PDA

View Full Version : mind when it used to be about football?

Laudrup1
09-11-2010, 16:37
I think the game might actually be lost to us in many ways. We (me included) spend more time on here discussing stuff other than the football itself.

Player contracts and whether we should punt them before bosman kicks in / whether we should cash in on someone generally
The debt.
Bain's salary.
Lloyds Banking Group.
The share price.
MIH
Who owns the pie stalls
The latest media outlet "out to get us" / Radio Clyde / The BBCetc
Any journo with an axe to grind about us
Whether we're allowed to sing this or that song

I realise many of these things are important in their own right to an extent but it gets tedious when it completely detracts from talking about football do you not agree? There's very little debate (in comparison) on actual footballing matters IMO.

I guess alot of it isn't down to us but others having a go at The Club / Our Traditions and the subsequent need to defend that side of things. Or the likes of Murray making such a cod of things that that requires talk on it.

As I type there at 13 or so threads on the first page all in relation to poppies / the "bloostained" banner.

Now, I'm very proud of our association with poppy appeals and the likes (Erskine etc) but FFS it's dominating a football forum.

Before anyone suggests it, aye, I will be posting some threads about the football itself when I can.

I just thought it might be a topic worth discussing how we've come to be so far removed from the football itself.

Bristol_bnose
09-11-2010, 16:43
I totally agree for what its worth. Pig sick of hearing about those b@stards and what they get up to, let alone having to discuss it in microscopic detail.

If i'm honest it is the internet itself that allows this to happen. It was never as bad as this when you just talked about football in the pub with your pals.

Steven_Gers
09-11-2010, 16:43
I understand what your saying, Its just something that is of happening in the footballing world at this time.

jimmyhm
09-11-2010, 16:46
It was never just about the football. The sport was not behind the reasons they were formed.

Laudrup1
09-11-2010, 16:53
It was never just about the football. The sport was not behind the reasons they were formed.

But I'm not talking about them.

I'm talking about us and what we've become - partly because of others (and I use 'others' broadly in a Celtic / Their Fans / Radio Clyde / BBC / Graham Spiers (the discredited journalist) / Anyone else who doesn't like us way in some way) antics I'll agree.

I know there a "more than a club" connotations to us. I don't agree with it all or care for some of it too much but I accept it all as part of what we are.

Still, for all that, we're football fans and it's got to the stage where I'm sick fed up hearing about poppies. I shouldn't be feeling like that because I'm a fan of Rangers.

Bristol Bnose mentioning the internet being responsible probably does have a large bearing on things.

For example, we didn't use to have to sit and watch highlights of a game with any more thoughts in our head of "what a goal that was" or "how did he miss that?"

Now we're sitting looking at highlights of games questioning why certain incidents weren't included in the package.

It's totally detracting from my enjoyment of the game in general.

semperparatus72
09-11-2010, 16:57
They started all this offended pish helped by Liewells Lapdogs in the media. Its never about the football in any phone in shows now, its either the refs the sfa this song or that song blah blah blah. Celtc have well and trully burst the ball up here when it comes to the whole football day out experience.

super_thornlie
09-11-2010, 16:59
It's been a chore coming on here for the most part in recent times. Front page littered with threads about the taigs, media or some other campaign.

jimmyhm
09-11-2010, 17:03
But I'm not talking about them.

I'm talking about us and what we've become - partly because of others (and I use 'others' broadly in a Celtic / Their Fans / Radio Clyde / BBC / Graham Spiers (the discredited journalist) (the discredited journalist) / Anyone else who doesn't like us way in some way) antics I'll agree.

I know there a "more than a club" connotations to us. I don't agree with it all or care for some of it too much but I accept it all as part of what we are.

Still, for all that, we're football fans and it's got to the stage where I'm sick fed up hearing about poppies. I shouldn't be feeling like that because I'm a fan of Rangers.

Bristol Bnose mentioning the internet being responsible probably does have a large bearing on things.

For example, we didn't use to have to sit and watch highlights of a game with any more thoughts in our head of "what a goal that was" or "how did he miss that?"

Now we're sitting looking at highlights of games questioning why certain incidents weren't included in the package.

It's totally detracting from my enjoyment of the game in general.

I was using their formation as an illustration only.

IanDurrant10
09-11-2010, 17:04
You would actually forget this was a Rangers forum the amount they have dominated the last few days, I actually think folk just love to be offended on here and thats why this topic dominates our pages (Not that it shouldn't be discussed, but quite this much?). Quite why it can't go in one big thread I am not sure.

Especially baffling considering we have a massive league game tomorrow :(

But to the O.P and the point he makes -

It is entirely spot on, we've barely been able to celebrate our successes these last few years due to negative headlines

Have we lost the game, no, but has it changed into so much more than a game, Yes absolutely.

Red_White_and_Ajax
09-11-2010, 17:04
no .

has it ever been just about the football ?

oranje-viola
09-11-2010, 17:08
no .

This Poppy carry-on is a step too far though. I'm more sickened than angry at the filth over this to be honest.

Laudrup1
09-11-2010, 17:10
I was using their formation as an illustration only.

Fair doos.

no .

Aye, I think it was. Certainly more so than it was now for sure.

We've always had traditions (that may seperate us from being 'just another club') but you can't watch a game now without hearing someone moan at a commentator (justified or not - sometimes it is) or questioning someone's motives during a broadcast conversation on a game of ours (listening to BBC Scotland and Forsyth / Gordon for example).

Are we just involved in a war with a bunch of people who won't let 'it' lie and it'll never end?

evy_rfc
09-11-2010, 17:11
I totally agree with you mate. In my opinion all those c.unts should be hung for treason, but this is a football forum and furthermore a RANGERS forum. I dont want to come on here reading page after page about that fenian mess across the city. I dont want to read page after page about refereeing decisions and I certainly dont want to read page after page about Neil f.u.cking Lennon.

Maybe admin could bring in a new forum where only the football does the talking and leave the usual dross to people that feel like bitching all day and reading about the taigs?

Red_White_and_Ajax
09-11-2010, 17:14
Aye, I think it was. Certainly more so than it was now for sure.

We've always had traditions (that may seperate us from being 'just another club') but you can't watch a game now without hearing someone moan at a commentator (justified or not - sometimes it is) or questioning someone's motives during a broadcast conversation on a game of ours (listening to BBC Scotland and Forsyth / Gordon for example).

Are we just involved in a war with a bunch of people who won't let 'it' lie and it'll never end?

back when it was about the football we had maybe 6 live games a year , live game on the radio on a saturday and a football phone in that was controlled and used to talk about football

it`ll never go back to that , everything is dissected in slow motion and from a thousand angles

football in its current guise will only get worse and as the money factors start to kick in with more clubs and the standard continues to drop , you can expect much more of this

Laudrup1
09-11-2010, 22:00
Especially baffling considering we have a massive league game tomorrow :(

But to the O.P and the point he makes -

It is entirely spot on, we've barely been able to celebrate our successes these last few years due to negative headlines

Have we lost the game, no, but has it changed into so much more than a game, Yes absolutely.

Yeah, that's a few points that elude to what I mean. There's been hardly any chat on tomorrows game at all.

The lack of outright joy we've taken from the league wins has maybe been due to the worry of debt ("our" own doing rather than outside influences)

It's just changed alot and I don't think it's for the better. As RWA says, the explosion in coverage has alot to answer for.

thommo2006
09-11-2010, 22:05
It seems footballers shagging around is more newsworthy than them actually doing their job.

deedle
09-11-2010, 22:18
The anti-poppy banner carry-on managed to shift the deluge of 'refereeing conspiracy' stories off the back pages for a couple of days.

Yet, we're now into the fourth week of the latter. Lennon stirred things up again today.

This isn't because of the internet. Celtic FC and its cheerleaders in the media have been running a campaign. They don't want it to stop.

Obviously, the financial side is separate (and it's a mega issue in modern football), but irresponsible and deceitful politicians decided to exploit 'sectarianism' for their own cynical ends - the refereeing business is an off-shoot of this - and tread ground that their wiser and more principled predecessors thought best to leave well alone.

Rangers are embroiled in a 'cultural war'. It isn't something the club or the support wanted - it has been foisted on us.

Not so many years ago, sportswriters wouldn't have touched the issues I've mentioned. Now it has arguably put the football itself into second place. The way referees have been targeted with only a tiny handful of journalists realising the dangers means that the game has been dragged into the gutter.

I don't think there's any going back now. Any decision that goes against Celtic (or for Rangers) now will be scrutinised as never before - and there has been a hell of a lot of scrutiny in recent years.

What you might call the 'Baird's Bar agenda' of a couple of decades ago - we want to sing IRA songs, we want to get these b*****ds locked up for singing theirs, we want to see them charged by UEFA, we want a witch-hunt of referees, we want to tell them to stuff their poppies, etc. - is now mainstream.

Just ask Graham Spiers.

The Peoples Piper
07-02-2012, 12:16
Best post I've read on here in a while, I thought I'd dig it out again as it seems apt more than ever.

The days when we talked football, alas are they lost forever?