PDA

View Full Version : Marco Negri Found !

le bluebear
02-12-2010, 13:26
Author of the Gallant Pioneers Gary Ralston is off to Italy next week to interview Marco Negri for his new book.

Marco was bang on course to become one of our most profilic scorers ever.

Should be an interesting read to say the least.

campsie
02-12-2010, 13:27
Author of the Gallant Pioneers Gary Ralston is off to Italy next week to interview Marco Negri for his new book.

if only eh.
I wonder if he will speak truthfully about what really happened.
He was a bad egg at a lot of clubs mind you.
but what a goal scorer.

adamski
what's the basis of the Book LBB?

7 clubs in 7 years before we signed Negri, should have warned us he had problems.

Stuart_WATP
Strange man, but he was a goalscoring freak of nature for us, all be it briefly. 10IAR if he stayed the full season.

angiegascoigne
02-12-2010, 13:31
Oh that is very interesting! Think he'll get the truth out of him?

Imagine how good he could have been for us.

le bluebear

7 clubs in 7 years before we signed Negri, should have warned us he had problems.

The guy has a very interesting story, it deserves a platform.

Gary's going to provide that.

jimbo.b
In all the years I've watched the game I don't recall another striker who so seldom missed the target.
OK Negri didn't score every shot, but he very rarely blazed it over or stuck it wide, usually it was a post, bar, save or goal.
We'll never know if he could have kept that going

Derry's Walls
02-12-2010, 13:32

If Gary is looking in, please give Marco my best wishes - shame whatever happened but what a talent !!!! - Marco was a truely exceptional striker.

blair_omnibus
02-12-2010, 13:33
Any excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtAXVJvrEXM

Blue Lew
Last time I saw him he was driving a a beat up old VW Golf through the town.
He was wearing a wooly hat, sunglasses and sported a massive beard.:eek:

WATP1979
What was the real reason he moved on??

KingWoody45

I take it you know the story? Go on spill a wee bit........

adamski
02-12-2010, 13:34
In all the years I've watched the game I don't recall another striker who so seldom missed the target.
OK Negri didn't score every shot, but he very rarely blazed it over or stuck it wide, usually it was a post, bar, save or goal.

remember a midweek game at Kilmarnock, think it was the one where Williamson said after he expected Negri to hit 60.

Hit two in a minute or thereabouts and they spent the next ten minutes sliding in left, right and centre in front of him like men possessed trying to stop him.:D

Phil Leotardo

Is the new book exclusively about Negri? If not what is it about?

le bluebear

Exactly my sentiments.

His eye for goal was just astonishing.

El Guaje

Did he ever get over the problems he had with his legs. Last I heard he was thinking about having it amputated :eek:

tanshoes
02-12-2010, 13:35
Classic example of the roller coaster of the 10IAR chase. He was amazing for the first half of that season and I so wanted him to get back fit. I remember training next to him in Living Well.

One of a few "if only's" around that period. The others for me were Oleg Kuznetsov, Seb Rozental, and Michael Mols. Guys that gave you glimpses of real star quality but were cruelly taken away from us. Mario Jardel is another for different reasons.

Either way it will be a very interesting read.

le bluebear
02-12-2010, 13:35

Was that not Kenny Miller ?

:D

Bluefin221
02-12-2010, 13:36
Think most strikers moving from Serie A to the SPL - especially in the 1990's when the Italian league was so strong - would find the extra space and time afforded in Scotland enabling them to score a barrel load. Which Negri did.

53easy
02-12-2010, 13:36
Any excuse.

What was your favourite Negri goal?

His left footed strike against the Filth was my choice.

adamski
02-12-2010, 13:39
Laurence Love

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/jan2010/0/7/lorenzo-amoruso-image-2-988958269.jpg

Mark Black

http://www.iffhs-media.de/9-Liga/9-Liga-T98-27.jpg

adamski
02-12-2010, 13:41
does he own a Vineyard now?

http://www.viewpoints.com/Marco-Negri-review-68af

El Guaje
02-12-2010, 13:41

The lob v Hearts on his debut.

Crouchy
02-12-2010, 13:42
Looking forward to reading this.

A strange, strange character indeed.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
02-12-2010, 13:46

By a mile.

To have the skill to chip a 6ft 5in GK like Rousset who was only a few yards off his line was quite unbelievable...

ekbear
02-12-2010, 13:49

Gotta be the chip against Dundee Utd. McKimmie and Pressley clattering into each other made it even better.

chateaubleu
02-12-2010, 13:51

0:40 of that video. ;)

le bluebear
02-12-2010, 13:54
Sat at Ibrox for weeks saying to mates '' well lads that's 10 in a row in the bag''.

RangersExo_Trela
02-12-2010, 13:54
One of the most clinical finishers we are most likely to see at our club.

BlueNoseCairns
02-12-2010, 13:55
Wonder if Negri will 'squash' the rumours in this book

williewoodburn
02-12-2010, 13:57

wishing he hadn't got rid of his karaoke machine ?

wordy_rappinghood
02-12-2010, 14:02
It's all very well pointing out he had it easy in the SPL but my goodness, his range of finishing was just out of this world. I've never seen a better finisher anywhere.

BlueKidG
02-12-2010, 14:03

he looked like jim morrison at his drunkest :D

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_football/NEGRI_Marco_19970913_GH_L.jpg

http://www.trunkbunker.com/jimmorrison.jpg

Uncanny I tell ye:p

Sir Duncan Ferguson
02-12-2010, 14:04
For such a good finisher, his penalties were more often than not "heart in the mouth" moments...

53easy
02-12-2010, 14:05
For such a good finisher, his penalties were more often than not "heart in the mouth" moments...

The one against Hibs that eventually got back to him :D

Bluefin221
02-12-2010, 14:06
It's all very well pointing out he had it easy in the SPL but my goodness, his range of finishing was just out of this world. I've never seen a better finisher anywhere.

Perhaps. But then he was disappointing in our four European matches that season.

El Guaje
02-12-2010, 14:06

He preferred the laces right through it technique :D

Macman
02-12-2010, 14:09
There was a photo of him in the record one day, with the sunglasses and beard, he was the double of Jim Morrison.

jonnymcc1
02-12-2010, 14:09
Looking forward to hearing his story.

Feed_The_Pap
02-12-2010, 14:10
If he kept up his form for us he would have been one of the best spl players of all time. Unbelievable goalscorer.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
02-12-2010, 14:11
Perhaps. But then he was disappointing in our four European matches that season.

We played six, he played in five, he scored three goals and was shamefully dropped for the Strasbourg away game.

Smith's tactics were a joke that season. Two penalty box predators against Gothenburg when we had zero width in the team and after Durie had provided an excellent foil for him in the previous game against Dundee United ?

The laffbot
02-12-2010, 14:12
Waster like webster imo

le bluebear
02-12-2010, 14:14
McNee regularly lambasted him because he didn't smile enough.

Aye , very good Gerry.

gattuso8

was that not jim morrison ?

bigkahunarab
Astounding finisher, make no mistake though if this man had been able to manage his demons he'd never have been at Ibrox even with the cash we had. Just wish he'd held it together for 9 months instead of five.

King William 06
Cant believe that was 12 years ago. If I remember right did he not recieve a lot of stick for lack of celebrations, from that youtube video he seemed to celebrate just fine.

RangersExo_Trela
Waster like webster imo

What a boring troll.

Earth Worm Jim
02-12-2010, 14:15
i always remember the fuss the press made of him never ever smiling after a goal

The laffbot
02-12-2010, 14:17
What a boring troll.

Was at the club for four years yet he only played for a few months. We should have got rid of him alot sooner its because of people like negri we are in the position we are now financially. But yes because i don't agree with you i'm a troll :roll:

wc06
02-12-2010, 14:18
He was up there in that short spell as one of the best finishers if not the best that we are ever likely to see in the Scottish game IMO.

Feed_The_Pap
02-12-2010, 14:19
I had the dabate a while ago about who you would rather have in your team, a 1997 Marco Negri or a pre-injury Michael Mols?

I said Negri. Every day of the week. Mols was definitely a better football player but scoring 30 goals before Christmas is just ridiculous.

ekprod
02-12-2010, 14:19
This video of all his goals dispels the myth of him not celebrating or smiling after scoring

RangersExo_Trela
02-12-2010, 14:21
Was at the club for four years yet he only played for a few months. We should have got rid of him alot sooner its because of people like negri we are in the position we are now financially. But yes because i don't agree with you i'm a troll :roll:

No, you are trolling as normal.

the prodfather2
legend........

davieloyal
i liked the goal he scored at the piggery from a durie pass he other great goals

frankfurterbear1
Any excuse.

What this video shows is that he did celebrate goals.
I've went along with this idea that he never celebrated, he sure did.
Though his penalties were ropey....

Stuart_WATP
02-12-2010, 14:23
His goal against the tims with his left peg was a cracker.

Wilse
Any excuse.

Yeesh, that took me back.

Excellent video - cheers!

KBOTW

The guy had issues, but to compare him to Andy Webster (not forgetting the talent Marco Negri had) is just bloody stupid.

Did you ever see Negri play?

wordy_rappinghood
02-12-2010, 14:25
I had the dabate a while ago about who you would rather have in your team, a 1997 Marco Negri or a pre-injury Michael Mols?

I said Negri. Every day of the week. Mols was definitely a better football player but scoring 30 goals before Christmas is just ridiculous.

Oh no, Mols every time.

Mols before injury was up there with Laudrup and de Boer, terrifying not only SPL defences but Italian and German ones as well. Had he not got injured the filthy fawning over that abnoxious cheat Larsson would be tempered somewhat.

Mols and Negri though....

The laffbot
02-12-2010, 14:26
No, you are trolling as normal.

Good reply :D The fact of the matter is we spent millions of pounds on a player that played 30 or so games for us wich is a total waste of money and wages considering the time he spent here. Are you happy with the financial position we are in now? It's because of deals like this we can't afford to buy players now. Yes he was a phenomenal goal scorer when he played but he was also a complete waste of money hence the waster tag i gave him.

nanook_loyal
02-12-2010, 14:27
Just a quick thought! I remember watching the One Eck of a Double DVD of Big Ecks first half season and one of the DVDs showed every goal from that full season and if my memory serves me right just about every second goal on that DVD was scored by Tore Andre Flo yet he was labelled a failure for not "scoring in the big games" ( I appreciate Flos highly inflated transfer fee was a part of this ). Anyway the point I make is watching the youtube video of Negri I didn't notice to many goals against the big teams.

Ps I say this as someone who enjoyed watching and admired Negri

The laffbot
The guy had issues, but to compare him to Andy Webster (not forgetting the talent Marco Negri had) is just bloody stupid.

Did you ever see Negri play?

Yes i did, great player. Still he was a waste of money.

carltonblue

He had that Gerd Muller ability to keep the ball really close to his body, and put it over the line in any number of ways.

What migt have been, I guess

wordy_rappinghood
02-12-2010, 14:29
Just a quick thought! I remember watching the One Eck of a Double DVD of Big Ecks first half season and one of the DVDs showed every goal from that full season and if my memory serves me right just about every second goal on that DVD was scored by Tore Andre Flo yet he was labelled a failure for not "scoring in the big games" ( I appreciate Flos highly inflated transfer fee was a part of this ). Anyway the point I make is watching the youtube video of Negri I didn't notice to many goals against the big teams.

Ps I say this as someone who enjoyed watching and admired Negri

Had Flo been a free transfer or signed for a modest fee, he would have been seen as a success.

BTW, Flo only ever scored once against Celtic in more games than Negri, who alos only got one so your point is a bit moot.

carltonblue
02-12-2010, 14:33
Yeesh, that took me back.

Excellent video - cheers!

wee clip near the end - Negri, Durrant and Laudrup celebrating - we never knew how lucky we were....

Bluefin221
02-12-2010, 14:39
We played six, he played in five, he scored three goals and was shamefully dropped for the Strasbourg away game.

Smith's tactics were a joke that season. Two penalty box predators against Gothenburg when we had zero width in the team and after Durie had provided an excellent foil for him in the previous game against Dundee United ?

I think we can disregard the goals against GI Gotu, Dunc.

You're right that we were a tactical shambles against Gothenburg and Strasbourg. Having attended both matches at Ibrox, though, I don't remember Negri being a particular problem for either side. Though, yes, that was true of almost every Rangers player.

Bonkle Bear
02-12-2010, 14:41
Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

The Hearts lob was an audacious effort and as good a finish as I have seen in the flesh.

Shades of McCoist in his prime during that six months.

briggsy
02-12-2010, 14:43
if only eh.
I wonder if he will speak truthfully about what really happened.
He was a bad egg at a lot of clubs mind you.
but what a goal scorer.

don't see why not, he's no ties to Rangers or anyone previously at the club.

ClubFootzZz
02-12-2010, 14:56
Any excuse.

Interesting top-rated comment on that video...

Dave Angell
02-12-2010, 15:00
Sat at Ibrox for weeks saying to mates '' well lads that's 10 in a row in the bag''.

Without doubt it would have been 10.

As it was, Negri went right off the boil & it was left to the ageing McCoist to try salvage our season.

BlueKidG
02-12-2010, 15:01
Good reply :D The fact of the matter is we spent millions of pounds on a player that played 30 or so games for us wich is a total waste of money and wages considering the time he spent here. Are you happy with the financial position we are in now? It's because of deals like this we can't afford to buy players now. Yes he was a phenomenal goal scorer when he played but he was also a complete waste of money hence the waster tag i gave him.

I agree to an extent.

However our current financial troubles really date from 2003 onwards.

bluebaz
02-12-2010, 15:01
A more recent picture of the man in question:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs882.snc4/71532_1434129449039_1107022550_30944198_4855956_n. jpg

No idea who the nork on the right is.

anglarna_ger
02-12-2010, 15:02

MegaRangers2010

9 months ago 9 Ive known marco and his wife monica for 10 years he did get an eye injury playing squash but thats not what kept him out so long he got an injury in training and picked up a flesh eating bug on his calf and when dick advocat came in he was frozen out he loved scotland and rangers

you mean that one?

Dudeboy
02-12-2010, 15:06
I had forgotten how good he was.

I have just spent a great 8 minutes at work watching youtube goals

Splendid!

Dave Angell
02-12-2010, 15:08
Cant believe that was 12 years ago. If I remember right did he not recieve a lot of stick for lack of celebrations, from that youtube video he seemed to celebrate just fine.

I think the yahoos latched onto that as "evidence" that Negri was unhappy at Rangers, and would soon be for the off.

Or to you and I, wishful thinking on the yahoos part !!

Blue Lew
02-12-2010, 15:21
I think the yahoos latched onto that as "evidence" that Negri was unhappy at Rangers, and would soon be for the off.

Or to you and I, wishful thinking on the yahoos part !!

"It's because Rainjurs pyoor hate kaffliks anthat"

PS- All the Jim Morrison comments were not far off the mark.
He looked a shambles.

graeme_rfc87
02-12-2010, 15:24
those lobs were great

burnleybank8463
02-12-2010, 15:26
The young man could certainly play, no doubts about that.

Some of those runs and finishes are as fine as you will see.

Arveladzes Shuffle
02-12-2010, 16:15

He sat out his 4 year contract and took his wages by putting in sicklines, i would,nt be the slightest bit interested in anything he had to say.

Dont understand the fascination with the guy he took a fortune out of Rangers.

The laffbot
02-12-2010, 16:19
He sat out his 4 year contract and took his wages by putting in sicklines, i would,nt be the slightest bit interested in anything he had to say.

Stop being a troll :roll:

Arveladzes Shuffle
02-12-2010, 16:31
Stop being a troll :roll:

They are the facts.

struthpark
02-12-2010, 16:31
Begs the question - what is the book about ?

The laffbot
02-12-2010, 16:32
They are the facts.

I said pretty much the same things earlier in the thread and supposedly its trolling :angel:

Arveladzes Shuffle
02-12-2010, 16:34
I said pretty much the same things earlier in the thread and supposedly its trolling :angel:

Never read the whole thread, understood my good man.

woozy
02-12-2010, 18:24
I think I had forgot how good that team was.

It's unbelievable, especially in retrospect, that we didn't win TIAR.

rosstheger
02-12-2010, 19:34
Will be an interesting story.

What is the book based on?

Blackwood_Teddybear
02-12-2010, 19:41

As it was, Negri went right off the boil & it was left to the ageing McCoist to try salvage our season.

McCoist was superb that season. Shocking that Brown didnt take him to the WC as the main striker or even as an option on the bench.

superbear
02-12-2010, 19:46

He went out on loan and did play some games later on.

WhosTheDado?
02-12-2010, 19:49
As a young kid he was my idol because of that season. Absolute predator, imagine having him and Mols on fire upfront.

tommymollerneilson
02-12-2010, 19:56
If Negri's attitude / mental health had been better, I'm positive we would have won ten in a row at a canter. I very much doubt he missed the second half of that season because of any physical injury.

I can't remember any player having so much of an impact in such a short space of time at Ibrox. We have to remember that this guy did appear to sit and take money for the best part of three and a half years, but going by what I've heard, Marco had one or two issues which prevented him from being the footballing great that he could have been. I'll be interested to see what we find out from this meeting.

ThePedroandMaryChain
02-12-2010, 20:27
Any excuse.

Why do Rangers videos always have such shite music???

womble 3
02-12-2010, 20:45

sorry have got to disagree

does andy dibble desrve to have his stroy told like

garymc1984
02-12-2010, 20:48

Mols easily.

Mols could have been as good as Laudrup for us.

ThePedroandMaryChain
02-12-2010, 21:02

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs882.snc4/71532_1434129449039_1107022550_30944198_4855956_n. jpg

That must be from his 40th. ;)

aquatic
02-12-2010, 21:15
Mols and Negri.............. if only, would have been about 15 in a row and counting

ruggyblue
02-12-2010, 21:16
Cousin could of been fantastic for us if he had the right attitude.

Redondo
02-12-2010, 21:17

That's a cracking poser, toughie - negri by a 'whisker' !

pelem
02-12-2010, 21:20

Get him over for the half time draw on 2nd Jan.

Blue Sea Of Ibrox
02-12-2010, 21:20
i would love to know what happened with him for sure. but as someone else pointed out he sat and done heehaw for years bleeding us dry. obviously knowing the facts of what went on may clear some of that up.

his goals were stunning and it was a truly amazing half a season. who knows what would have happened, mols aswell shame when it happens.

Lanarkshire
02-12-2010, 22:35
Mols and Negri.............. if only, would have been about 15 in a row and counting

now you're talking, what a pairing.

guess Negri now retired. did he play lower league last few years of career?

Disco DeeJay
02-12-2010, 22:46
now you're talking, what a pairing.

guess Negri now retired. did he play lower league last few years of career?

He didn't play much after he left us.

In 2002 he played in Serie B with Livorno. He scored 8 goals in 10 games, then they released him. :confused:

Not a bad return, so obviously more problems outwith his goal scoring abilities.

He had trials with Derby County and there were rumours that Ivano Bonetti tried to sign him for Dundee to play up front with Ravanelli.

Now that would have been a forward line.:)

CertifiedWeissfanboy
02-12-2010, 23:23

Stupid comments tbh. 'Don't understand the fascination', the fascination is pretty obvious. In his seminal stages at the club he looked like he could have been one of our best players ever, only to then fall into complete obscurity. I think it's quite simple to understand why so many are curious/'fascinated' with his story.

Westberksloyal
02-12-2010, 23:34
I sat with The Goalie on a night out a few years back and he told us that his injury was a genuine eye injury whilst playing squash with Porrini and his balance was wrecked afterwards. It's quite incredible that after the start we had with his help we ended up surrendering TIAR.

pedroblue
02-12-2010, 23:57
watching the video there reminded me of how clinical he was. He looked happy and there is passion in him everytime he hits the net.

I reckon something epic happened in his personal life that upset him deeply. Whatever it was tore his motivation for football away from him. Possibly something happened back in Italy and he needed to get back there.

Either that he didny like the Scottish winter the big jessie

theinkmaster
03-12-2010, 00:00
the press made his life here hell.
they moaned he was unhappy because he never smiled.
i remember a goal at rugby park where he ran to the crowd and pointed to the smile.
definitely had problems but the press went after him.

Gauche.
03-12-2010, 00:01
Strange guy,will we ever get the truth ? Was it as simple as a fall out with Smith ? the downside is that he was given a second chance by Advocaat but did not seem interested.

rez_1873
03-12-2010, 01:47
I remember him coming off the bench against Galatasaray which was one of advocaats more bizarre moments.

He's the best finisher I've ever seen. Better than Boyd or McCoist in terms of goals : chances ratio.

I would put part of the blame on Smith for his ludicrous team selections in the final 3 months of 10iar but would love to hear Negri's side of things.

supermac1873
03-12-2010, 01:54
I've been seeking clarification on what happened to Negri for yeas now! Will be good to find out

laud11coop
03-12-2010, 06:18
Interesting to hear what the real story is ...someone interviewed Marco a few years ago and it was in ET and Marco said that he had nothing but good things to say about his time in Scotland ..and that he loved playing for Rangers ..Once a Ger always a Ger...

Hopefully this will put this finally to bed.
Wonder what kind of reception he would get if he was ever invited to do the halftime intro ??
Now that would be interesting.

thevietnambear
03-12-2010, 08:58

LBB any rough publishing date for the book, best rgds to big Gary

thebluenosebear
03-12-2010, 09:56
IIRC Amo in his book says he didn't gel with the rest if the Italians as he didn't try to intergrate himself into the Scottish way of life therefore they gave up on him.

Before we signed him I remember thinking if he can score 14 league goals for a team like Venezia in a league like serie A (at it's time super strong) this boy will tear Scotland up....classic case of what might have been.

Bullseye
03-12-2010, 09:58
This should be a good read..

WestendGer
03-12-2010, 10:20
I remember him coming off the bench against Galatasaray which was one of advocaats more bizarre moments.

He's the best finisher I've ever seen. Better than Boyd or McCoist in terms of goals : chances ratio.

I would put part of the blame on Smith for his ludicrous team selections in the final 3 months of 10iar but would love to hear Negri's side of things.

I disagree.
Smith knew what he was getting when he signed him.
Negri had numerous clubs before he signed for us and Walter knew the risk he was taking.

HMS.Temple.Garden
03-12-2010, 10:26

we also knew there were issues with Cousin as well!

wacaktb
03-12-2010, 11:07
the 2 lobs vs hearts and dundee utd were exceptional, i am intrigued to actually know what really went wrong with the guy as well tbh.

Duranman
03-12-2010, 11:14
Can he speak English? His english wasn't exactly great whilst he was here and I'd imagine it will have slid somewhat by now

niftyfifty
03-12-2010, 11:17
I sat with The Goalie on a night out a few years back and he told us that his injury was a genuine eye injury whilst playing squash with Porrini and his balance was wrecked afterwards. [B]It's quite incredible that after the start we had with his help we ended up ]surrendering TIAR.

Major turning point that season was the OF game at the Piggery after Negri gave us the lead Celtc equalised in the 5th minute of injury time after Gazza had been sent off.

No clarification called for that night.

Duranman
03-12-2010, 11:18
[/B]

Major turning point that season was the OF game at the Piggery after Negri gave us the lead Celtc equalised in the 5th minute of injury time after Gazza had been sent off.

Larsson should have been sent off that night. Blatant forearm smash on Goram

smid7
03-12-2010, 12:56
Negri was a great striker. No f*cking about, just get the ball in the net.

WappaWong
09-12-2010, 13:09
Does anyone have any idea, of when we will be able to read about this interview?

dofekbilbo
09-12-2010, 13:14

The one when he chipped the goalkeeper against Hearts in the 1st league game. That was his 2nd goal in a 5 minute spell if I remember correctly.

Madrid Bill
09-12-2010, 13:15

7 clubs?
Who were they?
Wiki only has 2...:eek:

The_Glorious_12th
09-12-2010, 14:15
What's the book about?

The question has been asked a dozen times already, anyone got any idea?

Aimar
09-12-2010, 14:30
Will be a good read I hope, it's amazing how many people believe that made up interview he "gave".

dougiethebear
09-12-2010, 14:31
just think how many he would of scored if he had kept the head.

Sir Duncan Ferguson
09-12-2010, 14:34
[/B]

Losing to the Scum at New Year was the turning point.

We were 4 points in front of them going into the game.

We blew it and they cut the lead to one.

adamski
09-12-2010, 14:36
7 clubs?
Who were they?

Wiki also only starts listing them from 18 months before he signed for us.

;)

Seedy Gonzales
09-12-2010, 14:37
is it just me or where him and durie outstanding together. would need to see some of the old games again but seem to remember to 2 of them had a great understanding between them.

oranjeboy
09-12-2010, 14:37
Losing to the Scum at New Year was the turning point.

We were 4 points in front of them going into the game.

We blew it and they cut the lead to one.

we didnt have a shot on goal that day, utterly pathetic

Ter
09-12-2010, 14:40
7 clubs?
Who were they?

Season Club Apps/Goals
======================
1988/89 Udinese 3/0
1989/90 Novara 27/0
1990/91 Udinese 5/0
1991/92 US Ivry Football 23/4
1992/93 Cosenza 34/19
1992/93 US Ivry Football 9/1
1993/94 Bologna 24/8
1994/95 Cosenza 34/19
1995/96 Perugia 33/18
1996/97 Perugia 27/15
1997/98 Rangers 29/32
1998/99 Rangers 0/0
1999/90 Rangers 1/0
1999/90 Vicenza 9/1
2001/02 Cagliari 4/2
2001/02 Bologna 2/0
2002/03 Livorno 20/8
2004/05 Perugia 2/0

Younggun_stu23
09-12-2010, 14:40
The game he scored in at the Piggery was a farce.

Stubbs fouled Gough for the goal, and Gazza was sent off for nothing.

le bluebear
09-12-2010, 14:59
What's the book about?

The question has been asked a dozen times already, anyone got any idea?

I would imagine Marco's life.

Very interesting guy by all accounts.

gertilidie
09-12-2010, 14:59
[/B]

McCoist got my full wrath for the goal

Younggun_stu23
09-12-2010, 15:02

The Gazza sending off was a joke of a decision as well.

adamski
09-12-2010, 15:04
we didnt have a shot on goal that day, utterly pathetic

We shat it.

Played for a draw and got what we deserved.

Younggun_stu23
09-12-2010, 15:06
Lambert got a screamer in the New Year game :(

Remember switching off the tv the minute it went in.

53easy
09-12-2010, 15:11
We shat it.

Played for a draw and got what we deserved.

We still should have had a penalty for a foul on Laudrup.

brian m
09-12-2010, 20:14

Prince Naseem.:D

dunny
09-12-2010, 21:26
So will we be hearing about how the interview went etc. ?

Garrowhill_bear
09-12-2010, 21:34

that cant be negri!!! he is smiling :D

albertz11
09-12-2010, 23:12
[QUOTE=bluebaz;12714364]A more recent picture of the man in question:

Is it not more like the baddie "Indio" from the Spaghetti Western's :ninja:

bilkobear
09-12-2010, 23:18
i would love to know what happened with him for sure. but as someone else pointed out he sat and done heehaw for years bleeding us dry. obviously knowing the facts of what went on may clear some of that up.

his goals were stunning and it was a truly amazing half a season. who knows what would have happened, mols aswell shame when it happens.

I thought that he just fell out of favour.

Did he ever refuse to play when selected?
Did he ever pull a sicky when required to play?

adamski
10-03-2011, 12:09

anymore of an update LBB?

justice
10-03-2011, 12:15
I heard that the whole squash thing was a load of baws.. I heard that Porrini gave him a kicking and Negri went in the huff and refused to play after that.

Empire
22-05-2011, 21:25
Was thinking about Negri earlier due to a conversation on Facebook and remembered this.

Any updates?

ando1873
22-05-2011, 21:43
Season Club Apps/Goals
======================
1988/89 Udinese 3/0
1989/90 Novara 27/0
1990/91 Udinese 5/0
1991/92 US Ivry Football 23/4
1992/93 Cosenza 34/19
1992/93 US Ivry Football 9/1
1993/94 Bologna 24/8
1994/95 Cosenza 34/19
1995/96 Perugia 33/18
1996/97 Perugia 27/15
1997/98 Rangers 29/32
1998/99 Rangers 0/0
1999/90 Rangers 1/0
1999/90 Vicenza 9/1
2001/02 Cagliari 4/2
2001/02 Bologna 2/0
2002/03 Livorno 20/8
2004/05 Perugia 2/0

Only played 28 games in 7 years after that first season at us!

RAM90
22-05-2011, 22:13
What a fantastic player he was for us. I was very young when he played with us but I remember being at the game where he scored 5 against Dundee Utd, great finisher. Gutted when he left.

TrueblueAl
22-05-2011, 22:18

Ialways blamed Thern for that, he had a chance to score the minute before the freekick they got and scored from. He hit the ball straight into their goalies hands, he should have scored or even hitting the ball into the stands would probably have meant a victory for us.

Gunther Netzer
22-05-2011, 22:27
Was that not Kenny Miller ?

Shaun Maloney?:):):)

cocobob
22-05-2011, 22:35
What a fantastic player he was for us. I was very young when he played with us but I remember being at the game where he scored 5 against Dundee Utd, great finisher. Gutted when he left.

My son's first game.superb.

Elvis Cole
22-05-2011, 22:42
Have to say my opinion at the time was Walter was favouring Ally. It was world cup year. Ally had to be playing to go to the world cup. We could not play Super and Negri.

Im not party to what goes on inside the club but it seemed a shambles for such an important season. We sign a tallie with a big tadger as centre half. So we let Gough go to .......America I think. We then find out that said big tadgered tallie has been carrying an ankle injury and is out for most of the season. Then Gough comes back. We sign another tallie but we are not quite sure where in the back four we should play him. We sign Stale phuckin Stensas who half the time did not know whether it was New York, New year, Pancake Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday when faced with a winger. We signed another tallie who scored with every second touch but seemed to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Then Walter says hes chuckin it. Then we sell Gazza. Then the greatest ever (IMO) Rangers player who we have talked into staying a year even though he did not want to looks as if he is now playing with lead weights attached to his ankles.

Nearly put me in the nuthouse that season. Seriously. Total phuckin depression to the point where I had to give myself a good talking to and stop taking this daft game so seriously as it was affecting my mental health. Seriously.

Qwa
22-05-2011, 22:47
Ialways blamed Thern for that, he had a chance to score the minute before the freekick they got and scored from. He hit the ball straight into their goalies hands, he should have scored or even hitting the ball into the stands would probably have meant a victory for us.

How many times did he play for us that season? I remember when he signed thinking it was a major coup but don't think he was particularly influential, especially for a player of his ability and reputation. Did he retire after leaving us?

govantrueblue
22-05-2011, 22:52
How many times did he play for us that season? I remember when he signed thinking it was a major coup but don't think he was particularly influential, especially for a player of his ability and reputation. Did he retire after leaving us?

Played for Vicenza ,Livorno and West Ham after us.

ekprod
22-05-2011, 22:56
Played for Vicenza ,Livorno and West Ham after us.

Thern retired due to injury after playing for us

dylanholly
22-05-2011, 22:59
Have to say my opinion at the time was Walter was favouring Ally. It was world cup year. Ally had to be playing to go to the world cup. We could not play Super and Negri.

Im not party to what goes on inside the club but it seemed a shambles for such an important season. We sign a tallie with a big tadger as centre half. So we let Gough go to .......America I think. We then find out that said big tadgered tallie has been carrying an ankle injury and is out for most of the season. Then Gough comes back. We sign another tallie but we are not quite sure where in the back four we should play him. We sign Stale phuckin Stensas who half the time did not know whether it was New York, New year, Pancake Tuesday or Sheffield Wednesday when faced with a winger. We signed another tallie who scored with every second touch but seemed to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Then Walter says hes chuckin it. Then we sell Gazza. Then the greatest ever (IMO) Rangers player who we have talked into staying a year even though he did not want to looks as if he is now playing with lead weights attached to his ankles.

Nearly put me in the nuthouse that season. Seriously. Total phuckin depression to the point where I had to give myself a good talking to and stop taking this daft game so seriously as it was affecting my mental health. Seriously.

I still shake my head when I think about 10 in a row.

Celtic's pre season in chaos with a manager not even in place yet. A bit of unrest in the dressing room too if I remember correctly.

Negri scores 33 goals in half a season.

THEN

Big **** off billboard poster with Wattie doing the teacher thing, pointing to the Blackboard with " 9/10 - Must Do Better! " Made me think THAT is going to get their backs up big time!

Walter announces he's leaving at the end of the season.

Rangers V Liverpool Testimonial has "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Echo & The Bunnymen playing at half-time and I am sitting going No, no, no, no. We have a mission here - no time for sentimental stuff.

We did the hard bit though by beating Celtic 2-0 and go top on goal difference with a few games remaining.

Then Kilmarnock beat us.

The team definitely was running on empty along with uncertainty for the players futures. But there were a load of stupid things along the way and if we stayed focused we would still have made it I think. :mad:

turrabear
22-05-2011, 23:15
if the book is about negri's time at rangers it could well be a very short read.

Qwa
22-05-2011, 23:17
Was it during the 10IAR season where we were involved in a 5-a-side tournament against the likes of AC Milan and McCoist came back injured?

paulw14rfc
22-05-2011, 23:46
Was it during the 10IAR season where we were involved in a 5-a-side tournament against the likes of AC Milan and McCoist came back injured?

Season before in Amsterdam against Ajax,Milan and i think Liverpool?.

dmtommo
23-05-2011, 00:38

summed it up nicely mate:(

dmtommo
23-05-2011, 00:42
I still shake my head when I think about 10 in a row.

Celtic's pre season in chaos with a manager not even in place yet. A bit of unrest in the dressing room too if I remember correctly.

Negri scores 33 goals in half a season.

THEN

Big **** off billboard poster with Wattie doing the teacher thing, pointing to the Blackboard with " 9/10 - Must Do Better! " Made me think THAT is going to get their backs up big time!

Walter announces he's leaving at the end of the season.

Rangers V Liverpool Testimonial has "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Echo & The Bunnymen playing at half-time and I am sitting going No, no, no, no. We have a mission here - no time for sentimental stuff.

We did the hard bit though by beating Celtic 2-0 and go top on goal difference with a few games remaining.

Then Kilmarnock beat us.

The team definitely was running on empty along with uncertainty for the players futures. But there were a load of stupid things along the way and if we stayed focused we would still have made it I think. :mad:

defo. i don't usually shout abuse at our players, but i did that day (killie) i was disgusted. we'd done the hard bit ffs

Jessicailie
23-05-2011, 00:55
does he own a Vineyard now?

http://www.viewpoints.com/Marco-Negri-review-68af

*** a vineyard? Are you serious?

blu_ultra
23-05-2011, 00:58
defo. i don't usually shout abuse at our players, but i did that day (killie) i was disgusted. we'd done the hard bit ffs

One of the lowest feelings as a Rangers supporter. I said to my mates that I felt as if the United game this season had that feel about out - but it turned out alright in the end. :)

le bluebear
23-05-2011, 07:55
Update on this.

Gary tells me that Marco was great to work with but the project , for the time being, has been put on the back burner due to problems trying to strike a deal with a publisher.

They are all pulling their belts in.

magnus
23-05-2011, 08:05
Update on this.

Gary tells me that Marco was great to work with but the project , for the time being, has been put on the back burner due to problems trying to strike a deal with a publisher.

What sort of money does it take to have such a book published?

dougsdir24
23-05-2011, 08:40

was that the game at ibrox where killie scored in the last minute for a 1-0 defeat, im sure it was pishing of rain as well.
I remember walking back to the bus and all the chat was "what ifs", with Marco Negri's name being mentioned a lot! :(

barney7877
23-05-2011, 08:42

A flesh eating bug was apperently the issue...;)

Bishopbriggs
23-05-2011, 08:43
Any excuse.

Totally amazing clips there mate.

Brought back so many memories too.

I forgot how fat Gazza had got in the 10IAR season.

Blast from the past - Sieb Dykstra! :)

bluebaz
23-05-2011, 09:12
Update on this.

A shame to hear that as I would looking forward to reading it.

Keep us to date chief.

Laudrup1
23-05-2011, 09:51
By a mile.

To have the skill to chip a 6ft 5in GK like Rousset who was only a few yards off his line was quite unbelievable...

That was brilliant but the one against Utd was even better for me.

Ok, Dykstra was off his line but to lift the ball over the two defenders (twice) first was something special.

KingCarlos
23-05-2011, 10:16

Seriously?

Blues_and_Twos
23-05-2011, 10:20
Many clips of him happy whilst scoring.

Blows apart the myth that he was miserable.

CGC
23-05-2011, 10:23
Update on this.

If it's already written couldn't he self-publish? Lots of places on the net you can do this. Not sure if commercially viable though.

baku_bear
23-05-2011, 10:27

His chip against Dumpdee Utd after flicking it over the defender twice then lobbing the keeper from about 20 yards. Think it was Dykstra in goal so no mean feat! :)

Think it was Stewart McKimmie he chipped it over twice >:)

david1982
23-05-2011, 10:27

Amoruso had a knee injury that kept him out for months did he not?

frankieboy
23-05-2011, 10:29
Any excuse.

I forgot just how good he was,another what he could have been,

Brilliant;)

thebluenosebear
23-05-2011, 11:01
What sort of money does it take to have such a book published?

Depends on what the subject wants from it, had a project that couldn't get off the ground this year myself due to the financial demands of person involed.

TangledUpInBlue
23-05-2011, 11:37

totally agree. In fact I have still not recovered from it.

53easy
23-05-2011, 11:39

Amoruso got injured in a friendly match against Everton.

Lanarkshire
09-10-2012, 20:36
I loved Negri in his brief spell on pitch with us.

When he scored his 5th of the day vs DUU in 85th minute, check You Tube and not a single fan had left their seat. No subway loyal then. He entertained the fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DquCot2ss&feature=youtu.be

He seemed to always hit the target and if not a goal then at least forced a save. Or hit post or bar. Hitting bar off the pitch was an issue also it seems!

Sam_English
09-10-2012, 20:40
Should be an interesting read

RFC_Sooty
09-10-2012, 20:44
The roar at Negri's 3rd against United was phenomenal for an average league match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZAD-4asMC8 .... Negri at Perugia.

Kel
09-10-2012, 20:53
I loved Negri in his brief spell on pitch with us.

When he scored his 5th of the day vs DUU in 85th minute, check You Tube and not a single fan had left their seat. No subway loyal then. He entertained the fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DquCot2ss&feature=youtu.be

He seemed to always hit the target and if not a goal then at least forced a save. Or hit post or bar. Hitting bar off the pitch was an issue also it seems!

I left at half time that day :D

turrabear
09-10-2012, 21:08
I left at half time that day :D

then you really missed something.

sweepitup
09-10-2012, 21:13
[/B]

Bounced a coca cola bottle off the Television that night, bounced and smashed one of the wife's Royal Doultons off the top of the fireplace. Cost me over a 100 to replace! Think it was that big Scouse git Stubbs who scored?

Empire
09-10-2012, 21:14
Does the OP have an update on this?

Sorry if i've missed it.

berkshiretrueblue
09-10-2012, 21:18
Our best out and out goalscorer since Jim Forrest. Negri would have set a new record for goals scored in a season had he played the full season and it would have been a record that would never have been beaten.

northerner
09-10-2012, 22:36
Even if the book doesn't get published, a wee update on how he's doing, what he's up to now, etc wouldn't go amiss?

stayfor90mins
09-10-2012, 22:45

I will want a copy of this book when its completed, Negri was awesome for us..!

Russell_Nash
09-10-2012, 22:46

allegedly - he gave big ammo's burd the boabie and porini battered him

Northampton Lodger
09-10-2012, 22:49
Miserable bassa.

Mostin
09-10-2012, 22:49
robbed us for 3 years did he not...

Bloomagoo
09-10-2012, 23:15

Did Negri not say that Walter was picking Ally before him to help him gain his international caps target. sure I read that somewhere.;)

geo1667
10-10-2012, 07:46
Could have been a legend,love to know what really happened.

Peoples poet
10-10-2012, 07:50

Well that will help me to be persuaded not to buy the book. As far as Rangers players go he is one of my most hated and there are not many of them. A waster and a shirker.

okeydokey505
10-10-2012, 08:22
Miserable bassa.

I would have miserable bastards like him every day of the week if they put the ball in the pokey ;)

ekprod
10-10-2012, 08:33
So has the book been written?

fourbaw
10-10-2012, 08:48
Still can't forget the 5 against Dundee scum

Bristol_bnose
10-10-2012, 09:00
Well that will help me to be persuaded not to buy the book. As far as Rangers players go he is one of my most hated and there are not many of them. A waster and a shirker.

I dont understand that logic. You may or may not have liked him as a player, but surely it will be fascinating for any Rangers supporter who watched the guy play to get his side of the story and his insight into his time at the club - good or bad.

I for one would love to learn more about what was basically the greatest enigma that ever set foot inside Ibrox.

If the book cant be published a wee summary of what he's doing etc would be great.

Steadfast
10-10-2012, 09:16
It's hard to take much joy from remembering Negri as that season was the worst I've felt as a bear until recent times.

I remember lots of silences in the car back from games and a fairly serious scrap breaking out between my uncles before we'd even got in the car. :(

TangledUpInBlue
10-10-2012, 09:29
Did Negri not say that Walter was picking Ally before him to help him gain his international caps target. sure I read that somewhere.;)

When Negri started playing up (claiming injury and drinking himself stupid in Embra) Walter's response when asked re his condition in a press conference was to "refer to him by a word unpublishable in a newspaper"

laganvillage
10-10-2012, 09:31
I recall being at Dunfermline game when we trounced them 7-0.Gazza scored twice but If memory is right Negri only got about 6 touches.He scored 3 and hit post twice.
Even without him we still should have wone the league.For every step forward we took a step back.The last few weeks of season were hellish.If we had beaten Kilmarnock in our last home game we would have won it as the filth drew the next day at Dunfermline.

the_ref
10-10-2012, 09:39
Bounced a coca cola bottle off the Television that night, bounced and smashed one of the wife's Royal Doultons off the top of the fireplace. Cost me over a 100 to replace! Think it was that big Scouse git Stubbs who scored?

wrong, it was Paul Elliot that scored for them.

Elliot also scored for Killie when the drew 0-0 with us, and ate a banana after he scored.

davieloyal
10-10-2012, 10:52

Elliot also scored for Killie when the drew 0-0 with us, and ate a banana after he scored.

stubbs scored the goal at the piggery the game that negri scored from duries pass i was at that game his goal was a header ref added about 6 mins injury time to let them score dont think elliot was at the club then.

cowieger
10-10-2012, 11:08
Negri did he not lose his sight in an eye playing squash.???

Lt Frank Drebin
10-10-2012, 11:13
Negri did he not lose his sight in an eye playing squash.???

dont know if your fishing with that but to answer your question I will say 'alledgedly' :ninja:

BlackIsleBlue
10-10-2012, 11:14
Marco Negri Found !

I didn't know we were looking!?

Sounds like it could be an interesting read.

marstonbear
10-10-2012, 11:19

Negri was once quoted as saying he was left out of the team towards the end of the 97/98 season as he was closing in on McCoist's record of post-war league goals in a single season

Oneupcasual1873
10-10-2012, 11:30

Sorry but your wrong, Elliot had long since left the filth by then, it was Stubbs who scored in injury time.

Tagsbear
10-10-2012, 11:48
Sorry but your wrong, Elliot had long since left the filth by then, it was Stubbs who scored in injury time.

Haha, not everyone has read the nonsense Elliot has been spouting, but how can you bite at him scoring for Killie in a 0-0 draw haha

Southside_Shug
10-10-2012, 11:50
For all his goalscoring prowess , I remember him coming back in a friendly against Glentoran(?) after the papes hammered us at the Potatodome....he was absolutely shocking!!!

ibroxkev
10-10-2012, 12:45

I would agree with this. Was in the West Enclosure that night and had a great view of it.

davieloyal
10-10-2012, 13:16

beat you to it :)

toadegree
10-10-2012, 14:31
Scored in 9 consecutive matches which is a Rangers record, and scored all 5 against Dundee United. A great selection of goals in the 5 against the Dundee Hibs and not a smile after any one of them. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF3Rgqb4c38

gboigloyalist
10-10-2012, 14:42
What a player but my overriding memory was a reserve or u21 game where he didn't try a leg and the young uns were busting a gut to cover for him. In saying that i've seen a few senior players doing that.

apollo
10-10-2012, 16:01

HaHa... It made me laugh:D

KingLaudrup
10-10-2012, 16:03
Scored in 9 consecutive matches which is a Rangers record, and scored all 5 against Dundee United. A great selection of goals in the 5 against the Dundee Hibs and not a smile after any one of them. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF3Rgqb4c38

I'm sure I've seen footage of him celebrating properly after goals - he was nevertheless a right moody so-and-so.

Bloomagoo
10-10-2012, 16:06
Negri was once quoted as saying he was left out of the team towards the end of the 97/98 season as he was closing in on McCoist's record of post-war league goals in a single season

Ahh! thats what it was :D brain getting a bit fuzzy with age :o :)

leerfc51
10-10-2012, 16:07
Is it just me or did anyone get a shock reading the headline of this thread with the amount of pages on it!!! 'Marco Negri Found' :eek: !

Arveladzes Shuffle
10-10-2012, 16:09

Wouldnt buy it, guy took a fortune out of Rangers for doing next to nothing.

ekprod
10-10-2012, 17:41
This video of all his goals dispels the myth of him not celebrating or smiling after scoring

Posted this first time round......

sirbluenose
10-10-2012, 17:48
Was it Negri that was still on the books when Advocaat came
He was given a game against (I think Dundee Utd) and got on the end of everything but their keeper played a stormer and Advocaat said that was it
i

VelvetUnderground
10-10-2012, 17:53
I vaguely remember him have like one comeback game, then never to be heard from again.

Ally54
10-10-2012, 18:08
Was it Negri that was still on the books when Advocaat came
He was given a game against (I think Dundee Utd) and got on the end of everything but their keeper played a stormer and Advocaat said that was it
i

He also came off the bench in the CL away game against Graz.

malcolmfg1
10-10-2012, 18:13

that was my first ever ranges v celtic memory, it was stubbs who scored. :mad:

i remember going up to my room in a strop as a young boy and being absolutely gutted.

byebyethehihi
10-10-2012, 18:14
beat you to it :)

Ooft. Bad enough you bit once, but to come back in after there had been something of an explanation in between times?

wullie1872
10-10-2012, 18:31
remember he scored 5 against dundee hivs. advocaat tried to give him a chance iirc

Parkway Al
10-10-2012, 19:56
I think Advocaat gave him a game in the Scottish Cup against Morton, which IIRC was played at Love St.

the_ref
10-10-2012, 21:17
Ooft. Bad enough you bit once, but to come back in after there had been something of an explanation in between times?

:)

Can see him thinking, "that's put the guy who said Paul Elliot scored in his place"!

gazzatails
10-10-2012, 22:00
Did he not reappear against utd at ibrox in a cup game

J.E.L.A.V.I.C
11-10-2012, 11:42
One of the Goals v dundee united, couple of keepie ups over the defenders head then 18 yard lob over Dykstra was brilliant

Rangerista
11-10-2012, 13:52
Almost a tear in the eye watching that compilation of his goals, his breadth of finishing was awesome. How his career went into reverse so suddenly and mysteriously is something that will confound me to the day I die.

Perhaps Gary Ralston will provide the answer?