PDA

View Full Version : A thought for all our exiles and everyone across the world within the Rangers family

MDC
23-10-2010, 22:38
All over the planet, people will this Sunday (and Monday!) be thinking of only one thing: Rangers trip to the east end to play in another Glasgow derby.

All those lucky enough to be standing there in person, or on sofas and in pubs, clubs and airports watching on Sky, in cars, on trains, buses and ferries listening to Real Radio, or watching online. And then there are those slightly further afield.

After many years on FF, it still comes as something of a surprise - a real testament to the popularity of the club - to note the numerous locations of posters.

Rangers, and support for the institution, isn't merely a local thing. It's not a Protestant, white thing. It's not even a Scottish or British thing.

From Bath to Bermuda, Bangalore to Bangkok, Brisbane to Bahrain, Bogota to Bulawayo this game will be the most important aspect of their day; of their week; perhaps of their month. It means so much. To all of us, but sometimes even more when you are so far away.

They will spend time, money and effort to get up at (or stay up until) some godforsaken hour to catch a satellite relay; travel distances which would make those who hop on the subway feel a little guilty; use any opportunity to make Glasgow and The Rangers the centre of their thoughts. This Sunday I'll not be in town, but a mere 450 miles is not much in this context.

As well as demonstrating the remarkable geographical spread and strength of the Rangers family, message boards like FF act as a community where - sometimes without any chance of meeting any other posters - you can feel at home. As with all extended families, there's heated disagreement on many topics and some people are best placed in different rooms, if not put out in the garden.

But most of us have one thing in common: we all love The Rangers.

And that love for Rangers comes from so many different sources: we have people whose relatives once played for the Club; those whose entire family have follow followed since they suggested to Moses and co. that forming a footbal club might be a good idea; and so many others which inspire or which simply fit. With that come the people who don't just love The Rangers, but also other clubs - some have RFC as their 2nd, or 3rd club, and some don't even support the club at all, but simply like the banter and the famous Lounge, er, humour.

Today, we heard that one of our long-term posters, Alfieconnssideburns had passed away. Very few posters will have been lucky enough to have met him, but those who did will attest to his wonderful sense of fun. His posts about his other love - outside his girls - were always one step from madness, but following Tottenham would do that to many a man. To a man and woman, people have expressed their shock at his passing. Those who lived thousands of miles from the man and who only knew him as a name on a screen feel a genuine sense of loss.

That gives a small insight into why community is so rewarding and so important.

Our present squad may not the most talented in our history: it's not even the best team we've seen this century. But, boy, does it have character. It has spirit. It has a wonderful unwillingness to accept defeat or to collapse under pressure: a togetherness. And, more and more, we see that the football it can produce is worthy of The Rangers and of our pride.

For this game all we ask is that they give of their best, and hope that everyone in the extended Rangers family around the world can be given the boost and the excitement that a derby win produces - making all the stress and tension worthwhile.

For all of us, past and present, near and far.

Getintaethem!

Göteborg-Rangers
23-10-2010, 22:43
Great stuff.

Hardly missed a game home and away until I moved here a few years back. Moving away has just made my love for the Rangers grow and grow.

There is not a team in the world like us.

BroomloanWATP
23-10-2010, 22:43
An excellent, excellent post squire.

We Are the People and No Surrender. Get these bastards back in their place, Rangers.

DartfordRSC
23-10-2010, 22:47
Lump in my throat, OP sums up what Rangers FC means to us all. Come on lads lets do it.

inshalla
23-10-2010, 22:48
and a thought to all the bears no longer with us, my auld grandpa will be kicking every ball

WATP

IanDurrant10
23-10-2010, 22:49
Fantastic Post MDC

eastenclosureboy
23-10-2010, 22:50
Great Post and so true!.....

Gerright****inintaethem!

JD Fortune
23-10-2010, 22:52
Nice one MDC.

The Rangers Supporters Club of Calgary will be out in full force tomorrow. Up at 4.30am to get down for the 5.45am kick off.

It's good to know that all over the world fellow bears are doing the same regardless of their time zone and location.

GirvanLighthouse
23-10-2010, 22:55
For our 66 absent friends - Just do it Rangers !

For all our friends and family on the slopes of Ibrox Park in the sky - just do it Rangers !

For our Gallant Pioneers,Messrs Wilton,Struth and Wallace, For Slim Jim,Bobby Shearer, Davie Cooper and all those men in blue - just do it Rangers !

We've got the battle fever on !

Toby77
23-10-2010, 22:58
Superb post. You encapsulated everything I love about this club. We truly are the people.

11albertz
23-10-2010, 23:01
Cmon Rangers,do it for the people.

TheBattleFever
23-10-2010, 23:02
The best post I have seen on here in a long while

WATP

godfodder
23-10-2010, 23:03
Excellent post mate.

From Greenock to Gosport, I'll be follow following tomorrow.

cooperno.7
23-10-2010, 23:14
Fantastic post. Echos the thoughts of many.
Regardless of the result tonight/tomorrow(I think we`ll pump them!), we`ll always have like minded people on here to vent/laugh/cry, get angry with, or find support from, regardless of where you are in the world.
The Rangers family......always there when you need them.

cg11
23-10-2010, 23:15
Tuned into Sh!tanta @ 10:45pm for me

Mon the rangers from rainy Sydney

weesp
23-10-2010, 23:20
Great post MDC! the newly formed Melbourne City Loyal RSC is looking forward to it's first Old Firm tonight. I woke up at 8am today: sunday. Unheard of for me but all I can think about is tonights game and want time to hurry up.

Wherever you are, whoever you're with; stay safe and cheer on the Champions! Come on The Rangers!!!

kangabloodyroo
23-10-2010, 23:22
What a superb post, thanks for starting my Sunday with a great little read, actually gave me a little spine tingle!

Beautiful Brisbane says No Surrender!

bluetinlids
23-10-2010, 23:23
Fantastic post. Got goosebumps reading that.

Come on the Bears

westcoastbear
23-10-2010, 23:25
Reading your post over here in Vancouver it sure rings true for me,4.45 am kick off.

bear all
23-10-2010, 23:34
Great stuff.

Hardly missed a game home and away until I moved here a few years back. Moving away has just made my love for the Rangers grow and grow.

There is not a team in the world like us.

Thats so totally true ,you dont realise how much a part Rangers are in your life until you spend time away from them,a fact i should remind myself of when i have the privilege of visiting Ibrox.

Yoda
23-10-2010, 23:37
Whatever happens tomorrow, we are and always will be... the people.

am proud 2 b blue
23-10-2010, 23:48
to all bears wherever you are in the world tonight;

on helicopter sunday I was in a godforsaken place and was glad to make it back in alive that night. I got in and put sky on just to hear that Scott MacDonald had scored. I had a wee quiet cheer and then went to bed happy

We Are The People

(just thought I'd share)

sgt steve mcgarrett
23-10-2010, 23:53
That's a fabulous post MDC.

It captures everything - I've been building up to tomorrow for weeks - organising our local pub, organising new RSC merchandise, setting expectations at home and at work (clear diary Monday morning and a promise, as always, of cakes for all if we get a favourable result).

We love our team. They are a special team.

But I've just read about Alfie - and my stomach is churning - and its not because of football.

alzh
23-10-2010, 23:55
Great post. Win,lose or draw we are the people.

Charlie'81
23-10-2010, 23:57
Goosebumps.

WATP.

spalds
24-10-2010, 00:30
Nice one MDC.

The Rangers Supporters Club of Calgary will be out in full force tomorrow. Up at 4.30am to get down for the 5.45am kick off.

It's good to know that all over the world fellow bears are doing the same regardless of their time zone and location.
one of these days i'm going to make it to calgary for a game.

5oclockhero
24-10-2010, 00:58
Anywhere, everywhere

loyalnproud
24-10-2010, 01:11
. Warp.....www.lasvegasloyal.com ALL Rangers games live

covloyalrsc
24-10-2010, 01:18
5am Loyal to the piggery. Not me but my two sons. Gutted I'm not going to be there to witness the slaughter, I cant afford it, but I can afford my sons to be there. 2 out of 3 isn't bad.
Cant wait till they can afford it and then the Grandson can be educated

covloyalrsc
24-10-2010, 01:18
Anywhere, everywhere
We will Follow On

sowfb1972
24-10-2010, 01:26
great post m8, we've got the battle fever on over here in sunny Perth. roll on the afternoon to we partake in some light refreshments in a local hostelry, before heading up to the club for the game.

C'Mon The Gers
just do it

WATP

Surrey True Blue
24-10-2010, 01:26
All over the planet, people will this Sunday (and Monday!) be thinking of only one thing: Rangers trip to the east end to play in another Glasgow derby.

All those lucky enough to be standing there in person, or on sofas and in pubs, clubs and airports watching on Sky, in cars, on trains, buses and ferries listening to Real Radio, or watching online. And then there are those slightly further afield.

After many years on FF, it still comes as something of a surprise - a real testament to the popularity of the club - to note the numerous locations of posters.

Rangers, and support for the institution, isn't merely a local thing. It's not a Protestant, white thing. It's not even a Scottish or British thing.

From Bath to Bermuda, Bangalore to Bangkok, Brisbane to Bahrain, Bogota to Bulawayo this game will be the most important aspect of their day; of their week; perhaps of their month. It means so much. To all of us, but sometimes even more when you are so far away.

They will spend time, money and effort to get up at (or stay up until) some godforsaken hour to catch a satellite relay; travel distances which would make those who hop on the subway feel a little guilty; use any opportunity to make Glasgow and The Rangers the centre of their thoughts. This Sunday I'll not be in town, but a mere 450 miles is not much in this context.

As well as demonstrating the remarkable geographical spread and strength of the Rangers family, message boards like FF act as a community where - sometimes without any chance of meeting any other posters - you can feel at home. As with all extended families, there's heated disagreement on many topics and some people are best placed in different rooms, if not put out in the garden.

But most of us have one thing in common: we all love The Rangers.

And that love for Rangers comes from so many different sources: we have people whose relatives once played for the Club; those whose entire family have follow followed since they suggested to Moses and co. that forming a footbal club might be a good idea; and so many others which inspire or which simply fit. With that come the people who don't just love The Rangers, but also other clubs - some have RFC as their 2nd, or 3rd club, and some don't even support the club at all, but simply like the banter and the famous Lounge, er, humour.

Today, we heard that one of our long-term posters, Alfieconnssideburns had passed away. Very few posters will have been lucky enough to have met him, but those who did will attest to his wonderful sense of fun. His posts about his other love - outside his girls - were always one step from madness, but following Tottenham would do that to many a man. To a man and woman, people have expressed their shock at his passing. Those who lived thousands of miles from the man and who only knew him as a name on a screen feel a genuine sense of loss.

That gives a small insight into why community is so rewarding and so important.

Our present squad may not the most talented in our history: it's not even the best team we've seen this century. But, boy, does it have character. It has spirit. It has a wonderful unwillingness to accept defeat or to collapse under pressure: a togetherness. And, more and more, we see that the football it can produce is worthy of The Rangers and of our pride.

For this game all we ask is that they give of their best, and hope that everyone in the extended Rangers family around the world can be given the boost and the excitement that a derby win produces - making all the stress and tension worthwhile.

For all of us, past and present, near and far.

Getintaethem!

Wonderful sublime post.

WATP

rockymountainbear
24-10-2010, 02:38
As always, a fitting post by you MDC.

No Surrender and lets put these bastards back in their hole.

doogsternz
24-10-2010, 04:23
superb post

Kim_Jung_Il
24-10-2010, 05:24
Cap doffed MDC. That's a great post and a nice wee tribute.

saltspringbluenose
24-10-2010, 05:28
http://i52.tinypic.com/vdsgx.jpg
Excellent article All the best from the West. 4am Loyal

williamstown
24-10-2010, 05:39
Great post mate,now me and the rest who still live with The Rangers on our doorsteps have one thing in life that swiming pools and sunshine cant beat,
kidding lads,the loyalty and devotion from bears overseas is just overwhelming
and shows that we are the people is global as is Loyalism.

nzb
24-10-2010, 05:48
Cheers MDC, Thats me got the battle fever on 110%

COME ON THE GERS!!:)

moonwatcher
24-10-2010, 05:49
:)Well said op !!:)

joburgbear
24-10-2010, 06:35
Great post MDC, must admit it brought a tear to my eye with your words regarding alfie!!
:union:WATP:scotflag:
Kuwait Loyal

jivman
24-10-2010, 06:36
Lovely post MDC, captures the spirit of Rangers and the Rangers family perfectly.

First I've read of Alfieconnssideburns passing away :(:( never met him but read his posts with interest for years, he was posting the other day about Spurs in the Champions League. Suppose he got to see something he never imagined would ever happen which is great.

And yeah, I've been planning today all this week, been away for nearly 18 months and this will be the first time I'll be watching us in the company of other Bears (A whole 7 of us plus assorted mates and neutrals to be converted) the first steps to a proper KL RSC, supremely excited for it.

7.45pm kick off too, much more Protestant. ;)

Just do it Rangers and make many thousands of Bears around the world absolutely ecstatic whilst the people around them haven't a clue about the significance or even that it's happening at all.

WATP!! :barscarf:

Easternbear
24-10-2010, 08:00
Great post, sums it all up really.

Writing this at work in cairo and counting the clock till I can leave and get back for the game. Hoping that the traffic is not its usual chaos and I can get back for kick off.

C'mon Rangers!

atlanta_loyal
24-10-2010, 08:00
http://i54.tinypic.com/32zhydu.jpg

T9Row
24-10-2010, 08:08
Great post MDC.

My brother flew up from London on Friday, I came through from Perth to Glasgow, staying in a hotel over the weekend so we can watch it on tv in a pub:blink:

All that expense, days off work .. just for the Rangers :)

El Guaje
24-10-2010, 08:16
That's the best post I've read in a while, superb stuff

Get Intae them indeed!

The Railway Bear
24-10-2010, 08:56
What a great post. I am one of those fortunate to have a ticket for today but have watched many games in various locations overseas. It never ceases to amaze me the passion and dedication these guys have even though they are so many thousands of miles away. Tampa RSC is one such example, I was priviliged to watch a game with them last Christmas and was made extremely welcome. This epitomises why We truly Are The People.

Westwood
24-10-2010, 09:23
FFS - I'm filling up here.

Great post.

Come on Rangers - WATP.

andye1981
24-10-2010, 09:26
Excellent Post, Walter should read that out on the bus to the piggery this morning.

We ARE The People

Hinto
24-10-2010, 09:40
All the way from Adelaide down under.

Alf Stewart says no surrender!

DocStone
24-10-2010, 10:31
Really nice post MDC, thanks for that.

brooklynblue
20-03-2011, 02:08
Worth a bump.

super_ally_the2nd
20-03-2011, 02:22
can't believe I missed this first time round :o

excellent post :)

Aimar
20-03-2011, 02:23
Superbly written MDC

WATP

Bomber_Jackson
20-03-2011, 02:31
Fantastic MDC.

fluter
20-03-2011, 02:36
Great post MDC. WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

Stirling Bear
20-03-2011, 02:37
Excellent let's be having them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob the Hippo
20-03-2011, 03:00
Great post!
Going to the game tomorrow. My wife should be going as well as long as my wee boy is fit enough for drop off at the grandparents. (sick at party today)
Your post made me think about all the bears across the world that will be making a big effort just to see the game.
I hope every bear going tomorrow can remember this, give the team support and sing for 90 mins and make every bear around the world proud.

Rex
20-03-2011, 03:05
I remember this great post, and the sad passing of a fellow bear and poster :(

Let's hope its ressurected for the same result again - I've got a wee tenner on 3-1 to the Bears.

denver_bear
20-03-2011, 03:16
Great post.

Wishing all in the Royal Blue of The Rangers all the best from Denver, Colorado.

Oatlands
20-03-2011, 04:20

A great post but I disagree with this line. Why kiss up to the politically correct elements of the media and government? This is what's wrong today. We are afraid to speak the honest truth. We support Rangers precisely because we are Protestant and British. That's what it's all about.

texas ranger
20-03-2011, 04:33
Due to us springing forward last week we only have a 5 hour time difference right now and the luxury of a 10:00 am kick off.....:)

Going into Dallas to meet up with another 5 or 6 Rangers fans to watch the game.

CanadaLoyal
20-03-2011, 04:54
I'll be sleepless tonight on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

jivman
20-03-2011, 06:26

In October I fully agreed with this. I can't say the same today, and I hate that. Dreading the game today, and I hate that.

C'mon Rangers, give us back our pride, be the team we all know you can be, give your all, you fight on behalf of - and with the backing of - hundreds of thousands Bears worldwide that make up the Rangers family.

11pm kick off here, it's a really long day.

Just do it Rangers !!

:watp: :barscarf:

thebarron
20-03-2011, 06:27
11pm local time. Can't wait.

Getintaethemloyal

FortWilliamLoyal
20-03-2011, 06:36
2am kick off in Melbourne, just do it Rangers!:)

BakuBear
20-03-2011, 06:45
Worst post in a long time by OP, All those B locations and Bath gets a mention before the 1st RSC in the former Soviet Union. I will be contacting the embassy and expressing concerns over anti pre Soviet state propaganda, I demand clarification and resignation :mad:

To all the other bears in every corner of the world, let's show these bastards they need to win a trophy and that is they very thing we are world record holders for

cooperno.7
20-03-2011, 07:36
Get to bed for a few hours, then up at 1.30am for the game. Have taken the day off work tomorrow in the hope that I'll be having a few beers to celebrate a victory.
C'mon the RANGERS!!!! You owe us all a decent performance and result.

dannats
20-03-2011, 07:58
OP is right, we are a one off, for me I am in Korea and generally am up or setting my alarm in the early hours usually twice a week to see a game - and getting up 2 hours later to go to do a full days work. Rangers top is on and if I have to find a new internet streamhalf a dozen times in the darkness to see the Rangers it is no exageration. Sometimes I need to make do with live text updates from sporting life or whatever as there is no, or no good stream. To be at Ibrox is special and the subway loyal dont know how lucky they are. W are TP and we will prevail, bring them on and put them back where they belong my beloved Rangers