PDA

View Full Version : Mo Edu- Our Most Underrated Player?

ayr__loyal
18-10-2010, 20:59
http://i56.tinypic.com/2va1uzl.png

I don't know about anyone else but I think the big man's doing a great job for us, playing almost every game this season due to our small squad and apart from a poor 1st half away to Hearts, he's hardly put a foot wrong. He just gets on with the job.

Big couple of games coming up and I reckon he could be a key player for us in them.

Anyone else been impressed?

Crouchy
18-10-2010, 21:03
I really like him as a Player.

Does the simple thing.

I think due to him being 'Athletic' people expect him to be running about at 100mph, and crunching people left, right and centre. He has more than that, I think he'll be a big player for us.

Professor_Chaos
18-10-2010, 21:04
Yes he is. Because there are lots of people who don't rate him at all. I think he's excellent, and can be a star for us for years.

IanDurrant10
18-10-2010, 21:04
I don't think he has had a good start to the season at all

But I'm confident he can come on to a game

scoobyblue
18-10-2010, 21:05
no still think he could do with a little bit more pace but hey i hope he pops up in the last min to score against the manky mob on sunday

Village Bluenose
18-10-2010, 21:05
He is still raw and learning the game for me.

Clark
18-10-2010, 21:06
I got his name on the back of the 3rd strip in the club shop on sat!

My only worry is that he still likes a wee bit too much time on the ball but he seems to be ever improving.

Halfwaythere
18-10-2010, 21:06
Not been impressed one bit this season, to be honest, disappointing is the word I would use for his form thus far.

Earl of Leven
18-10-2010, 21:07
Not underrated by me.

I have the man love for my main man Mo......

halfaperson
18-10-2010, 21:12
he is a fine player for us..as you know though, we have to have a whipping boy

Shotters Nation
18-10-2010, 21:13
Most over-rated player we have on here especially.

Used to think i was being harsh on him but most on my bus and those around me all share the same view, far too slow on the ball, too many touches when in possession ....

Overall i'd much rather have davis n mcculloch in the centre with edu playing backup to them

Earl of Leven
18-10-2010, 21:14
Overrated? Like Whittaker's fan club? Or Kyle Lafferty getting 1,001 chances to come good?

Mo Edu is young and talented and watch his performance in CL to see that.

We do like a whipping boy but there is no reason it would be him.

Shotters Nation
18-10-2010, 21:18
Overrated? Like Whittaker's fan club?

Not sure what you mean by that?

My view on whittaker is that he is decent going forward but cannot defend at all

govantrueblue
Not one of my favourites to be honest , wants far to much time on the ball,young enough to learn by his mistakes though.

WALLOPERXXX
I'm not a huge fan. He's still a wean right enough.

Earl of Leven
18-10-2010, 21:20

My view on whittaker is that he is decent going forward but cannot defend at all

I meant that Mo Edu attracts grumbles but some far worse players don't seem to and seem to have a lot of good-will despite evidence....not you specifically. He is not 'popular' in the way others are.

ayr__loyal
18-10-2010, 21:21
I'm not a huge fan. He's still a wean right enough.

He's 24 and a half........

RFC_52
18-10-2010, 21:22
He was doing well at the end of last season took him a while and finally managed to get up to speed but seems to want more time on the ball again.

Shotters Nation
Overrated? Like Whittaker's fan club? Or Kyle Lafferty getting 1,001 chances to come good?

Imo at man utd he was our poorest player and gave the ball away countless times and was caught daydreaming as well

Bursaspor he was okay, was far from being outstanding though

And to save the usual replies

No i dont need to have a whipping boy
Yes i see the big picture at games
I call it as i see it, i dont hate edu, i just dont rate him much at all

Daveger44
He's a good player with a lot to learn still but does a good job for us

I think our most under rated player is Papac though. Solid all season and makes very few mistakes but does it all quietly so doesnt get much credit

derek5287
18-10-2010, 21:23
I really like Edu and think he will become a big player for us, but he still has a lot to learn. Holds onto the ball far too long alot of the time and sometimes isnt sharp enough.

ayr__loyal
18-10-2010, 21:23
Imo at man utd he was our poorest player and gave the ball away countless times and was caught daydreaming as well

It's all about opinions, I thought he was good at old trafford

Meggs
18-10-2010, 21:24
I like him but IMO he is over rated (at present) by a lot of people. I think bar a few games he has been average at best this season.

AnglianBear
18-10-2010, 21:24
He is one of those players that does it without looking like hes actually doing anything - which is a good thing. This gives the illusion to those who dont read the game well that he's lazy or a complete waste of a player.

He's not the kind of player I would worry about collecting a load of bookings over the season , thats for sure. That is my worry - is he "tough" enough for the SPL? I hope so. Sunday is a huge test for him but I feel he has come on to a game since the Man Utd match.

ChicagoBear
18-10-2010, 21:26
I don't think he has had a good start to the season at all

But I'm confident he can come on to a game

This. He has played well and he's also struggled in parts. He'll turn into a very good player for us though.

loppy1982
18-10-2010, 21:32
Just because he wins the ball back without crunching into tackles he'll probably never get the recognition from some people imo.

gilliangers
18-10-2010, 21:32
He's a good player but underrated is just wrong in my opinion. He's just to slow on the ball for me how much time does the boy need! He should know the SPL game by now he never "stands out" in a game for us and I can't remember the last time he was man of the match!

He's had a slow start to the season so he can only get better and I hope his stand out game is this sunday.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
18-10-2010, 21:34
A cracking midfielder and a big game player. Most underrated for sure.

Tollcross true blue
18-10-2010, 21:43
Looks like a basketball player and would be better suited imo

Is he holding midfielder ,playmaker or drive with ball does none of them imo

steven180290
18-10-2010, 21:46
underated this season? no way i think he has been one of our poorer plays this season

ive said on here before and i stick by it that he needs about 12 games to actually get going

about OT, i thought he was dismal in the 1st half but had a good second.

i have faith that he will be a good player for us

David_rfc_
18-10-2010, 21:49
I like him. He's raw but looks like he is always improving.

ayr__loyal
18-10-2010, 21:51

He looks nothing like a basketball player

Camy
18-10-2010, 21:54
I like him, reckon he's generally quite a tidy player - seems to be able to read the game to win the ball without needing to put in the big tackles all the time. Distribution could be better occasionally.

BlueKidG
18-10-2010, 21:55

Used to think i was being harsh on him but most on my bus and those around me all share the same view, far too slow on the ball, too many touches when in possession ....

Overall i'd much rather have davis n mcculloch in the centre with edu playing backup to them

100 % agreed.

The amount of time he dallys on the ball and someone comes in and just takes it off him is getting on my bell end :o

the boy has natural ability, and with under 100 games under his belt he will get better. However just now he isnt giving me confidence.

Going into the Old Firm game with him instead of Mcculloch doesnt fill me with confidence whatsover. The game will be to fast and furious for him.

briggsbear_stu
18-10-2010, 21:57
Still not sure what to make of him to be honest.
Can be very effective at winning the ball back without going to ground but then ruins his good work by wanting so much time on the ball.

Blue Lew
18-10-2010, 22:01
100 % agreed.

The amount of time he dallys on the ball and someone comes in and just takes it off him is getting on my bell end :o

the boy has natural ability, and with under 100 games under his belt he will get better. However just now he isnt giving me confidence.

Going into the Old Firm game with him instead of Mcculloch doesnt fill me with confidence whatsover. The game will be to fast and furious for him.

Totally agree with you and Shotters.

He is under pressure to perform on Sunday.
He will miss Mcculloch big style, I hope he isn't over run.

coist9
18-10-2010, 22:04
Jurys still out for me.

Seems to want too long on the ball, especially in this league which is suicide. Not the finished article as regards to his distribution either.

Dont believe in giving him stick though, he'll never improve that way.

Scored a certain goal in February that made me smile ;)

hippo94735
18-10-2010, 22:05

I have lots of dealings with a couple of Man U fans - they were raving about him after old trafford this year

NDiayes Shinpads
18-10-2010, 22:05
He's a very good player, I wouldn't class him as young but he still has a lot of potential to become an even better player.

Helicopter_Spotter
18-10-2010, 22:08
God FF at it's best ^ :roll eyes:

Blue Lew
18-10-2010, 22:09
God FF at it's best ^ :roll eyes:

What's the problem?

He hasn't been slated.

Professor_Chaos
18-10-2010, 22:11

In what way does he 'look like a basketball player' exactly?

paisleyprod
18-10-2010, 22:12
far better than given credit for.

jjbscotty
18-10-2010, 22:13
I got his name on the back of the 3rd strip in the club shop on sat!

My only worry is that he still likes a wee bit too much time on the ball but he seems to be ever improving.Do they still charge per letter;)

HARTHILL_GER
18-10-2010, 22:15
He's been outstanding both our CL games when I've watched them back after being at the games. He can dwell on the ball but what you don't notice at the games is the amount of times he intercepts the ball. I really think he is a quality player but I fear some people just don't 'get' it with him and also I don't think the management know if he's a holding or box to box midfielder.

Professor_Chaos
18-10-2010, 22:16
He's been outstanding both our CL games when I've watched them back after being at the games. He can dwell on the ball but what you don't notice at the games is the amount of times he intercepts the ball. I really think he is a quality player but I fear some people just don't 'get' it with him and also I don't think the management know if he's a holding or box to box midfielder.

One of the strongest aspects of his game is closing down and limiting space for opponents. He's really good at being in the right place at the right time.

jigster
18-10-2010, 22:19
i love every rangers player 110% but probably love mo & kyle the least...

paisleyprod
18-10-2010, 22:21

jesus wept!

clubdeckg
18-10-2010, 22:22

Why is that?

igorloyal
18-10-2010, 22:26
100 % agreed.

...it's all about opinions and I feel that we're a better football team with him in here rather than mcculloch. I have no worries about him going up against that mhob, when he came on for mcculloch at Ibrox he and thomson dominated the midfield and he went on to score a well deserved winner :) .... compare that to the game where mcculloch got the plaudits for grabbing an equaliser, we were poor in that game, especially in the middle of the park.

edu's more than capable of being a "big" player for us but he certainly seems to need to sharpen up in the early stages of games. hopefully he's on it from the start on sunday and able to use his speed and strength to get in about them.

jigster
18-10-2010, 22:27
jesus wept!

what ?? anytime someone says anything other than this player is great we are all accused of tagging them as "whipping boys", personally i don't see that edu has had a good season so far, kyle the last month has come onto a game especially after walter signed Jelavic, it would've been easier for kyle to be disheartened but he does the opposite & shows his best form to date....

Jacunion
18-10-2010, 22:28
Edu is the most overrated player we have had in many a year. Im sorry but I just dont see it at all. What is he supposed to be exactly? A holding midfielder or a player to break up the play? Because he does neither of them consistently enough for me.

Christ there were even people saying it last week that he should play ahead of McCulloch week in week out.

Make no mistake we will BADLY miss McCulloch against both Valencia and that scumbag mob on Sunday a lot more than we would miss Edu if he wasnt playing.

Jaws II
18-10-2010, 22:32

You also said he gave the ball away against hearts when he had the highest pass completion rate, you are talking total shite about Edu, you have a set opinion on him and you wont change no matter what, some fan who keeps criticising our players no matter what.
Im just glad that walter knows he is good and plays him regularly.

paisleyprod
18-10-2010, 22:48
what ?? anytime someone says anything other than this player is great we are all accused of tagging them as "whipping boys", personally i don't see that edu has had a good season so far, kyle the last month has come onto a game especially after walter signed Jelavic, it would've been easier for kyle to be disheartened but he does the opposite & shows his best form to date....

Go back to your love statement. It just sounded so wrong!

mufasa
18-10-2010, 22:53
far better than given credit for.

Given too much credit.

jigster
18-10-2010, 22:56
Go back to your love statement. It just sounded so wrong!

yes probably, but on here lately as soon as someone puts up a thread declaring someone as having a good/great season if you have a different view point stand you by, i have no malice towards these players i think edu dallies on the ball, i wish kyle would relax into being a rangers player as i'm sure he & us the fans would see the benefits, there is such a thing as constructive criticism but not very much on FF

El Guaje
18-10-2010, 22:59
100 % agreed.

Edu has already ran an Old Firm game, something which I've yet to see McCulloch do tbh.

usbear
18-10-2010, 23:29
not under rated

has had a slow start to the season

is a gem of a player that compliments our midfield every time he's in it

flany-kpl
18-10-2010, 23:30
Most dissapointing this season, yes.

Shotters Nation
18-10-2010, 23:35
You also said he gave the ball away against hearts when he had the highest pass completion rate, you are talking total shite about Edu, you have a set opinion on him and you wont change no matter what, some fan who keeps criticising our players no matter what.
Im just glad that walter knows he is good and plays him regularly.

passing 10 yards sideways to a fellow team-mate aint hard, when he tries to pass the ball in the direction we shoot in, he gives the ball away a good bit.

My main problems with him is that he waits on the ball coming to him rather than going and meeting it, this results in the player being on top of him when he takes his 1st or 2nd touch and he then has to do his usual 180 twirl to get out of trouble and more often than not pass the ball back to Weir or Bougherra.

When on the ball the amount of time he spends f@nnying around taking 5 touches when only 1 or 2 is needed is unreal. By the time he goes to play the pass our players are closed down and the pass if off.

The first few times I seen him I couldn't see why we paid 2m for him and to this day, the jury is still out on him for me and for many others I know.

I'm not too stubborn to change my opinion on a player either. I used to think McCulloch was horrific although having being put in centre mid I love him now and am gutted he's out of Sundays game as we'll miss him big time.

If Edu was to get injured, would we miss him against the tims? IMO no, not at all and I wouldnt batter an eyelid if he didnt feature in Sundays game as I just dont see the hype with the guy at all

and how do I criticse Rangers players no matter what? :D care to explain on that? I dont rate Edu, who else are you meaning?

Edu has already ran an Old Firm game, something which I've yet to see McCulloch do tbh.

what Old Firm game did Edu run? :confused:

Have to say that there are a few posters who are getting carried away with Edu. Yes he scored a last minute winner against the tims but if you are meaning he ran that game then your memory is poor. He took his time settling into that game and only really in the last 20 mins did he come into a game. Before that, Thomson bossed the midfield for us.

Steven_Gers
18-10-2010, 23:36
I like big Edu. Hes really came onto a game.

Hes never really had a chance to really shine until this season because he was injury plauged.

Baxter79
18-10-2010, 23:43
I really like Edu and think he will become a big player for us, but he still has a lot to learn. Holds onto the ball far too long alot of the time and sometimes isnt sharp enough.

I agree with this above,

Blot out the little problems and we have a top player on our hands that will have vultures sniffing.

El Guaje
18-10-2010, 23:44
passing 10 yards sideways to a fellow team-mate aint hard, when he tries to pass the ball in the direction we shoot in, he gives the ball away a good bit.

My main problems with him is that he waits on the ball coming to him rather than going and meeting it, this results in the player being on top of him when he takes his 1st or 2nd touch and he then has to do his usual 180 twirl to get out of trouble and more often than not pass the ball back to Weir or Bougherra.

When on the ball the amount of time he spends f@nnying around taking 5 touches when only 1 or 2 is needed is unreal. By the time he goes to play the pass our players are closed down and the pass if off.

The first few times I seen him I couldn't see why we paid 2m for him and to this day, the jury is still out on him for me and for many others I know.

I'm not too stubborn to change my opinion on a player either. I used to think McCulloch was horrific although having being put in centre mid I love him now and am gutted he's out of Sundays game as we'll miss him big time.

If Edu was to get injured, would we miss him against the tims? IMO no, not at all and I wouldnt batter an eyelid if he didnt feature in Sundays game as I just dont see the hype with the guy at all

and how do I criticse Rangers players no matter what? :D care to explain on that? I dont rate Edu, who else are you meaning?

Have to say that there are a few posters who are getting carried away with Edu. Yes he scored a last minute winner against the tims but if you are meaning he ran that game then your memory is poor. He took his time settling into that game and only really in the last 20 mins did he come into a game. Before that, Thomson bossed the midfield for us.

Total claptrap I'm afraid.

He took his time settleing in? He scored with his first touch only for it to be ruled out then, along whith Thomson like you say, set about bitchslapping their midfield. He should have had a hat trick that day. One move he started in our own half then burst up the field and got on the end of a cross which he nearly volleyed home. He was superb that day. He also owned McGeady yet again in another 50/50

mmrfc1873
18-10-2010, 23:46
He's seemed better in the champions league than in the league this season to me.

He's not the best technically but he does put himself about and make himself useful, I'm still not totally convinced by him though. I thought he was poor last season (despite his goal against them) and think he's still got a lot to prove. His consistency and concentration level is poor.

Younggun_stu23
18-10-2010, 23:48
With Kevin Thomson being away, and McCullloch out injured, a lot of pressure on Edu to produce a big performance this Sunday.

We can't afford to lose the battle in the middle of the park.

El Guaje
18-10-2010, 23:49
With Kevin Thomson being away, and McCullloch out injured, a lot of pressure on Edu to produce a big performance this Sunday.

Who are they likely to play in midfield?

We'll probably go with a 3 of Davis, Edu and Naismith. The taigs will have to be pretty damn good to win that battle

Baxter79
18-10-2010, 23:54

If he comes through it and has a big performance like i expect he will, there will be a lot of people doing the moonwalk on here!

Village Bluenose
18-10-2010, 23:58
Edu is in a similar mould to Lafferty and Naismith for me, He is a young guy who is still learning the game and also learning what it takes to play for a massive club with all the pressures and expectations that come with it, He has also been hampered by injuries and has never really had a proper run in a settled team, overall he hasnt been great but he has done ok so far and has good potential to be a top player imo.

Cooperfan
19-10-2010, 00:00
Edu is a good player. However, as people have said, he has not started the season too well. I'm sure he'll come good, hopefully very soon.

Shotters Nation
19-10-2010, 00:00
Total claptrap I'm afraid.

He took his time settleing in? He scored with his first touch only for it to be ruled out then, along whith Thomson like you say, set about bitchslapping their midfield. He should have had a hat trick that day. One move he started in our own half then burst up the field and got on the end of a cross which he nearly volleyed home. He was superb that day. He also owned McGeady yet again in another 50/50

scored a belter of a volley when he came on but after that IMO and from memory, he didn't get going full pelt until the last 20 when we pinned them into their own half . .

from memory, Thomson bossed their midfield and bitchslapped Keane, Kamara and a few more of them and he certainly got the crowd going again with blasting the ball into Kamara's stomach.

El Guaje
19-10-2010, 00:03
scored a belter of a volley when he came on but after that IMO and from memory, he didn't get going full pelt until the last 20 when we pinned them into their own half . .

from memory, Thomson bossed their midfield and bitchslapped Keane, Kamara and a few more of them and he certainly got the crowd going again with blasting the ball into Kamara's stomach.

Thomson was outstanding, Edu played a blinder too.

Shotters Nation
19-10-2010, 00:03

key to the game IMO . .

maybe wishful thinking but I'm still hopeful that McCulloch's injury has been slightly exagerrated and that he is being kept for Sunday as his physical presence in there would be key and a few crunching tackles gets them riled and the bears going

Who are they likely to play in midfield?

We'll probably go with a 3 of Davis, Edu and Naismith. The taigs will have to be pretty damn good to win that battle

I'm hoping our 3 centre mids will be what you have said above (if Lee isnt fit) with Lafferty & Weiss on the wings

I think they'll go with a 4-4-2 with Ledley & Ki / Juarez in the middle of the park

RedLionBear
19-10-2010, 00:09
IMO I prefer McCulloch in the middle of the park. I don't dislike Edu as a player, I just don't rate him that high

Village Bluenose
19-10-2010, 00:19
I would be slightly worried with just Edu and Davis in there tbh as we would be quite open, plus Edu gets caught out of position a bit too much for my liking tbh and hopefully McCulloch is fit so we can play all 3 along with Naismith as that is the key area to winning the game for me They will probably have 3 OF debutants in there, (Ki,Ledley,Juarez) who are all ball players and who also like time on the ball along with Maloney and none of them are prepared or capable to get stuck in and i would be very confident with Edu/McCulloch/Davis and Naismith that we could overrun them in there and control the game.

Bluebells Bar, Puerto Del Carmen
19-10-2010, 01:31
meh...

Needs to do more IMHO. I've seen what he's got but not often enough.

:)

HarryP-G-Dawg1980
19-10-2010, 01:33
I also <3 Mo and Lafferty.

chilebear
19-10-2010, 01:43
Edu is the most overrated player we have had in many a year. Im sorry but I just dont see it at all. What is he supposed to be exactly? A holding midfielder or a player to break up the play? Because he does neither of them consistently enough for me.

Christ there were even people saying it last week that he should play ahead of McCulloch week in week out.

Make no mistake we will BADLY miss McCulloch against both Valencia and that scumbag mob on Sunday a lot more than we would miss Edu if he wasnt playing.Then why is it weve always played better with Edu in the team and not Lee against that mob?

chilebear
19-10-2010, 01:44
key to the game IMO . .

maybe wishful thinking but I'm still hopeful that McCulloch's injury has been slightly exagerrated and that he is being kept for Sunday as his physical presence in there would be key and a few crunching tackles gets them riled and the bears going

I'm hoping our 3 centre mids will be what you have said above (if Lee isnt fit) with Lafferty & Weiss on the wings
Lafferty is pish on the wings:mad:Why put him there when we have Naisy and Weiss

I think they'll go with a 4-4-2 with Ledley & Ki / Juarez in the middle of the park...........................................

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 01:48
Given too much credit.

rubbish, even the game you text me about him, he played well

ArnoldRimmer
19-10-2010, 01:50
Hasn't really got off to a good start this season IMO. I feel much happier when Mcculloch is playing.

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 01:52
we have pumped Well and pummelled Hearts yet Edu is not good? I don't get it.

HarryP-G-Dawg1980
19-10-2010, 01:55
we have pumped Well and pummelled Hearts yet Edu is not good? I don't get it.

Is it coz he is black?

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 01:59
Is it coz he is black?

:eek::ninja::D:D

HarryP-G-Dawg1980
19-10-2010, 02:05
To be honest i think he has a lot of potential for us and i see him as a solid player, a great player to have in your squad but right now he doesn't excite me.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 06:00

Big mo has not run an old firm game let's set that straight.

And if u think Sunday will be like any other old firm game your bein very naive.

mmrfc1873
19-10-2010, 06:21
Hasn't really got off to a good start this season IMO. I feel much happier when Mcculloch is playing.

McCulloch is a player you need in you'r team, especially because he's someone that'll get stuck in constantly, in all honesty I've never seen Edu even stick a foot out to win the ball.

ayr__loyal
19-10-2010, 06:24
McCulloch is a player you need in you'r team, especially because he's someone that'll get stuck in constantly, in all honesty I've never seen Edu even stick a foot out to win the ball.

Really? I mean really?

mmrfc1873
19-10-2010, 06:27
Really? I mean really?

Really, like, really.

hazybear
19-10-2010, 07:18
Lafferty plays well - gets slagged
Whittaker plays well - gets slagged
McCulloch plays well - gets slagged
Broadfoot plays well - gets slagged

Edu plays dreadful - gets praised

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 07:28
Lafferty plays well - gets slagged
Whittaker plays well - gets slagged
McCulloch plays well - gets slagged
Broadfoot plays well - gets slagged

Edu plays dreadful - gets praised

He's Foreign ;) :D :D :D

Jaws II
19-10-2010, 07:34
Edu plays well - Hazybear, jacunion, mmrfc 1873, shotters, bluekid g, this motley crew say he was poor despite official stats saying he had a good game and the odd amount of people who know something about football, like our manager.:D

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 07:37
Edu plays well - Hazybear, jacunion, mmrfc 1873, shotters, bluekid g, this motley crew say he was poor despite official stats saying he had a good game and the odd amount of people who know something about football, like our manager.:D

which game :confused:

Jaws II
19-10-2010, 07:48
which game :confused:

His first season he came in and took over Ferguson's place and we went on an un beaten run with 10 victories where he won MOM in 3 of them.
Last season wasnt as great due to injuries at the start caused by that ****heid Dods at United. However did come in and win us a game against the scum.
This season he has started slowly in the spl, but the last few matches against Hearts, Motherwell he has been solid in the middle of the park.
In Europe he has been excellent and against man U he was one of the best on the park and this was even noticed by the english press and media.

You lot dont have a fooking good word to say about a Rangers player no matter how good he plays, and he suffers the opposite of Big Lee. Big lee doesnt make a mistake he somehow has played brilliant despite being a bit slow to track players back, not really making any great passes or actually getting involved.
Mo is an athletic big player who gives protection for weir, tracks players until they make mistakes or lose possession, makes good attacking passes.
He does take time on the ball as he is trying not to just punt aimless balls up to nobody, he can sometimes lose the ball but it has never caused a goal and to be fair he tracks back and tends to sort the situation.
he hasnt been at his best in the first half of the spl games I will give you that, however europe and 2nd half of spl he has been a great deal better.

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 07:55
I know most on here will disagree but with Edu in the team in place of McCulloch, we are stronger and far less error-prone.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 07:56
His first season he came in and took over Ferguson's place and we went on an un beaten run with 10 victories where he won MOM in 3 of them.
Last season wasnt as great due to injuries at the start caused by that ****heid Dods at United. However did come in and win us a game against the scum.
This season he has started slowly in the spl, but the last few matches against Hearts, Motherwell he has been solid in the middle of the park.
In Europe he has been excellent and against man U he was one of the best on the park and this was even noticed by the english press and media.

You lot dont have a fooking good word to say about a Rangers player no matter how good he plays, and he suffers the opposite of Big Lee. Big lee doesnt make a mistake he somehow has played brilliant despite being a bit slow to track players back, not really making any great passes or actually getting involved.
Mo is an athletic big player who gives protection for weir, tracks players until they make mistakes or lose possession, makes good attacking passes.
He does take time on the ball as he is trying not to just punt aimless balls up to nobody, he can sometimes lose the ball but it has never caused a goal and to be fair he tracks back and tends to sort the situation.
he hasnt been at his best in the first half of the spl games I will give you that, however europe and 2nd half of spl he has been a great deal better.

I dont slag off rangers players.

I say it how i see it and in this same thread iv said he will become a good player for us, but iv not got the blinkers on.

He never ''ran'' the 1-0 old firm game, he was solid.

he does fanny about on the ball and get caught out quite a bit and sometimes the games too fast for him in the spl - his euro form has been solid and out of big lee davis and him he has been the pick of the 3.

Iv also said he has under 100 pro games and will mature - the only problem iv got for sunday is the game will be 200mph and he struggles when its like that, hes sometimes like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

as for mcculloch he likes to spread the play which helps the team whereas Edu likes to keep it central and sometimes runs into trouble there.

iv no doubt he will become a top player for us - but at this minute he is far from the finished article and complete midfielder folk on here are wanking about.

p.s what game were you on about that the motley crew :roll: were speaking about cause im lost.

scottyboyrfc
19-10-2010, 08:08
The man is a rock when at his best. It is good we do have some options there to freshen things up when the need arises. A big player in title run ins.

bigbluebroxi
19-10-2010, 08:31

What did you think about Hemdani?

Same situation for Edu as it was for him IMO. Hes not a blood and guts central midfielder so folk think he is ineffective.

I understand your point about him dallying on the ball, however I dont think its as bad as you make out.

Has it ever cost us?

bigbluebroxi
19-10-2010, 08:34
Edu is in a similar mould to Lafferty and Naismith for me, He is a young guy who is still learning the game and also learning what it takes to play for a massive club with all the pressures and expectations that come with it, He has also been hampered by injuries and has never really had a proper run in a settled team, overall he hasnt been great but he has done ok so far and has good potential to be a top player imo.

Have to remember that Edu only started playing professional football, never mind for a club our size, a couple of seasons ago, and hes had a horrendous injury to recover from since we signed him.

boonabear
19-10-2010, 08:57
This is the season he has to step up to the plate for us, no excuses

I sid that about mainly him and Naismith this season ans the latter is certainly doing his part :D

So far this season I would say he has performed well pre season and on the European front but slightly dissapointing domestically

Just my opinion ofcourse

mufasa
19-10-2010, 09:00
rubbish, even the game you text me about him, he played well

No he didn't.

He is average at best and vanishes too often in games.

As a mate said to me yesterday for what we paid and how much we sold barry for we would have been as well keeping the far more influential and better barry than buying Edu.

A non-scoring, non-tackling, non-dominating midfielder with some athletic ability about sums him up.

Shotters Nation
19-10-2010, 09:03

not like you to talk p1sh jaws, becoming a habit on here since the summer when we wouldnt make any signings etc. etc. ;)

McCulloch deserves praise as he has been superb in centre midfield for us, that cant be disputed. As I said above, I used to think McCulloch was utter pish, now though I have completely changed my mind and love him now

Lafferty has been overall, poor but the last few weeks upfront and at the weekend there he was one of our better players

If people dont agree with your opinion then you always throw the toys out of the pram "never have a good word to say / head in the sand" etc . :roll:

Bottom line is, at first I thought maybe I was being a bit harsh on Edu but given most on my bus, pretty much everyone around me + when you hear people talking in the pubs before and after games, it would appear that the whole Edu superstar hype only appears on here

Southside_Shug
19-10-2010, 09:05
He'll never be a Lee McCulloch, that's for sure.

Shotters Nation
19-10-2010, 09:06
What did you think about Hemdani?

Same situation for Edu as it was for him IMO. Hes not a blood and guts central midfielder so folk think he is ineffective.

I understand your point about him dallying on the ball, however I dont think its as bad as you make out.

Has it ever cost us?

Hemdani I rated highly as he broke up play without going to ground and he held his position superbly. Edu also breaks up some play without going to ground.

Hemdani didn't drift out of position and he certaily didnt wait on the ball coming to him and he knew when to release it. Edu has trouble with this as he drifts, holds on to the ball too long and it sometimes gets him in trouble

RAM90
19-10-2010, 09:14
He'll never be a Lee McCulloch, that's for sure. He is a better player than Lee McCulloch imo. Edu is a very good player but is just always half a yard off the pace.

HARTHILL_GER
19-10-2010, 09:14
No he didn't.

He is average at best and vanishes too often in games.

As a mate said to me yesterday for what we paid and how much we sold barry for we would have been as well keeping the far more influential and better barry than buying Edu.

A non-scoring, non-tackling, non-dominating midfielder with some athletic ability about sums him up.

Quite ironic that given we went on a league winning run in 2009 when Ferguson was dropped and Edu came into the team and was imo the best player in the team for the final 10 games or so.

He then suffered a serious injury, and missed many months.

Average players are not main stays in the United States national team.

Its clear Edu polarises opinion on here. My point is in the big games this season, the Champions League, he has been outstanding. He needs to prove that on Wednesday though without the protection of McCulloch there.

Southside_Shug
19-10-2010, 09:20
He is a better player than Lee McCulloch imo. Edu is a very good player but is just always half a yard off the pace.

Not on the form of the past year.

MCulloch has been very good, whilst Edu has barely been up to scratch.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 09:32
Quite ironic that given we went on a league winning run in 2009 when Ferguson was dropped and Edu came into the team and was imo the best player in the team for the final 10 games or so.

He then suffered a serious injury, and missed many months.

Average players are not main stays in the United States national team.

Its clear Edu polarises opinion on here. My point is in the big games this season, the Champions League, he has been outstanding. He needs to prove that on Wednesday though without the protection of McCulloch there.

He is hardly a "mainstay" of the US team.

He does not dominate midfield, he does not bring other players into the game, he rarely scores, cant take a free kick....just some of the basics I would expect from a midfielder.

for we would maybe have been as well keeping Barry, he was sold to save on wages, we then spent that money on an unproven Edu who has had very few decent games for us.

HARTHILL_GER
19-10-2010, 09:36
for we would maybe have been as well keeping Barry, he was sold to save on wages, we then spent that money on an unproven Edu who has had very few decent games for us.

No he wasn't. He was sold because Smith had decided his time with us was at and end.

An arrangement which has worked out for both parties.

Edu came off the bench and dominated the Old Firm game in which he scored in last season.

Inconsistent - without question. However he has ability.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 09:48
No he wasn't. He was sold because Smith had decided his time with us was at and end.

Edu came off the bench and dominated the Old Firm game in which he scored in last season.

In my opinion barry went for the wage cutting as much as anything. Either way the cash saved was spent on a poorer quality player.

Dominated.....!!!! Dont really think so.

He hides that ability very well beneath long periods of mediocrity and inconsistency.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 09:54
He is hardly a "mainstay" of the US team.

He does not dominate midfield, he does not bring other players into the game, he rarely scores, cant take a free kick....just some of the basics I would expect from a midfielder.

Last statement is wrong. It was correct for ferguson to go and to replace him with someone who was younger an has a better attitude as well as good potential.

He never dominated that game. If anyone did it was bougherra.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 10:02
Last statement is wrong. It was correct for ferguson to go and to replace him with someone who was younger an has a better attitude as well as good potential.

I said "would maybe", it was an expression of opinion as is your opinion that it was correct for barry to go, it's not wrong it's your opinion.

It "would maybe" have been better to have kept a proven player than to replace him with "potential". At the time we were cutting back wages apparently yet spent a significant sum on "potential" which even by his most ardent supporters admissions in this thread has been rarely seen.

It could also be said that "potentially" Barry may have changed his attitude and realised how fortunate he was to captain the most succesful club in the world.:D

robbee
19-10-2010, 10:10
Vital that he performs well on Sunday. Personally don't rate him at all. Far too slow in thought and action and don't go with this he's only a lad crap. Still fingers crossed he ups his game at the weekend because their method of pressing the ball will put him under a lot of pressure.

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 10:10
Yeez are aw racialist basturts.

Ah love Mo.

Fact.

He sho shizzles my nizzle.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 10:15
Yeez are aw racialist basturts.

Ah love Mo.

Fact.

He sho shizzles my nizzle.

http://www.koolbadges.co.uk/images/thumbnails/manlove-200x200.jpg

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 10:17
http://www.koolbadges.co.uk/images/thumbnails/manlove-200x200.jpg

Is there any love as pure as the man love?

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 10:20
Not on the form of the past year.

MCulloch has been very good, whilst Edu has barely been up to scratch.

Problem is though McCulloch, even when "very good", is nothing more than a battler who can't pass and offers zero goal threat.

Edu just might be a player one day, whereas McCulloch is as good now as he'll ever be and that's not good enough.

Being forced to replace a genuine craftsman like BF with a scuffler like McCulloch is sympomatic of how low Murry and Bain have dragged us.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 10:29
Problem is though McCulloch, even when "very good", is nothing more than a battler who can't pass and offers zero goal threat.

Edu just might be a player one day, whereas McCulloch is as good now as he'll ever be and that's not good enough.

Being forced to replace a genuine craftsman like BF with a scuffler like McCulloch is sympomatic of how low Murry and Bain have dragged us.

Iv read some shite on here not normally from you but that's up there with the most pishworthy posts of the month :o

1. He can pass - as stats show and when watching the games you will realise how much mcculloch switches and opens play up.

2. He is a big goal threat from set pieces and has scored a few long range screamers since joining.

3. Just because he is wearing 6 doesn't mean he is "replacing" ferguson.

Leo_Ger
19-10-2010, 10:46

Edu was here before Ferguson left. When Ferguson left, we also had Mendes and a Thomson returning from injury. We spent the money received for Ferguson on no one, until Beattie & Jelavic.

Results say we haven't missed Ferguson, and financially we're far better off not paying our highest wage to a player who rarely justified his salary with consistently great performances in his second spell at the club.

Crouchy
19-10-2010, 10:57
Edu was here before Ferguson left. When Ferguson left, we also had Mendes and a Thomson returning from injury. We spent the money received for Ferguson on no one, until Beattie & Jelavic.

Results say we haven't missed Ferguson, and financially we're far better off not paying our highest wage to a player who rarely justified his salary with consistently great performances in his second spell at the club.

Don't forget any potential Sell on Value from Edu.

Couple of good Seasons, and he'll be a 4/5 million pound Player.

Teams are crying out for a strong, athletic, ball winning midfielder.

hazybear
19-10-2010, 11:17

Yep your right, teams are crying out for a strong athletic, ball winning midfielder,
but I would rather keep Lee McCulloch as he is doing the business for Rangers.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 11:24

Here when or after is immaterial, we cut costs with barry in my opinion with monies that was splurged on Edu we could have kept him.

And as for justifying wages and fees paid, barry outdoes Edu in every single aspect of that with "ability" the key rather than "athleticism". The point was if barry going was down to wage cutting then we could have kept him had we not signed the average Edu.

mufasa
19-10-2010, 11:26

He will need to improve greatly to have those couple of good seasons and be worth that valuation.

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 11:49
Iv read some shite on here not normally from you but that's up there with the most pishworthy posts of the month :o

1. He can pass - as stats show and when watching the games you will realise how much mcculloch switches and opens play up.

McCulloch loses possession more often and makes more fruitless runs than anyone else in the team.

2. He is a big goal threat from set pieces and has scored a few long range screamers since joining.

So did Bert Kontermann.

3. Just because he is wearing 6 doesn't mean he is "replacing" ferguson.

Doesn't it? What does it mean then?

McCulloch is, at times, an adequate battler with a physical presence. Nothing more.

igorloyal
19-10-2010, 12:00
<snip>

McCulloch deserves praise as he has been superb in centre midfield for us, that cant be disputed. </snip>

Absolute nonsense !!!

"superb" ??????

I think you'll find that assertion CAN and WILL be disputed.

He has performed at a "reasonable" level for someone who is not (and never will be) "superb" in any position. He has far too many flaws in his game to be "superb".

Too slow, cumbersome, lacking vision and positional sense to really deserve to be first choice centre mid for rangers. For me he's only a couple of notches up from Bob Malcolm .... who was the "best passer at Ibrox" according to Eck.

I accept that due to our current financial state he he's seen as an important squad player due to his "versatility" but I cannot understand the hero worship he gets by some supporters to the extent that they try to overaccentuate faults in a superior central midfielder like Edu's game in an attempt to justify "big jig" getting into the team before him. :confused: :confused:

....but then i suppose that's the way it's always been - some saw adam as a waster, who tried too many "hollywood" passes, some saw him as a talented player who was never a left winger.... some thought DMB as lightweight and made of glass, others thought he had talent, was quick and composed with the ball but failed to get protection from SPL refs that was given to the likes of nakamura....

all about opinions as they say..

Earth Worm Jim
19-10-2010, 12:01
i would be inclinced to say over rated by many.

We are a much more solid unit with McCulloch in Edu's place.

Grant
19-10-2010, 12:22
He needs to tighten up a bit. All too often he waits for the ball, instead of going to meet it and gets it nipped off his toe.
Also needs to get his head up a bit and find a pass before he takes the ball and not take as many touches.

Can't fault his football ability, he just needs to get a bit more wise to play in Scotland.

CertifiedWeissfanboy
19-10-2010, 12:27
i would be inclinced to say over rated by many.

We are a much more solid unit with McCulloch in Edu's place.

Like when an Aberdeen b-side ran over the top of our midfield in the first half of the game at Pittodrie?

Edu's performance against Hearts was better than anything McCulloch has handed in so far in the SPL this year.

Jaws II
19-10-2010, 12:28
Like when an Aberdeen b-side ran over the top of our midfield in the first half of the game at Pittodrie?

Edu's performance against Hearts was better than anything McCulloch has handed in so far in the SPL this year.

Logic like that doesnt work on FF mate!:D

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 12:29
I am inn tears with this....I'll need a full run down of games he's played that we've lost this season. That shouldn't be tough considering how pish he is.

;-)

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 12:32
Mufasa the edu hater!

Shameful!:D

Cooperfan
19-10-2010, 12:33
Edu, along with Davis, should be our central midfield two. In Europe, depending on whether we will play 5 in midfield, you can add in McCulloch.

Coulter612
19-10-2010, 12:35
I like Mo but I just don't see what kind of midfielder he is going to turn himself into. Certainly not a destroyer like McCulloch nor is he the creative type like Davis. When he first broke through I saw an athletic, box to box player but he even seems to have dropped that drive from his game.

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 12:39
I like Mo but I just don't see what kind of midfielder he is going to turn himself into. Certainly not a destroyer like McCulloch nor is he the creative type like Davis. When he first broke through I saw an athletic, box to box player but he even seems to have dropped that drive from his game.

playing as instructed by the manager I'd guess

mufasa
19-10-2010, 12:41
Mufasa the edu hater!

Shameful!:D

Whoa....instead of hate try doesn't rate......and it rhymes.:blink:

mufasa
19-10-2010, 12:42
I am inn tears with this....I'll need a full run down of games he's played that we've lost this season. That shouldn't be tough considering how pish he is.

;-)

I see what you did there, very clever.......:blink:

El Guaje
19-10-2010, 12:44
This is what I was talking about on Sunday and was shot down for it.

McCulloch is 'superb' and Edu is 'awful.

These people just cannot be serious.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 12:44
McCulloch is, at times, an adequate battler with a physical presence. Nothing more.

The quotes are bollocks - I can't even be arsed
Going through it.

Because he has number 6 he is replacing ferguson?

So is edu replacing Hutton :confused:

Fleck replacing novo :confused:

As ever with FF it's like "aye but what bout him".

Edu has potential and if he works at his awareness and less fanning about on the ball he will go onto be an excellent midfielder.
At this minute he doesn't fill me or several more with confidence going into Sunday. If it's down to him or mcculloch for Sunday mcculloch IMO has to start ahead of edu.

Blinkerlessandsightfine loyal :)

GioLoyal
19-10-2010, 13:30
Over the past year to 15 months there's been a Propaganda blitz from some on here to talk up McCulloch.

I think, and it's only my opinion, that as McCulloch is being overpraised, Edu is being overcriticised.

Edu had a very good game at the weekend there and I felt he had a good game against Bursa and Manure.

Irvine96
19-10-2010, 13:34
has had some good matches for us but tends to drift out of games sometimes IMO

ayr__loyal
19-10-2010, 13:38
Some of the praise for McCulloch on here is way over the top IMO

He has definately improved and I like him but some on here talk about him like he's Kaka :ninja:

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 13:43
I see what you did there, very clever.......:blink:

I thought so too.

You are a nay sayer and possibly a racist.

>:)

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 17:23
The quotes are bollocks - I can't even be arsed
Going through it.

Because he has number 6 he is replacing ferguson?

So is edu replacing Hutton :confused:

No. Edu is replacing McCulloch tomorrow, thankfully.

Broadfoot/Whittaker are replacing Hutton. Same position, just like McCulloch has taken BF's position.

Fleck replacing novo :confused:

Err, sorry?

As ever with FF it's like "aye but what bout him".

Edu has potential and if he works at his awareness and less fanning about on the ball he will go onto be an excellent midfielder.
At this minute he doesn't fill me or several more with confidence going into Sunday. If it's down to him or mcculloch for Sunday mcculloch IMO has to start ahead of edu.

Blinkerlessandsightfine loyal :)

McCulloch is a distinctly average footballer at best, in any position Smith chooses to field him. Edu, on the other hand, could be a standout for us.

Simple, really.

Gallant13.VVV
19-10-2010, 17:27
He seem'sto take a bit of time to get going in a game, first 5/10 minutes he gives the ball away alot before he settles in?

macsloyal
19-10-2010, 18:17
For games such as the two we face tomorrow and Sunday, where it's possible our opponents will have the majority of possession, Edu will be one of our most important players. His strength is his ability to get about the pitch, breaking up opposition attacks and he usually offers a threat in an attacking sense too.

Some absolute guff written on this thread so far but it's all about opinions I suppose.

paisleyprod
19-10-2010, 18:22
funnily enough our best football has been at Tynecastle and 2nd half v Motherwell when Edu was playing and Lee wasn't.

I'm not having a pop at Lee here by the way but Edu has been decent of late.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 18:34
McCulloch is a distinctly average footballer at best, in any position Smith chooses to field him. Edu, on the other hand, could be a standout for us.

Simple, really.

so your point of because mcculloch is number 6 hes replacing ferguson is horseshite - so ill take the rest of your horseshite with a pinch of salt ;)

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 18:51
so your point of because mcculloch is number 6 hes replacing ferguson is horseshite - so ill take the rest of your horseshite with a pinch of salt ;)

Mate, let's not be silly. Lee McCulloch is not a Rangers-class central midfielder, he never will be and you know it.

Keep arguing all you like but let's keep it real.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 18:55
Mate, let's not be silly. Lee McCulloch is not a Rangers-class central midfielder, he never will be and you know it.

Keep arguing all you like but let's keep it real.

whats ''rangers class''.

for me right now Mcculloch is Rangers class.

10 years ago he wouldnt have got in the first 16 squad so wasnt rangers class then.

Would you honestly be more confident having Edu in central midfield vs the tims on sunday than McCulloch?

Mrs_Prso
19-10-2010, 18:58
I really don't get what people like about Edu - I just can't see it. Underrated most certainly isn't a word I'd use for him.

If he scores the winner tomorrow or Sunday though, I'll have his weans if he likes. :D

WhosTheDado?
19-10-2010, 19:01

Second half at Old Trafford he was the best player on the pitch. :roll:

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 19:03
whats ''rangers class''.

for me right now Mcculloch is Rangers class.

10 years ago he wouldnt have got in the first 16 squad so wasnt rangers class then.

Would you honestly be more confident having Edu in central midfield vs the tims on sunday than McCulloch?

Yes I would. 100%.

Lee McCulloch is quite simply not a central midfielder. I'm sure he's a big Rangers man but in playing terms, he's an accident waiting to happen.

TheWhiteEdu
19-10-2010, 19:06
top class athlete.

feel he isnt picking out the passes quick enough and can often get caught in possession which is frustrating.

defensively spot on and decent at spoiling oppositions attack

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 19:09
Yes I would. 100%.

Lee McCulloch is quite simply not a central midfielder. I'm sure he's a big Rangers man but in playing terms, he's an accident waiting to happen.

Your aff yer heid :eek: :D

Trevor Reznick
19-10-2010, 19:47
A fan, but been disapointed in him recently, needs to up the anti and run about instead of walking !!!

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 19:51
He is slow to receive ball and can misplace passes; but has stamina, positional sense, an eye for goal, a wonderful way of mopping up danger without going to ground....and he will improve.

McCulloch has had a great season but it is his 4th position and 4th season and he has struggled at times.....

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 19:54
He is slow to receive ball and can misplace passes; but has stamina, positional sense, an eye for goal, a wonderful way of mopping up danger without going to ground....and he will improve.

McCulloch has had a great season but it is his 4th position and 4th season and he has struggled at times.....

Whats that got to do with anything?

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 19:56
Signed as wide striker....then left wing....then left mid....centre half.

He is a decent, honest pro but he is someone who has taken time to settle....time many deny Edu.

Blackwithredtops
19-10-2010, 20:12
Good player imo

Form has been patchy so far this season but has done well in Europe.

Seems a little languid in style and tends not to crunch into tackles which may make him appear a little casual however he makes a lot of telling interceptions and generally keeps the play simple.

Good and can become better.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 20:21
Whats that got to do with anything?

He is a decent, honest pro but he is someone who has taken time to settle....time many deny Edu.

Its not McCullochs fault smiths tactic for the first 2 seasons was look left and Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt it to him :D

How might time deny Edu :confused:

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 20:29
McCulloch was given time and many positional changes.......and yet lots of posters seem to have given up on Edu. He will shortly be better than McCulloch as he is a better footballer, albeit at the moment McCulloch is relishing his role and playing well. I don't think anyone other than timps has denied that.

Cuddles
19-10-2010, 20:42
McCulloch was given time and many positional changes.......and yet lots of posters seem to have given up on Edu. He will shortly be better than McCulloch as he is a better footballer, albeit at the moment McCulloch is relishing his role and playing well. I don't think anyone other than timps has denied that.

I'm not denying McCulloch has done relatively well this season - considering he's playing out of position.

I just don't want to see Lee McCulloch playing centre mid for Rangers, in the same way that I never wanted to see Christian Dailly play there for us either.

rosstheger
19-10-2010, 20:46
Sasa Papac is our most under-rated player :D

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 20:48
Timps

The 'he can play anywhere' argument rarely proves accurate long term. McCulloch is not a midfield general and we know that but when everyone is fit he will always play....somewhere. We accept that and move on to winning I suppose. He has lot no-one down of late....although when he has missed games we've won and entertained anyway.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 20:51

are you saying time from the management team or fans because the abuse McCulloch was getting makes this thread like a wankathon over edu :eek:

He already is better than McCulloch technically. He just needs the awareness and game time to push forward and impose himself - however both are very different players but as is the way with follow follow players are pitted against each other instead of being judged on there own merits.

My own view would be to play both centrally and move davis back out right - but thats for a differant thread >:)

jigster

edu is in his 3rd season in probably the same position it's not mccullochs fault he has been pushed from pillar to post as to a position in the team, any poster on here has the same hang up about mo edu,he takes a touch to many & guilty of wanting a bit more time on the ball, its of no surprise Mo's best games have came when we've played 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 when we're compact in defence & midfield where the opposition in europe tend to drop off & then ask us to play through them.

wjm796
No, the majority of fans can see that Edu has talent and was signed as a young, raw, footballer who was a "diamond in the rough" he is slowly starting to find his feet as a player, same as Lafferty.

Two very decent talents who are no where near the best years of their careers.

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 20:53
I haven't criticised McCulloch!!! It wasn't me....

He was given time by management team...who shoehorned him anywhere until he found a role. His 5th role it turns out is his most useful....NOT as an enforcer as part of a 'two' in front of defence but as a midfielder with licence to tackle, but also to join attack or make passes etc.

jigster
19-10-2010, 20:58

He was given time by management team...who shoehorned him anywhere until he found a role. His 5th role it turns out is his most useful....NOT as an enforcer as part of a 'two' in front of defence but as a midfielder with licence to tackle, but also to join attack or make passes etc.

agreed 100%, both players have suffered from when once they are in a bit of form they invariably end up injured , thats just bad luck on both players part, i think if mo edu speeds up his decision making he will be the perfect foil for steve davis & naismith in a 4-1-4-1 with edu being the holding 1 & jelavic the 1 striker

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 21:00
One thing I will say....I don't miss the 4-2-3-1 with Thomson and McCulloch in front of back four. I know we won trophies and were hard to break down but tough to watch....this season's midfield is far more flexible, and at times entertaining.

BlueKidG
19-10-2010, 21:03

Im not on about you - but i remember some really scummy shit getting thrown about him.

See this shoehorned doesnt fit for me.

When he was badly out of form he was dropped - I remember Fleck getting a few games ahead of him and even novo being played wide left and IIRC he spent 2 months on the bench.

Every manager (and walter in particular) likes to have utility men - perhaps with us not having the money to buy one he has had to make McCulloch his utility man and it just happens he seems to have stumbled on his best position.

Earl of Leven
19-10-2010, 21:05
Utility man rarely works, although I understand the appeal with a limited budget. Often many roles are played averagely.

baystatebear
19-10-2010, 21:33
Seeing Edu with Rangers and particularly on International duty with the USA, my opinion of Edu is that he is a promising player, but still very much a work in progress. There are aspects to his game, in particular his passing, that needs refinement IMO.

In a few years, i could well imagine Edu thriving in La Liga or Serie A as opposed to the EPL.

KBoyd1690
19-10-2010, 21:37
I'm not denying McCulloch has done relatively well this season - considering he's playing out of position.

I just don't want to see Lee McCulloch playing centre mid for Rangers, in the same way that I never wanted to see Christian Dailly play there for us either.

McCulloch is a waste of space anywhere other than centre mid IMO.

He has shown that centre mid is his best position in the last 2 seasons.

Westberksloyal
19-10-2010, 21:40
top class athlete.

feel he isnt picking out the passes quick enough and can often get caught in possession which is frustrating.

defensively spot on and decent at spoiling oppositions attack

I'd agree that his awareness is poor, but fit lad who can break up play and he's got a good shot

CertifiedWeissfanboy
19-10-2010, 21:42
Its not McCullochs fault smiths tactic for the first 2 seasons was look left and Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt it to him :D

How might time deny Edu :confused:

So you're blaming Smith for McCulloch being shit here when he was used at left mid? Oh dear, give it up now. Jewell used the same 'punt it to the left' tactic at Wigan and it was the same with Scotland.

The lengths some go to to defend McCulloch is ridiculous. Incidentally, one can only wonder what the outrage would have been like if Edu or Bougherra played through the pain barrier for their national sides this week and subsequently f*cked themselves for 2 of the biggest games of our season.

BlueKidG
20-10-2010, 07:19
So you're blaming Smith for McCulloch being shit here when he was used at left mid? Oh dear, give it up now. Jewell used the same 'punt it to the left' tactic at Wigan and it was the same with Scotland.

The lengths some go to to defend McCulloch is ridiculous. Incidentally, one can only wonder what the outrage would have been like if Edu or Bougherra played through the pain barrier for their national sides this week and subsequently f*cked themselves for 2 of the biggest games of our season.

Same can be said with Edu.

Yes it was a combination of smiths tactics and mcculloch being very poor - iv already said he was way off form :confused: - dunno if you can read and take things in propery (I sincerely doubt it reading some of your posts).

McCulloch should never have played for scotland - i said it at the time - but if he didnt would he have been called a mercenary? a disgrace? a scumbag?
oh wait that only happens when people make things up about him - i cant remember any other rangers player getting the abuse mcculloch got on here so people sticking up for him are more than justified. Perhaps if he was a foreigner the ''purists'' would be a little more forthcoming ;)

davyboy_17
20-10-2010, 07:25

completely agree , think he's a clumbsy tackler for a central midfielder, i think big lee is a better all rounder than edu

TPol_RFC
20-10-2010, 07:33

So we managed to stop Man Utd scoring at Old Trafford with someone playing in defence who can't defend at all, that's some going!

Shotters Nation
20-10-2010, 08:24
So we managed to stop Man Utd scoring at Old Trafford with someone playing in defence who can't defend at all, that's some going!

He was decent against man utd but imo he is poor at right back and gets caught out too much and allows far too many crosses into the box from his side that costs a fair share of goals.

Jaws II
20-10-2010, 08:36
He was decent against man utd but imo he is poor at right back and gets caught out too much and allows far too many crosses into the box from his side that costs a fair share of goals.

Total and utter pish flaps, you make up total garbage about edu which has no basis on reality. So mo or any other central midfielder are responsible for crosses coming in? I think that's the role of full backs and wide midfield.
Nobody in midfield protects our defence more than mo.

BlueKidG
20-10-2010, 08:37
Total and utter pish flaps, you make up total garbage about edu which has no basis on reality. So mo or any other central midfielder are responsible for crosses coming in? I think that's the role of full backs and wide midfield.
Nobody in midfield protects our defence more than mo.

Hes oan about whittaker :D

Jaws II
20-10-2010, 08:40

Another player he is giving grief to?
Why on a thread about edu?

Cuddles
20-10-2010, 08:43

Actually, Whittaker's not dissimilar to McCulloch.

Both have terrible positional sense, both concede possession far too readily but both occasionally weigh in with memorable goals so they get a lot of slack on here.

BlueKidG
20-10-2010, 08:43
Another player he is giving grief to?
Why on a thread about edu?

Because as ever on ff the defence of players is justified with " what about Whittaker" "what about mcculloch" instead of having a normal debate on one players weakness or strength good old FF decides to stick up for a player by slating others.

BlueKidG
20-10-2010, 08:45
Actually, Whittaker's not dissimilar to McCulloch.

Both have terrible positional sense, both concede possession far too readily but both occasionally weigh in with memorable goals so they get a lot of slack on here.

Yes both are shite. We played with 9 men for the majority of last season and still romped the league.

Jaws II
20-10-2010, 08:49
Because as ever on ff the defence of players is justified with " what about Whittaker" "what about mcculloch" instead of having a normal debate on one players weakness or strength good old FF decides to stick up for a player by slating others.

I don't think I do.
Lee is a great squad player but I think Edu is better, and don't like unjustified criticisms of our players. I agree about discussing strengths and weaknesses however by many on here mo's weaknesses are exagerated while lee doesn't seem to have any at all.

Cuddles
20-10-2010, 08:59
Yes both are shite. We played with 9 men for the majority of last season and still romped the league.

They're not shite, they're just both very mediocre players who are extremely lucky to have landed at Rangers while we're so poor.

ayr__loyal
20-10-2010, 10:14
They're not shite, they're just both very mediocre players who are extremely lucky to have landed at Rangers while we're so poor.

So poor? Do you mean financially?

BlueKidG
20-10-2010, 10:15

Same could be said of all our squad

Perhaps only mcgregor would have got into dick advocaats squad.

*****GREG_RFC*****
20-10-2010, 10:31
Looks incredible one week and then a bombscare the next.

Was excellent at the weekend but at other times this season has been caught on the ball far too much but he is young, very athletic and the sloppy side of his game will be gone with more experience.

tarrman
20-10-2010, 10:42
shotters nation you must have been watching a different game, he was immense against man u. Constantly broke up play which was his role

ayr__loyal
30-04-2011, 15:23
Great to see the big man back to form today :angel:

Mr Online Bear
30-04-2011, 15:25
I think the stick edu has got in recent weeks is justified and he got pass marks today because we won heavily.

Harry's Da
30-04-2011, 15:30
I think the stick edu has got in recent weeks is justified and he got pass marks today because we won heavily.

In comparison to 'recent' performances he played very well, the stick was justified, likewise today he played well so should be given some plaudits for it.

A much improved performance brought a much improved response from the fans in the stands.

Stuart_WATP
30-04-2011, 15:31
Bumping your own old threads deserves a banning and to be furiously mocked by others.

:D

MountVernonBluenose
30-04-2011, 15:41
Good today but has had a nightmare of a season.

Earth Worm Jim
30-04-2011, 15:45
still one of our most over rated

1 good performance in a whole season will not mask that

Will-Not-Forget
30-04-2011, 15:46
The most rediculous thread I have every seen on the FF. Do you go to games? Stupid question, of course you don't!!! As if you did you would know that Edu is a shocking!!!
People who do not go to games have NO right to have any sort of opioions on such matters. How can you judge when you do not see?
If we had 11 players starting every week with the same ability as Edu then we would be relegated - thats how bad he is. Spend the money I spend supporting Rangers and you will be able to have an opioion like me!!!

belovedtopger
30-04-2011, 15:53
He's got ability I think. Unfortunately there have beent imes this season where he hasn't reached the level of ability that he has. Then again, I thought he played very well in the 3-1 game against the Tims and in the champions league games, particularly Valencia at Ibrox. Today he did well though

Mongo-Foot
30-04-2011, 16:02
The most rediculous thread I have every seen on the FF. Do you go to games? Stupid question, of course you don't!!! As if you did you would know that Edu is a shocking!!!
People who do not go to games have NO right to have any sort of opioions on such matters. How can you judge when you do not see?
If we had 11 players starting every week with the same ability as Edu then we would be relegated - thats how bad he is. Spend the money I spend supporting Rangers and you will be able to have an opioion like me!!!

Aye. Watching on the television doesn't allow you the same replays as you get when being at the game.

Shut the **** up.

smithy81
30-04-2011, 16:05
he's better than Kerkar

strider
30-04-2011, 16:06
This is a very interesting thread - most seemed happy to say he'd played well in the Champions League when it was first posted, and that was before his best game, Valencia at Ibrox.

Nowadays, the opinion is generally "he's shocking, always has been, hasn't don a thing all season" etc.

I'm glad this was bumped.

Chinabear
30-04-2011, 16:23
He's not under-rated, he just good player who takes so much unjustified abuse from his own "fans".

Harry's Da
30-04-2011, 16:30
He's not under-rated, he just good player who takes so much unjustified abuse from his own "fans".

Ignoring the glaring obvious serves you no good at all.

Chinabear
30-04-2011, 16:39
Ignoring the glaring obvious serves you no good at all.

Uh hu ... suddenly turned into a poor player as he ...how can he go from so bad to so good then? Nothing to do with injuries and perhaps too much being asked of him?

turrabear
30-04-2011, 16:41
let's put it this way he hasn't had a good season this season .only at time's has he shown what he is capable of doing.

robbee
30-04-2011, 16:48
He is only an average squad player and not even that most of the time. He contributes very little and I'd bite the hand off someone who was prepared to give us 750000 for him.!!!

baloobear
30-04-2011, 16:53
let's put it this way he hasn't had a good season this season .only at time's has he shown what he is capable of doing.

I'm not one of those fans that needs all of our midfielders to charge into every tackle, although some quality players over the years (e.g. Hemdani) have taken a lot of abuse for not being headless chickens. I thought he played really well last year, he closed down well, is quick in a foot race and is a real goal threat but, having said that, Edu's tackling is often poor when he makes one and he hasn't played at all well since January - and at times (last week's game) he's been woeful.

Rather than berate him endlessly, I'd rather we gave him he benefit of the doubt unless someone's going to give us most of what we paid for him and hope that Ally can get him motivated for next season.

RangersCentreHalf
30-04-2011, 16:54
Uh hu ... suddenly turned into a poor player as he ...how can he go from so bad to so good then? Nothing to do with injuries and perhaps too much being asked of him?

Injuries and "being asked to much" surely contribute to the level of a player :confused: You never really hear anyone saying "Oh, he's a great player but there is to much asked of him"

Tbh Edu didn't suddenly turn into a poor player it happend over a period of time. His performance last week was a shambles. He seems to be a confidence player who has no confidence at all this moment. I thought he was average today.

Harry's Da
30-04-2011, 16:57

He never went to being so good today, he played well, not outstanding, not fantastic.

Ignoring the fact he has been piss poor for the highest majority of this season, and placing some sort of blame on the 'fans' is ignoring what he has done on the pitch, which is, what really matters after all.

Asking a professional player to perform the basics of the game that is football is not asking too much.

As already said, credit where it is due, he played well today.

blueross
30-04-2011, 16:57
hes not good enough! imo

cameross
30-04-2011, 18:19
he's better than Kerkar

How do yo kn0w

God Bless The Papac
30-04-2011, 18:33
Liked him in his first 2 seasons, but has been extremely poor recently.. Improvement today though!

revsween
30-04-2011, 18:37

At times this season he has been shocking, didn't see the game today but glad to hear his forms returning

jdm1873
30-04-2011, 19:15
Should not be in the starting XI.
Nowhere near good enough based upon current form he should be benched and Hutton should start.

obiwan
30-04-2011, 19:21
He has been very average since he joined & definitley not worth the fee we paid for him, in most games he is about 5 yards off the pace of the game & does not offer a lot.

SCG
30-04-2011, 19:34
http://i56.tinypic.com/2va1uzl.png

I don't know about anyone else but I think the big man's doing a great job for us, playing almost every game this season due to our small squad and apart from a poor 1st half away to Hearts, he's hardly put a foot wrong. He just gets on with the job.

Big couple of games coming up and I reckon he could be a key player for us in them.

Anyone else been impressed?

If you send me a PM I will arrange to collect you and take you a quality optician as you undoubtably need your eyes looked at! Edu is as good as a man down. He is sh1t

ayr__loyal
30-04-2011, 19:39
If you send me a PM I will arrange to collect you and take you a quality optician as you undoubtably need your eyes looked at! Edu is as good as a man down. He is sh1t

I posted that in October

I bumped this thread for a bit of humour since he played well today, lighten up

scooter70
30-04-2011, 19:54
I assume Mo played alright today

Suppose we should be thankful for one decent game in last 6 months

rosbear
30-04-2011, 20:05
Credit where it's due - Mo had a great game today.

Iniesta
30-04-2011, 20:07
Did well today.

Had a few folk in the Match thread claiming he missed a "sitter" when the keeper saved it.

You have to wonder how long they've been watching football for :)

30-04-2011, 20:10
I was a big Edu fan, but he has been shocking of late.

My opinion is that since the Valencia game, his head went down and has been getting worse ever since.

Really pleased by reports that he played well today, hopefully he's turned the corner.

paisleyprod
30-04-2011, 20:55
why bump this? It is nonsense.

Mo Edu was more than decent when he came to us. Was also decent last season. This season apart from a few games he has been shocking as has the treatment he has received from fans.

Today he was fantastic and that is how I remember him being not so long ago.

Hopefully he can keep this up but no need to bump an old thread to try to prove a point as frankly he's been terrible and I'm a big fan of his who more or less thought he didn't have a performance like today in him any longer.

paisleyprod
30-04-2011, 20:56
I assume Mo played alright today

Suppose we should be thankful for one decent game in last 6 months

no need to assume. He was possibly best player on the park today.

You may have missed the league cup semi too? :D

Cooperfan
30-04-2011, 20:59
Mo Edu has talent. However he has been off-fom lately apart from the odd game. Only a blind man could fail to see that.

I'm hoping he can take his performance today and build on it thereby aiding us in winning the SPL title.

oldbean
30-04-2011, 21:04
given time he will produce

cj_rfc
30-04-2011, 21:07
he never hides that`s one thing about him.

i like him

jnloyal
30-04-2011, 21:16
lets be honest mate hes been shite. Mr Magoo could see that.

Today thought he had a very good game well done Maurice keep it up.

ian-rfc
30-04-2011, 21:18
I don't think he is a shite player,I do think he has been playing bad,but credit where it is due he was excellent today.

derek84
30-04-2011, 22:03
cant tackle,cant pass,cant win any headers are we talking about the same guy???

72 Blue
30-04-2011, 23:53
He had a good one today and I said to my Son on they way home that having him put in a good performance today helped us no end today and is no coincidence that we ended up winning so comfortable in the end. When he's off form, which he has been for most of the season, it's almost like playing with a man down. Others have to drop out of position to bail him out or he constantly gives the ball away. Today though he looked commited and was involved in a large part of the play in the middle of the park. My only critisism of him today would be he got himself into some good positions with the ball around the edge of the 18 yard box and bottle out of having a dig at goal choosing the square pass alone the line.

Well done though, if he's staying, I hope he can use this as turning point to consistantly better performances.

SpongebobSquarePass
01-05-2011, 00:03
I want to like him and he had a very good game today.

But for 2.5m I was hoping he could have turned up in some more games.

He has been on the whole mince since McCulloch got injured and he wouldn't have had the stick he has if he'd been playing well.

He still looks to have potential though and I don't think we should give up on him.

Russell WATP
01-05-2011, 00:11
He hasnt recovered from his injury he needs to rest pre season put this season behind him and concentrate on next season. Today we saw what he is capable of. But i dont think next season he will get in the 11 ahead of big jig which is a shame.