PDA

View Full Version : The Outstanding Naismith

Laudrup70
02-11-2010, 22:14
Disappointed with the result but no complaints at all, just how good is this guy Naismith?

Must admit I'm on a large dose of humble, my dad told me from day one he was a cracker.

Wonder how much he will be worth after a couple of seasons like that, folk must have been paying attention.

lebooboo
02-11-2010, 22:16
Naisy is a top notch player.

Looks the part in that company tonight, and every other company he's coming up against for Rangers and Scotland.

Top drawer.

Earl of Leven
02-11-2010, 22:17
Is there a case for giving him lone striker role and moving Whittaker into midfield?

Miller hasn't scored in last 14 CL games for tims and us....and has struggled to make any impact.

Naisy is a rare gem.....

De_Bigwan
02-11-2010, 22:18
Still to see the best of him. He is genuinely our most attacking threat and I'm delighted with his form this season!

davidab157
02-11-2010, 22:19
I think we may have a fight on our hands in Jan.

This lad will be catching the eye based on his CL performances.

bobans27
02-11-2010, 22:19
Almost the first name on the team sheet for club and country just now.

Really hope he keeps it because if he does he will be a massive player for us.

Laudrup70
02-11-2010, 22:20
Is there a case for giving him lone striker role and moving Whittaker into midfield?

Miller hasn't scored in last 14 CL games for tims and us....and has struggled to make any impact.

Naisy is a rare gem.....

Touche .

OnlyOneAmoruso
02-11-2010, 22:20

Naisy is a rare gem.....

Whittaker is terrible in midfield and he absolutely can defend despite your continual barrage of propaganda saying otherwise.

Vidmar
02-11-2010, 22:21
A couple of slack moments defensively tonight, but otherwise excellent.

Could easily have scored two and set up one.

superger
He was very unlucky tonight. If his early shot off the post had went in we might have been able to build on that. He certainly didn't lack confidence either at this level which is a huge positive.

buster
Disappointed with the result but no complaints at all, just how good is this guy Naismith?

Must admit I'm on a large dose of humble, my dad told me from day one he was a cracker.

Wonder how much he will be worth after a couple of seasons like that, folk must have been paying attention.

In a couple of seasons he´d probably be out of contract and go on a free.

We´ll have to be careful that doesn´t happen.

Thing is we won´t be able to match wage offers he´ll get elsewhere so it wouldn´t surprise me if he moves next summer.

nb89
02-11-2010, 22:22
He played well tonight. Was unlucky hitting the post twice. Such a different player from last season.

LJ50
02-11-2010, 22:22
I confess I would prefer he was playing somewhere other than on the left, but yet again tonight he was our danger man.

Ferocious work-rate and tenacity. Great in the air and becoming increasing aware of what's going on around him.

If he keeps fit and keeps progressing as he has done when fit then he's going to be a major star.

Loves To Spooge
02-11-2010, 22:23
had a couple of brilliant runs.

hes a cracking player

canalbear
The guy has done hee-haw for near 3 years.

He owes us!

I agree though............neat as they come !

Earl of Leven
Whittaker is terrible in midfield and he absolutely can defend despite your continual barrage of propaganda saying otherwise.

The escuse tonight appears to be "well it was Mata and he's pure class" but I guess it had to be something.

The point was Naismith being a diamond....is there a call to play him up front? We have no presence at the moment.....and he has shon all season.

Baxter79

Looks the part in that company tonight, and every other company he's coming up against for Rangers and Scotland.

Top drawer.

Possibly says it all, still young got a dig into his game now, and always looking to be positive. I'm getting excited!

OnlyOneAmoruso
02-11-2010, 22:25
The escuse tonight appears to be "well it was Mata and he's pure class" but I guess it had to be something.

The point was Naismith being a diamond....is there a call to play him up front? We have no presence at the moment.....and he has shon all season.

Much like Whittaker in midfield, I think if you put Naismith up there as the focal point he will lose the surprise in his game.

Playing as the focal point, he will have two men on him at all times. Playing deep he can lose his man and support as he has been doing to great effect this season.

Both players are playing in the positions I would have them in (perhaps Naismith at the point of a diamond but that's not going to happen)

devilman
02-11-2010, 22:25
Naismith has been brilliant all season and still didn't disappoint tonight despite several other members of the team being a let down.

Naismith looked a constant threat and his running off the ball was superb. He was very unlucky not to get two goals tonight but as I said, the rest of the team were either not capable or just didn't turn up.

Naismith and McGregor were excellent tonight. Whittaker had a decent game going forward and didn't let too much by. The things he did didn't amount to much.

Didn't feel a little sorry for Naismith tonight. He done his all, tracking back, attacking well and just didn't have a team trying hard enough around him. His managed also didn't help but not spotting the obvious problems sooner and trying to do something about. Unlucky wee man but keep these performances up.

Laudrup70
02-11-2010, 22:26
I confess I would prefer he was playing somewhere other than on the left, but yet again tonight he was our danger man.

Ferocious work-rate and tenacity. Great in the air and becoming increasing aware of what's going on around him.

If he keeps fit and keeps progressing as he has done when fit then he's going to be a major star.

good post, I agree with those sentiments....btw nice choice of words.

Earl of Leven
Naisy was superb against Seville last season....the only time in six games anyone really 'led the line' in fact. He won headers, trapped ball, opened play when he could....

Blackwithredtops
Best player in the SPL at the moment.

Touch, movement, pace, tenacity and an eye for goal.

MDC
02-11-2010, 22:27
One of the problems in moving him is that you take him away from a role where he has performed best in a Rangers jersey.

That and, for all the good play and before we get carried away here, he too has missed good chances in this season's competition.

lebooboo

He's already a major star.

That boy is first on the teamsheet with McGregor, Boogy, and Davies, these days.

He doesn't even resemble the guy who has had such a hard time trying to find good form in the past.

canalbear
Best player in the SPL at the moment.

Touch, movement, pace, tenacity and an eye for goal.

Only because Scott Brown is injured.

Laudrup70
02-11-2010, 22:28
Much like Whittaker in midfield, I think if you put Naismith up there as the focal point he will lose the surprise in his game.

Playing as the focal point, he will have two men on him at all times. Playing deep he can lose his man and support as he has been doing to great effect this season.

Both players are playing in the positions I would have them in (perhaps Naismith at the point of a diamond but that's not going to happen)

I think thats an excellent point Ammo.

modfella
02-11-2010, 22:29
Brilliant again and a special mention to Greggs I think these two players will be high on the radar of teams after these displays, we were given a bit of a lesson tonight but I feel we may have a few surprises for Utd in the next game, it ain't over till the fat lady sings so they say!

lebooboo
One of the problems in moving him is that you take him away from a role where he has performed best in a Rangers jersey.

That and, for all the good play and before we get carried away here, he too has missed good chances in this season's competition.

He also scored a cracker, and has been sh at on by lady luck on more occasions than one.

Idioteque

Naisy is a rare gem.....

thought he was superb vs Sevilla in the first half at Ibrox last season when he played up front himself

Also has a great leap and can win headers against anyone

bluegorbals
Guy in my work is a Killie fan and he says its no surprise at Naismiths form.

He points to the fact that this is the first season he has started without injury.

WATP85
02-11-2010, 22:31
Naisy was superb against Seville last season....the only time in six games anyone really 'led the line' in fact. He won headers, trapped ball, opened play when he could....

Not to mention the penalty we should have been awarded at 0-0 when he was fouled :mad:

Naisy has really proven how vital an injury free pre season is to a player.

Keep it up son ;)

Laudrup70
02-11-2010, 22:31
Guy in my work is a Killie fan and he says its no surprise at Naismiths form.

He points to the fact that this is the first season he has started without injury.

Exactly what my dad said mate.....

MDC
02-11-2010, 22:34
He also scored a cracker, and has been sh at on by lady luck on more occasions than one.

Luck isn't something that good teams suffer from, or good players.

But the most important consideration is the former in my OP. He is so good at the moment in the role he occupies and, at least in the SPL, his presence there has helped those in other positions, including the one he would replace.

I echo the sentiments elsewhere about the good run through pre-season and beyond free from injury: just shows how this can help a player.

strider
For those taling about moving Naismith up front - you're using 45 minutes of evidence against a run all season where he's been brilliant in the wider midfield role.

He's stated himself that the continuity of selection has been a big factor in his form - I'd rather he stayed where he is.

brotybear
As well as Naisy being an excellent player for us this season, I have been very impressed by his handling of the media in post match comments. He is very articulate and balanced in his comments and won't be drawn into making silly comments when leading question are put to him.

A Real Ranger!

scandinavienbear
02-11-2010, 22:35
Finally found his touch and foremost confidence,one of Rangers most important players at the mo.

bobgers008
02-11-2010, 22:36
He was very unlucky tonight. If his early shot off the post had went in we might have been able to build on that. He certainly didn't lack confidence either at this level which is a huge positive. shite home game missed sitters s hawkins would have scored:mad::mad::mad:

bluegorbals
For those taling about moving Naismith up front - you're using 45 minutes of evidence against a run all season where he's been brilliant in the wider midfield role.

He's stated himself that the continuity of selection has been a big factor in his form - I'd rather he stayed where he is.

If its not broke dont fix it. I dont understand it either, why when a Gers player hits a good bit of form do people start saying he should play in another position?

Laudrup70

Indeed...............................It's like when a composer writes a song then lets the rest of the band members hear it, the first thing they want to do is change it! :D

Earl of Leven
02-11-2010, 22:38
RE 'changing it'....he has a great first touch, confidence, an eye for goal and we have no-one else obvious to be focal point for attacks. It's not that absurd.

burnleybank8463
02-11-2010, 22:39
Naismith, in my opinion, was always a technically proficient player. (I recall him showing great ability at Kilmarnock for instance.)

Now, added to that, he has achieved a good level of strength and conditioning also, which has helped him recover from some nasty injuries in my view. It is important for him to maintain that.

His mental approach to games is also very good. (He also demonstrated -- and perhaps even fostered -- strength of character to come through a problematic phase of injury.)

Overall, a very good player.

ranger1873
02-11-2010, 22:39
I said in another thread that Naismith has it in him to be the best Scottish player since Dalglish. His performances will certainly have got him noticed at a higher level and I am struggling to think of a Scottish born player who has made a greater impact in the CL than he has.

strider
02-11-2010, 22:41
RE 'changing it'....he has a great first touch, confidence, an eye for goal and we have no-one else obvious to be focal point for attacks. It's not that absurd.

I wasn't calling it absurd outright (I posted on here a couple of seasons ago about Naismith playing that role to a bit of ridicule), but the fact is he's playing far better than just about anyone could have predicted in a role that suits his movement, touch and vision.

I'd leave well alone. We'd be harming one area of the pitch in an attempt to fix another.

doublewhopper
02-11-2010, 22:41
I think we may have a fight on our hands in Jan.

This lad will be catching the eye based on his CL performances.

I fear you may be right.

DerekTheElephant
02-11-2010, 22:44
Is very comfortable at the highest level. Along with Alan Hutton, the only current Scottish players that are I'm afraid.

stuart1972
02-11-2010, 22:47
Superb again tonight, one small issue was the header...imo he should be scoring from there

Briggsybear_jr.
02-11-2010, 22:47
Outstanding all season, but should have scored at least twice over the two games against Valencia. That header tonight, should have scored. Unlucky with the one that hit the post in the first half.

Been my MOTM in almost 90% of games this season. Keep it up Naisy :)

lebooboo
02-11-2010, 22:50
shite home game missed sitters s hawkins would have scored:mad::mad::mad:

Tell the nurse to give your balls a scrub. They're humming.

Phantom Jack
02-11-2010, 22:51
He has really surprised me this season.

Fantastic player and will be an important asset in us retaining the title.

JohnDarwinsCanoe
02-11-2010, 22:53
Wenger wouldn't have invited him to train with them a few years back if he didn't have something special about him.

He's been excellent this season and long may it continue. Maybe needs to work on his finishing a little bit though.

BB72
02-11-2010, 22:59
Fantastic player , player of the year on current form!?

forthblueboy
02-11-2010, 23:02
naisy played well again tonight he was just unlucky with hitting the post twice !

BlueByNature
02-11-2010, 23:02
Wonder if Arsenal will come have a look at him again, reckon it'd be pretty tough to turn that opportunity down if I was him

paulah
02-11-2010, 23:04
Fantastic player , player of the year on current form!?He's won that right now,cant see anyone beating him.

dh1963
02-11-2010, 23:06
I was one who was delighted when he signed, but over the last 3 years had started to doubt myself.

Finally showing what he can do, and doing it against top teams.

He's one of us as well, can only hope we have the money to extend his contract sometime soon.

Judee Levinson
02-11-2010, 23:07
I love him:o:) he put in a superb shift tonight and was really unlucky with his 2 efforts denied by the posts. he reminds me of my wee yorkie Coop:roll: cos hes a determined wee bassa and never gives up. what he lacks in stature he makes up with in his efforts. Superb start to the season and lets hope he stays injury free and maintains this form throughout the season.:):):)

KBoyd1690

Naisy is a rare gem.....

Or how about playing Weiss wide left and keeping Whittaker where he is?

wilsonfatboy
Doing great. What sort of price tag would you put on him.

ayrbearbunch
02-11-2010, 23:09
The guy has done hee-haw for near 3 years.

He owes us!

I agree though............neat as they come !

Hardly his fault mate! Blame that c*nt Hardie.

If only e had more like him.

flood
02-11-2010, 23:20
Always thought his best position at Killie was left mid with an attacking option. Said so on here before.

Seems to be finding his injury free form and looks the part. Worth the £2m fee now?

wc06
02-11-2010, 23:22
Humble pie well and truly eaten for me,as i've posted many times re Naisy before.He deserves all the plaudits coming his way this season,and should be a mainstay of our team for a while yet.Genuinely pleased for the boy.

lebooboo
02-11-2010, 23:24
Wonder if Arsenal will come have a look at him again, reckon it'd be pretty tough to turn that opportunity down if I was him

Maybe he wants to play for Rangers, and Arsenal can take a fu ck to theselves.

scotto
02-11-2010, 23:25

Same here mate....my dad said at the time of signing Boyd that we were signing the wrong player and that we should be going for Naismith instead.

sigmund_freud
02-11-2010, 23:50
I said in another thread that Naismith has it in him to be the best Scottish player since Dalglish. His performances will certainly have got him noticed at a higher level and I am struggling to think of a Scottish born player who has made a greater impact in the CL than he has.

BF.

different class at the time, far better than yaysmith, who is turning out to be a star in our team. his injuries must have stopped his development and we're seeing the benefits now. he plays with his head up now and doesn't tend to turn into players the way he used to.

the other fact often forgotten was that yaysmith told the ratchatchers to bolt when that fud of a chairman was trying to punt him when we were interested. he basically took himself off the transfer list when they accepted a deal from them. he came out and said he wanted to stay after initially saying he wanted to leave killie to sign for us.

Calvers72
03-11-2010, 00:59
So unlucky tonight with his goal attempts but on the positive side i am sure that wee Naisy will be in the running for POY if he keeps up this form. He's like a kid playing fitba in the park just now and just enjoying being out there. Good on him the rest will follow!

govanbluenose
03-11-2010, 02:34

Top drawer.

He looked very good. He could have slotted quite well into that Valencia team and started playing for them the morra. There will be inquiries about him. In his post-match statement he came off as a genuine guy, modest,and ready to take on Man U....he is our best Scottish player in a long time.

RangersRus
03-11-2010, 02:55

Alan Hutton.

london_bluenose
03-11-2010, 04:26
Alan Hutton.

I think Naisy is better.

His game suits the style of the major European leagues and as one poster has already said, his performance v Sevilla at Ibrox was superb.

This is a player we have on our hands here.

iaatpies
03-11-2010, 06:11
I wouldnt play Naismith as an out and out striker. He seems to be at his best when he can work around the edge of the box or he can make a late run and lose his marker. He wouldnt be able to make those late runs into the box if he was playing further forward. For me he needs to be playing behind a striker.

He's the form player in our side right now. Davis may be equally gifted and Bougherra is still an attractive option but Naismith, in my opinion, is probably our biggest asset right now.

britain
03-11-2010, 06:33
He's doing the business and looking a crackng player.

Sportacus
03-11-2010, 06:41
I'll take a slice of that humble pie also, sorry Naisy !:D

Cuddles
03-11-2010, 06:56

Naisy is a rare gem.....

I'm game. Miller is sadly out of his depth at CL level. Naisy looks like he was born for this stage.

Problem is who would play wide left if not our best striker? :angel:

Doesn't that sentence just sum up the Rangers of today?

hurleyreyes
03-11-2010, 06:59
Reports were that it was a five year contract when he signed in 2007, unless he signed an extension?

Which means this summer it is new contract or he will need to be sold.:(

Tagsbear
03-11-2010, 07:22

His whole game this season has been based on late ghosting runs into the box, and working ridiculously hard for the team, we would lose a big big percentage of that if he was played as a focal point.

Its not absurd, because he could play there, but why change it when he is doing so well?

Tagsbear
03-11-2010, 07:23
I'm game. Miller is sadly out of his depth at CL level. Naisy looks like he was born for this stage.

Problem is who would play wide left if not our best striker? :angel:

Doesn't that sentence just sum up the Rangers of today?

Not seen much of you in the bear pit timps, must be something about defeat that brings the best out in you;)

James Curran Baxter
03-11-2010, 07:25
He was our best player by a mile, once again. Long may it continue.

kaical
03-11-2010, 07:42

Aye,play nice fancy fitba,and win f uck all.

smudg3r1
03-11-2010, 07:54
Absolutely love the way the boy is playing just now, not just his energy but his haranging (spelling police) of the opposition, he must be murder to play against at the moment

Exiled_Bluenose
03-11-2010, 08:12
Terrific performance from Naisy, felt sorry for him last night.

Easily our POTY so far.

Cuddles
03-11-2010, 08:38
Aye,play nice fancy fitba,and win f uck all.

But earn £40k a week, plus a win bonus 3 weeks out of 4.

What would you do?

scottishcampbell
03-11-2010, 08:53
What have Man City valued Weiss at as Naisy has been streets ahead of him this season....

adamski
03-11-2010, 08:54
Is there a case for giving him lone striker role

The first half v Sevilla last season should have cemented it for him. After all, it's more than Miller has ever achieved for us in the role

BoclairBear
03-11-2010, 09:01
The famous FF author who christened him the "Ayrshire Messi " was spot on. Great wee player with a fantastic work ethic,very unlucky last night with his efforts. There is such a fine line at the highest level. His turn on a sixpence leading to his shot off the post was worthy of a goal.
Also very articulate in his post match interview.

bluebaz
03-11-2010, 09:34
I'm another one who owes Naisy a big apology.

Since coming back from his initial lengthy injury absence I repeatedly slated him on here for not being Rangers-class. I didn't dislike the boy, I just didn't think he would ever be good enough for us.

I have never been so happy to be proved wrong in all my life.

Well done Naisy, you were outstanding again last night. Sorry for doubting you in the past.

aardvark
03-11-2010, 12:38

I think one could present a case for Paul Lambert. >:)

interbear
03-11-2010, 13:41
I'm delighted Naismith is now playing to his potential.

Something appears to have clicked with him now - I'm sure it's a matter of confidence more than anything else. In seasons past it's almost as if the pressure of playing for Rangers was too much for him, it looked like he felt out of place and he'd generally defer to the more senior players. In short he played like a starstruck kid playing for his boyhood favourites.

Now, he looks like he knows he's good enough, knows that he is worthy of his place in the Rangers team, making things happen, working hard, never hiding. Add that on to his undoubted talent and we have a cracking player on our hands. Great stuff, hope he keeps it up.

viperscott
03-11-2010, 13:46
allways said he was a cracking player we won a watch there.

Laudrup70
07-05-2011, 14:31
This guy is fecking awesome..................What a player we signed there :)

JellaFella
07-05-2011, 14:34
I am happy for him. He has performed in patches the last few seasons. Had his moments, but was always held back by injury, or the way he was used.

He has had a settled season and now looks like being one of Smits better signings. He could play for us for years now.

He will be buzzing inside knowing he has been a key player for us this season.

People like Fleck should be looking at him and realising that there is always a way back if you work hard.

ArnoldRimmer
07-05-2011, 14:35
He was brilliant - bar that last shot at the end :D

fbear
07-05-2011, 14:35
I love him. Simple as that.

Laudrup70
07-05-2011, 14:37
I am happy for him. He has performed in patches the last few seasons. Had his moments, but was always held back by injury, or the way he was used.

He has had a settled season and now looks like being one of Smits better signings. He could play for us for years now.

He will be buzzing inside knowing he has been a key player for us this season.

People like Fleck should be looking at him and realising that there is always a way back if you work hard.

Good post mate, you know what?

I think the same could happen to Lafferty.

Blues_and_Twos
07-05-2011, 14:38
My favourite Rangers player right now.

JellaFella
07-05-2011, 14:39
Good post mate, you know what?

I think the same could happen to Lafferty.

I hope so man. I have always had time for Kyle, most Bears that watch him have a desperation for him to succeed, as they did with Naisy. They play like we would play if we had their ability.

Just like what was said on this weeks Heart and Hand. Need to find a way to convince Kyle that the full season in the run in and he would be fine, big sod seems daft enough that he would believe it. :D

sharksandwich
07-05-2011, 14:39
if we tried to buy wee naisy now we couldnt afford him ( well maybe yesterday we couldnt) watp

truebluerfc
07-05-2011, 14:41
He should be our captain next season

JellaFella
07-05-2011, 14:44

He has the passion and the heart for it. But he probably showed today why he shouldn’t get it.

I love that he will argue every decision, but it gets him noticed.

If he was wearing the arm band he would be walking out with a target on him. Best to try and keep him out of the spotlight.

Wouldn’t want him to lose the nasty streak, think you would lose a bit of the player.

ScoGovLoyal
07-05-2011, 14:48
Just meeting my wife after the game. How do I tell her I now love Naismith more?

RangersSunderland
07-05-2011, 14:49

Davie Weir's only 67 year old ffs. It'll be another 4 years until he let's go off that armband. :)

hemelbear
07-05-2011, 14:54
delighted for him i didnt like it when some where on his back as i didnt feel it was justified with the injurys and time out he had that hampered his games and runs.
i always had faith in him he wasnt the national teams under 21 captain for nothing also winning under 21 poty 2 years running and he is now showing what i always thought he had

cupfinalmoustache
07-05-2011, 14:58
He's not only gotten over being star-struck, he's giving the other players a boot up the arse. My vote for captain if sir davie ever retires

wother
07-05-2011, 15:32
Great great wee player, who is only going to get better.
Looks like big Kyle might be growing into the jersey as well.
Wee Steven Davis for Captain though :)

bearfaecumbernauld
07-05-2011, 15:38
Excellent again today. I thought he was man of the match today.

Keep it up Naisy.

gordyboy
07-05-2011, 15:38
I must admit I think Naisy is still running around the Ibrox pitch even now as he never knows when the game is finished!!

RangersNumberFour
07-05-2011, 15:54
As someone posted from KDS last week

He plays like we are getting beat 1 nil!

Great attitude!!

gordyboy
07-05-2011, 15:58
The attitude from the lad is something he can install on others in the squad and thats why hes so mouthy at the other players and refs, but its the technical side of his play that has advanced so much in the last two seasons that the players show him so much respect and at times I see them cringe when he is about to have a go at them.