PDA

View Full Version : Extra supports at porkheed

skeltons-bluebells
18-12-2010, 11:00
Anyone got the picture showing the supports at parkhead when the games not on? Tarrier doesn't believe me that they use them

The Railway Bear
18-12-2010, 11:08
Before

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3702/celtic32.jpg

After

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5923/celticpark3.jpg

exilebear
18-12-2010, 11:15
Can anyone clarify why these supports are not required when a game is on?

johngreigloyal
18-12-2010, 11:55

Im sure its vibrations when the stand is occupied causing movement to the roof

Feel The Burn
18-12-2010, 11:58
that really is a shoite main stand, bwahahaha

InsanicDrunk
18-12-2010, 11:58

It's something to do with the weight of people in stand secures it, not 100% sure of the ins and outs.

warfieldranger
18-12-2010, 12:10
I'm a structural engineer and at my first company I noticed a model of a stand in the office one day, so I asked what it was for. My boss told me that he had been the expert witness in a court case where Celtic had sued the designer of the main stand.

The design company made a few mistakes, and after the stand was opened it was noticed that it swayed a lot in the wind. My boss was then commissioned to perform an independent design check of the stand. He found that under the design wind loading the stand was basically a mechanism if it was unoccupied, i.e. the empty stand would fall over if the wind speed got up to the figure that the stand should have been designed for, but during matches the fans would act as ballast to provide enough stability.

It was decided that props would be required to stabilise the whole thing but Celtic wanted to avoid restricted views from their brand new stand, so my boss reluctantly agreed that temporary props could be removed just before matches and reinstated after the crowd had gone home.

Dumfriesbear
18-12-2010, 12:13
I'm a structural engineer and at my first company I noticed a model of a stand in the office one day, so I asked what it was for. My boss told me that he had been the expert witness in a court case where Celtic had sued the designer of the main stand.

The design company made a few mistakes, and after the stand was opened it was noticed that it swayed a lot in the wind. My boss was then commissioned to perform an independent design check of the stand. He found that under the design wind loading the stand was basically a mechanism if it was unoccupied, i.e. the empty stand would fall over if the wind speed got up to the figure that the stand should have been designed for, but during matches the fans would act as ballast to provide enough stability.

It was decided that props would be required to stabilise the whole thing but Celtic wanted to avoid restricted views from their brand new stand, so my boss reluctantly agreed that temporary props could be removed just before matches and reinstated after the crowd had gone home.

With the crowds they are getting just now they might need to keep them in. :D

watp
no surrender

The Goalie
18-12-2010, 12:24
With the crowds they are getting just now they might need to keep them in. :D

watp
no surrender

Wonder what they did for the friendly with AZ Alkmaar last season when 2,000 fans turned up? :)

Kel
18-12-2010, 12:28
The day Duncan Ferguson made his OF debut, thousands of Bears stayed behind after the game singing and dancing and about 30 mins after the game the props went up

hawkfalcons
18-12-2010, 12:43
that really is a shoite main stand, bwahahaha

im sure glasgow shity council commonwealth board will fix that for them:mad:

Rookiescot
18-12-2010, 13:08
Was this why their last home game was cancelled?
Weight of snow on roof + weight of crowd > cheap stadium can handle?

agent_orange
18-12-2010, 13:09
what a shit hole

CaptainBluebear
18-12-2010, 13:15
the stand was basically a mechanism if it was unoccupied, i.e. the empty stand would fall over if the wind speed got up to the figure that the stand should have been designed for

Roll on the January gales.

:dance:

WeeBudsBud
18-12-2010, 13:28
Wonder what they did for the friendly with AZ Alkmaar last season when 2,000 fans turned up? :)

Don`t you mean their "FREE ENTRY" friendly?

Sam_English
18-12-2010, 13:31
I tell you,that stand's gonnae come down on them one day.

WeeBudsBud
18-12-2010, 13:34

Aye, if only.......

Laudrup70
18-12-2010, 13:59

http://www.grimeforum.com/forum/images/smilies/2009/popcorn.gif

Tony Blundetto
18-12-2010, 14:02

What a thing to say mate come on now thats their level surely:angel:

Dougie Gray
18-12-2010, 14:08
I struggle to see why tarriers dont believe this when one of their "new" (cheap as chips)stands also has supports. Deluded c.unts.

Captain Jock
18-12-2010, 14:10

I've stopped going to the piggery in the last few years because the last time I was there and the bears were doing the bouncy, I genuinely thought the stand was going to come down!
It just wasn't right for a structure to move that much.
I was shittin' myself!
:eek:

littlebluedemon
18-12-2010, 14:11
I remember hearing that sky had put their cameras in a couple of days ahead of a European match at parkhead,upon their return they discovered that rats had chewed through all the wires.

Halfwaythere
18-12-2010, 14:19

They sued Redpath Dorman Long (Cambuslang) which was part of the British Steel Corporation.

Many of my mates worked in Redpaths at the time and I don't believe they put their heart and soul into this particular project.

BlueIbrox
18-12-2010, 14:47
I've stopped going to the piggery in the last few years because the last time I was there and the bears were doing the bouncy, I genuinely thought the stand was going to come down!
I was shittin' myself!

You must be to young to remember the Appolo in Glasgow :D

InsanicDrunk
18-12-2010, 14:51
I remember hearing that sky had put their cameras in a couple of days ahead of a European match at parkhead,upon their return they discovered that rats had chewed through all the wires.

They need to eat before the match.

bluevalebomber
18-12-2010, 14:59

I don't think they can, they've been like that for more years than I care remember, In fact I think the full area is riddled with mine shafts which would make it near impossible to put right :D

bluevalebomber
18-12-2010, 15:05

''When you hear them sing their rebel songs, you just want the stands to come down on top off them''. >:)

Cyberniv
18-12-2010, 15:06

Four legged or two?

New York Bear
18-12-2010, 15:11
I don't think they can, they've been like that for more years than I care remember, In fact I think the full area is riddled with mine shafts which would make it near impossible to put right :D

The Kerryfail bunch were claiming recently that the Ibrox main stand was build over mine shafts or somesuch and that the subsidence was deemed to be "significant". Sounded like a pile of pish to me, but can anyone confirm one way or the other?

dublinbluenose
18-12-2010, 15:11
''When you hear them sing their rebel songs, you just want the stands to come down on top off them''. >:)

who said that on national tv i wonder;)

littlebluedemon
18-12-2010, 15:14
Four legged or two?

Four,I can't find anything on it though.

dublinbluenose
18-12-2010, 15:14
built on the cheap, for the cheap

Kai_millie1872
18-12-2010, 15:34

Remember you saying the very same thing near 16 years ago on FF&F.;):)

Sam_English
18-12-2010, 16:03
What a thing to say mate come on now thats their level surely:angel:
That whole ground is an accident waiting to happen.

Renoranger
18-12-2010, 16:35

Correct, at whatever cost. They will pump tens on millions into improving the piggery.:mad:

brianhrfc
18-12-2010, 16:38

Or maybe too old to remember trash on a saturday ;)

Captain Jock
18-12-2010, 16:45

I remember it well mate!
:cool:

Govan Front Ger
18-12-2010, 16:45

The design company made a few mistakes, and after the stand was opened it was noticed that it swayed a lot in the wind. My boss was then commissioned to perform an independent design check of the stand. He found that under the design wind loading the stand was basically a mechanism if it was unoccupied, i.e. the empty stand would fall over if the wind speed got up to the figure that the stand should have been designed for, but during matches the fans would act as ballast to provide enough stability.It was decided that props would be required to stabilise the whole thing but Celtic wanted to avoid restricted views from their brand new stand, so my boss reluctantly agreed that temporary props could be removed just before matches and reinstated after the crowd had gone home.

Thats Brilliant :)

It could fall down in a strong wind lol :D

is it made of tin ;)

stranraerloyal
18-12-2010, 16:50
I was shittin' myself!

One oh them i work with is a season holder there he told me he sits in the same stand as we get on the upper above the scum brigade. he was saying when we'r doing the bouncy there all shitting there selfs sat there on there seats moving up an down his words not mine

papaclio
18-12-2010, 16:52

Part true

The bit about the fans acting as ballast is an urban myth
The fans are sitting on a ground bearing structure feck all to do with the roof

The columns are there to hold the roof down on windy days
Thats why you sometimes see them down during match days
They had to cut 600mm of them when they added the press box

revsween
18-12-2010, 16:58

Defied physics that old balcony

Captain Jock
18-12-2010, 16:59
One oh them i work with is a season holder there he told me he sits in the same stand as we get on the upper above the scum brigade. he was saying when we'r doing the bouncy there all shitting there selfs sat there on there seats moving up an down his words not mine

Kept thinking of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0Fi1VcbpAI

warfieldranger
18-12-2010, 17:05
I was told they are always to be in place, except during matches. I've never noticed them still up during any match, and surely they wouldn't deny their existence if the props are still in place during some games.

The reason for them is to provide stability during extreme wind, and you normally design for horizontal wind at the same time as vertical wind (uplift or downdrag). Therefore what you've been told (about holding the roof down) is only part of the story.

I don't understand why they would cut 600mm off them when they added the press box, as they wouldn't work afterwards.

warfieldranger
18-12-2010, 17:06
Kept thinking of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0Fi1VcbpAI

The collapse of the Tacoma Narrows was caused by strong winds.

Captain Jock
18-12-2010, 17:09
The collapse of the Tacoma Narrows was caused by strong winds.

Was there not something similar happened to a bridge caused by marching soldiers?

keppochbear
18-12-2010, 17:14

lets hope so

warfieldranger
18-12-2010, 17:20
Was there not something similar happened to a bridge caused by marching soldiers?

Yeah, it was to do with the natural frequency of the structure. Every structure has its own natural frequency and if load is applied to it (the loads don't even have to be too excessive) at the same frequency it can collapse.

At Tacoma Narrows the wind was buffering the bridge deck near its natural frequency, and it collapsed as a result.

When soldiers march across a bridge their steps can be close to the natural frequency and a few smaller bridges, mainly temporary Bailey bridges that had been installed by the Royal Engineers, did collapse in the past due to this. That's why it is traditional for marching solders to be ordered to break-step while crossing bridges, so that they're not all marching at the same frequency.

It was the same problem which affected the Millennium Bridge in London.

It will be nice to get back to talking about football next week rather than what I do 5 days a week at work .

Sam_English
18-12-2010, 17:36

FPMSL - could only happen to that lot

Captain Jock
18-12-2010, 17:42
Yeah, it was to do with the natural frequency of the structure. Every structure has its own natural frequency and if load is applied to it (the loads don't even have to be too excessive) at the same frequency it can collapse.

At Tacoma Narrows the wind was buffering the bridge deck near its natural frequency, and it collapsed as a result.

When soldiers march across a bridge their steps can be close to the natural frequency and a few smaller bridges, mainly temporary Bailey bridges that had been installed by the Royal Engineers, did collapse in the past due to this. That's why it is traditional for marching solders to be ordered to break-step while crossing bridges, so that they're not all marching at the same frequency.

It will be nice to get back to talking about football next week rather than what I do 5 days a week at work .

Thanks for that.
You wouldn't happen to know what the natural frequency of the main stand at Porkheid is by any chance................just out of curiosity you understand!
:angel:

warfieldranger
18-12-2010, 17:54
Thanks for that.
You wouldn't happen to know what the natural frequency of the main stand at Porkheid is by any chance................just out of curiosity you understand!

It's not a natural frequency problem with that structure, it's just a case of the wind speed at the San Giro. Their main stand is a fairly exposed structure though, given the lack of other buildings around it.

revsween
18-12-2010, 17:59

As someone who thought Applied Mechanics lessons were a waste of time but now runs a small construction company your input is both educational and welcome. It's embarrassing when your structural engineer has to use a highlight pen on the calcs to ensure I buy the right size steels and don't get confused by all the numbers on the page:o

Westozbear
19-12-2010, 02:11

Now your talking, Status Quo and co giving it big licks, them were the days, shitting yuorself thinking that you were suddenly going to land 5 stories below on the pavement, happy days (Melancholy Blue :-)

Jelle1880
19-12-2010, 02:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CKku4lvNaU

Now, if only their gangreen brigade would do this :D

bf79
19-12-2010, 05:51

I remember a few years ago the BBC billed them for camera cables that were damaged by rats eating through them, from what i remember the cables were laid around the pitch and left there through the season to make it easy for cameras to be installed on match days

apparently some resident rodents found them a tastier option than the pies on offer....

williamstown
19-12-2010, 06:33
What a feckin Gerry built shithole that is,cheap and nasty.

72 Blue
19-12-2010, 07:16
Defo a drug deal going down in the corner.

In a poor area of town... Check

In the worst bit of that poor area .....Check

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5923/celticpark3.jpg

Black American 4x4........Check

2 dodgy characters in view of Escolade.......Check

NOW front page? Nah they'll run one on why Broxi secretly cuts stone for a living therfore is a mason and a bogot. :D

Lanarkshire
19-02-2011, 22:07

We often have that thought, like a huge venus fly trap with roof closing down on them below and gobling the filth all up.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1850682/2/istockphoto_1850682-venus-fly-trap-2.jpg

BlueBaker72
19-02-2011, 22:14
I remember it well mate!
:cool:How did you do that.:cool:

post 37 18/12/10 15:45:cool:cool

lalsger
19-02-2011, 22:30
Thanks for that.

Brilliant:)