-2010, 01:32
Did i miss something ? Butcher broke his leg in 1987 and left in 1990 ?

Surely he wasnt to blame for 10inarow

The implication is that had he stayed fit, we'd have won the title in 1987/88, and thus begun the march to 10IAR a season earlier. So what in reality was our 8IAR season (1995/96) would have been title #10.

super_ally_the2nd
28-12-2010, 01:33
from memory, I think Walter was too loyal to the 'old guard' IMO, though he was unlucky with injuries to Amoruso before the season start (resulting in King Richard making a return within a few weeks) and Negri's injury (whatever the circumstances) coming in January when he was in phenomenal form for the first half of the season. Walter's annoucment that he was leaving at the end of the season didn't help in hindsight.

also lost a lot of silly points that season, losing at Tannadice in the October(?) when the goalie tried to play football, blowing a 1-0 lead at Fir Park to lose 1-2, a draw (which they should never have had a sniff of) and a defeat at the Piggery, drawing away to Killie in February (communication breakdown between goalie and bjorklund), scraping to a home draw with Hearts (who were in contention for a fair bit) in March and the home defeat to Killie which all but gifted them the title (despite their slip the following day in the tv game)

Harry's Da
28-12-2010, 01:34
The implication is that had he stayed fit, we'd have won the title in 1987/88, and thus begun the march to 10IAR a season earlier. So what in reality was our 9IAR season (1996/97) would have been title #10.

So in reality, if my auntie had baws.........................

Rt. Hon. Bearman
28-12-2010, 01:35
So in reality, if my auntie had baws.........................

Yep, that's one way of looking at it.

Though if that's your attitude then this probably isn't the thread for you anyway.

Harry's Da
from memory, I think Walter was too loyal to the 'old guard' IMO, though he was unlucky with injuries to Amoruso before the season start (resulting in King Richard making a return within a few weeks) and Negri's injury (whatever the circumstances) coming in January when he was in phenomenal form for the first half of the season. Walter's annoucment that he was leaving at the end of the season didn't help in hindsight.

also lost a lot of silly points that season, losing at Tannadice in the October(?) when the goalie tried to play football, blowing a 1-0 lead at Fir Park to lose 1-2, a draw (which they should never have had a sniff of) and a defeat at the Piggery, drawing away to Killie in February (communication breakdown between goalie and bjorklund), scraping to a home draw with Hearts (who were in contention for a fair bit) in March and the home defeat to Killie which all but gifted them the title (despite their slip the following day in the tv game)

My thoughts also.

WokinghamBear

Did it make a difference? Did some of the players have the wrong attitude during such an important season?

I think years of it took their toll on the players physically as much as anything else.

I was also led to believe at the time there were also some players who viewed that if they did it on a Saturday then nothing else mattered - leading to some ill feeling in the squad as the ones sober enough to turn up for training each day but maybe not play on a Saturday felt royally f@cked off.

Harry's Da
28-12-2010, 01:38
Yep, that's one way of looking at it.

Though if that's your attitude then this probably isn't the thread for you anyway.

So what is my thread?

To even mention Butchers leg break as being a reason for not making 10 never mind explaining it is laughable.

Rt. Hon. Bearman
28-12-2010, 01:40
So what is my thread?

To even mention Butchers leg break as being a reason for not making 10 never mind explaining it is laughable.

All about opinions.

NIfifer
28-12-2010, 01:47
Smith's repeated selection of a fat, past-it McCoist.

sonowilliam2
28-12-2010, 01:49

I grant you only one or two were maybe at it,the following picture was captured as they ran through the fields of Adams thigh...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2pzenx3.jpg

To this day they remain unknowing

fkmiller
28-12-2010, 01:49
Failing to win 3 league games in a row until March/April time was the deciding factor in failing to get the 10.

The poster who "remembers" us throwing away an 11/12 point lead is talking shite. Thanks to our inconsistency throughout, we were playing catch up with Celtic and Hearts for a lot of 1998, I can remember the relief when Albertz crashed in a last minute equaliser against Hearts as we came back from 2-0 down (might have been the game where McCann got Gough sent off.) We finished the season quite strongly, then bottled it after going top with 4 games to go.

Selling Gascoigne had nothing to do with losing 10, he'd become a complete liability on the park and had contributed **** all to Rangers for 15 months by that point.the end of my post said i could be wrong.not talking shite mate just the old memory playing tricks.i'm thinking at one stage in the season we were well in front.7/8 pts or 11/12 pts is irrelevent,we tossed it away.the OP is asking what happened,thats my take on it.IIRC of course.

Boabmeister
28-12-2010, 01:50

do you know much about Rangers mate?:confused:

Bomber_Jackson
28-12-2010, 01:52

Eh??????????????

htws
28-12-2010, 02:18
There was a bit of a mystery in Walter quitting early in that final season or did SDM give him a push,seem to remember Joe Lewis had some say in running the club at that time.
SDM was chasing Advocaat all over Europe just after the Smith announcement,curious?

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 02:34
There was a bit of a mystery in Walter quitting early in that final season or did SDM give him a push,seem to remember Joe Lewis had some say in running the club at that time.
SDM was chasing Advocaat all over Europe just after the Smith announcement,curious?

It seemed to come down to Venables or Advocaat, there was alot of suggestion El Tel was going to get it before it became clear Advocaat was the man.

Europe that year did for Smith, huge expectations with the new foreign signings, second half collapse in Gotheburg was the final straw for many after 4 years dissapointment. Probably there was an element of him being pushed towards resignation, how much and from who exactly hard to say.

sonowilliam2
28-12-2010, 02:44

Selling Gascoigne had nothing to do with losing 10, he'd become a complete liability on the park and had contributed **** all to Rangers for 15 months by that point.

Interesting,maybe one for the staticians amongst us

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 02:46

Super got 16 goals from 26 appearences that season. Often benched for league games, should probably have been used more from the start.

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 08:47
has everyone on this forum drank to much and lost there memory ?
Only one man to blame for us losing it , MURRAY.
He stated publicly on at least 2 occasions
that 9 in a row was a monkey on the clubs back and something we had to lose the sooner the better.
The tenth season was the easiest of them all to win but us having so much success devalued the league in murrays eyes meaning less money being made hence why he kept telling us we have to lose the monkey on our back.
Look at the full season ,look how games and results don't add up ,why would we sell Gazza at a point when we needed him ,keep a manager that wants to leave .
So we have laupdrup a player wanting to leave and being kept till end of season and Gazza wanting to stay and being chased mid season and a manager that's told the team and fans he is for the off
, all very strange indeed unfill you remember the chairmen words - we have to lose the monkey from our back-.
Its often been said Rangers and the tims need each other to profit , our chairman has never been a Rangers fan so the status quo suited him and his counterparts at the piggery.
For me and thousands of others the money didn't matter winning the ten would have stuffed it right into those bassa s like never before and we had the chance to do it, right before our eyes.

Sadly it wasn't to happen and we lost he monkey off our back just like our chairman wanted.
To me 9 in a row was special not because of selic but as it meant we equalled the record set by the Rangers team under Struth ,something people seem to have forgotten and credited that mob with doing first.
Ten was the big one but only to the people with Rangers at heart ,THE FANS.

barcabear1968
28-12-2010, 08:53
We let Gough, Robbo, and Hateley go after 9, without adequate replacement then brought Gough back half way through.

Signed Amo to replace Gough and he was injured most of the season.

Alot of new players brought in, some who didn't gel with what we had, some not fit.

Gazza's problems seemed to spiral, that prick Hoddle fecked with his head, sold before we would throw away vital points against Aberdeen and Killie where he could easily have been the difference.

Negri's problems second half of the season, and injuries, loads of feckin injuries constantly it was unreal!

Wasn't Hateley sold before 9 and we brought him back on loan to secure it with a few games left?

Sam_English
28-12-2010, 08:53

Dropped points at Ibrox against Killie and the sheep effectively killed it.Rangers were correct selling Gazza when they did.He was becoming a liability and on the road to self destruction.

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 08:58
the game at the piggery was screaming out for him to play , he was well fired up but we choose to leave It till to late then bring Gazza on, he still almost got us back as well. Strange one again.

Seth-Bullock
28-12-2010, 09:01

Proving once again just how clueless you really are.

keldo82
28-12-2010, 09:05
The signing of Jardel falling through?

Jet Harris
28-12-2010, 09:15

Good call and absolutely spot on imo. Too easy to focus on the end of the run when talking about TIAR.

Lindsay Robertson
28-12-2010, 09:41

Agreed, although Gazza was struggling for fitness at that point even a couple of games out of him could have won us the league.

Allez
28-12-2010, 09:42
A lot of factors already mentioned, but the main one for me was the Negri fiasco. Whatever the circumstances were behind his "demise", the upshot was we lost a guy who was absolutely terrifying the rest of the league with his goal threat.

If he had stayed fit I think we'd have done just enough.

Also, Walter wasn't comfortable with trying to get so many non-British players into a side to play a European style game. It just wasn't his own philosophy.

Sam_English
28-12-2010, 09:45
So what is my thread?

Butcher breaking his leg against Aberdeen,probably contributed more than anything to us losing the league that season.

craigie
28-12-2010, 09:45

Gascoigne had hardly kicked a ball for us in that season. Too many sill dropped points by a team running on empty was the main reason.

25/10

gertilidie
28-12-2010, 09:53
I still say if a certain person hadn't been whoring it up in Paris , tne events would have panned out normally and we would have won 10 at a canter

gertilidie
28-12-2010, 09:58
So what is my thread?

if he had not broke his leg we would have had 10 two seasons earlier, how is this laughable

ionasdad
28-12-2010, 10:01
THe golaie suddenly becoming fallible was also a factor a 2.1 loss at tannadice and the 2.2 draw with hearts immediately spring to mind as games he lost bad goals in . there were others just don't come to mind at the moment.

In general the passage of timw caught up wioth a lot of players

I think a factor was the desire was not the same ,it was as if well if we get ten its a bonus.

Laudrup was not nearly as influential, we had come to place an over reliance on him with no real strength throughout the side. the tactic from 96/97 on was more and more seemed to be just get it to laudrup and he will make it happen .

Negri had compensated for that until his injury. If he had stayed fit we would have won the ten.

So even in my ramblings there are a whole host of factors which conspired against us

FalkirkTrueBlue1873
28-12-2010, 10:09
Selling Gazza in March,He was still the one that could find that extra bit of magic.

gers1978
28-12-2010, 10:13
I remember the players coming off the park after the Killie defeat - McCall & McCoist were in tears, their faces told you they knew 10 was gone.

For the last game, we needed more from Tannadice than Celtic got at home to St Johnstone. I was at the beamback, we were 1 up on Utd and some twat in the Broomloan put the shout up that St J had scored. By the time we settled down we realised it was Celtic who had scored.

Markyboy44
28-12-2010, 10:13
has everyone on this forum drank to much and lost there memory ?
Only one man to blame for us losing it , MURRAY.
He stated publicly on at least 2 occasions
that 9 in a row was a monkey on the clubs back and something we had to lose the sooner the better.
The tenth season was the easiest of them all to win but us having so much success devalued the league in murrays eyes meaning less money being made hence why he kept telling us we have to lose the monkey on our back.
Look at the full season ,look how games and results don't add up ,why would we sell Gazza at a point when we needed him ,keep a manager that wants to leave .
So we have laupdrup a player wanting to leave and being kept till end of season and Gazza wanting to stay and being chased mid season and a manager that's told the team and fans he is for the off
, all very strange indeed unfill you remember the chairmen words - we have to lose the monkey from our back-.
Its often been said Rangers and the tims need each other to profit , our chairman has never been a Rangers fan so the status quo suited him and his counterparts at the piggery.
For me and thousands of others the money didn't matter winning the ten would have stuffed it right into those bassa s like never before and we had the chance to do it, right before our eyes.

Sadly it wasn't to happen and we lost he monkey off our back just like our chairman wanted.
To me 9 in a row was special not because of selic but as it meant we equalled the record set by the Rangers team under Struth ,something people seem to have forgotten and credited that mob with doing first.
Ten was the big one but only to the people with Rangers at heart ,THE FANS.

I think this sums it up perfectly. I am alo of the opinion that if Butcher had stayed fit we could have easily got 10 sooner. As MFDM says we SHOULD have easily won 10IAR- something which I am gutted about :(

The_Gub
28-12-2010, 10:15

The management.

Incidentally, a couple of draws versus Dunfermline didn't help the cause either.

Oh, and Gascoigne was transferred in the Feb/March, not half way through the season.

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 10:27
if anyone ever gets the chance ask craig moore why we didn't win it ;-)
The chairman loved money not Rangers, we were never going to win 10.
Also worth a mention was the leg break of Terry Butcher , the tackle came from big Eck. I can still see it in my minds eye and hear the horrible noise of the break as I was sitting very close to the challenge.

Markyboy44
28-12-2010, 10:32
if anyone ever gets the chance ask craig moore why we didn't win it ;-)
The chairman loved money not Rangers, we were never going to win 10.
Also worth a mention was the leg break of Terry Butcher , the tackle came from big Eck. I can still see it in my minds eye and hear the horrible noise of the break as I was sitting very close to the challenge.

Yes- midweek night in November- we lost 1-0 to Aberdeen- I kind of knew that night we werent going to win the league :(

Mr_Doubtfire
28-12-2010, 10:37

That is 100% correct and any other reason given is pure nonsense.

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 10:45

Nonsense you say , ok tell me of any other club in the world of football who's chairman has said winning their league is "a monkey on their back".
I know the chairman of Rosenburg didn't feel it was so bad when his team were winning in a similar manner to us.

ionasdad
28-12-2010, 10:49

Sorry far too simplistic there were a number of factors of which that is undoubtedly one.

jonathan72
28-12-2010, 10:51
Drawing 1-1 with Celtic on the 19th November 97(Re-arranged fixture from the death of Lady Di)
If we had won that night would have opened up a six point lead.

Last minute goal from Stubbswho should have been red carded.
Robotham getting revenge on Gazza by sending him off for a ludicrous elbow on wieghorst.
I still have the full 90 minutes on DVD.

amabluestar
28-12-2010, 10:57
Walter anouncing he was leaving at the end of the season at our AGM.
Gascoigne leaving.
Negri injury.
Laudrup never performed the way he did in previous seasons.
Biggest one for me though was Stubbs late equaliser at the piggery in november.
A win that night we would have just about gone out of sight, and they were collapsing till that result came along.:(

Wiggy1690
28-12-2010, 10:59

Was Gascoigne not sold in March/April time?

motherwellblue
28-12-2010, 11:03
getting beat 1-0 at shittodrie when the smallest guy on the pitch ,cameron,scored with a header.

amabluestar
28-12-2010, 11:04
Was Gascoigne not sold in March/April time?

Yes, but missed a bit of the season through injury as well.

malky23
28-12-2010, 11:05
I was 12 when we lost 10 and can remember most of that season. My dug died the night we lost a last minute equaliser at the bheggardome, Negri should have had a hat trick that night.
Who all signed that season?
I can remember Stensaas,Thern, Amoruso, Negri, Gattuso? Who else?

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 11:07
I still remember the banner left at Ibrox main doors.
"sold Gazza sold the league"
But Murray already knew that.

Seth-Bullock
28-12-2010, 11:09
So you're saying Murray deliberately tried to sabotage his own clubs title challenge?

thepilot
28-12-2010, 11:11
Marco Negri taking the huff....if he hadn't, we wouldn't have lost 1-0 to Killie or drew any of the other games...Knob..FACT

manfromdelmonte
28-12-2010, 11:14
if murray wanted to win it like the fans did we would have, it was by far the easiest of the ten seasons to win. He told us all "its a monkey on the clubs back " a monkey they had to lose.

Seth-Bullock
28-12-2010, 11:15
if murray wanted to win it like the fans did we would have, it was by far the easiest of the ten seasons to win. He told us all "its a monkey on the clubs back " a monkey they had to lose.

How much money did he give Smith to spend the summer after 9?

dh1963
28-12-2010, 11:18
A combination of things.

Amoruso injured pre season and not appearing till April.
Negri disappearing after scoring at will for 4 months.
Davie Robertson leaving in the summer and not having a decent left back.
Lots of signings made but no real replacement for the core of the 9 in a row team, who were starting to creak a bit.
Laudrup not being the genius he had been, and announcing he was leaving.
Gascoigne not being the genius he had been, and missing a big chunk of the season before being sold.
The hunger to win 9 didn't seem to be the same for winning 10.

craigie
28-12-2010, 11:22

Can you tell me what Gascoigne had contributed that season prior to being sold to Middlesborough?

25/10

Markyboy44
28-12-2010, 11:26
Can you tell me what Gascoigne had contributed that season prior to being sold to Middlesborough?

25/10

That's what this thread is all about mate- it's opinions. I agree with MFDM- if you look at his original post you will see that selling Gascoigne is one of the factors he mentions. IMO Gascoigne could have been a turning point in a few of the remaining games that we had although there were other factors as well for not doing the magical 10.

paisleyprod
28-12-2010, 11:30
So what is my thread?

actually it isn't. Its a sensible answer. Think about the other end of the run not when it ended but when it could have begun!

paisleyprod
28-12-2010, 11:33
we seemed to lack motivation.
Walter announced he was offski and being loyal to some that were probably past it.
Amoruso being crocked.
As for Rowbottham, he sent Gazza off but let Weighorst away with a virtual rugby tackle on Gazza that lead to Gazza trying to free himself.
A woeful performance losing at Beggardome at new year, losing to the sheep with another toothless showing.
Gazza and Laudrup doing very little.

dh1963
28-12-2010, 11:35
we seemed to lack motivation.
Walter announced he was offski and being loyal to some that were probably past it.
Amoruso being crocked.
As for Rowbottham, he sent Gazza off but let Weighorst away with a virtual rugby tackle on Gazza that lead to Gazza trying to free himself.
A woeful performance losing at Beggardome at new year, losing to the sheep with another toothless showing.
Gazza and Laudrup doing very little.

For me, thats the one biggest factor. We had won the previous 2 titles mainly down to their creative genius, and the number of goals they chipped in too.

We never could replace that when those 2 failed to produce it as regularly.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 11:36
What cost us 10 in a row ?

An appalling attitude from the coaching staff and players both on and off the park. The fitness and application from those involved was an utter disgrace at times. They know who they are.

Letting that horseshit Celtic squad will that title should be an embarassment to them.

baselbear
28-12-2010, 11:37

They were rotten when the game was postponed. We would have beaten them easily.

They got Lambert in in the interim and that stiffened them up so that they were still in the game to get that late equaliser. He also got a goal in the second game at the piggery.

W3 R THE P3OPLE
28-12-2010, 11:42
looking back I think there was a number of events cost us 10 IAR, firstly Wattie saying he was going ,selling Gazza ,some might say it was good business but he was one guy who when it mattered could have given that wee bit of magic and also I believe keep the dressing room together even though my third point would be that the team was a little jaded and needed somebody to keep their spirits up and cross the line,sadly it did not happen and the rest is history.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 11:43
BTW, selling Gazza didn't cost us.

He had seven months to make a difference that season and did fu.ck all for us. His agents were more interested in screwing more money out of us by hawking him around clubs like Crystal Palace and Sunderland, he was more interested in boozing down south with Messrs Evans and Baker than he was in keeping fit for the club that paid his wages.

Make no mistake, Gascoigne was an absolute disgrace to the club that season in terms of effort and attitude.

The fact that Smith, one of the very few guys who went to bat for Gascoigne, had had enough and kicked him out should say it all.

cameross
28-12-2010, 11:43

David Murray by selling Gazza

delboy79
28-12-2010, 11:48
I agree with those who are saying that selling Gazza did NOT cost us the title that year. He was an absolute shadow of his former self. The booze looked like it was really starting to hit him hard & I can remeber him looking gaunt in comparison to how he looked when we 1st signed him.

We had some very average players in the team at that time & the starting 11 was chopped & changed on a weekly basis. Negri dissapearing didn't help. If we had held on to the 1-0 at the piggery then I reckon it would have sealed the title. Instead they scored with a last gasp equaliser & it gave them a bit of belief that they should never have been allowed to have.

Allez
28-12-2010, 11:51
Murray sabotaging the title charge - that really is a cracker :D

Didn't make a good job of it did he? We were right in it up til the final day.

Earl of Leven
28-12-2010, 11:52

An appalling attitude from the coaching staff and players both on and off the park. The fitness and application from those involved was an utter disgrace at times. They know who they are.

Letting that horseshit Celtic squad will that title should be an embarassment to them.

This.

No worries facing the scum...everyone motivated then. The rest of the time? A shambles....lazy, half paced, some players openly not trying.

Harry's Da
28-12-2010, 11:53
Butcher breaking his leg against Aberdeen,probably contributed more than anything to us losing the league that season.

Without any shadow of doubt, but it had hee haw to do with us not doing 10.

stevethebluenose90
28-12-2010, 11:54
How many points did we finish behind sellik?

Markyboy44
28-12-2010, 11:56
Without any shadow of doubt, but it had hee haw to do with us not doing 10.

If we had won the lague that year we would have did 10 sooner mate- think the opposite way around.

Wearapeepil
I felt at the time the players stopped playing for Walter after he announced he was leaving.

I think he thought it would maybe be the opposite, but history tells a different story.

britain
Inconsistency.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 11:57
Murray would have got the same fee for him at the end of the season.As you said,selling him achieved feck all.

Would he have ?

Even after his alcoholic rampage at La Manga in the summer where he trashed his manager's room in a rage at not being picked for the World Cup after a day of heavy bevvying from 8am onwards ?

BTW, he wasn't picked for the World Cup for the same reason Rangers punted him. His attitude and fitness were deplorable. He couldn't be relied on.

Which club would've spent 3.5m on him after that ?

amabluestar
28-12-2010, 11:57
Murray sabotaging the title charge - that really is a cracker :D

Didn't make a good job of it did he? We were right in it up til the final day.

Aye, but it was a fooking monkey off his back.:mad:
Stated it himself.

dh1963
28-12-2010, 11:58
How many points did we finish behind sellik?

We beat them 2-0 at Ibrox to go top on goal difference with just 4 games left.

Celtic won 2 and drew 2 of their last 4 games (drew at home to Dundee Utd and away at Dunfermline).

We won 2 and lost 2 of our last 4 games (lost at Aberdeen and home to Killie).

So they won it by 2 points.

paisleyprod
28-12-2010, 12:00
whilst 9 was great, we were so far ahead during that period against utter dross - we should have made it 12 or 13 in a row.

Earl of Leven
28-12-2010, 12:01
whilst 9 was great, we were so far ahead during that period against utter dross - we should have made it 12 or 13 in a row.

The closing of the gap was a real eye opener and a huge factor in getting me involved in fanzine culture etc.....we were outspending the rest of league let alone Celtic, and then they get organised and win league. In a year? Our success was built on shifting sands and many of us realise it then, albeit still too late....

crockle creek dingos
28-12-2010, 12:02

Find it hard to argue with this. :agree:

Der Berliner
28-12-2010, 12:03
Thought at the time it was a bad omen that Walter decided to call it a day half-way (?) down the season. Of course, the sharp decline of Negri's shooting ability after that injury didn't help either. But on hindside, inconsistency on various levels cost us most.

Still remember the cup final against Hearts that year, with a number of inglorious decisions by the ref, amongst other things.

isawthat
28-12-2010, 12:04
Muli reasons

1...Walter saying he was leaving.

2...An aging squad that had been to the well too often.

3...The Norse God looking after himself, not trying 100%, to be fit for a big pay day with Chelsea.

4...Gazza hitting the bottle big time, turning up for training and for a couple of games under the influence.

5...The Goalie spending too much time in the bookies, spending too much time with his zip down, and drinking too much for his own and our good.

In my opinion these were the main reasons, but there was a few more lurking in the background.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 12:05
The closing of the gap was a real eye opener and a huge factor in getting me involved in fanzine culture etc.....we were outspending the rest of league let alone Celtic, and then they get organised and win league. In a year? Our success was built on shifting sands and many of us realise it then, albeit still too late....

This was the regular starting XI for the Tims that won the league

Gould

Boyd
Rieper
Stubbs
Mahe

McNamara
Lambert
Burley
Wieghorst

Donnelly
Larsson

Throw in the fact they sold two of their best players by the start of the season(Cadete, Di Canio) and another one midway through it (Thom) and it's an absolute disgrace we allowed a shower of shit like that to win a title.

Grant
28-12-2010, 12:06

I'm reliably informed that we haven't met yet?

If God spent 3/4 of the season injured as this taig claims, how did he manage to play 28/36 league games?

Laurdup wanted to go and pkay beside his brother and Murray threw cash and the armband at him to make it impossible for him to walk away.
He simply hid out on the wing and in the treatment room to avoid injury for the majority of the season.
My memories of Laudrup will always be tainted because of this, he was useless in his final year, albeit only because he'd set the standard so high in his previous seasons.

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 12:14

They had a better side than that year in the two previous seasons probably , they got more points in those seasons, only lost 1 game in one of them.

Can't agree that we were just plodding along untill the scum sorted themselves out, 97-98 saw us drop significantly more points than in the 2 or 3 previous seasons we fell away that year it wasn't about them suddenly getting better and us paying the price. They were that poor we nearly got away with it.

Disco DeeJay
28-12-2010, 12:15
A League is played over 38 games (at present) and points are dropped over several games, so I don't think that any one factor could ever cost you a league title.

There will always be a combination of factors.

In the 10IAR Season they were:

A horrendous run of injuries in the 2nd half of the season.

Players either running out of steam in the last 4 games, or playing when not fully fit.

Gazza leaving.

Walter and Laudrup knowing they were leaving, which combined to Gazza must have had other players believing that the NIAR team was ageing and breaking up.

But in my opinion the main factor was Marco Negri's 'injury.' 23 goals in his first 10 games. 2 goals in the rest of the season. If he had maintained even half of his early form he'd have scored a goal a game and we would have walked the league.

Bill the Butcher
28-12-2010, 12:17

Incorrect, that cost us 11IAR!

Harry's Da
28-12-2010, 12:19
If we had won the lague that year we would have did 10 sooner mate- think the opposite way around.

I fully understand that mate, the thread is what cost us 10, Butcher breaking his leg had feck all to with that.
We could and should have made it 10, the reasons we failed are relevant to that season only.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 12:21

Laurdup wanted to go and pkay beside his brother and Murray threw cash and the armband at him to make it impossible for him to walk away.
He simply hid out on the wing and in the treatment room to avoid injury for the majority of the season.
My memories of Laudrup will always be tainted because of this, he was useless in his final year, albeit only because he'd set the standard so high in his previous seasons.

He must've been shit at avoiding injuries because in that final season he had chickenpox, an achilles problem(which finished his career two years later), a back injury and a thigh injury.

The thigh injury one is interesting. It was caused by Sheepshagging thug Kevin Christie for Motherwell where he basically bodychecked Laudrup onto the touchline and got away with it. Laudrup was forced off at half time and was ruled out of the Strasbourg game in midweek.

Laudrup however, flew in his own physiopherapist and reflexologist at his own expense on the Sunday in an effort to get fit for the Tuesday.

Don't let anyone tell you Laudrup never gave a shit that season. It is bullshit. The guy was physically shattered in his final season.

Harry's Da
28-12-2010, 12:25

A tainted memory of Laudrup :eek: You, I believe, are a one off.

Earl of Leven
28-12-2010, 12:27
Can't agree that we were just plodding along untill the scum sorted themselves out,

It's what the evidence points to....we had more money, a better stadium, more fans and better players and yet emerged from NIAR with debt, no training facilities, no youth system etc.

CoatbridgeBear
28-12-2010, 12:47
I was young at the time but consistency when it mattered seemed lacking. From memory we flew out he traps and had a good gap in January but from there never seemed to keep turning the screw. By the time it got to the run in I was never confident we would do what was needed.

Now the reason for that consistency. Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist, Negri with various issues and whilst there were some great players brought in the simple fact was that it wasn't enough.

struthpark
28-12-2010, 13:13
Lot of points I agree with here..

Still say the death of Princess Di cost us. As I remember the public grief only built up through the week, and in my mind that game was called off because the SPL knew what the British public would be hearing on TV, We'd have murdered them if the game had gone ahead on schedule.

Marco Negri. whatever the circumstances of his injury, he was the difference. To the poster above, I actually agree that McCoist was below his best that season, but he played because we needed him.

Brian Laudrup. Best Rangers player I've ever seen, but in hindsight we should have taken the money. I don't agree he was hiding, and events at Chelsea showed it wasn't all about the money, but he wasn't quite right, and I think he was a bit turn up inside by all the attention. There was something emotionally fragile about him, that's why he wasn't happy in Italy and we got him, but once he decided his time was up he wasn't the same.

Walter did spend some money and tried to freshen the team up, but when it came to the crunch he was forced to rely on his old guard.

Paul Gascoigne. No loss. to my mind he contributed nothing and we were better off with him out the picture. again, events since then back that up.

Walter leaving - don't have an issue with that, happens all the time, and I don't see it doing us any harm this year. If he hadn't announced it I think there would have been a lot of speculation anyway.

Jonas Thern and Lorenzo Amoruso - how many games did we get out of them ?

G1RUY
28-12-2010, 13:20
What cost us 10IAR?

Sergio Porrini's wife!

loyd_grossman
28-12-2010, 13:22
Tin hat on, but maybe us, the fans, should take part of the blame. the amount of criticism the team received after getting knocked out of two Euro tournaments early in the season was unbelieveable.

subwayandloyal
28-12-2010, 13:35
As stated.

Playing one up front in said game when killie had ten behind the ball and others cost us the title. As much as i appreciate what Walters done for us he blew it big time with his cautious aproach in some games especialy at home.

dublinbluenose
28-12-2010, 13:42
Negri going loopy after a (ahem) game of squash with sergio porrini,he scored two goals from january to maydidn't help,but we threw away points at ibrox v the sheep and after a really good start to the season goram had a howler v dundee utd at tannadice and cost us two goals that day,not forgetting his OG v the sheep at the sheep pen when we were winning 2-1.

ssblue
28-12-2010, 13:44
Don't let anyone tell you Laudrup never gave a shit that season. It is bullshit. The guy was physically shattered in his final season.

That shattered that he had a great World Cup right after it.

Genius and legend that he was/is, he was coasting throughout 97/98.

He was one of many reasons we lost the league.

Hearts were giving us the most trouble right up until February with an even worse squad than Celtic.

crockle creek dingos
28-12-2010, 13:45
Agree with a lot of the points made.

I remember pre season in July 97 we had 2 Rangers teams playing against each other in a friendly at Ibrox as if to say we've got a squad here that will run away with the league.I thought we were certain to win it myself.
Sadly i feel we may have had the squad to win it but not the attitude.
We raised our game when it suited us.
To play the Beggars off the park in April with 4 games to go & put ourselves in the driving seat then go to Pittodrie & lose the following week was criminal albeit with some shocking refereeing.
The defeat at home to Kilmarnock in the last home game of the season was also a disgrace. We were woeful that day.
The day after our defeat at home to Kilmarnock the beggars went to Dunfermline needing a win to win their 1st League title in a decade & all they could get was a draw.
That said it all to me about how pish they were.
We gave that league to them on a plate when history should have been made by us.

The_Gub
28-12-2010, 13:48
He must've been shit at avoiding injuries because in that final season he had chickenpox, an achilles problem(which finished his career two years later), a back injury and a thigh injury.

The thigh injury one is interesting. It was caused by Sheepshagging thug Kevin Christie for Motherwell where he basically bodychecked Laudrup onto the touchline and got away with it. Laudrup was forced off at half time and was ruled out of the Strasbourg game in midweek.

Laudrup however, flew in his own physiopherapist and reflexologist at his own expense on the Sunday in an effort to get fit for the Tuesday.

Absolutely bang on the money Dunc.

The pish you get on here at times.

We won the first OF game in November because of Laudrup.

We would not have won the Scottish Cup semi without Laudrup either.

Without a doubt Gazza was at his best in the '8' season, but Laudrup had been carrying us since he came to the club in 94.

Captain_Buns
28-12-2010, 13:48
As stated.

Walter was making the same mistakes back then as he is now (to a certain degree), ie he played the same group of players week in week out when it was plain to see they were knackered.

spirit_of_93
28-12-2010, 13:51
It's what the evidence points to....we had more money, a better stadium, more fans and better players and yet emerged from NIAR with debt, no training facilities, no youth system etc.

Indeed, but there were problems specific to that particular season, we saw off a better Celtic team in the two previous seasons.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 14:06
That shattered that he had a great World Cup right after it.

Genius and legend that he was/is, he was coasting throughout 97/98.

He was one of many reasons we lost the league.

Hearts were giving us the most trouble right up until February with an even worse squad than Celtic.

He had two great games against Nigeria and Brazil. He was decent in the opening round but no more.

Say what you want about Laudrup but I wager he wasn't spending recuperation time boozing like fu.ck and generally acting like an arse like some of his team mates were that year.

balfy boy
28-12-2010, 14:06
The illustrious Mr David Murray should never have revealed that Walter,Laudrup or anyone else was leaving until the end of that season but seemed to take great delight in doing so. Also the fact that he was away having tea and scones with that wee cross eyed topper McCann then talking about getting the 10 in a row monkey off our backs. for me he should've been hounded out off Ibrox there & then for that.

Iron Fist
28-12-2010, 14:11
Walter Smith. Simples.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 14:11
Tin hat on, but maybe us, the fans, should take part of the blame. the amount of criticism the team received after getting knocked out of two Euro tournaments early in the season was unbelieveable.

It was 100% deserved.

A multi million pound squad featuring several internationals which just had a 15m upgrade in the summer and we were humiliated not once but twice by firstly a part time team and secondly a team who were third bottom of the French League in the space of five weeks.

3 defeats in 4 game, 8 goals conceded and just three goals scored. We weren't just beaten. We were absolutely humiliated.

The team deserved all they got.

ssblue
28-12-2010, 14:17
He had two great games against Nigeria and Brazil. He was decent in the opening round but no more.

Say what you want about Laudrup but I wager he wasn't spending recuperation time boozing like fu.ck and generally acting like an arse like some of his team mates were that year.

From memory he played very well against South Africa but was quiet in the France game. Cannot remember the other group game without looking it up.

Overall he had a very good tournament showing form that he only showed in flashes for us that season.

2nd point? You are right, he would not have been. One of the worst culprits on that one would have been his best mate.

angiegascoigne
28-12-2010, 14:32
I was still young. But i think Walter saying he was going and Gazza going wouldn't have helped.

My dad always said it was down to Diana though...

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 15:57
I was young at the time but consistency when it mattered seemed lacking. From memory we flew out he traps and had a good gap in January but from there never seemed to keep turning the screw. By the time it got to the run in I was never confident we would do what was needed.

Now the reason for that consistency. Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist, Negri with various issues and whilst there were some great players brought in the simple fact was that it wasn't enough.

No.

We failed to win 3 league games in a row until very late in the season.

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 16:00
The simple answer to "What cost us 10IAR?" is this:

WE WERE NEITHER GOOD NOR CONSISTENT ENOUGH.

We lost it because we didn't deserve to win it.

wjm796
28-12-2010, 16:02
Injury to Amo

Lack of defence. And the abject shit that money was wasted on, when a middle of the road squad would have done what was needed.

Selling Gazza had nothing to do with it IMO.

53easy
28-12-2010, 16:03
Injury to Amo

Lack of defence. And the abject shit that money was wasted on, when a middle of the road squad would have done what was needed.

Selling Gazza had nothing to do with it IMO.

Goram form and fitness that season was also really poor.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 16:06

Correct.

Missed a third of the league games that season due to fitness problems and kept only six clean sheets in 24 games.

Also sold vital goals at Tannadice, Rugby Park and against Hearts at Ibrox.

A shadow of the keeper he was between 94-96

53easy
28-12-2010, 16:07
Correct.

Missed a third of the league games that season due to fitness problems and kept only six clean sheets in 24 games.

He also sold one against Hearts in the cup final that season

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 16:08
Goram and Gascoigne should have been chased from the club that season.

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 16:08

Gazza was a liability and had been since the last quarter of 9IAR.

Funnily enough, Super Ally was superb inthe second half of the season and it was scandaous that he didnt go to WC98 as our main striker.

Correct.

More or less what I was abuot to say :D

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 16:17
Let me run you through examples of "not good enough" and "not consistent" enough....

Incidentally, i put it down to the squad being too old, too unfit, and a huge booze culture creating indiscipline left, right and centre.

13th September 1997
Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen

This was an Aberdeen side in true decline - played 4, won 0. Yet we went ahead (at Ibrox) 3 times and they pegged us back 3 times.

27th September 1997
Rangers2-2 Motherwell

We allowed a team of Celtic rejects bully us that day, and came from behind to get a point. Half an hour remained at 2-2, but the team couldn't pull it over the line.

25th October 1997
Dundee Utd 2-1 Rangers

After 2 good wins, we slip up again (the old "can't win three on the trot" disease). Incidentally, we keep Albertz on the bench and played Stensaas instead.

15th, 19th, 22nd November 1997
Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers
Celtic 1-1 Rangers
Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

3 games in 8 days that (for me) defined a season.

We showed Aberdeen far too much respect (as usual) and played no natural centre forwards, until McCoist and Durie came on late to try and win the match.

The Celtic game, stubbs scores in the last minute. We should have been red carded earlier, but yet again we're caught sleeping at a set piece and lose an important goal - it happened time and time again that season. We had zero mental toughness.

At Motherwell, we're cruising at 1-0 and miss a few chances. Guess what? Yup, they score in the closing stages and Rangers lose out late on again. Did I mention mental toughness? Maybe they had been bevvying too much..... just a thought.

I could go on.

But the facts remains:

1. We failed to win three matches on the bounce until April 1998
2. We continually lost late goals and couldn't keep teams out
3. We made bizarre team selections (e.g. 4-6-0 at Pittodrie)
4. We failed to win 16 of our 36 games (i.e. we only won 55% of our league games).

16 fecking games we didn't win!!!

That;s why we lost the league - simply not good, not strong, nor consistent enough.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 16:19
Let me run you through examples of "not good enough" and "not consistent" enough....

Incidentally, i put it down to the squad being too old, too unfit, and a huge booze culture creating indiscipline left, right and centre.

13th September 1997
Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen

This was an Aberdeen side in true decline - played 4, won 0. Yet we went ahead (at Ibrox) 3 times and they pegged us back 3 times.

27th September 1997
Rangers2-2 Motherwell

We allowed a team of Celtic rejects bully us that day, and came from behind to get a point. Half an hour remained at 2-2, but the team couldn't pull it over the line.

25th October 1997
Dundee Utd 2-1 Rangers

After 2 good wins, we slip up again (the old "can't win three on the trot" disease). Incidentally, we keep Albertz on the bench and played Stensaas instead.

Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers
Celtic 1-1 Rangers
Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

We showed Aberdeen far too much respect (as usual) and played no natural centre forwards, until McCoist and Durie came on late to try and win the match.

The Celtic game, stubbs scores in the last minute. We should have been red carded earlier, but yet again we're caught sleeping at a set piece and lose an important goal - it happened time and time again that season. We had zero mental toughness.

At Motherwell, we're cruising at 1-0 and miss a few chances. Guess what? Yup, they score in the closing stages and Rangers lose out late on again. Did I mention mental toughness? Maybe they had been bevvying too much..... just a thought.

I could go on.

But the facts remains:

4. We failed to win 16 of our 36 games (i.e. we only won 55% of our league games).

16 fecking games we didn't win!!!

That;s why we lost the league - simply not good, not strong, nor consistent enough.

Negri played at Pittodrie that day from the start.

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 16:23
Negri played at Pittodrie that day from the start.

So he did. Strike that claim.

Keep the rest - we lost it because we were downright sh*t that season.

Gio Van Bronckhorst
28-12-2010, 16:45
Goram shouldnt have been in goals he was pretty woeful that season.

paisleyprod
28-12-2010, 16:56
He also sold one against Hearts in the cup final that season

Willie Young also robbed us but our fans were magnificent that day

angrybluebear
28-12-2010, 16:59

When the game was due to be played we were playing far better than them, they were due to have players missing.

When the game was finally played the main reason is Jonathon Rowbotham, he failed to take any action against Alan Stubbs who having previously been booked, took out Negri out on the half way line, it probably could have merited a red card but he was allowed to stay on the pitch and scored a last minute equaliser.

We never got a decision the whole night from Rowbotham, the biggest conspiracy in Scottish football ever, to stop us getting 10 in a row.

Once again a referee was intimidated at the piggery. Absolutely shocking, but at the time we made no issue of it because we had the better team and were still on course to win the league.

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 17:02
Goram shouldnt have been in goals he was pretty woeful that season.

I think our only back-up was a very young and raw Antti Niemi IIRC?
Or did that $hitebag Snelders play?

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 17:17
We never got a decision the whole night from Rowbotham, the biggest conspiracy in Scottish football ever, to stop us getting 10 in a row.

Sorry to say to dude, but you're talking out of your hole.

We did not win 16 games out of 36 and continually lost late goals.

We were not good enough. There was no conspiracy.

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 17:19
When the game was due to be played we were playing far better than them, they were due to have players missing.

When the game was finally played the main reason is Jonathon Rowbotham, he failed to take any action against Alan Stubbs who having previously been booked, took out Negri out on the half way line, it probably could have merited a red card but he was allowed to stay on the pitch and scored a last minute equaliser.

Once again a referee was intimidated at the piggery. Absolutely shocking, but at the time we made no issue of it because we had the better team and were still on course to win the league.

If we had picked up points in some of theose other games we threw away it wouldnt have mattered.
We dropped points at an alarming rate.

keldo82
28-12-2010, 17:23
Did we draw at home to Hearts that year too, 2 - 2?

Bjorklund and Goram sold a howler?

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 17:26
I think our only back-up was a very young and raw Antti Niemi IIRC?
Or did that $hitebag Snelders play?

Niemi was 25 when he signed for us.

And he was as useful as a chocolate teapot.

He broke the same fingers twice in two months IIRC.

omegaman
28-12-2010, 17:28
There were several reasons:

1) Smith announcing he was off at the end of the season.
2) Laudrup announcing he too was off and then seemingly losing interest
3) Negri going in a huff halfway through the season when he was on fire
4) Gascoigne's loss of form prior to his sale
5) Persisting with the 'old guard' like Stuart McCall and Richard Gough
6) Smith's belief that the pressure of TIAR was not the correct time to introduce Barry Ferguson
7) Injuries to players like Jonas Thern whose experience could have been vital

Blackwood_Teddybear

Ive got to say SDF i though he was much younger! Surprised at that.

As good as he was at Hearts and down South, he was horrendous for us like you say.

53easy

Niemi was shite in goal for Rangers

He's the type of keeper that looks good in a side that just been ****ed 5-0

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 17:30
There were several reasons:

1) Smith announcing he was off at the end of the season.
2) Laudrup announcing he too was off and then seemingly losing interest
3) Negri going in a huff halfway through the season when he was on fire
4) Gascoigne's loss of form prior to his sale
5) Persisting with the 'old guard' like Stuart McCall and Richard Gough6) Smith's belief that the pressure of TIAR was not the correct time to introduce Barry Ferguson
7) Injuries to players like Jonas Thern whose experience could have been vital

Those and you could add that outside of Negri (for a half season) and Thern (while he wasnt injured), the signings we made in the summer were by in large poor.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 17:33
Those and you could add that outside of Negri (for a half season) and Thern (while he wasnt injured), the signings we made in the summer were by in large poor.

Throw in the fact we allowed Gough to leave on a free only to buy him back for 300,000 a few months later on a two year deal.

The whole set up was a shambles.

NEEG-FOREVER A BEAR
28-12-2010, 17:38
I think the players knew Walter was leaving before he announced it publicly and without a doubt for whatever reason affected their season.

RFC_Sooty
28-12-2010, 17:41
Did we draw at home to Hearts that year too, 2 - 2?

Bjorklund and Goram sold a howler?

We were gash that day.

I remember a young Barry Ferguson played a couple of games around January time and looked good then vanished from the scene.

The team was just too old and the influx of foreigners didn't blend with what we had.

Blackwood_Teddybear
28-12-2010, 17:41
Throw in the fact we allowed Gough to leave on a free only to buy him back for 300,000 a few months later on a two year deal.

The whole set up was a shambles.

Was it Knox who said Stensaas was world class or words to that effect?

haufcut
28-12-2010, 17:44
Managerial decisions, some very strange ones.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 17:45
Was it Knox who said Stensaas was world class or words to that effect?

"The best left back in Europe" we were told on the day of his signing.

So good, that he was hawked around the Premiership and Championship clubs for 500,000 six months before we signed him for an incredible 1.75m.

There were no takers.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 17:54
Niemi was shite in goal for Rangers

He's the type of keeper that looks good in a side that just been ****ed 5-0

Yep, he can make good saves and keep a 7-0 thumping down to a 3-0 defeat, but what Rangers need is a goalkeeper who can sit and do next to **** all for 60 minutes then pull a save out of the bag when it's needed.

Niemi wasn't that sort of keeper.

keldo82
28-12-2010, 18:04
We were gash that day.

I remember a young Barry Ferguson played a couple of games around January time and looked good then vanished from the scene.

The team was just too old and the influx of foreigners didn't blend with what we had.

I just remember the 2 of them having a right go at each other that day.

angrybluebear
28-12-2010, 18:14

13th September 1997
Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen

27th September 1997
Rangers2-2 Motherwell

25th October 1997
Dundee Utd 2-1 Rangers

Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers
Celtic 1-1 Rangers
Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

I could go on.

But the facts remains:

16 fecking games we didn't win!!!That;s why we lost the league - simply not good, not strong, nor consistent enough.

If you are going to be a smart@rse and contradict other posters get the basic facts right, dude,

we drew 9 and lost 6 that season, you do the maths,

strike that off too

I was at the piggery that night, as I said we we never got a decision all night from Mr Rowbotham, had he done his job properly Stubbs would have been off the park, we were in no danger really that night other than from a last gasp ball into the box when we were outnumbered.

the records will show we drew 1 -1 but no one should be in any doubt the part played by Jonathon Rowbotham not only that night but that season. However his windows remained intact, he kept his job

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 18:25
If you are going to be a smart@rse and contradict other posters get the basic facts right, dude,

we drew 9 and lost 6 that season, you do the maths,

strike that off too

I was at the piggery that night, as I said we we never got a decision all night from Mr Rowbotham, had he done his job properly Stubbs would have been off the park, we were in no danger really that night other than from a last gasp ball into the box when we were outnumbered.

the records will show we drew 1 -1 but no one should be in any doubt the part played by Jonathon Rowbotham not only that night but that season. However his windows remained intact, he kept his job

Christ, I do apologise.

We didn't win 15 games out of 36 (58% games won). Do you think that was championship winning form?

I'll let the "smarta**e" comment slide this time.

So Rowbottom was to blame (according to you) for that game, what about the other 14?

The Realm Defender
28-12-2010, 18:46
As stated.

Laudrup did f@#k all, as the world cup was looming and he had never played in 1, selling gazza totalf@#k up, Negri getting stiffened by porrini for allegedly shagging his mrs, and walter telling all that he was leaving, so alll in all a season of continuous **** ups.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 19:00
Christ, I do apologise.

We didn't win 15 games out of 36 (58% games won). Do you think that was championship winning form?

So Rowbottom was to blame (according to you) for that game, what about the other 14?

We were 4 clear going into the New Year game and produced a gutless performance to allow that mob to claw their way back in. From a chance of going seven clear, we allowed them back to one.

Rowbottom had nothing to do with it.

Take the OF games out of the equation(we won 7 points, the Tims won 4) and the Tims picked up 70 points from the other 32 games where as we picked up just 65.

All this after getting a six point start on the cu.nts after they lost their first two games.

We only had ourselves to blame. Not Rowbottom.

sept1st
28-12-2010, 19:07
A thought they were gonnae get relegated after they lost their first 2 games of the season how they came back to snatch the title was criminal on our part

mc1gers
28-12-2010, 19:13
i hate to put it on one man, but I truly believe if Gazza had have stayed for one more season, we would have made 10 in a row. Gazza's here for 10 in a row :(

barrybaldera
28-12-2010, 19:18
Walter Smith lost it, we will never have another chance like it, history now, we didn't win it so it is all academic.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 19:19
i hate to put it on one man, but I truly believe if Gazza had have stayed for one more season, we would have made 10 in a row. Gazza's here for 10 in a row :(

This nonsense has to stop.

Gascoigne was here for seven months of that season and did the square root of fu.ck all during that time.

In his final seven months he was more interested in boozing with his celeb pals than he was in staying fit and winning us football matches. This didn't stop his agents hawking him around Sunderland and Palace for moves in an attempt to get a wage rise at Ibrox when he barely deserved it.

The Gothenburg home game summed his final season up. After shamefully giving up as soon as Gothenburg scored their 1st in Sweden, he owed us a major performance in the return leg. Instead he spent 90 minutes winding up the opposition by chasing after them and screaming abuse at them instead of playing football.

two2tango
28-12-2010, 19:22
I thought at the time the tims got an extra wind after Sir Walter announced he was leaving. I also remember a few poor performances costing us as well.

i can see parellels with thisw season tbh, walter leaving at the end of season and annoucing it was a mistake imo

angrybluebear
28-12-2010, 19:24
Christ, I do apologise.

yeah best let it slide, because if you can't get the basics right then christ no point posting at all,

1 game makes a big difference, particulary that season, we lost the league that season by 2 points, had Mr Rowbotham done his job properly it would have been a 1 nil victory for us. Final league table would have had us with 74 points and sellik only 73, which by my reckoning would have made us champions and therefor achieved 10 in a row.

as I said the records may show it as a 1 - 1 draw but no official has ever influenced the outcome of any match in Scotland more than that night at the piggery,

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 19:26

Gascoigne didn't kick a ball for Rangers after his injury in the Amsterdam tournament in January 1997.

I really wish people would stop with this shite. Gascoigne being sold had nothing to do with us not winning the league that year. He'd long since stopped being useful, and turned into a liability in his last 15 months at the club.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 19:30
yeah best let it slide, because if you can't get the basics right then christ no point posting at all,

1 game makes a big difference, particulary that season, we lost the league that season by 2 points, had Mr Rowbotham done his job properly it would have been a 1 nil victory for us. Final league table would have had us with 74 points and sellik only 73, which by my reckoning would have made us champions and therefor achieved 10 in a row.

as I said the records may show it as a 1 - 1 draw but no official has ever influenced the outcome of any match in Scotland more than that night at the piggery,

Too simplistic to say that IMO.

We threw away 2-0 and 3-2 leads at home to Aberdeen earlier on in the season

We threw away two points when Dunfermline scored an equaliser at Ibrox in February.

We threw away two points with a spineless goaless draw at East End Park in December.

We threw away three points when we lost at Motherwell after being 1-0 up.

GGTHEBEAR
28-12-2010, 19:31
Gascoigne didn't kick a ball for Rangers after his injury in the Amsterdam tournament in January 1997.

I really wish people would stop with this shite. Gascoigne being sold had nothing to do with us not winning the league that year. He'd long since stopped being useful, and turned into a liability in his last 15 months at the club.

Agree and still think getting 3.5mil for him from Middlesborough was one of our best pieces of selling. It was daylight robbery.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 19:37
Agree and still think getting 3.5mil for him from Middlesborough was one of our best pieces of selling. It was daylight robbery.

Especially when you consider he did fu.ck all for them and was just weeks away from a drunken meltdown in La Manga whilst with the England squad where smashed up his manager's hotel room in a violent rage.

Had Murray waited until then in the hope of selling him, we'd have been fu.cked. No one would've touched him with a bargepole.

vanderhogg
28-12-2010, 20:10

I can't get the basics right? Maybe not. But I'm still suggesting that not wining 15 out of 36 will not win the title. Unless you disagree? I'd suggest that's basic.

But no. Its all the refs fault. Not the players for the other 14 non wins, some of them the most spineless and gutless displays you'll see, due to lack of fitness, mental strength and performance. But no, it can't be the players fault. We'll blame the referee.

Mental. And nonsense into the bargain.

londonloyal
28-12-2010, 20:12
Having been brought up on their 9, i was mighty glad to see us do it too. Looking back though, I don't think we will ever (not in my lifetime anyway) have another opportunity to hit 10. I felt I could have died a happy Bear if we had done it. Also we would have likely done a few more as they would have taken years to recover.

Having said all that we are not far off being about a third of the way there now.

Never say never I say.

GingerFurball
28-12-2010, 20:15
In 1995/96, Burns' Celtic side finished on 83 points, 4 points behind Rangers.
In 1996/97, Burns' Celtic finished on 75 points, 5 behind Rangers.
In 1997/98, Jansen's Celtic finished on 74 points, 2 in front of Rangers.

Bonkle Bear
28-12-2010, 20:31

Jansen's side were weaker than both of the sides Burns tried to challenge us with during 8IAR and 9IAR.

We were awful for the most part of 97/98 in comparison to previous seasons. Had Laudrup been fully fit for longer that season we would have won it.

When he has had control of the team for a full season Walter has never failed to at least take the title to the last day (when he didn't win it) Despite the two painful title losses that is still an impressive statistic.

Leo_Ger
28-12-2010, 20:40
To put it simply, we were just not all that good that season. Try to remember one player being consistently great over the course of the season. It isn't possible because no one was. Albertz was good for a part of the second half of the season, Negri was oustanding for the first half but anonymous for the second and Laudrup showed flashes of genius but was consistently average by his standards.

omegaman
28-12-2010, 20:50

There was squad picture ahead of the new season that year, which I'd post if I could find it, just as we were about to unveil our first Nike strip?

It featured the players with their tops off smirking bashfully at the camera.

It was not a pretty sight. A sea of flabby, shapeless bodies, fat hanging out everywhere. It was embarrassing.

The fittest looking person in the squad was Richard Gough who was about 36 and teetotal.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
28-12-2010, 21:22
There was squad picture ahead of the new season that year, which I'd post if I could find it, just as we were about to unveil our first Nike strip?

It was not a pretty sight. A sea of flabby, shapeless bodies, fat hanging out everywhere. It was embarrassing.

The fittest looking person in the squad was Richard Gough who was about 36 and teetotal.

Charlie Miller was the worst culprit.

A 21 year old who should've been at his fittest and he had a pair of tits that Jordan would've been proud of.

ROCK
28-12-2010, 21:34
Glad to see most folk on this thread recognise that the failure to win the big 10 was entirely down to our own woeful efforts (unable to win three games on the spin for the vast majority of the campaign) and not bungling officials.

Indeed if the yahoos had been led by an O'Neill type figure instead of a Noddy Holder lookalike then the points difference between us and them could have been embarrassing.

As for the theory that Princess Diana's tragic demise cost us a league win at Torbett Towers that season, I simply don't buy it.

Yes ra Sellik made a wretched start to the camapign but we hardly covered ourselves in glory. The defensive horror show in Gothenburg that ended our CL hopes was probably the catalyst for bringing back Goughie 'to try and save the day.'

ekbear
28-12-2010, 21:36
From memory we were awful from more or less the start of the season until February/March time. I remember Dundee taking us to a replay in the Scottish Cup after drawing 0-0 at Ibrox. For the replay Walter started McCoist and Durrant, can't remember who was dropped, and we won 2-1 and the team seemed to click, until throwing it away in the last 4 games after going top with that win over the tarriers.

Dropping stupid points at home to Motherwell, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and Abergreen didn't help either.

angrybluebear
28-12-2010, 21:40
I can't get the basics right? Maybe not. But I'm still suggesting that not wining 15 out of 36 will not win the title. Unless you disagree? I'd suggest that's basic.

But no. Its all the refs fault. Not the players for the other 14 non wins, some of them the most spineless and gutless displays you'll see, due to lack of fitness, mental strength and performance. But no, it can't be the players fault. We'll blame the referee.

Mental. And nonsense into the bargain.

No I don't disagree, i have no idea but I can't imagine many seasons where a league was won winning as less games as they did.

My point is that I geniunely believe that the pivotal point in the season was the game that Mr Rowbotham influenced to ensure sellik did not lose.

had we won that night we would have been so far in front their heads would have went down, that draw was like a victory to them and gave them hope.

the thing is we were so superior nothing was made of the decisions that night because everyone fully expected us to win the league easily even after that, and yes the players and the manager should be criticised but no one should ever forget the impact Mr Rowbotham had on the title not just that night but at other intervals thoughout that season,

especially at this time, a season that shamed scottish football for having to bring in foreign referees because one club questioned the integrity of referees !

jaykay
28-12-2010, 22:25
For me I remember WS allowing the players to come out before the Killie game at Ibrox to say thanks to the fans (Im sure some of the players had their kids with them)

This is imo where we lost the league, a game that we had to win, still dont understand why this was allowed to happen.

boldy
28-12-2010, 22:32

Totally agree we would have been going for 11 in a row if Terry hadnt broken his leg:mad:

super_ally_the2nd
28-12-2010, 22:33

Vaguely remember the photo, but Richard Gough wouldn't have been there for what would be a pre-season pic having left for the states the day after clinching 9IAR at Tannadice

RFC_Sooty
28-12-2010, 23:17
From memory we were awful from more or less the start of the season until February/March time. I remember Dundee taking us to a replay in the Scottish Cup after drawing 0-0 at Ibrox. For the replay Walter started McCoist and Durrant, can't remember who was dropped, and we won 2-1 and the team seemed to click, until throwing it away in the last 4 games after going top with that win over the tarriers.

Dropping stupid points at home to Motherwell, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and Abergreen didn't help either.

Coisty kept us alive in the title fight for a point. I remember a game at East End park where we won 3-2, we were gash but Coisty popped up with a couple of goals to win the game.

CPA Bluenose
28-12-2010, 23:23
Selling Gazza so close to the end of the season.

Laudrup wasnt doing much by then, but gazza might just have given us a we edge in a game or two that could have made the difference.

Walter announced he was going fairly early on, and the team knew time was up, but gazza could have got us a vital goal here and there to edge us over the line.

Bud68
28-12-2010, 23:27
selling gazza hurt us badly.

keeping laundrup when he had already committed to chelsea also proved to be a big mistake as he did not committ to our cause in the way he should have done

in addition the sending off of amorouso at aberdeen contributed massively in a key game close to the end of the season.

we threw it away

i still am hurt by it

paulw14rfc
28-12-2010, 23:30
Vaguely remember the photo, but Richard Gough wouldn't have been there for what would be a pre-season pic having left for the states the day after clinching 9IAR at Tannadice

It was done at the end of previous year 96/97 and Hateley was in it also and all players still had that seasons adidas shorts on.

braeside58
28-12-2010, 23:50
Selling Gazza for me was a massive mistake and was a big factor in us losing the league, although there were others like dropping silly points throughout the season.

WokinghamBear
29-12-2010, 00:05

This sums it up - one defeat into a bloody win and this thread would be surplus to requirements.
Their team of 95/96 was streets ahead of the 97/98 plodders as well. Their stopping Rangers from winning 10 in a row was the be all and end all - their tacky t-shirts as they celebrated their win told you everything about it.

SCG
29-12-2010, 00:31
As stated.

Walter's decision to leave together with his reliance on the old guard instead of blooding some
youth

John_C_
29-12-2010, 00:36
The people who say the sale of Paul Gascoigne in late March was the deciding factor are absolutely spot-on.

Had Gazza been sold at the start of the season for the 3,5m received from Middlesborough, and 2m of that invested in Paul Lambert from Borussia Dortmund, the latter would not have signed for Celtic in November and had such an influence on the title race.

Would Lambert, instead of Gascoigne, have held at least two of our six defeats into draws, or let us hold on for a single win instead of one of our draws? I think so. And with either of those, the championship trophy stays at Ibrox.

Dede' Arneaux
29-12-2010, 00:53
Lots of interesting theories and lots of facts, however losing the last home game to Killie was criminal :(

dylanholly
29-12-2010, 01:14
1. Rangers advert with Walter pointing to a blackboard at 9/10 must do better was a bad bad advert. This must have been some incentive for them.

2. Negri's injury and the uncertainty and rumours surounding it gave me bad vibes.

3. Walter's decision to leave halfway through the season was fatal.

4. Walter's testimonial against Liverpool had us playing Echo & The Bunnymen's "Nothing Lasts Forever" at half time and although it was a fitting song at the time I can vividly remember sitting in the Premier Club thinking "I can't believe this here" That song was setting a tone and a soft sentimental side creeped in that affected our ruthlessness later on IMO.

5. The 9 in a row squad was running on empty and also thinking "Where do we go from here?" A definite negative and another distraction.

6. Teams trying harder than ever.

There was just too many negatives that second half of the season that still makes me ask why? Why we couldn't win the big 10 which I honestly felt would and should have been the easiest of the lot considering the wealth of experience we had against a Celtic side who were very average and who had a chaotic pre-season. Arggggh :mad:

Sir Duncan Ferguson
29-12-2010, 10:46
Selling Gazza so close to the end of the season.

Laudrup wasnt doing much by then, but gazza might just have given us a we edge in a game or two that could have made the difference.

Walter announced he was going fairly early on, and the team knew time was up, but gazza could have got us a vital goal here and there to edge us over the line.

Can someone please explain why keeping Gascoigne would've made a difference ?

He had seven months to make a difference that year and didn't nothing for us.

He was a busted flush by that point.

Moodie Blue
29-12-2010, 11:06
Negri's injury if the goals had kept coming title would've been in the bag

Kingsparkger
29-12-2010, 11:13
There were many factors that cost us the league that season, mostly self inflicted unfortunately.

However, when I think of that season I remember Ally McCoists contribution towards the end of that year. He was heavy, unfit and in many ways a shadow of his past self but his efforts were Herculean. I honestly believed he was going to carry us to the title and Scottish Cup. He so wanted to leave Rangers a winner and it just wasnt to be.

McCoist was a true hero for Rangers that season and although it certainly wasnt his finest hour its still something that should be remembered.
The fact he was overlooked for Scotland squad for the 98 World Cup after that season was truly shameful.

crockle creek dingos
29-12-2010, 11:16
Going by the amount of responses on the thread it's clear that losing the 10 still bothers many. It certainly still bothers me.
I've already had my rant earlier in the thread but didn't mention the selling of Gascoigne.
I remember at the time being very disappointed with him being sold & wanted him kept but as has been said he was very poor for most of that season.
For me bottom line is Gascoigne or not we should have been able to take care of pish like Kilmarnock at home at the last home game of the season considering what was at stake but we couldn't.
We had a better team than the beggars in my opinion but our attitude & effort in a lot of the games was not good enough.
Teams like Motherwell, Dunfermline & Kilmarnock were raising their game like never before against us & we weren't raising our game against them.
It cost us dearly as we dropped vital points against all of them & others.

marstonbear
29-12-2010, 11:19
We lost it for a variety of reasons:

1. Our two most pivotal players, Gascoigne and Laudrup, were shadows of their best that season.

2. Unprofessionalism. We basically had more money than sense. We bought players but had the medical set up of a park side.

Rozenthal had joined for 4m the season previously but continued to play on in a match when injured - he never contributed after that.

Amoruso joined with an injury which we failed to diagnose & treat effectively meaning he never played until April.

We were desperate to sign someone from Juventus so paid somewhere over 3m for Porrini who was good going forward but was never a great defender.

Robertson left so we needed a new left back. We paid 1.5m for Stensaas a joke of a player who never looked worth the money

Thern. Great goal against Celtic but always struggled with injuries.

Negri. For whatever reason a guy who had scored over 30 goals but Xmas morphed until Ostenstaad following a game of squash with Porrini.

That said, it was in our hands when we beat them 2-0 but somehow we managed to throw it away.

The_Gub
29-12-2010, 11:19
There were many factors that cost us the league that season, mostly self inflicted unfortunately.

However, when I think of that season I remember Ally McCoists contribution towards the end of that year. He was heavy, unfit and in many ways a shadow of his past self but his efforts were Herculean. I honestly believed he was going to carry us to the title and Scottish Cup. He so wanted to leave Rangers a winner and it just wasnt to be.

McCoist was a true hero for Rangers that season and although it certainly wasnt his finest hour its still something that should be remembered.
The fact he was overlooked for Scotland squad for the 98 World Cup after that season was truly shameful.

I would like you to look at your second sentence again, and tell me how or why McCoist being so unfit was allowed to happen?

And people on this thread have the utter gall to slag off Laudrup?

superrangers
29-12-2010, 11:39
A number of factors came into play for me and all combined to prevent us from claiming what should have been a formality against a poor bheggars team.

Smith announcing he was leaving so early in the season I think had a bit of am impact on the attitude of a good number of our players. This should not have been allowed to happen. Smith and the coaching staff should have done more to ensure some of the older players in the squad knuckled down and kept themselves fit enough to have had one last hurrah.

Smith's leaving also I feel gave the bheggars a bit of a lift.

Injuries to key players at the time also cost us. Amoruso was signed with an injury, keeping him out for far too long, while Rozenthal was unable to contribute. The fitness of many of the older players was falling behind the levels required too, having given so much (and possible celebrated a little too much too) over the years.

The Scumtc game at the time of Diana's death, whilst not a guaranteed win, is also undoubtedly a factor, for no other reason than had we won, they would not have come back. I had a bad feeling at the time, just one of these gut feelings, that it might come back to haunt us.

All in all, a lack of professionalism and the inability to win games we normally would have, cost us dear. 10 IAR, whilst it's something I feel we can achieve one day, is still a huge pain for me as we had it in our own hands and the outcome should have been very different.

Gazza.... I do think if we had kept him, could have been the difference. By no means was he in the form of his life, but he was on his day a matchwinner and could still take a decent set-piece. The margins that season were so fine that one defeat turned into a win would have been enough.

WokinghamBear
31-12-2010, 11:50
I like this thread - good reasoning and debate about a question posed.

Hoping for more like this in the New Year.

Gio Van Bronckhorst
07-02-2012, 20:44
This was the regular starting XI for the Tims that won the league

Gould (any worse than Douglas, Hedman, Marshall that would come?)

Boyd (decent enough)
Rieper (likewise Stubbs probably their best defenders in a decade)
Stubbs
Mahe (not great but how many class left backs have they had?)

McNamara (versatile player who would be their POTY in latter years captain)
Lambert (European cup winner)
Burley (Decent enough)
Wieghorst (dont remember much of him)

Donnelly (pish)
Larsson (Arguably their greatest ever player)

Throw in the fact they sold two of their best players by the start of the season(Cadete, Di Canio) and another one midway through it (Thom) and it's an absolute disgrace we allowed a shower of shit like that to win a title.

Their 1998 team was better than the earlier sides that decade the 3 amigos side of the previous seasons.

Off topic but that great front 3 Burns had stuttered to a shit lot of 0-0 and 1-1. Surely a great front 3 would have won those sort of games :roll:

AA
07-02-2012, 20:54
I would like you to look at your second sentence again, and tell me how or why McCoist being so unfit was allowed to happen?

And people on this thread have the utter gall to slag off Laudrup?I think you need to look at Gordon Durie's contribution here. He scored 4 goals all season, 3 in one game, so in effect he scored in 2 games. He got concussion against Killie at Rugby park, was out for 6 games and was replaced by Ally in those 6 games. McCoist proceeded to rattle in more goals in those 6 games than Durie did all season. Guess what? Durie, gets back in and doesn't score again for the rest of the season. I blame Smith and Durie.

CPA Bluenose
07-02-2012, 20:56
Selling Gazza, plain and simple.

The vital spark so badly missed by a tired and flagging ageing squad.

Russell_Nash
07-02-2012, 20:57
marco negri getting hit with a squash ball for shagging other peoples wives (allegedly)

snoopyboymason
07-02-2012, 21:00
Dunfermlines last minute equaliser and Killies last minute winner at Ibrox proved costly i also thought once Laudrup signed that pre contract he was not the same player

NorthLondonLoyal
07-02-2012, 21:00
I always say the best team wins the league by definition
They had a better team than us over the course.

daven37
07-02-2012, 21:01
The defeat at Aberdeen was a nightmare and for me this was the most costly thing apart from losing Negri.

babaji
07-02-2012, 21:05
As stated.

Complacency for me. Can`t see how it would affect the squad

stepdown
07-02-2012, 21:07
19/11/97 - Celtic 1 Rangers 1, we would have gone 6 points clear of them that night with a win.

The following Saturday they beat Dundee United 4-0, we drew 1-1 with Motherwell.

Elvis Cole
07-02-2012, 21:10
We lost a whole load of goals near the end of the season from the left back position.

We should have got a quality left back in, even on loan.

10IAR was sitting there for us, tantalisingly close, but I guess it didn't mean as much to David Murray as it did to the rest of us.

You having a phuckin laugh.

He talked laudrup into another year. That was what the fans wanted.

He gave walter phuckin plenty at the start of the season. Walter bought a centre half who arrived injured and was not fully fit until the next season. He also bought a left back who makes lee wallace look like roberto carlos.

Gazza had to be sold. He was bonkers by this point and out of control.

What cost the big 10. Walter. No other reason.

the cruyff turn
07-02-2012, 21:11
princess di :ninja:

instructor
07-02-2012, 21:12
If you want to look at a pivotal game, I think the Stubbs equalizer at Parkhead was significant, later on in the season, of course, we played ineptly at home to Kilmarnock and lost. The squad that year were just not up to it, I have to confess.

paisleyprod
07-02-2012, 21:13
too many grew old and unfit at same time and injured Amo was massive blow.

bevvy culture, lack of desire?? we really should have had at least 12 in a row

vacuum1690
07-02-2012, 21:17
Selling Gazza

Sir Duncan Ferguson
07-02-2012, 21:23
Selling Gazza

...did not cost us 10 in a row.

When we sold him he then went on to play 8 games for Boro. They won 4, lost three and drew one of them.

After we sold him, we played nine games. We won 6 and lost 3.

business_bear
07-02-2012, 21:24
Walter announced he was leaving at the end of last season and it didn't seem to affect the squad that much. I was too young to remember what exactly cost us, maybe the rhattlers had that little bit more determination to stop the 10 than we did to win it?

mooose
07-02-2012, 21:26
Dunfermlines last minute equaliser and Killies last minute winner at Ibrox proved costly i also thought once Laudrup signed that pre contract he was not the same player

Exactly my thoughts. If my memory serves me right we drew with Dunfermline and played with one up front ?

thommo2006
07-02-2012, 21:28
The coont driving Diana and plowing into a foundation holding up a tunnel.

That day we were flying and they had injuries I have no doubt if the game against the tims was played we would have beat them comfortably opening up a gap and putting pressure on them, they had started poorly had injuries and Larsson looked like gash. The game was postponed and by the time we played them we had slowed down a bit and they had picked up some momentum and we were missing some players. That game being postponed was a big moment in hindsight

Wearapeepil
07-02-2012, 21:28
Walter announcing he was leaving at the end of that season. I was annoyed at his timing at the time and my fears came true when the players stopped playing for him.

But hey, nine was fine and I never thought i would see it in my lifetime.

SoneAluko
07-02-2012, 21:29
10IAR is still one that sits uncomfortably with me. It's like an old relationship that ended bitterly and you still harbour grudges.

For me there are a number of reasons,and a lot of posters will come with the same stuff(SDF in particular about Gazza)

I'll go with

The season started very well and I believe at one point,probably around the time we drew 1-1 at Parkhead that we were 7 clear and coasting. That night was the turning point.
Gazza was sent off,as mentioned for something he'd done 2 years previously by Rowbotham who was desperate to get him back. Gazza subsequently went off the rails and offered little from there on. My old man also maintains,and I do remember the incident,that Thern cost us that game that night. With a minute to go,he had the ball and was clear on their left hand side. he could have run the ball into the corner and wasted time,but he trundled a piss poor shot at Gould when there was no chance of him scoring or even getting close to. Gould then punted the ball down the park and it led to the free kick and then the goal.

The contributions of Gascoigne and Laudrup,who had won us the previous two titles and contributed around 80 goals in those two seasons,were so poor and almost unrecognizable to what they were before.
Some back Laudrup,and think he did ok,others think Gazza could have won us it if he'd stayed. Personally,I think we should have let Laudrup go and got the money for him,however,I probably think this more after losing 10. At the time,the thought of him leaving was unbearable to most of us,and many would have thought Murray did right in the quest for 10.
I also think if we still had Gazza available,he could maybe have given us something in those games at Pittodrie or at home to Killie that could have swung it. That said,it probably wasn't bad business sense getting the dough in for him. If I remember correctly Advocaat was asked about this and said yes to selling him?
There are posters on this thread who have said we had 11 point leads etc,which I think is nonsense. If I recall correctly,we had a 7 point lead,and then they had a 7 point lead.
Goram was probably as culpable as Gazza and Laudrup in terms of contribution too. I think he was constantly on the sauce,and had many off field problems which saw him disciplined and dropped too. I may be wrong,but pretty sure it was that season.
There's also the rumours,or possible truth of the Italian infighting,Negri supposedly pumping Porrini's wife,and then not really kicking a ball after Christmas. Amoruso being injured until March or whenever it was.

I recall that time with a heavy heart. There was every chance to do it,clawing it back after having thrown it away. So many if onlys and what ifs.
I also agree with some of what MFDF says,but at this time I don't think you could blame Murray. Smith spent about 20 million that summer and was allowed to freshen things up along with retaining most of the squad. The "Monkey on the back" stuff leaves a sour taste in the mouth,as he should have wanted it as much,if not more than us,but then really,he just isn't one of us. I wouldn't blame him for that,and possibly the Gascoigne thing,although there are arguments for and against keeping Gazza at the time. Personally I would rather he was kept,as I said,in the Aberdeen or Killie game,he just might have provided the spark. Sadly it's all gone.

A feeling will always stick with me that season was that I don't think I have ever felt such strong emotions after we beat Celtic to go above them and think we were gonna win 10. The only feeling I've had like it was getting to Manchester. My heart still throbs and I well up thinking about both of these occasions,and so so sadly both ended with my greatest disappointments as a Rangers fan.

That's our club though,they put us through the mill,and we'll always go back for more. I will always love the Rangers.

stepdown
07-02-2012, 21:29
Walter announced he was leaving at the end of last season and it didn't seem to affect the squad that much. I was too young to remember what exactly cost us, maybe the rhattlers had that little bit more determination to stop the 10 than we did to win it?

They lost their first two league games against Hibs and Dunfermline, we lost one league game against them and beat them in the Scottish cup.

Fog_Dog
07-02-2012, 21:34

Yep if he played whole season, god knows how many he would of stuck away!!

Elvis Cole
07-02-2012, 21:41
Talk to the cows come home about it and it all comes back to Walter. He was in charge. He let the complacency and laziness set in. He spent badly. He allowed gough to go to america then had to send an sos as his replacement was carrying an injury when signed. He signed stale phuckin stensas. He announced he was phuckin off at the end of the season.

Murray is guilty of plenty but not that year. All he done wrong was not boot walter oot the door like he did with souness.

INVERURIEBEAR
07-02-2012, 21:56
Getting shot of gascoine and negris injury didn't help but would say that maybe the players themselves thought they had it in the bag and therefore cost us in the end

Axel Foley
07-02-2012, 21:58
Stubbs equalising 2 mins into Injury Time at the Piggery re-arranged game and losing to the sheep away 3 or 4 games left to play with Big Amo getting sent off.

lordcarson90
07-02-2012, 22:00
sergio porrini's sex drive