PDA

View Full Version : Airdrie United Remembrance Fail?

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:29
*************Story updated. Please see post 111 for more info***************

I went into my local after the sheep game yesterday and a few of the regulars were in after doing hospitality at Airdrie v Livingston.
There were a couple of their matchday programs lying around and Airdrie seemed to have done a Remembrance cover.
Looking at the cover and the photo used it looks like a major fail, especially when you look at the uniforms on the soldiers in the picture.
Surely it's a picture of German troops? :confused:
Anyone able to shed some light on why this particular picture was used?
No-one in the pub, Bears or Airdrie fans could quite workout why that picture was used. :eek:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x77/Walkers_Loyal/IMG_0200.jpg

LanarkshireBlue
14-11-2010, 14:31
That is quite bizarre.

RFC_52
14-11-2010, 14:34
PMSL who ever was in charge of the programme should get the sack.

canagers
14-11-2010, 14:35
I'm quite sure the Sponsor of the match magazine,so proudly emblazoned on the cover,will have something to say about that little Faux pas.

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:35
That is quite bizarre.

Especially with the fact they have German soldiers and emblazoned over the picture is the phrase "Supporting our heroes"! :D

Dalriadager
14-11-2010, 14:36
What a disaster

Cooperfan
14-11-2010, 14:37
Strange. Very strange.

troy.mclure
14-11-2010, 14:38
Crickey! All the pictures kicking around of the war and they pick that one :eek:

Royal Burgh Fanatic
14-11-2010, 14:40
That could be malicious rather than an error.

Dalriadager
14-11-2010, 14:42
My first thoughts RBF but surely they have no beef with the poppy, or do they?

BroomhouseBear
IMO Remembrance Sunday is about remembering ALL those who have fallen in conflict, regardless of the country they fought for and the big focus for most people is WWII and WWI. The picture seems to be from WWII so there's relevance. Yes, you'd expect a picture of British forces however regardless of what uniform they are wearing the picture is relevant.

I'd guess the person pulling the programme together thought a poignant photo of troops leaving their loved ones to go to war, and possibly never returning, was the ideal photo for the cover. Not everyone is an expert on the two World Wars and the person doing this has probably assumed they have found the appropriate photo for their cover and just not realised it is German troops.

If anyone is offended by this or demanding someone gets the sack they really need to take a good look at themselves.

LanarkshireBlue

That would be my second thought.

BroomhouseBear
14-11-2010, 14:43

Don't talk p*sh!! :roll:

Blue Lew

The thought did cross my mind but i think it's utter stupidity.
probably some lazy young tw@t who doesn't have a clue.

lothiantrueblue
IMO Remembrance Sunday is about remembering ALL those who have fallen in conflict, regardless of the country they fought for and the big focus for most people is WWII and WWI. The picture seems to be from WWII so there's relevance. Yes, you'd expect a picture of British forces however regardless of what uniform they are wearing the picture is relevant.

I'd guess the person pulling the programme together thought a poignant photo of troops leaving their loved ones to go to war, and possibly never returning, was the ideal photo for the cover. Not everyone is an expert on the two World Wars and the person doing this has probably assumed they have found the appropriate photo for their cover and just not realised it is German troops.

If anyone is offended by this or demanding someone gets the sack they really need to take a good look at themselves.

Beep beep

whoever pulled the material together has just joined the fail club.

Royal Burgh Fanatic
14-11-2010, 14:44
My first thoughts RBF but surely they have no beef with the poppy, or do they?

I mean someone at the printers could have been at the madam seeing as Airdrie have a small right-wing Nazi element in their support.

canagers
14-11-2010, 14:44

I agree entirely but it is an odd choice don't you think?

FlyingSidekick
14-11-2010, 14:45

Agree with this. They probably could have picked a more appropriate photo, but Remembrance Day is for all those who fought.

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:46

To be fair, no one on the thread has actually mentioned they wanted anyone sacked over this. It was merely posted as a discussion point because to me it seemed no more sinister than a simple fail on the editors part and most other people replying seem to be of the same mind.

Rt. Hon. Bearman
14-11-2010, 14:47

Own up.

It was you, wasn't it?:D

Halfwaythere
14-11-2010, 14:47

not offended, bemused and surprised that this never got picked up before printing.

Airdrie were only trying their best but they outsource all the checking, proof-writing, printing etc for their programmes like we do.

faircitybear
14-11-2010, 14:48
Congratulations OP, You've just made front page of tomorrows Rhebel...

Arveladzes Shuffle
14-11-2010, 14:48
Surely there must be someone who checks these things before its gets the go ahead. What a mistake.

Halfwaythere
14-11-2010, 14:49
I mean someone at the printers could have been at the madam seeing as Airdrie have a small right-wing Nazi element in their support.

says who? the same people who say Rangers have the same problem?

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:52
Congratulations OP, You've just made front page of tomorrows Rhebel...

S'pose it keeps the Rangers off the front page for once mate! Unless they go with the angle " Bigoted nazi sympathising Rangers supporter sabotages Airdrie's matchday program" :roll::D

gersmad
14-11-2010, 14:53
Could be some pc freak who thought an image of the red cross nurse feeding german prisoners appropriate.

Bizarre though.

Royal Burgh Fanatic
14-11-2010, 14:54
says who? the same people who say Rangers have the same problem?

Wasn't there an incident when some of them wore KKK type hoods to a game to taunt a Black player?

gorbalsbear3rd
14-11-2010, 14:54
]To be fair, no one on the thread has actually mentioned they wanted anyone sacked over this.[/B] It was merely posted as a discussion point because to me it seemed no more sinister than a simple fail on the editors part and most other people replying seem to be of the same mind.

post 3 .

RFC51Ibrox
14-11-2010, 14:55
Just a thought guys...Is that not a Polish uniform?

charlie bubbles
14-11-2010, 14:56
Germans were killed in wars also.

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:56
post 3 .

Fair do's mate but only 1 post out of 20 odd saying that would suggest most people just find it more of an embarrassing fail rather than malicious.

lothiantrueblue
14-11-2010, 14:58
Fair do's mate but only 1 post out of 20 odd saying that would suggest most people just find it more of an embarrassing fail rather than malicious.

It's a major fail.

;)

No doubt about it!

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 14:59

The emblem on the right side of the uniform does look more like the shape and size of the nazi eagle emblem though.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x77/Walkers_Loyal/IMG_0200.jpg
http://www.axishistory.com/fileadmin/user_upload/s/sleeve-ss-em.jpg

Dalriadager
14-11-2010, 15:00

Pretty sure it's german by the looks of it

Bigmother
14-11-2010, 15:00
Agree with this. They probably could have picked a more appropriate photo, but Remembrance Day is for all those who fought.

Does that include the Waffen SS,concentration camp guards and Japanese POW guards:mad:

Prosinecki
14-11-2010, 15:02

No.

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/wehrmacht42.jpg

German Wehrmacht uniform. As worn here by a group who were later prosecuted for sporting atrocious haircuts.

Dalriadager
14-11-2010, 15:03
No.

German Wehrmacht uniform. As worn here by a group who were later prosecuted for sporting atrocious haircuts.

:D Should have been shot for the do's alone

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 15:06
No.

Their war crimes didn't stop there because they then went on to form A Flock Of Seagulls. :D

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5314/wehrmacht42.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/wehrmacht42.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://ponderingsfrompluto.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/flockseagulls.jpg

thommo2006
14-11-2010, 15:07
Does that include the Waffen SS,concentration camp guards and Japanese POW guards:mad:

Yes a large amount of those people probably wouldn't have wanted to be involved in war or do the jobs they did but they had no choice if they refused they would have been in the camps or killed

deedle
14-11-2010, 15:44
I think most 'mistakes' like this are deliberate. No-one could possible be so stupid.

A disgruntled employee who hates Airdrie?

I'm amazed that the club would sell this.

sapper_guy
14-11-2010, 15:53
What pub in Airdrie was this bud ?

jimbo.b
14-11-2010, 15:55
Google images is not always your friend.

Airdrie has a history of KKK stuff, maybe it's not a mistake, James Traynor should be able to shed some light.................

SM
14-11-2010, 16:08
Not offended.

Only amused. :D

Duke
14-11-2010, 16:14
Their war crimes didn't stop there because they then went on to form A Flock Of Seagulls. :D

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5314/wehrmacht42.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/wehrmacht42.jpg/)

http://ponderingsfrompluto.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/flockseagulls.jpg

New Romantic Nazis eh... who would have thought it...

superbear
14-11-2010, 16:24

You'd only need to have seen the odd war film. :D

Bristol_bnose
14-11-2010, 16:27
I think it is hilarious.

I'm also amused that the poppy taleban are getting their knickers in a twist. :D

bilkobear
14-11-2010, 16:29

The word offended is perhaps too strong.
But I suspect that a few old soldiers will be more than a bit shocked and disappointed.

However it just about sums up the level of ignorance about history in the current generation.
Now that certainly offends me.

bigdrinks
14-11-2010, 16:32
I think it is hilarious.

I'm also amused that the poppy taleban are getting their knickers in a twist. :D

what he said

Rex
14-11-2010, 16:36
IMO Remembrance Sunday is about remembering ALL those who have fallen in conflict, regardless of the country they fought for and the big focus for most people is WWII and WWI.

Actually it's not. The poppy commemorates British and the Empire / Commonwealth soldiers in 2 World Wars and those who have served in conflicts since then.

On Remembrance Sunday we remember them too and reflect on war and remember all who fought, and stand in silence for those from our country who have lost their lives in conflicts since the start of WW1.

deedle
14-11-2010, 17:11
I think it is hilarious.

I bet those Airdrie fans who've lost a relative serving in the armed forces are splitting their sides. :roll:

SM
14-11-2010, 17:16
I bet those Airdrie fans who've lost a relative serving in the armed forces are splitting their sides. :roll:

Depends on whether or not they have a sense of humour, I suppose.

Hamburg
14-11-2010, 17:31
Probably printed in Dresden ;)

StavanGER
14-11-2010, 17:35

You Fail too, Pal!!!:mad:

From Wiki:
"In the United Kingdom, Remembrance Sunday is held on the second Sunday in November, the Sunday nearest to 11 November (Armistice Day),[1] which is the anniversary of the end of the hostilities of the First World War at 11 a.m. in 1918, "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts"[2]."

From PoppyScotland:
"Since then the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces, both at times of war and in their peace keeping duties. Importantly, for nearly 90 years it has raised millions of pounds to support the needs of veterans and their families, living in Scotland."

I wouldn't normally consider myself as one of the "Poppy Police" or whatever it is called on here but your level of ignorance shown here is shocking!:(

lothiantrueblue
14-11-2010, 17:37

From Wiki:
"In the United Kingdom, Remembrance Sunday is held on the second Sunday in November, the Sunday nearest to 11 November (Armistice Day),[1] which is the anniversary of the end of the hostilities of the First World War at 11 a.m. in 1918, "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts"[2]."

From PoppyScotland:
"Since then the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces, both at times of war and in their peace keeping duties. Importantly, for nearly 90 years it has raised millions of pounds to support the needs of veterans and their families, living in Scotland."

I wouldn't normally consider myself as one of the "Poppy Police" or whatever it is called on here but your level of ignorance shown here is shocking!:(

Can you give him a break, one of his mates is now facing the sack.

:mad:

:D

StavanGER
14-11-2010, 17:46
Sorry, LTB, it's just I can here ma old Cameronian grandfaither turning in his grave!! :D

milo
14-11-2010, 18:36
well the section b are pro nazis so they will be chuffed.

Sam_English
14-11-2010, 18:41
Surely someone with an ounce of sense would've spotted that these were Germans.

Cyberniv
14-11-2010, 19:06

Don't think so, but I've tweaked the text to fit the PC version anyway (with apologies to Poppy Scotland).
Looks hellish doesn't it, but it reflects the picture above it.

Not offended personally by the original, but I could think back to many now passed on who would be and I have not forgotten them.

I don't think the original picture was a mistake, I think it is PC crap - as per.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ab820.jpg

BroomhouseBear
14-11-2010, 19:08

From Wiki:

From PoppyScotland:

Feck me, get over yourself. :roll:

You'll notice at the start of the quote from myself that you used are the initials IMO - In My Opinion. My opinions are shaped by myself, not Wikipedia. :roll: I wasn't claiming it to be fact, it's MY opinion of what Remembrance Day should be all about. It's how I look upon the day. France isn't part of the Commonwealth yet I'm sure the day has some significance for their armed forces and country as a whole. And many young German lads were sent off to fight in a war they didn't believe in for a dictatorship they were terrified of, never to see their families again. Christ, in the last year of the war Hitler was throwing old men and secondary school kids to the front line. I'd like to think we can spare a thought for people like that at this time.

As for the photo on the cover of the programme - it's Airdrie so I would imagine they'll keep their costs as low as possible for their match day programme. Therefore it's probably put together by a recently graduated arts/media student. They've Googled "Troops leaving for the front line" for what they thought would be a very moving and appropriate picture for the cover. They then pick the one they think fits the message they want to get across, not realising it's a German uniform. A simple mistake, especially as any distinctive markings on the uniform are very blurred.

I'd have guessed it was probably a German uniform but someone in their early twenties who hasn't had much interest in WWII documentaries etc. probably wouldn't have a clue.

PS - It wasn't me (or a mate). :D I'm well past my early 20s :( and certainly not an arts/media graduate.

Jan Fabel
14-11-2010, 19:13
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9575/spaperpoppywhitebackgro.jpg (http://img822.imageshack.us/i/spaperpoppywhitebackgro.jpg/)
Poppy British Legion

URL=http://img241.imageshack.us/i/germanwargravescommissi.png/]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3448/germanwargravescommissi.png[/URL]

German War Graves Commission (Volksbund)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7567/bandeaus.jpg (http://img831.imageshack.us/i/bandeaus.jpg/)

(French War Graves Commission -Mémoire des hommes)
Every country involved in WWI & WWII lost soldiers and all have war grave commission and set ups similar to Erskine that need to be financed.

The Airdrie programme? conspiracy or cock up? I'm sure we will find out in time.

idlelout
14-11-2010, 19:15
Massive Fu~# Up!

Popbear
14-11-2010, 19:17

Think it would be a simple error

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 19:18
The Airdrie programme? conspiracy or cock up? I'm sure we will find out in time.

Tbh mate, I honestly am of the belief that the design of the program was outsourced to somebody cheap and they've cocked up in the choice of image used for the cover as a previous poster said.
I can't see it being something deliberate imo.

lebooboo
14-11-2010, 19:22

Even if someone shared your shaky definition of Remembrace Day, who in their right mind would think that it would be fitting to have Gerry soldiers as the focal point of the programme's tribute.

Some thicko has shown up the educational standards in this country with a massive bloomer. (I'm assuming that no one would be stupid enough to risk their job with a sabotage job on Airdrie).

SM
14-11-2010, 19:24
Tbh mate, I honestly am of the belief that the design of the program was outsourced to somebody cheap and they've cocked up in the choice of image used for the cover as a previous poster said.
I can't see it being something deliberate imo.

You would think it was a photo of Hitler that was on the cover given the reaction of some on here. :D

Walkers Loyal
14-11-2010, 19:25
You would think it was a photo of Hitler that was on the cover given the reaction of some on here. :D

He's driving the train. :D

Ashbourne Loyal
14-11-2010, 19:27
Thats feckin embarrassing. Brother Ash is a big Airdrie man but can`t seen to get a hold of him (hiding ? ). I was in Airdrie at the weekend. They should`ve asked me for a photo for the cover. I had 700 on a disc from the Great War. Keeps me informed AM. Think myself someones made a large error. To the person who said Airdrie had a neo-nazi support, get a grip. There aren`t many other supporters more pro-Britain than the Diamonds fans

SM
14-11-2010, 19:30
Thats feckin embarrassing. Brother Ash is a big Airdrie man but can`t seen to get a hold of him (hiding ? ). I was in Airdrie at the weekend. They should`ve asked me for a photo for the cover. I had 700 on a disc from the Great War. Keeps me informed AM. Think myself someones made a large error. To the person who said Airdrie had a neo-nazi support, get a grip. There aren`t many other supporters more pro-Britain than the Diamonds fans

What's being pro-Britain got to do with Nazism? :confused:

Walkers Loyal

Good to see you back online mate. That 3 days away from FF must've been murder for you!

lebooboo

He did serve in 2 world wars.

SM
14-11-2010, 19:32
He did serve in 2 world wars.

Even better - he caused one of them.

goldi2k6
14-11-2010, 19:34
probably find it was done by an "under 30 year old" who thinks winston churchill is a beer , half the retards cant even spell never mind distinguish allied/axis uniforms:mad:

SM
14-11-2010, 19:35
probably find it was done by an "under 30 year old" who thinks winston churchill is a beer , half the retards cant even spell never mind distinguish allied/axis uniforms:mad:

Everyone knows Winston Churchill sells car insurance.

Young 'uns today. No respect. Back in my day, etc, etc.

Ashbourne Loyal
14-11-2010, 19:36
What's being pro-Britain got to do with Nazism? :confused:

You know what i mean. Not going to get involved in pish talk. I`ll leave that to others

Ashbourne Loyal
14-11-2010, 19:37
Good to see you back online mate. That 3 days away from FF must've been murder for you!

I was on for hours last night mate. :) Good to be back

goldi2k6
14-11-2010, 19:38

the poles wore british uniforms

SM
14-11-2010, 19:42
You know what i mean. Not going to get involved in pish talk. I`ll leave that to others

Not really, but I'll leave it at that.

Stevenma
14-11-2010, 22:40
One of the biggest fails ever. Thats definately the Wehrmacht.

robert11s
15-11-2010, 10:04
Hope the OP Walkers Loyal got some £££ for giving this story to The Sun for page 7 spread today

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3228157/Footy-club-puts-Nazi-on-poppy-tribute.html

Jelle1880
15-11-2010, 10:09

If they're against the Poppy Appeal surely they could have just not done anything ?

Just a mistake.

Walkers Loyal
15-11-2010, 10:14
Hope the OP Walkers Loyal got some £££ for giving this story to The Sun for page 7 spread today

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3228157/Footy-club-puts-Nazi-on-poppy-tribute.html

I wish! cookiemonster sent me a text this morning to say that my picture was on the front page of the sun.
What do you reckon my legal stance is on them stealing my picture and story? :D

The_Gub
15-11-2010, 10:16
Germans were killed in wars also.

And quite rightly so.

deedle
15-11-2010, 10:25

Last night Airdrie United secretary Ann Marie Ballantyne said the image was chosen because Network Rail had been lined up to be match sponsors.

She said: "The picture we originally wanted looked too contrived, so we looked about for one with a train on it.

"As far as I know the snap came from PoppyScotland and we were told the soldiers were Australian. The idea was to tie in the train and Remembrance Sunday.

"In the end, Network Rail pulled out as sponsors at the last minute but by then everything was at the printers."

Ms Ballantyne added: "For the first time ever we had paid to get special strips made with poppies on them. Normally only SPL teams do that."

Last night PoppyScotland spokeswoman Leigh James described the club's blunder as "unfortunate" - but denied they supplied the photo.

She said: "That picture is definitely not from our website. We did not get an official approach from Airdrie United about using any images.

"Obviously the club meant well and tried to support the charity.

"Unfortunately they used a wrong image on this occasion - but their sentiments were correct."

Last night the Lanarkshire club's gaffe was the subject of mocking posts on supporters' websites.

Some fans were convinced the image had to be a fake, with one saying: "Surely nobody is THAT stupid?"

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3228157/Footy-club-puts-Nazi-on-poppy-tribute.html#ixzz15LDFe4KE

Major
15-11-2010, 10:27
IMO its a mistake by someone who googled the picture. I don't think it was done to have a dig at anyone . Just a mistake

Up The Bracket
15-11-2010, 11:19
She said: "The picture we originally wanted looked too contrived, so we looked about for one with a train on it.

Could have been worse! :eek:

Walkers Loyal
15-11-2010, 11:22

Could have been worse! :eek:

Very good! :D

buster
15-11-2010, 11:26
Forget this !.............We should be trying to clarify if the Groin Brigade have been banned yet !

Walkers Loyal
15-11-2010, 11:31
Forget this !.............We should be trying to clarify if the Groin Brigade have been banned yet !

I think we all know the answer to that one! :roll:

buster
15-11-2010, 11:34
I think we all know the answer to that one! :roll:

But if we as a support can bring as much pressure to bear as possible to try and persuade someone in the media to continue asking these questions and not let the issue go away.

They should have been identified by now and banned.

Tom English asked searching questions last week, they need to be followed up.

eg. AGM press conference this week.

Westvanbear
15-11-2010, 11:43
HHMMMM! yes strange indeed..However, it could be subtle.......Are they prisoners of war being treated fairly by red cross nurses.......Is it a local photograph of POW's being brought to the area.....etc etc .

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation.

I bloody well hope so......Thats for sure.

OH and just in case anyone thinks I'm going soft....The SS, Japanese etc should still be killed on sight...

Old RW&B
15-11-2010, 12:09
I've just searched Google images under, "German troops on train" and hey presto I've got a link to the "offending" picture.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/57114/3333221/

It appears to have been copied from an image sharing site and filed under "nurses in vintage pics" and clearly identifies the soldiers as German.

I searched again under "troops on train" dropping the reference to German and there is no link to the website and the picture is not displayed ???

As I had to search specifically for "German" troops on train, One has to wonder what search criteria was used by whoever it was that complied the programme? If you view the web page check out the "tags" for this picture !! Most definitely not linked to British & Commonwealth forces !!! The plot thickens :confused:

VelvetUnderground
15-11-2010, 12:17
Can't believe some idiots were sugegsting Remembrance Day was for remembering everyone who has died in wars!

Aye there's nothing like a minutes silence for our enemies in combat. Those poor nazis.

Also Nazi were not forced. There is a difference between the fu*kers running the camps and the average German solider out fighting.

This Programme seems an honest mistake by an idiot though.

Bristol_bnose
15-11-2010, 12:20
I've just searched Google images under, "German troops on train" and hey presto I've got a link to the "offending" picture.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/57114/3333221/

It appears to have been copied from an image sharing site and filed under "nurses in vintage pics" and clearly identifies the soldiers as German.

I searched again under "troops on train" dropping the reference to German and there is no link to the website and the picture is not displayed ???

As I had to search specifically for "German" troops on train, One has to wonder what search criteria was used by whoever it was that complied the programme? If you view the web page check out the "tags" for this picture !! Most definitely not linked to British & Commonwealth forces !!! The plot thickens :confused:

Can i have a loan of your tinfoil hat?

Old RW&B
15-11-2010, 12:25

Lost me mate. Why do I need a tinfoil hat ??

VelvetUnderground
15-11-2010, 12:31
To keep out the voices I presume :D

Bristol_bnose
15-11-2010, 12:32
Lost me mate. Why do I need a tinfoil hat ??

http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bb2969e20120a545ddc8970c-800wi

The_Gub
15-11-2010, 12:36
Can't believe some idiots were sugegsting Remembrance Day was for remembering everyone who has died in wars!

Aye there's nothing like a minutes silence for our enemies in combat. Those poor nazis.

Also Nazi were not forced. There is a difference between the fu*kers running the camps and the average German solider out fighting.

This Programme seems an honest mistake by an idiot though.

Would that be the average German soldier bombing Britain or shooting British soldiers?

smethwickloyal
15-11-2010, 12:38
Absolute classic..no doubt they are German troops and what looks like a Deutsches Rote Kruez nurse..

gordon_blue
15-11-2010, 12:42
The programme editor was only following orders!

Dumkopf! Schweinhund!

lebooboo
15-11-2010, 12:44

The poster's raising a point about what you would have to be typing into google to come up with that picture of German troops...

I was wondering that myself. Just out of curiosity, like.

VelvetUnderground
15-11-2010, 12:46

Would that be the average German soldier bombing Britain or shooting British soldiers?

Both as far as I know. Not sure about the Luftwaffe but I there were thousands of German soldiers who were not Nazis.

I don't get your point? I wasn't the one that suggested we're holding a minutes silence for fallen German soldiers.

SM
15-11-2010, 12:49

Only obeying orders, Gub.

Regards,
SM (FF Einsatzgruppen)

Bazza1985
15-11-2010, 21:05
just seen this on the bbc news bulliten there... wonder if they got the story from here too!

vacuum1690
15-11-2010, 21:11
I suspect someone at it

GypsumFantastic
15-11-2010, 21:16
Hmmm, was it really worthy of a second headline from Jackie Turd on Reporting Scotland though? Slow news day?

GypsumFantastic
15-11-2010, 21:16
I suspect someone at it

That's what I thought too. Someone having a laugh and hoping they wouldn't notice.

kwodman
15-11-2010, 21:17
give them a break they only found out about the war 3 weeks ago in airdrie

numberoneallover
15-11-2010, 21:20
it made the daily rebel today

TheBattleFever
16-11-2010, 12:31
Ach, it was only the Wehrmacht, it could have been worse, it could have been the Waffen SS :D

Agathon
16-11-2010, 12:39
Ach, it was only the Wehrmacht, it could have been worse, it could have been the Waffen SS :D

the waffen ss were the elite units like the fallschirmjäger, they tended to fight to the end though some units like the 12th ss were guilty of some war crimes, the right bastards were organisation todt, the allgemeine ss and the eastern europeans in german service

now what i would like to know, why did it take the press 1 day to hammer airdrie but took several days to hammer the taigs

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 11:55
I know this is a very very old thread but thought everyone may be interested to hear the follow up from this. It's taken this long to get everything resolved!
Sorry for the following loooong post but here goes:

After I made the original post with the attached photo I got a text from cookiemonster the following morning to say my photo was on the front page of the Sun :eek:
So, I decided to give the paper a call and I spoke to the "journalist" who "wrote" the story. He comes on the phone and asks 'can I help you?'
I then said, yes, you can start by explaining what my photograph is doing on the front page of the paper attached to his article without my permission. :D
He then went on to say that he couldn't be sure where the story and photographed originated because it was on so many football forums before he picked up on it, but if they could ascertain the owner of the photo the Sun's policy is to pay for its use. So I said to him that I knew exactly where the photo came from, a post I made on Follow Follow because he had even used quotes from replies made to my post and I had a copy of the original photo on my phone which I could prove was mine once the pictures metadata was checked as it showed the time, date, location and device used to take the picture!
He then stammered and stuttered and said that if I gave him my details he'd arranged payment.
Eventually they came across with a payment of £200 :)
The same night I spoke to the Sun I noticed the Daily Record had used it in their online edition too so I got onto them and told them they had used my picture without permission and I wanted compensated and mentioned that the Sun had already paid so when they heard that they agreed to pay too, although they only paid £85 :(
The guy at the Record I spoke to was brand new though and advised me to go online and google the story and see who else picked up on it and contact them all demanding compensation. I took his advice and the following was the outcome:
The Sun £200
Daily Record £85
Daily Mail £80
Daily Mirror £80
STV £25
Yahoo Eurosport £50
The Metro £100
Herald Sun (Australia) £168
Sydney morning Herald £50

All in all I brought in £838 (a substantial part of which went to Erskine as a donation, the rest went on my boy's Christmas!) for the sake of a couple of emails, so next time any of you see your copywrited property used by the media without permission get complaining! :)

zxxxxxxxc
18-05-2011, 11:58
Tremendous result - well played! Those journos will be getting a decent salary for nabbing peoples stories from forums, so well done you for getting a piece of the action.

garyw09
18-05-2011, 11:58
Nice one mate :D

craigyknows
18-05-2011, 11:59
Get in! The media are constantly stealing stories and photos from here.

ando1873
18-05-2011, 12:02
Haha that's brilliant, fair play to you mate

Draag
18-05-2011, 12:02
Brilliant result. Well spotted in the first place.

dublinbear
18-05-2011, 12:03
Fkn hell, i'm going to post a picture a day on here....:D

CooperGaz
18-05-2011, 12:04
I know this is a very very old thread but thought everyone may be interested to hear the follow up from this. It's taken this long to get everything resolved!

After I made the original post with the attached photo I got a text from cookiemonster the following morning to say my photo was on the front page of the Sun :eek:
So, I decided to give the paper a call and I spoke to the "journalist" who "wrote" the story. He comes on the phone and asks 'can I help you?'
I then said, yes, you can start by explaining what my photograph is doing on the front page of the paper attached to his article without my permission. :D
He then went on to say that he couldn't be sure where the story and photographed originated because it was on so many football forums before he picked up on it, but if they could ascertain the owner of the photo the Sun's policy is to pay for its use. So I said to him that I knew exactly where the photo came from, a post I made on Follow Follow because he had even used quotes from replies made to my post and I had a copy of the original photo on my phone which I could prove was mine once the pictures metadata was checked as it showed the time, date, location and device used to take the picture!
He then stammered and stuttered and said that if I gave him my details he'd arranged payment.
The same night I spoke to the Sun I noticed the Daily Record had used it in their online edition too so I got onto them and told them they had used my picture without permission and I wanted compensated and mentioned that the Sun had already paid so when they heard that they agreed to pay too, although they only paid £85 :(
The guy at the Record I spoke to was brand new though and advised me to go online and google the story and see who else picked up on it and contact them all demanding compensation. I took his advice and the following was the outcome:
The Sun £200
Daily Record £85
Daily Mail £80
Daily Mirror £80
STV £25
Yahoo Eurosport £50
The Metro £100

All in all I brought in £838 (a substantial part of which went to Erskine as a donation, the rest went on my boy's Christmas!) for the sake of a couple of emails, so next time any of you see your copywrited property used by the media without permission get complaining! :)

Am I correct in thinking that you took a photo using a camera/camera phone and you received £838 after posting it on FF? Brilliant lol :D

Ashbourne Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:04
On yersel A:). Big bun gave me a copy of the programme when i was last over

Royal Burgh Fanatic
18-05-2011, 12:05
Willie Vass must earn a fortune!

gardi
18-05-2011, 12:06
Wowzers, thats brilliant :)

BrianSmp
18-05-2011, 12:10
That's brilliant haha.

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:14
Am I correct in thinking that you took a photo using a camera/camera phone and you received £838 after posting it on FF? Brilliant lol :D

You are indeed correct mate! :D I can now list professional Photographer to my CV :D

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:15
On yersel A:). Big bun gave me a copy of the programme when i was last over

Good stuff mate, glad you got a copy although I imagine your brother wouldn't have been all too impressed!
The ironic thing is, I don't even own a copy of the program! The picture I took was of Bun's copy and I gave him it back! :D

Ashbourne Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:16
You are indeed correct mate! :D I can now list professional Photographer to my CV :D

F**kin chancer more like>:)

RSEA2009
18-05-2011, 12:18
brilliant

. .

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:18
F**kin chancer more like>:)

Ask yer Mrs........:ninja: :D

By the way, DVD's are in the post mate, one for you and one for the boozer. Hopefully you'll get them in a couple of days. ;)

Conor23
18-05-2011, 12:20
result......

Ashbourne Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:20
Good stuff mate, glad you got a copy although I imagine your brother wouldn't have been all too impressed!
The ironic thing is, I don't even own a copy of the program! The picture I took was of Bun's copy and I gave him it back! :D

Do you want it as a wee keepsake mate? I`ll bring it over when i`m over in June if you want. Thanks for the DVDs mate. Top man

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:26
Do you want it as a wee keepsake mate? I`ll bring it over when i`m over in June if you want. Thanks for the DVDs mate. Top man

I thought you got it to give to your brother? You keep a hold of it mate, i've got the photo on my phone as a keepsake!

Ashbourne Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:28
I thought you got it to give to your brother? You keep a hold of it mate, i've got the photo on my phone as a keepsake!

Never gave him it. Think he was a tad pissed off about the pelters i was giving him:D

smithie
18-05-2011, 12:29
Bloody well done :) Great to see these chancers being beaten at their own game!

Walkers Loyal
18-05-2011, 12:31
Never gave him it. Think he was a tad pissed off about the pelters i was giving him:D

Funny that......:D
Mind you, I got the impression he wasn't overly impressed with me at the Coatbridge Orange Hall Erskine Day when he heard it was me that posted the picture online! :D

Loyal_Si
18-05-2011, 12:38
Great result :)

BazzaF6
18-05-2011, 12:43
Brilliant result mate!! Well done.

cookiemonster
18-05-2011, 21:09

The Sun £200
Daily Record £85
Daily Mail £80
Daily Mirror £80
STV £25
Yahoo Eurosport £50
The Metro £100

Yes Nash and i were there when you put in that substantial amount,£3 68 it was i think? :D:D Well done mate :)

stuart1972
18-05-2011, 21:13
Brilliant!! :D